A Supernatural Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on The CW
So, Supernatural's long-rumored spin-off series finally has a name and a pilot order. Supernatural: Tribes. In addition to perhaps the worst title in recent memory, the series description—hunters and "tribes" of supernatural monsters fight it out in Chicago—sounds nothing at all like the long-running CW (olim WB) cult staple, includes (at least as far as I can tell) none of the original series' cast, and shows few signs of connection beyond existing in the same fictional world. While I'd like to hold off judgment until it actually airs, it nevertheless doesn't sound very promising.

That said, I have long believed Supernatural to boast a world and a mythology that would sustain further stories beyond those in the immediate orbit of the Winchester brothers. Instead of Tribes, I'd like to see Supernatural embrace the mini-series format, similar to the model of American Horror Story. Each series (about 12 episodes) would be a finite narrative connected to the already established Winchester story.

1. The Men of Letters

There's great pseudo-archaeological potential here as Sam and Dean continue to work out of the "batcave," the Men of Letters' stronghold in Kansas filled to the brim with occult objects and trophies. We saw briefly their extinction at the hands of Abaddon and caught a few glimpses in the underwhelming Oz-themed episode this season, but additional stories about the acquisition of these items and their competitiveness with the hunters could make for excellent television.

2. Samuel Colt

In a 2008 interview, then showrunner Eric Kripke mentions that the writers would sometimes procrastinate by imagining a series featuring Colt and a band of hunters in the American West. This is a good idea. The Colt revolver and the railroad devil's trap have always been some of the show's most interesting mysteries. Supernatural has always been half-western already, so tonally this should fit right in.

3. John Winchester

This is a bit of a cheat, since he's part of the family, but he spent Sam and Dean's childhood hunting around the country, compiling his journal, having love affairs with hunters and others, and generally living a life his sons continue to discover piecemeal. Overall this suits the strategy writers have taken for John Winchester, but a series of his own could humanize a character who has spent most of nine seasons as an inscrutable (and often disappointing) shadow over Sam and Dean.

4. Cain

We just met him, and we probably haven't seen the last of him, but Cain made an impression. Unsurprisingly, Supernatural played up the parallels between Cain and Dean, the two older brothers whose brothers are threatened by Lucifer. Cain's story about killing his brother to save him certainly echoes John's warnings to Dean before dying. It's played mostly to elaborate their differences, and as such it makes it promising as a foil for Supernatural's excellent first five seasons.

5. Another Sam and Dean

If I have a gripe about Supernatural, it's that it's habitually short on good female characters. There are some exceptions. Ellen and Jo were excellent additions and interesting hunters in their own right, likewise Sheriff Jody Mills; Bela Talbot was a smart, morally compromised wildcard; Charlie Bradbury is a great character and a fine complement to Dean but has been used with only moderate success; and even Meg got very fun and interesting at the end. But I've always been curious about how their story might be different if they were sisters, not a temporary gender switch with cheap body-swap jokes but an alternate world Sam and Dean in which they were both always women.

Now, if only I could find a way to bring back Chuck!
89 Comments
Comments (89)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 27, 2014
too bad Jeffrey dean morgan ALREADY has his own show!
Flag
May 30, 2014
While I adore Jeffrey Dean Morgan—and I'm really excited about his other TV work, especially his upcoming role in Shameless—I don't think a John Winchester mini-series would need to feature him. Even though he's been visible in some of the flashbacks during the boys' childhood, they've kept him mostly at the periphery after Season 2 for casting reasons, and they've already cast different actors for younger versions of the Winchester patriarch. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker if Jeffrey Dean Morgan refused the role, as he almost certainly would.
Flag
Apr 09, 2014
The spinoff is now called Supernatural:Bloodlines and some of the cast are changed with the "back door pilot" in Ep20 of this season..
LINK:Name change and Cast Changes

Flag
Mar 26, 2014
To me the clear choice would have been to do a Men of Letters spinoff and feature some of the MoL characters we've already seen in the series.
Flag
Jun 14, 2014
Agree MoL could work but the problem I see is that they were more collectors and compilers than hunters and its the Winchesters parents that brings the thinkers and doer's together. Any show that follows the MoL prior to Supernatural would be really slow if they follow what we know of them. I think the best choices would be Sam Colt, John Winchester. Cain might be interesting too.. Making a show about the Chicago monster families doesn't work for me as:
a) I thought the episode that introduced them wasn't a strong episode and I didn't really care to know more the families
b) it is so far away from main story and
c) I get the feeling it will be pretty soapy west side story, vampire diaries bollocks. Hope not but I definitely think it won't have the Supernatural vibe.
Flag
Feb 22, 2014
Good suggestions, we can only hope the writers are listening and at least some of those ideas get incorporated into the spin-off. I hope the actors they've picked are capable of pulling off the show's humor, it's pretty integral IMHO and I cringed when I heard one of the leads was from Vampire DIaries. It would be really great to have some strong, regular female characters - although Felicia Day is great in the role, I've always thought Charlie was a bit of a cop out as a 'surviving' female character, they seem to have made her intentionally OTT (and gay, of course) just to avoid angering female fans of the show.
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
Lets face it - everything sounds better than Supernatural: Tribes.
Crowley running his hell buisness would be far more interesting. Angelic affairs and figh over power would be perfect. Purgatory stories; Ghost tales; hell I would even go for more ghostfacers :)
Supernatural universe is so vast - why create another "The Originals"?
Flag
Feb 21, 2014
charlie in oz!
Flag
Feb 20, 2014
I agree with your ideas :) .
Flag
Feb 20, 2014
I agree!!! so spot on man, i vote for :The Men of Letters
Flag
Feb 18, 2014
All of the above sound MUCH better then Supernatural: Tribes. Miniseries format could be awesome, also a new direction for the CW. MoL spinoff could be really great - it would be a period piece, something the CW only just started getting into with Reign - why not in an established fictional universe? I also love the Samuel Colt idea. And I adore the Winchester sisters AU idea even more. Can't really say much about Cain, I'm behind on SPN, but that, too, sounds better than Tribes. The descriptions we had about it make me think it will be some kind of stupid, generic star-crossed lovers (or love triangle) thing that will completely tank in its first season... and not have any actual connection to Supernatural beyond the title (and forced guest appearances by established characters don't count.)
Flag
Feb 17, 2014
Or a spinnof with Meg and Castiel or as we know 'em : Megstiel xD
Flag
Feb 14, 2014
A spin off only with Crowley and Castiel!!

Supernatural: Angels vs Demons.

Flag
Feb 13, 2014
what about garth and his new chick?
Flag
Feb 12, 2014
I always believe the main point of SPN is Winchester brothers. And what fans loved most is the relationship between the brothers. So,

I vote for Winchester sisters.

Who knows we will get so many fanboys :P
Flag
Feb 10, 2014
Haha! The Winchester sisters have my vote!!!
Flag
Feb 07, 2014

I've been mulling this one over for a while and would love to see something like it folded into a Men of Letters spin off.

I've been especially entranced by the Men of Letters storyline. There's this huge wealth of untapped story telling potential there, and the SPN writers seem to just be ignoring it. Where did they come from? Where did they all go after the Abaddon incident? There had to be more of them than just that one little branch in Nowheresville, USA that the demon chick decimated! (Hellooo, international representation beyond 'some monster from x country') Also, WHY was it so important that John Winchester and his boys got initiated into the Men of Letters?

Then there was that episode with Prometheus, Zeus and Artemis and that BEAUTIFUL line about Artemis being the Goddess of Hunters, and it all just popped into my head: Apollo founded the Men of Letters, and Artemis taught the first generation of Hunters.

Apollo is a sun god, but he is also a god of knowledge, medicine and poetry. He's an intellectual. It seems natural that if he were to decide that the humans deserved a fighting chance against the monsters, he would set up a brains trust full of books and cleverness. His twin sister Artermis, a moon goddess, is his perfect opposite. She's a warrior, a hunter and the goddess of the wild. She's more of an action-woman, and her idea of helping the humans would be teaching them to fight the monsters and demons with their own hands. With me so far?

Now I know there are theories regarding the Abrahamic pantheon and how the Campbells were Lucifer's vessels and that the Winchesters were Michael's, and that Mary and John's union was tweaked into place by Cupid himself in order to make sure that those bloodlines were brought together.

We know there were rebel angels who didn't want the Archangels kicking off the Apocalypse, and they were even going so far as to go back in time and killing off Winchesters left and right so that Michael wouldn't have a vessel to inhabit. Lucifer and Michael couldn't have their End-of-Days smackdown if Michael didn't have a body, right? We also saw that the older, forgotten gods were meeting and trying to come up with ways to subvert the angels and their wicked plans as well. (and that GOLDEN line from Vesta about the 'hippy from Bethlehem!)

My theory involves the 'Other' gods (particularly Artemis and Apollo) teaming up with the rebel angels and Cupid in order to make a couple of vessels specially equipped to resist the Archangels that would possess them. Lucifer and Michael inhabiting ACTUAL brothers. This turned out to be the one thing that allowed Sam to overcome Lucifer, even for a minute, and that was all that was needed to stop the Apocalypse.

If John had been raised as a Man of Letters, as he was supposed to, he may have discovered his family's legacy as vessels of Michael. He might have even come across Mary Campbell naturally within their Hunting/Men of Letters-y jobs, and Cupid wouldn't have needed to step in. He would have had the knowledge to stop Azazel from killing him that one time so Mary never made the deal to save him that would eventually cost Sam's blood purity and Mary's own life. If Sam hadn't been tainted with demon blood he would not have been able to break the final seal (he still would have been Lucifer's vessel, but with Lu stuck in the Pit, who cares?)

Naturally, Abaddon buggered it all up when she destroyed the Men of Letters and chased Henry Winchester into 2013, but the plan was pretty solid up til then, right?

Anywho, this theory has just been rattling around in my head and I had to get it out there. If anyone has any thoughts, please share. ^_^

More+
Flag
Feb 12, 2014
didnt read all you wrote, only to the part about gods founding hunter and MOL. must say i love everything you said.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
Men of Letters and Colt. Hells, yes!

I like the idea of John Winchester, but it would just end up being Continuity Armageddon: The legend continues, but then abruptly changes ad finium.

I'm still curious as to what was Grandma Winchester's deal. My bet is that she'll be revealed to have been a witch (or a warlock) much to Dean's horror.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
I'd have gone with #4 for sure and have it focus on a pair of female hunters. And Amazon had an animated version of this titled "Supanatural". That looked pretty cool and it's unfortunate it wasn't picked up to show on their video stream. I would have loved to see that as a series.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
At least it's not one of those terrible backdoor pilots episodes from last season. I.E the Golom, Bestiality Witch, etc.

On the lack of female characters, I was under the assumption that it was due to the fact that the fanbase throws a fit everytime they try and bring a woman into the show...
Flag
Feb 15, 2014
It depends on who the character is, For me, I love Charlie, Sheriff Mills, and Krissy, but I really disliked Lisa and Becky.

I think the spin-off should be someone from the show that is loved that gets their own series. Isn't that usually how a spin-off works? But then it's really not Supernatural without Sam and Dean.
Flag
May 27, 2014
and I thought I was the only one who could not stand lisa...
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
Part of the problem with female characters is that they're so often brought in as love interests. Part of the reason I enjoy Charlie so much is that she and Dean can have an entirely asexual relationship dynamic. I would like to see some exploration of a similar dynamic without the woman necessarily being gay.

I have no idea which direction this season is going, in particular the relationship between Sam and Dean, which seems to be coming to some kind of head. Especially in the absence of Bobby, Kevin, and now Garth, both brothers need other relationships. Their self-destructive co-dependency cannot keep its holding pattern forever. I would be happy to see one or both develop friendships with a woman, perhaps a woman hunter.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
I like the Men of Letters idea. Someone in that universe should start working in a more organized way. Unfortunately I don't think the Supernatural mythology and "monsterology" is very strong. The monsters aren't fun enough. I think I would prefer a completely different show, that doesn't take place in the Winchester's universe, and has a different set of monsters. So I guess what I like about the suggestion is only that it's about people who get organized and try to find better ways to deal with the monster problem.

I also think that a Castiel spinoff might work. (The idea sounds less awful than most).
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I love the mini-series idea. That would be great!
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
no crowley?
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I love Crowley, but I like him just where he is. He's been more interesting this season than he ever has been.
Flag
Love love LOVE the idea of an antology like AHS! It would be a break from the overall tone of Spn(maybe), but then again, the show itself has kinda broken from the tone it set in the first season. I would watch a show that delivers (in one form or another) what it was supposed to portray: Each episode/season that feels like an independant horror movie. Season 1 of Spn was awesome, AHS was awesome, why not do it?
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
All of these sound brilliant and all would work and have success in there own right. I think exploring the men of letters more would be great, and yes I love the show how it is and in the past seasons we have had some strong female characters however we needs more abandon is kick ass but I think the boys need a female presence.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I would watch any of these, they look so much better than Tribes! Well, maybe not female Sam and Dean, although I woldn't mind a series about Ellen and Jo.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Samuel Colt one is the best. Let him also be a fan of literature who promotes some of his educated followers to form the Men of Letters in something like season 1. Then have the consecutive seasons show his challenges, help from Men of Letters, their challenges. Together the series could be just awesome as Supernatural. Wild wild West meats Dan Brown's DaVinci kind of series.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I don't think Cain's story is sustainable. It would spend far too much time being melodramatic. Him making Knights of Hell and make them kill ruthlessly and then grieving about it and his brother. No way anyone would take it for more than a season. The next season he kills them all and his girlfriend/wife. Retires. Too short a series.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
The author suggests a 12-ep mini series
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I completely approve a "Men of Letters". I would also like the John Wichester. I would like the story of Sam & Dean's mom as a young hunter, if there was a way to do it without bringing back the crappy Campbell's. On the other hand, I would like to see a Jo-Ellen-bartender.whose.name.forgot series.
I rather not have a female Dean & Sam, it would remind me too much to Lost Girl.
Flag
Feb 06, 2014
Thank you for mentioning Lost Girl! I knew there was a reason I didn't like the suggestion of a female Sam and Dean. Two sisters who hunt/fight monsters and solve mysteries is WAY too similar to Lost Girl, even though Kensie and Bo aren't actually sisters. Yeah, it might be a little more broody in the Supernatural style, but it would likely draw many unfavorable comparisons.

That being said, I was hoping that if the long-discussed spin-off ever happened, that it would involve the Men of Letters once we found out about them last season. It's an organization set within the same world, but with a lot of differences to the hunters. There could be so much potential behind it, except that the CW likely doesn't want a spin-off set completely in the past, and the entire organization is dead in the current Supernatural time-line.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Men of Letters most definitely sounds like the best subject for a spinoff. At least sounds better than the plot for the actual one does. But I want to see more of that on Supernatural before there's ever a spin off.

But the title of the current spinoff, Supernatural: Tribes sure does make it seem like TheCW is planning on more than one Spin-off,no?

Supernatural: Tribes
Supernatural: Legacies (Men of Letters)
etc..

Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Men of Letters sounds like the best idea, with Samuel Colt and Cain incorporated into the show.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I'm not sure I'd be overly keen to watch another nine seasons of any them but it would be kind of need to have a 12 ep season about each of your proposed ones (except maybe the chick version it just doesn't really appeal). Theres so many aspects of the show that could be fleshed out. The so far pitched concept sounds a bit bleh though.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Maybe one based around Castiel and his pilgrimage across America or something.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Television is in desperate need of a action/horror/scifi/fantasy/supernatural series with strong female protagonists (plural). While I fail to see how it would be tied into Supernatural, a female supercouple equivalent of Sam & Dean would surely fill a void in the current TV output... I desperately miss the days of Xena, Buffy, Sydney Bristow, and Max Guevara (I never really liked Nikita, and now, with it gone, I guess only the Orphan Black clones remains), and I can't really think of ANY female counterpart of the Winchester brothers (I guess Xena and Gabrielle is the closest thing to it).
I think the idea of having a female couple of demon hunters has a lot of potential... think a mixture of Kill Bill, Supernatural, and Thelma & Louise.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I take it you don't watch lost girl then.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
welll.... i tried.... watched the 1st season, but... i don't know... it might be that i found it too generic... or too low budget... or that I never got tolike the main actress...
does it get any better later on?
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
have just finished season 2 its probably not the best supernatural type show I've seen but its not terrible but I would say it got better in season 2.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
It would be kind of cool to have a John Winchester spin-off.
But it will porbably never happen, after all the show started to blame John for almost anyhting that went wrong in Sam and Dean's childhood. I always thought of him as one of those tragic characters trying their best but still failing in the eyes of the ones around them. Yeah, I know John wasn't the best father in the world...
Plus we would see John starting his journey after Mary's death and the relationship to his sons from his point of view
Flag
May 27, 2014
isn't he just too busy in magic city?
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
Why not a spin-off featuring Batman? But like... 'supernatural Batman'?
Flag
Feb 09, 2014
Like Dean gets to be a blue-collar Batman and Sam gets to be a very not-bald Lex Luthor?

Does that mean they'd overhaul the Impala as the new Batmobile?
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Supernatural: Justice League Dark
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
I doubt the CW would want to spend the money to do a period piece or anything to fanciful (like Charley and Dorothy in Oz). Also a John Winchester series would run the risk of causing all sort of continuity issues with the main show. Personally, my number one choice would be "Supernatural: Redemption" about Cas trying to make up for his past mistakes.
Flag
May 27, 2014
that would be a fascinating series. I adore castiel. and Crowley. and I adored Frederic lane as azazle. I love this show, but I hated the OZ thing, and the elves and the virgins...
Flag
Jun 22, 2014
Yeah, Cas is begging for his own series but only once "Supernatural" has folded it's tent once and for all.
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
By Reign if nothing else, the CW has shown their willingness to try out period pieces. And if my understanding is correct, many period TV shows don't actually cost much more per episode than most other shows. (It doesn't have to be Deadwood or Mad Men.) If it doesn't heavily rely on extensive visual world-building, which I doubt a Supernatural show would, it shouldn't be much of a problem. I think the CW might avoid it because period pieces don't always play well to their target audience.

As for Castiel, I'm not entirely sure how much more mileage there is in his story alone. He's certainly a popular character, and I'd hate to see him go, but I don't know that I'd want an additional hour of Castiel every week. If they'd given him a spin-off a few years ago (like Buffy did for Angel), certainly, but I think it might be too late now. A better solution would be to pick an underdeveloped nugget, a really good idea that hasn't been played as long as Castiel.
Flag
Feb 22, 2014
Mentioning Angel, I'm reminded of the various flashback scenes they did towards the end of that series which I thought played very well. Maybe a Supernatural series in that vein could star Anna (angels have been resurrected before, after all) on the run in the present, with the flashbacks being her time on earth with her 'garrison' leading up to her decision to fall. I agree Castiel has been too overused to star in a new series, but there are plenty of other angels we've seen (Gabriel, Balthazar, etc.) who could return if flashbacks were involved.
Flag
Feb 23, 2014
That's because he's more popular with the majority of the fanbase. True story the original plan was for Cas to die and Anna to be the resident angel but he turned out to be so popular they changed it.
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
And that's their period budget for the year. ;)
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Probably, and I'm not sure anymore period stuff would fit the viewer demographic the CW goes for. :)
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Could be but then the music you would have to use and the archaic slang that most CW target viewers wouldn't even understand. It was fun when Dean went back and worked with Elliot Ness but I'm not sure they would want a whole series like that. I would watch it but I'm far, far removed from target audience. :)
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
I don't think it's the period, as much as the characters in it. If they made a 50s spinoff with a cast of young goodlookers having sex, the way they have with Reign...
Flag
Feb 05, 2014
Well, that's one show, I just don't see them trying to do a "Supernatural" series in say the 40's or 50's and I certainly don't see them doing a spin off with John since he's played by JDM during his entire career as a hunter AND it would be difficult (if not impossible) to avoid continuity errors.

As for Cas give him the right cast to play off of and clip his wings so he's not all powerful and he could be great. His look was heavily based on John Constantine and I could very much see him in a role like that (sans the smoking and dubious actions). Make the main part finding and helping lost angels with monster hunting on the side and it could work. :)
Flag
May 27, 2014
alas, another Constantine fan...
Flag
Jun 22, 2014
Love the Hellblazer comic but not that stupid movie they did a few years back. The NBC series looks promising judging by the trailer online right now. I did keep catching my thinking of Castiel though as they, thankfully, maintained the main character's original look. :)
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
If I take these 5 suggestions and Tribes I would love to see Supernatural: Men of Letters as a full series (not a mini series).
This COULD also be set a bit further in the past, not in the years before they where whiped out, perhaps as far back as in the 19th century and could incorporate the story of Samuel Colt, so kind of a mixture between your two ideas.
Flag
Staff
Feb 04, 2014
Out of these choices, I'd rather see the Men of Letters spinoff than Supernatural: Tribes. The Men of Letters are a recent addition to the series' mythology which means there's a lot of story left to explore. I think The CW messed up by choosing to not follow this route.
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
the john winchester thing is intriguing, the whole plot would probably cover the entire journal and all the things in his storage bunker. and it would be nice to still have sam and dean in the mix but this time as young boys.

whats not in the list which i would be interested would be a spin off that would center on "death" the horseman... just that line when he said he is capable of reaping god... now that right there just blows your mind... and it sets up technical premise that reapers are able reap everyone.. angels, demons, etc... which would mean a hunter and a reaper working together or a reaper who is also a hunter... endless possibilities
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
I thought about Death briefly (which now that I read that sounds like something Oscar Wilde would have written but much quippier), but I'm not sure how he would work as a protagonist. I'm also not sure how he would work without Dean, since so much about why he was so amazing was the strange pseudo-friendship he formed with Dean.

As far as other small objects go, I've always wondered what happened to Dean's "god"-necklace. I think it would jeopardize the delicate balance the show writers have struck with the heavily Christian-based mythology if God ever were to show himself. Part of the reason this all works is because there isn't an all-powerful figure. But I've always been curious about what happened to God.
Flag
Feb 07, 2014
Didn't Dean's amulet get used in a potion or something?
Flag
Feb 09, 2014
No. Dean threw it away. After loaning it to Castiel in Season 5 so that he could find God to put an end to the apocalypse, Sam and Dean are killed (again) by hunters and go to Heaven in "Dark Side of the Moon" (S5ep16). They bounce around their favorite memories while trying to avoid Zachariah and are saved by Ash, who is able to send them to the Garden to talk to Joshua, the only angel who speaks to God. God's not interested in helping them avert the apocalypse anymore, and beyond sending the boys back to their bodies (this time with their memories of Heaven), he's not going to interfere.

Distraught by God's seeming disinterest and losing faith in Him, a dejected Castiel returns Dean's amulet. Disillusioned by his glimpses of Sam's favorite memories, none of which involve Dean or his family, Dean in turn loses his faith in Sam, who gave him the necklace when they were kids. Leaving the hotel room, Dean drops it in the trashcan despite Sam's pleas that they still have a chance to stop the end of the world.

As far as I know, it's not been seen again.
More +
Flag
Feb 04, 2014
Men of Letters is the definitive choice here as it can encompass all the other options if done as a miniseries or as a one-off format. The question of bringing back Chuck should also include bringing back Gabriel / Loki because he was the coolest angel next to Cas followed swiftly by Balthazar (if only because the actors Sebastian Roche and Richard Speight Jr. are awesome!)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members