A Supernatural Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on The CW
I use to look forward to this show, its honestly feeling like its stalling significantly sure major thing happen. But the stuff that use to appeal to me has all but gone from the show.

The pop culture remarks "If things go "breaking bad" Cass will make it" just seem annoying now.

I feel link they next big move is Sam will die and be replaced by someone and the show will drag on and on.

Do I want it to end? in most cases I would say now.. but well i really think its time that Sam and Dean hung up there respective hats.
Comments (12)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Well, the thing about the refrences is that origionally they were refrencing classic tv shows and movies so it was like their background. The more current refrences are a bit odd but I guess it just means they have more downtime we don't see or something. :)
Flag
I am geuinly suprised at the intellectual comments i got. No flames no arguments. Just people talking. Amazing! Thank you all.
Flag
Are you saying you thought we were all idiots? I'm j/k of course... ;)

No it's a valid question, and I think you are correct in your assessment, sadly. I recently watched X-Files on Netflix (I skipped a lot of standalone ep's, cuz I was more interested in the overall alien arc, but I digress...) The later seasons, after Mulder got abducted were a steady downward spiral. The last season being just flat out discgraceful for something that was once great...

SPN is still a fun, cool show, and I like the bros, so I still watch. But let's face it, the intensity, the urgency, is just not there anymore. ... Bottom line, there isn't that much quality tv out there imo. I am very picky. As the poster below me noted, the setup for this season was very promising. But I feel like 7 epsiodes in, we should have gotten more milergae out of it, instead of this feeling that the writers are dragging their feet. I think Season 10 should be the end. GIve it a proper sendoff. Let this once great show retire, and go out in style (I hope). Please.
Flag
To be honest, the show has had its ups and downs. I've always been a big fan of the stand-alone storylines of season 1, wasn't a big fan of season two, disliked season 3 in general, thought season 4 was PERFECT, thought season 5 was near perfect, HATED season 6 (though "The French Mistake," "Frontierland" and "Clap Your Hands if You Believe" were admittedly awesome eps.) thought season 7's "big shakeup" was uninteresting and the Big Bad was the least scary villain ever, and season 8 was both incredibly bad (first 9 eps with Amelia Flashbacks) and also quite good (Benny, Crowley as the real Big Bad, the Men of Letters and Abbadon) Season 9 has some great ideas but I am worried they might fail in execution like the Sera Gamble seasons did. You've got a near invincible Hell Knight, hundreds of pissed off angels, a library of resources we've just started scratching the surface of, and Cas has no powers. The possibilities are endless, but the showrunners have dropped the ball with these on a few occasions. Eve had tons of potential but was wasted after 3 episodes, the Leviathans could have been amazing had their leader been more ancient and not a Donald Trump ripoff. And Purgatory... My god Purgatory. You could've had Dean fighting every monster he's faced in the past (GORDON!) but instead we get a few vamps and a bunch of Leviathans. Brilliant concepts, wasted execution.
More+
Flag
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but when Jeremy Carver took over from Sera Gamble beginning from Season 8, didn't he always say he envisioned the show heading towards an ending at the Season 10 mark? When he said that back then, well, it seemed a bit presumptuous to me, but now it could realistically be done. The show's ratings have improved with the move from Wednesday to Tuesday, they're doing that back-door pilot for the 20th episode of this season so you know The CW want a potential spin-off to continue the Supernatural world, and both main actors are contracted for a tenth season should it be renewed. With all this info, I'm saying Season 10 will be the last.

Regarding the quality, I can't actually comment, because I've only been watching it spasmodically since it began airing here in Australia. It's always had horrible/ constantly changing timeslots on free-to-air television here, which has made it difficult. I watched all of Season 1 and the beginning of 2, but got lost somewhere in the middle. I would have caught snippets of Seasons 3 and 4 at the very least. I watched majority of 5, but really only tuned in towards the end of seasons 6 and 7. Since Season 8 (my discovering of other means of obtaining television) I've kept up to date, so my knowledge on what worked well previously and may not work now is limited. I personally support it because it's a genre show, but it's far too much like a procedural for my taste (I'm a fan of highly serialised television) so I stick with it for the longer arcs, which the show, unfortunately, makes a habit of painfully dragging out.

As for The X-Files reference, I recently realised that one of the major reasons for the longevity of genre shows like Supernatural (9 Seasons and counting), The X-Files (9 Seasons), and Charmed (8 Seasons) is the relatively small amount of main cast members in comparison to other shows. Genre shows are naturally more expensive to make, but by minimising the amount of major cast members, as these shows all did, the network doesn't have to continuously pay a large cast of actors more and more money each season, but rather two or three, which is one reason I think these shows have done/ did so well.
More+
Flag
I'll admit, I have no idea what "If things go breaking bad, Cas will make it" actually means. So... Cas is a drug manufacturer? Walter White was being hunted down by a country-wide network of angry angels?

One wonders where the brothers get enough spare time to take in the all the movies and TV shows that they reference. In this episode alone Dean referenced Breaking Bad, Hunter Games, Zero Dark Thirty, and most likely the Avengers movie. And since he's directing the comments to Kevin and Sam, who seem to know what he means, that means they've been keeping up on all of that as well. I guess Kevin caught an AMC marathon of BB between tablet translation sessions.
Flag
However, a person doesn't have to watch all episodes or see a whole movie to get a gist of what the show or movie is about.
Flag
Well, in the "Changing Channels" episode, Dean criticized prcedurals because they are in "500 channles and they all look the same" (or something like that), so it always seemed Dean had plenty of time to watch TV, possibly in all the roadside motels they've stayed in.
Flag
Well, the term was used in the "Breaking Bad" pilot... Jesse said it was strange that a 40-something yo would suddenly "break bad" So, I guess it was a term before the show? I'd never heard it but I guess it makes sense.

I guess in this case, other than a weak pop culture reference, that Cas would go turn from friendly (and useless) Cas to hard-core kick-arse Case if needed.
Flag
Going by the urban dictionary, it can either mean:

"to challenge conventions, to defy authority and to skirt the edges of the law."

"to go wild, get crazy, let loose, to forget all your cares and just plain not give a sh**, to have a great time, to break out of your mold."

Neither one seems to be appropriate. Dean is saying it like something will happen to Castiel, when it seems to mean something that Castiel himself would do.

Granted, it looks like next week Castiel will break bad, but Dean wouldn't know that.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members