A Supernatural Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on The CW

The Supernatural apocalypse has been stopped again, whew! Only this time, it wasn't Sam and Dean putting the lid on Satan, it was CW execs preventing a truly awful idea from being made into a television show. The network has officially passed on the proposed Supernatural: Bloodlines spinoff, TVLine reports

The news comes the same day that The CW ordered new shows about a med student who is a zombie and solves crimes (iZombie), a really fast guy (The Flash), a group preventing the apocalypse (The Messengers), and a pregnant virgin (Jane the Virgin). There's no word on the network's final pilot that was in contention, Identity, but a lack of word means it's probably out. 

Audiences got a taste of Supernatural: Bloodlines last week, when the backdoor pilot aired as a Supernatural episode. The "Godfather with fangs" concept followed Ennis, the son of a cop who discovered that Chicago was run by five monster families after his girlfriend was killed. There was also some forbidden love between a werewolf and a shapeshifter, and a bar where monsters hung out. MaryAnn did not like it. Kaitlin did not like it. I did not like it. My cats HATED it. In fact, much of the Supernatural fandom didn't like it, either. Either The CW heard our groans or it had its own suspicions; regardless, it did the right thing.

But hey, Supernatural: Original Flavor is coming back next year!

How sad are you that Supernatural: Bloodlines won't be a series? Sad, really sad, or anti-sad? Did The CW make the right call?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2017

Season 12 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/4/2017

Season 12 : Episode 20

141 Comments
Comments (141)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I was always haunted by the loose ends in this episode before I found this out! But honestly that was just for Ennis Ross and his father being a hunter (and alive!). It would have been interesting to see him discover that whole world and his dad as a part of it. I don't think I could've watched an entire show like this episode though. I really couldn't care less about the pretty rich white people family drama...
Flag
The episode's Romeo and Juliet plot was truly the one thing that ruined the expectations of the show; other than that, I would have enjoyed it as a spin-off! It truly would have been interesting to see things from the monster's view
Flag
Any spinoff from this show should focus on one of two things.
1. Men of Letters. i think that would be a great show with much potential!
2. The adventures of John Winchester and children Sam and Dean. TBH i believe everyone would like to see more of the childhood of Sam and Dean up until Season 1 Episode 1. :)
Flag
Another good spinoff would be something with the Judah Initiative.That would be really awesome! They literally tease Aaron at us and then disregard it entirely.
Flag
Am I the only one who was actually excited to see this? I really enjoyed the episode :C
Flag
You are not alone.
Flag
I loved the episode! I would have watched it, was nice to see someone who looked like me be a main character for a show focusing on the supernatural. Sad and disappointed it won't be happening. I think it had a lot of potential.
Flag
I honestly thought this was a parody of vampire diaries or gossip girl with fangs or some other BS cookie cutter crap. To much talkie talkie, gossip gossip, everyone sleeping with everyone. Models playing teenagers pretending their lives and petty crap is the most important thing on the planet.

I am thankful to every deity in the series for them not picking up this UTTER PIECE OF SHIT! I honestly did think it was a joke and it annoyed me enough to right this rant 15 minutes into the episode. We don't need another pansy tv drama with paranormal themes.

People liked supernatural because it wasn't like vampire diaries or any other pissy little weak drama series.
Flag
I like this episode! It would be a great show! The best episode in long time! Please, change your decision to cancel it! We need something new!
Flag
It's everything except new.
Flag
Actually I believe Supernatural: Bloodlines had the potential for a great series.
Flag
Same Herr
Flag
Glad it wasn't picked up. Bloodlines was basically Twilight meets the Sopranos.
Ghostfacers would be funny, but it would get old quickly. Any prequel based on dead characters is ultimately a dead end (excuse the pun) and would be lucky to last a few seasons.
The Men of Letters however is the perfect spin off. It's largely open-ended, can be based on virtually any time or place, and is a very intriguing Indiana Jones-ish type story. Go with that.
Flag
Good riddance!
Flag
I'm all for a Spin-Off, but I'm glad this one got cancelled. It wasn't the right fit, it had little to do with what Supernatural is about. I got the feeling from it that the makers from Bloodlines didn't have the first clue about what makes Supernatural tick - or what the fans want to see.
A series about Men of letters with Flashbacks in the 50s? I would watch something like that in a heartbeat!
Flag
Bring back Kol in The Originals..
Flag
Thanks CW for not starting that blood line thing.This was right thing to do. Supernatural is something different. It's just not a show, but it has become part of our life.
Flag
Just for the record, I kind of liked Ennis (perhaps because he's actually British, it could just be bias on my part) but I don't think he could carry a series. I don't think Kol (he will always be Kol) could carry a series either, unfortunately he just doesn't have the charisma that the actors who play Klaus and Elijah have. And I feel that Supernatural has a very niche group of followers (see The Real Ghostbusters) and it wouldn't be a good idea for a spin off at all. The fans of the show are fans of the characters and to bring new people in using the same lore won't work. It's not the lore we love, it's the people in the series if that makes sense!!
Flag
IM A BIG "SUPERNATURAL" FAN.... BUT, I CONSIDER THIS AS A GOOD THING THEY CANCELLED "BLOODLINES".. LET THE WINCHESTER BROTHERS, CASTIEL & CROWLEY BE IN OUR MINDS FOR THE YEARS TO COME WITHOUT HAVING HAVING A SCAR JUST BECAUSE OF ITS' SPIN-OFF....
EVEN IF THEY MADE IT, IT'S JUST GOING TO BE ANOTHER OUAT-IN WONDERLAND.. (NO OFFENSE INTENDED)
Flag
how come it can get any worse than the originals?
Flag
if you compare originals with Vampire diaries... the spin-off (originals) is FAR BETTER in both acting & storyline.. just think about it :D
Flag
I agree! The V.D. became bored and hope the final episode is coming soon. Like with Supernatural. 8 and 9 season is boring for me, tired to watch angels problems...
Flag
well... angels & demons problems are better than having "LEVIATHANS" AROUND! :D itz a good thing they turned the story back to its' right path.. otherwise there wont be a season 9 to watch...
Flag
If they had made bloodlines, I would have 1 show less to watch....
Flag
Oh well it didnt make it ,But I hope one of those new shows make it .I can admit I was curios to see it a show with an actuall storyline and Jensen had a baby this year so he will probably take a break from acting and the show has run for an awfully longtime.
Flag
I'm glad it wasn't picked up. I did not like the back door pilot although the concept of "godfather with fangs" was something I would enjoy, the execution was not right for me. Especially since they were not gonna be importing any characters from SPN, perhaps if they had added Garth or the cop lady I could have gotten more behind it. But I really don't understand why it needed to have the Supernatural name on it and the acting from the cast was terrible aside of the guy who played Kol.

If it had been made I would have watched it out of loyalty to SPN and out of curiosity but I'm still glad it wasn't picked up.

Flag
I wish the season 10 of Supernatural will be the last. They may make this show in 2015-16 season!
Flag
i agree with you completely. Nathanuel buzolics acting was above par but everyone else faded in comparison. Especially the female cast.
Flag
After reading how horrible everyone thought it was, I actually didn't find it all that bad. Maybe my bar was set super low but I liked the new characters. the only thing I'm confused about is why it was even a Supernatural spin-off at all - it could've just been another CW show without the boys and it would've worked.
Flag
they could have brought over Garth, the cop lady, the red head who went to Wonderland, etc.
Flag
That redhead..u mean Felicia Day aka Charlie, and the cop lady is Jody Mills, gah some fans
Flag
i agree. they should have done one of two things, import characters we like from supernatual or just create a new show all together with supernatural attached to it at all.
Flag
It was pretty ordinary.
I wonder if it was not a spin off of Supernatural if it would of got picked up?, I was a bit resentful myself that they put the Supernatural title in it.
Bring on Supernatural : The Crowley Chronicles :)
Flag
That's what I was thinking they shouldn't have tried tk attach supernatural to it
Flag
i would sooo watch the Crowley Chronicles.
Flag
As much as I didn't like Bloodlines, I now think it doesn't sound as bad as 'Jane the Virgin'. And please stop with the pre or post-apocalyptic shows...it's getting tiring.
Flag
I'm very pleased about this development (or lack thereof) mostly because the real show won't have to bend over backwards to get its mythology to match Bloodlines.
Flag
Now all I'm waiting for is an episode where Sam and Dean go back to Chicago and kill the whole Bloolines cast.
Flag
Can't say that I'm sad to hear this because judging by last week's intro, I didn't think too highly of this show anyway.
No offence to Lucien Laviscount, but he was not believable as the main hero. He's a little too scrawny and timid to be the lead in a show like this. I also felt like the show was heading in a soap opera direction. A little too much Vampire Diaries-ish and not enough Supernatural-ish.
I'm not sad this show won't be on, but I'm very sad they messed up the chance to continue on with one of the best series that I've ever watched. I think they should have went with The Men of Letters or maybe a younger group of hunters (the ones that guest starred). Maybe that would have been better?
Flag
If anybody should get a spinoff it should be Castiel. A Castiel spinoff after Supernatural is finished could be awesome and they could bring back some characters like Gabriel for it.
Flag
The problem is that Castiel is needed in Supernatural he makes the show so much better if he get the spinoff he will be not around so much any more what sucks!
Flag
They made the right call.For a show so long in the planning it was awfully written and cast on the whole.Casting british actor Lucien Laviscount as a lead to a carry a show was a big mistake and laughable to most people who know him from his UK work were hes barely seen as adequate in medium roles.Hes viewed in the UK more as a celebrity z lister after he appeared on Big Brother and isnt taken seriously as an actor.Why CW cast him is beyond me.
Flag
thank goodness for that
Flag
At least they should send Sam and Dean to clean up Chicago in season 10.
Flag
Yeah,coz that is what you wanna see in season 10....this piece of a shit show wasn't picked up,so why would you wanna see this in season 10? I know you meant it as semi-joke,but it's almost like,you wanted that show to get made,so you'd watch it and later bitch about it,how awful it is.
Even if Sam or Dean mention something that happened in Chicago,let alone go back there,would be too much for my taste. Let it be dead and stay dead....
Flag
I could see Dean killing off all the families, with the First Blade, and then spouting a cheesy one-liner like "You've just been canceled."

It'd be extremely corny, but I'd laugh.
Flag
I would love to see Dean becomes a vampire and gets the city:)
Flag
I'm so glad this wasn't picked up
Flag
Apparently in a poll on the CW's website, only 33% of viewers said they would tune in to Bloodlines after watching that episode. That may have had a huge hand in killing it.
Flag
Does this mean I get kol back on the originals.
Flag
Thanks to the CW for wasting a whole Supernatural episode for this lame attempt of a backdoor pilot…! :-/
Flag
WOW. So instead of a SPN spin off, CW lets pass a stupid idea like a ZOMBIE solving crimes? REALLY? People hate the idea of Tribes so much that they'd rather have zombies solving crimes instead on their screens?
Flag
Just be happy iZombies is not one SPN spinoff! :)
Flag
Well I guess that's one way to look at it. Still shows like that and Jane the Virgin..what is CW thinking?
Flag
When it's created by Rob Thomas.. yes. I'll give iZombie a definite chance.
Flag
The idea is just dumb though. The protagonist has to EAT brains in order to maintain her humanity. The concept of a detective 'zombie'...I dunno what's going on with all these new ideas where zombies suddenly can think and everything. :/
Flag
A shapeshifter is in love with a werewolf but their love is thwarted by an ongoing war between feuding Werewolf/Vampire/Shifters/insert other supernatural species mob-type families. To many people that would seem ridiculous too.

I've never found anything zombie-related remotely interesting so it's not like I'm jumping up and down at the concept. But we haven't seen any footage at all for iZombie and Rob Thomas has a good track record for creating the type of shows I find entertaining. On the other hand, I thought the Bloodlines pilot was simply bad TV. So even as a Supernatural fan, I'm far more optimistic for iZombie than I could ever be for Bloodlines.
Flag
Yeah I'll admit the backdoor pilot was boring and I wasn't much into the concept of Tribes either but iZombie sounds like an equally bad idea from the get-go and so are the other ideas that got passed. The 100 was a bad show as well. CW just has a crap load of bad shows.
Flag
Yep. Bloodlines was that terrible.
Flag
I need to see this episode to determine for myself if the CW did the right thing. I was looking for more diversity on the network. Anyway, I'm not interested in a Men of Letters spin-off. According to the show, they stayed inside a lot and read books, did research, look down on hunters. Even the episodes where they are the focus, I've found a bit boring. The one about Dorthy and Oz was particularly disappointing.

Maybe there doesn't need to be a Supernatural Spin-off to have a mafia war going on between supernatural creatures. I don't see why it still can't happen, just don't tie it in with the Supernatural mythology or characters.
Flag
Awesome, I want to see Jane the Virgin. that log line sounded great.
Flag
Spoiler!! Between the Supernatural seasons one or both of the brothers did go back to the town rid the town of all Demons after they found the body of the kid and his "dead" father. In the end of the never to be filmed ep Sam and Dean stand next to the kids grave and Sam looks at Dean and says why do they never listen.... the end!
Flag
Umm, what?
Flag
iZombie eat jjafargi brains :P
Flag
Phew.
Flag
I would love to watch a spin off around Castiel as Misha Collins but big NO NO to blood lines.
Flag
I'm pretty okay with that decision, and I haven't even seen the episode yet, I still dread watching it, even though Sam and Dean are in it. The other commenters have some great ideas, and I wouldn't mind those, but what they're saying about Bloodlines, it must just totally suck.
Flag
Well, I watched it, and it didn't completely suck. Not good enough to call Supernatural anything, though. Flush it!
Flag
AWESOME! The CW did one thing right for once ...

Hoping that The Flash is a disaster. Stop the spin-offs. The originals is failing ... isn't that an indication enough that the Flash will crash and burn? + the lead can't act his way out of a paper bag. I wouldn't be so opposed to it if they chosen someone that can actually act.
Flag
I also think The Originals sucks, but I'm pretty excited about Flash. I don't see it exactly as a spin-off but a different superhero show in the same universe.
Flag
originals is failing?????
wow which world do u live in. originals is gazzillion times better than TVD. ever since originals came to tv i dint watch TVD. last episode was one of the best episodes of any show ever shown on tv.
Flag
Yes, every week it's hitting a new series low in the ratings. Most likely it will not get a third season ... (I know it's been picked up for a 2nd)

And what originals? Rebekkah left? there's only two of them left lol (out of 6/7?;can't remember)
Flag
Actuallly the Original Family Consisted of Klaus (Original Hybrid) MIchael (First Vampire Ever) (The Rest are just Original Vampires) Elijah, Fin, Kol, Rebekkah. So That is 5. The Mother was a Witch and was not even an Original Witch. Fin hated being a Vampire so he doesn't Count. Kol is most likely coming back since this show Bloodlines Failed. And Michael, Esther and Fin, are back for Season 2 of The Originals. The Originals is better than the Vampire Diaries because it doesn't focus on the same love triangle. It shows how awesome Vampires and Werewolves really are. Plus Rebekkah left because her Actress Claire Holt wanted Time off. And PS I cant help but read your comments in Stefans voice.
Flag
Could the supernatural horror type shows be going out of vogue with viewers for a while ?Theyve had a good run as a genre since Buffy but perhaps theyve been overmilked and the goose that lays the golden egg is rebelling?
Flag
First of all , originals is showing pretty steady ratings. 0.6-0.8 in 18-49 demo every week with avg. 1.4-1.7 m viewers. considering whats it up against at 8 pm slot ( NCIS , Voice , Shield) i think they r pretty satisfactory. 29th april episode hit best tuesday ratings for CW in a long time.

Having said that i dont care about ratings. all i care is how entertaining the show is. as most of ppl record the shows and watch them later. ratings only show what is being watched while its being broadcasted. i cant choose between NCIS, SHIELD and originals. i like them all so does most of ppl . so rating does not show how entertaining a show is accurately.
And originals is pretty entertaining. just read last episodes review by Price and read comments. you will see at the moment it is everything.

and originals started with 3 originals, rebekkah left so 2 left. there were never 6-7 . there were finn and kol. they were least entertaining and were killed even before the start of originals. show is about klaus and elijah only. rebekkah leaving was hurting , but i dint miss her much till now.
More +
Flag
pretty sure Michael and Esther were a part of the Original family ... so that makes 7. and hm, the originals was a bad idea. they should have kept them in the TVD universe.
Flag
The good news...this debacle was stopped before it began

The bad news...this proves to networks that backdoor pilots are a good idea
Flag
Arrow had a great one for Flash,so not all are bad...
Flag
Exceptions shouldn't make rules.

I don't know if I'd call the Flash pilot "great". As a standalone introduction, it wasn't bad. As it integrates into the actual Arrow story...meh.

These are episodes the networks are willing to burn to gauge whether a new series has legs to stand on. With 15 of 23 episodes of Supernatural being expendable this year, there was lots to choose from...further evidence to me that there are WAY too many episodes.

If they want to spinoff, put the work in, create a quality show and let it stand on it's own merits. No other new series has this shortcut available, and clearly The CW half assed their way to killing a bad concept before it got started.
Flag
supernatural fairy world with charlie and dorothy
Flag
i actually like this idea...would be nice
Flag
So... how about Supernatural: Men of Letters then?
Flag
HOW! The Men of Letters SAT ON THEIR ASS AND READ BOOKS! Hunters are the ones that did stuff.
Flag
Yes! Men of Letters is a much better idea!
Flag
Supernatural: Men Of Letters.
This needs to happen!!
Flag
YES!! Great news this junk show that got noting to do with Supernatural and even had mistakes in it not fiting in the Supernatural rule book will not come to pass maybe they create this show one day without the Supernatural name as a stand alone show!
Flag
Those "mistakes" (I'm assuming you mean monster lore) were there long before Bloodlines showed up.

Season 9 of Supernatural destroyed Werewolf lore by giving them the power to "transform" on their own (so basically a carbon copy of vampires), and in "Blade Runners" there is very clearly a shapeshifter that changes shape without shedding its skin.

Don't blame Bloodlines, blame Jeremy Carver.
Flag
calling whatever that was a spin-off is ridiculous, it had none of the ingredients of the original Supernatural series in it.
Flag
Thank God and CW this was stopped in its tracks! It was horrible!!!! And other for the fact that it had monsters in it had nothing to do with Supernatural. Hell, if you told me this was another Vampire Diaries spinoff I wouldnt have known the difference.
Flag
When the hunter had no idea how to hunt, knew this spinoff was in trouble.
Flag

Cool!This turkey of an idea is now a distant memory.All effort now should be on this(possibly) last season of Supernatural.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Training Day Sunset
    NEW
    CBS