A Supernatural Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 12, 2017)
Depends on who you ask. A show with 12 seasons under its belt is quite an accomplishment, especially for one that averages 22 episodes per season. Supernatural is a classic show that has a cult following big enough to support it. Not only is the show solid in popularity, as season 13 has already been confirmed, but it may also be expanding into new territory.
According to Mark Pedowitz, President of the CW network, “If the ratings hold, the show could outlast my tenure in this chair.” The spinoff of the show, Bloodlines, even though it was not picked up as a series after the “pilot” storyline aired during Season 9, still has the support and hopes for success by the network and the actors. It remains a priority project for the network.

Supernatural was slated for a series finale after its fifth season in 2009. At its inception, writers and producers framed a show that would last five seasons from beginning to end of the storyline. The show’s mass appeal encouraged the network to explore new and innovative adventures and exploits for the Winchester brothers. It's popularity expanded dramatically after it was picked up by streaming services such as Netflix and Hulu.

When the supposed last season aired, Peter Roth, President of Warner Bros. television, and Mark Pedowitz combined their efforts to continue the show. Working with talented writers and willing actors, the duo has managed to promote a winning show that has the potential to continue for many years to come.

The Fated Family

In season 1, the viewers get a sense that the Winchesters, besides the fact that they hunt mythical monsters, are not like other families. When Dean dies and is brought back when his father makes a deal with a demon, trading his soul for Dean’s life, it is the start of the understanding that survival of the Winchester family is necessary. They are fated to play an unavoidable role in the oldest conflict known to humanity. All Winchesters (Dean, Sam, Mary, and John) eventually come back from the dead, Hell, Heaven or Purgatory.

Initially, viewers are led to believe that John, the father, is a hunter who rears his sons to be hunters. While this is true, it is not the whole story. John is actually a Man of Letters, traditionally a higher station than hunters, by default because his father belonged to the organization. A mission for the organization takes John’s father away from the family and John grows up with no knowledge of his heritage. He meets and marries Mary, who comes from a family of hunters, linking Sam and Dean to their lifestyle on both sides of their family.

Sam and Dean are fated to be hunters and/or Men of Letters but are also the ideal vessels on Earth for archangels Michael and Lucifer. The winner of a fight between the angels is meant to determine the fate of the world. The brothers seem to possess the right stuff for so many climatic endings to life as humanity knows it, but they manage to keep the big ball spinning, no matter who or what is out to completely change or destroy it. Destined to play major roles in the fight that is more about humanity vs the supernatural than it is about good vs evil, the brothers manage to foil or divert disaster and live to fight another day and yet another foe.

Constantly Saving the World and Changing the Lore

The show covers so many potential ends to the world or humanity that each season climaxes with what appears to be the boundaries of great and powerful beings. Non-traditional ideas about angels, demons, ghosts, God, or anything else in the realm of the supernatural must also be taken into consideration. Not only does the show transcend the traditional boundaries of good and evil and heaven and hell (The Darkness, God’s sister, Lilith, etc.), but it also balances power through the possession of artifacts (the Colt, the First Blade, angel and demon tablets, etc.) or some other loophole.

Some people try to justify that the show has outlived its realms of possibility, but that is precisely the point of the show. It is meant to be somewhat realistic, not to spread the truth. One of the biggest arguments against the various storylines is that it either defies traditional lore or outright makes things up. For example, the idea of angels and leviathan do not fit in the conventional concept that people traditionally hold. Because angels reside in Heaven, people expect them to be benevolent guardians of humanity. It is an equally viable belief that they have an altogether different purpose that sometimes benefits and sometimes hinders humanity’s progression. Supernatural proposes the “why nots” of another realm. The historical or biblical reference to Leviathan is scant at best, so why not embellish some hellish ideas and make them the menace of season 7?

But who is to say that ancient writings and lore have not been misinterpreted, and why should they be accepted as fact? In the end, it all boils down to the creative license of television to write for entertainment purposes. Good luck naming a show that doesn’t have situations that the viewer must accept in order to experience the story in the first place.

Its longevity and constant twists and turns also convey the fact that the conflict between good and evil is ongoing, because one cannot exist without the other, and this means that players from opposing sides must work together to survive. Like it or not, just like the Winchester brothers and the forces of good and evil, Supernatural, for the time being, refuses to die.
10 Comments
Comments (10)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
May 16, 2017
I love Supernatural, I started watching it when season 8 came out(I can't believe its been 4 years already), but........I would really like the show to end with some dignity, and not get canceled. I am not saying the episodes are bad cause they are not. Problem for me in this season is it feels like the writers don't know where to take the story. We are now just getting there and its the last episode of the season. Last season was good, but I can imagine bringing god and his sister into that season really didn't help with what the writers were going to do with this season, and the season before that and that it was like the writers were contradicting the storylines including some of the writing wasn't all that great. The monsters demons nor angels are really that scary anymore, but in this season they had a little ump to them and that dwindled as the season came nearer to the end. Again love the show just critiquing it a little, and I will continue to watch it and collect all seasons until the very end. I would also like to note, that seeing all 3 Misha, Jensen and Jared go off and do there own thing on either other shows or movies would be nice to see since they are getting older.
More+
Flag
May 09, 2017

I absolutely love Supernatural!! I have been a faithful watcher since the very first episode which drew me in and has kept me tuning in each week for 12 years. This show is still original and has much more it can still entertain us with. I think it has exceptional writers & creative plots, as well as good and bad demons and monsters, and two guys who will do anything to save humanity. I really enjoy that the storylines stretch beyond what religious beliefs may be and that we have seen the main characters mature and still have some fun with what they do. So . . . I may be older than the normal Supernatural fan base, but I truly enjoy watching Supernatural and hope that it continues to have a very long run on the CW. Please?

Flag
Apr 29, 2017
I still love it. It has some ups/downs, some mediocre episodes but it always seems to come back. This year has been really great and I'm curious what will be the outcome of the nephilim - a new God??? Nope, keep it going.
Flag
Apr 27, 2017
for me no cause i'm not ready for it to end, but than if it was on season 25 i'd still be saying the same thing perhaps? though when they said that Vampire Diaries was ending i said thank fucking god, not cause i think it was a bad show, i liked it, and i watched it from start to finish. but on that show for me anyways, there really didn't feel like there was anything left to tell to be honest. SN is a different story though cause there is so many different things they can do but don't. if next season is the last i don't want a shortned season i say fuck that i want a full last season. i'm hoping that with the new showrunners we have now, i am a few episodes behind to be honest,

that next season will be better, again for me the worst season by far is season 10. this one by far is much better than that awful season.
Flag
Apr 27, 2017
I'd say yes it needs to end. It has such flashes of greatness these days before getting bogged down in boring side stories and meandering around. I'd completely forgotten I still haven't watched the last two episodes until I saw this headline!

Every season since 6 they have ended with a great cliffhanger and a great idea to go forward. Yet they have somehow managed to squander these each and every time (to me at least). The exception to this would be season 11. I thought Amara was a great villain and even when the season wandered content wise they always found a way to bring it back to her.

I would love nothing more at this point than for them to announce season 13 as a shortened final season and take the time to plan a worthwhile send-off to keep those of us who have been around for all these years happy. I can't however picture any sort of finale that would satisfy after everything that has gone before.

To sum up, I would rather see them end it than run it into the ground (which they only narrowly avoided doing a couple of times imo).
More+
Flag
Apr 25, 2017
It's a tough one to be sure. 12yrs ago I fit the show and network demographic but not anymore. I find that I've outgrown these type of shows and am tired of the format. I watch Supernatural out of habit and a healthy liking for Dean Winchester (Sam's okay).

The fluctuation in writing and season quality is frustrating at times as my tastes have matured. I only survived the Leviathan season by giving up on it and continuing from season 8 it was so bad.

I'd be sad if it was ending this season and would be disappointed if the finale wasn't fitting but I don't have the same enthusiasm I once had for it. The show feels really tired and past it's sell-by-date. They've practically done everything in terms of good vs evil, so I feel there's an element of the creative well having run dry.

Basically the show seems a bit stale now.

I don't know what the plans are for it going forward, or if might benefit from a shorter season but I will still watch to the end.
More+
Flag
Apr 25, 2017
I will be looking forward to Supernatural Season 51 when I am 80 years old and the old men Winchesters are giving advice (and stealing scenes) to the next generation of Winchesters :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members