We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW
Supernatural has always had a small cast of regulars, with the focus remaining on our favorite Winchester Bros: Sam and Dean. But the show has had plenty of recurring characters rotating in and out throughout the past eight seasons, and many of them have been great hits. So which recurring characters were your favorite, and which would you like to see again? Here are my top picks:

1. Garth

There are so many things to love about Garth. He gets drunk off one beer, is "the new Bobby," owns a sock puppet named Mr. Fizzles, and is so laidback and anger-free that he was immune to possession by a specter (a spirit that possesses those with grudges, in case you've forgotten). We haven't seen Garth since the early part of last season, though there has been plenty mention of him. With a bigger focus on the Men of Letters next season, it would be great to see Garth and his network of hunters play a role in that somehow. But, mostly, it would just be great to see Garth again, period. I don't really need a very good reason. So long as he's there.

2. Ellen & Jo

Who doesn't love Ellen and Jo? All right, so Jo wasn't very popular when she was first brought on back in Season 2. But for some reason, she grew in popularity when she turned up again in Season 5, and both her death and her mother's won the both of them a lot of points, given the heartbreaking way they sacrificed themselves. I personally started liking Jo a lot more way back in "Born Under A Bad Sign" (Season 2), once the show stopped writing her like an annoying teenager (and once they stopped dressing her like one). Her latest visit as a spirit in "Defending Your Life" was short but sweet, and even though "My Heart Will Go On" wasn't a stellar episode, it was worth it just to see Ellen again (who, I think we can all agree, has been awesome from the start). Yeah, yeah, I know, they're both dead. But things are a little screwy in Heaven right now, so how hard could it be for a couple of souls to stroll out the door?

3. Bela

All right, so, I may be alone in this one, I know. Bela wasn't super popular either. I thought she was great, though. "Red Sky at Morning" might not have been the best episode ever, but how much fun were Bela and Dean playing socialites and sneaking around to steal things together? I wouldn't say her character arc wasn't resolved, but I was always a little disappointed that Sam and Dean never found out why she'd made her deal. And since things are as wonky in Hell right now as they are in Heaven, again, who's to say she couldn't sneak out? Or she could return as a demon. I mean, I don't know how much time one has to spend in Hell before they go black-eyed, but let's face it, Bela was halfway there already anyway. Bela the demon could be seriously fun.

4. Ash

Do I really have to explain my love for Ash? I mean, his hair alone. "All business up front, party in the back!" Look, you've probably realized by now, but I loved the whole Roadhouse angle in Season 2, I was super bummed when Ash bit it in the final two episodes. Again, things are messed up in Heaven right now, and we've already seen Ash in Heaven, owning all the angels' butts. If anyone could slip out, he could. (Or maybe he could lead a rebellion in Heaven against Metatron? Too crazy?). Either way, he better bring Jo and Ellen along with him.

FYI: You should be able to vote for more than one pick in the polls, so pick all that you want!

poll

poll

So, which recurring characters would you like to see again? You can talk about anyone you like, but I do plan to do a similar discussion on some of the best one-time guest stars.
Comments (72)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Bela was the worst character ever. LOL. I would rather them bring blonde Ruby back... but she is on Arrow now. But ha... great poll. Never would have thought so many people would be pining over that horrible character... Loved her in Vampire Diaries and Walking Dead... She was HORRIBLE... in Supernatural. You guys are funny.
Flag
Still surprised Dean didn't bang the hell outta Bela...
Flag
I know, right? Like that was totally meant to happen lol.
Flag

After having read a lot of the comments I'm seeing a lot of good ideas but I'm also seeing characters who are dead (not impossible to overcome but you're going to need a really good explination and a hell of a story for them to appear in) and several that just would have no purpose to come back other than fan service.

A character having been good or fun in the past is just not a good enough reason for them to return. There has to be a very good reason for them to return and story that supports their return other than just having the fans wanting it.

John and Mary for sure because they're not in Heaven and they made such a point of telling us that so we need to know what the deal there is.

Some of the others (like Lucifer) I don't really see what the point of them returning would be since their stories are over and there's nothing new to say on the matter.
Flag
I'd like to see an episode where Garth AND Charlie get to interact. I suspect they just might hit it off and the two of them together would be comedic gold. :)
Flag
Yup when sam Dies they are going to X-files him in as a main character..pretty sure since even X-files knew when it was well past its prime.
Flag
Why the hell would anyone want to see Bela again? Out of all the characters on the show, she was the most poorly written. Granted, the writers did have plans that would've made her more fleshed out if the Writer's Strike never happened and the third season went to 22 episodes instead of 16 (Bela was supposed to make 4 more appearances and her deal with the demon was supposed to be handled more sympathetically) but the way I see it she was just a cocky, manipulative b#tch whose demon deal reveal seemed like a last ditch effort to give her sympathy. And guess what? IT DIDN'T! (Also keep in mind that, had the Writer's Strike never happened, Dean wouldn't have died and we wouldn't have Cas and the perfect season 4 and near-perfect season 5.)

People I DO want back- Garth, the hunter who, despite having no fighting ability to speak of, is INSANELY lucky and hilarious, and Benny the Friendly Vampire. I thought Benny would be like Ruby, helping Dean out but having an ulterior motive, but he was genuinely good and as a result I feel like his storyline is unfinished. I was hoping he'd play a part if the Alpha Vampire ever showed up again. ("See you next season" turned out to be a LIE!)
More+
Flag
I always liked Bela but the actress who plays her is busy on "Walking Dead" and I hope she stays on that show for a long time to come because I really like it and I like her on it a lot. If she could do both that would be great but if she can only do one I would rather it be "Walking Dead". :)
Flag
Yeah, I'd really like to see Benny again, and we'd better see Garth again!

They really weren't going to kill Dean? I find that weird, cuz I would've thought Kripke had that pretty well planned out by then. I can see where the Writers' Strike would've impacted the Bela stuff, but it seems weird that it would change how Dean's deal turned out.
Flag
Sam was originally supposed to take Ruby's initial deal near the end of season 3 and train himself to fight Lilith. He'd kill her, saving Dean, but go full dark side and Ruby would be the Big Bad of season 4, according to the notes. We were supposed to also see Mary Winchester's deal with the Yellow Eyed Demon in season 3 as well. But the strike happened and the storyline was cut short, so Dean had to die, Cas was created as a Deaus Ex Machina to bring him out, and the Mary/Yellow Eyes episode was pushed back to season 4.
Flag
I want to see john Winchester, Lucifer, Michael, Gabriel and death
Flag
I would like to see more of Death, although we already know that he'll be appearing again in season 9, yay!
Flag
1) Lindsey McKeon as Tessa - Finally figured out how to possess demons.
2) Julian Richings as Death - Refuses to come back to work. Requests better salary.
3) Weird alteration with animal lover. Sold his soul at crossroads for one kind of a change to have his way with hellhounds. But hellhound puppies went on a killing spree in local asylum (all animal lovers were killed).
4) Alaina Huffman as Abaddon - Looses virginity to Billy Drago as Doc Benton. They are found chillaxing at beach with ice cold drinks.
5) Mark Sheppard as Crowley is touching Sam 's hair from the car 's backseat. Sam finds it hard to prove he's not woaman after Dean turns on car stereo with Sam 's ipod pluged in.
Flag
Instead of returning characters, make more compelling new characters. However, Garth should come back. And Adam, too. Maybe as a villain?
Flag
Why wasn't Gabriel on this list?
Flag
I'd love to see Bela again, but since Ms. Cohan is rather busy dealing with zombies, I doubt she'll ever reappear. I WOULD like to see some kind of strong female get dealt a better story than "eventually you'll die because the only true loves for the Winchesters are each other because my slash fic says so!" I know it has a high female viewer base, but I'm a male and been with the show since day 1. I DO get some amusement from little nods to the fanbase, and Carver did a great job moving on from that (Gamble almost lost me a couple times because her time as EP laid on the homoerotic subtext REALLY thick). I think it's time the boys met some female equals that a.)don't die and b.)don't have to be "left behind" because of their "mission".

Also, JDM. Just once more.
Flag
Ditto. I'm also a male viewer who has been watching since the first episode originally aired and it would be nice to have some recurring female characters are allowed to be equal to Sam and Dean and don't get killed off or something. I'm totally convinced that Bella's treatment was totally due to her being their equal and fan girl fear that she and Dean would "hook up" (ironic it was Sam who had the sex dream about her). I think the only reason they weren't so hard on Ruby was, as a demon, they never saw her a threat (funny that she ended up being the real threat all along) of course they had to also know if she was a threat she still wouldn't last.
Flag
GABRIEL people,
Flag
More Bobby. More Bobby. And again more Bobby. Garth just doesn't cut it as Bobby. Only Bobby can be Bobby. So more Bobby please!
Flag
Don and Maggie because James and Charisma make a great couple
Flag
The lovely Nicki Aycox as Meg Masters again - not satellite dish faced Rachel Miner.
Amber Benson, Kim Rhodes and Felicia Day.
Mark Sheppard, Jeffrey Dean Morgan and Julian Richings

Flag
I loved when Nicki Aycox got emotional. Her acting was sooo good. Can't say acting, for me it looked like real thing.
And whatever happened to the women who the demon possessed. Sam and Dean tortured her and sent him to hell.
I would go to hell and save that woman from there.
Flag
Are you talking about the human Meg Masters that was possessed in Season 1? Because she died. The demon Meg went to hell, but not the human Meg. I've always found her situation a little confusing because they made it clear that the human's name was Meg, yet they continued to call the demon Meg even when she returned in a different body.
Flag
Well, they do that for convience. If she showed up with a different name every time it would be hard to keep it clear to the viewers that it's the same demon. Also, we never learned her true demon name so that wouldn't help either.
Flag
Littlebitliz, actually demons wouldn't want to go around using their REAL names because if you have a demon's real name you can have power over them. It's an old concept in lore that with a demon's real name you can summon them and bind them to you will and, in fact, Bobby used Lilith's name to locate her in one episode so yeah it would be in their own best intrest to keep their real names privet.
Flag
Well, yeah, I mean, I understand why they did it that way, but I suspect it was mostly just because they hadn't figured out exactly how they were going to do the demons yet, when we met her in Season 1. Otherwise we would have gotten her demon name, as we have with other demons, instead of them making a thing out of the fact that the human was named Meg. I reconcile the weirdness with the explanation that maybe her demon name is too hard to pronounce or something lol. So that's why she likes to just go with Meg.
Flag
Yes the human Meg Masters. I guess i remembered it wrong. Maybe she went to heaven, but her soul was unhappy in the episode "Rise of the Witnesses"
Flag
Well, not totally. Lilith did a spell to raise the Witnesses and made them act that way. It was kind of implied that the stuff they were saying was due to how they were raised and not their real feelings on the how they died. Bobby said it wasn't their fault and that they were like mad dogs.
Flag
I was taking it that Meg went down to the hot place and so could be brought back and/or that she could reappear as a demon - lost soul or toying baddie. In any case, bring the Nixter back!!!
Flag
It'd be cool to see Bella again. Or John and Mary, or Ash Ellen and Jo.
I'd like to know what happened to the half human half demon anti Christ child from season 5.
Flag
Where's Ruby? I think she deserves a seperate entry rather than just 'other'. hmm, Bobby too.
Flag
In retrospect, I might have put Ruby. Bobby I specifically left out because, c'mon, obviously everyone would vote for him. He's more a regular than a recurring character. It's the same reason I left out Castiel, Kevin, and Crowley.
Flag
Bella was awesome. Intelligent, Dangerous, Cunning, and Extremely Sexy, she was the perfect human antagonist for the boys. Face it, the Winchesters need more human enemies to push the line as to whether they will casually a person.
Flag
Mary Winchester, anyone?
Flag
You're not alone on Bella. Out of all of the Brother's antagonists, She was one of the best.

And Chuck, because God needs to come back finally.
Flag
Love all of the choices but number one for me would be Bela. I mean, come on. It's Lauren Cohan. Can't go wrong there. Not only is she super hot but I loved the character. And yes it would be nice to see what happened to her after getting dragged to Hell. And Balthazar as well. He was one of the few angels they actually gave a personality and Sebastian Roche is pretty awesome. But we definitely need an appearance from John sometime before the show wraps. I know JDM is busy doing his own thing but hopefully he doesn't forget where he started.
Flag
Bela and Chuck and Balthazar and Frank and Ash and Meg and ...

P.S.: and Donald - just to see James Marsters again :))
Flag
lindsay mckeown who plays the reaper girl
Flag
Tessa! She's good.

Flag
How about any female character that they don't kill off in a bloody way to appease the terrible slashing fangirls. I know the men are in the minority in this show's fanbase, but geeze enough with the susage fest already.
Flag
Oh and no more meta crap. Enough Already. The books and fan community were funny the first time, okay the second, but by the third time they showed up I simply skipped the episode. They are painful.
Flag
I just agree so much with both your comments :D
Flag
Bela would be the greatest thing ever.
And Chuck, but no Becky... please!
And for all I care, we can tune down Charly... like all the way.
Flag
Wait. Didn't Bela make her deal because she had abusive parents and she wished them dead?

Definitely need to see Chuck again, I don't know why he hasn't been back sooner although I suspect once the showrunners admitted he was God they complicated the process of writing for his character.

John Winchester needs an appearance so he can find out his father didn't really walk out on him and learn about the Men of Letters stuff.
Flag
Yes, we knew why Bela made her deal, but she never told Sam and Dean. And since Dean was being super judgy with her about it, I wanted him to find out why she'd made her deal.
Flag
1. Bela, I always liked Bela and was super mad she was only in one season.
2. Garth, I don't need to explain.
3. Ash, see Garth
4. The Giant Teddy Bear, come on you know you want him back
5. Charlie
6. GHOSTFACERS
7. John, been waiting forever for him to come back
8. Donald and Maggie Stark (James Marsters and Charisma Carpenter), super powerful witches and as a new Buffy fan I want more Buffy alums guest starring roles
Flag
Oh my God... The depressed Teddy Bear is one of the weirdest things on TV to date. He kinda reminded me of depressed android from "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
Flag
I loved the Starks, it would be awesome to see them again.
Flag
There's a lot of characters to choose from Anna, Jo, and chuck being a few. One character I don't miss is Ash I just want to knock that dumb look off his face!
Flag
1. Katie Cassidy's Ruby
2. Bobby
3. Chuck
4. Bella
5. Jo/Ellen
Flag
please no more bobby
Flag
Tessa and/or Death would be pretty high on the list too (it looks like Richings will be in this season)
Lenore (mainly because I <3 Amber Benson)
Flag
I would love to see Tessa again. I always liked how she didn't really seem to like Dean much, since he got away from her :P
Flag
Balthazar would probably go above Bella actually.
Flag
Apparently I wasn't alone in wanting Bela back! I'd always thought she was pretty unpopular back then.
Flag
When watching Walking Dead and seeing Lauren Cohan on that, it shows how two dimensional Bela was written. They wrote her as this cardboard cutout version of a femme fatale and upon reviewing her season you can see how much the actress is trying to add depth, but it just wasn't there.
Flag
I've never seen Walking Dead (though it's on my to-watch-eventually-list :D), but she had a two or three episode arc on the Vampire Diaries and was amazing, so yeah, she's a great actress. But you're right that they didn't really tap her potential very well on SPN.
Flag
Basically, anyone but Bela because I'm hoping for Maggie to outlive everyone on The Walking Dead.
Flag
I forgot to add:
Julie McNiven as Anna Milton (the sexy angel)
Felicia Day as Charlie Bradbury (in the role of goofy lesbian)

Flag
We need to see God on this show! I don't mind if it's Chuck because I like him too, but seriously I want to see the actual God on the show. Other Characters: Garth, Jo, Ash, John Winchester (both the young and old!), and Aaron and Golem. (Obviously I voted for a couple more above but these are the good ones that I really want to come back!)
Flag
Nicki Aycox as Meg Masters
Richard Speight Jr. as The Trickster

Both very charismatic and good actors.

Here is a cenario, The Trickster isn't dead, he's actually GOD. It kinda makes sense.
Flag
I almost added the Trickster/Gabriel to the poll! Yeah, we saw him fake his death so many times, it would be easy to say he isn't dead. And actually him as a God does make a lot of sense lol.
Flag
GOD left the heaven and Trickster did the same because he couldn't stand the fighting. Did GOD left for the same reason as Trickster, we don't know. But some said GOD never even was in heave, nobody had seen him. What if GOD was always there as one of the angels (pretending to be angel). Exactly what Gabriel did disguise as Trickster on earth.
Flag
I was actually just thinking about this for another show, and it seems to me at least that even in this list there are guest characters you want to bring back because they're awesome in every scene they're in, à la Garth and Ash, and there are those you want to bring back because their stories aren't really resolved. I wasn't a huge fan of Adam as a character, but I don't like that Sam and Dean apparently haven't had a second thought about him since he got stuck in the cage with the meanest angels around. The circumstances of his story never completely sat right with me.

On a related note, Chuck fits into both categories. Partly because he was awesome, but largely because his part in Sam and Dean's story is one the best, Chuck is easily one of my favorites. His role is relevant through the actions of Season 5, and it makes sense that he would financially capitalize on the stories he wrote to that point. Maybe he's dead, since there's another prophet, but in Supernatural you're never dead even when you are. There's potential for revisiting the prophet of the Winchester Gospels.
More+
Flag
I think, if they really go with the idea that Chuck is God, then maybe we could see his near the end of the show, when they're getting ready to wrap up. Him showing up again would certainly create an interesting conundrum, since Cas claimed that only one prophet could exist and a time, and that therefore, Chuck must be dead.

I think Adam is another tough one. I also don't like that Sam and Dean never tried to save him, or at least, never even speak about him. It seems nuts that there would be anything left of him to save by now, but hey, it's Supernatural, so anything could happen. But yeah, at this point, even just a mention of Adam might be nice.
Flag
I want to see Aaron and the Golem from Everybody Hates Hitler
Flag
Yeah, I'd like to see them again too. They'd also work well next season with the Men of Letters tie-in.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members