A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursdays, Fall 2016)
In my opinion Supernatural's first season alone has provided more scary episodes (The Asylum, Bloody Mary, The Girl in White to mention a few. The fourth season's nailbiter: Family Remains which most likely goes down as the creepiest episode of Supernatural ever.) than the last few seasons. Which I'm fine with, they have a story that they want to tell and obviously not as much time can be spent chasing ghosts. But it saddens me that we get a "Monster of the Week" kind of an episode and I'm only amused. The latest episode "Bad Boys" didn't have a single scene that made my pulse race, which is weird as the MotW actually looked terrifying. They just didn't take proper advantage of it.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say that most people who were drawn to this show have visited sites that list spooky creatures from folklore and urban legends. Because who'd want to sleep at nights anyway. I have read a few lists that claim to include the most terrifying creatures from urban legends and mostly I have been disappointed. However I have noticed a pattern. It seems like the scariest monsters come from the east. Here's my list of the few (only one from the far-east. otherwise the whole list would be full of them) that I think have a lot of potential (even though there have been a Japanese movie or two about them).

1. Tek-Tek or Teke-Teke. (Click-Clack is an American version of this, I think)
    Pretty straight forward. A spirit. Died a painful death (got hit by a train, lost her legs. Story varies except for the part with the leglessness). This would be something we have never seen in Supernatural. Basically a torso that walks on its hands and is supernaturally fast at that. Looks for the her bottom part (scratch that. Tek-Tek just kills/wants legless friends, another Japanese urban legend involves a spirit looking for her legs, not this one.), get in her way and you might end up losing about 50% of your body. Sometimes carries a scythe with her. Named after the sound she makes when her ribcage hits the ground... Eeeww... Japanese urban legends are super creepy.

2. Huldra

What would be scarier for men than a monster that uses your... Urges.. against you. Those who satisfy her stay alive. Those who don't... She kills. Though this is not an original idea. (The Woman in White seemed to punish unfaithful men) Huldra is a part of scandinavian folklore. Their origins goes like this: Eve was washing her children, God appears, ashamed of her dirty children, Eve hides them, God says that those that are hidden from him would be hidden from mankind. She might kidnap infants and replace them with her own children. Or force you to marry her if she gets pregnant. Child support is out of the question appearently... She also has a tail. I don't know why.
  3. Ajatar

Part of Finnish folklore. Said to be the Devil of the Woods. Has a lot of abilities in fact. If you look at her you become ill. She causes nightmares. She leads hunters into the woods (I'm not entirely sure if she kills them or just leads them on so they'll get lost). It suckles serpents. Because why not. It can shapeshift into a serpent.
So a list of one generally scary looking spirit that inspired two japanese horror movies. And two monsters that I included because of personal fears (so not universally scary... Just for me). I'm like... Extremely scared of getting lost in a big forest. And using sexuality to get your way with someone is just rude...

Has anyone else hoped for some specific monster to appear on the show? Or hoped for more truly scary episodes?

Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
The Bunny Man sounds like a spirit walker. Perhaps it was he who appeared to Donnie Darko and drove him insane. ;)
Flag

There's actually an urban legend here in Northern Virginia, about the Bunny-Man Bridge. Although there are several different variations of the actual legend,there were actual sightings of a man in the 70's in a bunny costume that attacked people with an axe. His ghost is supposed to come out on Halloween and kill the teenagers who come to the Bridge.

The Bridge was actually used on ABC Family's The Scariest Places on Earth, and has a wiki pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunny_Man. As a fan, I'd love to see Supernatural's take on it.

I've been there several times growing up myself, it's about 15 miles from where I live (give or take). Friends and I used to love to speed down the windy roads of Clifton to eventually drive through the one-lane bridge.
Flag
I have never heard of that one before. Sounds fascinating and Supernatural has been succesful with the urban legends in the past.

On a sidenote.. I think I have seen the Bunny-Man, or atleast something based on it... On a British show called Misfits.

Though that one wields a golf club and is just a human bunny. Nothing supernatural about it. Well... It's not a vengeful spirit.
Flag
Have they done a doll episode? I'm sure the writers could have a field day with that one.

On a slight tangent: I asked my roommate, and the first thing out of her mouth was Audrey II from Little Shop of Horrors.
Flag
The only episode that I can remember that has something doll related was in the first season. Though it was just that the spirit killed the people and the deaths would be portrayed on a little girl's dollhouse. But there was no murderous doll or anything.

That kind of an episode would most likely be filled with Chucky references and dolls... Some of them are super-creepy. Oh man.

I haven't seen Little Shop of Horrors so I don't really know what to expect from Audrey II :)
Flag
I'd like to see a take on a Medusa. Maybe she can assume human form and turn on her petrification abitlity at will. Maybe she lives as a sculpter known for doing sculptures of men in fear that turn out to be missing persons Sam and Dean are looking into.

Flag
I don't know the first one is okay but it seems like once she gets someone's legs the story is over so it's not really a multiple kill scenario. I mean it usually takes two or three kills to even get Sam and Dean on the case so you would need a way to stretch it out somehow.

The second one might work if it was twisted to where any guy who doesn't satisfy her dies, leaving behind a dried husk or something. Maybe add in that only a woman can kill it and you got a need for Sam and Dean to call in help (and maybe even a chance for Dean to make one of his Sam is a girl jokes). Maybe toss in a thing where if a guy does satisfy her then they become linked for the rest of his life and maybe have Dean be next on the list or something and you might have an episode.

Not seeing the story with the last one. Would need something to draw Sam and Dean to the case and something for them to investigate.
Flag
My phrasing might be somewhat misleading in the first one. There are two (that I've heard of) Japanese urban legends that have a legless monster. Teke-Teke and Kashima Reiko.

Kashima Reiko is the one that's looking for its legs. Legend says she was beaten and raped by a gand of men and she's crawling to get help and a train cuts her in half. She'll appear in public bathrooms (eventhough she dies on railroad... Japanese hate the bodily functions I guess.) and asks people where her legs are. If you know the place where the spirit lost its legs, she'll leave you alone (This can go further if she asks who told you and you have to answer with her name). If you don't, she'll kill you.

Teke-Teke is a basic vengeful spirit. She won't stop if she finds her legs. The only motive for her seems to be loneliness. She kills in hopes of getting a legless friend. The story doesn't tell what happens if she gets one (another vengeful spirit), so I'll just assume that she would keep on killing. So this would actually be a good story in a way. First the Winchesters would have to find out who she was (not so hard... I guess not so many people lose their legs in an accident) then they would have to find her torso (most likely in a grave) and then her legs (that can be placed in a random ditch because having her legs in the grave would be slightly anti-climactic and them missing would provide the basic "Oh no! That didn't work!" plot twist.)

So the Teke-Teke version would continue until the brothers find the bones of her torso AND legs and burn them. Kashima Reiko would most likely just stop after finding her legs. The other two I mentioned were more personal. The Wendigo episode was scary for me because I hate the feeling of being lost. And I agree that it would be hard to drag Sam and Dean to some sort of a random wilderness...
More +
Flag
Sounds kind of like the "The Man With The Golden Arm" campfire story. Someone steals his golden arm from his grave and his spirit goes around asking "Do you have my golden arm?" and if you do he kills you to get it back. I could see maybe a thing where if they reunited the spirit with it's legs it goes away to it's final rest or something. Then it becomes a matter of finding the legs or something. I also keep thinking of the Torn Prince in "13 Ghosts" :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC