We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

THANK THE GODS

... Continuing his quest to guest-star on literally every science-fiction series ever made, Tahmoh Penikett has booked a multi-episode arc on Supernatural's upcoming ninth season as the fallen angel Ezekiel. The Battlestar Galactica and Whedonverse alum will first appear in the season premiere, which series star Jared Padalecki was bursting at the seams to talk about at Comic-Con. Look, I'm happy Penkiett is making the science-fiction rounds, but is it too much to ask that he land a series regular role? Two words: Orphan Black. [Huffington Post]

BUSINESS TIME

...  Since Peter Capaldi was announced over the weekend as the next doctor on Doctor Who, the internet has erupted into chaos over the fact the producers have once again cast a white male in the role instead of joining the 21st century. Today, author Neil Gaiman, the man responsible for "The Doctor's Wife" and "A Nightmare in Silver," announced on his blog that he knows of one black actor who has already turned down the role of the Doctor. Now, before we discuss anything else, I have one question: Who the hell would turn down a chance to be the Doctor? [Zap2It]

... PBS announced today that Downton Abbey will return to the U.S. on January 5, 2014. If you're a fan of the series, you know that means the show is still on a long delay from its across-the-pond airing. So if anyone dies in the Christmas episode, can you guys please just keep it quiet for, like, four months after it airs? Spoilers, man. [EW]

... Bravo continues to attempt to make the bold choice to leap from trashy reality TV to maybe-trashy scripted drama. The network has greenlit the new pilot Girlfriends’ Guide to Divorce, based on the Girlfriends’ Guide… book series by Vicki Iovine. It's exactly what it sounds like, but in case you need me to explain it to you, I will. The series is about a self-help book author who is hiding the fact that she's separated from her husband. She starts soliciting advice from her married friends and as they say in show business, the rest is history. [Bravo via press release]

... As you know, yesterday marked the tenth anniversary of Fox's teen soap The O.C. Seth Cohen himself, Adam Brody, has stated that if there was ever to be a reunion, he'd like it to happen on a stage. We're pretty sure he meant a theater stage and not a soundstage, because sure, that makes a lot of sense. [E! Online]

... Speaking of anniversaries, the 25th anniversary of Roseanne—yes, you read that right—is coming up, and WEtv is celebrating the occasion by airing what the it's calling mini-marathons of the beloved sitcom for an entire month. Beginning August 12, you can hang out with the Connors from 5pm to 8pm Monday through Friday, and again on Sundays from 10am to 4pm. Let's reconvene here a month from now to discuss how old we all are. [WE tv via press release]

CASTING NEWS

... Perennial guest-star Mark Sheppard, most recently seen as Crowley on The CW's Supernatural, will reprise his role from the White Collar pilot for seven of Season 5's episodes. If you'll recall, Sheppard played an art forger by the name of Curtis Hagen, who was apprehended by Peter with a little help from Neal. Ah, memories.  [Huffington Post]

... If you're currently acting on a series that's heading into Season 6, you may want to call your agent and make sure you're still employed. Right on the heels of the announcement that Rashida Jones and Rob Lowe are exiting NBC's Parks and Recreation comes the announcement that Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman will be departing CBS's The Mentalist toward the end of Season 6. [TV Line]

... 24 alum Leslie Hope has booked a role of "tremendous importance" on NCIS. She'll play Sarah Porter, a high-ranking Navy official, in the second episode of the new season, “Past, Present, Future.” She's only around for one hour, though, so don't get too upset (yet), Tiva fans. [TV Line]

... Justin Kirk has joined FX's in-development drama series Tyrant. I'll watch anything from FX without any further explanation, but in case you're less trusting than I am, here's the rundown: Tyrant is about an American family who finds themselves drawn in to the workings of a turbulent Middle East nation. Kirk, who was the best thing about the later seasons of Weeds and who starred opposite a monkey in last year's failed NBC sitcom Animal Practice, plays a sexy and mysterious American diplomat who may not be everything he seems. If the show sounds at all like the distant second cousin of Showtime's Homeland, it's probably because it's from two of the series' producers, Howard Gordon and Gideon Raff. [Deadline Hollywood]

TODAY'S NEWS BRIEFS WERE BROUGHT TO YOU BY SOMEONE WHO HAD SOME EXTRA TIME ON HER HANDS

... If you dislike FX's gritty biker drama Sons of Anarchy because you think it's too violent, might I suggest Sesame Street's "Sons of Poetry" parody instead? [Grumpyclown]

... Have you ever imagined what an '80s sitcom starring Breaking Bad's Jesse Pinkman might look like? Me neither, but thanks to Blip, now you know:

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2016

Season 11 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/4/2016

Season 11 : Episode 20

81 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm not entirely surprised about Amanda Righetti leaving "The Mentalist" since she recently had a kid. Personally I can't imagine the impact on a mother, but if I was a Father I'd probably want to cut back on the TV-acting for a couple of years considering how many hours go into making a series. I'd want to spend time with my kid in his/her formative years.
Flag
So sad to see the sexist and borderline racist comments about Doctor Who's choice. Yes, Peter Capaldi is a great actor and will do a great job, but they could have been a little riskier and more imaginative. There are plenty of girls who would love to be able to look up to a TimeLady (not just some 'new' show).

And no, I didn't comment on any of those posts because, honestly, their responses will just depress me more.
Flag
Your post depresses me. Those hypothetical girls you mention aren't fans of the show. Have them look up at Amy Pond, River, Vastra and Jenny instead.
Flag
Actually, they are not hypothetical. I've seen several posts and articles, not just by girls, also by full grown women. Those characters are great (except Jenny), but they are not the main character and definitely not the hero. You depress me.
Flag
Is there an expectation that The Mentalist is going to continue past Season 6? And a big WTF to your "joke" about Doctor Who not entering the 21st century because it cast a white male as the 12th Doctor. Maybe the people who want to Black or female time and space traveler fighting monsters should create a character of their own and jumpstart their own series. There are a lot more important to get upset over.
Flag
about the mentalist... I heard the actors talking on youtube in an event about episode number 100 and... my impression is that they are all tired of the show already. So i don't think there will be more than 1 extra season for that. So come on, Red John, show your face already and give us a fine last season!
Flag
Staff
For the record, that was not a joke. It was a general statement as to what the controversy is about.
Flag
Isn't the dude Scottish for Doctor Who? Wasn't in there more uproar about that lol... oh oh cause he's white.. I get it.
Flag
Who would turn down a chance to be The Doctor? Someone who has a working career and cannot just shut that down at a whim for 3 years.

Personally, I think the uproar over the ethnicity and gender of the actor playing The Doctor is a tempest in a teapot, these folks seem to want change for change's sake rather than just picking the actor who embodies the role the best. If you're so inclined to see a sci-fi show with a non-white, non-male lead actor, why not make your own instead of griping about an existing one? We've had them before, hell, 2/5ths of the Star Trek shows had non-male and non-white leads already, and that's just Trek.

Thanks Kaitlin, now I feel old as dirt seeing ABC's Roseanne is turning 25, I remember when it was new.

Mark Sheppard: basic cable's brightest guest star!
Flag
Maybe I should have read your comment on the Doctor Who "controversy" before posting my own. You said much of what I was thinking.

If you want to talk old, I'm old enough to remember the Church Lady's name being Edith Strict.
Flag
This idea that Doctor Who has to be a woman or be black 'just because' is absurd.

Doctor Who has 33 seasons under it's belt and the character has always been, and should ALWAYS BE a white male.

For the record I find the commentary about "the producers have once again cast a white male in the role instead of joining the 21st Century." to be completely and utterly insulting as a white male. Keep your stupid 'social justice' commentary to yourself.

You want strong black characters? How about make some instead of STEALING THEM. For the record, the recent Who series has not been lacking in strong, memorable female characters in any way.

Flag
Staff
How would a black actor taking over the Doctor role be stealing? And why should the Doctor "always be" a white male? If your answer is "because it's always been that way," you might want to temper your complaints that others think there should be change "just because."
Flag
muahaha! perfect answer...
Flag
Were this a question about taking gay characters and making them straight, or about taking black characters and making them white, you would be offended by it.

He should not be white 'because it's always been that way', he should be white because if pushing to change him to anything else is absurdity.

It is stupid 'social activist' crap, and yes, it is THEFT to take the concept of a well established character and change his race to suit your social agenda.

You aren't adding value to the character to change his race arbitrarily, you're simply doing it to make yourself feel better in that distorted little leftist mentality you have.

Why don't we make the Hulk a 12 year old chinese girl while we're at it? Maybe Sherlock Holmes can be a middle aged transexual latino. Hey, let's make Captain America a quadruple amputee just for giggles, right?

This is why 'social activist' crap inspires such complete hate in others. You ruin everything you touch.
Flag
Staff
While I personally have no opinion on the race or gender of the Doctor, The Hulk, Captain America and Sherlock Holmes do not have the ability to change their appearance or regenerate, so that does not support your argument.
Flag
The color of the skin does not make a character. Superman could have been black or purple and would be the same story. You know one case where the color of the skin was more important? The Hulk! But still, you cuold have made him Pink of anger and could have even worked. Cause it just doesn't matter. Keep going with your white male stuff. I can predict that you are going to suffer a lot with this subject, because things have changed, my friend!
Flag
This happens quite a bit now. My mother complained mightily about tuning in to watch a Lucas Davenport movie having read the books and it being a black guy as Davenport instead of a white guy.

The character is clearly white in the books and the change was done for no other reason than to satisfy having a black lead. It was stupid and annoyed her enough to not watch the movie.

My mother watches Luther, and REALLY likes it.

It wasn't that the character of Davenport was black that annoyed her, it's that he HAD ALWAYS BEEN WHITE. She identified with that character in that manner. Luther she identifies as a black character and thus, likes Luther's character as he is. If Luther were to turn gay, white, or into a woman it would really piss her off.

Flag
Staff
For the record, I made no comment on the Doctor Who controversy. That was a statement on what the controversy was about, not my opinion on the matter.
Flag
Tahmoh Penikett and Tricia Helfer are in a contest to see how can guest star in the most series.
Knowing how politically correct Britain is and the BBC in particular I was surprised the new Doctor was not a black lesbian Muslim single mother in a wheel chair.
I also agree with your sentiments regarding FX shows, quality vs quantity works.
Flag
mwahahaha! "black lesbian Muslim single mother in a wheel chair"

I always thought Doctor Who morphed into someone you know..that he is.. a white male. For him to suddenly morph into a black..woman.. or any odd combination would be absurd. I think its absurd that because this is 2013..that every single role that is a white male role should not be written for someone of a different ethnicity..or female...is ridiculous.

What are you going to do have shows with no white guys in them??
Flag
That's the spirit of 'political correctness', that that 'evil white man' should have essentially everything taken from him now, for simply existing.
Flag
I suspect that if The Mentalist is wrapping up Red John they want to restructure the show to keep it going. It could be that they want to get rid of the Wayne/Grace relationship so they can develop a Patrick/Teresa relationship. But the show won't need another supervillian. Bones proved that supervillians are over.

"She's only around for hour, though, so don't get too upset (yet), Tiva fans."
It seems apparent you're not following the show. Tiva will be over at the end of that episode. And she's too old for Tony anyway.

Flag
I thought they were going in the direction to make grace a victim of that illuminati group (whatever the name was). Not happening now, ugg. I think the actors are all tired of the show already and this should be the last season. But don't know what to think anymore.
Flag
Staff
I do follow the show. It was a joke. I'm very sad to see Cote de Pablo leave.
Flag
Won't spoil it for people who haven't seen the Season Finale but I think Tamoh's role on Continuum might be expanded in season 3. Its awesome that he'll be on SPN as an angel, cool shit
Flag
Yay Tahmoh!

It really bugs me that people are complaining that Doctor Who hasn't, as you put it, "joined the 21st century". Aren't we evolved enough to be able to say that casting the right actor for the part IS being in the 21st century? Does a show really have to cast a person of a different ethnicity/gender in order to "prove" that they're forward-thinking? SO WHAT if the Doctor is "still" a British white male? The people involved in the show chose who they thought would be the right fit. Personally, I was hoping for Chiwetel Ejiofor, but not because he's a person of color - because he's an awesome actor who I thought would bring a lot to the role. I am happy that they chose an older actor, though.
Flag
Smh Mentalist
Flag
Tahmoh is one of those perpetual guest starts who really *needs* his own show. Please, TV-Universe, create a show for Penikett. Whatever it'd be about, I'd watch it.
Flag
but please the right show - he was quite a lead actor in Doll House but the rol was crap (imho).
Flag
So is Mark Sheppard :)
Flag
And also - Micheal Irby.
Flag
Right on apostrofa.
Flag
It really sucks that Amanda Righetti and Owain Yeoman will be leaving The Mentalist. Show won't be the same without Rigsby and Cho's banter!
Flag
Orphan Black. Tahmoh and Mark Sheppard......hahah that would be insanely good!
Flag
omg sons of poetry!
Flag
Penikett was a regular on Dollhouse, right? ... But yeah... that got cancelled after season 2....
Flag
Insert comment justifying why the Doctor shouldn't be black or a woman here.
Flag
Why should Doctor Who have to justify that at all? Not everything is a vehicle for social activism.
Flag
Staff
It's not necessarily about activism though isn't? More about general representation?
Flag
You're trying for "general" representation in a "specific" case. No matter how much you try to make all things equal, I'm always going to be a white male. That does not make my parents sexist or racist. My wife's a black female, but I didn't choose her for general representation. We already did Star Trek; one white guy's not going to ruin it.

This is the same argument that wants to take every popular character on TV today and make them gay. Teen Wolf gets it right, but the shippers out there still aren't satisfied. Sterek! Scisaac! Nobody needs to "turn" a character to represent. Same principle applies here.
Flag
I hate to be on the side of "he has to stay a white guy". But Cory, aren't Amy Pond, or River, or Donna, or Martha, or Mickey already general representation? There are 3 incredible strong independent women, 1 incredibly strong independent black women, and a black man who had a very heroic story arc. Can't other characters represent just as well? Again, I have absolutely no issue with the Doctor being a woman, a person of color, whatever they choose to do I go along with it. But I sort of lean on the side of it's better to establish a new character than change for change's sake. Making the Doctor a person of color or a woman screams of a stunt to me, whereas you can create a fantastic character from scratch and satisfy the same need for diversity, don't you think?
Flag
Personally I'm fine with the doctor being a white guy, but all the comments that justify why it should be always a white man, that I am not so ok with. There is no real need for the Doctor to be a specific gender or race, since the character represents a lot more than that. Characters around the doctor are not the doctor. Having all the other ethnic groups and genders turning around the big white male is a horrible alegory, if you think about it. Will never be enough. Felt the same when they made Watson a woman, but not Holmes. I thought, ok. Whatever. But then I got the arguments to WHY HE SHOULD ALWAYS BE A MAN and I got all my activism symbols out of the closet again. Just natural.

Flag
I hate to be that guy but Supernatural is not sci-fi.
Flag
Staff
Correct. But it is a genre TV show and the most people don't pay attention or care about making that distinction.
Flag
So catering to ignorance trumps all again. Why not take the opportunity to educate those who don't know by using the correct genre?
Flag
Awesome! Loved him in Battlestar Galactica and Continuum!!!!

GO HELO!
Flag
the way that dude Tahmoh talks bothers me so much i dont even know how to describe it
Flag
Muppet Bobby is the best thing ever.
Flag
Tahmoh playing an angel on Supernatural, yes! I love this.

And agreed, he needs another regular role, stat. Paul on Orphan Black kept reminding me of Paul Ballard on Dollhouse so he kept popping into my mind for a role on OB...that would be awesome.
Flag
*sigh* ... Paul Ballard <3 I MISS YOU!
Flag
I know! I'll take Tahmoh any way I can get him, but I do wish it could be as more Paul Ballard.
Flag
As noted below, Doctor Who has been around for a long time as a white male, so it's ages old established precedent. If the Time Lords can change sex and/or race, it should have been thought of a long while back to incorporate that ability into the character and series, but it was not. Why start now after all this time? Even though he can regenerate, who or what says he has the genetics to alter his gender or race? His young or old regenerations stretches credibility to begin with, so would it not be best to not get carried away with it and draw the line somewhere with established rules for what he's capable of in this regard?

Forgive my limited Who knowledge, but were all Gallifreyans able to regenerate? Were they all Time Lords or just a select few? I vaguely remember seeing an old episode involving a Council that had at least one woman among them, but can't remember if there were any of another race. It's one of the few times I remember seeing other Time Lords on the show other than The Master. If they all regenerate as well, then each time for a woman, she would be still a woman, or each time for a black (or whatever race) character, he/she would still be black. Why ask for a gender/race change when you know there were other Time Lords of different genders and/or races anyway? Regardless of the times, or why, this series just happened to choose a white male for its main character and have been stuck with that since. Speaking of which, you might as well ask that the Doctor regenerate into one of the alien races. Who says it has to be limited to an Earth humanoid type?

The one way to possibly solve this is, if the Doctor is limited to a finite number of regenerations, then introduce a new Doctor of a different race/gender to continue the series after the final regeneration of the current Doctor.

I say that not having seen the series since early in Tennant's run, so I don't know if that regeneration limit has changed or has been discarded. Also, I know the Doctor's people were pretty much wiped out in that Dalek war, but have any of them returned since? The Master came back, right? If yes, please don't spoil it with details - "yes" or "no" would be fine.
More+
Flag
In general I agree with you, but in "The Doctor's Wife," as I recall, there was mention of a Time Lord changing his gender.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Staff
"Why start now" is not the kind of precedent you want to be relying on here.
Flag
On Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor Steven Moffat said that it has been established in-universe that the Doctor has the ability to change gender during regeneration. I don't know when this happened in the series (probably during one of Moffat's more unnecessarily confusing episodes, unless anyone can help me out with the specifics???), but it means that the writers and producers obviously have the ability to cast a black or women Doctor in the future should they wish to.

And yes, The Master did return. Also, why are you so behind?
Flag
Just lost track and also decided to watch on DVD without putting up with commercials, but have yet to get around to it. I sometimes wish PBS still carried Who like they did once upon a time where I, like many, saw those classic episodes.
Flag
Bet the role of the Doctor was once offered to
Paterson Joseph.

Flag
I think all this talk of the Doctor being a non-white male is ridiculous. not to sound rude but if the Doctor had been black or a woman to begin with and then changed him to a white male then everybody would be up in arms over it.. change just for the sake waters down the importance, and honestly I think it would just be a ploy for attention. if the Doctor is a white male, he should always stay a white male, just like if he had been a woman or a black male to begin with then he should always stay a woman or a black male.
Flag
I don't necessarily think he ALWAYS has to be a white male (I'd be fine with an African American or a female), but you're totally right that they shouldn't just do it as a cave to pressure or as a ploy for attention. And yeah, if it was a black or female character and they changed it to a white male character, people would probably cry racist.
Flag
It's obviously not ridiculous since they already offered it to a black man. As for what you think "should" be or not be, if they made that offer that's not what they think should be. You have an opinion. It's not the popular one but some people share it, just not the people who matter, the ones in charge of the decision.
Flag
I feel the show is super farfetched enough as it is, which I have no problem with, but randomly changing something pretty fundamental as gender and race will make it even harder to get behind. and yeah they made the offer, but I think once you get past the "hey wouldn't it be neat if" mentality then it's basically just to have progress for the sake of it without any other reason and just them trying to appease the people who complain about it.
Flag
1) So Roseanne is as old as me..... For some reason, I thought it actually was older than me, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

2) Oh Sesame Street, how you amuse me at times. Now if only you could attack that purple monstrosity and get him out of the picture. :)
Flag
HOLY SHIT! I didn't think about that either.. I am as old as the Roseanne show? just another thing reminding me that Im almost 30 and have done nothing with my life but talk to people on the internet about how Im the same age as the Roseanne show... maybe I should go outside today? Nah
Flag
Outside is overrated. And the only reason I'm saying this is just because with my currently jacked up leg it's a chore to go outside haha.
Flag
It can really only be Idris Elba who turned it down, and I can respect the decision. He's making his own way.
Flag
"Idris Elba's How clubbing changed the world"
lol
IF they offered him the Doctor they did it knowing he would turn it down. So either they didn't really mean it in the first place OR it wasn't Idris Elba they asked. Or Gaiman heard some rumors and it was blown out of proportion.
And as Elba's fan I was shocked he is going to portray Mandela
Most likely he will utterly fail - at least "my opinion" is that he will utterly fail.
Flag
Or it could be that other people can see that Idris Elba has all the charisma and acting talent of a block of wood
Flag
That's a lovely opinion you can share with yourself all you want, but it bears no relevance on the fact that he's the most likely person by far to have received the offer, so I don't no why you posted it at all.
Flag
Why would Idris Elba be more likely than Colin Salmon, who was in "Silence in the Library" and (so far as I know) isn't currently connected to another series?
Flag
You could certainly make that argument, but most people who write about TV were saying Idris Elba. He's probably the only person popular enough worldwide to pull it off, Colin Salmon, if recognized for anything outside the UK is recognized for a lot of action nonsense and as such isn't considered "good". And he's just "that guy from that thing". No one knows his name. There will be enough backlash (probably mostly in America) when they hire the first black Doctor, so they will be looking to mitigate it by going with a relatively big name and talent. Also, because Elba just got a Hollywood movie paycheck, and is a sort of rising star, it seems sensible he'd turn it down. Of course, the experts in this sort of thing, the London bookmakers, say we are both wrong and it was most likely to be Chiwetel Ejiofor.
Flag
Simply stating things and then insisting that you're right with no other basis for that argument is daft.
Flag
Whatever. The basis is reality. You're delusional so there's no point talking to you, the proponents of the dark-sucker theory, or the flat earth society.
Flag
Yea I agree cause Luther is AMAZING! but I think he would've been a great choice for the FIRST African American Doctor cause he's got the CHOPS! .... just don't do a second Pacific Rim Id! you're too good for that
Flag
Casting an American actor would have caused more chaos than the internet could handle. It's a quintessentially British show. On the other hand, since Elba is British, he wouldn't be described as African-American anyway.
Flag
Lol. How did everyone convince themselves that this Doctor was going to be a woman or a POC? Tumblr must be helping the fanbase delude itself. If The Doctor has been a white dude for 33 seasons then, duh, it only follows that people'd be more comfortable with The Doctor being a white dude. Not that I'm against the Doctor being POC or a woman, but I'd want it to happen because the actor was right for the role, rather than pandering to Feminists or Social Justice Warriors.
Flag
I hate to say but I pretty much agree with this. If you want to introduce a strong, independent female role model or a person of color, just create a new character. It's not as if another character on the show can exhibit the same values or set the same example. Changing the gender or ethnicity of a character (even if in this instance change is a part of the character's story) just comes off as pandering to me. I'm not against either one, if Tilda Swinton or Idris Elba or anyone else took over I'd still watch. But get them because they're the right person for the job, not because of their race or gender.
Flag
And what was that crack about "Joining the 21st century"? Do white men not exist anymore? Is it inherently un-progressive to be a white man now?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members