A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)
As we quickly approach the finale of season 9, I thought it might be fun to look back at how the Winchesters have fared in finales over the years. Did they succeed or did they fail in their goal?

Before we proceed, just let me say that I love Sam and Dean, and would certainly want them on my side, no matter what, if another Apocalypse was nigh...

Season 1: Devil's Trap - the Winchesters (all three of them!) fail to kill Azazel.
2: All Hell Breaks Loose II - while Dean does succeed in killing Azazel, they fail to prevent the Devil's Gate from opening. (I'm changing this one, due to some good arguments below.)
3: No Rest For the Wicked - the Winchesters fail to kill Lilith thereby sending Dean to hell.
4: Lucifer Rising - Sam does succeed in killing Lilith, but, oops!, that opened Lucifer's cage and brought about the Apocalypse. As my daughter would say, Epic Fail!
5: Swan Song - arguably the WInchester's finest moment as they succeed in putting Lucifer back in his cage and ending the Apocalypse.
6: The Man Who Knew Too Much - Sam and Dean fail to stop Castiel from gobbling up all the souls in Purgatory, thereby becoming a pretty douchebag god.
7: Survival of the Fittest - Dean succeeds in killing Dick Roman (thank Chuck!) forever (we can only hope!) ridding us of the Leviathan threat.
8: Sacrifice - Sam fails to close the gates of Hell forever because Dean won't let him die (awww!).

So the scorecard:
Successes = 2 3
Mixed = 1
Fails = 5 6

Hmmm. Does that mean we're going to be stuck with Metatron for another year? That the angels will still be amongst us? Or that the angels get sent back, Boogertron gets his, and Dean goes dark side? I for one am really looking forward to finding out. Here's to a Winchester success for this finale!

Okay, here's the addendum:
Season 9: Do You Believe in Miracles? - If you consider that the goal for the finale was that Dean use the First Blade to kill Metatron, then I'd say that's another fail. Sorry guys! Cas and Gadreel did have a success, but since my summary only considers the Winchesters...

56 Comments
Comments (56)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
are you serious?? they have to this for it to keep going on!! geez...
Flag
If you included the death count of people they were trying to save or just keep alive ...the numbers would be a lot worse.
Flag
When you put it that way the Winchesters seem kinda incompetent.
Flag
Hilarious! I think they'll stop Metatron, but inadvertently will fail to prevent an even bigger threat which is ultimately their creation. Possibly a juiced-up Dean gone to the dark side in a super killing spree.
Flag
I wouldn't really call Season 2's finale a mix... it just started a trend of killing off the major threat of the season only to replace it with something far worse. Azael's death brought about the demon army, Lilith's death brought about Lucifer, Raphael's death brought about God!Cas and the Leviathans, Dick Roman's death brought about Crowley finally becoming the Big Bad. Season 3, 5, and 8 are the exceptions because Season 3 got cut short due to the writers strike (Sam originally was supposed to kill Lilith, saving Dean but losing himself in his darkness, and Ruby supposedly was going to be the chief villain for season 4 before they decided to do the Lucifer story arc) Season 5 was supposed to be the end of the series but the surprise renewal caused the writers to hastily change the end and they didn't have time to replace Lucifer as the Big Bad (causing season 6 to have THREE major villains, Crowley, Eve, and Raphael, though Raph was the most consistent threat of the season.) and season 8's defeat of Crowley was completely unrelated to Season 9's Big Bad, Metatron, stepping up to bat and casting the angels out. (Though season 8 did introduce Abaddon, a major villain in season 9, but though she was woefully misused in season 8 and got burned into a crisp at the finale.)

Also, I don't really consider Lilith dying an EPIC fail. Even Dean after a few episodes of season 5 admitted that Lilith was a monster and Sam ultimately did a good thing in killing her off. Consider the possibility that Dean got to the church on time and stopped Sam from killing Lilith. How exactly would they take her down? She's too powerful to be exorcized and only Sam is immune to her psychic powers. She'd slaughter Dean AGAIN and probably wreak havoc on the planet. Sure, Lucifer wouldn't be released, but Azazel's back up plan involved the Demon Army he released, and since Lilith was in charge of the army, she could still create a Hell on Earth even without her boss.
More+
Flag
Yes, in many ways you could look at each season finale as being the end of one thing, but then the beginning of another. I think that's usually the case with serialized tv shows. They want us to come back next season. I was mostly asking the question of whether Sam and Dean succeeded in taking care of their major goal of the season: killing Azazel, saving Dean from Hell, killing Lilith, etc. But you're probably right that season 2 should then be a success not mixed.

It's funny what you say about the season 6 "big bads" because I sort of think of it as being Cas. Crowley and Raphael are certainly evil anyway, but it's Cas' poor judgment and betrayal that really affect the Winchesters and cause Eve to be all grumpy in the first place. Of course, Cas would insist his behavior was to get rid of the worse evil, Raphael, which he does succeed at.

Honestly, I hadn't really thought of the season 8 finale as being a defeat of Crowley. I guess you could look at it that way what with the human blood affecting him and all. Fair point.

Sorry I still disagree with you about Lilith. Yes, she was pretty damn evil and yes, if Dean had stopped Sam, she still would have been able to run amok. But whatever she would have done, I still think it doesn't compare to Lucifer and the Apocalypse. I mean the Apocalypse brought the Horsemen, countless natural disasters, the Antichrist (boy, I wish he's come back!) and more. IMHO Lilith's still quite the lesser of those evils.

More +
Flag
I own a season 6 companion book which states that Cas in the end is classified as the "Bigger Bad" of the season. All of his questionable actions were nobly intended to stopping the superpowered Raphael, but in betraying Crowley and absorbing the souls of Purgatory he passed a moral event horizon. In killing off Raphael, God!Cas became the de-facto Big Bad for the next season, though the writers scrapped the idea of Cas being a villain and instead opted to killing him off (though fan reaction caused him to be brought back.).

Crowley, in my opinion, was flat-out defeated the moment Dean snapped the handcuffs on hm in the season 8 finale. Season 8 was what I called "Crowley Unleashed" because the King of Hell was given a proper spotlight due to no competition like with season 6 (Eve, Raphael) or season 7 (Dick). He was clever, resourceful, and, unlike season 6, he didn't have a grand plan to become all-powerful and just stuck to defense strategies against Sam and Dean. However, after he was handcuffed, ALL of his schemes fell apart and he was strapped to a chair and almost completely helpless (he was able to bite Sam and make an SOS blood call, which might have worked if not for Abaddon getting the call.)

If you compare Lilith to Lucifer, Lilith was actually the worse of the two overall. Lucifer unlocked the 4 horsemen, yes, but his trump card, Death, didn't do anything other than kill a bunch of people at a pizzeria and a guy who bumped into him. Lucifer himself killed a bunch of pagan gods and Gabriel, the latter which he begged not to do. Sure, he did "kill" Cas and Bobby, but as "the Man Who Would be King" showed, Cas's body explosion only lasted a few seconds before he was reconstituted. Zachariah and the Angel Army proved to be bigger a-holes than Luci. Lilith, on the other hand, killed a whole police station, tormented a family, and KILLED DEAN! She may not have the quantity, but she was far more sadistic than Luci.
More +
Flag
I'm really not trying to be too nit picky, nor am I saying that Lilith didn't really have it coming, but remember that Dean made the demon deal of his own free will to resurrect Sam. And technically, while Lilith held Dean's contract, it was the hellhounds that killed him and would have whether Lilith had been there or not.

Also as far as Lucifer's body count, don't forget the entire town of Carthage, Missouri...
Flag
Metatron with only one story left this season my ending is still far away!
Flag
Not sure if it's what you meant, but there are two episodes still left this season.
Flag
I am for Metatron getting offed while Dead goes dark. Wouldn't it be funny if Sam had to team up with Crowley? Hahahahaha!
Flag
Ha ha ha ha love this list it puts everything into perspective. Supernatural has always done some pretty epic season finals and they never disappoint even they they fail the show doesn't. Anyway it's always Sam's fault.
Flag
Or Dean's overprotected crap, what was a large part of this season about!
Flag
I just adore dean so I'm blind when it come to him
Flag
Ditto! So far, I've only disagreed with 3 things Dean has ever done: when he kills Amy Pond the kitsune, when he sends Sam that fake text from Amelia, and when he shoved Gadreel into him. The things I've agreed with are many, many more than that!
Flag
Haha, that was a good list.
About this season, if I have to guess - Meta's ass will be owned by our guys, Dean goes Vader and joins his buddy Crowley.
Mixed goes 1 up :)
Flag
It'd be a nice change up... Dean spent the entire first half of the series making sure his little brother didn't go to the dark side, but in the end he ends up embracing the darkness himself and becomes the monster his dad warned him Sam would become. His decent began the moment Bobby died, and now it seems to be boiling over.
Flag
We can only hope. I find the most amusing parts are when Crowley and Dean team up for whatever reason. =)
Flag
nice........
Flag
Follow this Show
Members