A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

When The CW first announced a potential Supernatural spin-off in the works, it was immediately clear that the network was looking for a way to keep the series' passionate fanbase engaged now that both Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are in their 30s and married with children. They're basically The CW's equivalent of octogenarians. The fact that Supernatural has survived for so long (the series is currently wrapping up Season 9, and it's already been renewed for Season 10) is a testament to not only the actors, but the fans, who've proven themselves to be very loud bunch of wonderfully crazy people. Said fans have helped the series survive (and escape from!) the Friday-night death slot, and they continue to help The CW bring in record numbers on Tuesdays. So it only makes sense that the network would try to build off that momentum. 

Here at TV.com, we've been pretty vocal about our own uncertainy regarding this spin-off in recent months. From its less-than-desirable title to its silly "Godfather with fangs" premise to the fact that the original series only has three regular cast members (including Misha Collins), none of whom will be a permanent presence in the spin-off, all the signs have pointed to "maybe this isn't such a great idea." But now that we've seen the backdoor pilot, it's time to take a closer look at whether Supernatural: Bloodlines actually has the potential to be a decent show. So I sat down with my fellow TV.com staffer Tim Surette to tackle some of our most burning questions—let's hear your own answers in the comments!

Is Bloodlines a viable spin-off?

Kaitlin: In theory, a Supernatural spin-off had potential. The series could essentially reboot with a younger cast and still (hopefully) maintain its audience. But that's not what happened. Bloodlines feels like a rip-off of its network sibling The Originals, but with a far less charming cast and backstories that've seemingly been taped together from previously rejected storylines. Supernatural would've done better to spin off the still-relatively-new Men of Letters arc (with appearances by Henry Winchester and a pre-Abbadon Alaina Huffman), or created a series based on already established young hunters like Krissy, but instead it's saddled us with a monster mafia series featuring an entirely new cast. So the new series shares nothing with the original except a name and this backdoor pilot, basically. Why bother calling it a spin-off at all? Plus: How bad are Sam and Dean at their jobs if they had no idea there were monster families running Chicago? 

Tim: Hey, Sam and Dean are BUSY! Didn't you see that underground bar with all the monsters in it? That is super hard to find if you don't know the right maitre'd! But yeah, you'd think that Sam and Dean would've at least caught a whiff of that by now. What irks me about the Bloodlines spin-off is exactly what you said—it feels like a poorly conceived cash grab leeching off an established property (though I guess that's true for most spin-offs). What first attracted me to the Supernatural universe is its vastness—the open road! The monsters of the week! Vancouver standing in for Florida, Texas, AND California!—and Bloodlines won't be tapping into that at all. I agree with what MaryAnn said in her review about Bloodlines's all-in-one-place setting providing the option to show the split between a hunter's professional and personal lives, but the pilot killed Ennis's girlfriend in the first minutes (by throwing her into a store shutter LOL). Wasted opportunity. So no we're left with the same tired themes of revenge, dead(?) parents, and murdered ladyfriends. And while we're at it, let's all admit that Chicago being run by five monster families is colossally stupid, and since that's the Bloodlines plot, I don't see it being interesting. Frankly, I don't see it getting picked up, either. 

Does Bloodlines solve Supernatural's infamous "woman problem"?

Tim: Ahhh, the age-old question criticizing a teen-targeted CW show about two hunky men with daddy issues who chase spooks across the country, and one that will automatically be asked of Bloodlines. The answer is "kinda sorta," in that Bloodlines has main female characters who aren't Season 3's Bela and Ruby (not that Bela and Ruby were particularly great characters themselves). Margo, the shapeshifter who's taking over the Lassiter gang, and Violet, the werewolf who's engaged in forbidden love with David *gag*, fall in line with Supernatural's history of putting women into one of two categories: tough, bitchy, and mean, or sweet, innocent, and in need of rescue. So I don't see a lot of progress there. Sure, it early—and let's face it, Bloodlines has character problems no matter their gender—but ultimately, I don't expect the show to do anything too differently on this front. 

Kaitlin: To be honest, I think Bloodlines has an even bigger "woman problem" than Supernatural does. The lack of women on Supernatural has never really bothered me (I know, I'm a shame to my entire gender), but that's because the series' on-the-road set-up naturally doesn't allow for many recurring characters. And because it's The CW! I'm not watching for the plot, guys. I'm watching to see two good-looking male models make quippy remarks after slicing off a vampire's head. And because I really love the soundtrack. And because Dean/food is my OTP. I know my thinking is horribly flawed and that Gloria Steinem might jump out from the bushes and shame me, but if the women don't exist, at least the writers can't screw them up. Bloodlines has stereotyped women right out of the gate by portraying them either as helpless victims, power-hungry bitches, or secondary citizens with no backbones when it comes to douchey older brothers. This honestly makes me more embarrassed and more angry than I ever was when Supernatural ignored them altogether. 

Who's poised to be Bloodlines' breakout character?

Kaitlin: I think we can all agree that Lucien Laviscount is not leading-man material, despite being billed as such and having the coolest name I've ever heard. He looks far too young to play Ennis, and he comes off as way too green. I know we all complain about actors playing characters who are way younger than they are, but sometimes age really helps make a character feel believable. And yes, Sam and Dean were young when Supernatural premiered, but that was explained away by the family business. They were raised in the hunting life, which meant they had experience and weren't running around Chicago pretending to be something they weren't. Ennis found out about monsters, like, two minutes ago. The kid hadn't even processed that development before joining the fight, which is ridiculous. 

In contrast, David (Nathaniel Buzolic) is a shapeshifter who grew up in the world of things that go bump in the night, so he's already got an advantage. He also seems very quippy, which is always a plus when dealing with "serious" matters like stopping monster wars before they begin.

Tim: When Ennis told Tamara that he brought her to the ferry stop because that's where they met in 8th grade, I thought, "Oh, you mean two years ago?" That's how young he looks. But I didn't think anyone really stood out, and the only time I really perked up was when Jared and Jensen stepped onto the scene. The whole episode felt a little "community theater" to me; the acting skills were lacking all around, and it's almost as if Bloodlines is a CW parody, with its focus on looks over talent. Can I say that no one from this show is ever going to break out, and that at best, these kids can look forward to mediocre careers full of hopping between various CW shows? I take that back, the older actor who played the professor that David shapeshifted into was pretty good. Maybe Bloodlines should focus on him, or maybe he could be The CW's superhero! But, hmmm, if I had to pick someone, I guess I'd choose Buzolic because he seems like he could be James Wolk's younger brother. And I know how you love James Wolk!

Kaitlin: If I had my way, I'd put James Wolk on The CW in a heartbeat. HELLO, SHIRTLESS SCENES.

So we both didn't like it the backdoor pilot. Is there any way Bloodlines can be salvaged? 

Tim: Look, I don't even know if it can be fixed, so I'll just make some stuff up on the fly here. The episode did a piss-poor job of explaining any real history behind the family feuds or what their involvement in the city really is. Are the families running the city together? How much do they actually control? Did a werewolf create deepdish pizza? How do vampires attend daytime Cubs games? How did this flimsy monster treaty get signed in Chicago but nowhere else? These questions need to be addressed, because right now Bloodlines feels like monster high school with cliques that don't like each other. If the series can somehow manage to run parallel to what happens in Supernatural's upcoming tenth season with each series affecting the other, that might be interesting. But if it's alone on its own island, it's going to suck. In its current state, Supernatural: Bloodlines is exactly what The CW doesn't need right now. 

Kaitlin: It's no secret I've been against this spin-off since Day One, and this backdoor pilot only confirmed my suspicions. It's bad. I've never felt so much second-hand embarrassment before. And what's worse is that it feels like a slap in the face to long-time Supernatural fans who've weathered the post-Eric Kripke/Leviathan era and are enjoying the series' recent resurgence. I don't think Bloodlines is worth the effort, for the very reasons you just mentioned. What's more, it'll be a real shame if The CW cancels something like The Carrie Diaries or The Tomorrow People just to put this garbage on the air. Please, CW, stop trying to make Bloodlines happen. It's not going to happen.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

203 Comments
Comments (192)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Who gives a damn if they aren't friggin teens anymore, I hate that everything has to have this obnoxious teen vibe to try and be interesting. All of the older characters age wise in supernatural are far more interesting to me than these un seasoned 8th grade looking characters in the spinoff.
Flag
"... [B]ut the pilot killed Ennis's girlfriend in the first minutes (by throwing her into a store shutter LOL)."
They 'had to'. The Supernatural team can't have two Black people on screen for the whole episode - that would mess up the tokenism quota. Even worse is the idea of having a Black woman last more than a quarter of the episode time. As is the trope for virtually all of these TV artifacts, Black women are always erased from view. Any representation of Blackness can only be assumed by the man. Supernatural is no deviation from that unfortunate norm.
Flag
They need to take some notes from past shows that where so damn good like Angel from Buffy.. If J & j DON'T want to do the show after S10 then give Misha his own show and let the Angel plot line life a little .. it would work way better and that's something id tune in for for sure.. Have Cass be the lead and toss in a few older cast into the Mix Crowly, Mills, Hell they could even find a way to bring Joe back.. let him have his own team of new hunters. No one that is a fan of this show wants to see new and or younger cast members just to rise to teens or how ever you want to put it.. THINK keep the show fresh but let us still have some love for it.. We all fell in love with Sam and Dean, The Impala, the Angel.. The least they could do is bring John Winchester back into the mix.. Go nuts CW im pullin for this show..
Flag
Don't worry people, The CW isn't picking the spinoff up. Let's hope they stick to what works when they decide to bring a new Supernatural spinoff.
Flag
So...yeah, I thought this show was so awkward and I didn't really believe that Ennis is old enough to actually be a cop (he so looked ready to make his confirmation when he was being interrogated). I so see the Original rip off (and I mean seriously, was anyone really doing anything more than partonizing Elijah when they signed their treaty, which took a whopping two episodes to be broken - you have to look at the bombing of the werewolves as interspecies drama not cross species, well, at least now). There might have been no harm in making Ennis be 22 (like Sam was when Supernatural began) and this was like right before college graduation. I mean, David appeared to be kind of attending college, didn't he?
Flag
I found the show kinda fun!! Seeing that Supernatural might be coming to an end and CW is trying to make a new show to replace!

It has potential and could go for at least 2 season.

Seeing that they are Canning The Carries Diaries and other shows it stands to point that this show should be given a fair chance!
Flag
Bloodlines as a Supernatural spin-off was a crock of shyte. It's so unrelated to Supernatural I don't know why the CW are trying to pretend that it is. No matter how busy Sam and Dean get there is no way they would not know about the Chicago mob families.

Just repackage this crap as another TVD spinnoff or bin it!

I didn't feel embarrassed for anyone, I felt insulted. Please don not get rid of The Tomorrow People for this nonesens.
Flag
Instead, they got rid of TTP for Jane the Virgin. As disgusted as I was with Bloodlines (sounds.more like a Facebook game than anything else with that title lol), I would have rathered it get picked up than that disaster waiting to happen!
Flag
Im looking foward to the spinoff. Hopefully a lot of guest appearances
Flag
An angel who can write things into existence, who has stopped the line of Prophets, locked Angels and Human Souls out of heaven, screwed up the entire "vale", not to mention the Civil War in Hell between Abaddon and Crowley.
Compared to..the city of Chicago being ran by Monster Families. Would Purgatory or Eve come in at all? How big would Bloodlines try to be?

How could Bloodlines seem at all comparable to what's happening over at the Mothership?
Flag
I have watched Supernatural from Day 1 and never missed a single episode even when from season 6 till current season hasn't really hit the heights of the earlier seasons. I love shows that has supernatural elements when they are done very well. I actually think the spin-off is going to be great. I like the cast and am loving the story line.

The problem with supernatural is we don't get to see the supporting cast too much, it's always a Sam and Dean show which lets be honest its freaking awesome but if Castiel and Crowley were made as regular cast and we have a strong female lead as well it might not be so bad and that might give the writers much to work with. Anyway I enjoy Bloodlines and enjoy the banter between the boys, it was fun and refreshing. I don't agree with Kaitlin on this one which is a shame because I always agree with majority of her reviews and what she says. Anyway I shall be watching this when it comes out because I might be getting tired of the likes of Vampire Diaries a bit and need more monsters and I will never watch Originals because I cant stand Klauss, I just cant find myself rooting for such a d#ck!
More+
Flag
Can I just say, you complain about the cast for looks cast here, but claim you only watch Supernatural for the hot guys killing monsters? For real? Give the show some damn credit!
Flag
true shit.
Flag
What if the reason they don't shed their skin is because their bloodline is pure? If your a shapeshifter that is half something else- or any amount you have to shed your skin. This would make some sense as to why the shapeshifting family may want to keep within their species so that they don't have to deal with shedding.
Flag
Weird too about this spin-off is that the writers were trying to have their cake and eat it too in terms of attracting viewers who like supernatural characters like shifters, werewolves and vampires and want entree into their worlds and respecting the whole hunter premise in which Dean and Sam have slaying creatures like that as their mission.

So, we were supposed to care about David and Violet at the same time that Sam and Dean were treating him a bit like a thing, but uncharacteristically not trying to kill him or use him to get to his family or to stamp out the rest of Chicago's monsters (and again weirdness here as David was the one who used the term monsters to describe the families -- something you wouldn't see as a matter of fact description on the other shows where supernatural creatures are the stars).

Flag
I hated the misogyny in this pilot. It made it hard for me to watch. Contrast Violet who's brother calls her a bitch and tells her her job is to look pretty and stay silent the first time we see them interact -- she later echoes the same self-description to David when she talks to him and then is quickly kidnapped in need of male rescue with pregnant Haley on The Originals who is in charge of her werewolf pack and has no trouble taking down anyone in her last trimester. All of the female characters in this pilot are weak or over-the-top cardboard caricature's (David's sister Margo).

I just WILL NOT watch women be slagged off like that. And what's more, in 2014, I want to see strong female characters.

I also agree with the panel's assessment of the Ennis character. He just doesn't work. I get that since they are ostensibly "spinning" this off from Supernatural that the writers think the viewers' in has to be a human character, but Ennis just doesn't work. The pilot would have been better with just David -- even if they would have had to contrive some situation in which he tries to hire Dean and Sam for help.

I don't mind the five families premise, though I can only think of four of them at this point: Shapeshifter, Jinn, Ghoul and Werewolf. Are vampires the fifth?

If it does get spun off, I will give it one more chance. If the women's roles don't improve, that's it for me.
More+
Flag
It definitely feels like it was more The CW who commissioned a spin-off. It appears the writers were struggling for ideas and came up with something in a rush to satisfy the CW's needs for a spinoff. Let's just all pretend it never happened
Flag
Yeah, as a commenter said below, there's definitely someone continually refreshing and hitting the YES vote. I voted right before writing my comment, and the NO was ahead 4700 to 4500. In the time it took me to finish my comment and read the others, the YES vote went up by more than 500 votes when there has been no visible traffic here. 500 people didn't come here and vote in 20 minutes and not a single one of them left a comment.
Flag
Carver can write a good story but IMHO his judgment as the showrunner leaves a lot to be desired. He makes bad decisions (and broke the spell for me, I was never able to recapture the magic after what he did to Sam and Dean's characters in the first half of season 8.) As soon as I heard Carver's plans for a spinoff, I thought: "That's gonna fly like a lead balloon."

A spin-off without any known characters? Although you're right and he can't poach any main characters, as there are so few, there are plenty of secondary characters he could've used, like Sheriff Mills, a beloved character who has been woefully underutilized in the original series. (I haven't seen season 9 yet, but I heard she's at least in it a couple times.) There could've been others, Aaron, Garth, Charlie, etc. Anyone I already know to make me care and make me feel like the new series is part of the same world I already love.

And this monster families all living and jockeying in one place? Okay, I haven't seen the ep, but this premise just turned me off. Supernatural was always about hunters traveling the dark roads fighting the things that go bump in the night. I don't want to watch any part of the Supernatural universe from the monsters' POV. There are way too many series from the POV of vampires and werewolves and fae and whatnot as it is. And I don't want to be stuck in one place watching monster city politics. That's just not Supernatural.
More+
Flag
the supernatural boys are aging, but so are we, "the fans" along with them. They don't need a younger audience, the ones who've been watching for 9 years are still watching....as for the suggestion that because they are getting older (in their 30's) the show is basically going downhill, we'll that's just insane!! in your 30's in not OLD! Geesh!
Flag
I am a huge fan of Supernatural but had no idea they were planning a spinoff.While watching the last episode within 20 minutes Im asking "What is this crap?" For the first time in the history of the show I stopped watching well before the end. Then I find out it was a "backdoor pilot". Of all the things they could have done for a spinoff they choose this? A hokey 5 families monster godfather? I hated the characters. I hated the actors. I had the entire idea. It seemed to take a pretty serious and dark show and turn it corny and campy. Im a grown ass man. I can't stand most of what the CW puts out and it's not really designed for me anyway so no big deal. Supernatural has long been the exception. Young and old will watch a good supernatural/scifi show. Doesn't matter how many pretty teens are in it. The creative minds behind SUPERNATURAL could do SO much better than this. It honestly feels like they aren't even trying. It's pathetic. I'll miss the show when it finally ends, but my God please let it die with dignity.
Flag
The main issue is that if their isn't a spin-off then how will this whole storyline get resolved, because Sam and Dean can't help, they've got Abaddon and the angels to deal with, and Dean's whole being corrupted/influenced by the Mark of Cain business as well. Basically they don't have the time to satisfactorily sort out the whole Chicago mess if we don't get a spin-off, and i'd prefer a disappointing spin-off rather than having unanswered questions, or having them devote actual episodes of supernatural to a plot line that wasn't needed and is just confusing or perhaps the worst possible outcome, having it all happen in the background and its just referred to from time to time.

But unless they flesh out the plot, which frankly felt rushed, unsure of itself and confusing for a forty-five minute slot and the sort out the acting which was dull and without direction then i feel that maybe they should lay the whole idea to rest. And burn the bones to stop it from coming back in a few years.
Flag
You bring up a good point, of it leaving unanswered questions if the spinoff doesn't happen. I personally am going to solve this problem by skipping over the episode when I eventually get to it. (Ha, there is a benefit to being 20 episodes behind!)

Also "they should lay the whole idea to rest. And burn the bones to stop it from coming back in a few years." LOL!
Flag
Why didn't I think of that, its too late for me but i pray that you avoid this back door pilot that reminds us why people generally prefer not to use the back door....although the Originals was quite good, so i can't say every spin-off is quite as bad as this one.
Flag
Nothing here worked. And believe me, I wanted it to work. Sam and Dean relegated to through-away one-liners and second fiddle to a possibly-maybe spin-off is an offense to all of us who have watched the series from day one.

So who ran out of ideas? Everyone? You're all sitting around a table talking about where this show should go and nobody has a friggin' clue where to take it that makes one iota of sense??? This is pathetic! I don't like the new "possibly-maybe" cast. The premise sucks because no one believes it. Chicago monster mafia my butt. Puhleeze. I'm very sad to see what's happened to Supernatural and guess all good things do, indeed, pass.

I have say, as well, that I was tired of Metapuke as well.

Flag
i actually got into grimm recently, not quite as good acting but atleast the storylines and everything are going right, and i love how there are huge twists in grimm, supernatural will always be my fav, but im really starting to enjoy grimm, i love the guy who plays monroe, i cant think of his real name off the bat, but if yall havent tried watching it, u should give it a shot
Flag
Well that was tragic. Not only was it a piss-poor backdoor pilot for a show that hopefully will never be made, it even went a step further, managing to slap Regular Supernatural in the face at the same time. The spin-off aspect sucked, but this even sucked in the Winchester world, which frankly is having its first watchable season since s5 (yeah, I know.....I'M watching so it's technically watchable, but I only watch out of respect and remembrance of what I fondly call "The Kripke Years).

Not only do they expect us to believe that Chicago is being run by monster families and no Hunters are aware of it (and neither would the Men of Letters have been aware back in the day, or else they wouldn't have let it get this far), but there was also a reference to the same thing going on in New York. Yeah......no. Also, notice how Sam and Dean, because they were relegated to Second Fiddle in this episode, had their character profiles violated all kinds of ways? Supernatural has always been show that eschewed the normal CW "Look at Teh Prettie!!!!" in favor of a little substance and, to its advantage, a little darkness. A lot of what makes Sam and Dean who they are are the no-win choices they have to make, and some of the shows best episodes have thrived on that. There's moral and personal dilemmas galore. And at the center of all that is what to do when the Monster doesn't seem to be a real Monster. Supernatural has almost always answered that with a resounding "We're Hunters, they're monsters. We do what we gotta do," and it's added appropriate drama for the show and characterization for the guys. I can only think of three times in 8.5 seasons where they let a monster go, and two of them includes Vampire-Garth and Ghost-Bobby. So this episode wants us to believe that not only do Sam and Dean let a shapeshifter and werewolf go, who they had dead-to-rights and who are members of super-secret-powerful families running an entire city, but they ACTUALLY TEAMED UP with the shapeshifter with basically no questions asked? This is not the Winchesters. They don't trust monsters, and the show has worked hard for years to illustrate why that's the case. But this time, they meet a shifter, he's with Ennis, so they're like "Oh cool, let's go chase the other monster we're after. Happy to have you on board." Um.......no. Yeah, I get it, this is a backdoor pilot and you can't have Sam and Dean murder a main character you're trying to sell, but find another way to make him a hero the audience sympathizes with apart from Sam and Dean. Or at least have the Winchesters start out trying to kill him, but then he earns their approval somehow. That would actually be a great send-up for the protagonist of a spin-off. But what you DON'T do is mutilate the Winchester characters to serve a cookie-cutter role. I mean, if they need to like the shifter and the werewolf girl for some reason, it's needs to be for better reasons than "Hey look, these monsters are so pretty they could be on a CW show! And look! They LOVE each other......awwwww." That is not Sam and Dean, and it is not Supernatural. The entire Supernatural universe was just sacrificed in this episode to make way for a premise that doesn't really fit in that universe. Two thumbs waaaaaay down.

But this episode did one unexpected thing. Neither good nor bad....just a thing. It made me realize how Supernatural has almost entirely taken place in out-of-the-way small towns. I'd never really noticed that they never pull a case in NYC, LA, Chi-town, Houston, etc, until I saw the stark contrast in setting this episode. I neither liked it nor disliked it, it was just a thing I noticed. It did make me think how much more believable it is for them to impersonate Feds and get away with it with small-town cops, because it really jumped out at me how unbelievable it was to pull that on Chicago PD. Doesn't seem like that would work nearly so well if Feds have a big hub-office right down the street from your precinct.
More+
Flag
Agree with everything you said and I'll go a step further.

The "monster" of this episode was a guy in a mask and Freddy Kreuger hands looking to avenge his son - that is practically how every hunter gets in the business. That is why the Winchesters got in the business - avenging a family member. For them to just stand aside and let the new guy shoot him is pretty out-of-character. In the normal scheme of things they'd be helping this guy.

And the fledgling hunter - Ennis - didn't seem like a good choice for a lead either. Nevermind the bad acting or the fact that the only emotional note he seems to hit is "angry" or the fact that now that he has had his revenge, there is no motivation for him to hunt. Also, let's ignore the fact that he just saved two "monsters" whom he'd probably have to hunt if he is planning on going after their families. Above it all, his judgment is poor. This was the guy who swore up and down that a guy with a mask and Freddy Kreuger hands was something supernatural. For a cop, that sounds like a dumb mistake to make.
More +
Flag
This is the network that cancelled Secret Circle for Beauty and the Beast.. *sigh*
Flag
I wasn't too sure on where they were going to go with the Bloodlines episode and how the series might possibly evolve from the pilot...
As for it being an episode within Supernatural, for me it had too little Sam and Dean time...

Anyway, now that I'm here, I'm wondering if there are any Supernatural fans here that are willing to help me with my master thesis research (Which is about the Supernatural fandom ^^) It consists of a survey about the online fandom, it would mean a lot to me if you completed the survey for me.

You can find the survey here
Flag
the way im taking the survey, is they r asking if they should do bloodlines next yr or just forget about it, considering the pilot and the acting by who is going to be in the cast was so bad
Flag
Where exactly is this season going? They've got several stories on the go but none of them are being advanced or resolved. Then, right as the season should be building up to a climax they dump this episode on us. Disjointed, random, apropos of nothing. As much as I love Supernatural, I think it should have ended a couple of years ago. I hope season 10 is the last.
Flag
it will be, with jared and jensen getting older and with families and each have a newborn now, im sure they wanted to end, u have to consider it takes almost a full yr to do a season and they maybe get 2 months of a break and when u consider the show is shot in canada not even the u.s. its gotta be hard on them, but everyone new this episode was supposed to introduce the new show that they were starting next week, it was never intended to go along with the storyline of this season, but yes they r going to have to start answering some questions soon, because not too many more episodes left this yr, what i do like the most is what theyve done with crowley this yr, prolly turned into one of my fav characters, the vending machine was priceless ;) lol
Flag
If they had to do something in Chicago, I would have loved some crossover with the Dresden Files. But of course, that won't happen. So I would say I didn't like the episode and particularly didn't like the main character and the werewolf girl. Young shapeshifter was acceptable. Oh, and I see no reason for more daddy issues. Supernatural has too much of it. I would have liked it better if the boy and his girlfried were a romantic couple of hunters, though. It would have potencial for sexyness and situation comedy too.
Flag
its just going to be tough cuz i think i read the cw is starting 5 new shows next year, and i think jensen and jared def need to help out
Flag
I actually loved the cast. Yeah, Ennis was a little unbelievable as the leading man, but give the guy a break. It's his first attempt at breaking into the US after spending his early career in the UK (I remember him from Skins) and he'll need a little bit of time to get comfortable with the role. Then there's David the Shapeshifter, played by the same actor (sorry, I don't remember his name) of Kol in The Vampire Diaries and recently played one of Pretty Little Liar's best new characters. Then there's Sean Faris, who I loved in Never Back Down and even more recently in Pretty Little Liars. I think that it really sucks that a lot of the die-hard fans (I have watched Supernatural since 2005, so I count myself among that category) are hating on the backdoor pilot. It's a backdoor pilot! I personally didn't like The Originals backdoor pilot, but I'm really enjoying the show now. You can't be making judgements on a half-episode. Just as I loved the backdoor pilot but am preparing for the show possibly being bad, people who hated the backdoor pilot should be preparing for the show possibly being good. Let's not be pissed because it has no real link to the original show. How many times have we seen NCIS cross over with JAG (for those of you who don't know, NCIS is a spin-off of JAG)? Let's just wait until this show premieres (which it should, despite all pre-judgement) and then after four episodes do a four episode test and decide if its no good. The writers of Supernatural do really shitty episodes every now and then, yet we forgive them. Why can't we do the same in this case?
More+
Flag
i just think the reasoning is the true hardcore fans were expecting better results out of this episode, i mean i know that they r never going to bring actors in that r close to jared and jensen but in my honest opinion i just really thought it was bad, prolly the first episode ever of supernatural that i will refuse to watch again
Flag
i couldn't finish watching it...it was that bad
Flag
I bet if they did a show about two brothers, an angel, and a demon we would watch it. Oh wait.........derp but seriously though i wish they went with the cain story. Or maybe Crowley before he was a demon.
Flag
but that would have tie ins to the original supernatural show and i think they didnt want that, i think they wanted to go back as how the original supernatural started with jared and jensen just hunting supernatural things and saving people, which in my opinion the first season was probably the best, the problem with starting over is what exactly is dude going to hunt thats new? and jared and jensen were born into hunters from their dude and this dude has one encounter at his age and im sorry but he does not seem like a fighter/bad ass like jensen
Flag
there was only one question in my mind during what seemed like a high school production of an episode... WHERE ARE MY BOYS??

i agree with the comment below that if they HAD TO do a spinoff, it should have been a charlie/dorothy/oz spinoff instead.
Flag
they were never intended to be in much of the episode, i think they actually got to take a short vacation to spend with their family, u have to think this episode was purely for starting bloodlines next year and sam and dean were not intended to play a big role in this episode, they were seeing if the main character of the new show could hold his own since hes going to be the star of the new show next year, and if thats the best they got then the shows in trouble already
Flag
i know what this was. i just think it was done poorly. the actors on the new show aren't that great and i think the guy who's supposed to be the lead in the spinoff was the weakest link (it made the episode feel hours long). there are plenty of other shows that have introduced characters in backdoor pilots but the main cast were still weaved into the episode's story well enough where it didn't feel like they were extras in their own show...
Flag
Why dont they just find a slot and give them a shot and if it clicks it'd be great and if it sucks then stop it...
Flag
thats what they will do but i think all supernatural fans were expecting better out of the basically pilot of the show
Flag
ok im a huge supernatural fan ive got the tattoo and everything and ive probably watched every episode atleast 5 times lol, but if that episode was of things to come, it does not look good at all, i thought it was horrible acting, i mean of course i know its not going to live up to the acting of jensen and jared, but it wasnt even close, i love supernatural and i hate to see it end, yes id probably watch bloodlines, but in all honesty i didnt really expect a whole lot out of it, i mean i thought it was so bad that if i was jensen or jared id almost be ashamed to have that as a spin off to my show, if its going to succeed it needs alot and i mean alot of help!
Flag
I'll go with it if the intro song is Blurred Lines. I'd rather watch Felicia Day lezzing around in Oz though.
Flag
For me it's all about the canon in once again I see some changes that happen. We already got enough canon issues on one show already. In from one of our producers they have said that they tweaked a few for this spin off. So im not to crazy about that. In this spin off reach for someone else audience just with Supernatural name tagged to it. Now they could of said "from the creators of supernatural" or inspired by supernatural that would fit better. Because I see no way these people in the spin off never heard of Sam and Dean specially when Dick Roman put out a WW hit on them back in season 7. Not to mention they had story lines in Chi town before. In John Winchester never wrote about a Mafia of monsters even though he can catch a lonely ghost in a rural town. Just No. It to many lost ends they have to tie up.
Flag
You all need to get your eyes checked, because all I saw was awesome. And the actors ALL did a good job. I believed them, I liked them, I felt for them when something sad was happening. Bring on a season!
Flag
i guess when they say 9 out of 10 doctors agree there is always that one doctor....are you that one doctor? Worst hour of tv in a long time on any network
Flag
Soooo it's basically The Originals...minus the good storylines :)!

This episode was sooo boring, I am damn glad it's over and I sure as hell hope it won't get picked up for next year! Those characters lack charisma and I was disappointed to see yet again another secret war going on between different species of monsters, an impossible love (with a ridiculous emotionless forbidden kiss in the end) and some human hero who's way over his head (Hello Cami!).

I like Nathaniel Buzolic much better with a british accent and a badass original vampire mojo. He deserves way better than this. That kidnapping situation was so stupid. If the girl could escape using her werewolf mojo from the beginning, why the hell didn't she do it?! Same thing for David! I really missed the Winchesters during those useless 40 minutes.

I remember the shapeshifting process being a lot more painful with the teeth falling and skin reaping back in the day (season 1 I guess), I thought it was better than just some camera movement.

Please CW/Supernatural guys, DON'T DO THIS!!
Flag
I dont know about any reboot, reboot sounds stupid, but they should make a movie with the same cast like the hit series 24 and Veronica Mars. If they ever make a spin off ( a watchable one) it should be purely based around angels and demons with Castiel and Crowley or on the MEN OF LETTERS, if not that just combine them. I am SKEPTIC about Blood lines because the show has a great scope, unless and until the stupid writers and producers go nuts and make it a teen angst/drama/stupidity filled show like THE Vampire dairies and Originals.

Flag
I don't know about anyone else but I am tired of Obamas influence on tv stations to put blacks on good programs and spoil the shows for me. I have not been watching any of the shows that feature Blacks.
Flag
haha y'all got trolled
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Actually it's the Multiculturalism of Today, because it is Reality Right Now. The Whole World is Not exclusively White and I'm exceedingly Tired of the whitewashing of Television.
Flag
Personally I didn't really mind whether this spinoff were picked up or not, but Now you have given me a desire for it to succeed with your appalling racist comment. If it upsets racist cretins That Much, then So Be it! I Sincerely hope it takes off now(although I hope it's also improved tremendously) but Thanks for the Motivation, Josephs! Bring on the Multiculturalism of the Future, because the Racism of the Past Needs to GO Forever!
Flag
The Obamas have nothing to do with this. It's called acknowledging the world we actually live in (because yes, we live in a multicultural world where your colour doesn't define your worthiness) and stop stupidly thinking white people are superior. If being racist means you don't get to watch good television, I am so glad they ruined it for you! Don't even bother answering because I won't :)
Flag
Also hunters have heard of the Chicago Mobsters, Ennis Roth's father was clearly a hunter, that's why he had silver bullets with markings on. And he rings Ennis at the end telling him to not become a hunter. The Chicago mobsters monsters are clearly good at what they do and get rid of hunters as quick as they turn up but Ennis's father managed to go into hiding faking his death.
Flag
I agree with the review, this looks like a show that wants to capitalize on the name built by Supernatural.

Monster mob families in Chicago?? Come on some hunter should have heard about that already. Seriously, how serious can i take this??

Supernatural won't work as a one city, one place kinda show. Just call it Law and Order : Supernatural Chicago.
Flag
Sean Faris (aka Tom Cruise) is a good actor, he's been in a fair few programs and films. Lucien Laviscount has played big roles in the UK. Guaranteed these are the two main characters (bar David the Shapeshifter) I think it just needs to be given a chance and it could develop into something you want to see every week. Spin off are always never going to live up to their parent shows and that's what you have to expect and accept about Bloodlines.
Flag
thats not true. there have been several spin off shows in tv history that were just as good if not better than the original. No one should settle for crap. Don't feed be shit and tell me its pizza. DOnt produce bad tv and tell me its supernatural.
Flag
The only possible spin-offs I could think of would revolve either around would be Castiel/Misha Collins, or Crowley/Mark Sheppard. I think an Underworld-perspective could work, seeing everything from different eyes.
Flag
I've always been a fan of Garth, despite his last episode majorly screwing up his character by turning him into a werewolf. Garth has freakish luck and, despite having no fighting abilities whatsoever (even as a werewolf) he SOMEHOW managed to outlast older, more experienced hunters. Even in his first mention in "Weekend at Bobby's" showed Bobby on the phone, amazed that Garth is still alive after making mistakes that would ordinarily kill a hunter instantly ("How are you still alive?") A spinoff where Garth loses his family and sets out to avenge them, fighting monsters-of-the-week as well as fending off hunters who see him as a monster first and nice guy second has potential to be an amazing series, especially if they kept it lighthearted like most of Garth's episodes were and remain true to the mythologies that were set up that "Bloodlines" tossed out the window. (coughNon-Shedding-Insta-Shiftercough) Plus, if the writers wanted they could tie up loose ends... Susan the Leviathan secretary is probably still out there and Crowley did say that without Dick to lead them they would just be another monster, and before Dick Roman was introduced the Leviathan were actually pretty scary. Also, we could bring back the Alpha-Vamp, arguably the strongest monster on the show who has done absolutely nothing since he gave the boys his blood.
More +
Flag
look, if someone out there wants to have a show about a Chicago run by monster families etc etc and someone trying to keep things in balance and protect the unawares civilians, why don't we skip amateur hour and have a proper tv-show about Harry Dresden? (and by proper, i mean a show that will follow the books damit)
Flag
Why is there two reviews of the same episode from three staff members?

Katlin it would be easier to count the shows you do like than ones you don't. I liked this episode far better than the Originals backdoor, I have yet to watch that show.
Flag
Staff
Shows I like: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Battlestar Galactica, Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, Angel, Sports Night, The West Wing, Dead Like Me, Hannibal, Pushing Daisies, Wonderfalls, The X-Files, Weeds, Friday Night Lights, Roswell, Supernatural, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries, How I Met Your Mother, Justified, Sons of Anarchy, The Originals, Veep, Game of Thrones, Mad Men, Hart of Dixie, New Girl, The Mindy Project, Orphan Black, True Blood, The Newsroom, Firefly, Dollhouse, Agents of SHIELD, The League, Chuck, Dawson's Creek, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Teen Wolf, The Big Bang Theory, The Americans, Sherlock, The 100, Parks and Recreation, Parenthood, Community, Reign, The Good Wife, The Wire, Breaking Bad ....

Should I keep going?
Flag
your my soulmate, lol
Flag
Why did you like it?

The best I've heard is what Katlin said: it could be interesting and it has potential. *shrug* What doesn't? I want to know what's to like based on what we see, not what we can imagine and hope for.
Flag
Supernatural has always been spot on when it comes to casting the perfect actors for certain characters. But this spin-off just looks horrible. The lead, Ennis, is so terribly unconvincing, and only surpassed in bad acting by the actress playing Margo.

I have never not finished an episode of Supernatural, except today.
Flag
I don't know about "always"... Meg 2.0 lacked the creepiness that her original actor portrayed her with. (My favorite scene with Meg 1.0 is her confession scene at the beginnng of Salvation where she describes in detail how she killed a guy while her eyes turned black.) Meg 2.0 seemed more playful-evil, and using double entendres a LOT really ruined the character Nicki Aycox beautifully set up. When Crowley killed her I really didn't mourn her.
Flag
Someone cut their bloodlines so this sucky show runs out out of it! It had the freakin' guts to cut off Sam and Dean scenes in Supernatural. Die show Die! Die before being born. Die a horrible death!
Flag
There is 1 person who keeps hitting refresh, and voting Yes. I know it! The comments are 95% negative. How is the poll for No losing? It makes no sense...
Flag
If you liked it there is really no need to complain, so no comments.
Flag
I should do that just to get the yes vote higher!!!
Flag
I'm also against the idea of Supernatural Spin-off cause during 9 years, the show has covered a big range of various monsters of all kind, demons, angels, etc.
Supernatural leaves almost no room to develop a viable spin-off.
The option "man of letters" is a little bit appealing but this bloodline thing's soooooooooooooooooooo bad. It's childish, cliché and predictable. And seriosly, Godfather with fangs in Chicago, please!
Flag

Bloodlines! It's a Supernatural backdoor pilot for...
a reboot of Kindred: The Embraced?

Dean called Bloodlines, "Godfather with fangs." Ken Tucker of Entertainment Weekly compared Kindred to The Godfather "soaked in blood. Kindred only lasted 8 episodes in 1996, so here's a description lifted from wikipedia for the vast majority who will not be familiar with it:

"Police Detective Frank Kohanek discovers his city is home to numerous vampires whileinvestigating alleged mobster, Julian Luna. Julian is the "prince" of the city, ruler of five species of vampires in the city, collectively called "The Kindred". The vampires survive through the"masquerade", disguising themselves as humans, and Julian strictly enforces the laws that govern them to protect their anonymity. Julian and Frank form an uneasy bond as they work together to try to prevent a vampire war and Julian struggles with his romantic feelings for a human."

Okay. Now compare that to Bloodlines:

Police Detective's son Ennis discovers his city is home to numerous supernatural creatures while investigating the death of his fiancee, Five clans of monsters (werewolves, shape shifters, vampires, djinns & wraiths) secretly rule the city. The creatures survive by disguising themselves as humans. When his elder brother is killed, Dave becomes the heir apparent to the leadership of the shape shifters. He forms an uneasy alliance with Ennis to solve the murders and prevent a war between monster clans while he struggles with his forbidden romantic feelings for a werewolf girl.

Kindred was able to have create some really good moments by amping up the gangster movie and gothic horror elements: different tones but united by blood and dark passions. Unfortunately, Bloodlines looks like it's trying to be another Vampire Diaries: One Tree Hill plus a bit of Sanctuary.
More+
Flag
Kindred was also able to create some really good moments by having veteran actors. I listed them here or on another thread, but... Patrick Bachau. Brian Thompson. Jeff Kober. Kelly Rutherford. Brigid Brannagh. Erik King. I'm not a big fan of C. Thomas Howell, but sure, let's toss him in there.

The main actors on Bloodlines have some resumes (except the one playing Violet), but they just don't stack up to that kind of casting power.

Flag
Bloodlines will last at most 1 season. I say 1 entire season because i feel like out of respect for the core series they would at least let it run its course. This series completely undermines the Winchesters, their legacy, every other hunter out there, and their network.

This is a network of hunters that can pass themselves off as FBI agents, local law, homeland security, and what not...they maintain a network of communication using burners as we've seen people reach out to Dean and Sam when they need help or need to share info on the things that go bump in the night. These guys can do that on their super secret hunter network but somehow 5(?) entire families of monsters living in a major city like Chicago escapes their notice...i mean guys...why hunt the little fish. If it's us against them don't you want to take out the organized families of baddies?

I would much rather watch a series that runs parallel to the core and consist of a Hunter/New Men of Letters team up where we can still explore legacies and those buried prejudices between hunters, monsters, and men-of-letters...it'd be great to see the Winchesters take steps to grow their numbers again like hunters and mols alike and maybe even some friedly monsters...i mean all their knowledge goes with them when the lights go out. How many hunters have teamed up with Angels, faced off against black goop humanity preceding dicks, fought four horsemen and the devil himself, escaped from heaven, hell, AND purgatory...this is all shit they should share and maybe they have and we just haven't seen it which is a shame.
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members