A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

Over the course of its nine seasons, Supernatural has introduced more than its fair share of farfetched storylines, many of which have resulted in the death of one of the Winchesters. In fact, the only Supernatural character who's died more times than Sam or Dean is the Dean of "Mystery Spot," who suffered a very bad (and eternal) Tuesday as the Trickster/Gabriel killed him over and over and over again in very Groundhog's Day-esque time loop. It was hilarious—"You mean we can't even go out for breakfast?" "You'll thank me when it's Wednesday!"—but beneath the humor of watching Dean get crushed by a falling piano or poisoned by a bad taco was the heartbreaking realization that the Winchesters really only have each other. It's why they've gone to such great lengths—including Dean selling his soul at one point—to keep each other alive.

With the introduction of Castiel in Season 4 as the angel who gripped Dean tight and raised him from perdition (a result of the aforementioned soul-selling), Supernatural introduced two more relationships to its ranks: the slashy 'shipper pairing Destiel (which has been renamed Holy Hell after the events of the game-changing Season 9 finale), and Team Free Will, which came about in Season 5 when Dean jokingly assigned the nickname to the trio of Dean, Sam, and Cas ("Team Free Will. One ex-blood junkie, one dropout with six bucks to his name, and Mr. Comatose over there. Awesome.")

But there's one more relationship at the heart of Supernatural, one that we often see but probably don't think much about. And it's possibly the most important one of all. I'm referring, of course, to the love affair between Dean and food. 

We should've known something was terribly wrong during "Do You Believe in Miracles?" when Dean ordered a coffee and nothing else at lunch. But then Crowley got on his case (oh, you sneaky King of Hell!) and Dean ordered his normal burger and fries... which he then left sitting on the table. Still, with everything else going on, who would've faulted Dean for taking a day off from the Clean Plate Club? After all, I always lose my appetite when I'm gripped by blood lust. And all of this was leading to the surprising final scene of the episode, when Dean became a demon—literally his worst nightmare. 

So now we know why he had to let that salty goodness remain untouched. And as we continue to process the finale's big game-changer, I think it's only appropriate that we gather together to mourn and say goodbye to Dean/Food. It's long been my favorite OTP, and here are the .GIFs to prove it.

Eating cocktail weenies in "Nightmare" 

Stuffing his face with quiche in "Provenance"

Chowing down on the caramels in "Tall Tales"

Praising Craft Services in "Hollywood Babylon"

Stealing Sam's food in "Folsom Prison Blues

Lovin' on a sandwich in "What Is and What Should Never Be"

Getting an ice cream headache in "Bad Day at Black Rock"

Seizing an opportunity in "Red Sky at Morning"

Eating bad tacos in "Mystery Spot" 

Going to town on a burger in "Time Is On Our Side"

Appreciating a big pretzel in "Monster Movie"

Munching on a sandwich in "Wishful Thinking" 

Proving he's just like the rest of us in "The Purge"

What are your favorite Dean/Food OTP moments? Will you miss them? And what's Dean going to do without pie?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

59 Comments
Comments (59)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

This is one of my all time favorite scene!!
Flag
Dean realizing he ate some evil grey goo planted in the fast food restaurants by the Leviathans.
Flag
"I don't care, that I don't care."
Flag
When Sam and Dean learned that the Leviathans had poisoned a lot of the world's food supply via bad corn syrup and they're at the convenience store.

Dean excitingly brings back some pie which says "all natural ingredients" and Sam breaks his heart saying that corn syrup is a natural ingredient.
Flag
Sam you forgot the pie!
Flag
"Love me some pie."
Flag
Dean and Pudding :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b5OIIOcnVQ

Flag
"I think you pissed off my sandwich."
Flag
PIE baby
Flag
PUDDING!!!!!
Flag
I also noticed Dean not eating the burger,and immediately said to my husband,that's the one big sign that Dean is changing completely.
Flag
All of them. The mommet dean said no to the burger in the season final I freaked out abit a new something was wrong and so did Crowley.
Flag
I'm pretty sure one could make an article called "Dean Winchester and Drinks" and base it off of one season.
Flag
I feel like this is some sort of weird Jensen Ackles/food fetish :/
Flag
lol
Make one these for Hannibal too please :)
Flag
He loves pie yet we have no gifs of him actually eating pie! LOL!
Flag
He rarely, if ever, gets to have/eat the pie :(
Flag
thanks for these! very funny...
Flag
OMG I love this article, totally cracked me up!! Dean Winchester/Food is definitely my ship, when he left the burger behind I was like huh..ok..

So many hilarious Dean/food moments, my faves are when he's stuffing his face at the most inappropriate times LOL, the donut eating is one of the cutest tho.
Flag
One of my favorites is Dean's face in Season 8 when he brings Kevin food on the boat and he takes the pie.
Flag

Flag
hahaha this article made me piss myself laughing out loud, well done Kaitlin T. Dean is a Legend, he makes everything look cool. Dean eating as almost as good as Dean Swearing and saying ''Son of a b#tch''
Flag
This article made me hungry - I seriously want a burger for lunch now lol.

I like in "It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester" when Dean's pigging out on candy right after they investigated the guy who died from razor blades in his candy, and Sam's like, "Really, dude?"

Flag
I think I remember reading or hearing somewhere that it wasn't the writer's original intent to make Dean such the foodie. But in Nightmare (the first one Kaitlin mentioned above), Jensen eats one of those little wienies and they just thought it worked and went crazy from there.

Also one of my fave moments is right after they've settled into the bunker and Dean cooks an apparently delicious burger for Sam, I think it's in Trial and Error. Awww!
Flag
Staff
Its true! They told Jensen to do something funny and he ate the cocktail weenie and it spiraled out of control from there.
Flag
I love that moment too, it was so cute. Who knew Dean could cook?!
Flag
Staff
Dean used to cook for Sam all the time when they were younger, didn't he?
Flag
I suppose he did, though I always assumed it was instant-type things. Like there's that one flashback scene where Sam's dinner is either cereal or spaghetti-os lol (fyi, I love cereal for dinner :D)

That said, I wasn't too surprised Dean could cook a good burger, because after all the burgers he ate from different places over the years, he is like a burger expert. Even if he'd never cooked a burger before, it probably came on pure instinct :P
Flag
I want Dean to cook for me... *sigh*
Flag
S4's "The Monster At The End Of This Book": "Tofu's amazing!"
Besides his relationship with food, my other fave relationship is between him and the Impala!
Flag
Yes! Poor Dean!
Flag
Damn this article made me hungry.
Flag
I suddenly have an urge to eat some cheeseburgers...
Flag
Our favorite relationship that is no more? Awwww come on, I haven't watched it yet. And now I think it's been spoiled.
Flag
Dean swearing revenge against the Leviathans for putting the human dope drug in all foods made with corn syrup... including pie.
Flag

The greatest love affair in television.......Dean and his mistress,FOOD!

Flag
Staff
My favorite, from Plucky Pennywhistle's Magical Menagerie:

Flag
Pizza Time... time for pizza! THISPIZZATASTESLIKESHIT!
Flag
You missed my favourite.

"That's good sandwich."

"Do rats shake their ass or is that something else?"

Gawd, he's adorable.

Flag
This is the one I was looking for!
Flag
Hands down, my favourite Dean + food moment is at the beginning of "All Hell Breaks Loose".

"Bring me some pie!"
Flag

How to win friends and influence monsters(season 7)

Flag
BTW how the hell Dean doesn't get fat? I know this scenes get at least five takes to perfection. Average 3000 cal a day? What your secret Jensen?

Flag
Part of me think that unless we actually see them swallow in the scene they may spit it out at the end of each take.
Flag
18-20 hour days. Training for stunts, gym, dancing on set, he eats healthy in real life, chasing after a small baby. :)
Flag
That's why his character seems to enjoy the food so much. Because on set is the only time he gets to eat like that.
Flag
Ya I remember and interview with Jared where he said, Jensen eats salad and that he(Jared) is the one who is always reaching for the junk food.
Flag
hahaha good point flintslady.
Flag
Dean and his food. Tasty treat. Hahaha Sam the errand boy. Those were the days. I just hope that since Dean is a demon now he still gets to eat well as Hannibal could ever interpret it as - delectable parts.
Flag
All and more and still more to come in season 10..
Flag
I can't believe you didn't include a single mention of pie.
Flag
I saw this and felt I should leave it here: http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Pie
Flag
This was my thought too!!! But Kaitlin's right, I think it is his favorite food but he eats a lot more burgers than anything else. I do sort of think though...Cain ate didn't he? While he was waiting for Dean to fight the demons who broke in? I know he was returning from food shopping and that would seem otherwise pointless.
Flag
Staff
I don't know that everything is going to work exactly the same as it did with Cain, but Dean definitely won't be able to eat his favorite salty foods without some extreme pain unless the show decides to suddenly change everything we know about salt.
Flag
Didn't Crowley go looking for the First Blade in the deepest part of the (salty!) ocean?
Flag
Staff
Do we honestly believe Crowley himself went diving into the ocean searching things? I don't buy it.
Flag
Doh forgot about the salt thing (I would be terrible in a demon or ghost emergency). TTechnically I am supposed to avoid salt too...so its possible.
Flag
Staff
He never gets to eat it! :(
Flag
Not quite "never". It happens. Sometimes.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members