A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

A lot has changed Supernatural over the years, but one thing remains the same: The Winchesters sure do die a lot.

Combined, Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) have died a grand total of 117 times during their decade-long mission to carry out the family business of saving people, hunting things. They've been offed by everything from a taco to Hellhounds to run-of-the mill gunshot wounds. But how do they always manage to come back? And how many times has death actually left a lasting impression on either brother? 

In the infographic below, we've broken down every instance in which Sam or Dean has shuffled off this mortal coil during Supernatural's first nine seasons, as well as what each demise has meant for both the Winchesters and the show.

Supernatural Season 10 premieres Tuesday, October 7 at 9pm.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

83 Comments
Comments (81)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm still giggling at the little icons for all the way that the trickster killed Dean LMAO great job here!
Flag
Stabbed by a Metatron! Love it!.
Flag
The graphics are amazing! great job.
But I have to disagree with some of the deaths, like some of the people commenting here did.
The astral projections weren't deaths, they weren't ghosts or anything like that, and their bodies never stopped functioning (hearts beating and lungs breathing).
Dean going to purgatory was a trip through the portal created by Roman's death; neither he nor Castiel died to get there, that's why they could get out just by going through another portal, unlike Benny,m who had to be revived by Dean with an incantation or spell, which is how Bobby could get out too.
I doubt Sam died when he threw himself into the Cage with Lucifer, Michael and Adam; His body was almost immediately grabbed by Castiel, but his soul stayed there, but he didn't actually died to go to hell, again, the portal thing, which opened with the horsemen's rings. Actually I think Adam hasn't died either, he's just gone, he's in whatever plane hell is, all of him (soul, mind and body). Like Dean when in purgatory, and unlike Dean when in hell (just his soul went to hell when his body died).
In the season one finale, when they got hit by a semi, Dean didn't die, he slipped to a coma; John traded his life to get Dean better, not to get him back (like Dean did when Sam died). Unless you're counting technically dead which it did happen en his heart stopped and doctors had to shock him with the defibrillator. Which is implied happened, too, after being electrocuted while killing the raw-head.

Aside from that, this was awesome!!... jajaja... The trickster episode is by far one of my favorites... So funny with all the different and sometimes ridiculous deaths; but so heartbreaking too by the great impact Dean's many deaths have on Sam... I cried like a baby last time I watched it, so much that I had to take a break before starting the next episode... actually Sam changed after that time, he was even more adamant to get Dean out of his deal, because he had a taste (three month taste) of what life was going to be without Dean. The trickster kept up the charade for THREE MONTHS!! And Sam came out of that experience older. I just love it :)
More+
Flag
Hi, so, I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but in season 4, episode 15, the boys don't technically die. Yes, they enter the veil as spirits, but their bodies are very much alive. Remember, they were trying to find out why death was "taking a holiday" and asked Pamela to send them into the spirit world which she did while watching over their bodies so they could return to them.
Flag
Actually when Dean went to hell Sam summoned the crossroads demon and asked him to bring Dean back at which point the demon told him that the demons have both the brothers right where they want then so he wouldn't make the deal
Flag
Hah. Amazing stuff.
Flag
Ash - "....angels squeegeed your brains"
Flag
Wow what a break down of the show. The way I see it dean has dies so many times and Sam didn't put much effort into saving him but when Sam is dead or near dead Dean sacrifices a lot to save him so regardless Dean is effected by both his and Sams deaths and each time Dean gets darker. I binged watched all the seasons a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing how each season Dean breaks more and more
Flag
man, they talk a big game on the show and they back it up with DYING A LOT.

Flag
wow, what a break-down! and let me tell you, that trickster episode is one of my favorite eps of TV ever. so funny!!
Flag
Wasn't it brilliant.
Flag
First off this is really cool. Kudos.

But can we really count Season 7 finale as Dean dying? He was kinda just teleported to Purgatory he was always alive.
Flag
He died because he blew up into tinnnny tinnnny pieces of dust.
Flag
Dick Roman blew up. Sam and Castiel were then sucked into the portal that Dick's explosion caused. That's how I took it anyway, when Dean returned in Season 8, his physical body walked out of the portal in the woods, you know?
Flag
Oh yeh maybe I'll have to watch it again to see.
Flag
he had to die to get to purgatory right? it's been so long I don't remember.
Flag
Sam got into Purgatory and Hell without dying
Flag
He blew up though.
Flag
Lol I love this infographic! I wanna put it as my desktop wallpaper!
Flag
Umm... If those counts then I think you should add:

1) Dean becoming a vampire temporary (aren't they undead?)

2) Dean dying from electrecution and then getting cured by the faith healer holding the reaper. Since some of the ones you mentioned aren't "death" but "dying"
Flag
yeah, both of those are not deaths at all. he wasn't a fully transformed vampire yet, and like you said he was dying from the electrocution, it didn't kill him. unless you count his heart stopping before CPR or was it in the operating room?.... is that a technicality? sheesh
Flag
Neither are some of the ones in his\her list... Which is why I said "if this is how you define death, then..."
Flag
I don't see the graphic :(

Flag
I need to go watch season 5. What the heck was happening during that season?
Flag
The boys were trying to stop Lucifer whilst the Apocalypse was happening around them. Tbh, S5 is my fave season.
Flag
S3, 4, 5, 8 & 10 are my faves...
Flag
Season 5 is my favorite also, followed by 4.
Flag
Same here with S2 following 4 + 5.
Flag
Whahahahahahaaa hahahahaa one hundred and eleven times....! Whahahahaaaa bwahahahaaa...(tears streaming)... whahahaa one-one-one! Gawd, that was goooooood! Great breakdown! :-D
Flag
The Mystery Spot was one of the best episodes of the show.
Flag
I still enjoy the many deaths of Dean when at the Mystery Pit. That and how hardcore Sam becomes in the end of that episode.
Flag
Yeah Supernatural and TVD are like comic books, almost no one important dies permanently.
Flag
I loved that line in Angel:
"Death never stopped us before, why should it start now"?

Though at least it seems like TVD wants to fix that.
Flag
How by killing Damon and Bonnie and then bringing them back?
Flag
There's also the original family renunion, but they said everyone else are gone for good.

(Of course if ratings fail they'll bring some of them back)
Flag
On Supernatural it's only Sam & Dean who don't stay dead at least - with TVD it seems like everyone gets to come back to life unless you're Kol or Katherine.

Flag
Kol is totally coming back on The Originals tho!
Flag
I'm pretty sure Nate said it was only for a flashback though.
Flag
I miss kol ;(
Flag
But I thought he's only coming back for a flashback episode. Still holding out hope that he'll be brought back to life somehow.
Flag
It's a bummer how they always kill off the more interesting characters and keep the annoying ones alive. *cough* Elena *cough*
Flag
There are several up there that do not count.
Flag
I have a quibble - I wouldn't count Dean going to Purgatory as a death. Only monsters go to Purgatory when they die; the fact that Dean was a human and ended up there is why he was able to escape - because humans aren't meant to be there. Dean killing Dick Roman sent him to Purgatory, like sending him to another dimension basically - he didn't die and go there. If he'd died, he would've ended up somewhere else.

That's why, when Sam needed to get to Purgatory (in order to get to Hell), he had a Reaper take him; he didn't just die. Whereas Dean killed Benny in order to get him back to Purgatory, because Benny is a monster. Purgatory is an afterlife for monsters only, not humans.

Anyway, otherwise this was a very interesting read! I don't even remember Dean dying by the injection in Season 6, but then, I hate Season 6 and pretty much never rewatch it, so.
Flag
I agree with this.

I also don't know if Sam being trapped in the cage counts as a death - he fell into Lucifer's cage but I don't remember him actually dying.
Flag
I agree.

He didn't technically die, it looked like he was just teleported there -- body and all.

Flag
Some of those were near-death incidents, not actual deaths. Granted without help they would have died but help often appeared in time.

Sam being trapped in the cage wasn't a death, it was an imprisonment.

The 103 fantasy deaths should be cut out.

It would be better if it listed just the clear deaths, not the near-deaths or "dream sequences."

Flag
Maybe the cage was an imprisonment. But you can't tell me that somewhere along the lines of Sam being scratched, torn up, attacked, beaten and pummeled mercilessly etc. by Lucifer and Michael for nearly an eternity that he didn't die at some point. I'd go as far as to say that the cage should count as countless, or at least multiple deaths for Sam.
Flag
Staff
Dean dying over and over again in "Mystery Spot" are by far the greatest deaths that have ever happened on the show, though. And they changed Sam, too.
Flag
The sheer hilarity and absurdness of those deaths definitely made them more memorable! :)
Flag
Awesome representation--im from india by the way
Flag
This is really fun - thank you for putting it together!

I just want to be a little nitpicky though mostly because I can't help myself.

In Death Takes a Holiday, I'm not sure that Sam and Dean were really dead. I interpreted it as Pamela using her psychic ability to project their spirits from their bodies, and then lure them back when they were done. So not really dead?

Also when Dean went to hell, he was really dead (killed by hellhounds), but when Sam jumps in at the end of Swan Song, was he dead? Or was he a living guy who just happened to be in hell?

Similarly when Dean goes to purgatory, I don't think he was dead. He got swept up in Dick's wake, but I thought partly the reason he got out was because he was a living human?

And I also wondered where you got the stat of 103 Dean deaths in Mystery Spot?

This helps pass the hellatus time though!
Flag
I definitely agree with Death Takes a Holiday. Because unlike when Dean has the Dr kill him in Appointment at Samarra there was a time limit really for the boys to return to their bodies-until Pamela is stabbed.

But I think Sam was definitely died when he went into the hole. Unlike Dean in Purgatory. If Dean had died in Purgatory he would have gone to Heaven but Sam could never escape because he was already dead. Or at least was for all intents and purposes.

One other nitpick I want to add. Castiel saved Sam's body but Death is who actually saved Sam.
Flag
Agree with 95% of what you said, but I do think that for all intents and purposes Sam and Dean were dead in "Death takes a Holiday."
Flag
I agree with your nitpicks!
Flag
i hope this is the final season. it's been a good run
Flag
The non-reality deaths of Sam should have gone off the charts when the Trickster kept killing him for Dean to watch repeatedly.
Flag
When one of the Winchesters die permanently, will the audience care??
I know i won't.
A great show ruined by repetitive story lines. well done TV writers
Flag
"A great show ruined by repetitive story lines." WHAT?

I still love this show. I find the stories to be surprisingly fresh for the show having completed 9 seasons. The main story may have went a bit downhill after the show was supposed to conclude with Lucifer. However it could have been a lot worse, Purgatory was a smart side-track starting point for the writers who basically thought they were finished. I mean there is some big and small issues throughout the story after. However...

I still very much enjoy the show, and the story recently I feel is moving in a great direction. I hope S10 is great.
Flag
Yeah ok, if you say so

Yo know the saying 'you can't polish a turd' That applies to supernatural seasons 6-9 and most likely it's future
Flag
I can't imagine the show without Season 6. Yes it had some issues but also some phenomenal storylines and episodes. The rest of the seasons have been a mixed bag for me.
Flag
So stop watching? I still think that they have enough stories left for a few seasons but who knows...

Flag
I've spent 9 years of my life watching Supernatural, so do you really think i'm just gonna quit because some random on the internet thinks i should?

Why is that always the go to argument for someone who does not like a shows current direction? If all of the 'haters' quit the show, im gathering the ratings wouldn't be up to much, therefore the show would be over, therefore, you would have yourself to blame for it's demise and not CW

Season 1-5 were spectacular, and i keep hoping and praying that they can make a come-back but it never does
Flag
Because you are saying that you do not care if someone dies anymore. Not liking the direction is one thing; saying that you do not care for the Winchesters anymore (which is how your initial message reads) is a different thing.

Flag
Like i said, not caring about the characters has nothing to do with me still watching it, i watch it cause im a completest, if this was it's 2nd season, i would have given up (like i did with Revenge) but its going into its TENTH season, i refuse to give up just because you think i should

And the fates of Sam & Dean have not bothered me since around season 4, and that was when the show was brilliant.

Sam & Dean used to be an amazing dynamic duo that had comedic parts and dramatic parts, but all they seem to do lately is argue over things they brought up early on in the series. Even Cas is finding it hard to bring comic relief lately.
Flag
Someone is jealous.
Flag
Jealous of what please?
Flag
Seems solid.

Only point of contention is I don't recall hearing a hard-number of the deaths Dean suffered in "Mystery Spot"

I imagine it was more than we saw in the montage. And a glance at the Supernatural wikia page for the episode doesn't list or enumerate the deaths.

I know at one point "over a hundred" was mentioned, but Sam also said he lost count.
Flag
This is great! It's the piece of information that was lacking in my life. And here silly me, collecting infographics about the upcoming presidential election in my country. Infographics like yours is what I really need! (No sarcasm intended at all...) How long did it take to compile all that and did you rewatch all nine seasons taking notes just to do it?
Flag
I cannot believe this show is 10 years old already. Sam and Dean have both grown up (so have I) and done many ridiculous things. I have not missed one episode of the great Supernatural, but the show has to end for good this season. Enough is Enough.
Flag
Hahahaa, death by Taco!!!
Great Infographic!! Who knew death could be so colourful.
Flag
LOL, yeh that was one of the funnier ones.

Dean: Does this taco taste funny to you?
[Cut to] "in the Heat of the moment..."
Flag
Staff

Flag
:) best episode and best death.
Flag
My favorite part of the whole episode!
Flag
My daughter and I were literally crying with laughter at this.
Flag
While it is true that Sam jumped into the pit at the end of season 5 it was NOT Castiel who pulled him out. CROWLEY was the one who resurrected Sam and Grampa Sam and then the Horseman Death went in and rescued Sam's soul from the cage and put it back in Sam. Death also created the wall that separated the memories of hell from Sam's conscious and then Castiel broke that wall causing Sam to lose his sanity. The only part Castiel played that was any good was to take on Sam's psychosis.
Flag
I'd suggest you (re)watch episode 6.20, a very Castiel centric episode where he confesses "once again I went to harrow hell to free Sam from Lucifer's cage", but as you mentioned his soul was left in the Cage and Death went back for it.
Flag
watch earlier episodes and you also see Crowley laying claim to getting Sam back from Hell so it WAS NOT just Castiel!!!
Flag
Taking credit for something and doing something are two different things. Watch the whole season - it is pretty obvious that Crowley was just taking credit because he needed Sam at the time and because Cas could not show his real plans...

Flag
True, Crowley took credit for rescuing Sam.

But he might have been covering for Castiel since they were in cahoots.

In "The Man Who Would Be King" we hear Castiel talking to the audience about his role in everything lately and how he's been lying to the brothers. Among his revelations was that he was in fact the one to remove Sam from the cage but admitted he was unaware he left the soul behind.
Flag
Right! And later Sam actually accuses Cas of having deliberately left his soul behind.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members