We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

Supernatural S09E02: "Devil May Care"

She's baaaaaaack! Her royal ass-kicking ginger awesomeness is back in the commandeered flesh.

And she's PISSED.

Apparently, in Abaddon's absence, hell got kind of wussified with Crowley in charge. The culture shifted from a traditional slaughter-all-the-innocents focus to a more modern office-full-of-slimy-salesmen approach and our gal is having none of it. With the Men of Letters as she knew them largely out of commission, Lucy back in lockdown, Crowley MIA, and the angels locked out of the mothership, Abby is revamping (or, in her mind, restoring) hell's image, starting with the meatsuits. Grandma was great for offering little league trophies in exchange for the souls of adolescents—and if Supernatural is still following its own canon, we have no reason to believe that the Grandma costume was any less powerful than the beefy Naval officer one—but the first step in any rebranding is to figure out what the new image is going to be. Vintage Hell is all over Abaddon's runway this season.

Sometimes change is good, though, and unfortunately for Abby, her old-school ambition to Kill All the Winchesters, Round 82 (ding!) went... about as well as her predecessor's attempts. This isn't exactly Sam and Dean's first kegger. I mean, girl followed the script perfectly. She had the "old friends" of the brothers who we literally just met ten seconds ago, and managed to kidnap them due to their being lesser hunters. A dash of guilt-tripping and emotional badgering got them driving halfway across the country to fling themselves genetically-gifted-faces-first at the OBVS trap like a buncha big damn heroes. Thank goodness for super secret angel BFFs who live in the back of your neanderthal skull and pop out like glow-in-the-dark defense mechanisms when the going gets tough. 

SO ABOUT EZEKIEL—

I know I'm not going to win the Dean-and-Ezekiel-were-wrong-because-CONSENT-ISSUES argument, but I'm also going to try not to let my grossed-out feelings ruin Ezekiel for me because he's kind of weird and interesting. Years of watching Supernatural have conditioned me to assume the worst: He's not going to give Sam's body back, he's not who he says he is, he's got some nefarious motive for helping the Winchesters, whatever. All of this seems possible—logical, even—if we're drawing on nine seasons' worth of tradition. 

But then there's the fact that Castiel vouched for him last week. He also hasn't really come off as untrustworthy, so much as he has odd, and not quite as worldly or experienced as Cas—he may even be a little naive. He seemed genuinely confused and concerned about why Dean was upset that he just took over the captain's chair when Sam was knocked out, "I was protecting your brother. I thought that's what you wanted." He almost seemed like a scolded child who'd only wanted to help, but inadvertently made a bigger mess in the process. 

Like, say, how casually Zeke busted out the ol' memory wipe. I'm sure that won't start tripping alarms anytime soon. At this point, despite how early it is in the Season 9, it seems like it'd almost be a relief to Dean if Sam just figured everything out. The guilt that was horrifyingly missing from last week's questionable-consent-lovefest arrived late, but at least it showed up. Dean knows he did wrong. Even Sam's admission that he feels good and happy at the moment only served to make him feel worse. DRINK DRINK DRINK, DEAN. It's okay, boo. Feeling feelings is overrated. CHUG.

So. Ezekiel is hard to get a read on, which is fun. Abaddon is in total HBIC mode, which is also fun. Momma Tran might not actually be dead but we're probably not going to rescue her because she's not currently essential to the story—similar to why Adam is still in hell after four seasons—but Kevin is acting more like people and less like a plot device, so that's fun too! "Devil May Care" was a strong follow-up to "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" in that it didn't screw around and risk losing steam. In general, it was an enjoyable hour of TV that managed to set the stage for the rest of the season without revealing too much of the behind-the-scenes stuff that can bog down early episodes with endless exposition. Here's hoping Supernatural manages to keep up the momentum (and also that that BAMFy lady-hunter who was super unimpressed with Sammich doesn't get stabbed in the face the next time we see her). 

And now, ice cream and strippers for all! See you next week for more Season Fiiiiiine! 

NOTES FROM THE APOCALYPSE

– Is it just me or were Sam-zekiel's wings kinds of janky and bare looking? Because Ezekiel is supposed to be all weak and beat-up and stuff? Dude's even losing feathers! Look!

– OMG Sam with wings. UM. UH. I'll be in my bunk. 

– Abaddon threatening to possess Dean: Please be foreshadowing, please be foreshadowing, please be foreshadowing. Jensen Ackles doesn't have the chance to get his evil on nearly as often as he should. 

– Nervous LOL @ Abby threatening to torture people while wearing Dean as a prom dress because she doesn't think he knows what ripping a person's guts out feels like. Someone needs to get her hands on Season 4. 

– So was Zeke flashing the Sam Winchester puppy-dog-eyes of doom because he knew they'd make Dean angst, or does Ezekiel have his own set of puppy expressions that just happen to resemble Sam's? OMG DO THEY HAVE A PROFOUND BOND TOOOOOO?

– Kevin Solo! I'm so happy he took his Midol and now, apparently, gets to do more than stare at tablets and whine. JUSTIFIED WHINING, SURE, but still...

– Except now that Kevin's officially been declared "family," his days are most certainly numbered. I give him 'til winter hiatus. How about you?

– It was nice to see the hunter community in action again, even if half of them were dead by the end of the episode. 

– "I'm Sam Winchester." "Good for you." Awwww snap. 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2016

Season 11 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/4/2016

Season 11 : Episode 20

161 Comments
Comments (160)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OMG when are people going to stop harping on about Adam being stuck in hell? He was a no body character who was on screen for about 30 seconds and got dropped into a big hole in the ground. BOO FREAKIN HOO, get over it all ready. He was never on screen long enough to care about or really consider as a family member. If they are going to bring back anyone it should be Papa Winchester or even Mary if possible. Hell I would even deal with an episode of rehashing Jess-angst again because at least she was central to the whole set up. Adam schmadam who cares where he is or whether he is roasting marshmellows with Lucy or being roasted by Lucy?

Am not buying the whole guilty secret thing either..................its one long bore fest and its only two episodes old. Get it out in the open, let Sam make his own mind up and lets see Sam & Zeke working in tandem, that would actually be quite cool.

As for the King of Hell and Kevin what a wash out that was. Crowley sits in a dark cupboard and suddenly he is wiling to tell all to the Winchesters just for the opportunity to mind f#@&* Kevin. Why tell us now that Mama K is still alive when we probably wont see anything done about it till the end of the season?? What we are probably going to get is weeks and weeks of Kevin whining and moaning and sulking like a bitch which is just tedious and vomit inducing followed by Dean giving him the family speech. What is this an episode of day time tv soap land or Supernatural??

And Abby.............she has so much potential to an awesome season 'bad' but at the moment all we are getting is comic relief. Lets see the Knight of Hell actually kicking butt and coming close to winning. Lets see the Winchester crew on their back feet wondering just what they have to do to kill her and lets see them have to actually do something other than fall back on Kevin and the tablet to give them the answers at the last possible second. Abby could be awesome wicked like the demons were back in season 1 & 2 so lets get it on.
More+
Flag
I can't decide whether you're a troll or just a Cyberman.
Flag
After this episode I'm still not sure whether to fully trust Ezekiel I just don't know about his intentions. Apart from this I loved this episode but I love all of supernatural episodes. The agents stark and banner thing was so funny typical supernatural. I love abaddon's character she is awesome and I love how they played the moment with dean it was great.
Flag
I think you called it on the child reference to Ezekiel. Like his issue is going to be he won't give up Sam until Sam is totally perfect (and his interpretation of that and what a thirty year old guy who has been to hell and back and has suffered through addictions to demon blood and whatever was done to him as a baby are probably different) and he can exist on his own too. I sense that will be until they can find time in..I'm going to destroy the spelling of his name so I won't try, but I think he is still alive and being an almost bad guy on Continuum, but Ezekiel's previous body's schedule to reappear.

I have better faith that Kevin will be around most of the season, honestly because most of the bad guys aren't actually after the Winchesters this season. Both sides actually want them alive to hand over Castiel and/or Crowley. And both bad guys think Crowley is dead (that's all Abbe wanted, right?) and they are hiding Cas. What will be fun is when Cas makes it to the lair. Can we please please have an episode where it is just Cas, Kevin and Crowley stuck alone. Like the boys have to go roust some vampires or something we don't care about.
More+
Flag
Agents Stark and Banner!!!
oh, how I love this show!
Flag
In my opinion ezekiel isnt going to be a ''good guy'', and as the season goes he will have more and more power of controling sam's body and mind, and i think that he will use it for his own benefit. Also another theory is that ezekiel may has some conection with lucifer, and i think at then end of season 9 lucifer will walk the earth in sam's body, do you remember ''then end''? Season 5 episode 4, cass has no powers, bobby is dead, angels are fallen and the year is 2014, and the best scene is when sam's says to dean we will always end up here, whatever choices you make, or how you will change the facts the destination will be the same.

Flag
To my mind, Ezekiel is almost CERTAINLY *not* Ezekiel. When he stopped that other angel from beating up Dean in the premiere, the other angel asked his name and "Ezekiel" was all... "oh names aren't important, we're brother etc.". (not fishy at all...!) He only gave the name Ezekiel when he was alone with Dean - making me think that the other angel's wouldn't have bought it (presumably bc they know Ezekiel is already dead or something?).

Also suspecting that he picked Ezekiel precisely because Cas would vouch for him (since obviously Dean would run it by Cas). Cas, having been out of the heaven loop for a couple of years, probably wouldn't know if anything HAD happened to Ezekiel, whereas other angels would.

So yeah, imo that is SO not Ezekiel, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was Lucifer. (but I *would* be THRILLED.)
Flag
It might not be Ezekiel or it might be that Ezekiel is know to the angels in a negative way he might have done something against there crazy rules. Who knows but I do like your theory.
Flag
What wings do you expect from a fallen angel? I think it was quite appropriate to let them look ruffled and a little bit burned up - still it gave me chills to see Ezekiel awaken in Sam and sweep away the demons single-handedly! I just hope he is a good one, I like him, and Sam and Dean have enough on their plate right now as to worry about an angel gone rogue in Sam's body.

I missed Cas, though, and cannot wait for the next episode... I love him to bits, and even if I am mourning the trenchcoat, his new look suits him just as well!
Flag
I still want to know how the fallen angels managed to keep their graces when Anna lost hers as a result of falling??
Flag
Oh, Anna, she was one of my favourite characters so far... Long time ago, though. I seem to recall that she didn't lose her grace because of falling; on the contrary: She fell because she removed her grace on purpose. She was unhappy in heaven and said once to Dean that she detested to be obedient to God and missed to be able to feel emotions. Therefore she removed her grace to become human.
Flag
Just caught up on both episodes. I didn't overly love either one, but they're still building up some points here and hey, who doesn't love a good journey into the crazy brainspace that is Sam? I'm still desperately disappointed they weren't able to close the gates of Hell; I badly wanted them to have a win and it seems like that storyline could have major consequences of its own if Heaven's shutdown is any indication.

I thought it was interesting they brought up two things in this episode: Sam and Dean's anti-possession tattoos and Sam unlocking Lucifer's box. Not that we would have forgotten either, but it seems like the show reminding us of those two points might matter in the not-so-distant future.

I'm with you on the ickyness of the Sam possession--it's going to be so mad/sad. But I never considered he and Ezekiel could be wing buddies like Dean and Cas.

Question: Why aren't they trying to continue curing Crowley? Sam may have stopped the trials but the cure was clearly working and shouldn't do anything to reset the trials. Still, A+ for morally conflicted Mark Sheppard.

More+
Flag
I was just thinking about Kevin, who I don't even particularly like, but I appreciate not having to listen to Sam and Dean talk in circles, so yeah, please stay.

What the hell have the Winchesters told him was the cause of the Closing the Gates of Hell Forever plan failing?

Kevin had all his future life plans ripped away by suddenly inheriting the prophet mantle, his GF was killed, he had his finger temporarily cut off, he had to live on the run with his mom, his mom has at best been killed and at worse is walking around as some demons meat suit to terrorize him in the future. He lived in isolation and was mentally screwed with by Crowley.

And, Dean's excuse is what? I couldn't give up my only biological family member, even though that family member was willing to complete the task, then I went to extraordinary measures to find a way to save said family member when they appeared to be dying anyway even though they NEVER COMPLETED THE TASK. But you and me Kev, we're totally bros! Your mom being alive and somewhere suffering, NBD, have some prune juice for your plumbing.

I think this upsets me more than the Non-consent Consent ploy Dean engaged in. It brings up all kinds of questions. Why is Dean still hunting with Sam if he can't bear to lose Sam? Why is Dean hunting when he is capable of letting anyone he's there to help die, if it meant saving Sam? The Co-dependency is a sickness.

If Kevin loses it and decides to set Sam and Dean ablaze why they sleep or release Crowley on the condition he whisks those two straight to hell, no evil monologuing allowed, I might cheer him on.

More+
Flag
Dean has always been that way with Sam and keeping him around even if he doesn't want it that way is kind of Dean's way. He has a real blind spot when it comes to Sam and everyone knows it.

Thing is it is such a sickness, especially at this point, that it's actually getting a bit scary.

When it all comes to a head (and it will) Dean will have it from all sides (espiecally Sam and Kevin) and that will not be pretty.
Flag
Dang!

However, most of what happened to Kevin is Crowley's fault, not the Winchesters. Also, Kevin knows the pain of losing the only person in his life; I am sure he would understand why Dean did what he did. Heck, he was on the phone with Dean when the latter demanded Cas to take him to Sam to stop the trials.
Flag
We could just blame God for designating Kevin a prophet.

Crowley is responsible for mucho shit. He's a demon, I'd expect nothing less. The shown carelessness of the Winchesters with him or the absymal thought process of the writers have shown at times when it comes to human behavior, which ever your prefer, lead to or compounded the crapfest happening to the kid.

Kevin is going to have to be revealed to be one extremely empathic and forgiving soul for me to believe he'd give a pass on this colossal selfish fuck-up. So far, Kevin has been shown to be goal orientated and high strung.

When Sam initailly usurped the task of The Trails from Dean, Dean should have pulled a mull then, and handed The Trails over to other hunters. Whenever we're reminded that other hunters exist outside of Sam and Dean and that the brothers TALK TO THEM, you could knock me over. So, why can't some other hunters take up The Trails now? Just because the Winchesters said, "Screw it. I want to liiiiive, until I don't", doesn't mean someone else can't complete it.

I must be getting old. I'm getting less distracted by the pretty on this Show these days, lol.
More +
Flag
I guess Kevin's reactions will depend on if he buys what Crowley is trying sell not only the possibility that his mother is alive and needs his help (which I would guess is about fifty-fifty right now) and that stuff about how Sam and Dean use people up and throw them away without a thought to the fall out. If he buys the later it might justify (in his mind) he's taking Crowley and heading off without Sam or Dean to try and save her and that would be a horrible, horrible mistake.
Flag
Well, ChicN I wouldn't be surprised if he grabs up Crowley and tries to find his mother on his own and ends up getting double crossed by Crowley. Now if he actual dies or not depends on if Crowley needs him for something that given week or not. He might need him to try and reverse what Sam did to him because he Crowley does seem to trying to suppress the effects of that so that might keep Kevin alive for awhile. I really like Kevin and would like to see him live longer but I guess that really depends on if they feel they have anything more to say about profits or not but I would love for them clarify the stuff with Chuck since some people are still refusing to accept he was God hiding as a profit and we need something more definitive to put that to bed once and for all. :)
Flag
I think Kevin's due for a terrible end no matter what. But with this show, who isn't? Part of its charm.

As long as they don't mess with Garth's happy zen hunter personality, I'll be OK.
Flag
I love Abbadon. So glad to see her back in the hot meatsuit. I didn't quite get why they had to have soldier bodies since everyone of them are as strong in whatever bodies they find themselves in. Abby is probably building her own brand. Good episode.

Flag
It's not for the strength, it was for the acess to weapons and to vital areas I would guess. I mean it would have been hard to have them hunting down Dean and the others with their military grade weapons otherwise. :)
Flag
Also, for the season I would love when they do find themselves in random monster of the week episodes that it would be more scary.
When I first started the series I there were episodes that really left me a bit paranoid. I know there's loads going on in the show now, but some how they always manage to get some episodes where the boys just do a job while waiting for the next move.
Flag
I hope we get to see evil/ possessed dean this season that would definitely be a great twist.
Flag
That would be fun and interesting
Flag
It would be interesting because while he has done evil turns (like in his dream when he met himself as a demon) that haven't really had him actually possessed. Of course that tattoo would have to go first. :)
Flag
I think that's because they always associate Sam which the demons and dean with the angels, but dean possessed and going to the dark side would be great
Flag
Yeah, it would have been kind of nice if they had just let Micheal take Dean and Sam Lucifer without destroying the whole world somehow. Oh well.
Flag
How awesome would it be for the end of the 9th season to be the beginning of Lucifer walking the earth in Sam's body? Do you remember
"the end"? season 5 episode 4(Cas has no powers, angels are fallen, boby is dead and year is 2014, and the bast part is when sam says ''we will always end up here, see you in 5 years dean, (2014!!).That would make for an awesome 10th season and a great end to a great series.
Flag
You are right, what a great idea, that would make for an amazing story arc. I doubt the writers had that in mind four years ago, but you never know! Anyway, it was one of the best episodes ever and it feels good to be reminded of it. Thanks!
Flag
That episode was definite foreshadowing and so distant that I'd forgotten about it. Now, as I review, I realize just how this could play out because you are right Simantiros, all the rest of the conditions are pretty well met. If Ezekiel turns out to be Lucifer walking the earth in Sam's body, talk about Dean angst when he discovers he's the one that brought it about.

I love this show!
Flag
i think you are right, and another possible playout is abaddon freeing lucifer, (maybe... we will see)! here is a link to possible options for lucifer returning
(http://www.bubblews.com/news/834422-lucifer-returns-to-supernatural)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The return of Crowley was the best part of the episode for me and it's good to see that he didn't lose his "personality" after the last trial.
Flag
A nice solid episode! Glad that Kevin will be sticking around more and I hope that the writers further develop his character since I see that he has potential to be a powerful ally for the boys. And I'm speaking this partially for selfish reasons since we need more Asian actors/characters on American TV. I still don't fully trust Zeke (I'm calling him Zeke instead of Ezekial because I'm too lazy to type out his full name) for all the reasons that MaryAnn listed but I hope when it's officially confirmed that he has good intentions that he'll be a good ally for the boys since they're gonna need all the help they can get with dealing with Abaddon and the fallen angels. FYI, still PISSED that Adam is still in the cage! I know that the brothers have a lot on their plate but COME ON! Is it remotely possible to resolve this loose end since Jake Abel is available? Ok, rant over. And before I forget, #SAVETHEBATCAVE
Flag
My only objection to this episode was bringing Crowley into their secret lair,i was like no don't take the risk to compromise the only safe place you have left,this is your place,no demons here.Skynet is gonna get you and who's gonna lead the resistance then?
Flag
Staff
But it wouldn't be Supernatural if we didn't give the Winchesters a nice thing just to watch them destroy it with stupidity!
Flag
I thought they would hold out a little longer in breaking out the deus ex machina that is 'Zeke, but as soon as it seemed apparent that the Winchesters were about to meet their doom (lol, whatever) I was going, "Super Sekrit Angel powers activate!"

I like Zeke and now that Dean has nick-named him, I expect everyone, angels included to start inexplicably calling him such, just like with Cas. Also, Sam feels good with Zeke inside him. That is all.

Well not quite all. I hope Tahmoh returns. I don't want Cas ending up as Zeke's suit or something in another needless sacrifice for Dean and Dean's love of Sam. I want Cas to stay de-angeled. The writers can't think of how to write for a powered angel and keep them on screen, so no nuclear bomb annihilation powers for Cas ever again.

The Cas can take care of himself speech by Dean. What even? It was all very butch, so bravo I guess. I don't think the Winchesters have ever been in danger of having their Man Cards revoked, so...How about people acting like normal human beings with normal emotions for once? Heaven and hell pissed at the littlest depowered former angel. Concern would be a natural response, as his death as a human might be final (lol, I know right). Eh.

Abbadon is gorgeous. She is doomed to failure, so I'm already bored with her judicious threats. "Where's Crowley? Tell me or I'm gonna wear you?" Isn't mind reading one of her powers?! She should have just ripped the Do Not Enter sign off his chest and possessed him. Done and Done.

I love Crowley and Mark Sheppard, but no way should the Winchesters team up with him to thrawt other evil. They can't be pals. He murdered the people they saved as leverage to get his hands on Kevin. He trapped Bobby's soul in hell. Give me a break.
More+
Flag
Staff
"Super Sekrit Angel powers activate!"

I just imagined Sam screaming this with the old school Power Rangers green screen background from the 90s. :D

Ditto regarding Abaddon's speeches, though. :/ JUST WEAR HIM ALREADY!
Flag
He's a fallen angel. His wings are going to be jacked up looking.
Flag
1)
"similar to why Adam is still in hell after four seasons"
Heck yes, I've been screaming about how stupid this is for year now.

2)
Kevin isn't going to die... We still have no idea what's on the angel tablet (Metatron obviously lied) and most likely to get rid of him, they'll need the "prophet" to do his work.

3)
Cas only said that Eezikiel is okay, but he never actually saw the guy. So most likely, that guy is someone else and is just lying.
That could explain the weird wings...

4)
Once *again* why does Abadon just toss Dean aside? Last time she just threw Sam instead of ripping out his neck.

5)
Sam and Dean's plan is to just randomly go and hunt demons?
Seriously? They are not even going to consider helping the angels out?
They are not even remotely contemplating on what is the fate of humans in heaven?
They aren't even remotely considering doing anything regarding the gates of hell?

Sorry, that's just dumb.

More+
Flag
^^this #3. That is an awesome theory!
Flag
Abbadon's wearing a beautiful redheaded model for a host but demands other demons possess soldiers because anything less isn't badass enough. The hypocrisy in that kind of annoyed me! If her sexy runway host is good enough for a knight of hell dot dot dot.
Flag
C'mon she totally pulls the sexy badass queen look in that body. And she wants demons that obey like soldiers, so I could see why she wanted them in vessels of actually soldiers. She about having style.
Flag
Hey, I am not saying Abbadon doesn't pull it off. I'm saying she does pull it off, and in light of that, it's lame that she thinks a bunch of Ken-doll soldiers are automatically superior recruits. (I also wouldn't mind casting choices for villainous henchmen that were more memorable than a row of featureless, disposable underwear models in camos and flak jackets.)
Flag
Here's hoping that Ezekiel does turn out to truly be a good guy. :) I'm liking him quite a bit so far.

As to what you said about Adam...I'm pretty sure he's locked up in the pit with Lucifer and Michael, not stuck in hell, which explains why the brothers haven't rescued him.
Flag
I really hope that Ezekiel is a good guy but watching this show since season 1 you never know and I can't fully tell yet whether he can be trusted
Flag
Yeah I don't really see them ever rescuing Adam. if that's how Sams sould was after a year in the pit imagine Adams by now. But it's a little odd they never ever even mention feeling bad about Adam.
Flag
Yea :( And sad, he is their brother after all.
Flag
I've been waiting for Adam to show up for a while now, hellbent on destroying his older brothers. I'd imagine he'd be beyond twisted by now, probably have gained some nifty Luci/Michael infused powers, and have the most personal of grudges. He wouldn't be distracted by trying to take over the globe or whatever splits up the other demon overlords attention, he'd just focus on effing up Sam, Dean, and possibly Cas (and any other allies). Maybe he can be the season 10 big bad.

Dear SPN Writers:

The idea is free. You're welcome.

--ChicN
Flag
Awesome episode aside - was it just me who thought it was wierd how cool Dean was with the hunter-chick driving his car?
Flag
Does anybody else find it kind of disturbing that Dean seems to not care at all about Cas right now? For all Dean preaches about family and loving Cas like a brother, he isn't interested at all about finding him and helping him now. I mean Cas is human and being hunted by a lot of the angels that fell and he also is on Hell's most wanted list and he's powerless. Yet Dean isn't concerned at all about finding him. "Cas is a big boy. Things go Breaking Bad, he knows our number." Really Dean? Heartless much?
Flag
Dean has never been one to talk about his feelings. "No chick flick moments"
Flag
Yeah, that sort of bothered me too, just sure, Cas can deal with it himself, no big. And certainly Cas has not been properly Singered for his human form.
Flag
There's that "singered" again. Love it!!! lol
Flag
You idjits need to realize that Singered is indeed a verb! Glad you are taking to it.
Flag
I would be upset, but it's just plot contrivance. They wanted to show Cas on his own for a bit and drag out the anticipation of the Dean and Cas reunion, despite it making no strategic or emotional sense. If they wanted to make it believable as to why Dean hasn't tossed his angel-infused brother in the Impala and peeled out in order to retrieve powerless, moneyless, hunted, FAMILY member, Cas; they should have had him Fall in another country not connected to the contiguous United States by land mass. Then Dean could be shown to be concerned, but the impracticality of retrieving him palatable, as the Winchesters got on with things that needed to be done.

Oh well. Dean can only express "soft, girly-type, feelings", such as love and concern, when he's having his face caved in or when he needs to manipulate someone with a quickness (poor, done for, Kevin).
Flag
i want zeke to be a good guy
maybe the angels falling and losing their powers doesn't happen as immediately but as a transition which i think is what cas says in the endverse how he overtime began human.
dean is getting to attached because he gave ezekiel a nickname
i still shouldn't be trusting him but i do
i love kevin's character developmenet
i really like how the season is going so far
Flag
Cas is human because Metatron took his grace, just like Anna originally lost hers.
The rest of the angels have all their stuff, they just can't go into heaven anymore.
Flag
I think Zeke might be a good guy...or at least I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt since last season I was all for Benny being a villian and betraying Dean somewhere down the line (which never happened).

As for Crowley, he's joining up Team Winchesters and might I add probably PERMANENTLY this time. I mean he was never particularly evil to begin with and was rather opportunistic. His mental state is probably just like Dean (beating himself up inside, while trying to appear nonchalant).
Flag
I think the Zeke is a good guy. He didn't wipe Sam's memory, just kept him unconscious. I thought it was pretty cool seeing Sam with some angel juice..even if the wings were a bit weak looking-imagine though how strong Zeke will be once he has healed. I also foresee that he might be a go between for the guys, like a mediator. He is alreayd trying to work on Dean with his "You did it for love" comments. I think that he could be someone the writers use to help the brothers get over their pasts. At least I hope so, kinda tired of them clinging on to things from years ago...esp Dean. I know its human to want to bury things and drink yourself numb but I want growth!!!
As for Crowley...My prediction is that he will be fighting alongside the Winchesters. Why? Because Abby is screwing with HIS hell. Crowley is not the type to let that happen. Remember when he partnered up with teh brothers against Satan? He did that because he knew he would not like the end result of Satan in charge again and he for sure is not going to like what Abby is doing-of course he also doesn't want to die which at this point is what Abby wants to do with him. Hoping there is some kind of Abby's demons versus Crowley's demons fight coming up. You know, old school vs. new age.
More+
Flag
Also I really wouldnt mind spending a little more well a lot more on Castiel's humanity. We'd probably get some awesome flashbacks out of him. My dream would be flashbacks of all that time spent with Meg aha. I truly love to see Castiel interact with people outside of Sam and Dean.
Flag
The wings are all Janky because they are burned, that's what the fire trails were when the Angels fell from Heaven.

Did anyone else catch the slight Teen Wolf reference when Dean talked about the "Siamese Twin" Werewolf?
Flag
It slipped my mind! ugh lol siamese twin werewolf.
Flag
That's two weeks in a row. First being, when Castiel killed Hale/Hael.
Flag
I definitely want the Ezekiel possession thing to be over, if only because it might mean some significant screen time for Tahmoh Penikett!
Flag
Abbadon has proven to be quite a worthy adversary. I really hope she'll be the Big Bad of Season 9 now that Crowley's been dethroned. Crowley was amazing as the Big Bad of Season 8, but I feel like establishing him as the Winchester's main adversary would be like beating a dead horse. Abbadon, on the other hand, is filled with potential. She's stronger than Crowley, and she appears to be stronger than even Lilith, Azazel, and Alistair, three A ranked demons. Season 8 pretty much wasted her just like season 6 did with Crowley, so I hope the season 9 story arc focuses on the Men of Letters with Abaddon as the Big Bad instead of Crowley, Metatron, or some random pissed off angel. Abbadon is a very smart demon... she can restore her destroyed body and she learns from her mistakes (Kevlar vest)

Speaking of Crowley, I don't know what his motivation is anymore. I figured getting all that good blood in the season finale would change his personality slightly... he wasn't fully cured, but I figured he'd be 80% purified and as a result much nicer than he used to be. But nope... he's back to being Classic Crowley, the master manipulator. It's as if the season finale never happened.

I'm really surprised Sam had yet another moment of "I freed Lucifer" guilt. I never really got why everyone blamed Sam on Luci's release in the first place. First off, it was DEAN who broke the first seal. He's the one who started the whole ordeal. And second, Lilith was a total monster. There was really no way you could beat her WITHOUT killing her. Castiel said that killing her in itself would break the seal, so assuming Sam didn't use his psychic powers and just stabbed Lilith with the demon knife, that still would've done it! Also, Sam had said that he pretty much got absolved of any guilt by personally getting his soul charbroiled by Lucifer himself in the cage for over 100 Hell years. Compared to Sam's Hell, Dean's 40 year torment seems just like getting slapped on the wrist. Sam should've moved on completely by now.

Please don't kill Kevin! He's one of the few things I liked about season 7, and he knows how to hold his own against low-level demons now. (though he'd only last a second against Abaddon.) Bobby's gone and Garth only made one appearance last season, so the boys need a guy they can count on for information, and Kevin is it.
More+
Flag
I might be hazy. I only watched the ep that introduced her once, BUT Abbadon can. read. minds. She could have ripped the tat off if that was even an impediment, invaded his mind, then left him and kept her pretty meat suit.

I'm glad to have the actress back and all, but FAIL. Complete fail.
Flag
Yeah she seems to have badass potential but I want to see it. I mean at first you're just happy to see her, but then it's like what was the point if they have her asking questions like she's the average demon.
I mean she set the trap, I expect to see her cross legged sitting on a table waiting for Dean and Sam to walk through the door.

Flag
Somehow Crowely never seemed like big bad material, even from the start. So I agree with you about Abaddon. I'm also curious if they'll go into more detail about Abaddon, who was supposedly another fallen angel where lilith in "history" was a human. So maybe that could be why Abaddon is more powerful, or maybe she isn't and just has a more show off style because she needs to show off her power and get respect back from the demons.

And yeah I pretty much agreed with you on Sams guilt with freeing Lucifer too. And how somehow Dean never gets any flack, Sam was doing what he though and what there was no way around being done. Dean broke in hell and started torturing souls and admitted to he got a kick out of it. Yet Dean always get to question Sams intentions.
Flag
Oh, and theories on Crowley: He clearly wanted Kevin to beat him up to get him back to "evil demon"-mode, rather than not-so-evil EMO-mode. ;)
But what was up with the demon names? Did Kevin actually do something that GOT to him when we (i.e. the cameras) were busy elsewhere?
Is he hoping to lull the boys into a false sense of security?
Is he weeding the ranks?
Or is there some other game afoot here?
Can't wait to see!

Flag
I LIKE Ezekiel, I'm just afraid to let myself TRUST him.
Yes, Cas "vouched" for him, saying - if I remember correctly - that he's a "good soldier". But that can mean a lot of things, in angel-speak...
Does it mean he's good at following orders from topside (which is no more)? Does it mean he doesn't know what to do BESIDES fight, like a lot of the warrior angels? What EXACTLY does this translate to in terms of wearing Sam as a meatsuit? I'm afraid to ask...

I agree that Jensen deserves to get his evil on again - Sam gets all the delightfully psychotic and eeeeebil moments, Dean just gets to angst or grit his teeth and be badass (as in torturing Alistair - part of him WANTED to, but he came across as reluctant, not evil). So HELL YEAH (pun intended) to more EBIL!Dean!

Also - GO KEVIN! From taking on the female officer who sounded like she was going to chew him up and spit him out and WINNING (and having the Winchesters witness it) to going a round with Crowley and not falling for ALL his crap (just some of it), he really had a great episode. And Dean, finally acknowledging him as family was just sweet!
(Because face it, they've kind of been treating him like crap. But then they've been protecting and defending him from outsiders - which is more or less what family does, right?)
More+
Flag
Heh, Kevin Solo...SIngered! Yeah, I am still trying...
Flag
I'm actually very much liking this Ezekiel story, and I really hope that Zeke genuinely is a good guy, cuz, wow, that would just be so refreshing.
Flag
Do I even have to say it? ABADDEAN!!!
Flag
I might be one of few to be against it,because then there would be no more Alaina Huffman. Same as goes for Meg(Rachel MIner)
Flag
Alaina Huffman is such as BAMF. So glad they resurrected her meat suit.
Flag
Great follow up episode, I agree wholeheartedly. It was just back to what Supernatural does best. A great, strong, awesome bad guy vs the brothers. Abby is awesome, if it wasn't that she is going against the brothers I would be on team Abby. Also, fantastic chemistry between her and Dean. Just as good, if not better than between him and Meg.

Sam and Zeke, I think Zeke's wings are like that because he "fell" from heaven, I would imagine that all of the angel's wings are like that. I trust Zeke and Jared is fantastic in the role. I find it funny that Sam/jared gets all of the juicy acting roles. Dean is a fantastic character but I agree that Jensen should be given some more roles to chew on.

The only issue I had and this likely is stemming from being an Army brat. Private First Class Bates, not Sergeant Bates. Get your rank insignias right. Come on guys, you're better than that.

Oh and another thing. I am not sure what they are going to do with Crowley, but I hope that it isn't much. I think the character has run its course. He just doesn't provide anything fun for me anymore. It all just seems like they are rehashing the same old stuff with him. I wouldn't mind if they kept him in the room and only checked on him from time to time. But they need to get him out of the Batcave before something bad happens to it.
More+
Flag
Even though bringing back Alaina Huffman is cool because she's all kinds of evil/sexy, is she the first to lose her meatsuit and then return in the same one? Does Abbadon have the power to remake a vessel into whatever it wants it to look like?
Flag
Awsome episode. If Abaddon killed "hunter" Tracy,I would officially start rooting for her. And super glad,Abaddon is in her old "meatsuit",but she is sexier with her hair shorter.

I also had problem,when they took over army guys for possession. Maybe older ladys is little risky,given that you never know,how long they migth have(oh snap,no I didn't....),but they could possess anyone. Also against kids,because those can't act,but meeting somewhere in the middle and possessing normal people.

Crowley in a Batcave...bye,bye Batcave :( Also Ezekiel is there,so it really is only a matter of time. Hopefully they can squeze as much Men of Letters as possible out of it. Stupid Moose and Squirel...
Flag
Kevin is growing into Bobby's old job, holding down the bunker and providing "research" for the hunters and covering their alias'. Those are big shoes to fill but Kevin is learning to be a man. I think he should have chosen Skywalker instead of Solo. Dean and Sam are hunting again and Crowley got what he deserved from Kevin no less. Abaddon is back and Zeke is still keeping Sam in the dark but safe. A great start to another season of angst, guilt, revenge, and hope. Fallen angels, a hostile takeover in hell, Sam possessed by an angel, Castiel learning what it is like to be human, sounds like another great season of Supernatural.
Flag
I always love all of the Star Wars references sprinkled throughout SPN episodes!!
Flag
Well said. I concur.
Flag
You didn't mention the Crowley line put the S-A-M in S & M??!! I was laughing so hard on that & believe me it hurt cuz I have broncho-faryngitis at the moment!!

The episode was everything we talked about last week, Kevin & bunker, check, Crowley check & Abbadon check.

Kevin dealing with the military cop was pure gold, now all the have to do is put up phones like Bobby for FBI, CIA & etc to help the boys properly. Crowley stewing in his juices showed that humanity has "tainted" him as he would say. I think he's cooperating cause he's afraid of what that will do to him & not because Kevin tortured him. I hope they explore that. And about Kevin's mom, Dean believes she's a meat suit now, that's why he said she is dead in the way that matters, not because he doesn't care about her.

Abbadon got her body back by Voldermorting is as someone mentioned because she is a Knight of Hell, which I think we'll learn more about & there are more of them I'm sure.

I like the Cas & Ezekiel theories mentioned below & hope Ezekiel gets Tahmoh back as vessel. Also Kevin mentioned that the bunker went crazy but nobody is wondering about it? Come on. The Men of Letters had more than just books, let's find out why.

About the Adam thing, he's in the cage with Lucifer & Michael, who says they can free him, and most importantly without freeing the others too? Freeing Adam & defeating Lucifer & Michael sounds like a series ending to me, as is the Winchesters meeting God
More+
Flag
Crowly cracks me up...
Flag
"OMG Sam with wings. UM. UH. I'll be in my bunk. "

They did that on The Fades last year.
Flag
This is probably stupid, but the end scene where Sam was saying how happy he was seemed a little un-Sam-like. He was ready to die literally last episode and now he's all happy and content? I kept wondering if it was Zeke pretending to be Sam. Probably not, but it was weird.
Flag
Yeah I thought it was like headclub said, that Sam was feeling good because he had the angel vibe going on inside, giving him a boost. Because it did seem strange that he felt so good suddenly & I attributed that to the angel anti-depressant.
Flag
I agree with you. I felt like it was something about the grace and strength of an angel just gives you a natural high.
Flag
Yeah, I interpreted it as him feeling that way because of Zeke possessing him. Not that Zeke said it, but that some of Zeke's bright and happy attitude leaking into him a little. Wow, that sentence came out really weird :P
Flag
I like that theory, but I'm leaning towards Zeke being a good guy, and Sam feeling good cuz of his "angel pacemaker." Consider it like he's on a really good anti-depressant, but doesn't know it! When he finds out though, it may be him, and not Zeke who doesn't want to sever the relationship. Ala demon blood, or soulless sam, but without the negative side effects....
Flag
Makes sense and seems more likely :)
Flag
Staff
It WAS weird! I didn't consider that it could have been Zeke saying it, but that actually makes a lot of sense. Like you said, Sam was literally ready to die last week. It was quite a jump. Now I kind of hope it was Ezekiel!
Flag

"...pop out like glow-in-the-dark defense mechanisms when the going gets tough". I laughed harder than I should have at this lol

Flag
I didn't know how to feel after the season premiere, but I was very happy with this episode. I also wondered whether Zeke was just pretending to be Sam, and God, I really hope not. I really want Zeke to be a good guy.
Flag
I'd love to see an AbbadonDean happen. And something most definitely is up with Zeke (because when is something not up with a brand new and "helpful" character?) and I really hope that he's not quite as good as he says (maybe he's hunting Cas and using Sam to stay close?) or that he's Luci because I miss Luci. PLUS that would mean that Luci finally got to posses Sam which, let's face it, would be really sad and awesome at the same time. But what if Zeke really hasn't let Sam take over his body again? What if Zeke is pretending to be Sam? (This is the first season I've watched live so pardon all of my crazy fangirling because feels.)
Flag
Staff
Feels! I have so many feels too. It's okay.

After this week, I got thinking about the Sam/Ezekiel situation and I can almost maybe see something along those lines-- of Ezekiel never really giving Sam's control back. BUT, with Cas vouching for him and just the way he didn't really understand Dean's alarm after he ganked all the demons, what if it goes this way:

Ezekiel genuinely wants to do right by Sam and Dean and protect Sam, but he realizes that Sam is constantly flinging himself into danger because that's just the nature of hunting. So he takes it upon himself to always be in control of Sam's body, but not because he's evil, but because he thinks he's being helpful. Idk. Could be a more interesting angle than straight-up "bad guy" territory. Although I could also live with Luci, because it's Luci.
Flag
Ohh that's an interesting idea! I think I like that one more than mine..Straight up bad guy can be fun (Crowley :D) but good motivations that lead to "bad" behavior are complicated and make for great stories. Love this show...
Flag
Found myself pleasantly surprised with this episode. Really like Abbadon - and reeeeeaaaaally hope that possession was foreshadowing. My only issue is that the writers seem to have exhausted their supply of pop culture references that make sense for Dean to make. A Hunger Games reference from Dean? Really? Let's go back to Star Wars and Nicholson. Other than that, I liked it!
Flag
Yeah, seemed strange to me too, hearing Dean acknowledge Katniss, dunno why...
Flag
I miss the Dean who didn't know what MySpace was.
Flag
I also loved the way Abby Voldemorted herself back to her 50's body. At least the demon didn't have to cut off his hand...
Flag
Holy crap, Maryann....I'll be in my bunk....thank you girl, that was completely hilarious. Excellent review.
Flag
Staff
Thaaaaanks!
Flag
I actually preferred this to the premiere - instead of pissed off angels being kinda directionless, we have a demon with a plan to take over hell (which I'll take for a while, instead of filler episodes, until the season arc is established)
I also liked the fact that they are not really dwelling on Zeke fixing Same too much - they already covered this when Sam was seeing Lucifer everywhere -, giving his "possession" a subtler approach is a good idea. I'm guessing he will find out and there will be fallout over it, but after previous seasons of angsty Winchester relationship interactions, there doesnt really need to be too much time devoted to it - its not going to cover any really new territory.

Couple of things -

At first glance I thought lady hunter was going to be an angel - she has the legs for!

Dumb Winchester sighting = your hands are not adequate protection against poison Dean.
And I am now terrified that there is a poison that automatically targets male genitalia!
More+
Flag
Typical Dean. That was so HLARIOUS! And then the look that Sam gave him. I LOVE this show!
Flag
Ezekiel's wings were like that because all the angels had their wings clipped and were cast down. We see as they're falling their wings aflame, and the title card this season is charred angel wings.
Flag
But do you think him healing in Sam mean he could be healing his clipped wings? Because Sam is such a powerful vessel, maybe he Zeke won't be able to get back in to heaven but still be healed to his full potential even more than the Angels that didn't get hurt in the fall but still have their wings clipped.
Flag
Excellent point
Flag
Staff
Ahhh ok. That makes sense. I didn't realize the clipping was LITERAL. Lol.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members