We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

Supernatural S09E05: "Dog Dean Afternoon"

Okay, so that was actually really great. 

I was worried. Supernatural's crazier installments tend to go one of two ways. They're either amazeballs and among the series' most entertaining and genuinely good episodes ("Mystery Spot," "Changing Channels," "Everybody Hates Hitler"), or they're really, really not ("Season Seven, Time for an Abomination," that WTF one from last season with the dog-witch-slave lady and the weird racist undertones). "Dog Dean Afternoon," even with its sort of awkward animal voiceovers and Sam Winchester being the actual dumbest angel condom, falls into the "good" pile, and it's pretty much all Jensen Ackles' fault. 

Ackles hasn't been given much to do in recent seasons outside of playing sad, self-righteous, alcoholic Dean; but the Dean that we saw in "Dog Dean Afternoon" was a nice throwback to vintage Dean, when he was a total goober and actually seemed to enjoy hunting from time to time. (Missed u.)

The case itself was pretty straightforward. Chef Leo had the cancer and discovered that various animal organs in magical combos seasoned with just the right amount of spellwork temporarily cured him—or at least held the worst of his illness at bay. Maybe Chef Leo was always a douche. Maybe his douchiness was actually the result of OD-ing on animal guts and taking on some of their more anti-social traits. But Chef Leo was a douche nonetheless, and after watching Sam-zekiel cure a slit throat on the spot, decided he was going to eat whatever Sam was and live forever. Sam's magical angel mojo is really starting to become more of a liability than a benefit, isn't it?

Like the best of Supernatural's batshit crazy comedy episodes, there was, of course, an underlying current of angst and uh-oh running just beneath that-time-Dean-pulled-a-gun-on-a-pigeon and that-time-Dean-made-sexy-eyes-at-a-poodle, mostly due to the Sam-zekiel situation. Sam is good for generating angst on a massive scale. Dean went from wholeheartedly backing Ezekiel's heal-Sam-from-within plan to kind of regretting it fairly quickly. While Ezekiel hasn't—to our knowledge—done anything too questionable yet, he's just starting to come off as someone who isn't being entirely honest about who he is. Making Dean ditch Castiel raised some serious red flags, especially since those two were supposed to be pals. Cas vouched for Ezekiel. I could honestly see him being kind of okay with the don't-tell-Sam game plan, or at the very least, reluctantly understanding of it, considering the alternative, unless Ezekiel isn't Ezekiel or something. 

The question of how much of Chef Leo's villainous nature was genuinely his, as opposed to a side effect of his magical mayhem, paralleled Sam's own predicament with Ezekiel. Ezekiel has shown that he has absolutely no qualms about popping into the Sam-mobile's driver's seat whenever it suits him, and while the shifts in character have been obvious so far, what happens when/if Ezekiel gets good enough to do it undetected? What happens when the line between Ezekiel and Sam gets so blurred that not even Dean can tell the difference? 

You can tell that Dean's already thinking it, and his eagerness to get Sam well enough that he doesn't need his angelic pacemaker anymore is so obvious that it's a wonder Sam hasn't picked up on it, which in turn raises another concern: Is Ezekiel even healing Sam? You know, like really healing him, of the trials damage? I guess he probably is, but how will Sam and Dean know when it's safe to kick him to the curb? It's becoming increasingly clear that Ezekiel isn't the type of angel who's going to say "My work here is done!" and WOOSH off to the next available vessel. Given what we've seen of the angel-vessel situation, there's a decent chance that there isn't a next available vessel. 

For a goofy episode about Dean talking to the animals, there was actually quite a bit of srs bsns to chew on in "Dog Dean Afternoon." Srs bsns, Jensen Ackles playing fetch, and that sassy little dog extorting Sam for a belly rub somehow combined in a glorious way to make what looked like an unlikely winner (an underdog, would you say?) into an unquestionable champion of the season so far. I'm sorry I doubted you, Supernatural. Here are some delicious Scooby Snax. Good doggie. Sit. Roll-over. Now play dead. 

K. Done. Bye. 

CASE NOTES

– Dumb Winchester Sighting: No, seriously, Sam. You heard Chef Leo ask you "what" you are and you woke up covered with blood. COVERED. WITH. BLOOD. Remember last time you woke up covered with blood and sporting a patchy memory? Why was that? OH. OH YEAH. BECAUSE YOU WERE POSSESSED. I really need Sam to stop being dense. It's starting to hurt my soul. 

– Also, hasn't Sam almost died, like, three times in five episodes? With a record like that, he's lucky he made it to puberty. 

– Favorite Dean-as-a-dog moment? I liked fetch. I also laughed at the car-rant. "You think we'd like that?" And pulling a gun on the pigeon. Don't mess with Baby! 

– I'm not sure how I feel about the pack of pound puppies eating Chef Leo. Also, I understand the point of Dean letting all the dogs free at the shelter, but my initial thought was, "Now they're all going to get heartworms and die," because clearly I don't understand freedom I guess. BUT HEARTWORMS. 

– Every time a dog barked on the TV, my Stella would stampede out of the bedroom and come growl at the TV. It really amused me. IDK. 

– AWW, Sam got to play with a potion. Yay. 

– The flashbacks leading into this episode were from all over the place. I'm not entirely sure why Becky and Chuck were in them, either. 

– "Witches or hippies?" "What's the difference?"

What'd you think of "Dog Dean Afternoon"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2016

Season 11 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/4/2016

Season 11 : Episode 20

150 Comments
Comments (150)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Oh my gosh when Dean was playing fetch and did the puppy dog eyes I almost lost it. It just melted my heart!
Flag
excellent review and I just worried that the pound puppies/dogs would get hit by cars and that after they ate the chef they would be put to sleep if captured....
I wasn't impressed with the voice overs but I loved the humor in this episode. I keep liking/loving Dean more and more (whereas Sam seems to get stupider but still lovable).
Flag
Am I the only one who noticed the small Breaking Bad references? the 'bitch' comment to the dog, the cancer guy, the drugs in his drawer then the actual comment from Jesse in the first ever ep of BB 'you just decide to break bad?' kind of a nice homage!! i thought this was one of the funniest episodes of supernatural to date, made great use of the comic timing from Jensen Ackles plus it felt like we were getting back to basics with the new monster. I really wanted them to keep that lovely dog though! i thot they might as they seem to be creating a weird kind of family unit. even crowley lives at the men of letters house! pity cas isn't there but i also quite like ezekiel. im just hoping he has good intentions and isn't merely using sam as he is likely to be an extremely strong vessel for him. it's a case of, when the time comes, will he leave sam? i think there might be a fight there. highlights of tonight were dean hanging his head out of the window, sam holding up the stuffed rat thing, 'hey, you! hey...you!!' (makes you wonder if that's what dogs are shouting at the mail man) and the many, many talented voice actors who made me laugh! the main dog sounded a bit like jack nicholson i thought! :)
More+
Flag
I noticed it also....they have referenced Breaking Bad and GoT~~they have good taste
Flag
Good writers paying homage to good writers eh! Nice compliment!! :)
Flag
Dean looking out the window and yelling "Hey!" at the mailman was my highlight. I actually sat there laughing so hard my kids came out to ask me what I was watching. Where can I get a dog that looks like Dean? Hmmm....
Flag
Yeah, Dean pulling his gun on a pigeon was priceless.

I hope Ezekiel doesn't turn out to be evil. Heaven knows we've had WAY too many bad/morally ambiguous angels over the seasons since Season 4. How 'bout some genuinely nice angels (like Cas) for a change, yeah writers?
Flag
I'm starting to wonder if either Naomi isn't really dead, and Ezekiel is Naomi ..or Ezekiel is Metatron maybe? Using Sam as a vessel. Sam is a great vessel, Lucifer even used him. I think he didn't want Cas around because he was afraid Cas would figure out who he really was. Just an idea.
Flag
We are ALL lucky Sam made it to puberty!
Flag
Zzzzzz FILLER EPISODE. And that's 2 episodes in a row I've not really been impressed with!

Dean behaving as a dog in the beginning was the only highlight though.
Flag

just read your post properly and realised that you may be agreeing with me. lol
Flag
JasonMelvil, dunno if the first part of your post was in response to me. Just a random thought I had. Cas still has angel radio and who knows what else may arise. My thought was that if whomever it may be knew Cas would be asked for credibility/reference and gave a name Cas would know and OK for the brothers, it may help him/her get by. Might also explain the reason for Cas being banished from the batcave. To the outside observer, we'd have no way of telling which angel was actually in there.
Flag
Cas vouched for Ezekiel
Cas was on the phone. He never saw the guy. Clearly that is not ezekiel.
He did meet possessed Sam, but who knows if Cas has anything angelic left.

Overall the episode was okish. I personally usually like the dean episodes better than the Sam ones (especially last season with the whole moronic love story) but this one was just... The idea was at first nice (the fetch part was great) but it just got downright silly.

Here's a question why don't the winchesters cast these type of spells more often? Heck, you'd think the ability to speaking to animals might come in handy.

But it's okay, I've done questioning that sort of stuff a long time ago.

I'm hoping the intro means we're going to deal with the return of "god" at last. It's just too dumbfounding that we know he exists and he hasn't done anything for the past 4 years.
Flag
funniest part was dean screaming at the mail man, i died.
Flag
I guess I'll be that grumpy not-so-old guy and say that it was at most passable in my book. Yes, there were quite a few funny moments, but in the end it hasn't all smoothly coalesced to offer the kind of greatness that some of the old Supernatural's meta/cheesy episodes had been known for. It felt like a far cry in comparison.

The "Then" sequence especially had me baffled. Usually (always?) the scenes they show have some meaning to what we're about to see, and there are numerous tie-ins to be found. This time? Hardly anything. They even showed Chuck (which gave me hope) and Becky (which filled me with despair). The rest of the scenes were quite a mish-mash, as if the producres were trying to go out of their way and tell us: "Heeeey, loooook! We're dooooing a fuuun silly episode for you again!!"

Jensen Ackles's comedic timing was, as always, priceless. So there is that. The argument with the pigeon was especially amusing. As for the animals... I felt like it was kind of a hit and miss. Some characterizations and voices worked, some didn't. The Colonel dog... not so. They tried to go for the gruff approach here, and I just couldn't buy into it. In fact all I could think about was that their dog actor was in dire need of lessons from Bear of Person of Interest fame.
The monster of the week was a somewhat fresh take on things, even if I didn't find him very compelling. At least it gave Winchesters the opportunity to work a spell - I like when they do that.

I'm so freaking tired of Ezekiel and his overdone and overused angel-voodoo by now. Why, writers, whyyyyyy? It can completely ruin an entire episode for me. Such a cheap and unimaginative way to resolve plots, and this show needs not sink to the bottomless pit of Season 7's awfulness. The repetitiveness here is beyond obvious:
Episode nr 1 - Ezekiel melds with Sam and brings Sam from the verge of death.
Episode nr 2 - Ezekiel saves Sam (and Dean, most likely) from certain death (or worse) at the hand of demons.
Episode nr 3 - Ezekiel brings Castiel back to life, and also finds him first.
Episode nr 4 - Ezekiel saves Charlie.
Episode nr 5 - Ezekiel heals Sam once again.
So. Goddamn. Tiresome. It paints Sam and Dean as terribly incompetent, and near useless in fact. How on earth did they manage to survive on their own for so long? Or their friends? The amount of super healing and full or near resurrections this season has already been beyond ludicrous (how many previous seasons would we need to throw together to even come close to that?), and we're barely done with quarter of episodes. I dread to think what will happen by midseason. Ezekiel better single-handedly save the world, or else.

I'm also hating on the crew for talking about Kevin but not showing Kevin. Yet again. Another cheap copout.

And then there was also that heavy-handed Dean's monologue at the end, where it felt like the writers were trying to go out of their way to make it as foreshadowing as possible. You know, the Ezekiel-will-turn-somewhat-bad-and-will-be-very-reluctant-to-leave-Sam's-body. I'm already dreading them taking the most predictable path with that.

So... meh. I had high hopes after the season premiere, and the second episode was still fairly promising. But since then I feel like it's been all going downhill, and horrible handling of Ezekiel's persona and his super powers (as well as neglecting Cas and Kevin) is the main issue here. They completely mishandled it, and now it just keeps backfiring. The sooner this stupidity is resolved, the better. I just fear they may try to prolong it all the way until midseason break. So in the meantime I'll brace myself for upcoming resurrections of Dean and Kevin at the hands of Ezekiel (throw Garth in too once we start running out of characters) and numerous regeneration stunts for Sam. Sigh.
More+
Flag
When the chef went into the pound for some munchies and it cut to the worker and you heard all the cats going apeshit, I knew he was eating them and poor kitty I shouted "YOU BASTARD!" Just cause that kitty wanted a home with a roof and 4 walls, not that dudes frigging stomach !
Flag
I agree with you, Rachel. I am a cat person (although I like dogs and other animals, too). I hated,hated,hated the kitty being eaten. Our cats were mesmerized by the episode, until that happened. Then they all left room in tears. Or they should have!
Flag
Haha, its would have been funny if the cat clawed him up from the inside out :3.
Flag
Yeah, that would have been neat.
Flag
I'm not a dog or any kind of animal person really, but Dean sold it this episode. I LOL'd at the subtler comedy rather than the overt ones. I do agree that sensible Sam needs to return ASAP.
Flag
Jensen really keeps this series alive. And yeah, pigeons are douchebags.
Flag
This felt like the Supernatural days of old. I really enjoyed it.

My favorite things about this episode was:
1, Dean playing fetch. The first time I giggled, then I realized what was going on... brilliant.
2, “Dennis DeYoung’s not a punk. He’s Mr. Roboto, bitch.” This was so funny, I could barely breathe.
3, “Hey, dick move, pigeon!” And then Dean PULLED HIS GUN on a bird. I had to pause the tv.

All in all, I am surprised that Sam hasn't figured things out, and I also wonder if Zeke is indeed Zeke. Excited for more Cas!
Flag
I guess what bugs me is this idea that there have to be stand-alone eps devoted to comedy now. In my opinion, successful dramas - specifically some of the more successful eps of this show - find a harmonic balance of wonderfully acted dramatic moments and laugh-out-loud one liners and banter between characters with palpable chemistry. An entire episode based around getting laughs is called a sitcom. Life has both. I appreciate both, and it honestly cheapens an episode of this show for me to go in knowing, well, here's the token "funny" one. Maybe that's just me, though.
Flag
Loved the shout out to season 5 when they boys pulled out their badges and introduced themselves as Agents De'ville and Michaels.
But the parts that had me rolling on the floor was Dean shouting "you, you" at the postman, and sticking his head out the car window while they were driving.
Flag
Just an outside chance but maybe Zeke isn't Zeke. If I told you my name was Jeff (it isn't btw) then you'd have no choice but to go with it. Could be another angel (past villain, Metatron?) giving another name because he knew they would check in with Cas (and that Cas still had some power and would see the 'real' him). Not as if Angel's carry ID. lol
Flag
The flashbacks made little sense, I agree
Flag
Yeah, it was almost like they were saying, "REMEMBER, THIS SHOW IS FUNNY SOMETIMES. REMEMBER?" Like, we wouldn't get this episode was meant to be humorous otherwise. Which is silly, because the episode was funny, and it stood on its own.
Flag
Yeah that's a good way of putting it :)
Flag
The ep was ok however that killing of the cat was not fun too watch!
Flag
And what if Ezekiel has cured Sam but doesn't tell Dean. I am sure there is something wrong with Ezekiel!! He can't have chosen Sam out of the goodness of his heart!! Remember when Lucifer's vessels didn't work and he wanted Sam. There is not a chance Ezekiel just chose Sam. Maybe, he wants him because he is a strong vessel and he wants to dominate in Heaven. Still how long will it take Sam to understand that something is wrong and demand explanations??? And what was wrong with the previous scenes?? For a moment I thought they had a previous episode one.
Flag
I'd like to think that one of the reasons Sam didn't push the issue of his blackouts was because of Dean's behavior. I mean, if Sam knew that Dean was acting strangely or even outright lying, and has been for a while, maybe Sam just decided to figure it out on his own. As for Dean, I'm glad that we can see how much the lying bothers him, in fact how uncomfortable he seems to be with the situation now. I think the only reason he hasn't spilled is that he honestly thinks Sam would reject Zeke on the spot and then would die.

On that note, if Sam dies with Zeke in him does Zeke die too then?

Maybe the reason they didn't let Sam die and revive him on the spot was because Sam said in his conversation with Death that when he dies, he wants it to be for good, as in permanent.

I think the writers have done a good job creating that tension for the audience about Zeke. They have him doing enough good to make him helpful and in cases necessary, and leave enough unsaid to make us super suspicious of him. Also, getting rid of Cas.

I really, really hope that they showed Chuck in the 'previously on' and mentioned Carver Edlund in the last episode because they're bringing him back. Or Becky, or something in that vein. All my fingers crossed.
More+
Flag
The reason Zeke told Dead to ditch Cas was because just about every angel out there is looking for him and they don't plan on throwing him a parade when they get a hold of him-remember what happened last time an angel found Cas? He ended up with an angel sword sized hole in his gut. Zeke made it very clear that having Cas around would put them all at risk of being found and he could not defend against his fellow angels until he was healed. It made sense that Cas had to go. I'm sure that if Cas stuck around he would probably figure out that Zeke was possessing Sam and screw that up for them-although without his Grace maybe he couldn't but any other Angel probably could.
I am a little hesitant to trust Zeke 100%, especially with a vessel shortage going on but it is possible that Dean will have to spend an episode or two helping Zeke find a new vessel.
This episode was pretty funny. I pretty much lowered my expectations and just sat back and enjoyed Dean acting like a dog. It was pretty cool too to see Sam yucking it up. LOVED the pigeon thing and I thought that it was fitting that the dogs took out the bad guy. I will admit though, I am wondering what the real reason is for dogs being put here LOL. Leave it to this show to make me want to know what the damned dog was going to say!!
More+
Flag
I love love LOVE Supernatural. All episodes even the goofy ones.
But let's be honnest here: this episode sucked.
All the Dean/Dog things felt quite old. Too bad because the "monster of the week" was kind of fun (the idea i mean).
Flag
I laughed through out this whole episode...Dean was awesome in this one.
Loved the scene with the mailman...HEY YOU YOU YOU hahahahahaaha.
Fetching, liking a female dog...and so on...just really funny.
I wonder what will happen, when Sam will finally figure out what the creepy Chef told said to him...What are you? Can't be good.
Flag
I could not stop laughing at Dean arguing with the pigeon. It just hit my funny bone and I was chuckling for the entire rest of the episode.

Plus I want to know the conspiracy that the dog was going to tell Dean.

Funny episode.
Flag
Funniest episode for a long time! It took me embarrassingly long time to figure out that Dean was playing fetch... Something that made me laugh: Dean pulling a gun on that pigeon!

Just an overall great episode, even though it was a stand alone episode. (I like that the Sam-Ezekiel story was part of it. Btw, I really like that story arc!)
Flag
Ezekiel is really intriguing. I guess that they may keep us guessing about his intentions for most of the season.
Flag
Funniest episode in a long time! It took me embarrassingly long time to figure out that Dean was playing fetch... Something that made me laugh: Dean pulling a gun on that pigeon!

Just an overall great episode, even though it was a stand alone episode. (I like that the Sam-Ezekiel story was part of it. Btw, I really like that story arc!)
Flag
This episode was so so funny! Thanks again for another awesome review MaryAnn!
Flag
I LOVED this episode!!! It's now part of one of my favorite in the supernatural craziness (mystery spot being no.1!).
I Laughed so hard when Dean starts yelling HEY HEY HEY at the mail man.
I do agree tho that Sam is being very dense. In previous seasons, he was always hard to kill, or even hurt, now all of a sudden he has an angel inside him, and he's an easy target? i hope Zeke isn't a bad "guy". And what's with kicking poor Cas to the curb like that? It totally hurt Dean to have to tell him to go, I hope we find out soon....
Flag
Sam may have brain damage from being knocked out all of the time.
Flag
What breed is Stella?
Flag
Staff
We're actually not entirely sure. We got her from a shelter when she was a year old and they told us she was a German Shepherd mix, and that's what her papers say, but she's so little and IDK.

30 lbs of fierce:

Flag
Heh, the vet who rescued my CJ told me she was a German Shepherd/Doberman mix. She topped out at 18 pounds. Wrong much?

Stella looks like half-GS, but mixed with something smaller and thinner. A terrier, maybe beagle.
Flag
Staff
18lbs awww!

Yeah, we were thinking beagle too. Or terrier.
Flag
She has a pretty typical german shepard face and body type, though if she's full grown and only at 30 pounds she's smaller than a typical shepard, those ears, the coat and the reduced size and muzzle length makes me think maybe there's some pit bull (their ears are often docked but when just left alone they look much like that). I have a friend that's dog looks much like that but it's more muscular, it's a pit bull golden retriever cross and I'm a part of this dog training club so I see alot of dogs. But it could be any number of things, there's dozens of obscure breeds and you can never anticipate how genetics will even out, they can be so random sometimes. For example my dog is a pyrenees, shepard, malamute cross and he's got shorter hair than any of those breeds and he's almost completely black while all of his siblings are a variety of brown shades. Whatever it is it's a very nice looking dog. :)
Flag
Staff
Awww. I loves the doggehs. The genetic roulette can be a lot of fun sometimes. We thought there might be some pit bull in her. Her "cousin," Fitz, is an Alaskan ridgeback/pitbull mix and they actually look pretty similar. He's just twice her size.
Flag
Just saw the episode online (couldn't watch it on tv last night) and loved it. Really funny and I loved the guest stars they have. The one who did the voice of the dog that wanted tummy rubs from Sam was just on "American Horror Story Coven" so he's a pretty busy little guy theses days and pretty much gold in everything he's in (including his occasional guest shots on "American Dad" as the hair dresser who rides a dog). :) All and all good stuff but the bit at the end were Dean was supposed to be talking about the chef but was really talking about his unvoiced concerns about the thing with Sam and Zeke was probably one of the best parts if not THE best part.
Flag
nothing beats dean looking at a little kitten and screaming aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah that was scary (epic dean moment)
Flag
How about Dean running away from a poodle?
Flag

Flag
This scene right here will come back and haunt him when he wins his first Oscar, lol.
Flag
Fetch was okay, but I rolled my eyes and groaned at the mail man out the window bit.
Flag
Staff
You know, I groaned at it in the promo, but for some reason, in the actual episode, it made me laugh. I don't get it.
Flag
Context most likely. :) In context it IS pretty funny.
Flag
I just started watching this show two weeks ago. I have no idea what's going on... but I like it! lol
Flag
Staff
It's okay, even with nine seasons under my belt, I occasionally have that thought as well!
Flag
I loved all the bizzarness flashbacks of the previous seasons. I loved this episode and actually enjoyed the dog companion. Would've been nice if they took the dog with him as he could be handy in some situations, but they were right about it being too dangerous. Lol, maybe we get to see the dog return like the other human characters? Didn't really care about the villain and was glad to see the other dogs that were freed return the favor to Dean by mauling the guy to death. This was a very good episode and a nice escape from the typical doom and gloom stuff. Definitely going to be interesting to see when Sam figures it out about Zeke especially after he was healed there. It does make me question why Zeke didn't just 'zap' the guy after healing Sam, maybe he's losing his powers? I can't imagine zeke would just take over to heal Sam while the threat is still there ready to slash him again.
Flag
Staff
Yeeeah, possible tactical error on Zeke's part. I'd have to watch the scene again, but it seemed like, to me, that Zeke maybe didn't have enough energy to heal Sam, wipe his memory, AND take care of the baddie? In the beginning of the episode, Dean kind of made it sound like Sam/Zeke was really wiped out after the Wicked Witch stuff. And he HAS been using his powers a lot lately. So I just assumed Zeke was too weak.
Flag
True. It slipped my mind there about how much energy he used to bring Charlie back. I would've figured he'd have done more than just cure Sam and let go given the threat is still there. At least if that's the case, it builds on the previous episode than to continue and forget about the previous week's events.
Flag
Well, it's possible he didn't just have the power to do it or he was worried about getting Sam even more suspisious than he would be about the healing. I mean the healing is iffy enough from Sam's point of view but if the bad was suddenly dead to that would REALLY getting him thinking. BTW, as a cat owner and lover I am so glad he died a sort of painful death and I so could have done without actually seeing him eat that one cat.
Flag
Yes. The death scene of the villain was surprising and dark.
Flag
Also kind of poetic since he was eating animal parts to gain their power for him to ripped apart by a pack of dogs was kind of a nice touch. :) Kind of makes me wish they had done that for the zombie way back when as it was an option of things to try. :)
Flag
I think the point of the ridiculous flashbacks at the beginning was to show us all most of Supernaturals completely bizarre moments so we were prepared for just how bizarre this episode would be. And it was bizarrely awesome.
Flag
The recap made me realize that a lot of weird shit has happened to the Winchesters.
Flag
I had like tears from my eyes from laughing it was nice seeing dean smile and have some goofy times. I really felt like old times except with better lighting.
I never really trusted pigeons being that i live in new york city so that pigeon scene is not helping.
I really wanted Sam to keep the dog, think of all the adventures and it could help defend Sam so Dean doesn't have to constantly rely on Zeke.
Flag
Imo it was a very funny episode, had me laughing hard at times.
Flag
"Given what we've seen of the angel-vessel situation, there's a decent chance that there isn't a next available vessel."

I am pretty sure that once Zeek entered Sam, his vessel was just fine and actually confused about what was going on. No reason to think he is not available when Zeek needs him again. Also Tahmoh Penikett is too talented an actor to just have that brief appearance. So eventually I am sure Zeek will return to that vessel, voluntarily or not and come back either to help or hunt them...
Flag
Here is what I think: At first, Ezekiel genuinely wanted to help Sam and Dean. However, the longer he stays in Sam's body, the more comfortable he is being there. Let's just say that he will at least have a hard time leaving it.
Flag
Staff
THIS.
Flag
now that you mention it, yeah i dont know why becky and chuck were in it either, was thinking we would see them but was disappointed we did not, and my only thing about him freeing the dogs, i was thinking they would get hit by cars, being that i almost hit one this morning, and i was kind of depressed about the older dog, kinda sad
Flag
"Ezekiel has shown that he has absolutely no qualms about popping into the Sam-mobile's driver's seat whenever it suits him,"

I don't believe has to to date. He's only done it when Sam is dying, or Dean asked him to.
Flag
Zeke resurrected Cas without Dean asking him to. The only resurrection he pulled at Dean's request was Charlie.
Flag
I liked this episode. It was fun, and it reminded me of s1.
Flag
I really hope Sam is, IDK, quietly putting the puzzle pieces together in his own head and just not talking about it yet or something? Because otherwise he is just plain stupid. This is not his first time dealing with possession. He should have realized what's going on by now.

Other than Sam's apparent stupidity, it was a surprisingly great episode.
Flag
Finally! an episode throwback to the good old days of hunting... Maybe they overdid the Dr. Deanlittle bit a tad, but it was still enjoyable... I knew just by the "Road so far" montage I was going to enjoy it as it included Dean screaming like a little girl at a cat which is still one of the funniest moments from the series to me...

They ALMOST got through an entire episode without Zeke's healing bit.

But seriously, at one point Sam was a top notch Law Student.. how stupid is he supposed to be now? between things like "You have too much on your plate" Dean's constant bad lying, now monsters of the weak are pointing out he's different... and does he not wonder what happened to a jugular opening wound on his neck being gone after waking up? still covered in blood, so it was no dream...

Jensen playing a dog... just hilarious. I knew where it was headed the minute he kept tossing the balled up napkin back.. then arguing with the dog about Styx...

Fun episode, back to hotel rooms, using alias and flashing badges. a break from the never ending multi season religion story arc.

More+
Flag
In Sam's defense, until VERY recently he had Zeke white-washing his memories so he would't remember the MAJORLY weird stuff that happened to him or that he over-heard. He didn't white-wash everything, but enough.

However after healing Charlie, Zeke has been on the down-low and apparently no longer white-washing Sam's memories. So now Sam remembers Dean calling out to some "Zeke" person or last night's monster commenting on how he's different. Zeke is probably worn out from resurecting two people in a couple days/weeks.
Flag
Also, I don't know if he would just jump to the conclusion that he's possessed by an angel. He could very well attribute Dean's concern and the blackouts to the trials and the after effects of that. Healing his wounds in this episode is likely a point where he's going to start thinking of other things and might be the key to his cracking the whole thing.
Flag
Ah, that makes sense. I was wondering why Zeke didn't just kill the bad guy there. He was probably still 'recharging' especially having to bring Charlie back from the dead.
Flag
That I'd buy, about Zeke white washing, but again, like on last nights show, Dean's horribly bad lying... I mean we're not even Dean's brother and people comment on how bad his lying is.. and then the comment about "I can't keep wondering about what he meant when he asked what I was..." and "Oh come on Sammy, these things lie.. it's what they do...." except... it's not. every time some baddie has sniffed up anything but pure Winchester and commented on it, it's been true. Demon blood, possession, infection, every single time. if they take the time to point it out, it's true.

And how hurt IS Sam? considering Zeke's been resurrecting dead people instantly, from them being actually DEAD... how much work could Sam actually need??

I mean "I don't have the power to fully heal your brother but I can bring back the dead at the snap of a finger" doesn't make a lot of sense. would it have been better to just let Sam die then resurrect him instantly?
Flag
On the Sam issue, he was supposed to die after the trials were done. I guess to keep him alive after doing those is more damaging than just reviving Cass or Charlie from their injuries. I would imagine if Sam didn't do those trials, he'd be cured instantly. Then again it could all be a lazy excuse to keep other characters alive, but make Sam a special case just for the plotline.
Flag
No, I think you were right the first time. It's apples and oranges to compare Sam's situation with anyone else's.
Flag
Well, the lying is bad to us because we KNOW he's lying. If we only knew what Sam knew we might think he's acting strangely or something but would we KNOW he was lying and about what? As for the healing thing Sam's injuries are from the Trails. That's not exactly the same as being stabbed to death (Cas) or taking a witch mystic beam thingee (Charlie) so compairing them is not really correct. Further, by all accounts the damage to Sam is massive and goes all way down to his very core.
Flag
OdumC, not saying they're bad just saying they stick out more to us because we know what's going on. No doubt Sam should have a sense something is up just not sure he should jump instantly to angel possession when there are a lot of other things it could be.
Flag
Actually the lying is bad to us because he's lying badly... "Uhhh you got knocked out...again..." Dean's his brother. Sam should be able to spot most lies not to mention the cartoonishly exaggerated lies he's been pushing.
Flag
As far as "letting him die and bringing him back"... Sam's problems weren't normal. There was something going on with him that even Cass had no idea w.t.f. it was or how to even begin to undo it. He was changing on an electromagnetic level or some other techno-babble.

So it's possible that trying to undo that piece-by-piece is a really complicated procedure... and letting him die might let that process destroy his body/soul/whatever beyond the point of bringing back.

But that's just an assumption based on Cass's dialog last season. I mean, Angels can bring most people back to life practically with the snap of a finger: a second to remove a point-blank shotgun blast. . Here we have an angel actively trying to "fix" him for weeks and weeks and still not getting it done.
Flag
Supernatural has usually done stand alone comedy episodes really well and this one was no exception. This was pretty awesome. Yes it was silly but the comedy was great and Jensen's skills were sharp as ever here. The back and forth between him and the dog was hilarious.
And I actually enjoyed the villain. At first I thought it was some new kind of monster but just making him a normal guy doing witchcraft was a great idea. I liked the concept of making himself part animal. That was pretty cool.
The Sam/Zeke thing is getting kind of ridiculous. How many times can Zeke wipe Sam's memory before there's nothing left. lol I really liked this story at the start but it needs to be resolved soon.
Flag
Seeing that he would only be wiping certain parts of his memory it's not like he's going to wipe it all away and leave him with no memory at all just what he would normally remember of Zeke or anything that would allow him to figure out what's going on.
Flag
Yea I get that. I just meant to express frustration at the glacial movement of the Zeke storyline. It's getting kinda tedious seeing the same thing every ep. I just want some kind of resolution soon...
Flag
I suspect they're holding off until the winter break. Leave us with a cliffhanger around that storyline.
Flag
Chris21fl, at this point I'm used to it. By now it seemed everyone does it but I remember back during the first season it was really frustrating because the first every winter cliffhanger was John calling Sam and Dean at the end of "Asylum". That was a hard one. :)
Flag
Don't you just hate cliffhangers and winter breaks???
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members