A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursdays, Fall 2016)

Supernatural S09E01: "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here"

IT'S BACK IT'S BACK IT'S BACK IT'S BAAAAAACK!

Hello, friends. How was your hellatus? Good? That's good. I hope you've sufficiently recovered from the trauma of the Season GR8 finale, unlike Sam, who really really didn't, and technically, still hasn't as of the end of "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here." Sam is possessed by an angel but doesn't know it. Castiel is a real boy now. Dean is... well, I don't even know where to start with Dean. The man just never learns. Nine seasons in and he pulls the same crap he did before Hell and the apocalypse-that-wasn't turned him into an emotionally repressed alcoholic. He makes decisions that make me feel like Willy Wonka (the Gene Wilder edition) when all the bratty kids keep touching things and Wonka's past the point of caring. "No. Don't. Stop." 

I know Dean's not going to stop. Dean knows he's not going to stop. Someone has to say something though, make some token effort to force the man to embrace some character growth. WHY WON'T YOU GROW? I've given you sunshine! I've given you dirt! You've given me no-o-thing, but heartache and hurt!

I'm sorry. I have a lot of feelings. And coffee. 

Putting aside my frustration with Dean as both a character and a human being, "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" was a strong start for the last remaining bit of programming from The CW's WB days. It was genuinely exciting, introduced some fun new faces—the calm, cool Ezekiel (Tahmoh Penikett) and psycho-stalker ex-girlfriend angel Hael (Grace Phipps)—and took us somewhere new with the introduction of Castiel as a human in a new world just teeming with pissed-off fallen angels. 

On the downside, as far as the Winchesters themselves go, a lot of the set-up in "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" felt very old hat. Sam was dying and Dean was freaking out about it. A trip through Sam's funhouse-of-horrors headspace revealed that Sam was pretty okay with dying. Dean did a questionable thing to ensure that Sam wouldn't die, but Sam can't know about it or else he'll get really bitchy (and probably die), so here's to yet another season of Dean and Sam keeping secrets from one another, Dean reveling in some serious co-dependency issues that the writers insist are so not unhealthy that I feel a little nauseous sometimes, aaaaaand Sam being sad about stuff. 

Don't even get me started on how seriously messed up the entire Sam-possessed-by-Ezekiel-for-his-own-good scenario is. Nope, too late. It's like this: When Dean was in Hell, he was a torturer and he hated it and it was one of the worst experiences of his (after)life. Remember "On the Head of a Pin," when Cas and the other angels were like, "Hey, boo, we need you to pull out those torturer skills and go to town on Alastair because he taught you how to be a depraved monster and that's a really handy skill to have right now?" And Dean was like, "No, how dare you even ask me something like that you sickos?" 

I know, I know, Dean ended up doing the torturin' anyway, but that's not the point. Or maybe it's a little bit of the point. 

Flash-forward a bazillion seasons. Sam's turn in Hell was different than Dean's, including the reason and manner in which he ended up there. Sam has struggled with his issues around not being "fully human" since, like, Season 2. Maybe Season 1. Idk, when did we find out about the demon blood? Then there were the possessions and the soullessness and Lucifer... Dean was absolutely right when he said that Sam would never, EVER, consent to being possessed—even if it was by an angel, even if was to save his life. One of the worst aspects of Sam's Hell experience was being possessed by Lucifer, another angel. 

So clearly the answer is to manipulate Sam into consenting, by not being entirely clear about what he's agreeing to, and also wiping his memory because that's always worked out so well for the Winchesters in the past. 

Kinda messed up, Dean. Kiiiiinda messed up.

But the current Winchester dilemma doesn't have to drag the whole otherwise-promising season down. My fellow thrifters are well aware of how you can take an old thing and incorporate it into a fabulous new look. Sam had to be saved somehow. You can't have Supernatural without Sam. Maybe a Sam-is-dead storyline could have worked (I mean, where are all the dead going if heaven is locked up? Is it only locked for angels?), but maybe not, so let's just go with what we have. I'll just sit here and cry for Sam's autonomy in my sad little corner while crossing my fingers for more Men of Letters stories because that is the freshest and awesomest idea Supernatural's had in a long time and I'd hate to think it's being squandered. 

Castel-as-human proved to be a pretty interesting story, though—surprisingly so, for me. Not a secret: I'm not a huge Cas fan. I don't hate him or anything, but I just never understood (and still don't understand) why everyone pees their pants over him. So an entire dedicated storyline—completely removed from anything Sam and Dean are doing and probably filled with poop jokes and awkward social situations—just didn't appeal on paper. 

You know what, though? 

I liked it. 

It wasn't flawless—Castiel understood that he no longer had wings and could no longer fly but he didn't understand that he could no longer knock out giant biker dudes with his fingertips? The stuff that wasn't played for laughs was genuinely good, though. Everything in the laundromat was fantastic and sad and insightful—full of development and evolution for Castiel, who has also grown quite a bit in his five seasons on the show, even more than Dean, who has been here THE ENTIRE. TIME. SOMEBODY. DO. SOMETHING. 

I can't wait for the fallout from his encounter with Hael (You think she's really dead? I don't think she's really dead) and it'll be a good arc this season, I hope, to see how Cas reacts to his humanity in the long run. All things considered, he was pretty "human" for an angel even before the fall, which definitely put him in a position to be less-traumatized by the experience than his siblings, but Cas has already had a taste of the sucky side of humanity: pain, poverty, hunger, plus I bet he smells like a butthole right now. It's currently all very novel and curious, but in the long run? If he can't successfully adapt? The whole humanity thing is going to be way less liberating and freeing and more totally suckass. 

Oh, and Jim Beaver came back to play the Bobby that lives in Sam's head and encourages him to die because everyone really regrets the decision to kill Bobby off two seasons ago even if it was one of the better episodes from that period and a generally good episode of Supernatural as a whole.  I like Jim Beaver, so I'll let it slide. I also liked Headspace Bobby more than the atrocious ghost Bobby storyline soooo... gold star? Sure. 

And we're off! I'm so excited! The flaws that were apparent in "I Think I'm Gonna Like it Here" are, in all honesty, problems that have plagued Supernatural on a series-wide level for a little bit now, so the highly scientific formula for determining whether or not this was a good episode looks something like this: I disliked X and I disliked Y, but I thoroughly enjoyed X and Y together. So now we need to come up with a cutsey name to replace Season GR8 because I'm a child and I like cute names. How do we feel about Season Fine? Not fine like, "Yeah, fine, whatever," but fine in the context of "Damn, boy, you fiiiiiine." 

IDK. TALK ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS. <3

NOTES FROM THE APOCALYPSE

– So, the angels fell, but they still have their grace except for Castiel because Metatron specifically stole his? Is that how this works?

– If there'd been a table within reach for me to bang my head against when Dean sent out his all-points bulletin to every angel ever, you wouldn't be reading this review because I'd be so severely concussed that I'd be hospitalized or something. 

– Is Ezekiel a good angel or a bad angel, do you think?

– Will we see Hael again?

– "I've got the king of hell in my trunk." Yeah, at least we didn't get saddled with another demon deal, right?

– Do we need to talk about Headspace Dean killing Headspace Bobby? In other news, Sam Winchester's headspace is... well, no wonder the man wanted to die for real and forever. Sheesh.

– Death himself was honored to reap a Winchester. *sniff* HOLD ME. 

– Dean, Dean, Dean. SMDH.

– On another note: Oh look, Jared Padalecki gets to play yet another "version" of Sam as Ezekiel!Sam and Jensen Ackles gets to be a bitter ol' drunk for the next twenty-whatever episodes. In other news, I'm still grumpy that we missed out on Michael!Dean four seasons ago.

– Whatever. Bring it, Season Fine. BRING IT.

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

298 Comments
Comments (298)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It's back god I love dean. I don't know about this Ezekiel angel something about him doesn't sit right. Sam will be pissed off when he finds out I think he was finally ready to go, but it was interesting how Death didn't try and stop Dean/Ezekiel from stopping Sam moving on. I didn't realise cas looked that great under his coat. Moving on, :) this seasons going to be interesting and fun as it will challenge dean and deal with his guilt over the possession and they won't know who to trust angel wise, if you can at all trust an angel.
Flag
I'm a bit disappointed by Sam's possession. Dean knew Sam would disagree, Sam was in peace and yet Dean let Ezekiel posses his brother.
I'm afraid that we turn in circle, I remember how upset Dean was when Sam lied to him about using his demonic power and now Dean lied to Sam with the possession!!!
Again will have bad tension between those two they will but mad about each other, maybe part away for a moment. It seems that we watch that in every seasons since Sam get Lilly free. All the lies, anger... I hope that won't be the case.
They could have save Sam otherwise.
"Don't even get me started on how seriously messed up the entire Sam-possessed-by-Ezekiel-for-his-own-good scenario is"==>Yes it's messed up!!!!
Flag
people who are still bitching about how supernatural should have been ended a long time ago stop watching it but don't ruin it for us
Flag
Thanks to your review I finally figured out what was bugging me about the sam& Dean relatiosnhip for several years now, so ... thanks
overall, I enjoyed the episode though Dean making the same shitty decissions over and over and over again is getting tiresome. Jared was wonderful, though.
and Misha ... I adore Castiel. and he seemed so at peace with the idea to of helping his brothers and sisters to come to terms with life on earth. and that last scene of his just about broke my heart.
I hope the Winchesters soon reunite with him and I want to see Kevin and I wonder whether Cas will be able to sense not all is right with Sam and whether Dean will rope him into the lie as well. that could be an interesting juxstaposition to S6.
I'm intrigued yet scared
Flag
First of all I love this show, been hooked from day one............got every season on Blu-ray, got the books, even bought a hoody coz it was cool but THIS EPISODE, while it was nice to see the show back it was nothing new, nothing exciting and nothing to shout great things about.

Firstly Sam dying and Dean making a deal to save his life, saw that at the end of season 2. Secondly, Sam being possessed (this time tricked into saying yes) well we saw that when he was possessed by Meg and then by the Devil (season 2 and 5). Thirdly memory wipe Sam, hello season 6 and the summer of soul-less Sam. Fourthly Dean keeping secrets from Sam........well that's been every year since season 4 and he got back from Hell. YAWNFEST BORING. When can we get a whole new approach where the writers don't just tear pages from scripts of the past, chuck them in a blender and represent them as new episodes.

Bobby as the Jimminy Cricket portion of Sam's soul was a nice touch and a way to keep Bobby around but if you want him around then why kill him off in the first place?? Bobby was an integral part of the show for so many years but didn't take up much air time at all so either let him go completely or bring him back for good. Its not like they haven't deus ex machina'd Sam and Dean back to life a hundred times over. Bring him back or stop flogging the dead horse and let him go.

Castiel as a human is just funny and more to the point an actual character development which I would like to see more of. Having to do all the things mere mortals do like laundry, eating and sleeping must be such an inconvenience now. Its going to be an interesting journey for Castiel. I do have one question about the fallen angels though. HOW DID THEY MANAGE TO KEEP THEIR GRACES??? Anna fell to earth, lived a normal human life, heard angel radio, bumped uglies with Dean in the back of the Impala but through it all she lost her grace as she fell.......If Anna lost her grace, or as she put it 'got separated' from it as she fell, how did all those fallen angels manage to keep theirs???

Of course I am going to keep watching, I love the show but the above things have been rattling around in my brain since the first episode. Its good to have the boys back on air and hopefully continue to be for a season or two more yet.
More+
Flag
I loved this episode! Castiel's story was refreshing (bring back Hael and with the same cute actress), I'm a fan of Cas. I don't really like coma stories but this one was FINE. Glad to see Bobby even if it's only in Sam's head, and Ezekiel is an interesting character (but give him his body back and don't make him a traitor). Now I want to see what they have in store for Crowley. I liked the camerawork and the acting too. I agree with MaryAnn though, it wasn't flawless: same old story, cheating Death and secrets between borthers again, but still it was totally forgivable IMHO as I loved the episode. And I'm also glad Dean finally made peace with Castiel for good (or so it seems). Hope the rest of the season will be as good!
Flag
Hopefully they don't make his character a traitor the boys need a angel they can trust and doesn't screw them over. Hopefully they keep Ezekiel's body the actor who played him is a good actor and not bad to look at either. I liked crazy Hael she was interesting but I think she is gone as heaven is locked now so know where to go
Flag
You're probably right for Hael, what a waste! I like the actor who played Ezekiel too, he is quite charismatic. I think we'll see him again when Ezekiel leaves Sam's body.
Flag
Hopefully
Flag
I want Crowley. Dean has him in the trunk more than a day? And isn't Ezekiel midly interested in that? Or the social worker angell?
Flag
I. Want. Bobby. Back. For. Good.

Idjits!
Flag
Yay Bobby! For me, that was the highlight of the whole episode. Just wish they would bring him back permanently. I heart Bobby. My TV viewing life needs more Bobby in it. More Bobby Please Show Runners!
Flag
The writers should just have Bobby 'possess' one of the fallen angels. That wouldn't be any stranger or nonsensical than other things they've done. And while they're at it...bring back Ellen and Jo.
Flag
I really enjoyed Tahmoh Penikett, although I get easily excited about new characters in the Supernatural world. Dean and Sam need more friends, I thought that some of the issues in past season came from it feeling like they didn't have much to lose and that made all the dying and coming back feel repetitive. I love this show and feel like it would it will last longer if they expand the world a bit hopefully with more Men of Letters storylines. I liked where this season is going and I enjoyed this premiere more than the what we had the last couple of seasons.
Flag
Well to be fair Dean's survived Hell twice so I don't think there is anyone that can tell him to change or grow. And what exactly is growing....letting Sam die. Winchesters don't do dead brothers, either one of them, so it ain't happening. Plus maybe Dean is spoiled, he and Sam have survived so much and they're still shuffling along. Heck even Bobby didn't really go anywhere. It just seems nothing is too serious or too hellish for Dean or Sam and now Castiel to tackle. And I love that. Also Dean has been around Castiel for so long he now probably feels being possessed by an angel might not be such a bad thing....maybe it'll fix some of what's broken in Sam. So glad Supernatural is back.
Flag
Congrats on Supernatural. I'm not entirely sure but I think its the top CW show this week in terms of ratings. For a 9 year old show, that ain't bad at all.

What I like most about this episode was Ezekiel as Sam. Jared Padalecki gets a chance to show us a different character while still being Sam. I hope he is consciously Ezekiel more often than he is as Sam, at least for a few episodes. I also liked the new intro. Supernatural is one of the few shows that actually changes their intro each season.

I don't like how (fallen) Angels are the main baddies this season. It feels like its been done already. I really hope the show doesn't run out of ideas because Supernatural is actually one of the shows I look forward on watching.
Flag
I thought these trails would make Sam even more powerful than any being.
A gift from god or something, a bad ass Sam!!
But after watching the first episode of the 9th season, what a let down:(
Posessed by an angel, other than Lucifer, come on writers!!
But i'm curious where it will go. Supernatural fan forever!!
Flag
Supernatural is back, woo! Perhaps not as inspired as I'd hoped (we all know that Carver is capable of writing better), but it was still a solid effort with more highlights than disappointments. And nine seasons... holy hell, has it really been that long?

Shame about the writers rehashing familiar elements, yet again. The God trials which ultimately fumbled still had to bring us to the same old overused plot, with Sam not being well and ultimately balancing on the verge of death. It also made me thoroughly disappointed in Sam. After his supposed growth in the previous season and a newly found resolve, he reverts back to his passive "I don't want to fight no more, so I'll just lie down here and give up" persona? Such a terrible, terrible development. It's one of the reasons why the characters in the series are never truly allowed to noticeably go forward. And of course we had to go back to keeping secrets again (that's like a favorite theme by now) and cheating death in a new-yet-old way again. They could've spared us at least one of these elements.

I wasn't angry with Dean, however. I guess this is where I differ from MaryAnn (glad to have these reviews back, by the way). I was absolutely pissed off by Sam's actions, but Dean was my personal hero. This time I really didn't want for him to let it go, and this time his actions felt totally justified. Sam made him a promise, remember? Sam was the one who wanted to carry on and keep fighting, doing the trials at whatever cost. Dean's dependency issues or not, it was Sam who faltered when the trying moment came.
I understand Dean's desperation, I can even forgive him keeping the angel possession a secret because this time it is clearly for the good of his brother. That's not something I could've said about many of the previous secrets the brothers kept from each other. And frankly, right now the possession hardly seems like a thing if Sam is allowed to be fully in control of himself. The principle could be questioned, but it remains to be seen whether the inner workings of it are any bad.

I didn't care much for Sammy's messed-up head events (been there, done that), with one notable exception: Death. This was such an honor. Every single precious episode that has Death in it instantly becomes so much better.

If there is anything else I was disappointed in, it's how easily the angel fallout has been brushed off. A meteor shower, really? Unpredictable and unexpected, in this time and age? Of this impact? This was the show's chance to take it on a more global scale, to have more of the world actually notice that something is up. Instead, they just went for the most ridiculous type of cop out in order to keep the status quo. If there isn't anything more to it, it's going to be a huge let down. I can't accept that nobody would get even a little suspicious.

Really liked Ezekiel and his calm demeanor. Having Tahmoh Penikett on Supernatural is great, I hope he is here to stay for longer. And I hope that the angel is allowed to go back to his previous vessel sooner rather than later. Overstaying his welcome in Sam's body would quickly become tiring (but until then Jared Padalecki may get to have more fun playing yet another persona - assuming Ezekiel resurfaces now and then). I also pray that the crew won't try to go for the "Ezekiel takes turn for the bad and decides to just keep Sam as his vessel", because that would be oh-so-awfully-predictable.

Castiel as a human always had a lot of potential (even since that glance in season 5), so now I expect tons of potentially funny situations for writers to play with. Luckily it won't be just an ongoing parody, as they demonstrated in scenes which took a more serious turn.

One other thing I can't stop wondering about: so Dean was all ready to discuss deals with Crowley, but then dropped the subject completely. I know that trusting Ezekiel seemed like a better way (especially with Castiel vouching for him), yet when Ezekiel proved too weak The King of Hell option wasn't even brought up again.

In the end I guess I liked it, while hating some of the reused familiar elements. A decent enough way to kick off the season, but it just could've been better.

More+
Flag
am still watching the show because I invested many years into it but they should have ended it many seasons ago, it is just too repetitive and after crossing literally all line from heaven and hell and having insulted Lucifer and God what is next? Are they going after scientology? Excuse me i forgot they already did (metaphorically) It's time to end this show
Flag
LoL.....
Flag
I totally agree with you.

Flag
The only problem I had with the premiere is not that there is, once again, a conflict-creating secret between the brothers, but that the nature of the conflict has remained the same. Ever since the beginning, whenever there is a secret between them, it is usually about Sam.

Sam hiding his psychic powers. Sam hiding his involvement with Ruby. Sam hiding info about Lillith. Sam hiding halluciferations. Dean hiding his deal to save Sam. Dean hiding Sam's soulless year. Dean hiding killing Sam's friend. To date, I think that Dean's keeping Benny a secret has been the only one between them that wasn't about Sam. And in that case, the potential for conflict wasn't that high. What I don't get is why the writer's are so eager to retread the same ground when a simple reversal would've made for a better storyline while showcasing character development for both brothers.

That Dean would do anything to keep Sam alive and sane has been established many times over. If he'd sell his soul and deal with Death, then dealing with an Angel is not a big leap. While what he'd do and which lines he'd cross comes as a surprise, that he'd cross any line does not. Which is why, whatever other twists might be involved in this reiteration, the culmination is quite foreseeable - the secret would come out once Sam is healed, Sam would throw a fit and leave for an episode or two and then "forgive" his brother and come back. Been there, done that.

What irks me is that a simple reversal - with Sam doing anything to save Dean - would've opened up a great many possibilities. The last time Dean was apparently dead (in purgatory), Sam seemed to just let it go and settle into a comfy normal life. And while he was called out on it by both Dean and Bobby, there was no indication that he'd do otherwise if the similar situation presented itself. The only time Sam had shown Dean-like determination to save his brother was in the Trickster induced alternate future - way back in season 3. This would've been a good opportunity to show that Sam cares about his brother as much as Dean and that he too would cross any line to save him. That's something Sam has never had the opportunity to do - either he had no idea about the price to be paid (Faith), or it was done for him (Lazarus Rising) or it was Dean's choice (Point of No Return). Sam having to do something to save Dean's life, which he knows that Dean would hate, thus resulting in a great deal of emotional turmoil, doubt and an understanding of Dean's perspective would've been a great opportunity for character development. As for Dean, the last time someone did something like that - John making a deal - it sent him on a downward spiral that he is still in. This would've been a good way to showcase his character development.

Now, I'm not arguing that Dean should've been the one to do the trials. Given that they were doomed to fail (the writer's were not going to shut off their greatest source of villains since season 1) and that the final trial would've ended in death - it is more believable that Sam attempted them and stopped. Dean, with his disregard for his own life, would not have stopped and Sam might not have been able to stop him. But, at the start of the trials, Sam made a grand statement about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and helping Dean see it even if he couldn't on his own. It would've been great for him to be given a chance to follow through. If it had been Dean lying in the bed and Sam making desperate and morally dubious choices to save him - contrary to Dean's wishes - well, then we wouldn't know how that storyline would've ended because that has never been done before. But instead they chose to rehash not just a similar storyline, but the same one.
More+
Flag
I have a quick question or two. Did Jimmy, the actual occupant for Castiel's body every die? I don't remember it. And I know the body has been destroyed multiple times, but it is still only a host body, so the original soul should be in there. So if it is still in there, how is Cas able to co-occupy it without his grace?
Can we expect Cas to start having some time of schizophrenia/multiple personality disorder with the original soul?
Flag
I think it was established several seasons ago that Jimmy left the body. I think it was the episode with his family? anyway, I think teh body has been Jimmy-free for several seasons now
Flag
I think Jimmy would have died the first time Castiel died. Ruby 2.0s host was dead so there was no one in there. Also the original Megs host was nearly dead when she was excercised from her body, but the boys thought that the girl might have died when she fell out the window. So yea I think Jimmy's dead.
And remember Anna was an Angel w/o her grace so I think Castiel is okay in that sense. However, if I remember correctly didn't Anna retain some power w/o her grace or was that only Angel Radio she had.
Flag
Ruby 2.0 chose a body in a coma so the host was already "gone", so I don't think that applies. And Megs host and body died, so who knows about the soul. And Anna came back as a baby, so the body was hers to start with. (And I as I posted before, I am hoping see finds her way back with the other castouts this season)
The problem I'm seeing is that every time someone has died and come back, the soul comes with it except for Soulless Sam, and that was such a big deal that they mentioned it for a whole season. So Jimmy's soul should still be in there, I don't see that Cas gets squatters rights. But maybe they mentioned the soul leaving for good and I missed it and am hoping someone else caught it.
Flag
Nope, they haven't brought up Jimmy directly since we met him really.
And I'd say Jimmy is dead, because when Castiel was brought back at the end of season 5 as human in the hospital he says before he woke up the doctors thought he was brain dead, which I'd take it to mean no one else is home...
Flag
good call. thanks
Flag
Season Fiiiine.

So I want to defend Dean on the basis of his permanent childhood trauma and scarred psyche that will never recover.

For Dean, Sam is far more than a brother - he is also Dean's surrogate child and the only legacy he'll leave behind. Dean lost his own childhood as soon as John put Dean in charge of Sam. It wasn't a switch turned on when Mary died as Dean was only 4. But as the years progressed by the time we had that Dickens Christmas moment that we flashed-back to in S3, Dean was pretty much in the role of parent. His own childhood abandoned, especially after Sammy almost got killed again. Fast forward to his failed attempt to be a father with Ben. He was so into that role and the end of this was not just Sam's return but the realization that he would drag Ben both into danger and the hunting life. So now Dean thinks that while he will never have a child to pass on his legacy, Sammy might. Sam sees a MOL centered existence with a future. He has stated that Sam's happy ending is HIS happy ending. So if Sam dies, then the family dies. No more hunting legacy, no MOL legacy and most importantly, no legacy for Mary and John. Well that's all on Dean in Dean's head. He can't let them all down so he'll sell his soul again (this time virtually) to stop that.

Put differently, possession is the WORST thing imaginable to the leader of Team Free Will (Dean). So of course this is the crime he has to commit in order to fulfill what he perceives as his family obligation. Angst 101.

I think it's an excellent conundrum (pitting the two ideals he most cherishes against one another). He picked family even of it means he is violating Sammy to do it.

Dean isn't stagnant, he's a character dragged thru a series of life events that have taken him to a moral event horizon. I totally GET his choice and see him effectively trapping himself in a hell of his own making. The guilt is going to eat him up.
More+
Flag
I can totally see where you come from with your defense of Dean. But I think many people want the writers just to put him in a different situation one where It's Sam that's saving Dean, and Dean has to trust him. And I mean stepping out from the whole demon blood. It gives off that Dean only trusts his decisions, Dean is constantly telling everyone to trust him but really has problems trusting his own brother to make the right decision half the time. Dean's character has been through so much it'd be nice if he let Sam save him for himself and his own self inflicted damage even that would be a difference.
Flag
OMG, just freakin' KILL IT! KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT!!!! This show has jumped the damn shark sooooooooo many times! I mean, how many times can Janson-Whoever play the SAME SCENE? He's ALWAYS sitting over a "dead" Sam or an "almost dead" Sam, while he trembles his lower lip. Sheesh. I watched it with my wife for the first 5 seasons, but even she is like "You're right; it should end." LIke I said earlier . . . KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT, KILL IT! The acting just gets worse and worse.
Flag
Agreed. The show is just a joke now. They recycle the same storylines over and over and over to no end. ^
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Anyone else getting the feeling that this angels on earth and Sam being a vessel is going to lead back to the Michael/Lucifer faceoff?
Flag
Well they're still locked in Lucifers cage in Hell. Castiel supposedly whiped all the angels that were for Michael. But the demons don't currently have a king, and could see them trying something.
Flag
Well, while the whole tablet thing most likely cured Sam's hellscars permanently, there's a chance that, if they are still there, they could "infect" Ezekiel. I don't know, I feel like there are loose ends that Supernatural purposely haven't been tied up so they can culminate into something later, such as that hell portal in purgatory being left open and wtf happened to the leviathan on Earth.
Flag
Your post mostly confuses me, can't figure out what you were trying to get across. =/ Castiel took on all of Sam's hellscars. Unless you're getting at the a tablet may show how to release Lucifer? I still don't see the Angels having that much of a pull, and see it beng the Demons it was Crowley he actually got Sam out of there not the Angels.
But they do leave a lot of loose ends, I can't see why there still wouldn't be tons of Leviathan around. I don't remember them saying anything like they all just left, wouldn't they have had to bib/eat themselves to return to purgatory. Maybe we'll run into a few this season.
Flag
This episode was goo, but it was similar to other eps where Dean had to save Sam life in some way cheating death. I just wanna why something always happen to Sam, im like will Sam ever get a break. Wish they would do something not involving angles for once thouhh
Flag
Also just in case anyone was wondering. Tuesdays numbers was the biggest for the show since 2010. I'll go ahead and say that I think the big jump was from Netflix, and the fact that the fandoms on tumblr have taken a huge interest on the show. But yay! right?
Flag
I just thought there how awesome it would be to see Cranston (Walter White) or Hall (Dexter) cameo in this show as evil angels or evil anything. They may not be up for it due to typecasting but I need them back and supernatural would be a perfect fit for both short term. Not likely but mouth watering.

On a different note, With Cass having so many loyal Angels it may not be long before one sacrifices their powers for their leader, Cass showed it can be done. Heres hoping.
Flag
Oh, poor Castiel, forced to give up his trench coat for a bottle of water (did he get a snack bar ??). It's a bit wierd a Castiel without THE trench coat!! Hope one day he could have it back. And of all the angels, Matetron took Cas's grace, hate you!!

That girl angel did kick like an angel, huh? Dean barely got some light bruises over his face and Sam's got a zombie look on his face while walking out of the hospital, don't you think?

Anyway, glad the boy's are back and hope we can have Crowly coming out of that trunk soon!! Miss the guy ... ...
Flag
"It's a bit wierd a Castiel without THE trench coat!!"

Not really, he never took the damn thing off. I hope it's gone forever. <
Flag
Oh who cares, they're back and that's all that really matters. Sam is Sam and Dean is Dean--er, sort of. Cas finally makes the creds, and that's a good thing. I have never seen a bad episode of this show--some are just more fantastic is all--and I trust these people to entertain me. Welcome back boys...

Oh, and Mary Ann, I gave Jen a copy of my book at Comic-Con for you, did you get it?
Flag
I find it interesting that I had more use for Grace Phipps in her one episode here than in any of her episodes of TVD last year.
Flag
Also about the bunker, I think it's cool too, but they can't stay there all the time, it can be their "bat-cave" Supernatural has always basically been a "road movie" for those who have the audacity of complaining about the monsters of the week

Flag
Sam and Dean have had "headquarters" in the series. The Road House was the first attempt. Bobby's house was the de facto headquarters from the end of season 2 to season 7. Heck, at least two episodes had the action almost entirely at Bobby's house. After the house burned down, the boys had Rufus's cabin, but that seemed like a step down from their previous place. And now they have a high tech space with all the lore for every monster currently in existence, and its origins could easily fill enough episodes for an entire season! Sam and Dean can't travel every episode like they did in season 1. They need a place to regroup, research a monster, and craft out a plan, and the bunker seems like a perfect place now that the all-knowing Bobby is dead and his house burned down.
Flag
First of all enough with the Dean bashing, what do you expect him to become a happy go lucky, all smiles, life is roses guy? Seriously? With all he's been through? First of all he was the deepest character of this show from the start (and Jensen Ackles is so under appreciated about how good of an actor he really is)

And he has grown a lot since Season 1 even if it's not the way you seem to want him to grow. He was completely black & white at the beginning, but circumstances made him start to dabble in the gray, trust others except for family, even befriend a vampire which Sam (!) was against, when old Dean would NEVER have done that.

I think the angel Hael think was for Cas to realize he can't trust the Angels anymore. Yes Castiel was the only one who lost his grace, so the other Angels are even more dangerous to him. I love the Cas being human storyline & can't wait to see it play out. Castiel is an amazing character & if you don't get why we pee our pants, well that's not our problem.

And also about the Sam being possesed thing, he didn't die and come back, this was so he wouldn't die & what did you expect Dean to do? Actually Death seemed sad to take Sam not excited even though he said it was an honor. Ezekiel is the Angel of Death & Transformation, could go either way.

The heaven is closed thing has been boggling my mind since Season Gr8 finale. What if it's closed for humans, then they will go to Hell & it will overflow, getting Crowley to help them "open" heaven again? I love Crowley being "forced" to work with the Winchesters

More+
Flag
Wow!! It's so nice to be back!! I think it was a nice episode, I didn't feel the time passing by. So yeah Dean was the old same Dean, but what could we expect? That he would let his brother die? Who would??? And we should also consider the fact that what Dean has learnt from John is loyalty to the family. And that Dean has been the one to take care of Sam after their mother died. And the fact that Dean has no-one else in his life so if Sam died he would be all alone. And who wouldn't try to save his brother??? (having Sam dead around would be interesting though). Anyways, Dean found a solution that I think will also be interesting to watch. I don't think Ezekiel is good or bad. I definitely think he has an endgame on wanting to possess Sam's body.
Cass as a regular!!!!! Human Cass!!! Yeah, but please don't outstretch it!! And there ain't no Cass if there ain't no trench coat!!! The whole angels story seems interesting. Won't they try to reopen heaven?? And won't the Winchesters play in integral role in it??
It was so nice to see Jim Beaver again!!! ( :'( ) And Julian Richings too!!
Overall, I think I'm gonna like it here too!! :)
More+
Flag
A while back, I accepted that Supernatural didn't end it's run and go out on top at the end of season 5. I could have been an epic Tony Soprano'esque ending that would have had people talking about it years after the fact...but, I digress.

As a result, we have 2 seasons and some change of "What the hell do with do with them now?". And like many shows that hold on just a little too long, that means a little too much of the "same ol' Winchesters". Having Dean do something different other than the exact same thing he's done for 8 years would be an uncharacteristic departure for him. The only way he ever let's Sam die is if someone whom Dean respects makes him see the light, so to speak, and the only person with that much weigh is Bobby...and...well...you know.

That said, if the writers really wanna mix things up, have Ezekiel silently posses Sam for a handful of episodes, heal both himself and Sam, exit Sam's body with no fanfare or brotherly relationship consequence and we'll pretend like all this never happened.
Flag
The renewal of the show genuinely surprised even the series creators, causing season 6 to be a complete mess with way too many storylines and horrid resolutions. It seemed like they were just throwing ideas at the wall and seeing what stuck. Crowley as a Big Bad? Dean as a family man? Sam going soulless? Alpha Monsters? War in Heaven? Eve? Complete mess. Season 7 was a bit of an improvement, but they messed up by getting rid of Cas and the Impala for most of the season and introducing a Big Bad that wasn't scary whatsoever, despite the first two episodes of the season being FABULOUS! Bobby's death episode was admittedly the best written episode of the season, but bringing him back as a ghost and really not doing anything with the character undermined his comeback. Season 8 was much better after episode 9 when they got rid of the damned Sam/Amelia flashbacks, and season 9 COULD be the best post-season-5 season if they write t the right way and expand the Men of Letters story with Abaddon as the chief villain.
Flag
I thought the most unexpected outcome possible to the Ezekiel+Sam thing would be Sam being happy with his passenger, no feelings of loneliness, contentment, powerful without the power being his to command. Angelic inner peace or some shit.

Then I thought, nah. They would just write Dean being hella jealous because his brother is happy with another entity and there would be a forced exorcism or something. And then there would be much brotherly brooding about never being able to have nice things because that's the Life.

So Ezekiel just leaving when his work is done sans drama...here's to hoping!
Flag
All is right in the world with the returns of SPN and MaryAnn's SPN reviews. Season 9!!! I can't believe that this show that has been through various obstacles over the past has survived to Season 9! I have to agree that what Dean did was wrong but I understand that Dean was desperate and had no options, so he used his heart instead of his head. No doubt that when Sam finds out, he gonna be pissed!! Think that the whole keeping secrets from the other brother schtick has gotten real old. Surely the writers could find a way to create conflict WITHOUT having to resort to one brother lying to the other. A part of me wanted Sam to die and be at peace and maybe join Jessica in Heaven but there's no Dean if there's no Sam. Which brings me to the fact that when he said that there was nothing left to fight for. I was like, "You still have Dean! Isn't he a good enough reason to fight?" Another gr8 review, MaryAnn and I had the same thought when it came to naming Season 9! I'm going with Season Fiiiine!
Flag
Staff
Hiiii!

Yep, I accepted that we can't have a dead Sam as long as the show is still going. The solution to get him back on his feet just made me cringe though. Enough with the lying! Even when it's for a good cause, it just ends so so badly and ugggggh I just want everyone to get along again!

Season Fiiiiine! Yessss. So excited.
Flag
Poor Dean, he really had it difficult this first episode of the season. he never should have prayed for the angels to help his little brother. Now he has unleashed hell on himself....
I can't believe that Sam is a angel now...so weird to see him like that, on the other hand ...he has now powers to defend himself and can find castiel...
Castiel is really funny...how he tried to hurt the man by the phone, by touching his head..that is really funny....
Loved the first episode very much...looks promising for the rest of the season.
Flag
Tahmoh Penikett did not pull off Ezekiel.
Flag
I sometimes like to imagine I am watching a show...really like I did with this one but that was before season four..with someone who knows nothing about it. Wow this show doesn't care about new audiences. Dean.....

I was not totally bowled over by Cas' story...first wasn't there a brief period where Jimmy took over again but Cas was still in there? Second...I've never understood how or why he was in the same clothes...thinking too much..but did that other angel who initially came seem to have kids and a wife? Have they ever dealt with nephilim on this show? I presume we can trust Ezekiel to a certain extent but I worry because of some previous angels Cas has been allied with and well there is still that whole bunch Cas doesn't remember from before Naomi started controlling him...
Flag
The angel didn't have a kids and a wife. The person he possessed had kids and a wife..

And Nephilim were part of the fake trial Cas and Metatron did last season finale.
Flag
I can understand why the whole Ezekiel!Sam situation is kinda touchy because of the consent issue, but I'm still excited to see how Season 9 deals with Sam's health. I just can't help but remember how other seasons "dealt" with past carryover problems from the previous seasons (e.g. Sam's Hell trauma, Dean's purgatory PTSD). I'm hoping they don't toy with the Ezekiel situation for a few episodes, find a clever solution, gloss over the repercusions, and then forget about it for the rest of the season.

P.S. Did anyone else find it hilarious that no CW show seems to want to keep April Young/Hael around. TVD got rid of her and Supernatural didn't keep her (yes, I think she's dead for good). Poor girl can't catch a break on this network.
Flag
OHHH..that is why she looked so familiar, didn't even realize it was her or that she was booted from TVD
Flag
When Dean said yes to Ezekiel's not awesome plan I think I might have cried a little inside. Why is he being so stupid? Why? Anyway, my next thought was that Lucifer is going to be so jealous some angel got up in that without all the trouble he went through to do it. I feel like we should place bets as to when Sam is going to find out and just be like how dare you save me Dean. Of course Dean can't let him go. Maybe Dean should see a doctor for his issues. Nothing wrong with it.

So, Sam's head is a weird place. That's really not shocking thinking over everything he's been through. It was nice to see Bobby again, even if it was fake Bobby. I have a feeling the writers are like, maybe we shouldn't have killed off Bobby. It was also really nice to see Death. I think it's cool that Death himself will come to take the Winchesters.

I don't know how I feel about Ezekiel. He seemed okay, I mean a little uptight. Though when Cas was talking about him he had a big smile all over his face and seemed to really like the guy. I don't know if I trust Cas's opinion on people after he helped some guy lock all the angels out of heaven.

Don't get me wrong here people, I love Sam and Dean. They're awesome. My favorite part of this episode was watching Cas be human. I thought it was the newest thing that this episode gave us. Cas has been human-ish for awhile now, but now he's a human and gets to smell, drink, eat, and feel things. I can't wait to see where that takes him. Of course most of the angels want his head on a stick so things could get messy.

My take on the angels is that the gates of heaven are locked so they can't get home. They have all the powers an angel normally has only they can't go home. It was nice how there was something about them needing vessels. So glad we didn't forget that angels possess people just to walk about.

I hope next week we get to see how the King of Hell is doing. Crowley was almost on his way to being a real boy again. So, what does that mean for him? I think I'll like watching what happens next.
More+
Flag

CONGRATS Supernatural you started off this season with a BANG...I'm very excited about this season loved it.
Flag
<>
They showed Metatron taking Castiel's "grace juice" and putting it in a flask.

<>
Desperate times require desperate solutions. I guess I would've done the same.

<>
Castiel vouched for him. Besides, there are no such thing as bad angels. They are ANGELS, for chrissake. There are misguided angels or confused angels or misunderstood angels instead. Har, har! Got you there for a moment, didn't I?

<>
The character is intriguing, and the actress is stunning, so I'd say I hope so. But I wouldn't have high hopes for that poor, mangled and formerly adorable vessel.

<<"I've got the king of hell in my trunk." Yeah, at least we didn't get saddled with another demon deal, right?>>
It was a way of including Crowley in the story, yet avoiding spending in the actor's paycheck. You know, CW budget,..

<>
Ever since headspace Sam killed himself (or versions of himself) TWICE in another episode, nothing surprises me anymore.
More+
Flag
Oh, and I had to giggle at the Little Shop Of Horrors reference! "Pleeeeeease, grow for meeeeeeee!"
Flag
Staff
YES! So excited someone got it!

The fact that Cas vouched for Ezekiel means a lot to me too. I think I'm just mistrusting of pretty much everyone on this show because rarely does someone NOT have alterior motives for being nice to the Winchesters.
Flag
Can an anorak (someone who collects obscure baseball or cricket statistics) please tell us how many Supernatural seasons have begun with a dead or dying Winchester whose demise gets averted by a live Winchester cutting a really bad deal with a demon or angel or both?
It feels like 57 but then I check the episode guide & it tells me we're only beginning season 9.
Is that 9 seasons of Dean dying and Sam dealing with the devil cause I know Dean has cut more bad deals than Sam 48 would seem about right.

I mean c'mon, what Ms Sleasman charitably describes as Dean's lack of character development could be seen by the cynical as scriptwriters stuck on a scratched record exiting climax leading to great end of season finale then "KER-THUNK!"

KER-THUNK?
yeah stylus/needle thingy hit the scratch on the record and now we are back at the beginning of the loop.

What loop?

This loop:

Dead Winchester - then bad deal by live Winchester - four episodes of trying to mitigate awful consequences of bad deal before formerly dead Winchester uncovers truth of 'miraculous recovery' & swears never to speak to other Winchester - that season's bad deal-maker, ever again.

a promise that usually lasts 2.375 episodes before something really terrible happens to bad deal making Winchester where upon formerly dead Winchester saves his ass & they kiss and make up.
All is forgotten until the time about mid way thru the following season in the middle of a typical Winchester handbags at 10 paces 'fight' (usually over that season's stupid/bad deal)one Winchester screeches his disdain for the other Winchester on the grounds of the bad deal at the start of the previous season.

Then a kiss kiss bang bang love fest - straight into the final third of the season which is devoted to winding up the tension for the season finale and the inevitable "KER-THUNK!"

I like watching Supernatural - honest, but can't the writers/show runner at least try and change the formula - even a bit?
More+
Flag
Staff
I try not to be among the cynical...but dang you're onto something.

Let's see:
Season 1: Dean's dying, John makes a deal in the S2 premiere
S2: Sam dies, Dean makes a deal
S3: Dean dies, Sam becomes BFFs with Ruby
S4: No one dies
S5: Sam dies, Cas saves him sort of
S6: Sam is coma-tastic...and then he isn't idk it was a mess
S7: Dean "dies" and goes to purgatory, becomes BFFs w/ Benny
S8: Sam dying, Dean becomes BFFs with Ezekiel

Someone should tell them that not every cliffhanger needs to hinge on mortal peril.

Flag
Ms Sleasman. That cracks me up.
Flag
I loved the episode, but let's be frank. Supernatural has trivialized death, especially as of that episode in which the Winchesters were killed, went to Heaven and came back to life in the same episode. Visiting the after-life seems just like a short ride to the suburbs for these two. There are some lines that shouldn't be crossed or the show loses its credibility. Oh, well, these are mistakes from past lives. But the episode was solid.
Flag
Staff
This! I had the thought during the episode that so what if Sam dies? The show has established time and time again that it's not all that hard to go back and forth between Heaven/Hell/Purgatory/Earth. And the constant returns of Bobby always peeve me off (even though I love the character, I do, I do, I do) because his death was SUCH a good one and everything that came after with that character has been such crap.
Flag
Season Not Cloud Nine? As in the angels are no longer in the clouds?
Flag
Dean: "I've got the King of Hell in my truck."
Grief Councillor: "That...that is a metaphor?"

Actually I think Dean may find that he escaped.

Cas vouched for Ezekiel, so I think he can be trusted as much as any other angel.
Flag
I liked the season premiere and I know the show will improve like it always does as the season goes on
Flag
1. I think that Ezekiel is good, for now. Cas vouched for him, but Tahmoh usually plays the surface good guys with a hidden agenda, so what is his agenda?
2. I was not sure if Cas fully killed Hael. They did not show the death imprint usually left when an angel dies. She could show up.
3. They do have an arsenal in the trunk, but they also have all kinds of anti demon wards. What is Crowley going through in there?
4. Sam's headspace is a bit weird. Is this the only time we will see Bobby?
5. Is this the only time we will see Julian Richings? I really like him as Death.
6. I agree about the Michael/Dean. I did not like the half brother character AT ALL. I felt cheated and betrayed when they brought him back to be Michael's vessel.
7. I am ready for Season Fine. Is Cas going to get his grace back? Does he want it back? How long is Sam going to be Samekiel? How is Sam going to react when he finds out? Where is Kevin Tran? Don't the Winchester boys still have anti-possession tattoos? Or do they only work on demons? Or did the writers forget about them?
More+
Flag
The death imprint when an angel dies is that of his wings, and these angels' wings have already burned
Flag
True, I had forgotten that. Good point. Still, it looked like he might have only half killed her. We will find out.
Flag
The possession tattoos are just to prevent demons. The Winchester rib cages have symbols that prevent angels from locating them, which is why Dean had to tell the angels his location for them to help.
Flag
I really hope they bring back Tahmoh Penikett to play Ezekial... or just bring him back for whatever.

As a socially awkward person and extremely literal, Castiel really appealed to me since he lacks any social skills.
Flag
I guess this wasn't a very good episode, but I don't care, because the boys are back!! The whole Dean Sam death desaster is hopefully done now, aside from a little bitching about the angel stuff, but Ezekiel seems like a nice enough guy.
Hael was cute and psycho, Castial usually cool, bobby was back, so I think I am gonna like season 9. But it needs more Abbadon and Men of Letters.
(I know, I kinda just repeated everything the review said :D)
Flag
Yeah, that pretty much how it works. Cas' grace was actually removed so he has no powers while the other angels just physically fell to Earth so they have their's. Given the stuff Metatron was saying in the final episode last year we're just lucky Cas remembers who and what he is and all that because I was afraid he wouldn't and we would find him living somewhere under another name and with a new family or something.
Flag
Staff
Uggggh same. I'm glad we have a lucid Cas. And a surprisingly capable Cas, too. He's going to have road bumps, and that's fine, but my goodness, he's not a baby (despite what Dean may believe from time to time.) I was glad to see him mostly hold his own this week.
Flag
See, seems to me a lot of people (Dean included sadly) underestimate Cas sometimes. I remember the last time he was powerless (or close to it) during the whole lead up to "Swan Song" and he seemed to do pretty well kicking butt when he needed to without his angel powers. He's still a fairly decent hand-t0-hand fighter, still knows how to use his angel sword (which seems to kill a lot of things other than just angels) and he still has his knowledge of the lore and stuff so he's not totally helpless and it's nice to be reminded of that from time to time. It's going to be weird seeing him change clothes now though as I assume that's going to be a recurring thing now.
Flag
so happy this show is back!!!! and with such and exciting season opener! woho! this show is a treasure
Flag
I have to agree with you on Dean and lack of growth. I mean yes the character has grown darker with all that has happened to him. But he hasn't really changed from being so codependent. We saw him try, and fail with Lisa. After that it seemed he went back to his own ways. Not to mention Dean is the most self righteous person on the show and it's annoying that what he says always matters most and how he'd blame Sam for things. I love Dean, I really do but it's gotten to the point where whenever he starts one of his speeches I just want to tune out. I think the biggest problem is that we have Sam to compare him to who has grown and changed so much. Dean has been in the same mindset since the beginning with the hiccup that was Lisa. Sam goes from good, bad but meaning well, to souless, and just is a much more complex person than Dean.
Flag
Well, they did say way back at the start that the show was about Sam through Dean's eyes. The character growth and the whole hero's journey was supposed to be Sam centric. As they said it, it's like "Star Wars" the journey is Luke's and Han is sort of there to help him along. If you look at classic "Star Wars" Luke changes a lot as well (starts out as a young and somewhat sheltered farm boy but by the end is a full on Jedi) while Han doesn't really change that much (other falling in love with Leia and kind of settling down). Oh and no, Lisa wasn't Dean's Leia, Dean's real Leia hasn't shown up yet. :)
Flag
I like what you said.
But films and series are different things, and nine seasons without character developement feels frustrating.
Flag
Actually I wasn't aware of that. Thanks! I'm guessing your a long time fan. I watched everything on Netflix. This changes a few things for me actually, because I was wanted Dean to be just as special and changing as Sam, but what you say makes some things a whole lot more since. Though I still wish we'd had a season where Sam had to save Dean more than the other way around and he called the shots because Dean was falling and all. But Thanks! =]
Flag
Yeah, I've been watching since the original airing of the first episode and I remember them drawing a lot of parallels between the show and "Star Wars" and how Dean was Han and Sam was Luke. They have put some more of the focus on Dean from time to time (like how he was Michael's vessel and all) but mostly it's Sam's journey.
Flag
I thought it was a good episode, not the greatest, but definitely not the weakest. I understand your frustrations with the show, but I have to disagree with you about Dean. He has grown as a person, maybe not in the way that you have hoped but I don't think he is the same guy that he was in Season 1. He has been through too much, traded his soul for his brother's life, fighting countless demons and monsters, being tortured and torturing in Hell, deaths of his Father, Bobby, Ellen and Jo. I don't know about you but drinking excessively and holding on to the only family I have left seems a given. One thing that WILL NEVER change is Dean's love for his brother. Him telling Sam "there is no me without you" pretty much shows you that he will NEVER put ANYONE or ANYTHING before his brother. NEVER. That's how much he means to him, that is one thing that has been constant on this show. It does get frustrating, because Dean does forgo his own happiness for Sam, but that is a choice that he has made time and time again. It won't change, and I wouldn't want it to. Dean's loyalty and love for his brother is one of the reasons I love his character so much.

Not sure how I feel about Sam being possessed by Ezekial, but I am open-minded. I want to like Ezekial, but Angels always end up being Dicks (Dean's favorite word). I will wait and see before I pass judgement. I did like Sam's conversation with Death, and I understand why he would be willing to give it all up and be done with everything. I think Sam truly wanted to die, not because he was ready (though I'm sure he was), but because he thought by dying he would be completing the trials and everyone else would be saved. He has also seemed like he wanted to be done with it all for quite some time. Sam hasn't been the same since he returned from Hell, and I know people don't like that, but reality is how would YOU be if you spent 150 years in Lucifer's cage being tortured by Lucifer and Michael. Death probably can't come quick enough for him. He will embrace it because he can finally be at peace.

I like Castiel, though his constant naivete can be wearing. How many times has Dean told him not to be so trusting. COME ON CAS GET IT TOGETHER! I think it could be fun having Cas as a human. We also have, half-demon Crowley, Abaddon returns, and the Men of Letters is supposed to play a big part of the show this season. Always happy to see Bobby!
More+
Flag
I think it was less naivete on Cas' part this time as overwhealming guilt. He let himself be dupped by Metatron and now he's trying to find a way to make something good out of it and help the angels. He just let his guilt overwhelm everything else. I gotta say the female angel seemed on the level, at first, but as her time on screen past she got more and more Kathy Bates so yeah bad choice but he meant well. :)
Flag
Ok I can go with guilt, so I will give him a pass cause that does sound more plausible then him being that naive.
Flag
Yeah, right now his mission seems to be trying to gather and help the angels cope with their new situation. Of course a lot of them are out for blood (his blood) so it's an added wrinkle. Perhaps next time he will be a bit more careful about who he trusts and how he handles situations.
Flag
My thoughts: I gotta admit, I wasn't too thrilled about the episode until Death showed up. It seemed like a combination of "In My Time of Dying," "The Man Who Knew Too Much," and "Death's Door." A character is on the verge of dying and has an adventure in his head. It's been done to death in this series... UNTIL Death showed up.

Death is a wonderful character. He genuinely doesn't give a crap about human beings because their inconsequential to the big picture, but he's not a dick about it like the Angels are. To have him voluntarily come to Sam (Every episode he's been in up to now has him either summoned or Dean tracking him down) to personally deliver him to the afterlife out of sheer respect and PROMISING Sam that this would be the last time shows just how much Sam has made an impression on him, especially since Sam is supposed to be a microbe to him.

It was nice seeing Bobby again, and him being the shade that wanted Sam to die makes sense as well. Bobby was given an opportunity to go straight to Heaven after Dick shot him, but he turned it down and chose to be a ghost instead. He revealed at the end of the season that he regretted his decision, and distinctly told Sam and Dean that when the time comes and the Reaper shows up, go with the reaper. Bobby being there to let Sam know that this was his time reinforced what he said. Sam didn't have to worry about going to Hell or Purgatory this time, and Death himself being there to escort Sam to his final reward and promising that this would be the last time really did seem to me like Sam was MEANT to die here.

Ezekial is an interesting character. I really don't know if he's truly going to live up to his promise and disappear once Sam is cured or if he's going to renege because Sam is an ideal vessel. Sam's body was meant to house an archangel, so he'd probably be a mansion to a rank and file angel like Zeke: Needs a fixer-upper, but once completed, he'll become to attached to it and decide to live in Sam permanently until Sam eventually cast him out. I have no doubt this will happen by season's end, but Zeke's reaction will be what drives the story.

Cas as a human and his reactions to his new bodily needs kind of confuses me. This isn't the first time Cas has been human. After he sacrificed himself as bait to Zachariah's trap, Cas spent a good week as a human and had to endure hunger, sleepiness, and a LOT of pain. He also was there when Anna got her grace back, so he should've known his powers were gone, since he's exactly like Anna now. So his reactions to pain, hunger, and loss of angel power just makes no sense since Metatron DISTINCTLY told him he'd be living as a powerless human from now on.

Also, to answer the poster's question about why the angels still have their powers after being cut off from Heaven... watch season 5 of Supernatural again. Angels are like computers- their power supply is infinite when they're plugged in, but even when they are unplugged they still have a battery life. Eventually the battery will run out and the angels will become human (like Cas at the end of season 5) which will most likely cause them to become even more angry.

And lastly, Dean's deal with Zeke did KIND OF make sense... Dean and Sam both agreed that they were going to fight the good fight together, and Dean wants to make up for almost letting Sam die. Crowley may be beaten (and possibly reformed) but Abaddon is still loose, and Dean can't handle her alone, and the only hunter these days with half a brain is Sam. Dean NEEDS Sam, at least until Abaddon is beaten and the angels are sent back to Heaven.

All in all, I give this premiere a 7.5 out of 10. It just seems like a rehash of older, better written episodes, but any episode with Death makes it at least watchable, especially since Sam and Dean are the only people Death respects. (Which is a bit odd, since you'd think Death would hate them since they've cheated his reapers numerous times and the last time he was there Dean had him IMPRISONED!)
More+
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members