A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

Supernatural S09E17: "Mother's Little Helper"

A Men of Letters episode marked Misha Collins' first turn behind the Supernatural camera in "Mother's Little Helper," and since we like Misha Collins and we like the Men of Letters stuff, the show gave us a good thing before cutting out for a brief hiatus (the Winchesters return on Tuesday, April 15). However, I'm a little uncomfortable with the motivation for Josie to let herself be possessed by Abaddon. Yes, it was selfless and done out of love and all that, but it also sends an uncomfortable message about the volatile emotions of love-struck women destroying all of the things. Charlie Bradbury was crowned the first "Woman" of Letters upon her admittance to the Winchester inner-circle, but in actuality, the first (that we're aware of so far) was Josie, Abaddon's current ginger meatsuit, back in 1958. It was implied that she faced the usual gauntlet of sexism and reluctance, even from Henry Winchester to an extent, so having Josie be the chink in the Men of Letters' armor that led to their downfall just seemed to reinforce the idea that yup, letting girls into the clubhouse was a bad idea.

I was also a little confused as to what Josie and Henry were actually supposed to be doing at the convent in 1958. The Men of Letters have always been pretty adamant about how they're NOT hunters, that hunters are morons, buffoons, the jocks to their nerd... but what Henry and Josie were up to at St. Boniface's looked a lot like hunting to me. 

WHATEVER. I'm done complaining. "Mother's Little Helper" laid out some mythology and actually managed to be kind of creepy thanks to Collins' attention to the unsettling, especially in the scenes at the convent in the '50s. Even before the body count started rising, as soon as Josie and Henry arrived, I got the sense that something was off, that something wasn't right and that the episode was missing the usual Scooby Doo vibe that Supernatural sometimes (most times) falls prey to, where the most recently introduced character who isn't a victim and who isn't a Winchester is probably the monster. Collins created a creepy atmosphere that wasn't corny. At times, "Mother's Little Helper" felt like a Season 1 or Season 2 episode, something from back when Supernatural actually occasionally freaked me out. 

In the present day, Sam discovered that Abaddon and her little helpers were stealing souls to build a demon army—something that Sammich understandably took kind of personally, given his experience with soullessness. Unfortunately, the humans who lost their souls in Illinois this week responded to their soullessness far less amusingly than Sam (who was actually pretty awesome/hilarious until he let Dean get turned into a vampire) and became Croatoan rejects, lashing out and bashing brains in and generally just causing a bunch of mayhem. 

While Sam did the hunting thing, Dean "researched" the bottom of a whiskey bottle, and then he researched the STD-laden facilities at the local dive bar, and then he convinced a hunter-who-wasn't-a-hunter not to try to shank Crowley in the men's room while the King of Hell shot up in a graffiti-covered stall. This blood addiction story is getting weird. Supernatural's obsession with addiction in different forms, however, is getting interesting. And weird. The addiction parallels worked well with Sam's demon blood arc (until they didn't), but giving both Crowley and Dean their own vices at the same time feels like overkill, especially because the Crowley segment is coming off as a hot mess. Is his human-blood addiction a problem or not? The message last week seemed to be that it is, but not really, considering how much of Crowley's time under the influence was played for kicks. This is the complete opposite of Dean and Sam's issues, where Sam's addiction was treated like the WORST THING EVER pretty much from the beginning and Dean's struggle to get ahold of himself—complete with shakes and stalling and self-medication through the wonder of alcohol—is fascinating, especially given how Dean has long considered himself a paragon of self-control (despite "raging alcoholic" being a definite character trait for at least four seasons now), particularly after his time in hell, where he experienced the ultimate loss of control when he got himself off the rack and started torturing souls. I'm sure that's just one more piece of baggage to add to the pile of awful that comes with bearing the Mark of Cain. I'm so excited to get a Dean story that doesn't suck. Now can we go back to the the bros being besties and not arguing over which brother is the bigger shithead? 

Speaking of besties: LOL Crowley. That whole thing with the fake-hunter test was off, mostly because I'm not sure what Crowley's angle is. Like y'all have pointed out in the comments, Dean didn't stop the hunter in order to save Crowley, he did it to save the presumably inexperienced hunter. Also LOL at the "I'm Dean Winchester." Given how unflattering the Winchesters' reputations are in certain hunting circles, not to mention the fact that they're both officially listed as serial killers to the rest of the world, just announcing that seemed kind of careless. ANYWAY, I agree, Dean wasn't trying to save Crowley, so Crowley getting all warm and fuzzy about it didn't seem to make a lot of sense, unless maybe Dean was acting out of protectiveness for Crowley and the scene just didn't successfully convey that, which could also be the case. 

No new Supernatural for the next few weeks, but when the show returns, we're poised to hit the road with both feet now that Dean and Sam are united (sort of) in their mission to take out Abaddon. It's not a full-reconciliation, but it's a something, and as you're well aware, I'm in the camp that thinks the whole Gadreel thing was nine kinds of effed up and shouldn't just be shoved under the rug with an apology and a season's worth of resentment, so this slow crawl toward forgiveness is okay. I hope to see more progress on that front, as well as some quality BLOODLUST DEAN and maybe a side of Crowley getting his shit together and being written consistently for like, an entire week. See you soon!

CASE NOTES

– Smart Winchester Sighting: Sam pre-recording the exorcism. Given his history of getting choked, gagged, and otherwise silenced during fights, you kind of have to wonder why they didn't think of that sooner. 

– So my cable package sucks and I don't get CW HD, but was Henry driving a 1950s Impala? I tried to read the logo when he drove past, because that would be awesome, but like I said, we're in the dark ages CW-wise up in here. 

What'd you think of "Mother's Little Helper"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

268 Comments
Comments (268)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Okay, everyone is saying Dean is lying.
It's not really lying. I'm sure if you were in his situation, you wouldn't be able to be so open about it either- plus, the Mark of Cain is making him care less about stuff(emotions, he is more blank now for example) and is more focused on the Blade and killing Abaddon. The Cain is making him more colder now. Jensen ackles said Dean is thinking more like 'Okay, human or not ,I will kill you if you get in my way.' Dean was always cautious about killing humans- even when he did, he felt bad. Like how that evil creepy girl and the brother lived in the thing in the basement. Now he even looked like he enjoys killing- like when he killed that dude from the 'Thin Man' episode, he seemed to do it nice and slow.

Dean is going more cold, it's overpowering him I believe. My conclusion- Like Cain killed Abel to send him to heaven and he goes to hell, Dean will do the same with Sam. Maybe Dean will go fully dark sided, or a new knight of hell.. I know I sound crazy- but it's kind of a thought.

And if Sam dies at the end, it's going to be kind of lame. In season 6 when Sam fell into hell and was suppose to die, and the show ended, people were obviously sad it ended that way. If Sam dies again at the end of Supernatural, it will be off.. :\
More+
Flag
So, the de-souled people in town who were still alive got their souls back. What happened to the souls of the de-souled people who were already dead – like the school teacher who committed suicide? Sam released all the souls that were in jars, but wouldn’t have a way of telling which one belonged to her. Her meat suit is dead, so her soul couldn’t go back into it. Did her soul just go into the veil with all the other recently departed?
Flag
The souls would have entered the veil.
Flag
Ermm..do we really care that much? Does it matter do anyone?
Flag
Well, if Abaddon is running similar operations all over the globe and (theoretically) other hunters are finding these souls and "releasing" them, it could mean thousands of new souls trapped in the veil -- i.e. thousands more vengeful spirits going insane and creating mayhem. If something even worse happens to these souls, like they return to Abaddon anyway and become demons, that could mean she is successfully building an army of demons on Earth which probably won't end well for anyone. So yeah -- this could matter just a little bit.
Flag
That's too interesting and too much interconnection between plot points. So,you know, forget about it.
Flag
The episode was pretty good, well given how the previous few eps have been a letdown overall that is. A few things though: I don't get it, Josie let herself get possessed, but it's not like Abbadon couldn't just kill her and take Henry. Also why would abbadon leave Henry alone without putting one of her demons in him to increase the chances of victory? Just a few strange stuff there.
Anyway as for Josie, damn that sucks being a vessel to a knight of hell. I know the show doesn't really touch upon what happens to the vessels of the people that were possessed by a demon, angel, etc, but I kinda hope the possessed isn't still trapped in their own body the way the first meg was and had to live thru all the evil the demon did in their bodies. So I kinda hope there's a way to save Josie. She sacrificed herself and doesn't deserve a pointless death.
I hate these long breaks. What is it that the Cw airs that they have to hold the final eps over? They had a bunch of fillers would it kill them to air more of the episodes that dealt with the current storylines sooner? I don't want to see repeats of previous episodes that i have seen already. If they need to reair past eps, then air them on the weekend when almost everyone else reairs their first run eps.
More+
Flag
Erm... Isn't it pretty well established that people who are possessed are more or less aware of their surroundings, just trapped inside with no way to influence things?
We've had the boys possessed and feeling bad about it afterwards, we had the serial killer who had once been possessed and wanted his demon co-habitor back, etc., etc.
And angelic vessels remember.
Occasionally they seem to be completely oblivious, but I think that would have to be a conscious choice on the demon's part, to leave them out of it.
To have the meatsuit awake and aware and suffering through everything the body does must be icing on the cake for the demon; they LOVE tormenting people.

So yeah, I think Josie at least started out aware. I also think that whatever part of her that was sane and human is probably long gone.
Also, I can't QUITE remember what happened when she was resurrected - when Cas was brought back from destruction I believe his vessel was rebuilt, rather than restored, i.e. his host Jimmy Novak was finally dead and free - it's possible that New!Abaddon is a similar construct, no longer containing a human soul.
Flag
ok, fair points. I really started watching regularly from season3 and started watching a little of season 1 and 2.
hem, good point about abbadon, i would probably buy that josie was freed when the vessel was destroyed and then rebuilt. Though it kinda makes the events of this episode meaningless about josie sacrificing herself if only abbadon remains. So given the inconsistencies i can't quite say for sure if josie is really gone. Also is it possible for a demon to merge with the vessel's soul? shrugs. Just so many questions... my main point is i don't want the guys to just gut abbadon at the end and that's it. I think josie if as a spirit or somewhere inside shows up at the end would make her death/redemption more meaningful than another victim.
Flag
also as for cas, i believe the vessel jimmy chose to sacrifice his soul so that his daughter would be saved (trade his soul for her return). So in that case jimmy chose to leave his body for cas to use freely.
Flag
Not that it's a 100% ironclad, but I found this page on Jimmy Novak which makes a case for Jimmy still being in there, although they DO make it clear that it's possible the human soul of the host was allowed to depart at some point during one of the MANY times that the vessel and "guest" was destroyed.
http://www.supernaturalwiki.com/index.php?title=Jimmy_Novak
Flag
i forgot to add - maybe Dean will not let the power of the blade control him. He will be the one to have full control of the blade and his actions - like Cain.

Flag
Caine served as a warlord and commander for Hell, killing untold numbers. While it points to him being able to aim his homicidal urges, I'm not sure that counts as having "full control".
Flag
just a thought.

Since Dean seems to be aware of the adverse consequences of the blade, maybe instead of the whole thing playing out like a junkie as Crowley suggested in the episode, Dean will embrace it like Cain did. Cain had lot of power I suppose because of MOC, yet he had full control over them. He stopped hunting when he fell in love, threw the blade in the deepest part of the ocean. He lived a quiet, though isolated, life.

Maybe the MOC story will make Dean a special hunter, but (hopefully) not a full fledged Knight of Hell.
Flag
Caine was ONLY able to stop slaughtering in Hell's name BECAUSE he fell in love, i.e. found something strong enough to override the drive of the blade.
I'm not sure Dean has something like that right now - he's managed incredible things out of love for his brother in the past, but their relationship isn't the strongest and most stable right now...
Flag
[Celine Dion's Power of Love plays in the background]
Flag
Special hunter Dean. Very interesting.
Flag
It wasn't a impala. It was a Chrysler Imperial.
Flag
Everyone notice how easily Dean slipped back into lying to Sam? He isn't going to stop doing it, and Sam knows it.
Flag
Well, you could also look at it from a different perspective - what exactly has Sam done lately to deserve Dean to confide in him or even share anything even remotely personal (like the need to take a break from research, have a beer, shoot some pool and try to forget his shitty life and MOC for a couple of hours)?

Sam's been slamming doors in his face for weeks, refusing to talk to him, sending verbal jabs his way every chance he got and basically broke his heart with his "I wouldn't save you" speech. So, you could say that Sam basically got what he wanted - a strictly business relationships (and the consequences that go along with it). Cause I don't know about you, but I sure don't share my innermost thoughts and fears with my 'business associates' or feel the need to explain what I do on my time to them :-)

Flag
I agree with you that Sam was being very cut off to Dean and broke his heat. I understand why Sam is upset with Dean but work it out boys. I did see that Sam is getting worried about Dean. The comment "be safe" was Sam being worried.
Flag
I know a lot of fans want them to just make up and go back to business as useal but that is exactly why this pattern keeps repeating in the first place. If they are ever going to get to a point where this isn't going to keep being an issaue over and over again they need to REALLY deal with the issues, which is going to take time, and not just quick fix it just to make up. Just hang in there, the end result is going to make up for it.
Flag

Hey, I finally figured out the hair!
Flag
Sam is That Girl. Now it all makes sense. :)
Flag
Sam's hair is always entertaining.
Flag
Just hope things to get really bad and effed up by the end of this season and that CW gives the show a nice and done series finale on the next one!
Flag
"...but it also sends an uncomfortable message about the volatile emotions of love-struck women destroying all of the things"

Oh come on. What exactly did it destroy? If she didn't volunteer herself, Abaddon would have just possessed Henry and probably killed Josie (or had some other demon possess her), and then used Henry's body to destroy the Men of Letters from the inside. In the grand scheme of things it makes no difference whether it was Henry or Josie. Not everything is a gender issue.
Flag
that's true and as I know someone else pointed out here (know I read it somewhere) it's more likely she did it for Henry's family as much (if not more) than just him. Sure she loved him and he was part of the reason but not all. It's no different than all the other heroic sacrifices other characters have made in the show. Maybe they shouldn't have clouded the issue with the love thing.
Flag
Its got to the point where I'm always worried before watching a new episode in case it sucks and blows. I'm very happy to say I enjoyed Mother's Little Helper more than any other recent episode. At first I thought it was just treading old ground but then it got interesting and actually had dramatic tension and some much missed spookiness esp. when approaching the old convent and Jenny O'Hara was excellent.
Flag
I seem to have either missed some of what you saw or read it differently. Josie offering herself to Abaddon in place of Henry came just after the whole conversation about his wife and son and Josie not having a family.. I didn't see it as stupid stuff from a lovesick women but the kind of noble sacrifice that most male hero/leads would have made.

I didn't see any issue with the Dean/Crowley/Hunter scene, Dean would have stepped in and saved a rookie hunter anyway but he still needs Crowley to get the blade back. As for what Crowley's planning.. the besties line was just the usual banter and didn't see it as having any serious meaning.

For gods sake get the brothers sorted out... this distance and separation has been repeated too many times...and I know we all hope its going to end differently and finally this time...but until that's proven then we're still just stuck in the same horrible place.
Flag
I gotta disagree. I get this sinking feeling that Crowley has some nasty plans for Dean once Abaddon is dropped. Knowing him he knows exactly what effect the Mark of Cain is going to have on him and is set to twist it to his advantage. That's why I wish they would kill him BEFORE Abaddon, but they won't and it will blow up in their faces as normal.
Flag
What's that you say? Misogyny from a Hollywood TV series? You don't say. While perhaps a little subtle (very little), it's pretty unmistakable. Josie gave up her life because she has a bit of a crush on her married partner and ol' Sister What's Her Face was too weak to tell the truth about Abbadon YEARS after the fact. {shrug} I suppose far worse offenses have been made.

"So my cable package sucks and I don't get CW HD, but was Henry driving a 1950s Impala?"

It was indeed. That made me chuckle.

Speaking of chuckle, I'd be happy with 42 minutes straight of The Dean & Crowley Show. It's really gonna suck when those two go back to being enemies again. Unless of course, as I think will be the case, Crowley knows what sort of adverse reaction using the first blade has. And while his little test was indeed ridiculous and told him nothing...it doesn't mean there won't be an opportunity to turn Dean to the dark side and make Supernatural the BEST BUDDY COP...err...DEMON SHOW EVER!!!
Flag
I agree, Dean and Crowley together would be awesome. I really don't want to have another Crowley as the big bad again. Season 6 and 8 were not that great. He's fairly powerful, but he didn't have the screen presence as the big bad. He works better as the anti-hero against a truly evil big bad like lucifer or abbadon. For a season about killing Abbadon [after they easily took her down in one episode] they've been dragging this storyline for too long and having a bunch of fillers as if nothing was going on.
As for the bar scene, if Crowley was 'touched' that dean won't let someone try to kill him, then that is funny. I would buy that more than if it was supposed to be a 'test'.
On an unrelated note, it's nearly the end of the season, where's the alpha vamp? He said he'd 'see them next season'. that was near the end of season 7, its is almost the end of season 9. If they weren't going to return back to that vamp, why throw in that line? I'm sure they could fit him into one ep with all the fillers they had this season.
More +
Flag
The guy who plays him went on to be Bonnie's dad on TVD. After that, who knows where he went.
Flag
oh ok. yeah, but it's not like he can't do one ep. I would imagine they could've fit their schedule around that actor and make it a stand alone. This season it seems they are wrapping up the ghostfacers, garth, and kevin characters. at this point i don't see how he'd make any sense for season 10 if that is the last season.
Flag
I was entertained by this episode and I especially sort of appreciated that Sam of course was going to go about a hunt on his own differently and that he was actually in the police station for a large majority of the time and not trying to break in or whatnot.

I don't know what kind of car that was but it was supposed to look enough like the Impala that the older lady staring at Sam could also sort of see Henry and perhaps be feeling the same sense of dread that she did when she watched Henry leave with Abaddon. And randomly, Henry is so cute. I don't really blame Josie for feeling that way. And, well, it was 1958 and at least Henry was catching himself on his thoughtless misogynistic comments that clearly didn't come from any sort of Josie you don't belong vibe. I mean, clearly she was probably the only one he trusted fully. Which makes the fact of what happened soon after this just that much sadder, in the nothing good happens to those who associate with the Winchesters thing.

My tv description said Crowley was putting Dean through trials. And now, apparently he is ready. I actually am not even sure what he would be ready for let alone what the test actually proved (I mean, Dean wasn't going to let Crowley die before he got the blade back, it doesn't mean he is his bestie). I mean, is he ready to just accept the blade and really go after Abaddon or does Crowley have some idea that he could turn Dean into the leader of his own Knight of Hell thing, like what Cain was supposed to be. That is the closest thing that I can figure that benefits Crowley in any way.
More+
Flag
i kind of thought the point of the fake hunter trying to take on crowley was some sort of way to wake up dean that he should man up and go hunt abbadon again. but i guess it could have been some sort of weird connection between dean and crowley instead..it wasn't very clear.
Flag
I suspect it was a test to see if he would side with the hunter or not. Don't know why he would feel the need to test that but whatever.
Flag
Like the episode,finally supernatural are getting back to their old track of way locking their fans,
Flag
Dean not telling Sam about the whole blade impact on him - should it be called lying? I don't know. Maybe now Dean just considers Sam as a hunter and not a brother, with whom he has to share anything.

and I think he did want to share. i maybe wrong but didn't he dial Crowley's number before he disconnected and went to the bar?

There is always Cas with whom Dean can share. This episode made one thing clear - Dean is keeping and emotional distance from Sam.
Flag
Jensen Ackles said that the mark is making him more 'colder' and he said if anyone gets in his way, he will kill them. Human or not. Thats why he can kill people so easily now, without even caring. It said that with the mark of cain is making him care less about emotions, like Sam being mad and stuff and he just focuses on killing Abbadon. I woudn't say 'lying,' but the cain is also affecting him. It's so powerful it's not something he can really control
Flag
Dean not telling Sam about the whole blade impact on him - should it be called lying?

I wouldn't call it lying -- yet. Dean is still trying to sort out what's going on, and if he doesn't think Sam can do anything about it, it may delay his mentioning anything. Remember how long it took him to open up about hell? He's not a share-my-feelings kind of guy, anyway. I think he'll tell Sam very soon -- especially if he thinks his new feelings/powers might be putting Sam in danger.

I agree with everything else you said. Great points and good evidence that Dean is really struggling with this whole MOC thing. I hope Cas comes back soon --Dean seems to have an easier time telling things to Cas than to Sam. Let's hear it for unconditional love...
Flag
Okay Dean was the one who was so out of sorts when Sam hid the effects of the trial on HIM and now Dean is in a similar situation and he's doing the same thing. Once again the Winchester hypocrisy: Do as I say, not as I do. Don't lie to me although I will lie to you. They all do it and they shouldn't.
Flag
Okay so it's okay to lie and keep secrets if you just do it for a little while? Okay then. Somehow I doubt Dean would feel that way if the shoe was on the other foot. He pretty much comes off like he expects to be told everything instantly at all times (another thing that rightly annoys Sam to no end). I find it funny how much slack Dean fans want to cut him while, at the same time, not giving Sam an inch.

Don't take this the wrong way, dude, but you're either the most honest and open guy on the planet or quite judgmental - or perhaps just a die-hard "Sam fan"?

Well, I'm neither a "Dean fan" nor a "Sam fan", and I honestly don't see what Dean is doing re MoC right now as lying. First of all because, let's face it, Sam wanted a "business only" relationship and Sam got it (you don't confide to your business associates, as someone else quite eloquently put it somewhere in the comments here), and second of all, do YOU run to your family or friends with ALL of your fears and worries the MOMENT they strike you or do you take some time to process things, try to work them out on your own and only THEN, if it's really something you cannot figure out for yourself or if it starts
affecting others, you ask for help?! Besides, I don't think Dean himself is fully aware yet of what exactly MoC is doing to him.

Not to mention the fact that Dean was never share your feelings or even admit-your-fears type of guy... and don't we all know it. So, do you REALLY expect him to run to Sam right away, especially after the way Sam has been slamming doors in his face lately?!

So yeah, what Sam was doing WAS lying (although I cannot really fault him for it because he did it believing he was protecting his brother and it's not like anyone could do anything about it anyway), and if Dean continues to keep the effects of MoC a secret until he manages to kill Abaddon and Cain (as was the deal), that WILL BE lying but again, as the same rules apply here as in Sam's case, I cannot in all honesty say I'll hold it against him either.
More +
Flag
(see below) Dean kept information that very well might have spared Kevin's life but kept it to himself. Dean said Kevin didn't need to worry and that Dean would take care of it. Had Kevin known that Gadreel was possessing Sam, he probably would've survived...

None of that matters, because Kevin was a dead man regardless of anything Dean said or did, and regardless of anything Kevin knew or didn't know. Metatron wanted Kevin dead and he wanted all future prophets eliminated because prophets pose a threat to his plan. PERIOD. He said that himself. Gadreel was a convenient weapon, but Metatron would have found Kevin and killed him anyway. Dean would not have been able to hide or protect Kevin – ESPECIALLY without help from Castiel or Sam, who would both be dead; don’t forget, Gadreel resurrected Castiel and saved Sam at least twice, while simultaneously healing him, as he had agreed to do. So, Dean would have been alone trying to deal with this issue and everything else happening in this season. Dean had no way of knowing Gadreel posed a threat to Kevin, and even if he had, he wouldn’t have had a way to save Kevin.
We may have to agree to disagree about this one.

More +
Flag
Did you all forget about how Kevin met his demise? Dean kept information that very well might have spared Kevin's life but kept it to himself. Dean said Kevin didn't need to worry and that Dean would take care of it. Had Kevin known that Gadreel was possessing Sam, he probably would've survived. But Dean knows everything apparently. This is going to bite him in the ass, but we all know that already, don't we?

Also, Cain *did* murder his brother. The price of the Mark of Cain may very well be fratricide.
Flag
Okay Dean was the one who was so out of sorts when Sam hid the effects of the trial on HIM and now Dean is in a similar situation and he's doing the same thing. Once again the Winchester hypocrisy:...

Sorry, but I have to disagree. Sam was COUGHING UP BLOOD for months and hiding it from Dean. In contrast, Dean has only been truly feeling the effects of the blade for a few days (it seems). The shaky hands and other stuff is relatively new. I don't think there's anything wrong with sorting his feelings out just a little bit before he tells Sam. I don't think he'll wait a long time because he knows secrets have caused recent problems with their relationship. I also am pretty sure Sam knows something isn't right and will confront Dean about it soon, anyway. Dean is not stupid and he doesn't want to lose Sam forever -- let's cut the guy some slack and be a little patient...
Flag
Okay so it's okay to lie and keep secrets if you just do it for a little while? Okay then. Somehow I doubt Dean would feel that way if the shoe was on the other foot. He pretty much comes off like he expects to be told everything instantly at all times (another thing that rightly annoys Sam to no end). I find it funny how much slack Dean fans want to cut him while, at the same time, not giving Sam an inch.
Flag
Maybe you're done complaining but I sure as heck don't ;)

I was so annoyed I almost give up entirely on this show.
Guess what? Yet AGAIN for the 9th season in a row, one of the brothers is holding up a secret that will have serious consequences later. Dean is going through the exact same thing Sam did with the trials, or with the blood lust or the soulless or whatever.

Gosh darn it it's been 9 seasons and you still can't come up with an original idea?!?

And once again, Supernatural throws something that nobody ever heard of before and is suddenly all over the place. First even the almighty Sam and Dean Winchester never heard of men of letters and now they are everywhere... Just like how they made a huge thing about Purgatory and suddenly anyone can easily go there.

Sorry, but this show is becoming a predictable snoozefest.
Flag
Lol, true. It's the Campbell situation all over again.

The Audience and the Winchesters: Who dafuck are the Campbells?
Pulled from the writers' collective ass: Why they are the most legendary hunter family of all time!!! Everybody knows about them, duh. There are songs in their honor! They came on the motherfucking Mayflower!! Pilgrim Hunters, bitches! BBQ!Mary was of their mighty clan, before she forgot or something.
Dubious Audience and the Winchesters: Alright, I'll go with it. This could open up so many possibil---
WCA: Nevermind! Forget that even happened. Look something shiny! It's Cas! Hey Cas! We forgot about you for 18 out of 22 episodes *shrug*
Audience: This is nonsensical bullshit, even for this show...
WCA: Would you like some REhash with that whine? The boys keeping secrets and breaking up and making up and fighting ghosts while simultaneously ignoring a nefarious big bad trying to kill them and take over the world, until the last three eps of the season??
Audience: .........
Flag
Maybe it's like when you get pregnant, and all of a sudden you start noticing pregnant women everywhere :P
Flag
They may not have heard the name or known about their connection to it but they MAY have heard hints or something. Still, I don't recall them working on cases based on events in the 50's so there wouldn't be any reason for them to have found anything.
Flag
You know i am so tired about the endless fight between the brothers. It is only getting worse, till something horrible happens to one of them and the other has to save him again and then suddenly they are besties again...enough...
Don't get me wrong, love supernatural but come on...i mean..you are non stop with eachother. Talk, kick each others ass and get on with it.
Loved the whole non being a demon thing...who would have thought. Loved also how they showed how Abadon, became they way she is...
The whole soulstealing idea is pretty creepy...can you imagine??
Flag
Good point about Dean introducing himself. A lot of hunters would love to have Sam and Dean's heads on pikes.
Flag
Not to mention, why is it that the brothers can still pretend to be law enforcement? I mean, there was a straight-up nation-wide manhunt for them at one point, where they were on ALL THE TELEVISIONS. lol
Flag
There was but they were both publically and legally declared dead again so it word would've gotten out and no one would be looking anymore.
Flag
LOL! I'm also pretty sure the FBI would make them both shave and make Sam cut his hair. Let's hear it for poetic license :)
Flag
Ha! That could be the cliffhanger for this season: Sam screaming as his hair is cut. Then, in S10, he is dealing with his short hair.
Flag
Now I'm totally confused about the smoke colors. The demons last night had red smoke, like Crowley. And the demon possessed nun possessed the future Abaddon to be with red smoke. But present day Abaddon has black smoke while Crowley's is red. This just can't be a mistake by the writers. There has to be some significance to the smoke colors.
Flag
Are you sure? I just watched the episode again and saw only black smoke.
Flag
When Sam pulled out the phone and started playing the recording I knew that moment that it would show up in the review as a smart Winchester sighting.
Flag
It's not the first time they did it. Back in season 3, Sam and Dean played a recording of an exorcism in a police station. Getting rid of all the demons.

Frankly, I have no idea why don't people just play it on the airwaves everywhere in a loop.
Flag
Um, like who? Also, all the radios would have to be tuned to it 24/7. That all seems very unlikely.
Flag
Quite frankly, I still laugh every time they pretend people don't know about magic in this world. I mean you'd expect people to actually spray their houses with protective sigils and place exorcisms as background music.

But leaving that aside, I meant Sam and Dean and all the other hunters. Why everytime they bust into a demon lair (after they are done sneaking around) they don't just press play?

Heck, at the very least, put a tape with it in your car and blast full volume.

As I said to another comment, in a movie it's a nice trick. On a tv show you will ask yourself constantly every episode why don't they do it again.
Flag
As I said, they can't say they haven't thought of it yet when they did it in season 3...
Flag
Yeah I re-read the post and got what you meant now (my bad). Not sure why they don't do that really maybe they just haven't thought of it yet or needed to. :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
How's that? It's not like "Buffy" or "Angel" where monsters look like monsters. We don't have scaley demons waking the streets in the open. The only people who see anything either die or have reasons to keep their mouths shut. There's no reason for the general population as a whole to know anything is going on.
Flag
This episode (season) is strange.

First the good.

Henry. I really like Henry for some reason. I think maybe it's because he is so different from the rest of Winchesters, I wish the spin off had been about him and the MOL instead of this tribe nonsense*.

Sam acting like Sam. From the beginning to the end of the episode, no whining, just the right level of annoyance and exacerbation with Dean, heroism, curiosity, everything. I think this is the most "Sam" we've seen Sam all season, at least consistently for 43 mins.

As much as I don't like to see Dean fall back into old (and resolved) habits. His drinking makes sense. With everything he's been through, I think it's inline with his character. However, the moping part I could do without. Drinking is old hat for Dean, he's a quite capable drunk, and even though he's drinking again it shouldn't be while at a bar sulking. Drink and work Dean.

P.S I would have preferred to seem him testing himself (his rage addiction) against monsters rather than flipping through books.

Some things I don't get (like?).

Abbadon is stealing souls…. we've already established how dangerous and difficult it is to pop souls. Now suddenly any demon can do it? I like the idea of Abbadon manufacturing her army, but corruption should be her thing. If demons can pop souls like it's nothing, what is the point of hell?

Also when Sam was walking around with no soul he didn't instantly become a raging psychopath. So what the hell with the people in this town?

Floaty seemingly sentient souls travelling back to their bodies and then cramming themselves down people's throats…. ya that didn't work for me. Remember what it was like when Death gave Sam his soul back? (in his chest, not down his throat). It was raw and painful and affecting. Everything we have seen about souls in the last 8 seasons of the show has been the exact opposite of what we saw in this episode. They are both fragile and insanely powerful, they can be corrupted into ghosts and demons and they are hugely affecting. They don't float prettily into a cell, down someones throat and act like a valium. FAIL.

As much as I love Abbadon/Josie (and I do) everything about her in the episode rang false for me. But MaryAnn already touched on it and couple other people in the comments so I won't rehash.

Where is Cas? I understand the desire to not have such a powerful answer to all the Winchester's problems. But they need to at least establish an acceptable reason for him to not be around. They've written around his omnipotence before.

Also one last thing… why didn't the demon choking out Sam, use TK to crush the phone or push it out the window. We've seen demons stuck in a devil trap overcome and use their powers. A demon that's been buddy buddy with a Knight of Hell should know better.

More+
Flag
She IS a knight of Hell I would think that would indicate knowledge and abilities far beyond the run of the mill demon.
Flag
Maybe the reason Sam's soul could not float back to him #1 because it was trapped in hell-not like one could open up a jar and let it free and #2 Sam's soul was severely damaged from being in the cage with Michael and Lucifer. The people in this episode had their souls kept 'safe'. As for the souls returning not causing pain-I'm not sure. Perhaps because it was forcibly removed and they were returning to where they belonged and there was no other damage to them? As far as I remember Sam is the only character to have his soul forced back into his body while others have had their souls touched by Cas (Bobby and that kid who bought the staff from the angel that looks like Chef Ramsey). That would be painful because an outside force messing with your soul as opposed to the soul doing it on its own accord-kind of like the difference between naturally losing a tooth and having it extracted.

Flag
You're right Sam's soul was damaged, so maybe I can accept that as part of the reason for the pain but I still don't buy the floaty valium effect of it returning, and I'm not sure I agree with the tooth analogy because there is no natural way for a soul to separate from your body other than death.

It's not that I needed them to be screaming in pain, just that I expected it to be more affecting. Passing out, an extreme moment of emotion or confusion, just something that amounted to more than a soft sigh.

I find Supernatural (especially in the later seasons) seems to rewrite itself instead of expanding it's mythologies. The way we look at souls in this episode isn't necessarily wrong, but it doesn't connect with what we've seen before. They've been doing this quite a bit lately, they give us new information, and it can be fun and or interesting, but it doesn't quite fit with what they've shown us before.

An example of them getting it right was the expanding backstory of Mary Winchester. Finding out that she was a hunter was nuts, but when you look at what they'd shown us of her personality and John's jump from family man to hunter, it made sense.

An example of them getting it wrong was the coyote reapers in Taxi Driver. This wasn't expanding our understanding of them, it was completely changing it to fit the narrative of the story. Can you imagine Tessa moonlighting as a cab driver and eating pizza? And if purgatory was so easy to get into, why was Crowley torturing Alpha's?

Anyway I'm digressing. The point is that souls seems to be a very large part of the puzzle of this show. I just want all the pieces to fit together as best as possible.

More +
Flag
Their souls were unnaturally ripped out of them so yeah THAT hurt and was bad but their return was restoring things to the natural order so yeah it was more calm and probably a relief more than anything (like taking a deep breath after holding it for a long time).

No, Tessa wouldn't because she's a rules follower and the one we saw here wasn't.

It's probably way easier to get an Alpha than a Reaper and, even more likely, the Reapers didn't start doing this until later and might not have even know how to get there until then.
Flag
Well, I could easily explain it by saying it might have to do with the process of how Abadon extracted the souls. But turth is? I would be trying to explain stuff the writers just didn't think about because you are right.

They are constantly rewriting themselves. The purgatory example is the best one and I gave it as well in another thread here.

Another one is the men of letters. Nobody heard of them - suddenly they are everywhere!

Anna losing her grace was nothing like Castiel losing his grace.

And I could go on.
Flag
I thought they did. When have they not?
Flag
No two situations are ever exactly the same and from a storytelling standpoint it would be kind of boring if they were.

Would you really have wanted Cas reborn as a baby and takes years (we don't have) for him to grow up and re-learn who and what he is?
Flag
great analysis!
Flag
I agree. Excellent points, Rebecca!
Flag
I'll answer your last question easily: Because this show has terrible action scenes.

It's the same reason why demons keep shoving people into walls and such with TK instead of breaking their necks. Biggest offensive point on that one was last season finale where Abaddon randomly tossed Sam while having a chat with Crowly for no reason what so ever.
Flag
Would you really want them to constently breaking Sam and Dean's necks and have Cas (or someone) keep brining them back. It would get old very, very fast.
Flag
Ohhhh, such a great episode!!!!
Flag
an episode worth watching again.

actually the way Dean explained to Sam why he was not "obsessed" but "doing his job" itself put the whole episode in a different category altogether. suddenly we have dean who is not at the beck and call of sam.

but kind of missed their hunting together.

the fun, the jokes, having each others back - that was great hunting.
Flag
btw: alaina did some serious acting in this episode. one of her better
appearances on television. i kinda disliked her since SG:U, but starting to grow on her ;D
Flag
So, regardless of the reason Josie sacrificed herself, the end result was pretty shitty for all those involved. She didn't really save Henry, as he ended up not getting to raise his son & be with his wife.. and eventually he ended up dead.. Although arguably if Josie hadn't done what she did, then Abaddon may have killed Henry's wife and John and then there would be no S&D! Either way, Josie got the shit end of the stick..but I guess she did what she felt was right...even if it did result in the deaths of almost every member of the MofL..
Flag
After this episode i asked myself how often the boys stumbled into man of letters cases in the past and didn't even know about it.
Flag
Misha should def be directing again, you are completely right in that we didn't have the usual scooby doo vibe. Personally, the show stopped freaking me out after Season 5. (Death scared the shit out of me)
Flag
I don't get the review. What's the deal MaryAnn?

First of all, the show has been on for so long and I can't exactly remember ALL of the self-sacrifices made but the one that's still fresh in my mind is Ellen and Jo. THEY BOTH DIED IN ORDER TO SAVE DEAN AND SAM. Did you have a problem back then? (serious question because I can't remember that far back or did someone else review the series?)

Anyway ... my point is this - A lot of people have died in order for the Winchesters (Sam and Dean) to live. How is this any different?
Flag
I had a problem with how Ellen, not so much lousy Jo, died. It was a stupid death. It was poignant, but still really, really stupid. It was a borderline mentally handicap Winchester plan at its worst and Ellen and Jo, who hadn't been under the influence of the Winchester/Bobby particular brand of bad plans in some time didn't provide any objectivity. They just jumped on the bandwagon and died. And yes, they threw in that Jo/Dean smooch like it was supposed to make the sacrifice more noble. Oh, what could have been? Oh, Dean finally sees her as a desirable woman. Jo's unrequited childhood crush on Dean is finally returned, but now she's dead! It's okay that these two lady hunters bought it in essentially a useless poorly thought out scrimmage because the more important Winchester men were saved and they can brood about them for an ep or two!

Lest you think I'm hung up on preceived gender ills. I have an equal problem with how Rufus died too. As well as Gabriel. Though their deaths aren't tinged with (thwarted) romantic undertones.
Flag
I don't think Josie did it JUST out of her love and attraction for Henry. Shortly before that moment, they had the moment between them where he brings up that he has a family and she doesn't. I think that probably weighed heavily on her decision to sacrifice herself in his place as well. She knew had a wife and his son John at home. Josie was being selfless, I get where she was coming from. People have done it on the show numerous times for Sam and Dean and they don't have wives or children at home. I do see your point Chris.
Flag
I would have bought that interpretation if they hadn't had that last exchange right before possession.

AbaNun: He loves you too!
Josie perks up: Really?!
AbaNun: Haha, like a sister! Oh, burrrrrrn!
Flag
Demons are known to mess with people. I took it as nothing more than that.
Flag
I don't believe that whether or not she actually had feelings for him would make her sacrifice any less noble. I still think the conversation they had just moments before that weighed heavily on her decision, feelings or no feelings. His family and her feelings could both have been contributing factors, either way, I believe her sacrifice wasn't as foolish and naive as some people are making it out to be. I am still sticking by his family being a strong contributing factor to her decision, feelings or no feelings.
Flag
What does that have to do with Josie's reaction? Sure the demon was messing with her, but JOSIE got excited that Henry may have returned her feelings. Seriously. They undercut her noble sacrifice with unrequited romantic BS.

If they had left the line out, we could all choose to interpret that she sacrificed herself because she deemed Henry more important than herself due to his earlier blathering about his family or just because she was a self-sacrificing badass who was looking out for her friend.
Flag
Smartphone exorcism. Underline smart!
Flag
you need an exorcism, there is an app for that.
Flag
the speed base of the episode was a little too slow.

I love Dean Winchester but seriously drinking! AGAIN!

Abaddon meat suite was a woman of letters?! who choose to be obsessed ... whatever to save a Winchester and something about women's dignity.
But wait a minute I thought men of letters are better than hunters and at least they have protection spell or "tattoos" to never be possessed. no wonder they r extinct.

I loved the old lady who helped Sam. Anyone noticed that she played the devil in the movie "Devil". I thought she is going to be a bad guy

At least there were arch story going on. An army obedient to Abaddon is a clever move of her. Crowley what are you doing man beside waiting for a human "Dean" to find her for you!

I can't hate the Winchesters but please writers don't fail us.
Flag
Yeah, can anyone explain this to me? What's the deal with "finding" Abaddon?
Don't demons teleport all the time?!?

When it comes to angels\demons I guess it's decent since they can block the teleport or track it down. But Sam and Dean are humans. What's the point?
Flag
exactly my point... I mean they are hunters, but most of the time they did hunt creatures not demons or angels.
beside the fact that Abaddon can teleport, she can stay at one place, hell, and Dean won't be able to get there either.
I think if Dean is working on a spell to summon a knight of hell, that would make sense. specially all Dean is searching in books and papers.

Flag
Isn't that what they're searching the old books and papers for? It's not like her current location is going to be in a 1,000 year old book. Either a summoning spell, a locator spell or something to trap her somewhere so Dean can kill her.
Flag
Well, for the record, they can go to hell. They rescued Bobby and Kevin's mom from there
Flag
they have Crowley but from what he said he can't get into hell anymore himself. Dean told him to go to Hell and he said "If only". Which I took to mean that he can't or that if he did he would be in grave danger. Anyway, I doubt she's in Hell so much as army building and recruiting on Earth.
Flag
Not to nit-pick further, but Kevin's mom wasn't in hell -- she was in a storage container in Kansas...
You're right about Bobby, though.
Flag
Totally, agree. It was just a nitpick ;)
Flag
but my point is that they have Crowley ...
Flag
Like others, I had less of a problem with Josie's sacrifice because, in spite of Abaddon's taunting, I didn't really get that she did because she personally had feelings for him, but because he had a family and, as Henry sort of tactlessly pointed out earlier, she didn't.

It was a little weird to me that she didn't try to fight at all - Sam or Dean certainly would have gone down fighting, instead of just accepting, okay, one of us is getting possessed here - but then, they're not Hunters, they're (Wo)Men of Letters - it's possible Josie doesn't really know how to fight very well. Which sort of makes me wonder why they were there in the first place, but maybe they thought they would just be taking notes, and not actually coming up against demons.
Flag
Anyway Misha did an excellent job on his first time behind the camera. One could really get to dislike these good looking multi talented actors! (Not).
Great job Misha!

Flag
Hi MaryAnn the car most likely a special edition 1956 Chrysler Crown Imperial Limousine. Sorry not an impala. Nice idea though.

undefined

The 1956 Chevy impala looked like this.

undefined

Somewhat less impressive.

Flag
Depends on they eye of watcher...each has their own taste...
Flag
Josie did what she did for two reasons: 1) the man had a family who needed him, and 2) maybe she felt that out of the two of them, she would stand a better chance since she volunteered.

For the rest of the episode, Dean was not having pity party. Usually, it's Sam who has this type of problem. Now, however, it's his turn, and he doesn't really know what to do.
Flag
Great episode! Really enjoyable! Hope we get more like this one. I didn't know Misha Collins was directing, He did an excellent job. And I don't think Josie sacrificed herself coz she had a crush on Henry but more coz Henry had a family to take care of and she didn't.
Flag
I really liked this episode. I thought it did a great job of mixing the season's story arch with a good ol' hunting trip episode.

Also, why is everyone getting worked up over Josie sacrificing herself to Abbadon to save Henry? It never crossed my mind that she did it entirely out of her unrequited love for him. If anything, I thought she did it because he had a FAMILY - a son and a wife who needed him. We don't know her whole story, sure, but it was made pretty obvious that Josie didn't have a child or husband or parents. From what Henry said and how he stopped himself from finishing his sentence, I assumed that something terrible and supernatural had happened to her family and that's how she got involved with the Men of Letters in the first place. Perhaps she saw Henry, her partner, the man she loves but cannot have because he has a family he is devoted to, slumped on the ground and about to be possessed and thought "He has a family and I don't. His family needs him. His son needs him." And then she allowed herself to be possessed. Did anyone think about that? Maybe she even thought she could fight the demon from the inside, perhaps come up with a way to defeat it before it could hurt anyone else. The Men of Letters were all about knowledge, right? I can't think of a better piece of knowledge that would prove she belonged with the Men of Letters than figuring out how to fight a demon if it possesses you. Or maybe she knew that if anyone could figure out a way to defeat the demon, it would be Henry, so it would be better if he was in control of himself and not possessed.

What bothers me the most is that people assume (without any evidence more than perhaps one line of dialogue that could be interpreted in a number of ways) that any decision or sacrifice made by a woman on a TV show is motivated solely by her love for another character and not because she believes it's the right thing, and then this assumption is used as a basis for complaints.
More+
Flag
Amen! I couldn't have said it better! People freak out a little too much if they smell even the slightist possible hint of sexism.
Flag
Don't get me wrong, I WANT to agree with you. Except it was a decision by the writer to have the demon say to Josie "you're in love with me." if Josie had said something like, "he has a family, take me instead." then we're talkin'. We can always interpret what we WISH intentions were, but if you're going by the script, I have to hold firm that she did it for love, because that was blatantly stated.
Flag
Yeah she tells a demon that the man of letter has a family, that would end well..
Flag
Speaking of interpreting what we want to hear - seems like that's what everyone is doing. It's like everyone WANTS to have a reason to hate the show, so why not complain about their treatment of a female character, whether it's absolutely warranted of not?

Anyway, so because Josie didn't feel it was necessary to correct a very dangerous and frightening demon who could kill her and her partner right there and tell her she's got it all wrong, Josie is a stupid woman who sacrificed herself for love? Don't get me wrong - sacrificing for love can be noble, but apparently it's a bad thing these days. Either way, would YOU tell a demon (a Knight of Hell, in fact) that she was stupid and had the wrong idea? Or would you keep your mouth shut so as not to antagonize her and hope she didn't just kill you both for fun? I can imagine a scenario in which Josie said "He has a family and I don't, so take me" - and, being a demon, do you think Abbadon would have thought "Oh, I should spare the man with a family - my possession of him would cause them a lot of pain so I should possess the one who no one will miss."? Nope.
More +
Flag
In love with him, not me. *facepalm*
Flag
Was that a little wish fulfillment showing through...?
Flag
Absolutely spot on! I thought and interpreted much the same thing myself.
Flag
I agree with you, I didn't think for a moment that she sacrificed herself coz she was in love. He had a family, that's why she did it, to spare them.
Flag
I don't think that the woman thing is really what you're making of it. I think the point was more that Henry has a family. I mean, he was really worried and upset about being there in the first place, calling it "selfish" because if something happens to him then his wife is left widowed and his son without a father. I think that the fact that Josie is the character who is young, impulsive and gung-ho about the demon fighting has nothing to do with her being a woman. I think that if the Josie character were instead a younger guy new to the game like Henry (just about to be initiated into the club for reals) and he had a personality like Josie (into the hunt etc.) the results would have been the same. Sure there is a bit of an added thing with Josie having feelings for him, but I think that it would have made sense if a younger, single dude had offered himself up in place of the guy with the family.
I also think that the fact that in that day and age women were looked down on and not given enough credit for being smart etc. it says more about how dumb the men of letters and the culture of the time were to automatically assume that a woman is not capable of much. The line where Josie tells Abbadon that no one suspects a woman were right on-they don't and because of that they all got killed. Maybe if those Men of Letters had paid more attention they might not all be in the ground.
I really liked this episode and this season so far has been great. I like the way the brothers are at odds. I mean, the whole angel possesion thing I think would have not been a big deal if it hadn't been for all those other pieces of lying, manipulating and deal making-straw on the back of the Winchesters relationship. All of the past is at play here and I think that the writers would be smart to acknowledge that. THese guys have done so much for and to each other and this last thing was it, it has lead to this explosion and that is realistic. They need to have it out-yelling, punching, crying-whatevs, but it can't be how it is one second and then after one tumble in a hotel room be fine. I would love to see Crowley referee that family meeting.
More+
Flag
I agree that Misha did a great job recapturing the old school creepiness/grittiness of the first couple of seasons, through partially concealed camera angles and track shots. I was a bit disappointed that Sam spent the majority of his "hunt" sitting at a table in the police station. Also, I found myself increasing distracted by Jared's receding hairline. I might have missed some things.

For a show that's been under fire and criticism from the jump for not creating/expanding roles for women and strong female characters, this ep provided another WTF moment. I feel like I'm watching a Disney animated feature. Nothing is more important than a man.
Flag
Sigh another insecure feminist. Just think of this show as trying to balance the scales from all the bullshit YA shows and novels these days with special snowflake female protagonists.
Flag
Flag
So clearly this isn't a forum for intelligent discussion. You do make a compelling argument, friend. My OPINION and individual interpretation of open-ended dialogue Is less valid due to my being a crying, bitching woman. Touche.
Flag
Flag
Well Winchester's also bring a knife to a demon fight..I know,it's a different kind,but stil... and that "lights out" effect,when they kill demon never gets old with me.
Dean did it to save Crowley and to save that "hunter". When Sam says,we don't need Crowley anymore,Dean isn't fully on board,but now that Crowley has First Blade,just gives Dean excuse to not have to off Crowley. Winchester's can bitch and moan,how Crowley is pure evil,this and that,but compared to "monster of the week",Crowley comes off as nice guy. What is so bad,that Crowley does? All I hear are jokes and pretty much helping Winchesters,even if it's not to kill Abadon.
And I don't think Crowley was shooting up in there...he just went in,to see what would Dean do.
They killed of Henry was too fast,was nice to see him and finally nice to see Abadon again. About damn time.
Flag
This episode pretty much highlights why season 9 is annoying the heck out of me. Abbadon was AWESOME in this episode and we now know that her human host has a bit of a tragic backstory. (She was in love with Henry Winchester, who had a family and thought of her as a sister, and allowed herself to be possessed by the Hell Knight to spare Henry from being possessed.)

I really don't get why this season is juggling two separate storylines (Abaddon's Hell Takeover and the Angels on Earth) and highly doubt that the story is going to converge the two together like it did with Season 6 when Crowley and Raphael teamed up to open Purgatory.

Abbadon has easily become my favorite character now. I sincerely wish she was the undisputed Big Bad of Season 9 instead of remaining largely in the shadows and having the spotlight shine on Metatron and the Angel situation. Abby was WOEFULLY underutilized last season (Though Crowley was the undisputed Big Bad since Naomi turned out to be a misguided angel with good intentions) but she makes up such a better character than Metatron. Metatron's motivations were simple (punish the Angels by kicking them out of Heaven) but after he got everything he wanted he ended up becoming a mustache twirling villain with really vague motivations. He's physically weak, so he has other people do his bidding, like Gadreel or Cas last season. Abby, on the other hand, is a friggin BEAST! Her motivations are crystal clear, she learns from her mistakes, and she's physically stronger than most of the demons this show has featured. She's not overly sadistic like Alistaire or Lilith but she's a lot more brutal than Azazel or Crowley. She wants what she wants and will find the most efficient way of getting it. Seriously, why can't she be the main villain and not an Eve-ish side villain?

Overall I give this episode an 8 out of 10. More Abby!
More+
Flag
Obviously they are going to tie the two arcs together.
Isn't the symbolism here obvious?

Metatron kicked Castiel out of heaven
Abaddon kicked Crowly out of hell

I think it's safe to assume they'll team up against their opposing counterparts.
Flag
The way it's going I fear that they'll kill Abaddon before the finale just like they killed Eve.
Flag
Unlikely, Eve was never a real bad guy, she was a distraction from the real threat. People still don't get that. :)
Flag
Maybe Eve was like the First in Buffy. You know how in season 4 they made a huge deal about him and he turned out to be a distraction from Adam and The Initiative? But then he came back in full force in season 7.
Flag
Didn't say it wasn't, what I said is she wasn't the real enemy but a distraction. I think a lot of people are just mad that they fell for the distraction themselves. :) Maybe she should've been allowed to escape and fight another day but not sure what you would really do with her? She seems kind of powerful and her motives (beyond avenging her children) would be what exactly? She said herself that she was happy with the way things were until her alphas were threatened.
Flag
Eve had one of the most badass entrances of any characters on the show and her power was practically limitless. Plus she could reproduce asexually and could spawn a thousand different types of monsters that the Winchesters never fought before... and they kill her after three appearances and switch her with Crowley, who DIED a dozen episodes ago. How is that not a waste of a good character?
Flag
Of course it's possible. But I think just like they got the mark and the completely left the issue a couple of episodes, they'll do the same thing now.

That is how Supernatural went for the past 8 years
Flag
I agree that season 9 has a lot going on. The shut down of Heaven, falling of angels, Metatron, Men of Letters, Abbadon, Mark of Cain, etc, etc.

Personally I had never been all that interested in the angel plot line. I always preferred Abbadon over Metatron. I would've been perfectly happy if they just focused on Abbadon and Hell and Mark of Cain and dove more into the Men of Letters.

We'll just have to see how they combine all this I guess.
Flag
Eve had a lot of potential as a villain. Another person I was sad that sort of just disappeared was the Anti Christ (Jesse I think his name was?).
Flag
Couldn't agree more but I can kinda see a finale here that does tie the stories somewhat.

Abaddon is making an army and Cas pretty much has one too. If they can tie Metatron into it then we could have a good old fashioned war going on! Dean, Sam, Cas and Angels Vs. Abaddon and her army.

I just really hope the angel story gets a solid resolve because that cliffhanger from season 8 was amazing and the story that follows has thus far been lacklustre at best.
Flag
The blood addiction with Crowley it's exactly the opposite of Sam's in my eyes as Sam was addicted to the power that the blood gave him where Crowley is addicted to the humanity it gives him and you can't hold that against him, i would actually applaud it!
Flag
Crowley (in the tavern with Dean) when Dean told him he's looking for Abaddon:

“Unless Abaddon likes 10 cent wings, stale beer and the clap, I doubt she’s here.”
Flag
This was my second favorite episode of the season. (the first one was when Dean got the mark of Cain)
Flag
Dull. Bad script, acting, tedious editing/directing (sorry, Misha). I thought the episode was never going to end! It may have been because I watched it with commercial breaks, so it just seemed like they were taking a really long time to say a whole lot of nothing.

Dean the alcoholic is played the fuck out. Have him compulsively eat marshmallow peeps to bury his terrible, no good feelings for a change. Also, the Dean is scared reveal is *yawn* Oh, I wonder what he could be scared about? Hmm? Could it be his overwhelming impulse to lope off Sam's head? *yawn*

Abaddon's meatsuit? WTFevah, girl. She has an unrequited crush on a married man and sacrifices herself. GTFO! At least give the apparent rare snowflake Woman of Letters some fucking dignity, sheesh.

Henry is such a sheltered little thing. I can't imagine he would have survived long in the evil fighting world, even without encountering a Knight of Hell. I'm going with the hunter genes having put the badass in the Winchester boys.

I did like the Exorcism recording, though it was ridiculous that it started exactly where Sam got chocked off at!
Flag
Pft. There was no bad acting in this one!

Have you ever seen the Oz episode? I feel like you are describing it ... and not this one.
Flag
I believe I blocked everything about that episode from my mind except for the garage with the kickass car and motorcycle collection. And Charlie starting up a relationship with a much older woman.
Flag
Great points! Josie the first female "Man" of Letters choosing to give herself up to a Knight of Hell to save a married guy who didn't even care about her was seriously WTF.
Flag
Another consecutively good episode in this patchy season. When the writers focus on the overarching storyline of the season, it is still a good show. When they throw in filler episodes like Slumber Party, Sharp Teeth and THINMAN, I get annoyed because I know they can do better.
Flag
I liked Slumber Party. At least the Witch looked like a real monster and Charlie was pretty much her usual self (unlike Sharp Teeth and THINMAN, which ruined Garth and the Ghostfacers, two of the funniest recurring characters on the show, by giving them angst angst ANGST!)
Flag
I thought it was a pretty good episode. We got to see how Josie became Abaddon - sacrificing herself for Henry, how sweet, and we see how the Mark of Cain is effecting Dean's mental state. He seems to be in a downward spiral of sorts, drinking more heavily, his somewhat helpless demeanor. He seems kind of lost, and unsure because of the power that comes along with the mark and with the blade. I am interested to see how that will continue to play out. I love that Crowley called them "Besties", this guy always cracks me up, and the interactions between him and Dean are always the best. I'm not surprised that Dean saved Crowley, he does serve a purpose, at least for now. I know eventually he will have to be put down for good, but I like when he works with Sam and Dean. None of them are 100% good (Castiel included), and at least Crowley embraces who he is. I wonder what challenge Crowley was speaking about (the blade?). Loved how Sam used his cell phone to finish the spell when he was getting choked out - pretty smart, way to go Sammy. I like Henry Winchester so I hope we are able to see him again (even if it is in a flashback). Good episode.
More+
Flag
very good episode. there was a few eps the last month or so that were very week, but this was pretty good.
Flag
Dean and Crowley are besties!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members