We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

Supernatural is turning 10 this year, but don't expect Sam and Dean to quit the family business anytime soon. During a panel for the long-running CW series at the Television Critic Association summer press tour on Friday, executive producer Jeremy Carver told reporters that he has an image in mind for the end of the series, but he doesn't want to limit the possibilities, either. 

"There's so much story left to tell, [and] it's sort of remarkable because we're in Season 129 already," Carver joked. "The show is continuing on beyond any of our wildest dreams. I don't think we want to limit ourselves. Just because I might have the perfect image in my head, doesn't mean [we] won't come up with something [else]," said Carver, who also noted that series creator Eric Kripke had an idea for the ending, but has yet to tell him what it might be.

Supernatural stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles echoed Carver's sentiments. "I think we're all on the same page," said Ackles. "We still get excited about it and I think that hasn't tarnished in 10 years. I remember getting the last script of Season 9, the season finale, and I got all giddy about it. I was excited to see what happens in Season 10."

Padalecki, for his part, said he isn't ready to hang up the Sam Winchester hat just yet, but when that time comes, if the series has become a shell of its former self, that they'll end the show. "I've spent nine years of my life with [Sam]. I don't want him to be broken down and beaten down into something I don't respect, and I respect this show and our writers and fellow actors... If there's an end coming, I think we'll all see it."

One of the reasons Padalecki thinks the series has remained popular for so long is that the show is willing to have fun at its own expense. He also cited the fans who've supported the show through its ups and downs. "We tease ourselves and make fun of ourselves," Padalecki said. "[We] break the fourth wall successfully without jumping the shark, which is a testament to our fans, truthfully, because they've stuck with us and humored us all the way."

As for what fans can expect to see in Season 10, Demon Dean will be sticking around for more than one episode, and you'll be seeing "a different type of Demon Dean than you might expect." As far as new characters are concerned, Carver teased that "while Sam is on the hunt for his brother, there is a rather mysterious character who is also on the hunt who causes complications." Meanwhile, Misha Collins' Castiel is still very much in the picture, but Carver said his stolen grace is fading and he's in danger of dying if he doesn't figure out how to deal with the situation.

Supernatural returns for Season 10 on October 7 at 9pm.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2016

Season 11 : Episode 19

Next Episode

AIRS ON 5/4/2016

Season 11 : Episode 20

110 Comments
Comments (110)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think supernatural is great best show on TV.it is very awesome how they come up with the story to this show there like in my head 80 percent of the way I would have played it out staying strong hope its around for a few more seasons don't want to see it end I would have so much to add peace!!
Flag
Eric Kripke never had a "5 year plan" he has recently (and previously to that) admitted that if he had told everyone about a perfect 5 year plan for the show that he was lying, as that's the nature of TV. He said he would create a guideline of sorts for the next season or two in advance, and always knew he wanted the ending to be brother vs brother, but the show is still being written in the same sort of way that it was when Kripke was around. The creative direction may be different but there are still planned arcs, and Carver had stated when he came back for Season 8 that he had a "3 year arc planned to get to the end of season 10". So although in hindsight seasons 6&7 were the worst in terms of comprehensive arc, they still have some gems in those seasons like " Weekend at Bobby's" and "Death's Door". I still think the core and heart of the show are still intact, and the writing can still bring it along with the actors. I want another 3 seasons out of the show, at least. But this series is a childhood friend of mine who I'm not ready to say goodbye to yet.
More+
Flag
i think it should have ended a few seasons ago. i hope it has a proper ending soon. half of last season was horrible.
Flag
This show is becoming like the UK version of Shameless. Great for the first 5 seasons and then drags its feet all the way into season 11.
Flag
Don't know what crack pipe these people are on but the show has been tarnished and should have ended after the original set five seasons. S6-S7 anybody???

Then the statement that they have so much story to tell???? What like Dean and/or Sam yet again being under threat of some kind of supernatural problem dogging them through the whole season as one brother tries everything to reverse the situation and the other brother under threat tries to deal with the impending doom just to miraculously come out of it.

All other humans can be taken by the supernatural but not these two...these two survive insane odds and that gets old after awhile. There's no REAL suspense because in the end you know the brothers will be just fine every damn season. Sorry but 10 were 5 too many let alone trying to go beyond.
Flag
Is someone holding gun to your head and making you watch the show? No,...then stop watching....
Flag
"I think that hasn't tarnished in 10 years." - I think the writers didn't watch season 7. That's relief for their mental health but ... you are the writers! XD It's a joke. I know and understand their enthusiasm and loving on Supernatural, and thank for that.

Just I wish they to watch previous seasons and to maintain original setups: reapers are not angels, shapeshifters slip out of skins, angels only trapped in holy fire ring, werewolves are usually changed under moon light... and most of all, fans want their lovely characters to live on Supernatural world, not to die. Dying is not a dramatic narrative tool, that just a cheap surprising in Supernatural.

The writers can make canon but it doesn't mean they can break the setups of previous story. They should be keepers, not breakers of the rules. The fans will love you when they have confidence that you know the story well as fans do.

My point is: please, writers. Do not let the viewers look down on you about the story. You get the power and also responsibility. And fans still love you and believe that you can make it again. That's the power Supernatural gets 10th season, I believe.
More+
Flag
"We still get excited about it and I think that hasn't tarnished in 10 years."

Really? 10 years, no tarnish?

If this show ended after season 5 like it was supposed to, it would likely have gone down as one of the best network shows in recent memory. I'd call the quantum drop off in season 6, from which the show still hasn't recovered, tarnish.

It's hard to imagine looking back on this series (whenever it ends) and not see it as two completely different shows. The high quality piece of art that was seasons 1-5 and the cash grab of popularity that has been everything since.

It's too bad, because the 2nd half, on it's own, is no better or worse than most other network shows, but the standard had been set and the story told. Watching now is like seeing Michael Jordan in a Wizards jersey, or Brett Favre suit up for the Jets/Vikings...still pretty good but not nearly the same and clinging to what once made them great that has long since past.
Flag
I will stick with this show as long as Sarah Gamble is not the writer and showrunner. Putting her in charge was the worst decision ever. She destroyed all hope of that show for 2 seasons and I will NEVER forgive her for killing Bobby. I was so glad when she stepped down.I thought for sure it would get cancelled with her running it. I was so glad to hear Carver was taking over since he has some of the most famous and iconic episodes of the series. These last 2 seasons while they dont compare to the first amazing 5 seasons still managed to be good and I can tell he is slowly fixing Gambles screw ups. I will stick with the show and be a dedicated fan until the end. I own every season, the animated series, the books, magazines, comics and Funko figurines. I am a huge fan and while the show is not as good as its earlier years It is still a fantastic program that brings something new every single week. I wont give up on it like a lot of so called "fans" have already done. Everything changes and if you love it then you stick with it no matter what happens.
More+
Flag
Personally think the show should end and I think Bobby was going to die anyways given the nature of this show. I agree with you about Sarah Gamble tho, season 7 was absymal.
Flag
As awesome as Sam and Dean are, they will never be as aweosme as Wesley Wyndam Pryce.
Flag
Damn straight. Currently watching Alexis Denisof, as the dad on the new MTV show 'Finding Carter' and its a good idea for a show but its MTV and it seems like its written by 12 year olds. He isn't bad in it.
Flag
Damn, he's a great actor, he deserves a better show.
Flag
I'm not sure why some people are in a hurry for this wonderful show to end, but I think they still have some great seasons left. After they redeemed themselves by bouncing back after the leviathan season I won't underestimate the writers. I hope they make it to season 129 :)
Flag
Seasons shouldn't have too many seasons, because all the awesome memories fade away after too many weak/ridiculous/repetitive episodes or storylines and all you can say is "this was an awesome show but...". Happened too many times...
Flag
Supernatural is one of the most popular TV shows in history and for all of the people wanting the show to end, all I can say is there is no way you are true fans of the show. Real fans have been here since episode 1 and we are more than ready to continue down the road with the Winchesters for another 10 years if we have the chance. We don't ever want the series to end, but we know that's not possible. My greatest wish is to see the series finale (in a few years) as a full length major motion picture. A show as epic as this one has been deserves an epic ending and I don't think the small screen will cut it. And as for Jared and Jensen's careers, I think they're going to be just fine. Their acting is outstanding, their range is fantastic, and their attractiveness is off the charts. I will watch anything they star in.

Flag
People arent in the wrong for wanting the show to end. A lot of fans dont want to see a show they love ran into the ground, do you really wanna see Spn Season 20: The Adventures of Ghost Dean and Cyborg Sam?.....Ok I kinda wanna see that myself
Flag
Wow,troll spotted...
Flag
Its definitely not one of the most popular shows in TV history. It has one of the most obsessive fanbases in TV history. Which is understandably, as its a good show. But it really should have ended after season 5. While i have enjoyed 6-9, they haven't come close to the heights of 1-5. Sometimes its better to quit while ahead (Breaking Bad) and only have people remember the intense highs, even knowing the show could have had more seasons, then drag out a show more seasons for the sake of having them, at the cost of the high quality. I know Breaking Bad could have pulled out a season or 2 more, but im so happy they ended it when they did, so i only remember the show being as good as it was, i dont have to remebr "that one lesser seaosn"
Flag
I couldn't agree more. It's a huge mistake not to end a show when it is a highlight, but to drag it till it becomes "a shell of former self" like e.g. "Dexter" did.
Flag
Although Supernatural has dropped in quality since the end of S5, I would never go so far as to compare the decline to Dexter.
Dexter had 3 seasons of good episodes then just dropped the ball for the rest of it's run.
My wife stopped watching Supernatural even though it was her favorite show, telling me it was painful to watch a once great show getting so bad, but I will stick with it for now.
Flag
Dexter had six great seasons (1-5,7)
One awful season 6
And then the worst season of a show ever 8
Flag
I was actually gonna use Dexter as an example. But this show definitively hasn't fallen nearly as far as Dexter. Dexter just got terrible. Season 6 and 8 were almost unwatchable.
Flag
As a fan I'd hope that this will be the last of it. I mean I love SPN but sometimes I only watch it because I wanna know what happened to Cas/Dean never really liked Sam. Honestly quality wise of the "story telling" ended in season 5 and the rest are just I don't know extenders? Fillers?
Flag
This is really how I see it too. The main story ended after S5, and everything else is just aftermath. S6 is the blacksheep of the show, but I dont know why people have a problem with S7, S8. In my opinion S8 was better than some of the earliest. I'm actually not updated on S9 yet, but as long as the show is still fresh, keep it going. But I really hope it doesnt become that crappy show that is still going on.
Flag
Agreed, besides if they really wanna contiune the show theres a vast amount of spinoffs they could make and there's always the option of conituning in Comics like Charmed, Buffy, and Angel.
Flag
Agreed they should have let it end at 5. I love the show and I will continue to watch it because of Dean and Cas, but I just don't see how it will end well. I don't mean "well" in the sense that people live happily ever after, but in the sense that everything is wrapped up. Season 5 was a good ending because it gave them a way for Dean to have a life and for Sam to go out as a hero. Now unless they both die, or at least one dies, I can't seem them not hunting or always being together. I have no idea what to do with Cas in the end.
Supernatural is one of those shows that is hard to end without killing everyone, like a vampire show. Vampires are immortal so unless they die you have a never ending situation where old friends die and new ones show up, or they move or whatever, it just keeps going. Supernatural is similar in the sense that I can't see the brothers living separately, nor can I see them settling down in an average job permanently. I can only see them continuing on their hunting, always saving each other from crappy situations, getting mad at each other, making up with each other, and that is basically it. They are fighting a war that is never going to end, so they are fighting till they die. I feel almost like they should just end it somehow. I will miss it but it isn't what it once was.
More +
Flag
Just stop. Stop it after season 10.
Flag
So much more story to tell- you mean "repeat the same story of one brother keeping a secret from the other, Brother 2 finding out, and both brothers getting snitty and not talking to each other (lik what happened ALL THIS SEASON!) Oh, and Crowley switching sides every other season. (Season 5- good, season 6- Disc One Final Boss, Season 7- good again, Season 8- Big Bad, Season 9- Dean's frickin guardian demon!)
Flag
I really hope Demon Dean sticks around for a long time
Flag
I love supernatural, especially "dean and sam" I hope it doesn't end anytime soon, my fav show I look forward to it every week :)
Flag
"There's so much story to tell"

Really? Supernatural has gotten stale and has been that way since season 5. Repeating story lines is definitely not something you should be praising. Just end it already.
Flag
Truth be told, I'll follow this show as long as its on the air. But honestly, it's had an uptick in quality since Season 8 introduced the Men of Letters storyline, and although Season 9 was rocky here and there...the past two seasons have breathed new air into the show and its been really refreshing. I don't feel like the stories are being rehashed or anything. I'm pumped for Season 10 and for the series to continue. I'd be happy with a nice, freaky 13 seasons for SPN
Flag
The stories aren't being rehashed? Really?
Tell me if this synopsis sounds familiar:

One brother does something he truly believes is for the greater good but knows the other brother won't like it so he hides it from him.
There will be several episodes in which he will contemplate whether it was a good idea to do it in the first place or not but the other brother will be in the dark.

Then several episodes where the brother in the dark sees stuff that are hints at the secret but doesn't put it all together while the secretive brother does everything to keep the secret.

Then during a random monster of the week (most likely involving an ancient deity) the brother finds out the secret and is mad about the other one.

Several more episodes of tension build up with heated discussions about how the brothers don't trust each other most likely ending up with them splitting ways.

Then comes the finale, but brothers make piece with each other, realize they love each other too much and stop the big bad of the season together, most likely involving one of them sacrificing himself to the greater good.

Now, which season does this describe to you?
Hint: There are multiple correct answers ;)
More +
Flag
Okay well there's "rehashing" storylines and then there's status quo. I see where you're coming from, but to me a rehashed storyline involves specifics, like maybe If Sam were to sleep with another female monster not realizing she was the MOTW, I would call rehash shenanigans! Listen I'm not some blind supporter of the show, my eyes are very much open. The series isn't perfect, and the frequent back and forth between the brothers keeping secrets from each other could definitely be seen as a constant annoyance to some fans, but at the same time I don't tell my brother everything about my life sometimes I keep secrets if it means our relationship would be less strained. It may be a mistake but without SOME drama between the brothers the show would seem kind of pointless. Seasons 6 and 7 seemed to lack emotional connection between the two, so the fact that they were butting heads during season 9 actually seemed somewhat realistic to me.
Flag
Supernatural is one of my oldest shows, I have been watching it for 7 years now and I don't want it to stop. It had its ups and downs but I feel like the show is still solid, creatively speaking and I look forward to every new episode. As long as the cast is willing to go on, I see no reason for this show to stop. Besides Supernatural is one of the highest rated shows on the CW so no worries on that front.
Flag
Geez and I was hoping for one epic last season with Demon Dean.
Flag
I feel the same way. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Demon Dean but I was also looking forward to seeing what happened when the angels fell (in the end, not an awful lot ;)
Flag
October to far away. I'm so excited for season 10 and demon dean is making me tingle just thinking about it.
Flag
Yes, let it go on forever!
Flag
As long as you guys are there, I'm there. Epic stuff. Those who want the show to end--Be careful what you wish for maties...
Flag
This is from a guy who is using a Dexter avatar.... ;)
Flag
His taste in TV shows are questionable, he thinks LOST's finale was ridiculous yet he loves Dexter and is praising Supernatural which has just been repeating story lines since season 5 (When it should have ended)
Flag
Well, in fairness, Lost's finale was ridiculous...
Flag
B-a-n-e: - I'm gonna use the same argument - Heroes?! that was only relevant in season 1, the rest of the show was absolutely atrocious.
Flag
You have no idea what you're talking about , which is typical. It's just an avatar, and a really nice picture. Maybe when you grow you'll see things differently. But thanks for telling me what to think. You should get a good job while you still know everything.
Flag
Don't ever change that picture. We see it and know exactly who it is; plus Its an awesome picture of Michael C. Why even would haters, hate on that cool Avatar?

By the by, 'Lost' finale was awful and so hastily constructed by 2 dudes who revealed that they really never had any idea what their show was about and then completely fudged the landing. That finale was akin to the pulling back of the curtain and finding out 'The Wizard of Oz' was a fraud.

Flag
I bet Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are not eager to quit the show. As soon as Supernartural ends, it is the end of their career !
Flag
Really?! I think Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles got a long career infront of them!
Flag
Okay... Let's be honest here....

Both of them haven't done much film except horror remakes that tanked or did "okay" (Friday the 13th and House of Wax for Jared and My Bloody Valentine for Jensen). And that was post their Supernatural success.

Jared didn't do anything notable on TV except his Gilmore Girls shtick while Jensen at least moved around quite a bit (DooL, Dark Angel, Smallville) but that was before their Supernatural success.

But truth is, while they are both still extremely attractive (the amount of erotic fan fiction written about these two both hetero and homo sexual is so common it was even referenced on the show), the fact is that they are in their 30s now and it's beginning to show so they sure as heck can't play their roles for long. So the attraction from the fans isn't likely to really help them out.

Let's not also forget that once you get stereotyped in these kind of shows, it's really hard to get out. Of all these CW shows about "pretty white people with super powers" I'm really wracking my brain on who really did anything successful after they went off the air.

Women seem to have a better go at it, but as far as men are concerned?
The only I can possibly think of that did well was Angel who went and did Bones.

As I said, Jensen actually did jump around successfully from one show to the other but that was a decade ago... At the moment he is too old to be a member of a scooby gang and too young to be a father figure (like Alaric on TVD)

So while I of course wish them nothing but the best, I think it's far more likely (that if the show ends) that at most you can expect them to go for a couple of B movie stuff until they either fade away or go behind the camera.
More +
Flag
You think or you hope ? As soon as Supernatural ends, they are unemployed. We'll see where they are in ten years.
Flag
I love these two idjuts but I think it's time to end their story
Flag
Supernatural Spin-Off -------------& Men Of Letters.
Flag
I hope this show stays on for another 5 seasons (i'm probably insane but whatever) or something, but tbh season 10 just sounds like more of the same crap. So not exited for it to return yet at the same time, i kinda sorta am. idk i'm just in love with this show, even when it's constantly disappointing me and repeating story's over and over again. I mean, it really is sounding like Deamon is going to be handled basically the same way as Soulless Sam, which is really disappointing and I was already disappointed by the season ten description (more of the same + Cas is still on his own little adventure not including the boys -WHY I MEAN HONESTLY WHY)

But you know what, having said all that, I think that allot of people have been jumping to conclusions based on that description (like me oopsie) so maybe we should hold off on the judging ( ik ik such a hypocrite i'm very tired lemme alone) until we actually get to see it. And if it really is what we all thin it is.

So anyway, I originally came here to express my love for spn (woopsies) and how I really honestly hope it never ends. Which is true, so true, i love love loooove this show. But I honestly hope it stops going in circles, otherwise... an ending might be a sweet relief. But god, I hope it doesn't end. (ya you can all call me 'the hypocrite' from now on.)

i'm pretty tired so if none of this made sense at all I'm sorry, just comment or something idk and i'll clear up. Or actually, on hine sight i dont thin any of you are going to comment because of that so u know what im going to just stop typing now good night
More+
Flag
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, 10 seasons is he longest any sci-fi\fantasy show ever gotten (Not counting Dr.Who since it basically just reboots itself or anything animated). I mean the highest episode count I can think of are Stargate SG1 and Smallville, both of which ran exactly 10 seasons.

So it would be really odd for this particular show to get 15 seasons... Especially since by then Jensen will be in his 40s...
Flag
It may be odd, but that doesn't mean it would be wrong. SG1 could have continued and would have done much better than SGA and SGU even without RDA. This show has a an abundence of good things going on for it. A lot more than I can count for the 5 seasons of TVD, the 5 going on six seasons of glee and the I don't know how many seasons of TBBT that there are.
Last year I found myself in a position where I wasn't enjoying any of the shows I was watching. I was bored by them, they were afraid to take chances, they insulted my inteligence and you know what? I found them down right stupid.I realized that I made some bad tv choices along the way. I looked around me and tried to find a show I would defenitly like. I knew that the mistakes I've made meant that I would be doing a lot of catching up with a lot of spoilers to boot.
It has now been 24 hours since I finished the eighth season of Supernatural. It was amazing. I dropped all the shows I mentioned earlier, kept OuaT which got better recently, got back to Farscape, and man does rehab feel wonderful. I'm so happy with my tv choices now.

Also, why can't a 40 year old be the star of a show? Still better than any TVD hunk out there. In looks. In character, I won't even start comparing the endless pit between them.
More +
Flag
Really, just what is there to tell or make up?
It really is kinda silly and I was a big fan for the first 5 years!
Flag
I feel like im one of the few here thats is actually jumping for joy at a renewal (SPN fans, where are you at?) and a not-so-near future for the show. Although i didnt list this show as my no. 1 fave in a recent comment that i post in another article, i always consider this show really close to my heart and ive been watching it faithfully. Ive gotten used to having this show around to watch. I enjoy the humor between the 3 characters (Dean, Sam, Castiel) on and off screen (yes i watch those youtube videos of the bloopers or at comic con/ interviews etc). Ive learnt not to take this show too seriously and just enjoy the ride and i really did. Been fun so far.

Anyways, along with the writers/producers/cast/crews, i do feel that there are still more stories to tell. Im constantly hoping they would eventually get back to the story about the Anti-christ boy with powers to vanquish the demons easily. Crowley is still arrogant and funny and around. Castiel is still having problems with his stolen grace, new prophet is not yet reveal to the viewers, heaven is still in a mess, how god actually looks like etc etc.. Just dealing with the loose ends could take up prolly an entire season..So yup im glad its not gonna end so soon.
More+
Flag
I admit the show has gotten really boring in the past seasons, but it's still watchable. The cast is decent, special effects are great and they do manage to shove in sufficient humor here and there.

The only real problem is that the main characters are stale. They are not bad, but the whole 2 brothers thing just keeps going around in circles.

I think they need to add more secondary characters with their own agendas - oh, and please stop killing them every 30 seconds... Thanks!
Flag
I had commented in another article that i felt that its kinda a chick show so its nice to hear from a guy saying that its still watchable. I do understand where you are coming from when you said the characters are stale. Cos the main cast is just Sam and Dean and Castiel. Not a lot for the writers to play around with except to make them have a love-hate relationship. I think, while still in the early seasons, if the writers knew the show would go a decade , they would hv make sure that theres more aunts/uncles/cousins/half bros/half sis running around.

what kinda secondary characters would you like to see? Is Crowley considered as secondary character?
And sorry i didnt understand this part: "please stop killing them every 30 seconds".. who is 'them? the bro or the new demons or both?
Flag
I agree. One thing I will say is that most SPN fans back up the show by watching it and that's why its still going. Seems these comments are here so 100 odd people who are sitting with nothing to do see a show they don't watch and think ''I will click onto this to show people I've smuggly moved on and they want to know it''.

I dont like American idol and i wouldn't waste my time posting on their page because ''IF ITS A SHOW I'M NOT INTERESTED IN/WATCHING WHY CLICK''.
Flag
Ikr. Totally with you on this. This is actually a topic that is constantly brought up in TV.com. What could those people possibly add on to a show that they no longer watch? And if they do, the comments would not have been objective and not up to date with the current storyline. Furthmore, theres so much to do on the internet (or TV.com). Why waste time on something that they hv moved on from?
Thus, overtime, ive come to accept that its gonna be a common occurance and not to let it get to me.

Flag
I'm witcha...
Flag
I think 5 to 7 seasons is ideal, anything more is just milking the cow. Even the best tv shows can't maintain their quality forever.
Flag
But most shows don't come up with ideas like Men of Letters in their later seasons. If it wasn't for Men of Letters I'm sure the show would be over by now.
Flag
Really? I think the other way around. The men of letters was one of the worst things this show pulled off - even worse than the Leviathans.

It's decent in the way that they get a head quarters with cool gadgets and stuff but the mere concept of having a secret society that nobody ever heard about before yet everyone are aware of after they were added to the show is just flat out stupid.
Flag
The bunker is a good set piece, but as a story line... it sucks ass.
Flag
&There;'s so much story left to tell

That's because we got a season that was almost all filler. :-(

&...but when that time comes, if the series has become a shell of its former
&self;, that they'll end the show.

Jared, that time is already there. :-( This season followed the same Season formula we've had for about six seasons now. Once again something has befallen a Winchester brother and the other one will have to save them / deal with angst. We've already established near the end of season 8 that it's possible to redeem demons, so we know what the first half of season 10 will be about and how it will be resolved. More paint by numbers.
Flag
this is not a comment. this is a downvote. because there are no downvote buttons on this site (why. whyyyy.)
Flag
I gave you an upvote because I agree this site totally needs downvote buttons.
Flag
I'm so glad I gave up on this show when I did. Don't get me wrong, I have plenty of respect for Carver, who was a better head writer than Gamble but still... they've been scraping the bottom of the barrel for a while. It's going the same route as Smallville and that's sad to me.
Flag
I've only seen a few episodes of Supernatural, but after 10 seasons it might be time to kiss the ring. Any production company would be proud to have a show running as long. There are better shows that failed to outlast it, and none of them have gone anywhere near the perilous tv horror genre.
Flag
Milk that cow for every last drop you can until it dies standing on its feet.
Flag
It's funny because Jared Padelecki was always talking about wanting to leave the show and didn't even seem excited for season 6. Now that the show's going in circles he's solidly behind it continuing? Maybe that's his way of saying he put out some feelers during pilot season but nothing turned up?
Flag
Well, let's face it, his movie career went nowhere (did just 2 horror movies that were flops) and really hasn't done anything of notice except Supernatural and possibly his Gilmore Girls days.

So he's far from age of retirement so having a prime time steady paycheck isn't so bad for him.
Flag
Maybe he's just happy to be getting a steady paycheck?
Flag
That was my thought exactly. Come to think of it, it's not a bad setup - he has a regular gig, stars on a show that lets him look cool, and the money is probably quite decent. After all, he has a wide and two kids to support during an economic crisis - why risk it?

It's so sad, really. The show should have ended after its fifth season. After all, they beat Lucifer himself - not a bad way to go, by any standard. I am glad I never watched beyond the fifth season - I see that the Men of Letters storyline may have been good, but I don't think it was worth it.
Flag
As critical as I can be of the show and its later years, it was still very much worth watching beyond the fifth season (with the exception of the vast majority of Season 7, admittedly). Even when far from its former grace, SPN maintains decent quality.

Season 6 is generally underappreciated by many fans, being a victim of the circumstances more than anything. While it didn't handle its season-long arc in the best of ways and featured some missteps, it did provide a number of excellent, memorable episodes over its course - which is something that the last three seasons failed to achieve.
Flag
Please tell me they nailed the coffin lid shut on that terrible spin-off idea... Please?
Flag
On that particular thread...yes. (whew)

They still want a spinoff though. Never understood why they never went with The Ghostfacers
Flag
Because they would be fun to mock once in a while but are a terrible idea for a continued recurring role.

It would either become totally tiresome or they'd have to change them up to be something totally different.

As the best example, take the role of Rodney in Stargate. When he was around as the "smartest annoying dumb guy" he was funny but when they gave him his own steady role on the spin off they changed him up way too much.
Flag
You're right. I just haven't been able to think of anything to spin off. Maybe Bobby's young hunting years with appearances by young John Winchester?

If Gotham can do it....
Flag
Oh, there are loads of ways they can spin off it.
1) I totally disagree with Kaitlin that new hunters can't be decent spin off. Just don't make it as crappy as Tribes.
In fact Tribes would have been decent in theory if they weren't so dumb in practice.

2) There are minor characters they can go with:
Charlie (in Oz or after she returns from there)
Those hunter kids
Characters that died prematurely but they can bring back (like Benny, Bella etc)

3) As you suggested, a prequel, though it is my least favorite option

4) Go the other way around and do it in the future (Korra style)
Flag
'if the series has become a shell of its former self, that they'll end the show.'

Sadly, I personally think we're racing towards this milestone quicker than some may care to admit. Season 9 was all over the place with a lot of potential wasted.

I am psyched with the whole 'demon dean' story but other than that this has become habitual viewing.
Flag
Well put. Me I keep just keep watching 'cause Mark Sheppard is still awesome. I miss Bobby. Like why'd they kill when they did it (in that not great season with laughable BB) if it was just going to keep on trucking forever? Big moments from before lose that mojo when they keep doing the same ones over and over again. The fact that Carver is talking like it could go on forever has me more worried than happy. That means they have no idea how to end it. By Season 9 you should know what the end looks like or you're just telling us that they don't know how to land it. Hec for the one moment that worked in that finale a lot of it didn't at all (Gadreal?? Castiel? (I know it bothers people but i am just done with this character. Now he's a pop culture spouting punch line - Castiel is a microcosm of this whole show right now. The longer its sticks around the less interesting it is. Kripke just sunk a very expensive show in 2 seasons let him feel better and come home and guide his offspring off the air FOR GOOD THIS TIME :) and call it a day. Its been wearing the shine off for what seems like so long now. Take Season 2 v. Seasons Six through Nine and Season 2 has more episodes that landed than have hit in the past 4. I think they need to clean it up and bring it home before everyone that did stick around though the - misses are coming more than the hits - seasons leave as well.

Love this show, love the guys and i don't want whomever is in charge to make me hate watch out of obligation. Hope I didn't offend anybody.

I'll always love 'Crowley' cause Mark Sheppard is that damn good.
More +
Flag
"Take Season 2 v. Seasons Six through Nine and Season 2 has more episodes that landed than have hit in the past 4."

Now, it's been a while and my memory is more than a little foggy, but I'm pretty certain that Season 6 has at least as many episodes that landed as does Season 2 (despite not being as strong as a whole). The rest of them, not so much.
Flag
You're psyched? We saw near the end of season 8 that there's a way to turn demons human again, so it's already clear how this demon arc is going to resolve itself, probably by midseason if the recent formula follows (spend the first half fixing Sam/Dean, several fillers, beat the Big Bad in the final three episodes, repeat for next season).
Flag
Coodookie I couldn't agree more. The problem ...half of what Sn does is still so good. And we love the cast. Maybe if they went toward a 12-13 eps season and really condensed the best of each season ...

IDK. II love having the boys around. But I always feel like I have seen it all before (because I probably have).

This season is exciting to think of ...but isn't it just "Soulless Sam" all over again?
Flag
That right there is probably exactly what the show needs. A shortened order, all killer no filler!
Flag
I don't think so, Dean was converted to a Demon without going through years of torture in hell (this time). His spirit wasn't really broken, it was the First Blade that turned him into a demon, it yanked his soul back to his body (if it even left) in demon form so I don't think he's going to be the standard demon.

I look at Cain and who he was and who he became. The blade made him kill Abel and become a demon but he was still able to love & feel guilt and have a full range of human emotions. I don't think Demon Dean is going to be a run of the mill souless demon storyline.

This is the first storyline I have been excited about since the leviathan arc (which was shaky.) I was disappointed that after having every Angel fall from heaven & Crowley halfway cured the potential for last season was so wasted. I thought for sure the general population of humans were finally going to see what has been going on in the shadows but instead it was the same ol same ol.
Flag
&This; season is exciting to think of ...but isn't it just "Soulless Sam" all over
&again;?

Ding ding ding. Correct! And we know that they'll do the demon-into-human ritual they failed to finish on Crowley at the end of season 8 to fix Dean. The only thing unclear to me is what the Big Bad(s) are for the next season... they didn't set one up at the end of season 9. On the one hand that's a slight departure from The Formula... on the other hand that could mean they intend to draw the Demon Dean thing out for an entire season. :-(
Flag
Demon Dean will most likely be done with near the sweepstakes holiday break (episode 8-10).

And I don't know for a fact if they'll use that ritual. Supernatural has a tendency not to follow up on past stuff.

My guess is that eventually Sam will have to cut a deal with someone\something to get Dean out of it which he will obviously keep from Dean because this show just repeats this stupid "one brother keeps a secret from the other" crap every single season.
Flag
I hear you alcalde ...I will withhold my frowny face for now since a show that has brought me so much joy deserves me to to give it a shot first. As has been the case from season 6 on - there will be some gems this season that will make us grateful we still have it ...and then other eps that made us wish Kripke's vision would have been respected after 5 seasons.

Incidentally - the bit about Kripke having an ending to the story... this means he has backtracked that the Season 5 finale was the ending he had in mind? Or is it a NEW ending he has come up with since they insisted the show would continue?

I am glad Revolution is gone - maybe Kripke can give us some of the magic back. I am happy is he is involved in trying to get the clusterfuck of mythology of the last 4 seasons sorted out for a proper finish.
Flag
Or option C : He is lying...

I'm not saying this to be offensive, but let's face it, Hollywood folks aren't exactly known for their honesty. There's some PR one needs to do.

Giving a press interview is sort of like doing a job interview. Nobody is 100% honest in a job interview.

It's like if you're asked if you're a hard worker - would anyone say no to that?

Just like no writer would ever say:
"Yeah, I have no idea where I'm going. I'm totally making stuff up as I go along"

Or

"I have a rough idea for this season and that's about it. I don't really plan ahead all that much"

See what I'm saying?
Flag
I can not wait. This is by far still my favorite show to watch. Unlike other shows I have not gotten tired of it and it's still has me exciting every week it's on.
Flag
We will take whatever type of Dean will be for as long as he and Cas has to goof around. At least now Dean can do WHATEVER without CARE. He is a freaking Demon now, demon are OK to do whatever. Lol.
Flag
Deanmon.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members