A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

Supernatural is turning 10 this year, but don't expect Sam and Dean to quit the family business anytime soon. During a panel for the long-running CW series at the Television Critic Association summer press tour on Friday, executive producer Jeremy Carver told reporters that he has an image in mind for the end of the series, but he doesn't want to limit the possibilities, either. 

"There's so much story left to tell, [and] it's sort of remarkable because we're in Season 129 already," Carver joked. "The show is continuing on beyond any of our wildest dreams. I don't think we want to limit ourselves. Just because I might have the perfect image in my head, doesn't mean [we] won't come up with something [else]," said Carver, who also noted that series creator Eric Kripke had an idea for the ending, but has yet to tell him what it might be.

Supernatural stars Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles echoed Carver's sentiments. "I think we're all on the same page," said Ackles. "We still get excited about it and I think that hasn't tarnished in 10 years. I remember getting the last script of Season 9, the season finale, and I got all giddy about it. I was excited to see what happens in Season 10."

Padalecki, for his part, said he isn't ready to hang up the Sam Winchester hat just yet, but when that time comes, if the series has become a shell of its former self, that they'll end the show. "I've spent nine years of my life with [Sam]. I don't want him to be broken down and beaten down into something I don't respect, and I respect this show and our writers and fellow actors... If there's an end coming, I think we'll all see it."

One of the reasons Padalecki thinks the series has remained popular for so long is that the show is willing to have fun at its own expense. He also cited the fans who've supported the show through its ups and downs. "We tease ourselves and make fun of ourselves," Padalecki said. "[We] break the fourth wall successfully without jumping the shark, which is a testament to our fans, truthfully, because they've stuck with us and humored us all the way."

As for what fans can expect to see in Season 10, Demon Dean will be sticking around for more than one episode, and you'll be seeing "a different type of Demon Dean than you might expect." As far as new characters are concerned, Carver teased that "while Sam is on the hunt for his brother, there is a rather mysterious character who is also on the hunt who causes complications." Meanwhile, Misha Collins' Castiel is still very much in the picture, but Carver said his stolen grace is fading and he's in danger of dying if he doesn't figure out how to deal with the situation.

Supernatural returns for Season 10 on October 7 at 9pm.

TV.com's 2014 Fall Preview:
New Shows, Network Schedules, Trailers, and More

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 2/3/2016

Season 11 : Episode 12

Next Episode

AIRS ON 2/10/2016

Season 11 : Episode 13

110 Comments
Follow this Show
Members