A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)
I have heard this debate before. While I love me some additional seasons of Winchester ass-kickings. the season 5 finale was as close to perfection as a series can get. The scene tacked on the end (where Dean is having dinner and out the window, the street light flickers... and there is Sam) has to be ignored and the Series ends it's amazingly planned and executed 5 year arc with Chuck, dressed in white, "Ascending".

If you listen to the actor himself, it sounds as if that was the general motivation Eric Kripke gave him prior to filming the final scene.

It makes perfect sense and maybe Chuck was vessel that didn't even realize God was within him until the end. "The Winchester Gospels" may not have been just the Chuck Testament, but literally the Word of God. The song sure got this lyric right, "Just a slob like one of us".

What do you think, folks?
73 Comments
Comments (73)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
At the end of filming that particular season, Kripke asked the actor playing Chuck - "How did it feel to play God"

58- Rob about his first reaction when he saw Chuck was God

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDo4yIJ4gSg
Flag
From the creator's mouth! Case closed!
Flag
I think he is Jesus. Before he disappears, he talks with a "Ms. Magda" (as in Magdalene?) and I took it as a hint. I see no sense in including that phone call at all unless they are a message or hint.
Flag
Count me in with the YES, CHUCK WAS GOD group...

There really is no other logical interpretation that fit the facts...
Flag
If he was just a vessel they could bring him back. Wish they would - loved him
Flag
Call it a fervent hope, but I have a feeling that we'll see CHUCK in the series finale...

It would give... symmetry to the entire SUPERNATURAL universe....
Flag
Can't be sure a 100% but: in his search for God, Castiel found out that God was on Earth. This, in combination with "Swan Song" makes me think that Cuck was, in fact, God.
Flag
I believe that Chuck is God and that he is still around and may even be another character you have seen and will make his appearance again if there is a call for it.
Flag
I don't know if Chuck was God, but re-watching those final minutes of the season 5 finale reminded me just how good it was and re-affirmed that the series should have ended right there.

Sure, there have been some decent moments this season, but certainly nothing that topped season 5...or was worth sitting through seasons 6-8 for that matter.

I understand why shows and networks hang on for as long as they can. For the same reason why athletes play that extra year or two at the end of their career. But few things are better than great things who call it quits at the right time.
Flag
I was SO happy they set a finale date with L O S T. It made me know that however frustrated by the lack of answers - they will come as the story moves closer to that date. Everyone wasn't happy with the answers, but we did get them
Flag
I think it's true of any show, that from the pilot, has the story laid out from beginning to end.

Kurt Sutter's basically done the same with Sons of Anarchy. He's known how it's going to end since the very beginning and already had most major events drafted before the pilot ever aired. It was always going to be 7 season (13 episodes).

I know it's hard for folks to leave money on the table with a series that they could extend for another year or two...but...
Flag
Of course Chuck was god. Isn't he supposed to be back this season?
Flag
Hadn't heard that, Mate. Hmm. Thet have tried to retcon it - so it is possible. If there were to be no more prophets - then maybe he comes back.
Flag
I think I heard about that last season from some interview that Chuck was coming back. Coming back as god or not he was a fun character.
Flag
He was. I really hope he is the Vessel Chuck we saw throughout...not the one thought of as God dressed in white. I really believe Chuck had no idea he was God until that last scene, when God revealed it to his vessel.

It makes sense. Doctrine calls for God Dwelling within us and revealing Himself. I think that was what that last scene was. So let's get the flawed vessel back, sans the Almighty
Flag
I think i read somewhere Kripke confirmed that Chuck is God.
Flag
I'm not sure~I could go either way but both camps (chuck is god and chuck is not god) have compelling arguments. That being said, I like the mystery of it but do hope it gets cleared up before the series ends.

Flag
I think Chuck probably was God and was so well hidden in plain sight that no one stood a chance of seeing who he really was. Lets face it the Trickster turned out to be one of the archangels in hiding and he was knocking around from season 3 onwards before the Winchesters found out who he really was. But I also like the ambiguity of not knowing for sure.
Flag
Well I think 1 character in Supernatural would have absolutely no problems identify God -& Death "he said himself he'll reap God one day"
Flag
I'm on the fence about this theory, and have been since that finale. Amazing episode it is, but with Kevin's introduction it made it even more confusing to ponder. But, I'm sure we'll find out whenever the true series finale airs
Flag
They already said they'd spill it before the the 20th season. ;-p
Flag
I didn't think there was any doubt about it.

I'm not sure I want him to return. I'm curious what the bleep he's been up to, but unless the writers have come up with a really good answer to that question, it's best to just leave him be.

I was also somewhat curious about what Garth had been up to, and then they brought him back only to use him as a prop for a monster of the week story.
Flag
Castiel was disintegrated yet returned. That is supposed to be a human vessel containing Castiel -- but they killed the $hi# out of that vessel many times. He was brought back in that form. So if they wanted Chuck back - and wanted him to just be him without being indwelt - it IS Supernatural. Anything is possible.

If they go with "he never knew until the end he was a vessel for God" ...it could work. ie, outside the painful revelation of "God's Word" God never really took control until that finale's monologue.
Flag
As it was originally written and intended Chuck was God, they even said so flat out at cons and in interviews. None of that stops later writers from doing a retcon and changing it but that was the original intent. He was hiding as a profit (hiding in plain sight) and when the whole Michael/Lucifer thing was over he left to hide elsewhere and probably as someone else meaning Chuck is dead.
Flag
They were coy discussing it as I remember, since they were doing the retcon and were renewed - but yeah... I heard exactly what you heard.
Flag
I know there was a thing on youtube where someone asked him how he reacted when he found out his character was God and he went on to tell the person the story. Don't know if it's still there or not.
Flag
Isn't that the video in my post?
Flag
Probably, didn't check. My bad. :)
Flag
Why would god need an archangel for protection? He would be more powerful than any angel and shouldn't need protection.
Flag
He didn't need the protection. He needed to look like a prophet, and prophets are protected by Archangels.
Flag
Not only that but knowing he had an archangel was watching was why he had to 'stay in character' as Chuck even when supposedly alone.
Flag
That and it's quite possible (looking at Chuck's lifestyle in alone moments (phone sex, booze) maybe he knew something was up but had no idea God was indwelling and feeding him what to write. Only in the end, GOd revealed himself to Chuck (God's vessel) and off he went. Although they had to retcon the ascension because he clearly didn't go back to heaven - which I feel like was Kripke's intention. Peace on Earth, God back in Heaven, story is over.
Flag
I see where you're coming from, but consider this; if God created man in his own image and considered man to be his most beautiful creatures (the show emphazise this on multiple occaisions), would it not then stand to reason that he tried to live like one, at some point? Like a way of disappearing witout anyone noticing. Just like Gabriel posed as Loke to get away..? As to the "not returning to heaven part" I to feel same about Kripke's intentions.
Flag
My point is that he wouldn' t need a vessel, and was aware of who he was the entire time :-)
Flag
Well - you wouldn't think Michael and Lucifer would either - but Supernatural set the rules for their brand of fiction, yes?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
For the sake of appearences, its not like he could tell Sam and Dean who he really was...
Flag
So god is a big liar?
Flag
Even as a Christian...sometimes it feels that way. Unforunately we won't know until we meet Him.
Flag
Oops, IPhone keys are to small ;-) sorry for the spelling errors :-)
Flag
Joshua said it himself in the episode titled Dark Side of the Moon; God is on Earth and you won't be able to find him, amulet or not. He's interfered more than he's done in a long time.... So that explaines why the amulet didn't work. And if Chuck wasn't God, how do you explain him smiling, looking up and then disappearing at the very end ?? Also his extensive knowledge about everything that's going, not just with Sam and Dean, but EVERYTHING down what cars rolled of the assembly line same year as the Impala. Chuck was God, pain and simple.
Flag
And to add on the "God returning part" didnt the Angel, Joshua said, that God is on Earth ? Even with or without the amulet it was impossible to find God, to quote Joshua. =D

Flag
I know I'd love to see Chuck back. I know a new prophet should emurge since Kevein is dead. I would bet Crowley already knows who it is.
Flag
Lucifer/Sam Was also dressed in white ... does that make him a god too, ignore the fact of the extreme psychic abilities to snap a human with a fingerclick ? i think the true purpose has not yet shown his face in the series, and that god still can make a reappaerance in the show ^^
Flag
Just listing some of what was pointed out as "evidence". Not sure if I buy it either. But Kripke wrote it ot be the Swan Song. There was to be no more (and indeed, Krpike left the day to day work of the show). So - Kripke could have meant that to be a big reveal only to have it retconned when they renewed it.
Flag
First of all, you (and everyone else ever) is right about the Season 5 finale. While Supernatural has had some very fine moments since then, the total storytelling just hasn't been anywhere near as tight and complete as it was those first five seasons, which really were one story.

As for Chuck, I'd really like him to be something more than a run-of-the-mill prophet, like Kevin, but I'm not sure I'd want him to be God. If it were done in a way that I can't foresee right now, I'd be willing to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not optimistic about that. I do think it's important that we never see Chuck die even though he would presumably need to for the next one to be activated. And I'd love to see him return to the series somehow. But part of what makes Supernatural work is that God is absent and unknowable. If He ever turns up, I think it would have to be peripherally.

Also, if Chuck were actually God, it would raise questions about the accuracy of Dean's (now trashed) amulet.
Flag
But in the episode 'Dark Side of the Moon' Joshua, who was in the Garden with Sam and Dean, told them that even with The Amulet, he wouldn't be able to find God. I personally hope The Amulet is found again, seeing as how it was more than just a symbol of hope in God, it was a big memento of the boys' brotherhood.
Flag
Yes, but that's EXACTLY why Dean threw it away when he did. Castiel was disillusioned with God, but Dean's trip to heaven with Sam disillusioned him about his brother. It was one of the most emotionally wrenching moments in the series. I kind of miss the amulet, but I don't know that I'd want it to come back, at least not to Dean, not right away. Sam maybe.
Flag
I loved that throwing-away-the-amulet moment, but next episode Dean seemed to have forgotten about Sam's heaven, and they never discuss it again. So the whole amulet thing was kind of pointless: this thing that Sam bought in a street market as a kid is really a very rare amulet that will burn in the presence of God but it doesn't and Dean throws it away because he is desillusioned about his brother but then he apparently isn't.
Flag
I thought he got the amulet from Bobby, though I don't think Bobby knew its real power even if he knew it was rare and valuable. And I don't think Dean forgot about Sam's heaven right away. Dean sincerely loses faith in his brother and is on the verge of saying "yes" to Michael in the next few episodes, but it's Sam's faith in Dean—against the advice of Bobby and Castiel—during their attempted rescue of Adam that restores their faith in each other.
Flag
Excellent points, harpier -- especially about the amulet, which never glowed in Chuck's presence. Since the writers made a point of telling us about the amulet's "true" power during season 5 (when Chuck would still have been alive to test the theory), it seems odd to ignore such a huge plot point (or get it wrong).

As far as Chuck's "ascension", we've never seen a prophet die from natural causes. Maybe that's how prophets are supposed to die?

I've heard snippets about the Chuck/God debate before and although I think it's interesting, I'm not convinced that Chuck was God.
Flag
I always thought this. It was an amazing finale.
Flag
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Rob Benedict said something along the lines that yes, his character did end up being God. I can't remember where it was though. However, I like the mystery behind it. Maybe, as you said, he didn't know until the end. Maybe he really was just a prophet. What happened to the character? Only one prophet can be 'aware' at a time, so if he's dead or God, then it gives reason for Kevin to be the new prophet. I highly doubt he is dead.

All in all, I love the Chuck character and Swan Song was the best season finale of the series. It's the only finale that has actually made me think.
Flag
And I have to agree that when it comes to a series finale, Swan Song was an absolute delight :-)

Flag
Of course he was, how else would you explain him dressed in white, and disappearing at the end....
Flag
Follow this Show
Members