A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursday, October 13, 2016)

Supernatural S09E19: "Alex Annie Alexis Ann"

Wow, so, that was like, really bad. 

I mean, at this point, Supernatural is typically balls-to-the-wall invested in the main story of the season, and while there were hints at Dean's Mark of Cain-inspired depravity this week, Dean brutally and irrationally slaying monsters isn't exactly unusual behavior. Jody Mills returned, and I love me some Kim Rhodes, I really do, but a rando monster-of-the-week episode—and a boring one at that—was just infuriating. Why are you wasting my time, Supernatural? All I ever want to do is love you!

I don't even know what to say, you guys. This episode just didn't matter. It's as though the show itself expended so much energy in last week's crazy-pants meta extravaganza that this week was designated for resting—and maybe next week too, based on the "meh" promo, which is alarming since it's the highly anticipated backdoor pilot for Supernatural: Bloodlines. I JUST WANT GADREEL AND ABADDON AND CASTIEL AND BOOGERTRON AND CROWLEY AND WHY ARE WE MESSING AROUND WITH THIS BASIC BULLSHIT RIGHT NOW WHY???

Here are the good that happened this week: 

1. Jody Mills lives to fight another day. Given Supernatural's track record for killing off side characters like it's no big thing (and on Supernatural, it really is no big thing considering how many resurrection options the writers have at their disposal), every time Jody appears I hold my breath and turn blue and pass out for, like, an entire commercial break because I'm just so nervous and let's face it, those resurrection options aren't used very often when we're talking about female side characters. 

2. There was at least a token acknowledgement of Dean's whatever at the Mark of Cain's influence. He's always been a little more bloodthirsty when it comes to vampire slaying than Sam, and I'm pretty sure he would have killed Vampire Henchman #2 with or without the mark, but he probably wouldn't have done it without Sam knowing, and he certainly wouldn't have been all sadistic and "LOOK AT ME, BITCH" with Vampire Henchman #3 at the end there. Maybe. IDK. Dean has issues. 

Everything else: 

LIKE WHAT THE F*CK WITH SAM AND DEAN BUT MOSTLY SAM BEING ALL "OH, YEAH, THAT VAMPIRE HOSTAGE CHICK TOTALLY SHOULD DIE EVEN THOUGH SHE'S HUMAN AND WAS PROBABLY BRAINWASHED FOR YEARS AND CAN'T HELP HERSELF." 

I kind of expect that attitude from Dean. That's not a dis on Dean, but just, historically, Dean has had a harder time seeing the gray areas in hunting. He's come a long way in nine seasons, but his first instinct is still "kill kill kill," especially when his target has a history of killing humans itself. 

I don't tend to expect that from Sam, though. Sam's history of being manipulated, brainwashed, possessed, and otherwise controlled through various intentional and unintentional means has historically made him a little more receptive to the nuances that come with human (and inhuman) interactions. For Sam to just jump on Dean's bandwagon, for no apparent reason—and even after Supernatural took detailed steps to make it clear that Annie hasn't been socialized outside of her nest, probably suffers any number of mental issues after spending so much time in captivity, and yet despite this, realized enough on her own to acknowledge that her home situation was bad and she needed to get out—was just very WTF. 

Then there's the fact that this episode was such an energy-suck following last week's so-relevant-it-hurts addition to the serialized aspect of Season Fine. 

At least the boys were pretty? 

I don't know. I'm crossing all appendages that next week's not-a-pilot pilot doesn't put me to sleep as fast as this week's snoozer did. 

CASE NOTES

– You know, I think I've said everything I have to say about this episode. NEXT PLZ!

What'd you think of "Alex Annie Alexis Ann"?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

254 Comments
Comments (254)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ok, so, at the beginning of the season, there seemed to be too many things going on, in a good way. I just thought the whole second half of the season would be full of balls-to-the-wall serialized goodness. With Megatron, Bartholomew (wow, I've never typed that name before, it's super weird), the church choir cult (don't remember who even lead them, at the moment), Castiel and his developing following, Gadreel (and the possession and its fallout) , Abaddon, and Crowley, along with Cain and his mark, oh, and Kevin off somewhere with his mom getting crazier and ghostier, and even the fact that Charlie may be being eaten by a flying monkey right now, I don't know. . . You see my point. I really thought there might not be time for a single one-off episode in the second half of the season, much less tons of them! It's too weird! I guess they aren't planning on wrapping up the demon and angel drama all this season, obviously.

Also, I really don't care for vampires in the Supernatural mythology. They're not scary, and they're not all evil. But my only real problem with the episode is that it has nothing to do with all the crazy brewing drama of the season, and I have no idea why, because it seems like we've got tons of ground to cover.

But, if this had been an episode somewhere much earlier in the season, perhaps, I wouldn't really have any complaints. Sheriff Mills and the actress who plays her are wonderful, and I actually totally felt for Alex/Anne by the end. I ended up emotionally drawn in to the whole thing, so good job to both actresses. But seriously. How is it possible that the writers didn't have anything more relevant to cover?
More+
Flag
Okay.
Don't reapers only show up when someone is near death? Tessa is in the next episode(not the one tonight, the next after.) Doesn't that mean...?
Flag
OMG IF YOU HATE NEW SUPERNATURAL EPISODES SO MUCH- STOP WATCHING IT.
Flag
OMG IF YOU HATE NEW SUPERNATURAL EPISODES SO MUCH- STOP WATCHING IT.

I hear your frustration, but as far as ratings go I'm guessing noisy, angry viewers are better than no viewers at all (or fewer of them). I think the vast majority of SPN's viewers still love and support the show and we're just hearing from an angry minority. I've visited other message boards that are a LOT more positive and supportive of the show and where it's trying to go. As strongly as I disagree with the negative comments on this board, everyone is still entitled to voice his opinion so this has to be ok. Hang in there, friend :)
Flag
You got a point. There are several mad viewers, but they also help keep the ratings up- I wouldn't want Supernatural to go off air!
Flag
I actually really liked this episode as it was a nice break from the season story arc. It was nice to catch up with Sherrif Mills and get a little more character development from her. It was a good ol' hunt of the week episode and I enjoyed it.
Flag
I tend agree with the above review although this episode was slighty better then last week , the problem is that this episode needed to be one of those light hearted ones. A bit like the one where dean was a dog, it was nice to see Jody back
Flag
That dog one was totally entertaining. :)
Flag
Not only was this episode a waste, it makes me want to take the show off my DVR. One more episode like this and I'm done. The writing is lazy and previous episodes have only shown flashes of decency. It's time to put the show down and keep some dignity to the series. It had a good run but it's obvious that no one cares about putting a quality season together anymore.
Flag
The episode was not bad at all. I think it not only had MOTW but made progress in both MOC arc and Sam and Dean relationship.

MOTW was interesting because of the teen angle and of course Jody.

As far as MOC goes, I for one want the progress towards Dark Dean to be gradual, one step at a time. Thats is exactly what this episode did - brought us one step closer towards DD.(Look at me , bitch!) Dean is becoming a sadist! Why should we see DD only when the main arc of the season is there? Why not in different situations?

And I loved it when Dean told Sam - I know you wouldn't do the same for me -(I don't remember the exact words). Dean is going to make Sam eat his words! Made me happy. Sam's words from Purge and the other episodes around it were too cruel. Still hurt. And this is after he called Sam - Sammy LOL!

All in all, a good episode.

And Ido af

Flag
I was very disappointed to read this----if you hate so much, why even watch?
Flag
Well, the first answer that comes to mind is... "she's being paid to, unlike the rest of us." :-)

People don't "hate Supernatural" - they dislike where this season (isn't) going. When episodes 19 and 20 are generic filler episodes, there's something terribly, terribly wrong with the pacing of the season. That's a simple fact. Are they going to resolve Abaddon, the Mark of Cain, and Metatron all in three rushed episodes, or are they going to carry it all over into the next season with no resolution? Neither sound very appealing.
Flag
That's exactly the problem! Nothing wrong with this episode, but the season's pacing makes no sense. (Hi, I'm watching this like a year late, I know. :) I imagine you already know what happened with all of the pacing issues. . . but I'm still here suffering through standalone episodes at the end of season 9!)
Flag
i couldn't agree more!!!!
Flag
Episode 21 is when the plot is going to start moving again. I hear it's going to be about abbadon and Crowley, hell it better be right? so we know Crowley with get in touch with abbadon in some sort if way, since he has the blade. Obviously she will appear face to face with him because the chances of the boys tracking her down this late in the season is unlikely and irrational since they have limited screen time. I think abbadon will fight him acquire the blade, then threaten Crowley to kill sam and dean or else she reveals a secret. (The secret being how Crowley was partially cured with human blood, and now less of a powerful demon leader? Therefore he is risking losing any followers he still has in this struggle for who is the leader of hell). The boys therefore will fight with Crowley and one of them might kill him, mostly likely dean because of the influence of the mark. Also I recall dean wanted to kill Crowley off in the beginning of the season but they kept him restrained half of the season, for information. something big is differently going to happen to Crowley either way, and one of them needs to die, otherwise the whole power struggle over hell arch this season would be pointless and has to have some sort of resolution
More+
Flag
One of then needs to die as in either Crowley or abbadon.
Flag
And one more thing I do wanna mention- if they are going to make MOTW episodes(I don't mind,) they should try to make them scary! I miss the old scary stuff in Season 1, seriously!
Flag
I came across some SPN video clips from when I used to use them as video wallpaper for my computer. One was of one of the opening season recaps, and I had the exact same feeling! There was a phantom hitchhiker, Bloody Mary, scary child ghosts, changelings... back when the monsters were MONSTERS. Now the "monsters" are nothing but people wearing plastic fangs or black contact lenses. There's no mystery to figuring out what they are or how to kill them... they just need to wrestle with them and stab them, which doesn't make the monsters very threatening. It's gotten more like Scooby-Doo :-(, where at most we note the two or three guest stars and try to figure out which one is the monster... the security guard, the coroner or the neighbor that they talked to?

I wouldn't mind the filler episodes if they were creative, scary and mysterious like the old days. Now it's all the same.
Flag
Oh man, finally I come across another horror fan! I thought maybe everyone that originally was drawn to SPN for the horror aspect of it left since the angel/demon plot had been drawn out. While we're on this subject, I was sorely disappointed on how they ended up making the slender man episode. :(
Flag
&I; thought maybe everyone that originally was drawn to SPN for the horror
&aspect; of it left since the angel/demon plot had been drawn out.

Finally someone else who sounds like they're as sick of angels and demons as I am. :-)

&I; was sorely disappointed on how they ended up making the slender man
&episode.; :(

The ruined Slender Man AND my beloved Ghost Facers all in one episode. :-(
Flag
Sam is a better hunter than this show has allowed him to be in the last few seasons. Guy has got to stop getting knocked out, tied up, snuck up on, etc. etc.
Flag
I agree, the amount of knockouts on this show has probably passed unrealistic levels at this point-- there are pro fighters who don't get knocked out this much and still end up with brain damage! Concussions are serious business! :P
Flag
When they don't just take out monsters nowadays by wrestling with them and then stabbing them (which most people can do so doesn't make the monsters seem very scary or the Winchesters very special) they get caught, tied up, and the villain goes on a three minute exposition spree to buy one brother the chance to cut their ropes or find the other and shoot/stab the monster.

I miss the days when the challenge was in figuring out what the monster even was and then how to kill it. The episode where they thought the father in a haunted painting was murdering people but it turned out to be the little girl was one of my favorite cases ever... twists and very scary. When's the last time we've had something like that? Or an interesting, powerful new creature like a djinn or a trickster? Or cool ideas like the Winchesters being wanted for murder?
Flag
Agreed-- the cliche "bad guy monologues" should be banned, or at least strictly limited to evil characters who have a particular penchant for arrogance and being excessively verbose as part of their personality (Metatron, for example.) Generally speaking, there are other ways for the heroes to figure out what's up, and those tend to be much more entertaining to watch.
Flag
It's probably why we see so much of 'Jerk Sam'. All the parts of his brain that were 'Good Sam' have been horribly damaged from hitting every surface known to man. :P
Flag
Maybe Annie will be brought into the spin-off? I dunno, I just want there to be more reason for this boring episode.
Flag
Aw, man. The dude who plays Clay on Bitten was one of the vampire brothers. I hated every single minute of his screen time on that show. This episode was ruined for me as soon as I recognized his name in the credits.
Flag
I don't think you guys should be so hard on MOTW episodes. After Bloodlines next week, they'll still have 3 episodes to finish up this season, and I think that's adequate.

This episode was decent, not thrilling, but okay. I did like the new girl and had some crazy thoughts about her and Jody being hunters together some day. I too was very pleased not to see Jody killed off - I always worry about her!

Did anyone else think that Dean was really "talking" to Abaddon when he said, "Look at me, bitch!"?

And I also loved that tiny moment at the beginning when Sam and Dean were joking about Jody being all grown up. I MISS their joking around so much, especially Dean's. I know it's his character arc and all, but still.... please let them be in a better place next season!
Flag
You think three episodes is enough to wrap up Abaddon, Dean dealing with (or getting rid of) the Mark of Cain, Gadreel, Metatron, the angel war on Earth and maybe going back to heaven? Plus setting up up for whatever season 10's going to be about?

The only thing worse that cramming all that in would be if they carried a lot of that over to season 10 and didn't give us any resolution this season, which is my suspicion unfortunately.
Flag
I agree that at this point in the season that the main storyline should be the focus right now. However, I did not think this episode was bad. I actually enjoyed it, especially with Sheriff Jody Mills coming back. I felt very worried during this episode expecting her to die but was surprised that she survived. That has to be a record in the supernatural-verse right?

I found that this episode reminded me of the old Supernatural before the whole apocalypse storyline. That being said, the apocalypse storyline was so awesome that the show has not been able to top it and has declined since Season 6. However, I still believe it is still an awesome show and remains to be my favourite to watch. I look forward to each new episode. However, I think the tone of the show has changed. I miss the old Dean who would make every moment amusing even at the most inconvenient times. It just seems to be a bit too serious nowadays.
Flag
As I read all the comments here, most of us are against Bloodlines being a spin off of SPN. What I am about to say may be difficult to swallow. Why are we all willing to watch this episode ? Lets not tune in on SPN next week. ( As difficult as this maybe for all of us ). If the ratings go down next week, don't you think that that will send a message to who ever thought of the idea of making a spin off of SPN ?

I believe whoever thought of the spin off of Bloodlines, expects to take the fans of SPN and have us/fans to tune in and say it's ok to have this spin off.

Bloodlines, I believe, should have been an new series on it's own. Not an extension of SPN. ( This way you never known, Bloodlines may be a great new show on its own/ or maybe a failure ),

SPN is a show that needs no spin off. We don't need copy cats of Sam and Dean. Sam and Dean are irreplaceable !

I maybe too harsh but I can't stand the thought of replacing a new Sam and Dean. I maybe totally wrong but I think this is what Bloodlines is trying to do.

Now I am going to duck. I am expecting eggs to be thrown at me for saying all I have said in this comment.
More+
Flag
This is my opinion. I also said Bloodlines could be a great new series on it's own/or not. But as an extension of Supernatural it feels like the producers have given up on Sam/Dean / the show. This is the point I am trying to make. I was giving only my opinion on not watching next weeks SPN show and the reasons I think why. This again is my opinion and never meant to sound like I am forcing anything on you. I apologise if that's how it came out in my comment.
Flag
Yeah I get it's your own opinion. I just thought it was a bit ridiculous to ask other people not to watch as well. You can go ahead and not tune in next week's episode if that's how you feel but just know other people don't have to.
Flag
And yeah you did make it sound like you were asking other people not to watch next week's episode with this quote:

Why are we all willing to watch this episode ? Lets not tune in on SPN next week. ( As difficult as this maybe for all of us ).

We were just telling you, in our own opinions, why we're going to watch. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh in mine. I was just stating my opinion as well.
Flag
You're kidding, right? This is obviously a joke. I am not going to not watch Bloodlines next week just because some 'fans' think the spinoff is gonna suck when no one but the director at this point has any clue on what it's about. I don't know what people's problems are this season but it's getting a tad annoying. Like everyone else said here, I'm not looking to replace the Winchester brothers either. They are irreplaceable.

But I'm willing to give new characters a shot and I wish more people are open to the idea of new characters appearing whether it's male or female, whether it's in SPN or a spinoff.
Flag
Sorry to disagree, but I'm planning to watch next week, and give Bloodlines a chance. I happen to think the SPN setting is pretty great, and if it takes on a life of its own like other great universes that spawned multiple shows (Star Trek, Stargate, Buffyverse, etc.) that would be cool with me. I love Sam and Dean, and I'm not looking to "replace" them. But at this point, I'm interested enough in their unique universe that I'd like to know more about the other stories that could be happening in it.
Flag
Lets not tune in on SPN next week. ( As difficult as this maybe for all of us ). If the ratings go down next week, don't you think that that will send a message to who ever thought of the idea of making a spin off of SPN ?

Everyone should be allowed to have an opinion and you shouldn’t be afraid to voice yours. However, I disagree with you and with most of the negative comments flying around this board recently.

Boycotting Supernatural could have larger consequences than just hurting the spinoff. In fact, it may not even hurt the spinoff at all, because the advertising is reaching an audience beyond Supernatural’s audience, so there are probably people who will tune in without knowing anything about Supernatural. But what if a boycott creates a ripple effect that actually harms THIS show? I guess those folks who have been howling that the show should have ended after season 5 will finally be happy, but there are plenty of us who have enjoyed seasons 6 – 9 and want the show to continue a little longer.

I love this show and will continue to watch every episode until it is done. I’m not 100% clear on why the writers and producers are doing what they’re doing, but I’m willing to give them a chance to tell the story the way they want to tell it.

We are all “Team Free Will” and can watch whatever we want, and change the channel whenever we please. I plan to give Bloodlines a chance, just like I gave Supernatural a chance and ended up falling in love with the show. If I watch 1 or 2 episodes of Bloodlines and don’t like it, so be it. I know how to use a remote control.
So now, I’m probably the one who will be dodging eggs.
More +
Flag
&but; there are plenty of us who have enjoyed seasons 6 – 9

Nobody enjoyed Season 7. Nobody.
Flag
Nobody enjoyed Season 7. Nobody.

Please don’t presume to speak for all of us. Season 7 may not have been your favorite, but it’s one of my top 3 – after 4 and 5. We learned about Bobby’s past, and we met Charlie and Kevin for the first time, as well as Frank Devereaux – one of my favorite characters, by the way. I personally thought the leviathans were interesting because they were the only monsters in a LONG time that the Winchester’s couldn’t figure out a way to kill. There was a lot of value in season 7 even if you and some others can’t see it.
Flag
It was a boring episode but still managed to be better than the mess that was THINMAN. I still can't get over how horrible that one was...
Flag
I didn't like that one either, though it did have a few humorous moments.
Flag
If it wasn't for Jody Mills, this would've been an utter bore. As it is, it still was yawn-inducing most of the time, but with a few serviceable moments.

The sheriff is seeing some love this season; I guess the writers realized that the list of good recurring characters who haven't yet been killed off is drastically short. Her scenes with the First Letter of the Alphabet gal more or less worked for me (even if the show was trying to draw parallels in a very heavy-handed manner). I also liked the initial scene with Sam and Dean, where the boys teased her a bit. This kind of humor seems rare these days on Supernatural.

The rest of the episode was, sadly, quite idiotic. Some vampire getting the jump on Sam, Dean getting knocked off... it's like I'm watching this every single time. They can't even profesionally deal with a ragtag group of monsters now without messing it up in the process, after all that hunting experience? And do the monsters have to be so utterly stupid as to leave one hunter untied, or even take their chances knowing full well the reputation of Winchsters? It's cringe-worthy.

They tried to tie Dean's bloodthirst into Mark of Cain towards the end, a bland attempt as it was. Still, a disappointing entry that I could've fast forwarded through, stopping only when Sheriff Mills was on screen. And I already fear for the next episode with its backdoor pilot burden.
More+
Flag
⩓ do the monsters have to be so utterly stupid as to leave one hunter untied, or
&even; take their chances knowing full well the reputation of Winchsters? It's cringe-
&worthy.;

You left out the obligatory three minute monologue of the villain as they relate all their plans to give one brother the inevitable opportunity to untie himself or get the jump on the villain. It's all gotten so Scooby-Doo.
Flag
I didn't think Sam was 100% on board with Dean's "kill,kill,kill" mantra with Alex/Anne. He seemed to be playing it in the middle by explaining to Jodie why they might have to take her out while not saying it for sure has to happen-more like he was preparing her for the reality of it being a possibility while Dean was for sure quicker to accept it as a given.
Flag
It is understandable for a show in its ninth season to be/feel "tired". The boys are hunters and by now they would be tired (like John was after all those years hunting). The writers should incorporate even more that factor, that someone with a life like this has many ups and downs (emphasis on down). Sam and Dean are people, they are tired but they are still doing what they know best, they try they fail, they win and so on. That's the point, keep on fighting no matter how tired of everything you feel (this isn't an ordinary every day job they have!) That's the main reason that all of us viewers keep watching and loving this show. We can certainly not go back to season 1, the boys have come a long way since that!!! Either we accept that or drop the show.
Flag
&We; can certainly not go back to season 1, the boys have come a long way since that!!!

Going back to season 1 would mean going back to fresh and original storytelling and not following a handful of rote formulas.

&It; is understandable for a show in its ninth season to be/feel "tired".

It's not the characters but the writers that are tired; they need to bring in a new set of writers to give us a different take on things.

Flag
Yes the writers should give us original and exciting stories but with some ups and downs I still like most of the stories though!

About the "tired" effect, I think that Dean right now is portayed as someone who is on the breaking point after all he's been through (he is tired). Both Sam and Dean are trapped in the hunting game, they can't escape it. That's one of the things I think the writers take into account and maybe try to show. After 9 years of hunting the boys would be tired that's a given.
Flag
In the case of the people v TV shows that run 22 episode seasons, I'd like to submit into evidence Supernatural S09E19.

This wasn't episode 9 of the season, it was episode 19. 19!!! Episode 19's of ANY series aren't supposed to be fillers. They're supposed to be laying the foundation of what's to come 3 episodes from now in the finale.

But here, we get filler. Next week, we get a back door pilot. That leaves 2 episodes to sort out the whole Abaddon vs Crowley mess (which at last check was completely stalled) as well as Castiel's new angel army vs Boogertron and heaven's new management?

So I guess this wasn't just filler, it's poor time management. Really poor. Like The Walking Dead poor. Unless they plan on carrying over both main story lines into next season, they've got 84 minutes to create resolutions to both...I for one am not optimistic.

After years of talking about it, I got my girlfriend to jump into Supernatural on Netflix. And every time she'd talk about how much she was enjoying it, I'd immediately follow up with, "Great isn't it? But be prepared to walk away from the series at the end of season 5.". She just finished season 5 and counter to my endless warnings, she didn't pretend like she didn't see Sam outside Dean's window and fired up season 6. "What happened to this show?!?!?", she asks. "I told you so...you brought this on yourself.", is the best I could come up with. I told her she need only suffer through 2.5 seasons of crap before things start picking up again. Perhaps I might need to amend that because if these final few episodes go down the toilet, I'm flushing this entire season too.

Boo Supernatural, boo!
More+
Flag
It's of little consolation, but this season is 23 episodes, so that leaves us 3 episodes to resolve all the outstanding plot elements.

My nightmare scenario is that they do indeed leave several of these plots open until next season, leaving us feeling empty with no conclusion and dragging them on. If all the fillers have already left some of us forgetting what's supposed to be going on, I can just imagine what carrying something like Metatron over into season 10 would do to viewers. :-(

I was considering making season 10 my last one way or another but now that this season has failed to live up to the quality of the last half of season 8 I'm not even sure I'd want to push on to season 10. :-(

They're just really stalling now; it's all about the money and holding on to their jobs. There's really nothing left to tell regarding the story of Supernatural and it's just repeating itself. I'd have had the gates of Hell closed in season 8 and a Crowley becoming used to being fully human emotionally and an angel doing the same would be in the back seat on an extended road trip with Sam and Dean. :-) Season nine would be locking the angels in heaven (at least for a time) and/or Castiel finally becoming the new god. Purgatory would not have been a plot factor until the final Season 10; it would be the source of all monsters. Shut THAT and Sam and Dean finally get to live happily after ever. Any spin-offs would need to be set in the past.

More +
Flag
I don't think we are necessarily going to have to see Abbadon/Crowley/Cain/Cas/Angels/Boogertron (Love that! :D) resolved in 2 episodes...

I have a feeling that Abbadon/Crowley will resolve this season and Season 10 will take care of the whole Angel/Heaven/Cain issue...

The only question that remains for me is will Crowley survive Season 9.

I hope so. I have loved Mark Sheppard since his BSG days. He was also pretty awesome in LEVERAGE. He was even decent as Icheb's scumbag father in ST:VOYAGER.

If Crowley does die in Season 9, he will be missed by this fan, that is certain..
Flag
It would be deadly to extend Metatron to season 10; no one will remember what that's about anymore (I'm not sure most viewers even remember why he did what he did in the first place). He really doesn't make a compelling villain at all.
Flag
Crowley is so far and away the best/most consistent part of this show it's difficult to explain how big the gap is. If he dies, the only reason for me to stick around for season 10 is "Because hell...I've already been here for 9, might as well play it out I s'pose." Not a ringing endorsement.

If the plan is to stretch either or both of these plot lines out for another full season, then I can officially reach the conclusion that this show died after season 5 and that there are no redeeming factors worthy of watching beyond that.

Things started to turn around in season 8 but Abbadon & Boogertron are barely enough for a single season and would be more than enough to ruin the final 2.
Flag
It was a bit boring but at the same time I found it had a more mature vibe to it than we are used too. And I like the monster-of-the-week episodes. So it wasn't that bad. It would feel less of a waste if Alex became a recurring character. Supernatural needs some sexy and interesting female characters!
Flag
Idk I thought it was OK better than last week though. I think what got me into it was cuz the cheerleader's mom from Heroes played 'Momma' lmao. But yea in the beginning when I saw the Sheriff I thought yea she might be a goner on this one cuz you know track record and all. And I have no problem w/ the "look at me bitch!" line I loved it the look he gave him too. But what really just grinds my gears is that Sam & Dean get tied up almost every week, esp when the MOW thing going on, never fails. Or one is incapacitated and the others about to get killed and BAM one wakes up and saves the day. Honestly those vamps could've put all three of them down permanently, they already had the drop on them and they made Dean put his knife down, all he had to do was pump that shotty into Sam's back then turn it on Dean, both of them dead easy.
Flag
These filler episodes are the only wasteful things in Supernatural. There is minimum 1 in every season.
Flag
In early seasons at least 2-3, in these later seasons more like 5-6 fillers. That being said, a few of my favorite eps are "filler eps" but I agree that Supernatural (esp post season 5) uses wayy too many fillers to meet quota, and sometimes they stray so far away from the main plot threads for so long that ppl start getting bored and/or forgetting what the heck is supposed to be going on...
Flag
Just to echo the comment below.. 1??
Flag
FINALLY! BACK TO THE BASICS! LOVED IT! I don't care about the belabored [read: diluted] plot structures. I don't care about the battle between Heaven and Hell, or Metapuke and company...or even Crowley at this point. The show had to get back to its foundations and this was a step in the right direction. It was nice to see Jody again, too. Now we need to bring back Bobby!!! So sick of what angel is on who's side or the damn Mark of Cain crap and all the rest of the other tiresome twists. Keep up the good work, boys. That Meta episode almost lost me forever. Nice resurrection!
Flag
"Now we need to bring back Bobby!!"- Well, they seem to have big plans on TVD and TO to bring back pretty much all dead characters in the upcoming weeks... so maybe CW will do the same for Supernatural! Lol jp, I know TVD &TO share a different universe from SN..but in all seriousness, I know we'll see Bobby again, even if its not til the very, very end of Supernatural (a thought that makes me sad) I'm also hoping we see John again at some point, surely JDM can come back for at least a 5 min cameo?
My theory (or maybe just my blind hope) is that all this crap with Metatron is ended when the real God (READ: CHUCK) shows up.
Flag
It's just a feeling, but I think that JDM and the show are not thrilled with each other. The fact that he was unable to clear his schedule for AHBL2 and had to shoot scenes in LA to be inserted added to the fact that he has said publicly that he thinks the show ruined the character of John after he left doesn't leave me feeling like something could be worked out. Plus realistically JDM turned into a big star with a big star salary and Supernatural does not have big star salary money.
Flag
Yea, I've also heard there is bad blood between JDM and the show..but its really too bad they couldn't stow the crap aside and do something for the fans.. The fans who have stuck with this show since season 1, through its incredible highs and lows.. John Winchester is an integral part of the whole story and it would be fitting for him to return in the end, even if just for a moment. But alas, money is King and JDM is apparently a BFD now so I'm sure ur right and he won't return..
Flag
I have only one thing to say:

Flag
The only good part in this show.
Flag
hell yeah!
Flag
While I disagree with you about this ep (I actually enjoy MOW episodes. They tend to be a lot more light-hearted and truer to the original Supernatural feel), you did make me laugh at describing Dean as all 'Kill, kill, kill". Truer words never spoken :D
Flag
Bad writing in this one .
Flag
I wholeheartedly disagree. I think the season-long arc has been anything but interesting. The angels have been robotic and one-note, and the fight with Abaddon has been mostly wheel-spinning and non-scary threats.

This episode on the other hand had a lot of drama and a lot of heart. It doesn't matter at all to me that supernatural has done vampire stories before, what matters is that they're still infusing a lot of drama into these situations, and that we're getting a fresh perspective on it. Compared to some of the over the top one-off stories and tonally inconsistent fan favorite guest stars (Garth), Sheriff Mills showed real signs of character growth and consistency, and was really rewarding to see shine in this episode.

This may actually be my favorite episode of the season, because it didn't force the plot to go in a direction that it wanted -- it focused on these very well acted and truthful characters and told a bittersweet close ended story: something Supernatural is renowned for, but which is also atypical this season.
Flag
Monster of the week plots are okay, but not this late in the season. With next week setting up a spin-off I have no desire to see this has been a waste of two weeks which could really be building to a terrific finale. Let's not hope the finale is rushed when they had so much room for action.
Flag
I like the monster if the week episodes with new mythology like the purge ep this season.
Flag
I agree, its okay to show filler episodes at the beginning of the season but not towards the end. The episode was good but we got 4 episodes left. These last four episodes should be about the main plot which is killing abbadon and metatron.The other seasons didn't show fillers this late.
Flag
I think they have a monster-of-the-week plot-irrelevant quota they have to fill every season. I did appreciate the human/monster relations here. SPN generally skimps on monsters aside from "Grr I eat things, oop now I get slain".

I'm surprised that Dean didn't use the First Blade. You would think that thing would be urging him to pick it up again, tempting him at every opportunity.

It also surprises me that you didn't expect next episode coming. Everything released about Supernatural: Tribes has mentioned episode 20 and the description. I had been watching this part of the season expecting them to take a vacation from Heaven&Hell: Part 5 to lead in.
Flag
Dean couldn't use the first blade to kill that vamp cuz Crowley took it like right after Dean finally had it in his possession. Crowley believes that it would be safer wherever he's got it hidden, and is not planning on giving it back to Dean until he knows where Abaddon is and they go after her.
Flag
IDK... I really love the early seasons with all the random hunts!!! This season is so sad all the time. Dean had one good funny line this episode and it was like someone gave me my favorite candy! I love the intense stuff too but with the light mixed in. Oh and I love Jared/Sam but he needs a haircut. It doesn't have to be short but this season he looks older and I really think it might be the hair. Ok I'm going to go watch some Netflix and fill my soul with some old school Winchesters.
Flag
This season is so sad all the time. Dean had one good funny line this episode and it was like someone gave me my favorite candy! I love the intense stuff too but with the light mixed in. Oh and I love Jared/Sam but he needs a haircut. It doesn't have to be short but this season he looks older and I really think it might be the hair.

I agree with you. This season has been sad for me too -- mostly because the boys aren't together like they should be. Every kind word or kind look between them is like a "piece of candy". I miss the old Dean, too, with the one-liners, itty-bitty temper tantrums and funny faces. Hopefully he'll be back soon.

I personally liked Sam's Marlboro Man look from season 8 -- longer hair. He looks better clean-shaven (they both do), and I found myself wishing through most of seasons 8 and 9 that they would both shave, but Sam's season 8 hair length worked better for me.
Flag
I didn't hate this, and I guess I like when a show that at its core it technically a procedural but has a grander mythology likes to nod at its route near the end game. Especially when it has next year to remind itself and fans of the world of the show. I feel like Grimm attempts this but its procedurals tend to be a little come on guys basically because the world isn't entirely built yet. POI likes to do this too, but of course those standalones are almost evil in disguise we are in fact going to dump huge mythology on you. Those mythology episodes, basically nothing is going to happen to move things forward. Randomly, usually this starts my Wednesday nights off, but I watched it first before I used the Originals because I heard it was so terrible. It wasn't nearly that bad to me.
Flag
All of you are pissing me off. Like, the last two reviews, all of you said 'Wow, I wish there was more monster hunting and less storyline!" and crap, and now that they had a monster hunting episode, ya'll are mad? LMAO. Ok. Keep it true guys.
Flag
I feel like for every episode of story progression, we get 2-4 filler episodes that just make the Winchesters spin their wheels in place. I love Sheriff Mills and all, but this episode felt like it belonged more in the early seasons, before there were more angels and demons popping up everywhere. The whole situation seemed like it could have been handled by other hunters (there are still other hunters out there, right?). Supernatural fillers tend to be much better (and funnier!) than other shows' filler episodes, but this one just felt unnecessary, I too was worried that they would kill Mills off, but I'm glad they didn't. Next week doesn't look too promising either, as I have zero interest in the spinoff. *sigh*
Flag
I also agree with Maryann's review this week.

Flag
As a filler this show was good. But come on. It make no sense to add this filler in at this stage of SNP. The only thing that made sense , at this point of the show was Dean transformation because of the Mark of Cain. ( But we already know that ). The show has evolved passed vampires and shift changers. Sam and Dean stopped the apocalypse, for Pete's sakes. SPN now looks like every other new show of this gondera. Instead of going forward with the awesome story line. The writers are going backwards. What about the actors ? Do they have any say in the production and writing of SPN ? If the answer is yes, then Jensen and Jared are only there for the money and not for the growth of their career and for the down fall of their show. If the answer is no, then they should leave the show and move on to better things. Please don't get me wrong. I have come to love this show and that's why I am so let down and passionate in what I am writing right now. With so much great material to work with, I don't understand the terrible direction SPN has taken. Super Natural now looks like The Vampier Diaries.
More+
Flag
Lol...dont you think you're being a bit exaggerant? The show looks nothing like TVD...
Flag
I wouldn't be surprised if this episode was created to give the writers more time to work on the next episode that does continue with the Dumbatron/Gadreel storyline.

btw, I like watching Kim Rhodes, she is beautiful but I would like it if she had at least one of the two pimples on her temples, preferably both, removed. Now it looks like her devilish horns are trying to grow. :-D
Flag
That could be the pilot of a new spinoff! The domestic adventures of Alex and Sheriff Mills, coping with monsters and a surrogate mother/daughter relationship. How does that sound?
Flag
if they didn't have 2 major storylines going on at the same time, maybe this episode wouldn't have been so bad. But really what is this with the fillers and little to no episodes devoted to at least abbadon or metatron? If it's going to take this long to deal with abbadon, then they should've saved her for next season and focus on metatron. this filler also missed out on the alpha vamp. Why have some generic vamps? when will the alpha return? especially his 'promise' to 'see them next season'? that was season 7, we are more or less done with season 9.
So yes, good to see Jody again, but another lackluster end? like the other guest characters like garth and the ghostfacers. Are they trying to make this season as depressingly bad as possible? Why not have the guest take part in the big battles than these unimportant and recycled side plotlines? It's hard for me to say it, but at least season7 knew what it was about. Season9 is so all over the place it's like they forgot what the hell is going on.
Flag
Abba who? I don't even remember her anymore...
Flag
lol, exactly. it's like what's the point in bringing her back if she's hardly around. For the major threat she has been, you'd think she'd show up at least as much as lucifer did and make her presence known than cowering on the sidelines. Sure they probably built up her character as an afterthought, but maybe they tried too hard and now they have no clue what to do with her.
Flag
before anyone says it, i know last week was about metatron, but the point is he is in a handful of episodes. they could've split the season in 2 and focus the first half on defeating metatron and then the 2nd half for abbadon instead of trying to take on both, but having a bunch of unrelated and useless fillers.
Flag
I beg to differ, with all due respect. The entire angels-castiel-metratron-gadreel-and-so-on to me has lost its appeal. It's as if everything is being pulled into the story just to give it extra juice - well, to me it doesn't. It's confusing, the story line seems to get snowed under the many odd and farfetched, incomprehensible plots. As far as I'm concerned – and don't get me wrong, I'm a big, big SP fan – it's time to wrap up the series (ducking to avoid the tomatoes). Even Sam and Dean can overdue their stay.
Personally, I liked this episode a lot and it was the first episode in a long time that I actually kept watching without surreptitiously zapping the remote every now and then. So yeah yeah it's all been done before, and no it doesn't do the big last week-thingy. So what? I thought it was great to watch, I love Jody with all her down-to-earth intensity. I enjoyed the way Alex/Anne was torn between loyalty and resentment. And Dean in the last scene with just that hint of Cain in him: that was just spot on.
That's just my two cents.

Flag
I guess your appreciation of this episode depends on your appreciation of films like Martha Marcy May Marlene which it tries to reference.
I don't think it's wholly successful at that, but I really enjoyed the episode for what it was and was never bored by it.
Flag
I really liked the episode. It was a little slower and gave us time to dig deeper into Jodie Mills, and I appreciate exploring some of our favorite recurring characters. She's a favorite of mine and I enjoyed watching her. I'm also interested in what happens in the future between her and Alex/Annie.
Flag
I think the Sheriff Mills and her foray with a MOW would have made an excellent standalone episode, without Sam and Dean making an onscreen appearance. I think a lot of the secondary character focused eps this season would have been greatly improved if Sam and Dean weren't involved because their involvement and current issues seem to detract instead of enhance an episode that is focused on somebody else. They just seem like a tacked on distraction. Give the guys some weeks off, I won't run screaming because Sam and Dean aren't there being generally useless or having the same damn argument incessantly in the background. Also, Sam and Dean seem too seasoned for this type of rookie level bumbling that ensues in these types of cases to even seem remotely believable at this point. I think the episode would have been received better if it had happened EARLIER in the fucking season too.

SPN has a pacing problem. Always has, always will. It's too late for them to enter a 12 step-program. The end. Just because they want to carry the storylines over to the next season, doesn't merit them having all the major story arcs just fall-off this season. Oh, lots of stuff is occurring, but just OFF SCREEN, guys! I know they like to break the fourth wall, but off screen doesn't actually exist on a television show. I thought everyone learned the valuable lesson of SHOW and TELL in kindergarten or there about, but clearly I am mistaken.

I think the writers have sorta learned that: 1) Killing all the secondary characters is bad 2) Killing all the secondary characters that the fans like is bad 3) Killing all the female characters is also bad. So, they refrain from killing Jodie, but they can't resist maiming her! Impaled and now a destroyed knee. Issues. Just so many fucking issues.

The Mark of Cain storyline is such BULLSHIT. Or it's bad plotting is making it look like bullshit. Fans are speculating up a storm, but the show itself is not on the level at all! I'm sure by the final episodes of the season, the POWAH and the GREAT BURDEN of the mark will have Dean going nutso, murdertastic or something, but the fucking build-up is non-existant (non-existant build-up is becoming this series' theme). I wish Cain!Dean was channeling Nearly vampire!Dean or Fresh outta Purgatory!Dean. Jensen's acting intensity mixed with some creative camera work and editing to convey the sensory change in him. Something. Even, Cas' little perturbed frowning about the mark, didn't lend any type of true anticipatory horror about what the mark means for Dean. Right now, Dean just seems to be suffering from a severe case of PMS and alchoholism. And billions of women suffer with PMS on the daily and they have YET to go on a gleeful killing spree. Dean better woman up and sober up.

OT: Is Jared ill? He looks sick.

More+
Flag
Vote to support Supernatural:

"Slumber Party" has been nominated for a Rondo award. Voting is free and by email if you want to support the series: http://rondoaward.com/rondoaward.com/blog/?p=32
Flag
I agree about the Sam thing, it makes no sense ...

The writers screwed up! The episode was a waste of time. I hope that Alaina Huffman sticks around, I'm so sick of female characters dying on this show! She deserves to stay.

p.s. The show has been on the air for 9 years, NO MORE STANDALONE EPISODES PLEASE! They need to sort this shit out.

pss. The review is right on point.

psss. Where was Cas?!!?!?
Flag
In episode #21, 'King of The Damned,' the crap really hits the fan. Abaddon orders/demands Crowley to kill Sam and Dean or she will reveal a super secret about him. I think Jensen Ackles said the episode will be devastating. I hope Crowley isn't killed off.
Flag
Crowley lived 5 seasons and was the Big Bad of Season 8. He's lasted longer than any major villain on the show. It's time. He hasn't been the same this season. Let Abaddon go on to be the undisputed queen of Hell.
Flag
True he isn't 100% the same Crowley he was before the last episode of last season. He isn't supposed to be because he was partially cured. But I would say he's still at least 90% the old Crowley. Time for him to go? No way.
Flag
Jeez... I missed last week. Now I'm going to have to watch it online!

I didn't hate this episode, even though monster of the week episodes aren't my favorite.
Flag
the most hilarious thing was sam's bewildered face throughout the whole thing and I wish I could say its from the blood loss . But he has been wearing this look the whole season.
Flag
Barring any future referral, I probably could have skipped this episode and not cared... Stand-alone episodes are great if they are funny ( Hunteri Heroici), radical (The French Mistake) or mind-blowing (My Heart Will Go On)..

This episode wuddn't any of those....
Flag
I agree. I think the the best episodes this that I really enjoyed so far was; dog dean afternoon, slumber party, and the purge
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC