A Supernatural Community
Thursday 8:00 PM on The CW (Returning January 26, 2017)

Supernatural S09E20: "Bloodlines"

Yuck.

Admittedly, "Godfather with fangs" is a concept that appeals to me, and I'm even willing to overlook the usual CW formula to say that Supernatural: Bloodlines might just have some potential. I just really hate backdoor pilots. They're basically a bait-and-switch. "Oh, you thought you were going to watch Supernatural? Here, watch this thing that's just like Supernatural and maybe even better than Supernatural." 

"Bloodlines" was none of these things. It was an hour of awkward dialogue that introduced us to the pretty-people monsters of Chicago's underbelly. It was Sam and Dean reduced to nagging nannies. I'd say Jedi Knights, but they just weren't that cool or helpful, and Sam's desperation to keep newbie Ennis out of the hunting life would've been so much more touching if he wasn't so desperate with literally every new hunter they come across, and if we didn't already know that Ennis was going to ignore him because VENGEANCE. Also, he totally killed a human at the end there—a murderous, crazy-ass human—but is the show going to address that? No? Okay. Dean and Sam are so dead inside. They don't have time for this shit. You could almost see the air of "Fine. We tried. Go get yourself killed, we gotta go save the world again," when Dean received that conveniently-timed-excuse-to-leave phone call from Cas. 

"Bloodlines" also ripped off Supernatural's own pilot with an impressive amount of Sam and Dean backstory crammed into Ennis and Dave's crabbypants existence: absent dad, "How dare you go to college???" vibes, overprotective big brothers making crappy decisions on younger brothers' behalves, a fridged girlfriend—and, like, so fridged, I mean, at least Jess lasted for the whole episode before getting torched on the ceiling and hey, getting torched on the ceiling is a badass way to go out compared to... getting thrown into a wall? Really? How many times per week do Sam and Dean get tossed like that? If Bloodlines gets picked up to series, how many times will Ennis get tossed like that? 

Killing off the ladyfriend so early wasn't just a lazy way to push Ennis into the hunting life (is there a single male on this show who didn't get into hunting because of a dead girlfriend/fiancée/wife?), it also took away the potential to make Bloodlines a truly unique take on the mythology established over the past nine seasons in Supernatural. Though, judging from the essential rewrite of the entire way that shapeshifters function, methinks "established mythology" isn't going to be nearly as prominent as it should be. They're supposed to leave goo everywhere! And shed their skin when they change shape! Unfortunately, that sort of thing doesn't appeal to the horny 17-year-old demo The CW is so desperate to keep watching now that Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are married thirtysomethings with children. 

There. I said it. 

Anyway, while Supernatural has only recently gotten its heroes off the road and established in a home base, Bloodlines is meant to be a Chicago-centric series. Without that angle, we can assume that Ennis and Dave will meet people, and that when knowing those people grows inconvenient, they won't just jump in their car and drive across a few state lines. These characters are settled in. And by letting Ennis's fiancée live, Bloodlines could have explored the balance between home life and hunting life in a way that Supernatural hasn't been able to. For the Winchesters, it's always been one or the other. Bloodlines could've had both, but instead opted for the tired old dead-girlfriend-vengeance quest. 

Outside of the Supernatural name that's slapped onto the outside of the package, "Bloodlines" is related to its parent show only in the barest of resemblances. There are monsters. There are hunters. I can't tell whether "Bloodlines" wants to be a glossy alternative to Supernatural's grit, but it's certainly more glossy and glamorous than two unshaven dudes riding around in a muscle car that probably smells like man-sweat and Burger King. Sam and Dean tend to tackle a lot of redneck monsters, but the baddies in "Bloodlines" come from the highest echelons of society. They take a more nuanced approach to survival, which is the only explanation I can come up with for why every hunter with some free time hasn't swept through Chicago to clean house. I also wouldn't be surprised to learn that some of those payoffs and arrangements Dave mentioned were with hunters. 

However, this brings up the same issue I had with Supernatural itself back when we learned that there was an entire hunting community out there, not just three Winchesters in a car: How could two men who were literally raised in the life, given no other options for how to spend their adulthood, and completely unable to even consider doing something else (well, at least that's the case for one of them) not know that there was more out there than just their dad, a diary, and a few scattered allies?

If the five families of Chicago have tangled with hunters before (and I'm sure they have), and if they have some kind of arrangement or agreement or something somewhere, then how could Dean and Sam not know? 

Maybe they were busy with that whole apocalypse thing. 

That particular WTF, however, works in a roundabout way to "Bloodlines"' advantage. I tried very hard to remain impartial and I know I failed spectacularly due to my annoyance at sitting down to watch Supernatural and then not getting to watch Supernatural. Here's the thing, though: Supernatural has done some really great things. It's one of the most unique and creative shows airing on The CW today and the fact that we're nine seasons in and headed for a tenth highlights the viability of the concept as well as fan interest and dedication... but Supernatural did not start out that way. It wasn't bad, but it lacked the meat that came with later seasons and the evolution into a more mythology-heavy, serialized show. I'm just as guilty of anyone else of getting nostalgic for the first season (or second, personally, OMG I love the second season) but really, what was the first season about? Two pretty male twentysomethings hunting a different monster every week while being really sexy about it. 

What I'm saying is, "Bloodlines" didn't impress me much, but it has potential to be worthwhile with a little—or a lot—of tweaking. The writers certainly got the man-angst portion of the program right with dead lovers, family politics, and absentee parental units abounding. But if Bloodlines wants to tap into all that sweet, sweet Supernatural rabid fandom of crazy—which it so clearly does, what with the backdoor pilot and all—it needs to respect its source material and at the very least, let the damn shapeshifters shed. 

CASE NOTES

– "What's with the NRA Christmas in here?" I like Dave. It makes sense. He's basically Sam. I don't not like Ennis (a.k.a. Dean), but I'm just kind of over the tunnel-vision revenge-and-bloodthirstiness schtick. 

– Dumb Winchester Sighting: all of it, probably done on purpose to make Ennis look smart enough to hunt on his own in anticipation of giving him a show. I hate backdoor pilots. Have I mentioned how much I hate backdoor pilots? 

– The Black Keys music FTW! Love "Little Black Submarines." 

– Is it sad that I predicted everything about Ennis's dad as soon as they said he was "dead?" Yawn. 

– Will you be watching Bloodlines if it gets picked up? I'm willing to at least give it a chance. It's hard to judge a show based on one episode, especially when that episode isn't even technically an episode of that particular show. (See what I mean about backdoor pilots? SEE?) 

– At the same time, this wasn't really en episode of Supernatural either. This half of Season Fine has been so Season Nein. Get it together, show! 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 12/8/2016

Season 12 : Episode 8

Next Episode

AIRS ON 1/26/2017

Season 12 : Episode 9

473 Comments
Comments (473)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I loved it, was bummed to read that it didn't get picked up. So many fans whine about the disruption in the supernatural storyline that they didn't give this pilot at real chance. Hypothetically speaking, showing this pilot as a separate webisode or would've given it a better chance. It's storyline is way better than some of the other shows cw has to offer. I'm disappointed with the reactions. Syfy reboot it!!!
Flag
This was awful. I cried.
Flag
This was the most boring episode in the history of the show. In fact, possibly the only boring one. To be honest, I'm only half way through it and thinking of skipping the rest, just read the recap.
Flag
I was thinking all the hate was unwarranted.... but that was before I actually sat down to watch the damn episode. I got so bored with it that I literally dozed off to sleep and I never do that with the shows I love. Supernatural seasons 3-5 are some of the best seasons in the history of television (I won't call the show great now, but it used to be. The brothers never fail to entertain even now though). This was nothing like Supernatural and the bastardizing of its mythology along with making Sam and Dean really stupid infuriated me quite a bit. Add in pretty people who couldn't act to save their lives, I couldn't wait for the episode to be over. I am a straight guy, but what was up with that heavy makeup on every girl! So very relieved that it won't tarnish Supernatural's name. Thank you CW for not ordering it to series.
Flag
Boooorinnnng!!! I was looking at the clock all along!! It's a teen show, like many others that already run on TV! I didn't find any of Supernatural essence, vibe, soul... It was overacted and blah! It felt like this one episode of Supernatural when Dean and Sam get in the middle of TV shows, like they really didn't belong there!! So, picked up or not, whatever, but do not name it Supernatural!!
Flag
I had a hard time getting over the fact that three of the characters (Sal, David and Julian) have also played characters on Pretty Little Liars (detective Wilden, Dean Stavros, and detective Holbrook; respectively). I'm so used to seeing Sal and Julian be stupid detectives that like to flirt with minors that it's hard to see them as "monsters". I'd give Bloodlines a few episodes though so that I could actually get a feel for it.
Flag
"I'm so used to seeing Sal and Julian be stupid detectives that like to flirt with minor"s that it's hard to see them as "monsters"." - LMAO I suppose that depends on your definition of monster lol, but I get what you are saying. And thank you, I couldn't figure out where I had seen them before.
As for this episode it was pretty terrible, but part of me thinks it could have been an ok story if Ennis wasn't in it and the writing improved.
We have Supernatural so we don't need a continuation of hunters with daddy issues. I do think that getting to see the Supernatural world through the eyes of the different monsters and seeing how they interact with each other would have been a cool idea.
Personally some of my favourite episodes were when the supernaturals teamed up like Meg and Cas. It could have been cool to see how they deal with things like hunters, like maybe they throw someone under the bus so the hunter thinks their work is done and leaves, or they are so organized they police themselves.
I don't know I think it had potential if they cut the baby hunter (Ennnis) character, but the writing definitely needed improvement.
More +
Flag
Oh God, I was SO BORED. I don't think I've ever, EVER been so bored during an episode of this show. Is it a sign? Please don't let it be a sign! I want to believe damn it!
Flag
Poor Cole. Ripped away from the other side in TVD and landed here,
Flag
I have to say, some parts were cool, but like you said, it feels like watching season 1 from Supernatural...two guys that are going to hunt or whatever with a purpose bla bla bla bla bla....sorry Ennis...you tried, but because Supernatural doesn't understand when to stop airing the show, your show will suck...but as always will there be enough crazy people who will watch it and i wouldn't be suprised if it even makes the second season...weird
Flag
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting considering all the bad press. I enjoyed bits of it and I'm just saying shape shifters are not supposed to be that beautiful and nice. Big brother warewolf is a dick and princess shapeshifter has a power complex that just makes her a bitch. Part of me want this to succeed if only just to see hunky David but then I'd be happy to see it fail so The Originals can get Kol back either way I get to see the same actor week after week.
Flag
Just watched it. That sucked. I wish I had just skipped it. It was less than irrelevant to the overall plot of the season 9 of Supernatural. At least backdoor pilots like The Farm (the Shrute family spin-off of The Office) had something to do with the source material, even if it didn't get picked up. Hell, even on CW, if they had gone with the backdoor for The Flash, it probably would have had at least something to do with Oliver's storyline. This just the the brakes on what little momentum the show has at this point in the season. I'm ready for this Abbadon fight just for something to finally happen. And this after that stupid Meta Fiction episode. Get it together show! At least CW made the right decision with Flash. That one deserves its own pilot. I can't wait.
Flag
The shifter thing is what automatically stood out for me. I remembered they look pretty gross in their natural form and yes, goo. I was pretty thrown off by how they are handling them in this show. Yes, backdoor pilots can be pretty whack (i.e. The Originals) but once they get started on their own, they can be much better (i.e. The Originals:-)). However, I don't necessarily anticipate that for this show and that's mainly due to the fact that I can care less about any of the characters and the whole monster godfather thing just seems really lame - REALLY. I also agree about the whole thrown against the wall death - also, VERY LAME. This is the CW though and it's a supernatural show with pretty people so it will likely last. It just won't be me contributing to the ratings.
Flag
That was horrible, boring and not Supernatural! They can make Bloodlines if they want but don't ever make me watch it again while all I want is my weekly Supernatural dose. It just doesn't have the same vibe. I'm not even sure there can be a Supernatural without Sam and Dean. Or they have to add new characters with more charisma. There are still so much stories to tell about Sam and Dean but the show needs to reinvent itself while keeping the same atmosphere. This season was off to a good start but lost its momentum due to bad writing regarding the fallen angels storyline and the lack of focus on killing Abaddon. Those two plots could have been more intertwined, I would have thought the angels, instead of fighting each others would rather have killed as many demons as they can. The first half of the season was good but things became a bit dull and uninspired (except for a few episodes) in the second half. Please writers, make Supernatural smart and entertaining again.
Flag
Ok seriously.... this was bad man! I even thought I had dvred the wrong show in the beginning... Please CW, do Supernatural a favor and wrap things up on the next season!
Flag
Dude, it's official: Jensen Ackels and Jared Padilicki are no longer the worst actors on tv.
Flag
Your opinion. Grow up !
Flag
Dear God, and here I thought I thought Supernatural was bad! KILL IT!! KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!
Flag
yep... its official... i ain't watching the spin off...
Flag
The music score was terribly annoying, so that is a right out no for me.
Flag
I kind of want to see more, wasnt terrible just decent. The whole David and his girl friend romeo juliet vibe annnoyed me.

I do agree that it was lazy to have his gf die to get him into the business could have just witnessed a monster killing and got into it then.

It was dumb that a mere human with freedie kruger hands was able to kill a full club of monsters and get scott free.

Who ever directed this episode did a bad job. The slow motion stuff, the transitions and some of the fight scenes were done poorly. Maybe they didnt have enough foootage, maybe its the editor fauglt but some of the stuff in the epsiode could have been directed a lot better.
Flag
Yah I just didn't like Ennis, his acting kinda sucked and his whole story is a rip off of the Winchesters. Maybe it was bad writing, because I don't think any of the characters particularly shined, but I am more interested in the supernaturals than another newbie hunter. I feel like they don't need a hunter on the show for it to still be linked to Supernatural. I like the idea of seeing how the supernaturals interact with each other and survive in the world. It could have been a cool premise without Ennis.
Flag
I had no idea this was back door pilot for supernatural spin-off because it was title bloodlines when the spin off is called tribes . I actually liked this episode because i love concept of underground supernatural family who have adults lives . With supernatural all we saw were hunter but this spin-off show how supernatural people actually provide a living for themselves acting as human . Hasn't anyone question if sam and dean don't paid to be hunter how can afford petrol for all the road trip -where does the money come from ?. How can afford all those hotel rooms?.

I am certainly looking forward to this if this get made or not and i do hope the writers are reading our comments about this spin-off to make it better.
Flag
I agree with all you have said. The writing of this episode was kinda crappy and I don't like the Ennis character at all but other than that I agree that it is cool to see the supernatural perspective.
As for how the brothers pay for their life style they steal a lot of credit cards and things like that. At least that was what they were doing in the first couple of seasons, they have stopped commenting on it though.
Flag
I'm willing to give it another shot. Second chances and all, but there was so much wrong with this pilot. The story line was weak and did not live up to it's potential. And the first villain was a human. Seriously?! A show all about supernatural mobsters and they get played by a grieving father? Granted, those claws were pretty cool, but come on! If they don't seriously step up their game, even the man candy can't keep me watching this show beyond two episodes.
Moreover, I can't stand Ennis. Sorry, but the dude is anoying as hell.
The female characters are downright insulting. I mean, really? First one dies, second one is a powerhungry bitch and the third one is a whiney pushover. She let her brother call her a bitch and another man keep her from running away with her boyfriend? For godsake, you're werewolve: stick up for yourself!
And such a shame they killed off Sal Lassiter so quickly. It made sense for the story, but I just really like Bryce Johnson. Talk about wasted potential. He could have brought some much needed creep factor to this show.
Pretty much the only thing I like about this show so far is David. As long as he gets over Violet and finds a girlfriend who can keep up with his snappy wits and help him embrace his bad boy potential. And also, very cute ;)
More+
Flag
alright that was an awkward episode...

David, a shape shifter, and Ennis, a cop!!! are the new Sam and Dean...
the feeling of the set reminded me of Angel and Buffy and not the supernatural world!

and are we supposed now to feel for a shape-shifter and humanise him??? that confuses me... are we going to have monsters as allies? yeah great :S

I mean, it is ok to have monsters families to run the city but the show should be about hunters and it is alright to make deals sometimes... but come on ... make a monster one of the good guys?!!! it should be like one in a million and not a regular thing!
and they do not have demons yet I suppose! are we going to pretend surprised when they introduce demons and angels?! or are they going to not go there...
you know, demons/angels is one of the best things that happened to Supernatural.

regarding hunters not know about those families running the city; maybe they have a spell that make hunters forget about them once they leave the city. :S

I will though give it a chance.
Flag
I don't mind if they portray some of the "monsters" as ok. If you think about it they have being doing that more on Supernatural. Especially when you consider a lot of these people are turned, it isn't like they have committed some grave sin, gone to hell, become a monster, and are now terrorizing people. They got bit or where born into it. Majority yes, should remain monsters, but I would expect a minority to be rather controlled and as humane as possible.
Also working with them or letting them rule over each other for the sake of order has been proven to be a good thing on Supernatural too. Think about the chaos when they got rid of Lucifer. There is no way to kill all supernaturals, so having someone like Crowley in charge is actually beneficial to all. Yes bad things still happen, but not as often or as brutal. I think Abbadon has proven that too, she is cray and cause a more havoc than Crowely. When God left look at the damage the angels did.
When the cat is away the mice will play, or so the saying goes. I would rather have a few crime families in charge than open war. Devil you know type thing. Which is why I liked the idea of the supernaturals in charge, what I didn't like was Ennis. Weak newbie hunter with the same daddy issues and relationship drama as Sam & Dean, basically he is a crappy copy.
I will grant you that it is ridiculous to pretend that hunters didn't notice Chicago was run by monsters, but than again if they run everything smoothly and leave the carnage to a minimum maybe that explains it.
More +
Flag
Right, so... that was truly mediocre.

Just as I feared, Sam and Dean looked completely out of place there. As if plucked from an entirely different setting and threw right into this new environment. Them guest starring on The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, or Grimm would've probably felt more organic than this. This "backdoor pilot" (and the so called spin-off that it's been trying to establish) seemed to have zero connections to the Supernatural I knew, other than the name and a familiar pair of hunters popping for a couple of minutes here and there.

If that episode was supposed to make me interested in Bloodlines, then it has failed miserably. I could not find a single reason to find this whole monster families drama even remotely compelling. If the show makes it to air, then I'll keep an eye on reviews and comments over the course of its season, but I'm not planning on tuning in as it is.

The main lead came across as a rather generic (overly young) cop. Lost someone dear in a tragic way? Check. Have a relative who is supposed to be dead but may not be and may turn out to be someone else than what they'd appeared all their life? Check. Is new to this whole thing but is a good guy deep down? Check. And so on...
What was the most laughable is that Ennis' girlfriend died in the most ridiculous way possible. At first I'd assumed that it was some monster throwing her with some super force, and that's why the impact smashed her head. But no... just a regular guy, the distance wasn't all that small, and she could've used her arms to mitigate it. So not only did I not get to pity the character I hardly got to know, I was led to make fun of her death. That's an achievement.

Violet the werewolf managed to sell herself as the completely unappealing persona, with her brother being a jerk. Then Lassiter sister also was a mirror jerk, and the only characters left that I considered somewhat interesting were the brothers. Of which one is dead now.
So I guess that Ennis is going to become a hunter because his girlfriend was killed by a... psychopatic human? Ah, those evil monsters need to pay for that!

And to rub salt into an already grevious wound, the writers came up with the most convenient/dumb/opportunistic reason to take Sam & Dean away from Chicago. A deus ex machina phone call from Cas, just as the case was being wrapped up. So what, am I to believe that they wouldn't come back to clean as soon as the Metatron/Abaddon business is taken care of? Just what kind of timeline Bloodlines is shooting for: events spanning the matter of weeks?

I really didn't think it would be this cringe-worthy, not in my worst nightmares. A painful experience all around, and I can't shake this horrible feeling that the Supernatural logo has just been irreversibly tarnished by association.
More+
Flag
^^^^^^What this person said. DITTO INFINITY!
Flag
Really? So now it's SUPERNATURAL: THE ORIGINALS or SUPERNATURAL: GRIMM or SUPERNATURAL: LOST GIRL etc etc etc.....In what way does this qualify as existing in the SUPERNATURAL universe? Nine seasons on and not one single hunter has noticed that monsters run Chicago? Is it really that bad that no-one ever went there to check? Also, a middle-aged guy with silver bear claws can slaughter vamps and shapeshifters en masse and run away like a ninja, completely unharmed because he did it in the dark. Vamps are blind in the dark? When did that happen? The wannabe cop's dad is alive? Well I never saw that coming (except on SUPERNATURAL where the Winchester's dad was alive - surprise, surprise). Wannabe cop shoots human for killing monsters and that's a shock. On SUPERNATURAL, where that's all Sam and Dean DO? Nothing made sense in this backdoor travesty. I felt embarrassed for Sam and Dean.
Flag
I like the concept there hasn't ever really been a supernatural related series where the the focus is on mulitple species of monsters/supes. The formula is usually a show based on one particular species (usually vampires or witches) w/ wolves, demons, etc popping up later to serves as antagonists or allies. But with this it seems the focus will be on a variety of beings warring over territories, essentially 'godfather w/ fangs' lol monster mobs (and of course throw in a vengeance fueled human hunter and his shifter partner to give him inside details and boom). I just don't know if what they've set up here will work but I guess I'm willing to try hell im still watching TVD after this dreadful season so...

Oh and PS I really didn't care for the whole shedding of the skin/goo shifter thing. It just seemed really inconvenient and disgusting if you ask me which is why they scraped the idea esp if your main guy is a shifter. You can't have him stopping every two mins to shed his goo whenever they're on the move. I thought it was OK when one would occasionally pop up in Sam & Dean's world otherwise the would've had no other way of tracking the thing down that and cuz monsters tend to be stupid in TV shows instead of doing their bad deeds, getting what they came for and skipping town they tend to stick around, tie people up and give expositions on their evil motives. Smh monsters man that's why they always lose!
More+
Flag
OMG I completely forgot about the shedding for shifters. Hmm, I also can't remember if all shifters are born or if they can be turned. If there are 2 different types (like in the case of werewolves) I could see the born shifters being able to change without shedding. But yah that was a cop out. If you wanna say you are in the Supernatural universe they should have to follow the rules established. But whatever.
Flag
Bloodlines has nothing to do with Supernatural. Sam and Dean leave 2 monsters alive while watching hunter getting killed ? WTF ?

I don't know how any Suernatural fan could see Bloodlines as connected to the original?
Supernatural is about killing monsters not fraternizing with them . OK, yes, on couple of occasions - but not on a big scale like this.

Now we'll have good monsters and a rookie hunter ?
I'd expect in Supernatural every hunter in USA to be in Chicago until every man eating monster is dead....
Flag
I am intrigued mostly because I really like Dave and also Ennis and their interactions. And I find it interesting how we have 2 main stories that are separate yet interwoven.
I was actually entertained by this episode way more than by many of this season.
Though I rather agree with what was siad about backdoor pilots.
Flag
I felt embarrassed for J2 that they even had to appear in this episode. Nuff said.
Flag
I will give it a try, but I am not expecting much. Now they will have focus group after focus group and hopefully work out the things that did not work in the BDP. Maybe the focus group will suggest they scrap the whole idea. I agree with MaryAnn, BDP's do not work for me. Ennis is not strong enough actor or the dialog was boring, either way he did not impress me. Dave was okay (barely), with a little work he could be decent. The werewolf bitch was too damsel in distress for my taste and Margo was too cliche. The whole character base was cliche. They need to try to work the mythology and backstory of Chicago's monster families into the rest of the Supernatural universe. Supernatural has had 9 years of myths and legends and it is still somewhat cohesive if you don't nitpick. Bloodlines did not fit at all with the established history.

Somehow the Winchesters have overlooked Chicago and its nests of Monsters of all kinds. Answer that and the show will solve the biggest mystery of its existence. Why haven't Sam and Dean or Bobby or Garth or Ellen or Jo or any other hunter visited Chicago? Up until four or five years ago there was the roadhouse where the hunters would check in and tell tales from all over. Did no one ever have any hunts in Chicago? Did the families get this all started after the apocalypse was averted and the destruction of the roadhouse? Was there a hunter in Chicago that got silenced somehow? Still someone should have noticed and relayed it through the hunter grapevine.

I think they should scrap bloodlines call it Sam or Dean's fever dream and scrap it. I know that the CW wants to capitalize on the Supernatural brand and keep it going forever and try to bring in a younger audience, but they will end up ruining they whole brand. if they want a spinoff, then they need a better idea than bloodlines. Something that already fits in the Supernatural universe.

The Originals had a Backdoor Pilot on the Vampire Diaries. It was better than the Bloodlines episode, but it had a lot of roughness to it. They ironed out the kinks and the actual pilot was a lot better. Maybe the same will happen with Bloodlines. I still hope they scrap it and start over. Either way, I will give it a try with a skeptical eye.
More+
Flag
I get this episode wasn't that great but isn't it a little childish to rate the whole show a 1 based on one episode like bloodline (just referring to the latest reviews the show has been getting)?
Flag
yawnfest
Flag
Oh dear me what the fudge ! I turned off after 5 mins terrible acting , twilight rip off cast please supernatural do not expose us to this shit anymore . I hope next episode go back to the main storyline !
Flag
I hate it when Supernatural breaks its own established lore.

Last time dean found a demon fox THAT SAVED SAM, he went out of his way in order to kill it behind sams back.
Now that they find a werewolf, and a shapeshifter they just let it slide.

Also how was the "villain" in the story bad? He was killing monsters and from what i seen in the show its a good thing right? And yeah he did kill that guys girlfriend, but he didnt do it on purpose, he just threw her away and she ended up banging her head against a wall and died. And thats kinda stupid imo, considering that guy didnt have super human strenght or anything of the sort.

And besides, Sam and Dean have killed humans so many times, on accident in the past and they were not considered to be villains. Even if you count out all the humans that were possesed by demons and they just stabbed them, you still remain with other non-monsters that got caught in the crossfire.

Finally. What about the dead boddy? Won't the police try to figure out who did it? Investigations etc?
More+
Flag
Yeah, this episode was just full of contradictions.
Alas, Supernatural has been having those for a while too. I hope next season is the last or I may have to just stop watching. It's hard watching something, that was so great, dying little by little.
Flag
"If you run away, your family will get pissed and start a war. So you either go home or I kill you and ditch what's left of you in the lake". If she were body parts in the lake, wouldn't her family still think she'd run away with Dave? And if they figured out that she'd been killed, wouldn't they start a war anyway? Few things piss me off like a half-assed threat.
The entire episode was pointless and un-interesting. The characters were flat, boring and predictable (WTF, Violet! She's going to spend the entire series being taken hostage and having people rescue her). I did sort of like David, but maybe I was just biased by the contrast there was between him and the other drones, since he seemed to have a tiny bit of personality.
It's funny (in a way that is not) that Bloodlines is supposed to be about five monster families and we've only met like four people that belong to two of them. Where are the djinns, the ghouls and the vampires? (I refuse to count guy with tattoos sitting in chair and guy sniffing around and getting beheaded by Dean). I get a feeling this is really going to just focus on shifters and wolves. Also, about the shape-shifters: WHAT IN THE NAME OF KRIPKE? One of the best things about them in the past was that they weren't glamorous and didn't have everything easy. It was painful and extremely disgusting (to do and to watch). I felt sorry for the poor creatures, so desperate to have a face of their own they'd hang out in sewers and oil out of their skin. But noooo, can't have that on the regular cast! (I get the point, I'm not sure I'd want to see that) So now they wave around and change into someone else seamlessly, or go blonde just for the heck of it.
More+
Flag
"Few things piss me off like a half-assed threat." - Love it.
Flag
what dafuck did I just watch???? Iff I have to go threw another episode like this I will stop watching this show......
Flag
I've said this in previous comments. But Chicago has five monster families and the Winchesters haven't heard about it? This soft-pilot was a stinker.
Flag
I should mention I laughed ALOT during this episode. I started counting cliches from the jump and it was hysterical.

My favorite scene was Dave (?) talking to Raccoon-Face Sister (?) on the phone. He was responding super panicked and she sounded hella bored and not in the same time stream whatsoever, alerting him to the death of their brother. Cracking up!

Sister's sinister Panda make-up job and middle-school goth wear (from the 90s) situation, signifying her Evol Bitch status? Priceless.
Flag
That Bloodlines episode was so utterly painful to watch!!! Especially knowing it was taking up an episode of this season's Supernatural!!! Hated everything about it. Looks like another boring monster drama, which the CW already has plenty of. It sucked bad! I was so excited for the potential of Bloodlines. Turns out it was just like the other shows I can't stand on the CW. I'll be so sad when Super is gone! All that will be left is a bunch of Vampire Diaries type shows. I seriously wanna puke right now!!!
Flag
After last weeks pointless episode i thought the writers will try to wrap up most of the stories currently involving the angels. The episode was flat and most of the characters were poorly written (barring Dave). Bloodlines will suffer if picked up for a full season due to the narrow perception of the
premise.
Flag
I agree Dave was the best thing about this. Which is why the actor should be put out of his misery and brought to a better show. (I still love him as Kol).
Flag
I would give this a shot over the originals... BUT I like the formula Supernatural runs and with this show eye-candy will only take it so far.
Flag
Supernatural has always been spot on when it comes to casting the perfect actors for certain characters. But this spin-off just looks horrible. The lead, Ennis, is so terribly unconvincing, and only surpassed in bad acting by the actress playing Margo.

I have never not finished an episode of Supernatural, except today.
Flag
i agree with all those who hated this episode.

the only thing i couldn't understand is why have so many compared dean with that new guy .. ennis?? whatever his name was. Dean has an amazing screen presence. he simply lights up the screen. He commands attention. This new fellow - he is practically wall paper.
Dean comes across as a sensible person with family values firmly rooted in him, even in the pilot episode. And what impression did this Ennis ?? leave - a can-be-easily-forgotton person who has no qualms killing a human. A human?? even with MOC we all comment when Dean is shown to kill without remorse. here, 1st killing??
Flag
This isn't about charisma, which is a subjective trait. People are comparing Ennis, Dave, and the Shifter that got wolverined ( I don't know his name) to Sam and Dean BECAUSE their personality traits, backstories, and motivations were slap you in the face obvious cannibalized directly from Sam and Dean's character DNA. Same story, packaged in less engaging packages.

The killing was duuuuuuuuuumb. I think they were going for poignant or badass, but it just came off stupid. Ennis and the monsters had more than enough evidence to have the guy arrested for murder and possibly committed to a psychiatric facility, because who believes in monsters, right? Dude wasn't even a threat when Ennis killed him in cold blood. WTF?
Flag
Overall, season 9 was promising, now I must say they should do it really (really really) good in the last episodes to salvage it.
Seasons 6 and 7 were probably the weakest of the show (many regulars I know stopped watching it during or after that seasons), but season 9 is not far behind, with lame episodes such as Were-Garth (please kill him off already!), Peruvian-Fat-Vampire, The Pathetic Ghost Facers and this bullshit of an episode, which gladly I stopped watching after less than 20 minutes.
One of the things that always stood out from SN was that the fillers were as good episodes as the arch-related ones, or even better in many cases. Well, this 9th season has had the worst fillers ever (excluding of course, the infamous wedding episode in season 6).
The best thing that could happen to SN for next season is get a reduced 13-episode run. And the best thing that could happen to CW is not picking up Bloodlines.
Flag
I've been with this show since day one. Sam's crying in the corner is soooo old!.
Flag
Which part of this show sound original? Well the closest would be The Originals also airs on the CW
Flag
I don't watch it.. The girl with the sexy accent left so there's no incentive.
Flag
Well I don't watch The Originals too. I just said that the closest thing which can be named original on this show is The Originals which also airs on the CW.
Flag
All I was thinking during this episode was "what a weak excuse for a backdoor pilot". The problems were various to all-encompassing from the young Abercrombie actors to the predictable and no-less idiotic conclusion.
Firstly, I actually could get on board with Sam and Dean's appearance and equally sudden departure, given they are thinking about the big picture of Metatron (Heaven's sole occupant and all-round nuisance) and Abbadon (Queen + Knight of Hell) rather than petty monster problems. though I would have suggested the opening monster attack be investigated be a hunter (maybe Garth perhaps? - haven't seen him for a while) who subsequently sends up the bat signal, rather than the chance investigation by the bros.
other than that though, I agree with everyone else. the Winchesters cannot be aware of every monster problem across the US, even if they are the monsters version of the bogeyman. The mafia / monster families plot and the whole why hasn't the world seen the hidden city depths? question is an old and aggravating one to say the least and could be stuck on every case of the week. The so-called leading man of the spin-off (Ennis?) is too young and too green to have any kind of presence and his decision-making towards the end was questionable to say the least.
All-in-all, given the hype of this show, those involved in the storytelling have so far been shown as lazy, unimaginative thieves (stealing from other shows) who have dollar signs flashing in their eyes.
More+
Flag
the love triangle BS is so annoying. (and boring aswell)
there is no way that i watch this pretty people mess. thanks CW for ruining another opportunity
Flag
Quite disappointed. I became really bored half-way through watching, and the only parts that I got excited was seeing Sam and Dean on-screen.

More so, the story and characters are too cliché - it feels like The Originals 2.0 and is nothing related to SPN at all! Plus the acting wasn't very convincing and some parts were quite cringeworthy! =/ If they do pick up a series, I don't see it lasting for one season or two.
Flag
The pool must surely be off, hacked, bugged.

They should fire the writers of this damm not-an-episode and these magic "shapeshifters". And I wouldn't mind if Supernatural itself goes to the freezing for some years, since they're so out of good ideas, just as a response for this offense to the canon.

Honestly, the only salvageable thing from the "episode" is Ennis. The character is nice, the actor also. We can even accept that his father is AWOL just as John Winchester was and that his girlfriend got mauled by the monster killed in the "first"(?) "episode"(?). He could be with them in season 10 and then replace the old Winchester "couple" in a season 11 (and from there on), after the boys finally dying or retiring or staying indoors as invalids for field action, giving Ennis support from the shelter (or heavens, or some home-normal-life). Just need to make sure they never mention his girlfriend again (so we can forget about this episode quickly), and finish the AWOL father plotline hastily as well.

Honestly, with this stupid spin-off idea going around, and getting filmed and showed, why, oh why, WHY they don't make us an Supernatural videogame?
In the style of L.A. Noire or X-Files games? It would be great if properly done.

Took some time to creat my account just to vote and say this stuff. So, surely, the poll is wrong.
More+
Flag
I had low expectations for this backdoor pilot but I was willing to give it a chance to see where it would go. But when I was able to predict word for word about 5 lines of the various characters.... nope. That's lazy writing. And I knew the baddy was a normal human hunter from the moment those claws came out... which is why the girlfriend's 'death' didn't make me sad. It made me laugh, especially when I've seen the sort of abuse the normal humans take on this show.

Also, there was only one thing I wanted. One thing... for when the Winchesters rolled into town, with their all-so-subtle-car, that every monster went into red-alert panic mode (a la Grimm). Because I'm willing to close my eyes to the fact that the Winchesters didn't know about the 5 monster families since deaths are probably easier to hide in a city the size of Chicago, but am I also supposed to believe that the monster grapevine hasn't heard of the Winchesters? Hell I'd would have even just accepted the skinshifter guy and the werewolf chick freaking out when they met them.

The one thing I wanted and it failed to deliver. *grumbles*
More+
Flag
Yuck indeed.

Can we all agree to just delete this episode from canon? I honestly didn't care about any of it until Sam and Dean showed up. Halfway through the episode, I started skipping everyone else's scenes because I just...couldn't. I. Don't. Care. About any of them! Such bad acting, bad writing, bad everything! Except the setting. Love Chicago. I don't know what this was, but it wasn't Supernatural. Just...ugh.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members