A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

Supernatural S09E21: "King of the Damned"

Was that underwhelming? I feel like that might have been a little underwhelming. After Supernatural wasted two whole episodes on useless filler and a terrible backdoor pilot, "King of the Damned" was a welcome return to the big Season Fine story—whatever that is these days—but the hasty disposal of Queen Abaddon gave me flashbacks to the hasty disposal of Evil Eve back in Season 6 and all of the suckfest that followed for almost another whole season and I can't sit through that much WTF-ery again. I just can't do it. 

So I'll stay positive, because other than the surprisingly sudden end of Abby's rule (and without any of the delicious Demon Dean potential she promised earlier this season) "King of the Damned" lined up all of Supernatural's rubber duckies in a row in preparation for the last two episodes of the season, and it looks like Dean is going to get his unintentionally evil groove on anyway. YESSSSSS. 

To get the party started, Abaddon hopped back to 1723 Scotland to kidnap Crowley's doofus son Gavin, and the whole thing was so predictable—right down to the big reveal that if Gavin returns to his time, his 'Merica-bound ship will sink. Plus the subsequent Winchester double standard where if you're destined to die, you'd better freaking die lest you break the world... unless you're Sam. I don't want to talk about it. 

The old "to kill Crowley or not to kill Crowley" debate was also revived, with the Winchesters moving to table the discussion for now, mostly because C-dog and his spawn made a speedy getaway when Dean proposed locking Gavin in the bunker until they could figure out how to send him to his watery death. But it must be stated that this angle is getting kind of tired. Supernatural put in a solid effort to make Crowley REALLY FREAKING EVIL, what with the killing Kevin's girlfriend and the torturing Momma Tran and the systematically murdering everyone the Winchesters ever saved, and if that pattern had continued, then sure, they would've had a pretty good case for wasting him. That kind of carnage can't go unpunished—and it probably still shouldn't, except that Supernatural went back to writing Crowley as a goofy diva of a demon who has some kind of man-crush on "Moose" and "Squirrel" and sweet-talks his precious hellhound named Juliet. My gut says the writers are going to go with the transformed-back-into-a-human angle (and how convenient that Gavin is now out there in the world somewhere, ready to reconcile with his formerly dicktastic father), or at the very least, that they'll keep Crowley around as the lesser of all the potential evildoers who could be in charge of hell. But this endless hemming and hawing over whether the Winchesters should kill Crowley with the First Blade is getting ridiculous. 

The First Blade is the gift to Dean's storyline that just keeps giving, though. This week, Dean's bloodlust was front and center, with his eagerness to torture someone on Castiel's behalf standing in stark contrast to the horrified reluctance previously seen in Season 4's "On the Head of a Pin." I see what you did there and I approve, Supernatural.

Manhandling some answers out of the hapless Ezra escalated quickly, and while Sam was able to bring Dean back from the edge that time, it's clear that Sam's sammyness alone won't be enough to overcome the blade's influence... not yet, anyway. (Who can resist the allure of the puppy face?) While his control leeched away, Dean was cognizant enough of his bloodlust that he sent Sam on a wild goose chase precisely to keep him away from the battle with Abaddon, lest Sam accidentally end up the Abel to Dean's Cain, but when Sam suggested stashing the First Blade away from Dean's eager fingers to limit the temptation until they needed to once again turn Dean into a killing machine, Dean was not on board. 

Also: Dean has hell-fueled First Blade superpowers, complete with telekinesis and a resistance to the go-to demon move: the old smoosh-a-Winchester-against-the-wall-during-the-super-villain-monologue routine. 

I'm so excited for the Mark of Cain stuff. SO EXCITED. It almost makes up for the inglorious death of Abaddon. 

Almost.

Also promising as we head into finale territory is the Castiel and Gadreel team-up, as well as Castiel finally, however reluctantly, claiming his place as chief rebel angel and scholar of humanity among his siblings. Supernatural has struggled to find a place for Castiel since the not-pocalypse ended, and for awhile there, he existed mostly as an occasionally used deus ex machina. He needed to be separated from the Winchesters in order to come into his own, but he couldn't be too far removed, like in the Leviathan arc. Castiel needed a role that was separate, but no less epic, than those of Sam and Dean; by returning him to the angel warrior he formerly was, altered and wiser from his time among the humans but still hopelessly tangled up in the Winchesters and their drama, Supernatural has finally managed to do something with Castiel that feels just about right. 

The second half of Season Fine has been bumpy, but the road is now clear for an epic finale. Metatron is still pulling the strings upstairs, Gadreel is on the cusp of redemption, angel war is nigh, and despite Dean's best efforts, Sam is so not out of potential Abel-territory yet. 

NOTES

– So there's a mobile backdoor portal into heaven. Of course there is. And freelance reapers will totally sneak you into hell, too. Oh wait. 

– "Hello Dean, love the crazy bloodlust in your eyes." ME TOO CROWLEY, ME TOO. 

– Vancouver made an okay Cleveland. 

– What's on your finale wishlist? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

183 Comments
Comments (183)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Super underwhelming. I know Metatron is technically the big bad of the season, but Abaddon was the one who was actually scarier. As we all know, Metatron isn't even fully bad, unlike her. I expected her to be a bit trickier to kill. Ah well, we'll see what happens with all the Angel drama!
Flag
I'm not excited about Evil Dean. First, he's always been kinda Evil Dean - very quick to want to kill. But mostly, it's still just a retread of Evil Sam (Demon blood powers) and then Soulless Sam. There was also Torturer Dean. Of course we've had semi-evil-but-not-as-evil-as-the-Winchesters-acted-like-he-was Castiel. Every season or two someone gets "broken" and they have to spend half a season+ fixing them - from restoring souls to wheelchair-bound Bobby to getting Castiel's grace back, etc. We've also seen lots of incarnations of "dark" Winchesters. Heck, we even had dark Grandpa Samuel, and they screwed that one up by never giving him a motive for helping Crowley. (The perfectly obvious one - getting Mary returned to life if he succeeded - would have set up a great deal of conflict.)

If season 10's going to be yet another dark, depressing tale of the brothers feuding with and fixing each other I think my Impala has run out of gas and it's time to pull it over to the side of the road. :-(
Flag
Seriously? Of all the dumb things, the freaking King of Hell is sitting helpless right beside them, and they DON'T kill him?

I mean, they agree to kill him when it doesn't matter, but when they CAN do it, well, it's like the characters go "we can't really kill the only interesting demon guest star we have left. Whatever will we do for Season 10? If we leave him alive, we can ANGST about how we should have killed him and how it is our fault that he did whatever he will do from now on."

The writers could have made it so that Crowley (alone or with his son) escaped Dean and Sam, but by making BOTH Winchesters decide not to kill him, whey went completely past a "Dumb Winchester sighting" and straight into "COMPLETELY MORONIC Winchester sighting."

Bah.

On a different note, I was contemplating not watching season 10. It's not that the show is bad - the show is pretty much the same as it has been for the last years. It's just that I'm tired of the formula.

- Season premiere deals with the cliffhanger of last season finale. One Winchester gains a new secret.
- Second episode. Some characters position themselves as big bads for the season. A couple of them are red herrings.
- Several episodes of filler disguised as hunt for a big bad. Expect to hear "we still haven't found X, so we need to hunt" variations as the writers use the characters to explain to you why you are watching filler.
- November sweeps. Kill a red herring. Fail to kill big bad. The secret is revealed. Brothers divided. ANGST. DESPAIR. DOOM. GLOOM. OH NOES, ALL IS LOST!
- Several episodes of filler. Expect to hear "we still haven't found Y, so we need to hunt" variations as the writers use the characters to explain to you why you are watching filler.
- February sweeps. Kill another red herring. Learn that there is a McGuffin that can kill / trap / locate the big bad.
- Several episodes of filler disguised as hunt for the McGuffin. Expect to hear "we still haven't found Z, so we need to hunt" variations as the writers use the characters to explain to you why you are watching filler.
- Penultimate episode of the season: cram every storyline into a single episode and get the McGuffin.
- Season finale. Try and kill the big bad (either the big bad wins, or there's a new, bigger bad right there to take its place). Cliffhanger.

If they scrapped all the filler, made a couple more 12-episode seasons, I'd stick around. As it is, I no longer have the patience for random angst, random monsters and random new hunters and whatever.
More+
Flag
The scenes between Crowley and his son were great. Hilarious and strangely touching.
Flag
Please bring back Timothy Omundson as Cain to wrap things up!
Flag
I'd say that is likely since he did say to Dean that after they kill Abaddon to find him and possibly kill him as well.
Flag
Dean's Luke Skywalker turn was kind of cool and also kind of awful. The fan they used to blow wind at his hair to make him look struggling yet unstoppable just didn't sell. And Abbadon has a very hard time convincing me she was actually trying to kill him. Get some more anger and determination on your face, girl. Sort of an awkward sequence.. UNTIL he stabbed her threw the gut and held her in the air. That part was cool.

Too bad that character is gone but hopefully Dark Dean will turn into a good storyline. Plus Crowley can now have a sitcom spinoff with his son who doesn't know how to live in the 21st century. Classic!
Flag
&Plus; Crowley can now have a sitcom spinoff with his son who doesn't know how to
&live; in the 21st century.

Air it opposite Sleepy Hollow and let the best man-out-of-time series win!
Flag
Are we setting up for a Sam vs Dean season and will it be Supernatural's last?
Flag
They're renewed for next season... so it is possible they could be against each other next season. Then BOOM.. the apocalypse really happens... end of series lol
Flag
I noticed some folks here complained about Abaddon's time travel thing and why didn't she go back to some other times and change things, etc. But don't I remember that last season Henry Winchester told Sam and Dean that the time travel spell he used was a blood spell that brought family to family, that's why he was expecting to find John at the other end. I don't think Abaddon could go just anywhere back in time with that spell. I think she got some of Crowley's blood (probably from the double agent demon a few episodes back) specifically because she knew it would take her back to a relative of Crowley's that she could use against him.

I still didn't love it as a plot point, but I don't think it was mythology-busting either.
Flag
Wooow,Supernatural really?!?!?!? You DRAG filler episodes to no end,but main stories you just cram all into one episode. I felt like,they could split angel and demon stuff in 2 episodes,because when you got filler episode,it usually goes like this:

Monster kills random person. Show us Dean or Sam researching on main storyline,while the other one comes in and says,they got a new case. Show us scene with awsome impala,then them questioning someone,saying who it can't be,who it might be,another kill in between from monster,then they narrow it,person who helped them,get kidnapped and is in danger,just in time for "hunters" to save the day. At the end they remind us,that they still got stuff to do and everything is not ok between them...credit roll.

But this week you got all crammed into one episode(it was still awsome)..:Abaddon(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!), vs Crowley vs "hunters"...angels vs Metatron. I loved that angel...what did they name him..Ezra?
Flag
I would've appreciated more of a build-up towards this particular conclusion, seeing as Abaddon wasn't just a nemesis created for this specific season alone (unlike Eve, and that's why I wouldn't compare the two; Eve's dismissal was pretty inventive and surprising at the time, I thought, so I never did mind it all that much). It felt somewhat anticlimactic to be brought back into the main plot and deal with something of this grand scale after two unrelated fillers, plus a slew of episodes before that which weren't exactly top-notch.

Still, that was nowhere near as bad as it could've been. I always dread what is to come whenever I see this peculiar pair of writers (Ross-Leming/Buckner) being credited a game-changing episode, as they are responsible for a number of mythology-twisting stinkers. At least this time my extremely low expectations were surpassed.

For the first time in... hmm, ages, I didn't have to cringe at how the actual disposal of a Big Bad was carried out. When Dean got pinned to the wall for a hundredth time I was almost ready to give up all hope and wait for the ordinary procedure to happen (you know, Sam running in and distracting the demon, who then gets stabbed by Dean; or some such) - but no, not this time. Finally, something different! Something to give purpose to the entire Mark of Cain/First Blade storyline.
It made a lot of sense for the Mark/Blade to infuse the "chosen one" with special anti-demon powers, but I did not dare to dream of the show actually going there and abandon their routine of Sam/Dean somehow vanquishing a powerful opponent who could snap their necks in a blink of an eye. And yet Supernatural did go there, and that is something noteworthy. Of course it is a shame that the whole ordeal wasn't expanded into a proper close quarters fight between Abaddon and Dean, with her powers being neutralized/diminished, but I'll take what I can get. It's still miles better than the brothers flying from wall to wall and helplessly moping the floors, in any case.
Also this was one time where I could actually agree with Dean sending Sam on a wild goose chase. It wasn't just bravado on the big brother's part, or the desire to keep poor little brother of the harm's way. No, he sensed that the Blade could give him an upper hand, and knew that Sammy could be a distraction. And he wasn't wrong. This once, justified.

I also dearly hope that we are done with the back-and-forth with Crowley. If he is the Big Evil he was (once again) bulking up to be in season 8, with everything unforgivable he's done, then he should be disposed of by now. But if he isn't and is on his weird demonic path of redemption (through the human blood or whatnot), then let just leave it be and leave the "to kill or not to kill" soap opera dilemma behind for good. Sure, no one wants to lose Mark Sheppard. But flipping the switch again next season would be atrocious.
I absolutely didn't care for Crowley's son. Useless extra storyline with possible time travel implications that are not likely to be considered. Abaddon could've coerced him in other ways to do her bidding. The worst thing was making Gavin such an utter idiot. He gets tortured in an unspeakable manner and the unkown woman kills someone in front of his eyes, and moments later he actually asks whether he is in heaven and if they are angels? WHAT. THE. HELL. I love Supernatural's humor as much as the next guy or gal, but not when it slips into a horrible brand of self-parody that has zero believeability in it. At least angels acting like dumb children can be explained most of the time.

It's good that Cas has his own purpose and isn't afraid to make decisions without consulting the Winchesters. Reaching out to the good little soldier Gadreel was a proper move, one that makes a lot of sense after everything we've been shown.
And the sudden mention of a heaven portal... right, well, deus ex machina will forever be alive. I'm still firmly planted in the cautious camp, but perhaps the final episodes can redeem some of this season. Perhaps.
More+
Flag
I don't know if this was addressed yet but remember back in season 6 when Bobby summoned Gavin's ghost to find out where Crowley's bones are buried? If Crowley made it so that Gavin doesn't go back in time and therefore doesn't die...wouldn't that mean there was no ghost for Bobby to eventually summon and he wouldn't have gotten his soul back in the altered timeline?
Flag
It could have happened before Abby stole him
Flag
Somehow I doubt that the writers took this into consideration. Or that they will. They haven't been exactly in touch with established mythology these past few seasons, and playing fast and loose with time travel always creates issues. Sadly, I wouldn't expect to see this much insight.
Flag
Heck, they didn't even use the same actor!
Flag
I reckon the viewers that have followed supernatural from the first series Have by now far exceeded the age group focus of this show.
I get this underlying feeling that supernatural is aiming at a younger audience with every new season. I blame jared and Jenson as they are just too good at Hamming it up.
Flag
Actually, I'm in my late twenties and have watched the show from it's fourth episode. I know people that watch the show that range in age from 16 all the way to a retired woman in her 80s, so no... not all viewers are little tweens and many of us have stuck around from season 1.
The actors do a wonderful job and do not 'ham it up'.
Flag
Well I think they do Ham it up. But that is not meant as any slight on their acting skills. Al Pachino was an absolutely fantastic ham and celebrated for it.
Flag
I loved the show, It is one of my favorites this season. I am still thinking about it a day later. I love this show so much and this is one of my favorite seasons. It was great and I am not one bit unsatisfied with it. I will watch it forever if I could
Flag
I am kind of nervous, you guys. What will Gavin's existence mean for season 10? Sam said himself that if you change one thing, you can change anything, and we witnessed as much with the Titanic/destiny episode. They've set the stage to reset literally any aspect of the last 9 years, if they want.
Flag
I was hoping this was a throwaway plot that would never be mentioned again (they've dropped bigger ones). Now you have me frightened that this was actually a setup for something bigger....
Flag
Gavin was due to die the next day so that was only a few hours that he could do anything that could have consequences for anyone. Unlike all the people on Titanic.. its unlikely that anything he did or didn't do would be important enough to affect the future 200 years later and across continents...although this is supernatural so who knows :)
Flag
Don't think it should change too much that Gavin didn't go back. Dude was supposed to board a ship and die the next day, so him disappearing wouldn't really be that different...
Flag
There is at least one notable difference to consider. Gavin was just plucked from his timeline and fast forwarded to the present - he didn't get to live through all the following years in his original setting where he was supposed to be dead, unlike those Titanic people who got saved in the episode you mention and went on about their business for years to come, producing offspring and entering interactions they wouldn't have otherwise.

Other than that, I don't really expect much time travel insight from the writers, with all its implications. Perhaps I'm wrong, but them dabbling with that would create an awful mess. And to drastically alter the show's mythology, especially of the earlier great seasons... that would be unforgivable for even the most forgiving of fans, I imagine.
Flag
The Titanic shift was obviously much bigger. But if they wanted to bring Gavin in without consequence, why have Sam remind us that this will have side effects? It may not be as monumental as rewriting all past seasons, but I'd be surprised if there's not any changes--even slight ones. Other watchers have already picked up on a direct link from Gavin to Bobby.
Flag
I'm so bored now of watching angels fight with special long silver daggers.
I don't know why this particularly annoys me, but surely I can't be the only one that finds it silly.
Flag
I think the entire budget of the show must be going towards J&J's salaries at this point after nine years. It seems the budget gets smaller and smaller.... Once upon a time we had monsters that looked like monsters; now we just have the set-of-dental-prosthetics-and-contact-lenses-of-the-week. :-(

It would indeed be nice to see a cool supernaturally-powered, effects-laden fight scene. Even the old syndicated Highlander could give us extended sword fights and special effects. These angels go down in dagger fights that last about five seconds. Very underwhelming.
Flag
I think the angel thing is just annoying 'cause none of them have personalities or are really characters that we care about, this their stupid dagger fights are of no consequence. Really, except for Cas, I don't care how many of them get skewered...
Oh and yeah... the fight scenes sometime look a bit unrealistic.
Flag
me too.

I just hope they don't take this fight to the next season.
Flag
With all the poor fill ins this year. SPN could have somehow managed to use these fill ins and extended the hunt and the final demise of Abbadon. The hunt and demise of Abbadon just ended too quickly. Instead of a slow and intense hunt for Abbadon . With twists and turns and an ultimate surprise and noteworthy ending. SP has achieved this in 45 mins. Writers show look back and take some lessons from seasons 1-5. But over all, I did enjoy this week episode.
Flag
So am I weird that the fairly obvious storyline that is probably being set up for Season 10 (please don't let it be resolved by the end of this season) is going to force Sam into the typical Dean role of trying to save a seemingly hopelessly loss to evil Dean has me actually excited? I swear part of it is though I am not as screwed up as Dean, the fact that I am a big sister to siblings who are much closer in age to each other than to me, has usually made me side with Dean (except this season though I got his motivation) on most brother debates. I mean other than whining at Dean to fight it in the year before Hell, Sam really hasn't had to do anything to try and save Dean and get back Dean or at least nothing so significant that I remember it whereas I can list all the times it went in the opposite direction.
Flag
When I first saw Supernatural was on this week, I had this unpleasant feeling, like there was something very bad I was really trying to forget. I tried to remember, what was the last episode about? Oh, BLOODLINES! Thanks again, Bloodlines... Yuck!

By the way, now that Abaddon (which my spell-checker wants to correct to "Abandon") is dead, next episode could be about Dean going back to Chicago and, in a rampage, kills every single monster with the First Blade, because, you know, now he's Super Dean, unstoppable, and those Chicago monsters had better show a little more respect next time the Winchesters are in town.
Flag
Please please please please please let that happen so that Bloodlines will be cancelled before it even begins! (Darn you... now I just can't get that happy scenario out of my head...)
Flag
IT HAPPENED!!! :-)
Flag
Good one!
Flag
lol

Those monsters not knowing about "THE FREAKING WINCHESTERS" was really pathetic.
Flag
This episode was a bit rushed. Nonetheless, getting rid of bitch Abby was worth it. Dean did a great job with the telekinesis thing, Sam was soapy, as usual, and the brother's soap opera goes on and on like most soap operas. Personally, I wish the two of them would just make up and go back to monster hunting. Get back to the roots: Deal at Demon's crossroads, old taverns, hunters hunting, Bobby Singer...
Flag
Dean is headed towards turning to the dark side & i think Sam really played a part earlier in the season with his whole not brothers but partners stuff, Abbadon's deaths was well overdue as she served her purpose for Dean's transformation.
Flag
is there a note circulating through writers this year? is that their "nindo", a new fashion?: "2014 the year where we rush things". We spent I don't know how many episode chasing after the blade and then after Abidon... And Dean or should I say Uber Dean kills her in a fingers snap!!!
Except that and Sam puppy face it was good.
Flag
The good: focused on the actual storylines the season started with. Dean going full rage was awesome. And the telekenisis thing was great too. the Cas storyline is at least doing good now. The boys interogating that angel was pretty funny. For a change they didn't need to beat the crap out of someone. Gadreel may redeem himself, but I don't care for his character anymore. If he helps bring down Metatron, then good. I just want the Metatron stuff done with.

The bad: Abbadon killed off just like that. Now yeah at least she put up a fight compared to dying like eve did, but with all the demons, couldn't she have had back up to at least escape? Really disappointed the previous episode showing Josie before Abbadon was wasted. I mean short of someone reviving the body, I think that's it for poor Josie. girl gave up her body and was stabbed and beaten to a bloody pulp. If they were just going to kill 'her' off like that I'd rather they didn't bother giving the backstory of Josie to give us a feeling that maybe she might be redeemed for her sacrifice. With some potential, they just off her like that. So many fillers and they couldn't at least try to save Josie, that could've been worth another episode. I mean i just hate being strung along about a character and bam done like it was pointless.
How come dean said 'crowley had a son'? Did they forget season 6 where they burnt Crowley's fake bones with the help of the dead son?
More+
Flag
If you don't remember last season Abbadon was both chopped into little bitty pieces and burned to a cinder. When a body a demon is possessing in supernatural gets subjected to that kind of treatment the host goes bye bye. So Josie was already far beyond saving
Flag
Correction: threaten to burn Crowley's bones. Crowley took them back at the end.

Also, if Abbadon can go back in time, why just pluck Crowley's son from the past? Wouldn't that change the outcome of Crowley releasing bobby from the contract? And of all things to do in the past, I think she could've done much better like maybe killing Henry or such to prevent the boys from being born. So much potential and it is just a personal attack on Crowley.
The one good thing was Crowley using the code word to let Dean know about the danger. But predictably it's gonna be another sam and dean drama.
Flag
A better episode - oh look at that, they focused on the overarching storyline, must be a coincidence - but Abbadon's death felt a little sudden (ironic i know). So now we have 2 episodes of stopping Metatron and controlling Dean/Cain or Deain lol
Flag
∧ controlling Dean/Cain or Deain

They need a joke about actor Dean Cain in there somewhere....
Flag
I thought the review here was a little harsh. This wasn't a great episode, but it was pretty damn good.

For me, the weakest element was the parts with Crowley and Gavin. I just wasn't really feeling it. I know they put it in to show Crowley's continuing humanity, but ehhh. Did however, love Crowley's Hellhound whispering over the phone.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I loved the scene where Dean finally kills Abaddon. Dean was wicked awesome with his new Jedi powers and I was totally sick of Abby anyway. Long live the King!

The bits with Cas and his new army were pretty cool too. Loved the office and minions and stuff. And I really liked Sam and Dean's interrogation of that angel. It was funny and nice not to just see Dean go postal on someone again.

I also liked that Cas is trying to recruit Gadreel, whom I also think is redeemable, but in a fairly subtle way. Not just "Abandon Metatron for me!" but more like "Hey, wanna do a little spying?" Good work Cas!

And we did FINALLY get a little of Sam and Dean together time, which I have missed. Sam's worried, Dean's losing it... wangst, yay! So, has Sam forgiven Dean for the whole Gadreel thing?

Really looking forward to seeing Tessa again next week!
More+
Flag
Wow where do I even begin with this? I'm sorry, but tv shows should really stop doing fight scenes if they are going to do them this stupid.

Abadon just pushes Dean to a wall and that's it?
Seriously? Dear lord just snaps his neck and be done with it. Why are you so stupidly rambling on instead of just killing him? You fear the mark? Tear his arm off.
Heck, for the love of anything, just 5 seconds earlier you had a GUN in the room. Shoot him. And if you see the blade has powers, RUN.
Why are you wasting time? Just teleport out, possess another human. It's like demons on this show forget they have powers and humans don't.

That was so bloody pathetic.

However, it's not like it's anything new on this show. It was as dumb as her just pushing Sam aside last season finale. I realize she is supposed to be the brawns to Crowly's brains, but she can't be THAT stupid.

The whole Crowly being more human again was equally stupid. Hey, you want Abadon to stop torturing him? Easy, just KILL HIM!
He is still the king of hell (or will be once the fight with Abadon is done) so either his son will be in heaven (and Crowly should be happy about that) or he will go to hell in which case Crowly can just demonize him and set him free.
Again, why do demons on this show forget they have powers?
And by all means Crowly, just leave him completely unattended and unguarded in the world. Nothing bad can ever happen to him and other usurpers (or Metatron) won't lay a finger on him. Sure.

The so called torture of Ezra was nothing but a torture of us the viewers as that stupid interrogation scene was so pathetic. Really he just blurts out everything, WTF? To such terrible acting? I don't mind Supernatural going a bit light hearted once in a while but that was terrible. And they could have done it in 5 seconds and spare us the same crap over and over again.
Sorry, there were funny moments in this episode (Abadon and Crowly raising their eyes over Crowly's kid thinking they were angels... THAT was hilarious) but the Ezra thing was boring to the teeth.

And the whole thing about Dean and the blade -
YAWN!
It's the same as Sam having the bloodlust or the effects of the trials and what not. And guess what? Even in this episode Dean kept a secret from Sam. For the love of anything... This is worse than the horrible love triangles of TVD.
Dear writers, please understand you can bring tension to a sibling relationship with something other than secrets.

This season has been one huge snoozefest I hate to say it, but this show has long passed its prime and I highly doubt the next season will be better.

I think it's time for this show to declare next season to be the last and end it.

P.S

So... Sam and Dean want to put the kid in the bunker until they can find a way to send him back? Hello?!? You just found out a huge army of angels. Why not ask them to fix it? If Anna could do it, doesn't that mean that every angel can do it?

P.S.S
So in order for Sam and Dean to come and do that painful interrogation of Ezra Cas summoned them from Chicago? That's pathetic. Since they are done with Ezra and Crowly wouldn't that mean Sam should be in a rush to go back there? So bad...
More+
Flag
&You; fear the mark? Tear his arm off.

Amen. On Vampire Diaries... someone has ring of immortality? Cut their finger off. Someone's going to get tattoos on their body that reveal a map? Attempt to cut their arms off before they appear.
Flag
Abaddon wanted to kill them all slowly and painfully. She clearly was sadistically enjoying his struggle. In our house, we thought the entire scene was great, we watched it and rewatched it. Jensen communicated such a wide range without a single word, including his innocent 'lost' look when he dropped the blade after the slaughter.
Flag
I don't remember what Dean was supposed to do with the blade now. Killing Cain, right? He didn't even seem to think in it but perhaps that is what he is truly planning in the end, when she says "no" to Sam.
Flag
I'm glad Abaddon is gone she was a waste of tv time. I thought it was a decent episode.
Flag
Just caught up with Supernatural again. I took a little break after the Metafiction episode... Now that I'm caught up, ummmm... Whaaat?

First of all... The episode with Jody was fantastic in my opinion. 'Case of the week' episodes shouldn't probably be this close to the finale but I liked the episode nonetheless.

The backdoor pilot thingy... Wasn't nearly as bad as people painted it out to be. It was a bad Supernatural episode. I wouldn't say it was a bad episode as a 'pilot' for the spin-off... It wasn't great either. So... I guess you could call me an optimist.

But to this episode. I kind of agree with the review. Felt a bit hasty with the whole killing of Abaddon. It reminded me so much of the way they handled The Mother of Monsters, Eve. That villain had potential. Atleast Abaddon got to hang around for a while and do something but Eve just made the Jefferson Starships IIRC and died... Goddammit. That made me angry. Now I'm angry again. I love you Supernatural but I hate you also.
Flag
I liked the episode, including the Abbaddon dismisal, no problem with that. I am only upset than Dean, moments after saying "I think everybody lies" falls for the old "Can I say goodbye" trick. EVERYONE should have realized what Crowley was about to do.
In Crowley's favor, I have to say that time will remain unchanged if a man who was supposed to die in a ship disappears of his time and appears in our present. History should be safe. Against Crowley: now future is not safe, as Gavin shouldn't be here. I am sure he is going to be a real evil guy, perhaps even a next season villain.
Flag
No it wouldn't. At the very least, in an earlier season, they brought the son's ghost in order to betray his dad and ask him about where his bones are. That is what got him to release Bobby from his deal with Crowly. Not to mention, Cas faking burning of the bones later is what tipped them off they were working together during season 6 and the purgatory storyline.

Changing anything about that could have affected any number of things on the show's history.

Heck, the very notion he was a ghost walking around could have affected history entirely.
Flag
I thought the episode was pretty good, especially since the last few episodes haven't done much to move the story along. Sad to see Abaddon go cause I liked the character but there really wasn't much more they could do with her. As evil as she was she was going to have to go. I also think that it needed to be done in order to have Dean really turn towards the darker side, which I am really looking forward to. We have known since his time in Hell that he enjoyed torturing people (also when he was in Purgatory) so it will be interesting to see how him having the Mark of Cain and the First Blade will continue to effect his psyche. I love Crowley so I don't mind having him around. Castiel's story got a little more momentum so it will be interesting to see how things end up between him and Metatron. Next week's episode looks interesting - Tessa's back.
Flag
There was a heck of a lot they could have done with Abadon. I'm shocked they didn't save her to the end to have her and Metatron team up against Cas and Crowly.
Flag
I feel like they never really knew what to do with her character after Dean and Sam got rid of her the first time (when they cut her up into pieces) so she has been pretty much a waste since she has been back. They didn't show her too often so she was better off dead than bringing her back at all. They could have had her team up with Metatron but that wouldn't have made a lot of sense, Metatron is evil but he has a vision of what he wants Heaven to be, I don't see him working with Demons. It would have been an interesting pairing though.
Flag
Metatron would team up with her for the same reason that Crowly teamed up with Rafael.

The whole "Enemy of my Enemy thing" plus, anyone who wants to be the new god and take over to bring out a new world order still needs someone to manage hell.

Besides there's a heck of a symetry between Cas and Crowly this season. Both were locked out of their home base and need to take it over again.

Cas is being less of an angel and goes a bit darker (like asking for torture) while Crowly clearly got a bit lighter with the whole human feeling thing.

There was so much wasted potential here
Flag
Yeah teaming up does make sense but its been done to death (Winchesters and Crowley, Crowley and Castiel), and I definitely agree that Cas has gotten darker while Crowley has gotten lighter. They could do so much, I hope next year is the final season and they stick to one solid storyline that wraps everything up. I know they can do it, hell if Eric Kripke is no longer working on Revolution I say bring him back for the final year and have the Winchesters go out with a bang.
Flag
She was a good example of the poor writing technique of "Tell, not show." Her most impressive appearance was in the 50s flashback, in someone else's body.
Flag
Yes a little underwhelming and promising at the same time. Abbadon could have been put to better use. But it's okay what matters is where they go from here, and evil Dean (but not too evil) is a good idea. I'm guessing they are going for an Abel and Cain ending for the series finale (season 10?) I wish the series would go on forever but it needs to go back to its roots, leave the angels in heaven (except maybe just one or two) and use Castiel as a deus ex machina again (while keeping him as a regular at the same time). Find a new scary and charismatic villain, explore other religions or mythologies and most of all make better filler episodes! And please less drama between the brothers!!!!!
Flag
So Abaddon, this invincible. incredibly smart demon lady, ultimately makes the same mistake Dick Roman did by trying to use Crowley as a pawn? Silly Abby, ANYONE that makes deals with the King of Hell, be it fair (Dick) or forced (Abaddon) ultimately gets screwed in the end. The man DOES NOT like being toyed with.

Joking aside, I agree that Abby vs Dean was INCREDIBLY underwhelming. Abby has shown that she has physical super strength, but she doesn't PHYSICALLY touch him, she just uses that psychic pressure slam to do what, exactly? She's got other abilities. She used Azazel's trick to make Gaven bleed out of his eyes IN THE SAME EPISODE! With using the psychic pressure slam, there was no real tension. If I were directing this episode, I would've at least have Abby fight Dean hand to hand, break one of Dean's arms, straddle-pin him, Sam would show up, distracting Abby for a second, and Dean would grab the blade and stab her, killing her. THAT is how a Semi-Big Bad fight should be done.

To be honest, most of the major villains we've seen have died underwhelming deaths. Azazel was the ONLY Big Bad who died a death seemingly worthy of his status. I replay that slo-mo bullet every time I watch that episode. (Lilith, kind of too, since her last battle wasn't really about her and more of Sam's decision between following his brother or the hot demon girl. He chose poorly) But Raphael, Eve (Oh GOD, Eve), Dick, and now Abby... they ALL could've had better death battles. (On a side note, is Dean now a Jedi?)

Well, now that I've said all I need to about screwing over my favorite character of season 9, lets talk about the GOOD parts of this episode- the Angel storyline and Gadreel. Gadreel is now shown a lot more sympathetically and it's obvious that he's a guy with good intentions but takes bad advice. Sam's description of Gadreel's time living inside him confirms that he was fully intent on keeping his word to Dean (heal Sam completely and move on) but constantly using his powers kept stalling the deadline to fully heal him and Metatron took advantage of that. Had, oh, I don't know, Gadreel NOT revived Human Cas and Charlie, Sam would've been healed, Metatron wouldn't have met with him, he would leave Sam's body with Dean owing him one, and Kevin would till be alive. Too bad that's not what happened, cause Cas is a main character and main characters must not die... permanently (cough*LeviaCas*cough)

Nice to see the callback to Weekend at Bobby's with Gavin shown as a physical person and not as a ghost. But that brings up an interesting paradox... if Gavin is now alive and more-or-less reconciled with Crowley, then wouldn't the angry ghost Gavin Bobby brought up in season 6 not exist, meaning that Bobby woldn't have leverage against Crowley and "C-dawg" would still be in possession of Bobby's soul? OOOOH PARADOX! I hope we see more ramifications of Crowley choosing to let his son live in 21st century America. Chances are this was a really stupid decision.

Overall I give this episode a 6 out of 10. Abby ultimately was wasted as a character. I know she wasn't the Big Bad of this season (that would be Metatron) but given her status as a supposedly unstoppable demon, I would've thought the writers or director of the episode would have the decency to at least have Abby throw a few punches and rough up Dean before he ultimately ganked her. Instead she just uses the same ol' psychic slam, which made the fight BORING. What was the purpose of putting her in the season, by the way? Eve, as much as her wasted potential infuriated me, HAD a purpose... she was a decoy Big Bad whose death marked the return of Crowley, who would team up with Raphael for the season finale. But with Abaddon dying this episode and not escaping to team up with Metatron, it just seems like there are two separate seasons of Supernatural and it makes season 9 REALLY disjointed. (Also, please PLEASE don't make Crowley the Big Bad of Season 10. He was PERFECT in season 8, but the character now has a history of switching sides each season and I don't want him rehashing what was utter perfection last season. Same as why I don't want Michael or Lucifer returning, too.)

More+
Flag
I for one have been craving the moment when one or both of the boys would figure out how to stop getting flicked against walls for fun. They have figured almost every other angle out, so it is about time. As for Abaddon wanting to make it personal and paying the price. . . . .awesome.

Crowley's son was supposed to not exist from the 1800's to now, which if he stays here and lives a life changes nothing in the past. Fine. Crowley's humanity adds a real angle to keeping his character rolling and changing the dynamic of the whole kit and kaboodle for the better, even as far as the boys are concerned.

This episode not only put the story back on the rails but gave us two episodes in which to clean up the confused disaster that the last episodes had left us with. Dean may just be careening towards power, not evil. Crowley is where he is best. Sam stopped whining for almost an entire episode.

Cas should have figured out that he is simply doing what he is supposed to be doing according to Metatron by now and trying to not only protect 'his flock' but prepare for the imminent arrival of the opposition. This episode wasn't one of the greats, but it took care of business in a timely fashion.
More+
Flag
Kripke's philosophy, I think, is that angels, demons, monsters - anything nonhumanly powerful, are usually kill-worthy - or at least dicks (heh). The thing to strive for is to be human, with all it's frailties. 'Careening towards power' is a bad thing in his universe. Remember, Dean told Sam they needed to stick together, because 'it keeps us human.'
Flag
You're very right... Crowley is written inconsistently, but I think that keeping him alive is smart move (besides his fan fav status). Someone needs to run Hell, and the devil you know...

Abaddon's plan....wasn't very good. She could've had her demons retrieve the blade and then bring it to her. She would destroy it. Then she could've killed the Winchesters unimpeded. Why put the only person & only object that can kill you together in one place? Overconfidence.

Dean was right to do what he did. Sam just would've gotten in the way. and then Abaddon would've gotten away.
Flag
I get it. They fooled us on the whole backdoor pilot thing.

Supernatural:Bloodlines - the adventures of Gavin McLeod.

Plot: Gavin McLeod, a tender soul from past lands in the 21st century. He is the heir of Hell, the prince supreme. Once the word gets out, he faces challenges in monsters, angels and demons who all wants a piece of him. A troubled addictive father whose title lands him in trouble more than he can care to count. Unbeknownst to him or his father, time ripples caused Gavin's witch wife to survive the shipwreck and carry their bloodline which is now the most powerful dynasty in the modern world. Will they discover their lineage and partake the powers of ruling hell, will Gavin survive the onslaught, who will inherit the thrones of the "Princes of Hell"?

But this is only a wishful imagination. I so wish this was reality. :D :D
Flag
Lol totally random but every time I see/hear that last name, it reminds me of Duncan Macleod. Highlander. :)
Flag
This episode is at least, an improvement from last week's boring episode. But I do agree that Abbadon died too easily and quickly! I was expecting some kind of showdown where they will kick each other's butts before Abby getting killed but...nope. I did however enjoy seeing Dean and his Mark of Cain powers, it's going to be interesting to see what he can further do with it. And I love the conversation between Crowley and his son, I LOL hard when Gavin was shocked to hear that his dad sold his soul for an extra 3 inches of willy xD hahaha!
Flag
My favorite part..

Gavin: "Is this...?? This is heaven!! Then, you two must be angels!!"

Abbadon & Crowley: "wow"

Love it!!! :D

Flag
I absolutely hated this episode, but that particular part was absolutely fantastic!
Flag
That whole scene was so hilarious. The reactions by Alaina and Mark had me giggling. And that "...you must be angels"&&"Wow" had me rolling on the floor :D Hahaha!
Flag
So...of course Reapers will come into play when you talk about sneaking in and out of Heaven.
Cas will be more or less himself. He will lead against Metatron and I actually hope he is the one to confront him-perhaps with Gadreel saving him and perhaps even dying for him.
Crowley will be acting more human as I think the writers realize that we love the guy and killing him off would be the biggest mistake ever especially after offing Bobby, bringing him back as a ghost and then offing him again. Please don't do anything stupid writers.
Sam and Dean...ugh. I don't know. I kinda like the idea of Dean being all uberviolent demon killer that goes over the edge and Sam being the dolt that he is will somehow get in the way and almost get himself killed. Perhaps Cas will intervene and save him. Cain is coming back isn't he? I really hope they don't just transfer the mark back to him, that would piss me off. I like super dean. Being able to break out of a Knight of Hell's power and call the blade to himself was the best thing about that arc. Don't waste this storyline please!!!
As far as Abbadon dying that way, I don't think it was too underwhelming. Sure it could have taken a bit longer but I don't think that the point was to show case her but to show Dean and what the blade and mark are doing to him. I felt that the point was to show us that this Mark of Cain has given him power, strength but also a lust for violence. We have seen Dean get caught up in a kill before-usually when it is personal. So while that in and of itself is not new I think the aura around him when he does it now is so calm, cold and calculated...it makes him more scary and I have to admit it was tougher to watch him hacking away at Abbadon like that. Anyways, I was tired of her already. They have dealt with her so many times and it was time for her to die for real.
More+
Flag
I think that Cas will confront Metatron but just as a distraction. I mean is there any doubt that they'll kill Metatron with the mark of cain?
Flag
That is true. Holy Fire didn't work on Metatron so it stands to reason that they would need an extra special weapon to get rid of him.
Flag
I thought it was a pretty great episode. Also, I thought the death of Abaddon was kind of underwhelming, but for completely different reasons. You said it wasn't long enough - I thought it was dragged out too long. It started great, and I loved the moment of his realization that he could fight her powers and get off the wall and stab her. But it was too much back and forth and would have been so much more satisfying to me if he's struggled for a moment, then pushed himself off the wall and stabbed her before she really even knew what was happening.
Flag
A pretty good episode. Very excited with Cas' story line and the Blade's influence on Dean. But Abaddon's death was very underwhelming, she was such a wasted potential. And I don't get at all why the Winchesters didn't just kill Crowley. He deserve it, and with no Abaddon, no Meg, he's the only big name demon left, killing him is the most sensible thing to do.

Flag
I thought Sam and Dean were just playing good cop bad cop with Ezra. The death of Abaddon was disappointing, I figured she'd really be difficult.
Flag
The "Previously on/Then" sequence had pretty much all the good parts of the season... didn't even need to what the rest of the season.

Crowley sold his soul for an extra 3 inches on his wang. lol Why am I not surprised.

Flag
So far removed was the Abbadon story line that there was a 1:46 "Previously on...". 1 MINUTE 46 SECONDS to get everybody back up to speed on the primary story arc?!?!? Ridiculous and unacceptable!!! To recap, Dean got the Mark of Kane in episode 11 finds the first blade in episode 16. 8 episodes where basically nothing happened?!?!? Again, ridiculous and unacceptable!

"It looks like Dean is going to get his unintentionally evil groove on anyway. YESSSSSS."

It's the best arc they've had in a number of seasons, but they've given me no reason to believe they won't mess it up long before they take advantage of it.

"But this endless hemming and hawing over whether the Winchesters should kill Crowley with the First Blade is getting ridiculous."

Absolutely right, but Crowley as a goofy diva of a demon is pretty much the last saving grace. LONG forgotten are the days when Crowley was a legit badass.

"Vancouver made an okay Cleveland."

If cities could be offended, they would be ;)

Flag
I agree with almost everything you said; amazing to think that 8 of the final 12 episodes of the season will essentially have had nothing to do with the main story lines.

I disagree with this though:

Absolutely right, but Crowley as a goofy diva of a demon is pretty much the last saving grace. LONG forgotten are the days when Crowley was a legit badass.

Even longer forgotten seems to be that Crowley wasn't a badass in the first place. When we first met Crowley he wanted to work with the Winchesters to save himself from the Apocalypse and save the creature comforts he'd become accustomed to. He gave them the Colt back! Even back then they tried to use it on him to test it! He had to demand at one point "Stop trying to kill me!"

He was not super-evil; when he needed Bobby's soul he gave Bobby the use of his legs back. Heck, he wasn't even really heterosexual - on top of all the innuendo with Sam and Dean, he was seen insisting on kissing a man to seal a crossroads deal and did the same with Bobby - even taking a photo!

Once Kripke was gone suddenly Crowley broke his word to Bobby that he'd get his soul back. He started becoming a bad guy. He became straight, had a wife and son and the only person we've seen him kissing since has been a woman.

The writing team completely remade Crowley into a very evil, sometimes very cruel and nasty being when he simply wasn't that way during Kripke's time working on the show. He wasn't an out-and-out torturing, evil, murdering type; you could almost sort of kind of like him even though he was on a different side. They changed him because they needed a new Big Bad with Satan gone. I, for one, hated the change. In fact, I don't think they went far enough in humanizing Crowley in Season 9. I'd have had the conversion actually work and Hell sealed (with Heaven sealed in season 0 and an end to all monsters in season 10 then end the series). Just imagine a few episodes with Crowley and Castiel, both struggling with human emotions, riding along in the backseat for a few cases! That would have been a lot more enjoyable to me than Crowley keeping Mrs. Tran locked up, etc.
More +
Flag
Generally speaking, the progression of Crowley from simple crossroads demon to king of hell is one I'm okay with. Frankly, there isn't much they couldn't have done with Crowley that I wouldn't have been okay with. Personality covers up a lot of flaws and Crowley's got LOTS of that.

I'd probably have been okay with Meg or Ruby rising through the ranks of the underworld.

That said, a little while back I did send a "Best of Crowley" video to a friend who's just started season 6. I tried DESPERATELY hard to convince her to stop after season 5 and pretend like she never saw Sam standing outside Dean's window...no luck. Anyway, looking back at his best moments, they weren't even THAT good, but the quality of Supernatural had fallen so completely off a cliff that he was the lone bright spot for the better part of 3 season.

I get the feeling that season 10 of Supernatural will be one of those that I'll get around to watching only when I'm caught up on everything else. For a show I once considered genius, my expectations couldn't be much lower.
Flag
the last couple filler episodes really threw off the flow of the show. so everything just ground to a halt for fillers then when past those it all just kicked into high gear all at the same time? how... conveinant.
Flag
What if...wait for it...Dean gets set up as the Big Bad of Season Ten??? Or at least a one-episode fake-out Big Bad like Cas at the start of Season Seven?
Flag
What if after killing Abaddon and Crowley being viewed as too wimpy, the demons decide they want Dean to be promoted from Hell's torturer to its new king????
Flag
I think it's more likely that Dean will use the blade on Metatron.
If they're going for the "he is going evil" like Cas did in season 6 it will be totally dumb.
Flag
Wasn't it always supposed to be Sam vs Dean in the end? Cain & Abel is a pretty good foreshadowing...
Flag
I don't want to talk about it.

Good call.
Flag
OK, maybe this is one of those odd questions, but how if Misha taller than Tahmoh in that picture. Tahmoh Penikett is Jensen Ackles height, and Misha is like 2 or 3 inches shorter. OK episode overall, especially after the waste of the last two, but going into the finale with the rapidly closed Abbadon story and the Metatron tale relegated to the background lately we'll see if the show still has what it takes to finish strong. The whole Crowley son storyline was a waste of time for me, and it'll likely have consequences like the boys were talking about, but we'll see on that as well.
Flag
Your Crowley complaints are maybe well deserved but I love the guy too much to care.
Flag

You betrayed me?
No one in the history of torture's been tortured with torture
like the torture
you'll be tortured with.

Flag
So I was wondering what had happened to Malachi and his faction. Turns out Gadriel took them out. Yet another case of happened when we weren't looking!

I swear this show is starting to send me into a Cain filled rage! We went from 3 angel factions to 2 armies with very little in between. Don't even get me started on the complete under-use of Abaddon.

I'm praying to Metatron they have a good finale lined up because at the moment I'm annoyed!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members