A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursdays, Fall 2016)

Supernatural S09E22: "Stairway to Heaven"

I think this might've been the first Castiel-centric episode of Supernatural where I was actually totally invested right from the start. I didn't even have to be convinced it wasn't pure fangirl fodder. (I know.) "Stairway to Heaven" wasn't even a complete Cas-fest; the Castiel stuff shared screentime with Dean's epic bloodlust/manpain, which, with one—ONE—episode left in Season Fine, has finally started to get cray cray and awesome. You know, just in time for summer break. 

Despite the dour ending, "Stairway to Heaven" featured "Commander" Castiel in all his reluctant, fearless-leader glory, and after hearing all about Castiel the Soldier for so long, it was nice to actually see that persona. He's been the "baby in a trenchcoat" for far too long. I mean, "raised your ass from perdition" is the finest flavor of Castiel—though "new and improved, with 100 percent more pop culture references" is a close second. Also: Aww, he was so proud to get the LOTR reference. 

And of course, like basically everything else on Supernatural, Castiel's tenure as the cuddly puppy-dog alternative to Team Boogertron was short-lived, and of course it was because he couldn't bring himself to shank Dean in response to the shanking of Tessa, the latest casualty of Dean's ongoing shank-fest who was also an angel or something? STOP TOUCHING THE MYTHOLOGY, SUPERNATURAL. JUST STOP IT. 

And stop killing all the girls. 

And stop... just stop. If you want to stab something, go stab Sam, because he's been super-dumb lately and at least then I'll be able to feel all happy about the Cain and Abel parallels you've been shoving down our throats since Cain first revealed that Abel—the biblical goody-two-shoes of old—was actually cavorting with Satan when his big bro did him in. Not to mention the fact that next week is the season finale, and all good Supernatural finales require Sam to do his best corpse-bride impression. The show is is 63 in dog years, it's allowed to be comfortable, and frankly, when it tries to rewrite the details, we get "Bloodlines" and "Taxi Driver" and the muckity-muck of an uneven season that started out promising, which makes the pain feel that much more severe. 

There's certainly still hope for a great finish, though. "Stairway to Heaven" is proof of that—aside from the whole reapers-are-angels thing. 

Here's what was great: 

Dean's Mark of Cain bloodlust was kicked up to 11 this week, as he argued with Sam over whether or not the First Blade should be his new favorite binky and went far beyond being a mere dickhead to acting really quite terrifying. The terror isn't necessarily in the bloodshed—though it's definitely disturbing and such an extreme opposite of the Anti-Torture Dean we saw in the aftermath of his hell-cation. The gore, the blood, the delight in terrorizing his victims is the icing on the cake of everything else. "Everything else" being when Dean isn't running someone through with the First Blade. 

Dean is capable of being pretty bloodthirsty and scary even when he isn't all hopped up on Mark of Cain juice. He has some pretty nasty—and totally sober—kills under his belt. We know exactly what he's capable of, and the thing is, so does Dean. With the exception of his time in Purgatory, Dean himself is generally pretty horrified by the man he's grown up to be, clinging to the "hero" label as though that makes it better somehow. And maybe it does, but just a little. Both Dean and Sam have certainly done "what they had to do" at various points in Supernatural's run, from throwing a demon-blood kegger to torturing for hire to letting Lucifer say yes to the meat-dress to or stuffing an archangel down a coma patient's throat against his will. Even in Purgatory, I don't think Dean particularly enjoyed the killing, but he enjoyed not having to think about it, not having to justify it. It was "pure" in the sense that inhibitions weren't necessary. They were still in the back of his mind, however.

Together, the Mark and the First Blade eliminate that inhibition. We've seen Dean do some terrible stuff even with self-control. Dean WITHOUT self-control is something utterly terrifying, and not only does Dean know it, but Dean likes it. He's spent half this season trying to win back Sam's approval following the Gadreel incident, and years before that trying to please Castiel, Lisa, John Winchester, and cute blondes in high school history class, and it's never really worked out. Now, as far as Dean's concerned, it doesn't have to. 

Back in Sam's demon blood days, so much of his self-destructive rage was fed by residual disappointments with his life, his relationships, his feelings of failure when it came to (not) saving Dean from Hell, (not) being the good soldier John Winchester wanted, (not) escaping the hunting life. All those seeds were planted well before the series picked up in the middle of his life. Dean has sorely needed a similar treatment for a long time, and his descent into corruption is no less satisfyingly tragic. 

Metatron's tenuous control on Heaven, which is slipping further and further despite his swelling ranks, proved itself to be a comfortably slow-burn story heading into the finale. It made Gadreel's long-anticipated betrayal a cathartic experience for all... until Dean stabbed him with the First Blade. It's just a flesh wound, right? RIGHT?

"Stairway to Heaven" also (sort of) gave us a reunited Team Free Will. Dean's reassurance that Cas and the Winchesters versus the world beats the armies of heaven and hell any day of the week represented the sort of solidarity Season 9 has been missing since... well, it's just been missing it. Granted, it's hard to get behind the awesome threesome with Dean in his current homicidal state, but, eh, we'll get there. Teamwork makes the dream work. 

I'm still really bummed about killing off Tessa though. :( 

NOTES

– Dumb Winchester Sighting: OMG get it together, Sam. 

– Lol @ Boogertron being called a "nerd." I see what you did there!

– "Old shoes and... alcoholism?"

What did you think of "Stairway to Heaven"? What are your predictions for the finale? Who's gonna die (for now)? Who's gonna live (for now)?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

163 Comments
Comments (167)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
:) I've been waiting for dean to finally get here and it's utterly terrifyingly magnificent. Dean has always had darkness and anger, and well is capable killing with ease, and each season we see a steady increase in his violent ways so this season and the effects of the mark just fit so well. Poor Tessa I liked her I wish they hadn't have killed her, and poor Gadriel, dean went full primal instincts on him I hope he's ok I was getting used to seeing that handsome hunk of a man. METATRON MUST DIE.
Flag
So ive wanted to ask about this for a while but not that its been brought back up during Tessa's (RIP) speech, the whole lost souls who would've gone to heaven and their screams, anyone remember episode 4 of this season with Charlie and The Wizard of Oz take, when Charlie died she woke up and was talking about a nice dream and Dorothy told her she went to heaven. But the hates were shut and locked... Cmon writers make sure you talk to each other before adding in mid season story arcs y'all are better than that
Flag
So we go on to the finale underwhelming or what I preferred Abbadon story then this metatron is boring and stupid at least Dean is going all psycho on everybody, hopefully next season the last. I feel the show has run out of ideas now and is rehashing the same ideas again a bit like Lost and Heroes I am not sure if I tune in for season next year.
Flag
I don't think the show has run out of ideas yet. The storyline is amazing. The writers don't know what the heck their are doing. All the best behind the scene people have
either died of left the show. Kripke, Lunden, ( I think that's how you spell his name ) Gamble, and of course Kim Manners. CW/TNT has one really amazing show on ( SPN ) and they are screwing it all up. The audience ( fans ) are not only American but from Canada, South American, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and even now the fandom has extended to Muslim countries.

I'm sure that worldwide, the ratings for SPN are explosive. We basically only hear of the American and maybe Canadian ratings. But I'm sure, world wide, at this point and time, globally, the rating are phenomenal. Jensen said in one of comic con shows, that he and his fellow SPN work family even had a mass said especially for them ,in Rome at Saint Peters, under a portrait of Michael and Lucifer. How amazing is that !

Flag
It will probably end up like Quantum Leap with endless reruns on cable worldwide yes but I feel the show has run its course and if does continue it will be like flogging a dead horse !
Flag
And being Supernatural, the horse will go to Hell then be raised up again. It will go the Heaven but return to earth. Then it'll go to Purgatory but escape. Then it'll time travel and become its own father or something.
Flag
I don't really agree or disagree with your reply. As long as SPN get the mythology straight and they keep up with the consistency of the show. Ending SPN would be fine but with the respect that the show deserves. And if the writers can't get it together then yes it will be like flogging a dead horse. For me, as long as the show ends with all loose ends tied up, mythology straight and a powerful and believable, ending that would satisfy all the present and future fans, when it ends is not the question. It's how it ends that is the question.
Flag
Spears & Aguilera!!!! bahahahahhaa!!! laughing so hard!! tears!!!
Flag
Why Tessa? I liked her! Shame on you, writers, cause it isn't necessary.
Flag
So instead of making metatron a formidable foe that they should be afraid of and raise the stakes for us as viewers about what could happen . We get a loony opponent , why supernatural ?? I want to feel that our heroes are in real danger !!! not that them winning is inevitable.

Favorite quote in the episode : " I'm very pop culture savvy now " Castiel hahhah I don't think I'll ever reconcile Big Baby in a trench coat with commander Castiel who understands pop culture references .
Flag
This, this a thousand times this! I regret only that I have but one thumbs up to give.

This episode INTENTIONALLY made the sole remaining Big Bad look like a bumbling idiot (along with the angels in general). BOWLING? I couldn't help but feel like Metatron is being written/performed like Rick Moranis' character in Spaceballs (a spoof on Star Wars with Moranis as a bumbling version of Darth Vader).

Worse, they've gone off the deep end with Metatron. Back in the day, Chuck was God and also a writer. He actually represented Supernatural creator Eric Kripke, a writer and "god" of the show. Now Metatron the new God-wannabe has broken the fourth wall. He's the voice of the writing room and goes on and on about fiction writing terminology. I think the character is vastly less interesting to the audience than it is to the writing room; Metatron is somewhat of a vanity project.

I think it's all about the paychecks at this point. :-(

On Arrow season 2 is giving us a second half almost entirely devoted to the main plot, including the last six episodes. The Big Bad has been in the making since the early part of season 1 and is slowly destroying everything the hero cares about. He's had several years in show time to plan his revenge and is always two moves ahead of the heroes. Combined with his resources, allies and his own abilities he seems completely unbeatable. I believe the final two episodes and part of the one before it take place over a single evening with a reckoning/battle a season in the making with the budget being blown on special effects, fires, explosions, CGI, extras, etc. as an entire city of half a million is beset by an army of super-strong, super-healing terrorists, a homeland security agency blocking all routes out and sending in a wave of drones to level the city to keep the army and its super-soldier formula from escaping and our heroes only having until dawn to save the day.

Supernatural is giving us Metatron... trying on a trenchcoat and bowling.

Oh we are SO far away from the days of the Yellow-eyed Demon.....

More +
Flag
Season 9 is giving me Season 6 feelings. More often than not I'm embarrassed to be watching this show. A great deal of the time I'm embarrassed for the actors. Season 6 filled me with so much disgust, I didn't watch (haven't watched and will never watch) season 7. I fell into season 8 and only felt baffled about who the hell Charlie was, nothing else left me perplexed storywise. I'm feeling very little desire to watch season 10 and I know it's the last. Ugh.

I just didn't like this ep. I love Team Free Will, but it just seems so hollow that we are finally getting what we were expecting for the entire season in the last couple of rushed episodes of the season. I can't believe how stupid they portray the angels. I can deal with their Earthly naivete and racism, but I can't stand that these soldiers are HORRIBLE tacticians. They got one job and they aren't even good at it! How did no one not propose that someone was impersonating Castiel? Why didn't Dean or Sam propose this and show some fucking unwavering loyalty for their "brother" instead of standing around looking stupid and letting doubt be sown in the ranks that they probably would need to help fight Metatron?

Why are the angels just joining up with the dude that cast them out in the first place, instead of going over and kicking his ass? Their sudden, but inevitable demise is assured and uninteresting.

Dean going psycho just in time for the summer break. *yawn*

They did such a poor job with soooo many storylines this season. JFC.

More+
Flag
&They; got one job and they aren't even good at it!

So true. This whole episode the viewers knew everything that was going to happen even if we weren't supposed to but the characters couldn't figure anything out. We all knew right away that Metatron was behind the suicide attacks. We all knew Dean brought the knife with him. We knew the portal was a trap. We knew Gadreel would change sides (in fact, most probably knew it since the previous episode). Maybe not everyone knew Tessa was a goner, but we certainly knew Dean was going to attack Gadreel, etc. And of course we all knew the mark/blade would change Dean since it was first mentioned.

Part of me hoped during the Metatron and Castiel conversation that it would become clear neither side launched the suicide attacks and it would turn out to be some devious plot by Crowley or Abaddon or the first hints of an unseen Big Bad for next season to escalate the angel war for their own ends, etc. That was not to be, however. Despite what some insist here, the writing never gets that intricate or clever. Everything was telegraphed way ahead of time.
More +
Flag
Will next season really be the last?
Flag
As far as I know, no end date has officially been announced. Back in January, the head of the CW said the show could go on indefinitely.
Flag
I was afraid of that.
Flag
I too was a little confused by Tessa...I do have a vague memory of her status being changed the last time we saw her, but I was kind of confused that Dean could see her in the first place. But whatever, too bad she was some sort of weird convert of Metatron's, you would think Death would have something to say about him coopting her.

Anyway...I am a little confused. Yes. Confusion is the best description. Maybe the fact its the fact that Dean got a pretty clear set of directions from Cain. Kill Abaddon. Then come kill me. I don't remember killing Metatron being an option or learning it was the only weapon to kill him. And then, this totally homicidal Dean, that can't be exactly what Crowley wants. And, hello angels, it is not just because Cas can't recognize his best friend that he suspects something is wrong with Dean. And half of you saw the First Blade. What sort of impact does that actually have?
Flag
Hi all first time poster here now this episode did bring up an interesting question for us , in all honesty ever since we saw kevin tran's ghost we were wondering so here it is.

Where is DEATH during all this he must be furious about the souls not being able to get where they need to be, it is kind of his area he does the killing then his reapers take them to either heavan or hell, was death equally effected by the fall ?? can he still do his job ?? and why did dean not ask about him during the interrogation of tessa ??

In the past we have been led to believe that death possess's an extraordinary amount of power you know the whole thing about how he will "reap" god one day and it just seems like with an overaching storyline like this pretty much angel and heavan centric that he should be involved.

It is not like dean to forget about death given that he is the only human to spend so much time with him and did it not occur to Dean that he would be the ultimate weapon in this angel war.

We would love to hear everone's thoughts

M
More+
Flag
It's a bit weird Death has not been aound more.
I also expected for Michael or Lucifer showing up again. Series usually like to bring back old, powerful characters.
Flag
Next season maybe it would be nice to see a pissed off Michael and a severely damaged Adam.
Flag
My impression of Death is that as long as people are dying the way they are supposed to, I don't think he'd really care whether their souls were then getting where they needed to be. And I don't think he'd be interested in getting involved in an angel war. I think he'd think that was beneath him. I see Death as more of a universal concept, rather than just some specialized kind of angel.
Flag
Interesting point there he has always had a certain non-chalonte attitude toward the seasons paticular storys and saying it is beneath him is kind of what he seems to project, however tessa said she could hear the screaming and pain of the souls if she can death must be able to, also it brings us back to appointment in samara when death lectured dean on the importance of not "stamping feet" and just doing the job it maybe that he just does'nt care but all these angel's must be increasing his work load though what with all the extra people that are dying as a result of their actions

Wow better stop for the moment so we can get our head around it but thanks for the disscussion.

M
Flag
It's a travesty, what they have done to Tessa. I really liked the character, so to see her turned into this desperate, suicide bomber who was so easily fooled by a fake Castiel was beyond painful to watch. Up until now, she has always been portrayed as a strong-willed, smart person.

And I won't even get into this whole Reapers & Angels conundrum. The showrunners have managed to turn this part of mythology into an incredibly murky territory, and there isn't much sense to be made of it without proper clarifications. If there ever can be any.

Metatron must truly be the most needy and insecure villain ever. In a way it makes sense, for a shunned scribe to want to become a popular leader. Trying too hard, not exactly knowing how to get there. His misleading "God-like" ways only further make him come off as pathetic. Plus this weird complex where he sets himself up as an underdog, only to seemingly emerge victorious.
I'm disappointed that angels as a whole are much worse than a bunch of confused children. The way their loyalties shift, there does not seem to be much in the form of coherent thoughts. I think I'd have an easier time accepting this if at least a few of them'd decided to stick with Castiel regardless. As it is, they all just amount to a formless mass.

Of the things I liked, Cas standing up on his own is always a welcome sight. Especially when he doesn't allow himself to be intimidated and ordered around by Dean. That's the Cas I would like to see more often, over the one that is consistentl lost and unsure of himself.
Dean's growing addiction to his new favorite toy is also being portrayed quite well. He really channeled that frightening part of his personality when he vehemently opposed Sam's attempts to send him to a rehab. Gadreel should count himself lucky that he didn't get the Blade deep into his guts... for now.

So in the end it all boils down to them three (four?) against the world. Once again. Or perhaps Crowley will hop along as well. I'm curious as to how the finale is going to play out, even if not too hopeful.
More+
Flag
After Bloodlines, there's nothing they can't do.
Flag
That's a harsh truth, I'm afraid.
Flag
I so like this storyline for Dean, I hope we get more of it.
Even after 9 seasons l enjoy the show, sometimes more than others, but it has a consistent major problem, lack or mistreatment of major female characters, and secondary for that matter. I guess i should get used to it after 9 years but i still hope, it seems in vain.
Flag
I just had a terrible thought. Many of you here have mentioned the whole Cain and Abel thing, and I know I read somewhere (in an interview with Jeremy Carver?) that this season will end with a cliffhanger that they've "never done before." So what if Cain Dean kills Abel Sam? What if in a MoC induced rage Dean actually kills, or nearly kills, or thinks he kills, Sam? I know the boys have died many times, but neither has ever killed the other.

I hope I'm wrong.
Flag
It was a good episode. Not what I was expecting, but different isn't always bad. There were the little things, like Reapers being Angels ( who can be possessed by Azazel?) But they've done a lot with The characters this season. But did anyone else notice how Dean went from telling Sam "we are not a team right now I call the shots get over it" to talking to Cas "you still got us. We have always been enough blah blah" it's like damn, which brother is treating which brother like shit, now?
Flag
I think reapers are angels, just a different kind for a different purpose. Reapers are angels of death, they're supposed to serve Death instead of Heaven (or hell). Also, Azazel was an incredibly powerful demon, and Crowley was able to possess Sam/Gadreel.. I realize Supernatural is just kinda making this shit up as it goes lol, but these details (for me anyways) are easier to swallow then the entire storyline of the backdoor pilot lol..
Flag
I don't think it's a matter of which brother is currently being a dick to the other, I think Dean's mood swings of late are due to him having the Devil('s Mark) inside. And the big honking, neon-colored, anvil, that was presented when he took the mark in the first place, Cain killed Abel. Sam standing in for Abel and Dean being Cain. Dean is probably itching to lope Sam's head off or at least give him a haircut.
Flag
I can see Dean't point. Sam's hair is indeed too long.
Flag
I loved this season and it doesnt bother me that the guest stars female or otherwise get killed off. This is not a happy ever after show and never was. I did love this episode so much and this season. There have been surprises and I like seeing Dean this way. I also like that Cas and the Winchesters are back together again. I loved the Dean Cas scene at the end I cant wait till the next episode. Also I think Gadreel will be ok but probably not happy about what happened. Just to repeat I love the trio of Cas and the brothers. I always like the shows with all 3 of them the best. And a side note to the author, I actually liked Taxi Driver
Flag
For those who are confused: Reapers are a sub-unit of angels. However, they don't serve Heaven or Hell. They only serve Death. Like Castiel described himself as "an angel of the Lord", Reapers are described as "angels of Death". Despite this, some reapers can go rogue and stray from their natural order. I'm assuming that Tessa did so which is why she was hanging around the angels of Heaven.
Flag
this is kind of random thought: I still want to know how Azazel was able to possess Tessa back in season 2 ep 1
Flag
Well, Crowley was able to hop into Sam's body with Sam and Gadreel still in there. If we assume Tessa is an angel who is already in a willing vessel, maybe a demon could hop in there too and try to take the wheel if it wanted. Probably most demons would consider jumping into a body with an angel who could smite them in there already a highly inadvisable tactic, though... But maybe Reaper angels don't get all the powers other kinds of angels do?
Flag
I don't like that Reapers are now angels. I always thought they were their own species.

I can't get into the character of Gadreel. I know it's not the actor because I liked him as Helo on BSG and Agent Paul Ballard on Dollhouse. He was also on Continuum.

I really want the angel storyline to wrap up so we can move on to other things but I think it will likely drag into next season.
Flag
&I; don't like that Reapers are now angels. I always thought they were their own
&species;

Absolutely. The first reaper we saw wasn't Tessa; it was in the episode Faith, Season 1, episode 12. It looked like the Tall Man from Phantasm. It was being controlled by dark magic! It could only be seen by those about to die, etc. It was mentioned in John's journal. Reapers had their own distinct lore. Reapers have since been retcon-ed on the show (along with many other things).
Flag
I had noticed that Dean offering his left hand to Gadreel for a handshake was a definitive sign there was something terribly wrong because the origin of the handshake was precisely to prove that your dominant hand had no weapons. But I believe it Gadreel will survive, though I'm not sure in what condition exactly.
Flag
Very good episode, and am looking forward to next week's finale. Sad to see Tessa go, but I have to agree with others who said the mythology wasn't messed with because Reapers are Angels of Death, and also Dean did NOT kill Tessa, she rammed herself into the blade. I am definitely loving Dark Dean, and can't wait to see how far he is going to spiral. Sam and Cas probably should have known that Dean was going to try and kill Gadreel, but they might not have thought he was going to do it at that point - maybe they thought he would wait until after they took out Metatron. Sucks that Cas lost his Angel followers but I am fine with him reuniting with the Winchesters. Looking forward to season finale next week.
Flag
The first appearance of Reapers was in Season 1 Episode 12. They were not identified as angels anywhere in that episode. The reaper in that episode was done with creepy makeup and never spoke a word. The mythology has been significantly revised since then.
Flag
It was a clunky episode and it didn't really feel like the penultimate episode of the season unlike Season 8's one to me. I think I'm just going through the motions with this show now.

However, the Agents Spears and Aguilera scene was spot on lol and Metatron is BEYOND IRRITATING now!
Flag
I just rewatched Season 1 Episode 12 with the first appearance of a reaper to check the original lore. It's AMAZING how much different the episode felt. This was way before the paint-by-numbers pattern of show up as FBI, guess which local is a monster, etc. showed up. There were serious questions about life and death and choosing who lives and dies and killing humans and all sorts of stuff in this episode. To stop the (bound!) reaper meant not letting a good, young person be healed of a terminal illness.

I don't think it's just you who's going through motions. :-( The writers are too. Watching this episode again has almost made me decide to stop watching after this season. There's just no way if you actually watch the older episodes to believe they're not just making it up as they go along now and doing it for the paycheck.
Flag
I think I'd check a bit further before ranting about the mythology. The show's been running a while and I don't remember the episode title, but they definitely established that reapers are specialized angels who collect the souls of the dead.
Flag
I believe you're incorrect. The first episode with a reaper was Season 1, episode 12, "Faith". Dean gets seriously injured and Sam takes him to a faith healer who heals him. Someone dies of the same injury at the same time and they become suspicious. It turns out the preacher's wife is using a dark magic spell to bind a reaper, kill those she believes are immoral and give life to others. I just rewatched the episode and nowhere in it does the word "angel" come up when Sam and Dean research reaper lore. In fact the original reaper was anything but angelic... it was a creepy-looking guy with layers of makeup and clouded contact lenses to look somewhat life a corpse and he wore a dark suit and never spoke a word.

Anything else they did with reapers after that would be changing the original mythology as laid out in episode 12.
Flag
No, they didn't. The first hint that reapers are angels came in 9.03 where the reaper possessed poor April and then died in a burst of light when Dean stabbed her with an angel blade, but it wasn't explicitly stated. This was the first episode where it was.
Flag
I dug your review! Not so much the episode, for almost too many reasons to list. I did like it better upon second viewing, but still...

Most of all, I'm sad what's become of Sam. But I'll withhold complete judgement until after the finale.
Flag
Besides the mythology ( Tesse is an angel vs not being an angel ), this episode IMO, was one of the best we have seen in a long time. Deannnn, what the H***. Outstanding . " This is a dictatorship. " Wow ! This not our Dean talking ? Is it ? lol.

Killing Crowley off now would not be smart. The boy's need Crowley to help find Cain. Before Dean kills his brother. Please NO.

Dean is going to realize 1st hand now what being possessed is really like and Sam is probably gong to realize at what length you would go to save someone you love.

What a turning point this episode gave us.

Can't wait for Season 10.
Flag
&Sam; is probably gong to realize at what length you would go to save someone you
&love.;

Episode 12, "Faith", Dean gets injured on a hunt and Sam tricks him into going to a faith healer. Dean is healed and someone else dies as a result. Dean is upset and believes Sam should have let him die, while Sam was determined to do anything to save Dean. So we've already gone down that road. :-)
Flag
I guess you try to respect someone's wishes, but it is hard, no matter what you say, your first instinct is to try to save the person you love. No matter how many times you go down that road. Even if this means deceiving them.

"Faith" proves the point that Dean has a heart. Not only for Sam, but the rest of innocent human beings. And I don't think all of this has to do because he can't really live without Sam. IMO, no matter what Sam said or wished, when push comes to shove, he is exactly like Dean. Which is a quality I like in both of them. We what to expect and I personally don't mind. SPN, is about life and death. So let this dead horse be beaten over and over again. Just keep to the mythology. :-)
Flag
Fantastic episode. It's hard to see Dean so brutal and cold (Blade influence) and Sam so helpless, but it's really interesting. The brothers' relationship has never been this broken. It won't stay that way, and they can't go back to how it was before either, so what's going to happen? Castiel was wonderful in this episode on many levels. He got played by Metatron and deserted by his army, but he has a grasp on what is the right thing to do now. No one is going to bully him into hurting Dean. Like Metatron said about Cas: "He's in love."
Flag
Overall I thought this episode was really good. My only complaints are about Tessa and the whole reaper/angel confusion, which I'm still confused about. I just thought Tessa was wasted in this appearance. I've always enjoyed her character, but here she was just weird. I get her being upset that heaven was closed and the souls she'd normally escort were in pain, but to become a suicide bomber...? Also bummed that she had to die. Bye Tessa!

Otherwise, lots of good stuff. Loved the pop reference like when Sam and Cas were getting to the Stairway, and Spears and Aguilera!

While I did enjoy Cas' minions for a while, it really felt right for it just to be the three of them again at the end. Go Team Free Will!

I love you Sam, but I have to agree with MaryAnn and many others of you here - you have been DUMB lately. Who didn't know Dean was taking the blade with him? And who didn't know he was going after Gadreel at the end (btw, please don't let Gadreel be dead yet!)? But I still have faith. Sam will pull it together in the end and save Dean, just like Dean has saved him all those times. Right Sammy? Right?

Oh Dean. You are scaring the crap out of me lately and I kind of love it! It is so nice to give Jensen the chance to sink into Dean's evil supernatural vibe. Will he be cured by Sam's love by the end of the next episode? I rather doubt it. I suspect he'll kill Metatron and likely a bunch of others and then go completely over the deep end. And that'll be the cliffhanger for this season.
More+
Flag
"Hmm we haven't had a girl the boys like die for a while. James who do we still have left?"
"Ummmm let's see .... No. No. No. No. Nope. No..... There was that reaper girl Dean had a thing for half a decade ago. But she's not an angel so she doesn't fi..."
"Perfect!"
Flag
They're almost out of targets now... Crowley even did in people they saved in previous seasons for good measure... maybe in Season 10 they could kill off some of the dogs in Dean's pack when he was sharing minds with a canine?
Flag
Anyone else think that Dean might be losing his soul? He hasn't been sleeping, seems to not care about others and seems to be losing his inhibitions...reminds me of Souless Sammy.
Flag
I think you've got a problem with Sam...the fan girl is strong in this one... ^^
Flag
Poor tessa! I really enjoyed this episode. I hope the finale is as good.
Flag
Great episode! I really enjoyed it! But I too thought it weird to make Tessa pass for an angel like the others. And I agree with Mary Ann: Stop killing off the girls!!!! I liked Tessa! I hope Dean didn't kill Gadreel too!
Flag
Come Home

I'm really frustrated of the path that the Supernatural creators has taking it this season. This season has been one messy up-and-down journey that showed us that they didn't even know how to fill up the whole season, before coming to the end. I've been a true Supernatural fan since the journey began, til the very true ending -- the season five finale. That was when Supernatural was true to it's story and the characters.

From my point of view, Supernatural need to come back home. Come back to the true origin of the series, and what it was all about. It wasn't only about killing monsters and saving the world... It was about family. Two brothers, growing up and developing during the journey of saving the world. We are all sticking around because of the characters. But when the creators lose the real purpose and meaning of the show and their characters... What are we left with?
Poll

Flag
Well.. In my opinion when I look back on Season 9 I'll automatically remember the "theme"of the season being the brothers' relationship..and Angels of course. But this season has put so much effort into humanizing the main characters again. It still needs work andand isn't seasons 1-5 .. but season 9 vs. Seasons 6+7? Big change in dynamic of the writing.
Flag
Good to see Supernatural getting closer to its roots. Can't wait for the finale. Maybe Dean will kill Metatron with a limp wristed throw of the jawbone.

And can Metatron burp for us, just once?

Flag
I liked the Season Fine Part. I don't like Dean being evil, just feels wrong. The season didn't accomplish much. Cas tried becoming a leader and failed again. This season felt like a waste for most of the characters.

I can't stand Sam since the day he told Dean that they are partners and not brothers. From that episode on wards he is useless to me. He has not done one useful thing in this season. He is not supportive at the time when Dean needs his help the most. Whereas Dean saved him and defended this blood lust and demon s*x to everyone. Ungrateful basta*d.

if Season Ten is the last one, I want Dean to be back with Lisa and Sam can rot in hell.
Flag
Tessa killed herself. That was obvious in the scene.

Dean is being corrupted by the power of the MOC. Cool storyline. However, I didn't like the angels. They bugged me.
Flag
Agents Spears & Aguilera - how brilliant was that!

So Dean gave practically a Rick-Grimes-speech to Sam at the end, nice.

Flag
Guys - DEAN DIDN'T KILL TESSA. Tessa committed suicide. Get it together or at least do a re-watch. Hit slow mo if you have to, damn.

I actually really enjoyed this episode, but it did have a bit of clunkiness to it. I was confused by the angel/reaper thing at first, then I remembered that "reapers are angels of death" so I'm totally fine with this. What other being would be responsible for guiding souls to heaven or hell? An angel. Makes sense to me.

I would have to say, this is has to be Jensen Ackles' best performance of the season. The way he seamlessly transitioned from charming and funny, to angry and determined, to full-blown psychopath throughout the episode took my breath away. I'm glad the writers have given him something meaty he can sink his incredible acting chops into it.

I thought Dick Roman had the title of the most ridiculous Big Bad in SPN history, but I think Metatron has now taken the honor. How are we supposed to take this dude seriously? I think sometimes the writers try too hard to push so much humor and so much drama together that it just comes out a little clunky. In this episode, it seemed to work for Dean, Cas and Sam's scenes - for Metatron and Gadreel, not so much.

Here's the thing about Dean attacking Gadreel - he said he was going to avenge Kevin's death BEFORE he even got his hands on the First Blade, so I think the "Dumb Winchester Sighting" should go to Sam AND Cas for this one. Did they really *think* Dean was going to make nice with the guy?

I'm not really into the Destiel/subtext thingie or whatever, and I usually ignore it when viewers point it out, but I gotta say I would be lying if I said I wasn't feeling some vibrations in this episode. I felt like I was watching two people in a relationship battle through some trust issues, and that was BEFORE Cas refused to shank Dean. I also think it's interesting that some are shocked by the way in which Dean addressed Sam - let us not forget that Sam practically disowned Dean during the first half of the season, so these two were on rocky ground before that mark was ever transferred to Dean.
More+
Flag
Well said !
Flag
Exactly, completely agree with you on all of that. Sam has had a lot of opportunities to get through all the issues that comes with the hunting life; although I don't like Dean being the bad guy, I'm glad the writers have been addressing some of Dean's problems for a change and will hopefully be better from it.
Flag
I was sad to see Tessa go too but the ending was cool. I'm starting to come around with Gadreel and hopefully that swipe with the blade wasn't enough to kill him. But yeah Dean really needed his own story-arc. And the trailer to the next episode looks really really good! My expectations are starting to rise again. =)
Flag
I truly do not understand where the criticism for this episode comes from. This was the best episode this season and one of the all time best episodes period!

The dialogue was so on the nose. The characterization of the angels was story telling at its finest. Angels do not understand the very concept of free will so it was easy to turn then against Cas. The angels can never be saved because they don't really want to be. They just want another leader to subjugate them and Metatron knows that. Reunitingg team free will just furher emphasizes that. Only those who fought against destiny can truly fight Metatron by being unpredictable.

Reapers being Angels is not retconning anything. Did we all forget that Reapers are the angels of death? Does anyone else not pay attention?

How was Sam dumb again? He knows the dangers of the blade based on history and is being proactive to stop calamity. Though he didn't seem to have a big role this time.

Also why is anyone saying Dean killed Tessa. The show even says he didn't. She pushed herself on the blade. Dean trying to kill Gadreel also makes sense. The guy killed Kevin who Dean felt responsible for. Doesn't matter if they all did evil things at one point. This was still revenge further fueled by the blade and what a good scene it was. He is clearly not dead and I hope he doesn't die. Gadreel is in the position to easily join Team Free Will since he has the regrets, coming to an understanding of free will and kicks ass. Please don't let him die! The show needs to start rebuilding a cast of characters.

Also i find second in command angel to be very attractive. That is all!
More+
Flag
I truly do not understand where the criticism for this episode comes from.

It comes from the fact that nothing happened that the audience didn't see coming immediately: Metatron being behind the suicide attacks, Dean secretly bringing the knife with him, etc. It comes from a character suddenly behaving differently (Tessa). It comes from intentionally making the Big Bad look a bumbling, insecure goof, thus removing any fear of him. Heck, the entire season as yet to establish any reason why the viewer should care that the angels are locked out of heaven. As noted by another poster earlier, they've retconned in this idea of souls being locked out of heaven (Charlie was there in her last episode). So, we knew everything that would happen in the first few minutes and we were left to watch as it slowly played out.

This was the best episode this season and one of the all time best episodes period!

Really? From the appearances of the Trickster, the battles with the Yellow-eyed demon, the changelings, the shapeshifters in the bank, anything with Charlie in it, the episode told from the point of view of Bobby, the romps with Garth, and so many other choices, you think this stands as one of the best episodes ever made?

The dialogue was so on the nose.
What dialogue? Everything's one-dimensional now so the dialogue follows from that. Sam thinks Dean is controlling. Dean thinks Sam is ungrateful. Castiel is a reluctant leader. The only one who spouted any dialogue of substance was Metatron and his speech to Castiel, and even then he didn't persuade anyone with his words so much as his revelation.

The characterization of the angels was story telling at its finest.

They're clueless robots... I'm surprised Summer Glau hasn't played one yet. ;-)

They just want another leader to subjugate them and Metatron knows that.
We all know that, because like with the last Ghost Facers episode they're making it painfully clear.

Only those who fought against destiny can truly fight Metatron by being unpredictable.
What is more predictable than a Winchester? Heck, this episode showed that with Cas dubbing them agents Spears and Aquilera, didn't it?

&Reapers; being Angels is not retconning anything. Did we all forget that Reapers are
&the; angels of death? Does anyone else not pay attention?

Actually the first appearance of a reaper was in season 1, episode 12, Faith. There was no mention of a reaper being an angel at all. In fact, the reaper wore a lot of makeup that made it look like a corpse. It could only be seen by those about to die. It was being controlled by a binding spell! It was also black magic with nothing Enochian that we would later see with angels. In short, nothing suggested angel at all in that episode. Anything they did later with reapers was a retconn from the original appearance in that episode.

The show needs to start rebuilding a cast of characters.

They'll only kill them again in a forced attempt to garner an emotional response from the audience. I predict that in season 10 Crowley will have Dean's dog friends from the pound gassed.

More +
Flag
For me the issue is that it undoes the character development for Castiel that was never really explored in any major way since Meta Fiction. Seems pointless to have had him decide to take on that mantle, only to strip it away so quickly...
Flag
Stupid phone typing. It all came out as one paragraph. Sorry all lol.
Flag
Agents Spears & Aguilera...lol
Flag
*sobs because next week the season will end*
Flag
After the "Previously on..." promo, I had to pause. "Tessa? Who the hell is Tessa? Oh ya, that reaper chick. Really Supernatural? You're going to reboot a character who's been on 3 times, 3, 5 and 7 years respectively? Okay"

I then had to pause again upon her introduction and re-Google what I'd just Googled. "Nope, she's definitely a reaper. What's this whole angel business? And where's Julian Richings? I love that creepy guy."

Ugh! This is more confusing than re-casting the same actor to play a different character (looking at you Smallville). I don't know if Supernatural is actively trying to discourage me from returning for season 10...but it sure seems like it.

I'm having enough trouble accepting the fact that the entire Boogertron/Abbadon as well as Sam vs Dead vs Gadreel storylines could have been completed in less than 10 episodes...don't go making me have to accept other stupid things on top of that.
Flag
Who was recasted on Smallville? You mean Justin Hartly in the Aquaman pilot?
Flag
I just went to pull the episode information only to discover I was completely wrong, though IMO completely understandable.

Perhaps this falls under the, "Well, duh!" category, but Shawn Ashmore and Aaron Ashmore are different people. When Aaron got cast as Jimmy Olson I thought, "Hey, wait a minute...that's the meteor freak who stole Clark's powers in a lightning strike.". Which only stood out because that episode was the first time I heard the song Bonecracker by Shocore and I dug it.

I was wrong this whole time {retracting my "looking at..."} :)
Flag
OH! Right! Totally forgot about that!
Yeah, you're perfectly understandable.
Flag
I'm sure reapers have been angels for quite a while now, in Supernatural-verse. The bitching about it feels very delayed.
Flag
Ya, seriously. They said a LONG time ago that Reapers were lesser angels back within the first 2 seasons of introducing angels. Just like cupids are a type of angel.
Flag
In which episode did they confirm it?
Flag
Not that them messing with that mythology wasn't stupid. It was. (I remember being annoyed at the time.) But it's a stupid thing they did a while ago.
Flag
So reapers are angels now?
What cannon will they butcher next?
They should have left Supernatural as a Monster of the Week show with a secondary subplot going on throughout the seasons. Once they started bringing in angels and demons on a regular basis it removed the mythological and mysterious aspect and just made them run of the mill and underwhelming.
Flag
I rewatched the season 1 episode 12 episode "Faith" to see the first appearance of a reaper after this episode. It's AMAZING how different the feel of the show was back then. No paint-by-numbers badge-flashing hunt. It started with a hunt and Dean being injured, Sam takes Dean to faith healer, Dean is healed and they realize someone in town dies at the same time, they figure out it's someone controlling a reaper to give and take life, Dean realizes that someone died because of him and also realizes that if they stop the reaper a poor dying girl won't get healed and they have to address these issues and make a decision... all in one episode (that would be a whole season nowadays)!. The monster the episode opened with was a "rawhead", had to be put down with electricity, and actually *looked* like a monster with appropriate makeup/costume. It was scary! So was the reaper (clearly NOT an angel).

What you wrote about mythological and mysterious were exactly my thoughts after seeing this episode again after so many years (along with SCARY). Remember when Supernatural was scary, such as the episode at the haunted asylum? Remember when episodes raised moral questions, like "Faith" and like the one where they had the change to let the creepy doctor who could extend life go in exchange for keeping Dean alive and prolonging the time he had before going to Hell?

And this episode had... bowling with Metatron. Yikes. I'm so depressed right now I've gone to 90% sure I won't watch season 10 even though I've still got to watch the finale for this season. :-( I think I'd enjoy watching these old episodes more. I miss the creepy ghost kids and changelings and shapeshifters and strigas and rawheads (which we never saw again outside of that one cameo) and all the monsters that looked like monsters and were actually scary. Heck, I miss the Trickster and the Ghost Facers before they ruined them and Charlie and Rufus and Garth and the comic relief they could provide too.
More +
Flag
OMG this episode was all over the place IMO. There were so many random scenes and the whole Metatron was ridiculous and convoluted. This season started really nice but with every episode it's getting into the not so good category.
Flag
Since hearing of the news of season 10, i've been racking my brains out trying to work out who is left to be the bad guy for next season and with this recent episode, i'm actually swaying towards it actually being Dean!
Flag
This would co-inside with Naomi's so far unrevealed fears of Dean presented in the previous season, she was so scared of him to the point that she wanted Cas to kill him.
Flag
I think the "Reapers are Angels" thing was as close to an apology for the Taxi Driver canon abuse we'll get. It was kind of just floated in there in Dean's dialogue w/ Tessa. Nothing will ever make up for the mess that was Taxi Driver (aside from firing the dynamic duo) but I was happy that they at least acknowledged it.

In someways it makes sense though it's not perfect. Angels have now fallen so therefore they wouldn't have the ability to go unnoticed like in "My Time of Dying" they would be fully corporeal.

Overall it was a very good episode. There was actually some legitimate tension that hasn't been seen since the season started. There was some humor thrown in. The script felt concice and focused. It escalated the primary plot for the season in a satisfying way.
Flag
Sorry anything with Castiel has the power to make me fast forward immediately. This boring character has nothing more to give, apart from fan service to certain groups.

Apart from that I want the brothers together as a team, not dragged further and further apart.

Carver and his writers continue to serve up mediocre, long-drawn out and forgettable episodes. I can't even remember the names of past season nine episodes, yet I can recite them all up until the end of season seven.

Carver then continues to merrily trash canon, and most importantly he has ruined Sam and Dean's brotherly bond, which is the only reason this show is still on the air; because of the long-time brother fans who are now being punched in the face.
Totally unfair.
Flag
Yeah ... I think the review is far too favorable. The episode pissed me off more than usual. And I'm not entirely sure the mark is even affecting Dean's emotions or whatever because he's always been a major dick. Also "dictatorship" probably wasn't the best word to use there ... it's making me feel gross and uncomfortable.

I don't like that Dean's going dark ... I'm not sure why the writers feel the need to do this but whatever, I think I only watch for Cas at this point, everything else that happens just annoys me to no end. Like Abaddon dying, the writers forcing the worst character in history of supernatural a.k.a. Metatron and keeping Crowley FORVER ... it's no longer cute nor funny. I never even liked Crowley in the first place. I don't get why "fan favorite" characters must be forced when they've outlived their usefulness and/or no longer interesting. (hint: Crowley/Metatron/Gadreel)

p.s. And no, I'll never forgive Gadreel for killing Kevin.
p.s.s. Maybe I'll be happy if they decide to bring Alaina Huffman back. Hey, they brought back Misha twice or three times already. I don't care how it happens, just make it happen.

inbefore hate replies.
More+
Flag
the writers forcing the worst character in history of supernatural a.k.a. Metatron

Chuck the author/god was a stand-in for Eric Kripke as he was the creator/"god" of Supernatural. I think it's quite clear that Metatron as a new writer/god is a stand-in for the current writing room (to the point of ridiculousness such as "Meta-fiction"). You might find it interesting to draw some conclusions about the current writing team from that observation.
Flag
There were a few great lines in the beginning that reminded me of the olden Supernatural humor the show's been missing lately. The story was all kinds of meh, Boogertron being behind the suicides was fairly obvious and Dean's dictatorship-speech was produced out of thin air. Don't you think there's space between "The Blade makes me angry and homicidal" and "Wraah, dictatorship!"? I love the idea of Dean having to face the demons rooted in his past like you said but the way they're doing it doesn't excite me.

Kripke's free now that Revolution's been canceled, isn't he?
Flag
Honestly, I would love it if Ben Edlund came back. He was also with Revolution and he wrote some of my fave Supernatural episodes: The End, Abandon All Hope, The French Mistake, and Everybody Hates Hitler, as examples.
Flag
Dean has always been a bit of a dictator, to be honest.
Flag
I would describe Dean as stubborn and completely sneaky. Lol. But always with good intentions and a good heart. When push came to shove, Sam could always talk him down to some sort of reason. This MOC Dean is completely narrow minded and will not stop. ( maybe capable of even killing an innocent by stander ). Even Sam. Looks like Dean, lost his humanity. In my book, all dictators have no humanity.

Flag
I mean he likes to do things his way and boss people around especially Sam. Maybe because he always was papa's little soldier he eventually took his role even if he tries not to make his father's mistakes. But yes he used to be more open to Sam's suggestions. The loss of humanity is something that has been happening for years (remember when they went from "saving people" to killing demons instead of trying to save the human?), but it is also something very inconsistently written: one week they want to kill a girl who was abducted and brainwashed by vampires, next week they make monstery friends in Chicago. Anyway, yes, the MOC is making Dean more brutal than ever
Flag
I agree with most of what your saying. If you remember in season one it was, Bobby who told them about the demon and the girl who was trapped inside. I believe this was the first Meg. The brothers were doing an exorcism on her. Winchesters were, at the time trying to find out where John was. Bobby opened their eyes to the fact. Yes, before that that were killing off people because they didn't know. I was watching an episode, S5. the other night on TV. Dean was giving Sam so much support. Sam was saying that there was know one to blame but himself. He had the demon blood, he was angry. Ruby, Lilith and so on were not to blame. He himself was the evil one. Dean, gave Sam the support to move on. I think we tend to forget how really Dean, deep inside had /has a kind and good heart. But yes, Deans always been the bad boy, always has been and always will be.

He along with Sam, was always there to help a human being. I'm not taking sides because I adore them both equally. But I am getting tired of everyone saying how awful Dean is. Watch some of the earlier shows.
Sam and Dean somehow see be balance each other out. Ying and yang, sort of thing.
And I totally agree with you about the writers. They are the problem with all the inconsistencies of the show. I wonder if theses writers ever sat down and actually saw SPN from the beginning. Or even communicate with each other. It's not Sam. It's not Dean. The writers are all, to say the least, a disaster in keeping up with the shows original vision. The storyline is amazing it's how it's written. Sam, in the few last episode has been saying absolutely crazy things to Crowley. Especially when it comes to The blade and how he is going to off Crowley soon. No wonder Crowley vanished with the blade. This not our Sam. The Sam we all know. Sam is not an idiot. Neither of them are. But the writers are sure changing our characters into idiots.

More +
Flag
Did you watch Revolution? It was like the onscreen portrayal of Kripke's personal epic battle with ADHD and frustrated homosexual urges. Mess.

I don't think he's the guy to wrangle the aimless, mediocre, and frankly at times down right embarrassing state SPN has spiraled into over the past 4-5 years.
Flag
Now I remember Revolution. The series you mean. Yes, pretty bad.
Flag
This is the longest comment I have ever wrote. My apologies if my grammar and maybe communication skills are not up to par with the rest of you. English is my second language.

A this moment I don't remember Revolution. Yes, I agree that SPN has spiraled down since Season 5. But then, what the heck is the problem?
IMO, it's the writers. SPN fans know more about the mythology, lore and whole storyline than these supposedly professional writers. Writers, get your lore, mythology and storyline straight first. Then, make sure that the storyline makes sense and is powerful.

I believe, and correct me if I am wrong, there are too many writes, who don't seem to communicate with each other or at least are not interested in seeing what the other writers have come up with. This is why I think Kripe needs to be there. At least to over look at what is happening between each episode and to make consistent and sense of each and every episode.

There are so many awesome storylines going in all different directions right now. For me, this is the tragedy, That SPN has fallen into.

Also, only one example, lately Sam hasn't been Sam anymore. Words that are coming out of his mouth are not the words of our Sam. And I'm not talking about the brotherly disagreement between the two. Sam is too smart to tell Crowley we are going to kill you as soon as we kill Abadoon. With the blade right there, where Crowley can vanish with the blade. Or even leaving Crowley in a room together with his son, so they both can vanish. These are not our Winchesters.

I don't mind fillers, but even the fillers are getting odd and out of place as well.

After saying all this. Is it the low budget that SPN has? If so, cut down to 16 episodes a season. ( the actors may not like it but at this point what the heck ).

Any way, I know for sure that Jared and Jensen are not the issue here at all.
They both are the biggest reason I always come back to the show.

Anyway, sorry if I vented my feelings with all my friends.

More +
Flag
So who was responsible for the targeted, good and frankly usually very awesome first five seasons of Supes? I don't think you can blame anyone but Kripke for those. Yes, I watched Revolution. It sucked. Doesn't mean Kripke's a bad showrunner.
Flag
The late great Kim Manners? Look him up. After he died, SPN started showing a greater lapse in cohesion, even before Kripke left.

I don't even want to go into Revolution, it was flawed from its erroneously understood scientific concept to its personality disorder having characters, lol.

I don't think Kripke is the worst, but I do think he's a guy that needs someone else to point out that he went from A to Q and didn't bother to privy the audience (or the actors, watch some of the Revo cast interviews, omgosh) as to how or why you've suddenly reached this step. The current showrunners and writers of SPN seem to have the SAME.DAMN.PROBLEM. It's five season later and it would take some serious skills to tighten shit up at this point.
Flag
I guess we just have different opinions of season 5. Back then I loved it and didn't feel the pacing problem you mentioned. However, as I have since matured as a quality-TV viewer it might still be right and I just saw it differently back then. One thing I know for sure is that Revolution's problems didn't end - or even start, for that matter - with leaps in logic.

"I would have preferred Sam's eternal damnation and Dean continuing in his effort to destroy his liver as a series finale as oppose to the nonsense that has come after."
Oh definitely, no discussion there!
Flag
tobsh

I loved season 4. Season 5 was pretty good in my opinion, but not exactly great. It had a pacing problem. There were too many unrelated fillers. Due to the fillers we got the seasonal story crunch. Sam and Dean made huge leaps in logic in the final hour. Did those leaps make any sense? No, but there were only two episodes left so Go, Go, Go! I still think the season 5 finale is hysterically bad. Chuck's twee VO and the super special army man in the Impala, lol. Michael and Luci engaging in fisticuffs, lmfao! But I would have preferred Sam's eternal damnation and Dean continuing in his effort to destroy his liver as a series finale as oppose to the nonsense that has come after.
Flag
Manners died during season 4. Obviously, he had a great part in the show's qualitative success but I wouldn't subscribe to saying it slacked or, as you put it, showed a lapse in cohesion after his death.

Episode 4x15's end credits included a dedication to Manners. Now, we could agree the remainder of the fourth season was still under the influence of Manners and maybe the bigger picture of the fifth as well. However, the fifth season was one of the best executed and written final seasons overall concerning the series-spanning arcs I have ever seen. You can't tell me that's not Kripke's accomplishment.

Revolution didn't lack good personnel in the creative (and hypothetical pointing-out-to-Kripke) department, yet it sucked. The concept simply failed.
Flag
Kim Manners is irreplaceable for sure. He was the backbone of the show. But he is gone. Kripe is the next best to step into his shoes. Without Kripe I don't think we have anyone else. ( Maybe )
Flag
Kripe knows his baby very well. Maybe now he'll come back home.
Flag
"Kripke's free now that Revolution's been canceled, isn't he?"

THIS.
Flag
NOOOOO to Tessa being killed off!! She was one of the few remaining female characters that I liked and Dean just had to kill her! *Sigh*

Seeing Team Free Will working together was awesome and I hope that more of this unity will be included next season.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    Caught on Camera With Nick Cannon High Jinx
    NEW
    NBC
  •  
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC