We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Supernatural Community
Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CW

Supernatural S09E23: "Do You Believe in Miracles?"

OH. OH SNAP. Supernatural went there! The show did it! I spent a good chunk of "Do You Believe in Miracles?" being angry about this and angry about that and WTF is with all the underwhelming character deaths this season... and then Dean died and became a demon and it was AWESOME. 

I screamed. I screamed and we were in the middle of some really nasty weather and my shinier half came running because he thought, like, a tree had gone through a window or something, and I was like, "DEAN WINCHESTER IS A (PROFANITY) (PROFANITY) DEMONYESSSSSSS."

"That's all?"

To which I screamed, "GET AWAY FROM ME, YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND."

Anyway, you fine people do understand. Look at this face.

That is the face of a geriatric show that realizes its time is limited and doesn't give a crap anymore. Sometimes that sort of attitude backfires and we get "Bloodlines," but sometimes it gives the cast and crew the freedom to irreparably alter their landscape of the characters. For most—if not all—of Supernatural's run, the roles of Sam and Dean have been clearly defined, and the writers have strayed very little from the Dean-is-good, Sam-is-bad dynamic. 

That sort of thing can get tiresome after awhile. The jabs about Supernatural repeating the same story over and over again have been coming since at least Season 5, and the tone of the ribbing has definitely changed. The comments about the meaninglessness of major character deaths, the static character development, the parade of lesser apocalypses went from being tongue-in-cheek references to Supenatural's "pattern" to showing increasing frustration with the show's inability and/or unwillingness to get out of its narrative rut. 

Season 9 wasn't without its flaws—Abbadon's death was rushed and underwhelming, Gadreel's apparent death aborted any possibility for a proper resolution to his story, "Bloodlines" was f*ing terrible, and Sam n' Dean spent pretty much the entire season loathing one another which, even for them, is a record. 

However, it can't be said that Season 9 didn't strive to do something completely different. The Winchester-conflict-of-the-season felt organic and justified in a way that it never really has. Castiel spent some quality time as a mud-monkey, and was very obviously altered by the experience. Sam got to be an angel for a hot second and it only took six seasons for the prophetic words of Dean's dream-self  in "Dream a Little Dream of Me" to come true, but finally—finally—Dean is a demon and Jensen Ackles will get to put on his best evildoer face. For someone who was disappointed that Abaddon's threat of possession never came to fruition, this is a surprising treat. 

Demon Dean also sets up Supernatural for a potential resolution to one of the most haunting failures of its other occasionally demonic brother: Sam not saving Dean from hell at the end of Season 3. It'll be interesting to see how much of Dean's true self remains in his new demon-bod. Despite all the bloodlust, in the end, Dean realized that the Mark of Cain was altering him in a way he didn't like. In Dean's mind, his greatest fault was getting off the rack in hell and torturing other souls, not just because it was one of the seals to release Satan, but because it was also the first step toward becoming a demon the old-fashioned way: through endless torture and soul-altering cruelty. In Dean's mind, the absolute worst thing he can become is the sort of thing he'd want to hunt. He was even willing to let Sam die back during the demon-blood days, rather than see his brother transformed into some sort of monster. If this new Dean is even slightly self-aware of who he is and what he used to believe, then Crowley isn't going to have the great and terrible weapon of mass destruction he thought he was getting. However, if Demon Dean is completely unaware of the man he once was, then Sam's gonna have his work cut out for him. 

It's a good thing he learned how to cure demons last season, amirite?

Word is still out on whether Season 10 is going to be Supernatural's last season. Personally, I'm leaning toward it being the final one. The path laid out in Season 9 and "Do You Believe in Miracles?" leads to an interesting narrative that feels like something the show needed to save for last. Sure, Metatron was merely imprisoned at the end of his reign, which means a jailbreak is always on the table for him, and Crowley is still out and about and pulling Dean's demonic strings, but for the most part, the Big Bad of Season 10, if we're to judge from the Season 9 finale, is no outsider: It's the Winchesters themselves. 

Heading into season 10, Dean and Sam's roles have been completely reversed. Dean is a baddie and Sam has to save him. We don't really know how the trials work, or if Sam can just pick up where he left off, but theoretically, by curing Dean, Sam will finally complete the third trial and close off hell for good. He may also die, so there's that drama, but whatever, you and I both know that he's going to cure Dean. The writers can't introduce "cure a demon" to the arsenal and then not use it when it really matters: when Dean needs it. 

Castiel's Season 10 story is a little less clear, and "find new grace or die" seems pretty run-of-the-mill by comparison to the Winchesters' arc, which has literally been nine seasons in the making. With Metatron in prison, heaven is once again without a leader, and in the wake of Cas's victory over Metatron, it seems that the lemming-esque angel crowd is once again giving Cas that starry-eyed hero-worship stare. I loved Castiel as a commander of an angel army and if Season 10 sees Castiel picking up where he left off—restoring order and civility to the angel ranks, teaching them how not to be awful, and, of course, looking for his grace—then that would be alright. I'm just concerned by how that will work alongside the epicness that the Winchesters are now set up for. So much of the psychological baggage they're unpacking goes way, way back: Dean's time in Hell, Dean being a "weapon," Sam looking for redemption and a place in his own family. I just don't want Castiel's story to feel tacked-on for the sake of giving Castiel screen time. 

Overall, "Do You Believe in Miracles?" certainly tripped in places, but it was fast-paced and game-changing in the way that Supernatural's best finales are. Nine seasons in, and we're still exploring new territory.

CASE NOTES

– Dumb Winchester Sighting: Okay, Sam. Lock bloodlust-crazed Dean in a room full of stuff he can use to escape. Brilliant idea. Oh, and then stick the magical semi-sentient monster blade in the first box you see, in the middle of the first place Dean will probably look, and lock it up with something Dean could've probably picked when he seven. With his eyes closed. YOU ARE IN A FREAKING MAGICAL BUNKER. TRY HARDER. 

– "Like winning a People's Choice Award—not quite the same thing, is it?" Wooooow. Rude? Was that rude? 

– "I'm proud of us." STOP IT. 

– What's on your Season 10 wishlist? SAM CURING DEAN. SAM DURING DEAN. Ahem. Go on...

– Oh, and more spellwork. The fact that Sam and Dean (but mostly Sam) keep overlooking the valuable potential of learning a few simple spells is frustrating. 

– Thanks for reading this season! See you in September/October! <3

What'd you think of the finale and the season overall? What's on your Season 10 wishlist? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 4/27/2016

Season 11 : Episode 19

Next Episode

TONIGHT AT 9PM

Season 11 : Episode 20

362 Comments
Comments (362)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the god that has been gone for so long will show up, and be pissed. Not that he is unknowing to all that has happened. Of course he knows. He's just pissed that they managed too screw everything up so badly (speaking about angels I mean.) Sam and Dean however, have done nothing but fight for humanity, the same thing every single angel in this series has said it was their mission to protect at some point, and yet have failed almost entirely. Yes Demon dean is a game changer of sorts, I'm sure Crowley has a agenda for him. Who wouldn't? We forget that dean isn't just any demon, he's a knight. Which means, the only thing that can kill him. Is him. Other than curing him, which the only way too stop a knight other than killing them is too put a devil trap bullet. Honestly, I'm excited too see where things go. But Sam has been good for a long time, Dean has always been on a selfish spiral that he can't let his family die. Even if they want it too be their time. I'm not mad he brought Sam back. But like Sam said, Dean did it for Dean. Because Dean needs Sam too feel good. I love Dean to death, but I'm not unknowing to his character flaws. Dean is a shoot first questions later kind of guy. Black and white, if it looks evil it is. Sam sees the world in a different light because he HAS been the bad one looking for redemption. Lets not forget, Sam may have finished the starting of the apocolypse, But Dean started it. Now as for Demon Dean. Dean in the end is becoming what he most feared he would. And that is no one else fault but his his own. In the end, I'm excited too see what all happens.
More+
Flag
So another finale that ends with one of the winchester being dammed or dead, so the next season can start with the other brother making a big sacrifice to save him?
It looks like writers cant think of anything else to finish a season, either kill one of them for good or stop messing with this rewritable finales.
I hope you fans dont get offended by this, but dean with demon eyes is not new, i just hope season 10 brings something new, or gets back to how it was in first 2 season, all about hunting evil "the family bussines".
Flag
I loved the finale and I also loved season 9 and I don't care what ppl say spn still rocks ! And I was shocked to see a demon dean. I loved that idea btw. I disagree with Maryann sleasman for most of the reviews but whatever. I still enjoyed all the seasons of spn and I can't wat for season 10!
Flag
Ok, when I saw Dean's black demonic eyes it was all I could do not to scream. But... they can cure demons. They have done it before, this is kind of a no-brainer. I'm sure they will come up with some reason that they can't, but still, the solution is pretty obvious.
Flag
I never could understand the Dean=Good, Sam=Bad vibe. Every time you look around Dean is guzzling beer, noshing beef, and chasing women. He has an explosive temper with a black and white attitude. He never has an atta-boy for Sam and he comes down hard every time Sam goes even the tiniest bit out of line. Those are not traits of a good man.

Sam, on the other hand, would rather date than notch his bedstead; eats like he'd like to live past 50; and is always trying to please his brother. Whenever Sam leaves anything out of his narrative to Dean, his dear ol' bro stomps on him for lying to him. Sam looks for the humanity in the monster while Dean insists there is no humanity in monsters and blows them all away. He even comes back and takes care of the ones Sam has helped rehabilitate. Sam sounds like a great guy.

So why again is Sam the bad guy (but he likes dogs and wouldn't hurt a hair of a changling baby) while Dean is the good guy (who makes friends with the hunter who decides to off Sam)
Flag
I disagree with you! Plus Sam did sleep with a demon chick so maybe that's were the Sam-bad comes from. And dean doesn't smoke. And nothin wrong with dean having one night stands. Dean is not a bad guy or Sam either. They are both good guys even tho dean is more awesome:)
Flag
not to insult you but those are all pretty superficial reasons....the kind of stuff people say about serial killers in their neighborhood. Neither person is without flaws but Sam has made the most bullheaded decisions that have endangered the world. Dean smoking, drinking and screwing like a champ hurt no one but Dean and some ladies along the way. Sam didnt rehabilitate that lady either she had just recently killed someone. I'm assuming you are some denomination of christian because your qualifications of what defines someone as good or bad seem based off of some imposed morality for others. Sam has constantly made terrible decisions.
Flag
I agree but dean doesn't smoke. And sure he drinks and sleeps around but it's nothing wrong with that. But no matter what dean is awesome.
Flag
Time to add fuel to the fire...

Dean is a hypocrite when he demands that they are honest with each other. Sam makes some small lies here & there, Dean blows up like he just released Satan again. But when it's Dean's turn to tell the truth, Sam RIGHTFULLY gets pissed off, but instead Dean once bashes him in about the past...
Dean blames Sam for things he has no control over. Last I checked, it was Azazel who pretty much destroyed their entire family, but nope Dean blames Sam. They were in agreement that Lilith has to die, but when Dean finally finds out that Ruby IS using Sam to kill Lilith to release Satan - something that Sam was COMPLETELY unaware of, but nope lets not blame Lilith, or Ruby, or The Angels that WANTED & PLANNED for the Satan to be released, lets lay it all on Sam. Then, Sam literally sacrifices himself to play as a punching bag for Michael & Satan in a more Hellish place than Dean was in.
Then after getting out the cage, then getting his soul back, then Sam makes another mistake that Dean blows up yet again about - Dean decides, "I'll remind Sam about how he was fooled by Ruby, and that I STILL blame him for it."

And now its finally Dean's turn to be bad, although I guess everything was forgiven when Dean tortured souls in Hell, which bring me to correct some people - Sam wasn't the only one tricked by a Demon, and sure he did break the last Seal, but Dean broke the first Seal, but yeah lets forget about that.

They have BOTH made some HUGE mistakes, they have both lied to each other, but which one remembers the mistakes of the other brother more... That would be Dean. Lets not forget, Gadreel makes a deal with Dean to take over Sam body - the result: Kevin dies by Gadreel using Sam's body, an though it was more Dean's fault, Sam feels greater guilt.
Then we finally see Cain, but who better to take up the mantle, lets give it to Dean, it's his turn to be in Sam's position (Power Hungry, Need to Kill, and more explosive than ever) when the darkside was coming around (Demon blood).

And now Dean has become the very thing that he hates the most, a demon. But honestly, I don't think Crowley should play with him - remember that Cain MADE the Knights of Hell who are MUCH stronger than Crowley's demonkind, and now Dean has pretty much become Cain's equal.
If Crowley plans on using him, Dean will inevitably become just like Abaddon an then Dean will undoubtedly finish where Abaddon left off at - Crowley dead. But there's another possibility, Crowley doesn't forget friends, an thanks to his "junkie" side he's become less ruthless an more friendly, so chances are, he might not try to change him at all - though he was cheering for Dean as he stabbed Abaddon, it was pretty clear that Crowley was pretty blown away (in a shocking sense) at how much Dean had changed when Sam & Crowley witnessed Dean turn Abaddon's head into bloody mush.

Here's what I hope: Dean looks for God, then does what Death was going to do - Kill him. Cause seriously, with all the ridiculous crap that's been going on, what has he been doing all this time? I know Dean would be happy as hell to do it, an I doubt Cas would stop him since SO FRICKING MANY angels have died all because he decided to go on a vacation...
That's honestly what I hope for - Dean & Sam for all their hard work & ridiculous sacrifices, and NUMEROUS heroics, they are rewarded with the option to LITERALLY stick it to THE MAN.
More +
Flag
at best his good intentions have constantly turned out to be not only wrong but damaging. They have not been "general" bad as in sleeping with loose women and alcoholism to cope with your issues....Sam stands up and says to everyone that he knows whats best and runs in brashly...which you think is heroic or something...and he is ALWAYS wrong....the entire show. Name one choice between choosing good or evil...or doing what other good and evil characters say and Sam has always chosen the evil side(even when he thinks he can double cros the evil he has been wrong...Satan told them what would happen and Sam still insisted on going, sure that he could overpower Lucifer...wrong again....Benny, wrong again and got the other hunter killed.....what has Sam ever done but be the drama of the show..OK Dean and every other hunter drink and has psycho-social problems....Sam Winchester has ruined the world and life for everyone around him multiple times...Dean has made a deal that would have killed only him...started torturing souls in hell cause, guess what, not expecting to ever leave and that was purely plot since how in the history of the world has no other "righteous man said yes to getting of the hooks"....and finely Dean was wrong about letting Gadriel in...the score card just doesnt add up unless you are a christian and count Dean's sexual exploits and neediness with his brother as him doing something wrong
More +
Flag
you can't constantly choose a bad boyfriend over your family or a drug addiction in the early stages and expect people to say oh it was the dealer's fault... or they didn't know they would end up an addict....SAM constantly CHOSE, willingly chose, to do the wrong thing....Angles, when he still believed in them as good, told him to stop drinking demon blood, Dean begged him and trusted him around every corner...Sam Winchester is a liar and hypocrite almost the entirety of the show.
Flag
small lies that invlove drinking demon blood.....small lies that get people killed, small lies that release satan on earth....small lies huh? You are being delusional to back Sam. I'm not picking a Winchester. I'm saying that Sam Winchester is and has always been damn near the anti christ and self righteous the entire time
Flag
When is it coming back on does anyone know? I know that they're still writing it from what I read!
Flag
I think a lot of us saw the Dean is a demon happening a while ago. And it's probably going to be interesting. I don't see that Sam needs to complete the trials to cure Dean. It's assumed Gadreel fixed whatever changes happened from the previous trials, so there should be no closing of hell. Which is good, because the people that end up in hell would make some nasty ghosts. I don't get why Sam is calling for Crowley instead of Cas. We've already seen him bring people back to life. He has a whole garrison of angels. Surely someone has enough angel juice to fix Dean.

I think Supernatural has to end but there are a few loose ends I'd like tied up before it does. I want to know what happened to Chuck. Also, the antichrist kid. And I think Adam. Although what shape he'd be in, I have no idea. I feel like to end properly, all the heaven and hell stuff needs to be resolved. It's supposed to be hard to get out of hell. That needs to be a thing again, instead of Crowley popping back and forth as he likes. The angels need a big boss. Maybe bring back Gabriel, or even Michael, someone to get them all back on track who isn't going to try and be God. Maybe the Winchsters get so sick of the rubbish they pull the plug, open the box and let the Angels sort out the mess. I think its telling that all my ideas go back to season 5 stuff.
More+
Flag
Season 5 was one of the better ones. Well except for the ending.... But yeah, there are a few loose ends they kind of forgot about. I mean, Adam and Michael are in the Pit, literally dealing with the worst pain ever possible and no one seems to remember! Oh, and they probably didn't call Cas because his "grace" is all messed up. I forget if the Winchesters know about that, though.
Flag
I've had a feeling for a while now that the show is going to end with an epic plot twist and God will return to heaven and resolve everything and will explain where he has been this whole time.

I also have a feeling that the series will end with Dean dying. Not sure why I feel this way, just a gut feeling I guess.
Flag
If anyone's going to lead Heaven, it's going to be Cas. I think if they're going to end this arc on season 10 they will have to wrap up his character :( Perhaps they will have Chuck come back as he is God and give Cas his wings back. It would be nice to see Gabriel again at some point though. Adam is done I think, he went down to Hell and I think they will leave it at that though I'd like to see a nice end for him too. Curing Dean won't end the trials, I think you're right in that Gadriel ended that by healing Sam. But curing Dean could still hurt Sam and I hope they don't go down that road as I'm kind of sick of seeing Sam get hurt all the time at the expense of a selfish man who doesn't let people make their own choices. Maybe Sam will feed him his blood to make him Crowley-human for a bit and we'll see soulless Dean for quite a while, would be interesting but I think it's going to be very sad to watch I think :(
Flag
If this is going to be the last season you know it's going to hurt. I don't know about Cas leading heaven though. I like Cas better as an angel, but after everything that's happened I don't see him being able to give up earth or Sam and Dean. But the angels can't keep being a factor on earth, or it will never end. It used to be they weren't allowed to take vessels they just chilled in heaven. So I think it needs to go back to that. Cas wants to fix everything, it's why he did badly last time. And yeh, I'm not worried about Dean. We'll get him back fairly quickly I think, it's just going to be about getting rid of the mark. I feel like leaving Adam was too easy for them. Dean has a choice, he saved sam, and then no one really mentioned Adam again, not even when Sam was going crazy. I feel like it's an issue that needs to be addressed. Maybe make him a demon. Lucifer would have liked trying to turn him against Michael.
Flag
I agree, I liked Adam and thought that they just abandoned the character far too easily. We already have demon Dean now and it's possible the actor is just busy and can't come on the show again. But it does add weight to the very specific bond that Sam and Dean have: that they would literally leave anyone to the wolves to save each other. I actually started to notice watching seasons 7 and 8 over again how controlling Dean is over Sam. I mean, it's borderline abusive, always putting him down, never thinking he's capable of anything. It's why Sam can't let him go, it's a kind of twisted need for his control. Cas and Dean are quite similar in that they think everything is their responsibility to fix but I think Cas is different in that he can see his mistakes and learn from them whereas Dean can't. Cas could eventually realise that his time with the boys is done although I wouldn't want him to go! Would be interesting if demon Dean actually turned against Crowley and tried to take over Hell, Cas ruling Heaven and Dean ruling Hell, Sam ruling Men of Letters dungeon stuff! Could be interesting!! :)
More +
Flag
My wishlist?....for there to be a s11 and so on, but thats not realistic. There will be a final one, and thats that. Just one question tho...is God going to show up for once? Or should I say the God...the one that left the Angels in heaven? The one that has such an amount of power that all this fighting and demon stuff doesn't really matter. The one we (most of us) pray to? The one that knows how all this will turn out...good luck Sam and Dean!
Flag
I don't get it. Cas gave up his angel army because he wouldn't kill Dean. And yet, after he hears from Metatron that Dean is dead, he doesn't race off to try to save Dean once Metatron is behind bars?? And Sam is summoning Crowley instead of calling for Cas and some angel assistance? And after years of saying they want Crowley dead they inexpicably let him go the other week? I have been watching since episode one, but I've gotten discouraged by all of these things that go against the basic continuity of the characters.
Flag
When i saw bloodlines i was hoping the winchester will say at the end "we've been centered on angels for too long and let places get overcrowded with evil things", but they went just "ahhh well send other hunters to help" like we have seen other hunters since uhmmm,...cant even remember.
Flag
Yeh, we haven't seen other hunters for ages! But I reckon they just kind of know of Sam and Dean, when they call, they will be there. Much like when Sam had his breakdown, they called some random hunters off of Bobby's list. :)
Flag
Yeh, it would have made more sense to call Cas but I think he knew Cas couldn't bring him back. Sam keeps saying we have to kill Crowley but I think he's more attached to him than even he knows. I reckon this will be the shove he needs to end Crowley for what he's done to Dean but I think Crowley will manipulate Sam into thinking Dean will be better with Crowley around. Cas knew Dean was dead already so there wasn't much he could do, no doubt the next season will see him go straight to the bunker, he still has a 'big picture' mentality in some ways as much as he likes to think he doesn't I reckon! :)
Flag
Dean died and I actually cried, when metatron slid the angel blade into him ......... he's died before but for some reason this time it just felt final and it hit me and then BOOM HES A DEAMON, DEAN IS A FREAKING DEMONNNNN AHHHHHHHHHH YESSSSSSSSSS :). When this happend I too was screaming like a crazy person and my brother who was in the other room thought I had hurt myself and was in danger or something, and then he turned and saw DEANS beautiful DEAMON face he just turned around, walked away and laughed. I'm going to miss Gadriel I was hoping they could have explored his character alittle more. Metatron should have died, an angle blade to the scull would have been fitting. I can't wait to see where they take every thing that happend.
Flag
So Dean is a demon, awesome by the way!!!!
But he is not possessed, isn't he? His soul is transformed into a demon?
So he should still be himself, right? Maybe struggling with an evil side but still Dean?
Next season seems promissing :).
Flag
I was sort of waiting for dean to wake up as a demon due to the fact that Cain was a demon so it wasn't a massive shock but it was sort of a massive shock to just see dean actually be a demon after everything he went through before going to hell and in hell. I'm kind of glad they made him the bad guy for a change as Sam really never was bad, they just write him as some sort of evil guy. I can't be dealing with Dean as a demon, it's too sad. The People's Choice award comment was quite funny, they always win those don't they?! They deserve better lol! I was quite shocked at Sam trying to bring him back, he left him in purgatory for godsake, but that was just terrible writing, almost like they brought in a stand in writer who didn't know anything about the characters. They will not bring back Lucifer and Michael and they won't regurgitate old plot points, the next season is about dean and sam as the show always has been. its about the serious issues the two of them have. I doubt they will resolve them, they're just too far gone. I think the boys will live together and die together. Sam will no doubt cure dean at his own expense at which dean will kill himself to be with him. then they will go to that big fake heaven upstairs and maybe find mum and dad. The end lol!
More+
Flag
interesting...........Dean is a demon. Is that purely from the influence of the Mark of Cain and the First Blade? is it from his time in hell and getting off the rack to torture innocent souls? Is it a combination of both? Looks like there are potentially some good episodes to be had out of Demon Dean.

What wasn't all that surprising really though was Sam going back on his 'I wouldn't have saved you' stance that he took after discovering he'd been hijacked by an angel for half the season. Dean dies in his arms and instead of doing what he said he would (presumably a Dean BBQ with lots of salt) he takes Deans body back to HQ and immediately tries to summon Crowley!!! What I didn't get about that is that Crowley was there anyway. I thought way back when they discovered the place it was Demon and Angel proof so how did Crowley get in without being summoned first.

This season has been a mixed bag, I really liked the first half but then it fell back on the tired and over used brothers hiding secrets/separating then coming back together without really resolving anything at all. Before Dean knocked Sam out cold Sam even said to Dean lets get on with is before we find something else to fight about. I gave a good chunk of the back nine a miss but thanks to the ace reviews didn't miss anything at all.

I look forwards to season 10 and Demon Dean. Here's hoping they don't go down the route of Soulless Sam of season 6. Crowley is proof that Demons can be fun as well as deadly and I was really glad to read he has been promoted to season regular in the coming year. I am glad Abbie is gone and Metatron has been taken care of. Can Sam save Dean without making yet another stupid deal? Can he manage to save the world on his own and not resort to emo angsty bullshit?? Can he help Castiel and restore his grace and prevent the angel from dying? Will the writers avoid another time jump that pretty much makes a mockery out of the previous seasons final episode?
More+
Flag
I have a feeling Michael and Lucifer are going to be involved somehow. They can't stay locked up forever.
Flag
This is my hope, and the return of Adam.
Flag
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WWFz_nErbzE

Dean meets Michael . Dean finds out that Sam ad he are decedents of Cain and Able .
Flag
I wanted Gadreel to survive. He finally got the right idea, angels missions are humans. Also, I want Sam to cure Dean and I want GOD to appear in the end to promise salvation for the boys and their parents, who are still in an undisclosed location.
Flag
"offer salvation." As a religious person i really want people to stop trying to push stuff from actual religion in here....in the world of supernatural what "salvation" are you talking about. There are plenty in heaven on the show that weren't "believers" in whatever you believe, heck pam was there and she was practically a witch..etc etc the rules of this show dont apply to your religion. I do want resolution to where John and Mary are but techinically Mary's spirit was destroyed in season 1 at the old house and John is in Hell. Ash couldnt find em in heaven at all which confirms this if they cant get the actors back and i doubt jeffrey dean morgan will be coming back. Hope i'm wrong. God story line but it's been stated Chuck is God. Many storylines are resolved, you just may not like the answer
Flag
It has not been stated that Chuck is God. (I personally think he is Jesus, based in the fact that he was talking with "Magda" on the phone). And John is not in hell, IIRC. The boys freed him, but Ash couldn't find him in Heaven. So perhaps they are in purgatory.
I don't care for real religion when talking about Supernatural. I just meant that in the storyline, God is long due.
Flag
right i forgot john was freed
Flag
Kripke stated that Chuck was God. not sure where the link is but just google it
Flag
Ah, thanks! I don't know what he said, I meant Chuck has not been stated as God in the show.
Flag
God is the key here. Absolutely right Copioli. How do Sam and Dean tie up with God ??? What was Gods plan for them ? Do Sam and Dean represent Michael and Lucifer, Cain and Able ? After all, they are direct descendants of Cain and Able. What is Gods purpose to leave heaven and let everything rest on the shoulders of Sam and Dean ? If season 10 is the last season, this is where I hope season 10 will take us.
Flag
oh and on second thought i liked gadreel's redemption arc; though i would have liked him to survive to enjoy the second chance...........

Flag
oh wow!!!! really!!! the show went there!!! dean is a demon!!! this feels like coming a full circle back to the beginning. and if season 10 is the last one, what a premise to build on and to say goodbye to..............
Flag
Yes, it's about time Dean went bad! For real bad, not just the alcoholism and promiscuity. And finally time for Sam to be good and not plagued by something. And finally get to finish that cure-the-demon spell. I'm excited!

Regarding the stand alone episodes, I would love to see Sam and Dean in a 1408-type situation, where the evil is harder to pin down, and genuinely scary. Maybe get away from creature-feature standards that are so hard to write a new twist on.
Flag
That actually sounds brilliant, like trapped in a house no way out and all sorts of scary jump moments like there used to be in the first couple of seasons! Remember 'Everybody Loves a Clown' godalmighty, I had nightmares lol! or maybe even sam trapped with dean the demon that would be cool as well The stand alone eps are great sometimes, I enjoy the humour as it's nice to get away from all the sad drama sometimes!
Flag
Also cas should steal medatron's grace.
Flag
Has anyone thought that dean promised Cain he would return to kill him once he asked. I just wonder when dean kills Cain if he is somehow returned to a human. If Cain in dead the mark might vanish reversing the whole process turning dean human again.
Flag
Finales Best to Worse: (favorite to least)
4: Just an overall perfect episode. Suspenseful as hell. DIE RUBY
5: The final 10 minutes or so. Funny, Heart Felt, Sad. Chuck's final appearance.
8: ALL the church scenes, the brotherly reassurance, the Angels falling. Great visuals.
9: I really liked this episode. Had all the best things: character deaths, redemption story in Gadreel, the boys replenishing their bond, and of course, the damn heart breaking tears and dean's demon transformation.
2: All Hell Breaks Loose. Literally. Sam dies, Dean makes his deal. Hell Gate is opened, and is the last time we see John. Azazel's death.
3: Dean being dragged to hell. End of Ruby 1.0
1: Sam choosing not to shoot his dad who was possessed by Yellow Eyes. Great stuff. The car accident. A very non supernatural cliffhanger that worked well for the next season premiere.
6: Castiel ingulfs the monster souls from Purgatory and the Leviathans, becomes "God."
7: The weakest finale IMO, Impala returns, via Meg, Dick dies, and sent Dean to Purgatory. It was just a bit lackluster for me. Peace, Bobby.
Flag
Unfortunately, I stopped understanding the show since the end of season 5. I held on until some episodes in season 9, but it's not for me anymore! It's just to tiring to watch :(
Flag
why are u still looking on SPN sites go watch something else and keep your negative attitude to yourself

Flag
Uummmm because a forum exists to DISCUSS. It's not negative attitude, it's MY OPINION. You're free to discuss with me and give me your point of view on this series, that I loved very much. I'm sorry if me expressing my sadness hurt your feelings.
Flag
why would anyone discuss anything with you....you clearly just stop here to be negative..
Flag
Or you could have asked why I would think that. Instead, after so many days, you stop here to argue. Now, would you be so kind to tell me why you don't agree with me when I say this series has been ruined?
Flag
Good finale and good review. I preferred season 8's finale, I was more impressed. I also preferred season 8 as a whole. But season 9 was alright and I don't want the show to end with its tenth season. As long as it's entertaining, it should go on.
Flag
Supernatural was losing what it was, but with this, I think it will be more. If Dean would just came back alive, that would been cliche and expected, but this way supernatural has crossed in to new teritory.
Flag
end of season 10, they both go out in a blaze of glory. That's the only way this show can end, Winchester brothers fighting together, keeping all the rest of us safe. How we get there from here? Looking forward to watching!
Flag
mmmmmkay I'm not complaining, really.
Flag
For that brief moment when familiar tones of "Carry On My Wayward Son" resound strongly across the space, I relive all the glory days of Supernatural and look upon the missteps with a more merciful eye. Alas, such magic of the Kansas theme song cannot last.

It wasn't a very exciting finale, but it was one which went somewhere relatively/potentially new towards the end. They got rid off Gadreel through a suicidal redemption act, made Sam be so bloody useless that I almost cried with hopelesness, and allowed Metatron to become even more annoying/pathetic in his "I want to be adored & loved" ways. Has there ever been a sadder excuse of a villain in the history of the show? Because as much as I hated whatever Leviathans had turned out to be, Dick Roman wasn't a joke.
At least it was Castiel and not the Winchesters who got to deal with the self-appointed God, for a change. Even though the manner in which this would be achieved couldn't have been telegraphed in a less obvious way: introduce a device tuned to angel frequency at the start of the episode to assist Metatron, use the device at the end of the episode against Metatron. And my, those God tablets are awfully fragile. So much for that part of the plot.

It's ironic how Supernatural has reached the point (a good while ago, arguably) where a major character death/serious threat to life merely elicits a grumpy: "alright, alright, just get it over with and bring them back one way or another" from many long-time viewers. I was just waiting for Sam to go ahead and do what he had sworn he wouldn't: find some way to resurrect Dean. Or if not Sam, then some deus ex machina move to make it happen anyway.

Dean as a demon opens up an interesting direction for the show to explore, but a lot is going to depend on how exactly the showrunners decide to handle that. If they go for a total memory loss and a complete change of personality, then I don't even want to be there to witness that. If they go for an obedient little soldier who is forced to perform acts of evil against his will, then I'm not looking forward to that either. If they continue with the Mark of Cain storyline and an ongoing struggle, now empowered by Dean's new condition, then it could be captivating. But he has to keep his wits about him (the way Crowley addressed him, I'm definitely expecting something in the vein of Cain). I don't want to watch half a season of "Dean is not himself in the slightest" . Been there, done that. Along with Sam.
And hey, perhaps Sam will just whip up a miracle cure in the first episode of season 10.

And as for the season 9 as a whole, it was certainly the second worst in my book (it's not like anything can beat the awfulness of season 7). The second half of Season 8 gave me a lot of hope (especially the finale with that amazing scene of falling angels), yet unfortunately season 9 spent most of the time squandering it all. Metatron was a bore, Sam's angel possession played out in a cringe-worthy way, Castiel had some good growth, Sherif Mills survived another season, Kevin will be missed, Abaddon's potential wasn't fully utilized but Cain was terrific, and above all - the huge angels landing on the earth plot amounted to absolutely nothing. Just a bunch of clueless, dumb brats.

I'll be there for season 10 and beyond, hoping against hope for a potential return to consistent, adamant quality. Makes me wonder whether there is any chance for Kripke and Edlund to hop back on the show, now that Revolution is gone for good. Kripke had detached himself a good while back, but for Edlund it's just been one season of absence... Come back Ben, Supernatural desperately needs its core writers!
More+
Flag
I rewatched 'Dream a little of me' from Season 3, where there is a demon!Dean and I listened carefully to watch Demon!Dean said.

Apparently, Demon dean is quite vicious and cold. He doesn't care about the father, he seems not to care about Sam, he seems very, very EVIL... And he said 'This is what you're going to become!" it freaked me out a bit.

When Dean killed DemonDean, the Demon woke up with black eyes.
When Dean died, he woke up with black eyes...
Flag
Game of Thrones is indeed complicated, Dean. But why is shower sex? I demand details!
Flag
haha. that was a good line
Flag
I was thinking. Better a demon than a Jefferson Starship. What? These monsters exist in the show, you know.
Flag
After a lackluster season this was a nice ending for the boys. They seemed to get over their issues finally.

Crowley's demonlogue at the end was very nice. I didn't believe in miracles until you didn't eat that cheeseburger. That made me CHUCKle. I think Dean becoming a demon is a good thing for the show. An interesting twist, if you can call it that since Dean there's no happy ending for Dean. Even if Sam can't cure Dean, there is still hope. LassieCain managed to find redemption in a woman. Lisa?

Supernatural lore requires that Dean's face get pummeled by an angel in a season finale every 4-5 years.

Now that Boogertron is in a cell, will Cas resume his leadership role? Apparently the angels can get to heaven now, maybe the souls can get through too?

I think GadrHelo found redemption at the end.

Looking forward to next season. Be fun to see Dean battle Crowley for the throne.

Flag
PLEASE, no more Lisa or Ben, ever. I honestly think that was worse than Amelia in Season 8, which was really, really bad/pointless.
Flag
bring back Ruby,Meg and especially Ruby now they had good story lines.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Looking back to Episode 17 - Mother's Little Helper where Crowley little experiment on whether Dean will save him from the fake hunter make me realize it's a test of Dean's loyalty which is much needed in the future when he becomes a demon.. I always thought that scene is a bit pointless until now..

And I wonder if Eric Kripke and Ben Edlund will come back to write episodes for Season 10 now that Revolution's cancelled (no offence, Revolution fans..)
Flag
I liked that show but how long can the lights go out,when the little lightning bugs became people thats when I stopped watching and bring people back from the dead.

Flag
I was wondering that too. But I would imagine it would be strange for Kripke to return to the show (in a more hands on roll, as a writer) while Carver is still showrunner. Although why not, right? Maybe they could run it together.
Flag
thanks for upcoming season 10..the show is awesome and unique
Flag
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no no no no !!!! Not dean :( sam is the one who is usually involved in any kind of demonish stuff!!! I kind of expected dean becoming a demon but seeing his eyes turn black and that blade run through him was some of the most horrifying scenes on supernatural . especially because this time he is not possessed !!! Dean's eyes are black and he has officially become a demon . I kind of think that season 10 will all be about sam and cas trying to either heal him or kill him .
Flag
Awesome!! Now if they'll just bring back John and Bobby for at least a few episodes next season. I REALLY want to see JDM again, and the show isn't quite the same without Bobby.
Flag
I want to show GOD already!!!!
Flag
they did and it was chuck
Flag
I want summer to be over now!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
ok ready im gonna rate the supernatural finales from worst to best....cuz im bored and this is what i feel like doing lol: 9. *worst* Season 7....That season had such a promising start the first 3 episodes were awesome but it just fell apart with too much filler crap. And the finale was so anti climatic. 8. Season 8....I call season 8...season ha8te. If theres one season I just did not like its season 8, i had no idea what was the plot for like the first half of the season. And the only person I hated more than Kevin Tran was his mom. But the season finale wasnt bad but compared to the others it just doesnt rate that gre8at. Haha. 7. Season 6......This isnt a bad season finale, just compared to the others its low on the list. What many people dont realize is that Kripke actually wrote this one which is why its pretty damn good. I love Cas becoming "god" and Sam going nuts. 6. Season 1......It gets hard from here cuz they are all sooo good from here on out. This one leaves such a cliffhanger once the impala gets hit by the truck with sam dean and john in it. But once again compared to the others higher on this list it just doesnt compare. 5. Season 2......Makes me cry every time when Sam dies and Dean sells his soul to bring him back. But they finally kill yellow eyes in such an awesome showdown, but they release all the demons into the world so as always its never a total victory for them. Oh and Dean has a year before he goes to hell. 4. Season 9......Its only been a couple days since it happened but all I keep thinking about is Dean opening his eyes to reveal two black craters. Even after seeing Dean die so many times it breaks my heart when Metatron stabs him. Season 10 is gonna be nuts. 3. Season 4......Oh what a finale.....Poor Sam thinking hes doing the right thing and drinking the demon blood and killing Lilith and it turns out he kicks off the apocalypse. Its heartbreaking when Dean busts in kills Ruby and Sam looks at him and says "I'm sorry" and then all hell breaks loose....literally. 2. Season 3.....Season 3 is a strange season....it might be the weakest of the first 5 but its still amazing. But Dean having hours left before he goes to hell and he and Sam singing "Wanted Dead or Alive" for some reason makes me cry. And then seeing Sam watch his brother get killed by the hellhound just kills me. And then the camera goes into Deans dead eyes and reveals him screaming in agony in hell.....ugh so sad. 1. Season 5.....In all reality this should have been the final show of the series and it wouldve been perfect. The whole episode has this incredibly sad feeling cuz you know whatever happens Sams probably not coming back. I always cry everytime they get to the end and Sam remembers all the memories with Dean and then jumps into the pit. Probably the best episode of the entire series and the most emotional.
More+
Flag
This is pretty much how I would rate the season finales, with three exceptions; i wouldn't rate 9 and 3 as high (probably have 9 as 6 and 3 as 5) and I would have 8 above 6.
Flag
Season 5's finale was extremely well written... until the end. Killing Cas and Bobby and resurrecting them minutes later as well as reviving Sam in the very last shot seemed to cheapen the seriousness of Lucifer's threat and Sam's sacrifice. The original script actually had the three STAY dead, since it was supposed to be the series finale, and Dean would quit hunting forever and live a happy life with Lisa and Ben, but the last minute renewal was so unexpected that the writers had to scramble to redo the ending and did a deus ex machina revival with "God did it" being the only explanaition.

My own season finale rankings would be:

Season 7- underwhelming end boss fight
Season 6- Too much Sam vs Sam, not enough main plot
Season 9 - First time Dean tries to do everything himself... and loses. Pretty dull episode but the last shot made up for much of it.
Season 8- The fall of Crowley was ok but boring and Abaddon's appearance was unnecessary. Loved the falling angels scene, though.
Season 3- Child Lilith was awesomely done but too much melodrama
Season 5- Great episode, meh ending
Season 1- LOVE the Jeffery Dean Morgan Azazel.
Season 2- A near perfect episode featuring the only villain death that was suitable.
Season 4- In a word- PERFECT! Excellent tension, great way to take out a Big Bad and replace her with something FAR worse, and Dean's realization that the angels aren't lifting a finger to stop Lucifer from rising is spot on. This was the ultimate finale.
More +
Flag
How do you know that was intended in the original script? Where's your source? From what I read, in the original outline Cas didn't die (lucifer just chucked him at a tree and he fell unconscious), it was something Kripke came up with as he was writing in order to raise the stakes. similar reasons for killing bobby, and commented that although he got "an angelic get-out-of-jail-free card...in the moment of the action, you can't pull your punches. You just have to go for it."
Flag
The Companion Books say that the original script (the series finale) had Bobby and Cas die and Sam sacrificing himself, leaving Dean all alone. THEN the show got renewed and it went from "kill Cas" to "throw Cas onto a tree"... but Kripke wanted to sort of stick to the original deaths because just knocking them out wouldn't make Lucifer-Sam a credible threat. This was, by all intents and purposes, the main villain of the ENTIRE series. If Azazel could kill John Winchester and Lilith could kill Dean, Lucifer-Sam had to kill someone we REALLY cared about. (Ellen and Jo blew themselves up so they didn't count, though that was a sad episode.)

Flag
I'm pretty sure Sam's revival was only inserted once season 6 was confirmed.
Flag
Considering we now know about the First blade and the blood lust it was giving Dean, I'm even more surprised that Dean didn't kill every werewolf and shapeshifter in the Bloodlines episode... certainly would have made that episode more interesting :p
Flag
So I guess this means Dean is essentially a Knight of Hell, and will probably become Crowley's #2. Also, was I the only person bothered by the idea Crowley is able to come and go freely through an area that is supposed to warded against essentially anything and everything? First the angel did it at the end of the last episode, and now Crowley can just walk around...
Flag
Doesn't the Knight of Hell have red eyes? Or was that Crowley?
Flag
Only *Crossroad demons* have red eyes, Crowley was one. Knights of Hell have black, Lilith and Alastair had white, Azazel had yellow.
Flag
All along the season, there was no Big Bad, no big stakes, no big twists,.. This season and particularly this (anticlimatic) finale episode was too much on familiar ground. And the cliffhanger is not a good one for me because we all know Sam will cure Dean next season. I would expect a true game-changing for the tenth season not a rehash of previous storylines (one brother is in jeopardy/going to die! The other will do all it takes to save him!). Come on Supernatural, you can do better!
Flag
Yeah, I'm expecting a lot of same old, same old.

Sam had the chance to be a demon and a souless person, now lets do the same for Dean. That's a real game-changer right there...
Flag
And also this season lacked of comedic or/and conceptual episodes.
Flag
OMG. Demon Dean...wow. I hated Metatron for stabbing Dean....so not cool!
I wonder if Dean is going to wear a suit full-time like other Demons?...I wouldn't mind that ;)
And I hope we get to see God (or Chuck) in Season 10, someone needs to come back and restore order for the Angels and Heaven.
Flag
Wow, the ending to this overall craptastic season 9 was actually pretty freaking awesome. Everyone had the same reaction when Dean died: oh look it's Sam, why is he upset, he's only been here in this EXACT situation 60 times since the pilot, he probably has a cure/spell/Enochian symbol or IPhone app that will snap Dean right out of this. But then as the camera moved in on Dean's face and he opened his eyes, I thought to myself: Holy Crap!! That is freaking awesome! Demon Dean Winchester!

I hope Season 10 is the end and that they wrap this up nicely for everyone.

It will be disappointing if they wrap up the Demon Dean storyline quickly in Season 10. It could really be thread through the entire season to the Finale and lead to an incredible ending to the series, if Dean were to become the new Lucifer.

Maybe it can give us a flip-side view of Supernatural, kind of like the amazing episode "Weekend at Bobby's", but now we can see, from Demon Dean's perspective, the Hell side of things in the Supernatural Universe, instead of it mostly being Crowley's meddling point of view.

Or does Dean, now that he's a Mark of Cain Demon, kill Crowley and inherit his title and role in the series? Pitting him against a mortal Sam, whose only chance at beating Dean is to make a cross-roads deal with his now Demon brother? Though with the way that Crowley was acting, it seemed, at least to him, that he had the upper hand, like maybe he'll have Dean on a leash and he'll be under Crowley's control.

It will be very interesting to see where the story is taken and I'm really looking forward to Season 10, and looking forward to Season 10 being the last season of Supernatural.

More+
Flag
Lol IPhone app:)
Flag
Wow! Loved it!
... Ok, maybe the episode wasn't great but I loved the ending.
Wishlist for season ten:
- Can we always have a Crowley speech at the season finales?
- Lots of DemonDean
- Please develop the souls-can't-get-into-heaven thing. Hunters should be having more ghost cases, I want more Kevin Tran and more ghosts teaming up.
-What about the situation of souls in heaven? I've been wanting to go back there since Dark Side of The Moon.
- It's not gonna happen but can they address Adam? And the antichrist kid who went to Australia and therefore was unable to be found by demons? With all the time jumps he's gotta be a teen now, isn't he?
Flag
All I wanted for supernatural was to make it as long as smallville, so if this last season (which I obviously would miss but be ok with) I would like these few things to happen:

- I want Chuck/God to get a proper ending

- I would like for Sam/Deans father to come back for maybe one episode (god knows everyone else has)

- I would love to see Mark Pellegrino back for an episode

- lastly, in the end I dont want a happy ending, I wanna Sam, Dean, and Castiel go down fighting to the death. I do not want them to die and come back, I want them to finally rest in piece and too know they went down doing what they had to for them and the rest of the world.

Will this happen? Probably not, but hey this would be my ideal ending.
Flag
The parallels between Dean's first blade struggles and Sam's demon blood addiction are strong. I do think it is important to note this one big difference: When Dean went to Sam at the end of season 4 and told him they'd do it together, but he had to leave Ruby behind, Sam chose Ruby. In this episode, we saw a similar situation, where Dean had turned to Crowley and we'd seen earlier in the season when he'd protected Crowley. When they arrived at the trailer and Sam was waiting, Dean faced a similar conflict. In this case though, Dean easily and without reservation chose Sam over Crowley.
Flag
Dont forget about that forged voicemail though, that really did play a part in Lucifer Rising
Flag
True. But, in the hotel room, Sam chose Ruby and then beat the shit out of his brother.
Flag
But Sam had much more time to develop the addiction and he was alone with Ruby.
This time Dean had Sam always nagging him about it. It's a bit different.
Flag
Oh God I really hope next season's the last. I can't take this anymore.

So underwhelmed by it all, i'm even surprised they haven't done that before. General yawn. But i still yelled when Dean died bc cmon. It's Dean and it was particularly horrible. But everything after that, (besides Sam's face
Flag
I still want to know whether Chuck/God will ever return or take a hand in matters. He always seemed to like Castiel considering he sent him back twice.
Flag
If next year is the last season I can just imagine Dean taking over Crowley's job and becoming the new Devil, and somehow Sam winds up as the new God. Of course there's a long way to go for that.
Flag
Yeah...like the whole apocalypse thing that was supposed to happen...except in reverse.

p.s. their half brother is still locked up in the cage...with michael and lucifer.
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members