A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

Supernatural S09E12: "Sharp Teeth"

Everybody ready for your weekly fill of angst and woe courtesy of the Winchesters? GOOD, because here we go:

Garth had been MIA since last season-ish and Dean assumed he just abandoned everyone on their apocalyptic adventure because Dean's brain automatically defaults to betrayal and abandonment when left to its own devices... or even when forced to interact with other brains, as illustrated by his complete and total inability to understand why Sam is pissed about that whole "tricked into being an angel condom" thing. It just does not compute. But you know what? I ain't even mad. I think I'd be angrier if Dean just suddenly understood. As much as I hate watching the Winchesters waffle around their issues and wallow in the same co-dependent bullshit that's been their trademark since 2005, this time around just feels more real than those other times. These wounds have been festering for a long time. This fight isn't about Dean letting Gadreel possess Sam. It's about everything that led Dean to make that decision in the first place. I don't even think Sam is mad at this point. Dude just doesn't know what to do, and Dean doesn't know what he did wrong and it's beautiful and sad and I love it and Supernatural, don't stop (but also don't drag this out until the freaking finale because srsly no one likes when Mommy and Daddy are fighting).

With that said, I'm torn on how to feel about "Sharp Teeth."

It was fine and a little goofy because any episode with Garth is going to be a little goofy. Sam and Dean had words and Sam begrudgingly reclaimed the shotgun seat—so we're moving slowly toward something resembling Winchester reconciliation—and Garth got a happily ever after outside of the hunter life. But Garth's story might just be where things went south for me. It's not that I wasn't happy for him, but we know so little about Garth's past and why he got into hunting, and compared to literally every other hunter we've ever met on this show—Dean and Sam included—Garth was a downright chipper and kid-friendly vampire slayer. The emotional impact of Garth leaving the life was much less than when Sam and Dean each tried retirement. Garth's approach to hunting always felt like something he did rather than something he lived, and so his decision to leave it behind lacked the weight of when more pathological hunters gave it up. 

However, whether retirement sticks or not for Garth is debatable. It's important, I think, to recognize that Garth was willing to try—and maybe even a little excited by the idea of—hunting as a super-powered were-hunter, and it was Dean who encouraged him stay behind with his new family. Plus, "Sharp Teeth" showed us flashes of a darker Garth, one who was initially so ashamed of being turned into a werewolf that he considered suicide to be the only honorable thing to do. One who, despite Dean hoarding all the guilt over Kevin's death for himself, does carry some sense of responsibility for what happened. 

Will Garth Fitzgerald IV find his way back to chopping off heads and making sock puppets? Probably not in any full-time capacity, but the door is certainly open for him to make an appearance either filling a less-curmudgeonly Bobby role (which is where the show seemed to be taking him up until this episode) or, well, you never know, Joy claimed to be the last of the Ragnarok enthusiasts, but Supernatural has never shied away from raining misery on it's cast of friendly monsters (see: Eleanor, Benny, Amy, and probably others I'm blanking on). Werewolf helter skelter may be in Garth's cards yet. Maybe. Or would that be a big eye-roll plot twist? I don't know. I liked him as a hunter, dang it!

The systematic removal of the Winchesters' external support is starting to mimic what happened in Season 7 in its scope: Garth is out of the life, Kevin is dead, Charlie is in Oz, Crowley is looking for the First Blade, Castiel is... around... sometimes... and possibly not at full-power anyway (IT COULD NOT HAVE BEEN AS EASY AS JUST STEALING SOME OTHER ANGEL'S GRACE, OKAY?), and I just hope that Season Fine doesn't end up quite so hopeless and hard to watch with its dwindling supporting cast as Season 7 ultimately did. That was rough.

"The same, but different" seems to be the law of the land for Fine, with the sense that even though we've already gone down many of these roads with the Winchesters and their associates, this time, the stakes are more personal. Not necessarily higher—it's hard to compete with the apocalypse—but in the past, every major brotherly conflict seemed to be handled with a Band-Aid and a shot of whiskey because Dean was going to hell, or Lucifer was on the run, or Eve was... I don't know, that storyline was awful... or the Leviathan were enslaving humanity, or over and over again, something always got in the way of Dean and Sam working out their crap. Now they're in their own way, and the world is still on the brink of ending, and there's no Band-Aid big enough to hide their largely self-inflicted wounds. Sam agreed to get back in the Impala, but pointed out that he and Dean just don't see their roles in the hunt, in the life, as what they once did. 

It's been nine seasons; of course they don't have the same roles. They haven't had the same roles in at least four, but Supernatural has never seemed to be entirely comfortable with its own changes. That is, until now, which means the Winchesters, in theory, shouldn't be far behind. 

CASE NOTES

– Smart Winchester Sighting: Gold star to Dean for NOT lying about the Mark of Cain. Also, justifying working with Crowley with the "better the devil you know" argument. Sad, but true. 

– Okay, a church full of werewolves singing a hymn about "bringing in the sheep" was kind of hilarious in a twisted way.

– OMG Dean, WTF with the adrenalin you crazy person?

– Not that Sam smacking the hospitalized dude—who for all they knew could've had a head injury—was much better. 

– Do you think we'll see Garth again?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

181 Comments
Comments (174)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Garth a Werewolf??? That was funny to watch...
if i was Dean i wouldn't believe either that this would be a pack that just tried to life their lives, without harming anybody..
On the table it was gross...they were all eating raw meat and dean steak was nicely cooked with patatos...that was a funny scene..
Dean and Sam, they really should kick their asses for once and then move on...
I missed Castiel!
Flag
I agree with review in general. I like supporting cast! Keep them around!
And I am so proud of Dean telling the truth about the mark. A very good thing. But lying about the cameras recording Garth? Seriously?
And, as many commenters say, is not "sheep" what they are singing. That would have been so much funnier...
Flag
It's starting to get creepy how quickly and easily dean kills!!
Flag
I would like to start a petition in which forbid the writers from knocking Sam unconscious ever again.
Flag
The hymn is "Bringing in the Sheaves" not "Bringing in the Sheep". I think it is something to do with harvest... Sheep is funnier...
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080815133518AA1Q78Z
Flag
Dean needs to get rid of the stubble. He looks like at any moment he could be laying in a gutter with a bottle of Boones Farm wine.
Flag
Nope, nope. The stubble is a win.
Flag
Even hot Dean with facial hair can't fill the void left with every episode sans Castiel.
Flag
Mark Pellegrino has said he would like to reprise his role as Lucifer at some point. How could that happen if Lucifers in the Cage? Lets go back to the episode "the End" in 2009,,,five years ago. Zachariah sent Dean five years into the future, 2014, to see how things turned out. Right after Lucifer kills 2014 Dean, he says this to 2009 Dean:
"Whatever you do, you will always end up... here. No matter what choices
you make, whatever details you alter, *we* will always end up... here."
If the SPN writers follow up on Lucifers statement, he HAS to return to the show. It would make a pretty good cliff hanger to this season.
Flag
Mark did return as HalLucifer in season 7. I read that it was really the only thing the writers could do to bring him back. Lucifer's original body was pretty much trashed by the time he possessed Sam. Plus, in a way, Lucifer's prediction DID come true. Sam DID say yes in the end and got possessed, except in the alternate reality Sam succumbed to Lucifer alone and Luci had 4 years to take total control of his body, where as in the regular timeline sayng yes was a part of a plan to jump back in the cage and Luci had less than 24 hours to get a shaky grip on Sam's body, a grip that was later cast off completely once Sam saw the army man in the Impala.

I really don't want Lucifer to come back. Season 5 was near perfection, and breaking Luci loose again would only seem like a rehash of season 5. All the characters that wanted Armageddon are dead, and Abaddon seems intent on keeping all of Hell's power to herself. What I WOULD like is to see the Colt come back; other than a flashback episode, that thing hasn't made any other appearances, and I am curious to see what the other 4 beings in the universe are that that thing can't kill. (We already know the Demon Knife is useless against Abbie, so maybe she's immune to the Colt as well?
More +
Flag
Kane the wrestler? LOL
Flag
Now he has to guest star!
Flag
Is it just me or was this episode VERY well directed?
Flag
Dean was smart about coming clean with mark of Cain and whatnot. He has tricked and duped Sam way too much lately.

They were singing Bringing in the "sheaves" not sheep. Although, I do like your version better.

This felt like more of a filler episode to me. I did not like their removing Garth by making him a lycanthrope. Removing Kevin was bad enough. Why do they systematically cull their support characters. I know this is the Dean and Sam show, but dammit they need support. And I liked Bobby, Kevin, Chuck, Charlie etc. . . Granted Charlie only in small doses, but she was cool once or twice a season. Now it is down to Cas and Crowley as their support.

Not my favorite episode, but not the worst either.
Flag
I don't know if I liked the main storyline, but I sure was pleased to see DJ Qualls as Garth. Also the scene where Sam asks about Garth from the receptionist as the skinny Ichabod Crane was hilarious. Sleepy Hollow's likeness to Supernatural has always been pointed out. But Supernatural embracing the show like a lovable cousin and making a good-natured joke out of it was just like classic Supernatural. Also the scene where Dean tries to hide all the evidence from CCTV footage from Sam, and then Sam suddenly coming out of the side of van to grab it was fun to watch. Maybe these moments are what I watch Supernatural for, that and Charlie Bradbury.
Flag
I have this thing with Supernatural, I actually use it to avoid commercial breaks on Wednesdays. So, I start to watch it at 7:45 and then that generally takes me to at least the half hour mark of Arrow. So, suffice to say, I had heard this episode had huge ratings so I had high expectations. Even though, you know, Garth. He's never really been my favorite of the supporting characters and I haven't actually missed him, but I did appreciate him taking some blame, I mean if he hadn't ditched Kevin then Crowley wouldn't have gotten in and driven Kevin nuts and then the boys wouldn't have taken him to the bunker and honestly when Gadreel insisted Cas leave the bunker, he would have likely had the specific direction to go stay with Kevin. But whatever. It was kind of a let down.
Flag
Is this Supernatral's final season? Or will there be a season 10? I don't quite remember
Flag
The show will continue as long as the main actors are still good looking, and willing to do it...
Flag
aw, really?
Flag
The writers said it depends if it keeps the ratings up .
Flag
So where (or who) is God? Will this ever be resolved?
Flag
Ugh... first the kill Bobby, now they wolf up pseudo-Bobby, effectively removing him from the show.

what is it with them needing to keep removing supporting characters? and at what point would the brothers realize that their lives just suck and why bother anymore? they can't have friends, can't have family, pretty much every acquaintance has been killed or turned into a monster and they're reduced to working with the king of hell or sociopathic angels.

I'm at the point when they're trussed up by some big bad threatening to kill them I fully expect them to just say "Just shut up and do it already" except... they'd be resurrected by the next episode...

At what point do they just realize "Nothing we do really even matters... we stop an apocalypse, there's another one.. "

And more importantly, how long can they string the audience out on this non stop buffet of doom and gloom?
Flag
I'll tell u why...

Even though this show is super successful, it has NO BUDGET. Seriously, I love SPN, but the show looks like it costs $100 an episode to produce. It's like literally ketchup packets, and CG...

I wish the CW invested more money into this show!!!
Flag
This was the first episode I was actually thinking that... for werewolves we got Lee Press-On Nails, a $5 set of plastic fangs and yellow contacts. Even MTV's Teen Wolf, which has basically stated it couldn't afford CGI Werewolves outside of the pilot, puts more into their wolves sometimes than this.

Maybe most of the budget is going to Jensen and Jared now?
Flag
I do have a complaint about the episode: My issue is the mythology behind werewolves. It is constantly changing. The strongest werewolf episode was with Madison. She, nor her attacker, remembered anything when they turned. How is Garth supposed to be able to control it if he's not him? Also, they were changing whenever they wanted, especially when angry. When did this turn into Teen Wolf? They are only supposed to turn on the full moon and the day before and after. I know that Eve threw everything out of whack, but this too going too far.
Flag
I thought it was like TW too! XD
Flag
If it was Teen Wolf it would have actually been a better episode. :-( This was a complete paint-by-numbers filler episode that was incredibly predictable from our first flash-a-badge scene to the inevitable reveal that all was not as it seems to one hero getting caught to the villain yammering endlessly just to buy time for the other brother to show up and dispatch the big bad to the final talk by the car.
Flag
I caught that one too, Melody. I've tried to ration it out this way: the werewolves in this pack were mostly born werewolves. I'm assuming that born werewolves have a direct bloodline to an alpha and therefore greater powers. Perhaps they remember their transformation time, and can exercise some degree of control when wolfed out. Normally "bittens" like Madison can't, but those bitten by a born werewolf can.
Flag
I've gotta give it up to Dean, the man is beast. Last week he took out three demons in an awesome fight and this week four werewolves gone in a night. WOW! Impressive.
Flag
I feel a bit let down by this episode. I understand that the show can't sustain the brothers to be apart for long but unless they have a talk that is more then just a closing not-so-warm-and-fuzzy moment this will turn into just the same rehashing of if we ignore it long enough, it may go away. At least Sam doesn't seem to be willing to do it again. It's kinda sad that Dean isn't able to see what is wrong with them. In a way I blame John. And I really hope they at least begin to fix what has been breaking between them repeatedly for so long.
Flag
I was hoping the Maw of Fenris would some how be tied in with the first blade (i.e. The first blade BEING the maw (jaw) of Fenrir) would be sweet and a good way to weave the season's mythos throughout the standalone episodes as well. Ah well, just another dull filler ep i guess.
Flag
I was hoping it would tie in or call back to the season five episode where they met a bunch of different gods, including I thought Norse ones, because Ragnarok coming up again should have made them think of it. Minor continuity issue with that. I felt cheated for being involved in the show's mythology for so long to see it dropped. (also a fan of Norse mythology!) Ep was called Hammer of the Gods, and Loki is a big Norse god, so I thought it would resonate further.
Flag
That's assuming it's over. I like the idea behind the mythology and if the writers do as well, we'll see it again.
Flag
unless Disney has everything to do with Thor under copywrite now, then that mythology has to go bye-bye, along with Tom Hiddleston as Loki.
Flag
I liked him as a hunter too! He proved that you don't have to be big and buff to be a hunter. I'll miss him and hope to see him again but at least the writers showed some restraint in not killing him. With Garth, Charlie and Kevin gone/dead, who the hell are the boys suppose to rely on for help (besides Cas and Crowley)?
Flag
Ok I need hot pockets and Xena tapes......
Flag
hehe, The Core reference FTW!
Flag
Garth episodes were always enjoyable (or at least watchable, since his introduction had Becky in it, and I HATE Becky) but this one... not so much. It lacked the humor that Garth stories are known for and, if anything, made him even MORE incompetent than he already is. I thought that, as a werewolf who's married, he'd at least be able to break the ropes that tied him up and attack the baddie-of-the-week. I was expecting him to get knocked out in one hit (like he usually does) but we don't even get that. And Garth's speech about how he felt partially responsible for Kevin's death and how Kevin was his friend seemed forced given that Garth and Kevin had NO scenes together. Not one.

As for the rest of it, having more "Sam and Dean are on the outs but need to work together on a job and kind of make up at the end" just made the entire episode seem like a rehash of "The Mentalists." Except the Mentalists had a pretty intense climax, whereas this was... a bit dull. And really, this "I dn't trust my brother but I'll work with him anyway" has been going on snce season TWO... haven't we done this to death already?

Finally, the monsters of the week being a werewolf cult that worshiped the demon wolf Fenris was a nice spin on the werewolf lore, but it seemed, once again, a little too ambitious. Werewolves start armageddon HOW? And, if I know my Norse mythology, Odin is supposed to fight Fenris and die, and he's been dead for years thanks to Lucifer. No Fenris fight, no Ragnarok. It was a little convoluted. I wish they could've just had a rouge werewolf instead of werewolves bent on world domination.

I give this episode a 4 out of 10. Nice seeing Garth,and better that he didn't die, but he was REALLY unfunny this episode, and most Garth episodes are comedic gold.
More+
Flag
pretty sure they were singing bringing in the sheaves. As is wheat. Gospel hymnal.
Flag
They were most definitely singing "Bringing in the Sheaves," which is about the celebration of a (metaphorical) harvest. I think it's based off of one of the Psalms. How come closed captioning didn't say that?
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
They are calling it Tribes, and the werewolves could be a cool tribe to have. Unfortunately, DJ Qualls has a full time gig on TV, so he can't headline the new series. But nothing is stopping him from stopping by.
Flag
Didn't like it! Liked that they addressed what happened to Garth and that's about it.
Flag
Just read this is the most watched SN episode in 3.5 years. Thank you Mr. Obama.
Flag
Did no one else notice the Rev. was also the father in Season 1's "Scarecrow?" That bothers me. There should be enough actors to fill that role. Threw my off the whole episode.
Flag
ARGH! I knew he looked familiar but I couldn't place it! You're right. Shouldn't be a need to rehash old extras.
Flag
Were there any actual werewolves in this episode? Or just people with claws, fangs and bug-eyes?
Flag
Honestly, I miss the 'earlier' werewolves in the other seasons... Where they changed at night and not at will. But technically, Supernatural werewolves aren't actual werewolves.
Flag
Actually, if you look at the real lore their werewolves ARE real werewolves the rest is Hollywood BS
Flag
Um, that's how werewolves look on "Supernatural" haven't you seen them before?
Flag
I was so underwhelmed by this episode! I felt annoyed 2 weeks ago when Sam and Dean had their usual "we need to split up cause I've screwed you over" for the season (let's face it- it happens AT LEAST once a season), but this patchup/ it's not going to be the same again/ we can't be like before is also LITERALLY THE SAME as previous seasons.

I don't see how the stakes are any different than last time, they are constantly falling out then moving on, rinse, repeat, see you next season and I for one am so so so sick of it! I mean it won't stop me watching, but come on writers! Most of us have been loyal fans for years don't just throw the same tripe at us season after season.... *rant over*
Flag
Boring episode. When the "previously" made it clear that Garth was coming back, I got a excited. I thought he'd be back with one hell of a story to tell, warning them about some serious danger. But the writers just used him as a prop to tell a monster of the week story, and it was pretty badly written. Why did the wife attack them with her teeth out instead of saying "Hi, I'm whatshername, Garth's wife". The Fenris wolf / Ragnarök stuff was really lame.
Flag
Who cares about this episode, next week JARED has a shirtless tank on!
Flag
Oh God..now it'll probably be worse than this week's
Flag
What is WITH that Hugh Jackman/Wolverine beard trim being sported by Dean and (to a lesser extent) Sam..

Don't tell me that the Winchesters are getting styling tips from watching Hunger Games!

I'm just sayin'.....
Flag
Actually, with their lifestyle, I always wondered how they were always clean shaven and had perfect hair. Dean must pass his stolen credit cards at a barber weekly.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Anyone know who played Garths wife Bess? She looks so familiar and I can't place what I've seen her in.
Flag
Nvm...got it.
Flag
Garth introducing Dean - "This is Dean. He could start a fight in an empty house."
Flag
Come on SPN writers. Step up ! This show has great potential. You give us one great episode then a few so called ok episodes. Try giving us more episodes like last weeks and fewer ( but also need ) fill in episodes.

The Actors are great. ( thank God for Jensen, Jared ) they pull the show together week after week.
Flag
I wasn't feeling this episode.
Flag
I thought that's what they sang too, but they were singing "Bringing in the Sheaves."
Flag
It's "Bringing in the Sheaves". Did no one watch "Little House on the Prairie"? They sang that song in church all of the time!
Flag
LOL or you know ever go to church!
Flag
Perhaps she's a muslim. Or a jew.
Flag
I don't know if Sam's deal with Dean will work. I do know that no one works well with someone they don't trust, especially if that someone was once trusted before and then did something to break that trust. This will end badly.
Flag
I'm not a fan of this episode, not really funny, not filed with emotion, off side with the main story. The eternal dispute between Sam and Dean!! It's been since Lilith/Lucifer thing in season 5 I think that they lying to each other, no trust anymore... It's a bit anoying.
The only thing I liked was a foot toward reconciliation between the Winchester!
Flag
They should've killed Garth. I mean I like Garth but he is a werewolf! when did they start considering a word from the mouth of a beast?!
It cannot be the first time a hunter turned into something else! I think they honor their "human memory" but killing them

I do remember Dean's friend from purgatory whom we all loved. Sam didn't approve it, and I suppose he is back there. Sam also killed Dean's daughter while she was just a kid but he didn't care!. How about Dean killed Sam's friend?! Also, Dean never trusted Meg or Ruby although they've proved their loyalty many times!
What I'm saying is at least one of the brothers straighten the other one when they needed!

Hunters golden rule to never trust a non human, whatever that is ... I think not anymore! not against that but that is out of character
Flag
They've learned lessons in shades of gray in the past, not every monster is evil. Monsters still have souls. And Garth was/is a human. I do wonder though if he were to die, whether he would go to Heaven or Purgatory?
Flag
Purgatory. Like Benny. Unless Chuck steps in.
Flag
They've made exceptions before on a case by case basis (the college chick who got turned into a werewolf for one). Oh and Ruby was just playing Sam for a fool and betrayed him so I don't know how good an example she makes. :)
Flag
I know she played him but not always, she was sincere in few occasions.
My point is that they are selecting who is to live and who is to die. They're becoming monsters themselves
Flag
Well, they've been doing that for awhile now. Honestly, I would rather see them be lenient with those who aren't out killing people then be like say Gordon who killed his own sister just because she a vampire. As for Ruby when exactly do you judge that she was being honest when everything she said and did was to get Sam to use his demonic power, kill Lilith and break the final seal?
Flag
They've given monsters a chance before.
Flag
I really like little episodes like this. When you have yet another apocalyptic storyline brewing in the background (Hell going through flip-flopping changes of management, Heaven preparing its grand re-opening) its nice to see the boys still take time out to help the little guy, and everyman, and in this case, one of the few friends they have left. Puts the whole, "Why are we doing all this, anyway?" question back on the table and keeps them focused and moving forward.
Flag
You know I've been holding off on saying this for awhile but I gotta... The boys look absolutely awful! Just effing awful... I realize they've both been through hell (quite literally) but man, it kinda depresses me when I watch the show.. It takes me out of whatever's going on cuz whichever one of them is talking I just keep thinking "DAMN u look haggard..."
So hilarious bout the sheep song, that was the most i laughed throughout the whole episode. And I don't see any reason why they can't work jobs with wolfy Garth every once and a while... they're pretty much fresh outta allies ('sides C&C of course.)
I agree that it was great to see Dean tell the truth about the Mark.. It's funny u could see him having a very brief internal debate about it.. he' so used to lying to Sam at this point! (altho in being fair Sam has done the same shit...)
Flag
I might have been a lil harsh.. I do realize that they've gotten older...and yes I do think they look really really tired, and just kinda washed out. It hasn't even been the whole season just the last few episodes in particular. I can sympathize with being tired tho, I have a 10 month old son who pretty much despises sleep and fights it like every night is his last night on earth.
Maybe its the way they're doing their makeup lately or maybe the fact that both bros are sportin' a scowl a lot of the time as of late (with good reason) that makes it more noticeable to me, iono.
Flag
I don't think they look awful (though I am partial to beards and all things Jensen). They look like the show has been on for 10 years. They a bit weathered (makeup) from what the last 6 months has done to them. And they look like dads who have small kids at home (tired) :)
Flag
How do they look "just effing awful"? How do you think they should look?
Flag
Dean looked kind of... bummish with his monster beard and pale, and Sam had terribly greaser hair xD
Flag
And also, I think it's healthy that Sam stays mad at Dean for a little while. It's just that Dean lied to him and deprived him of his free will, letting a crazy angel take control of his body and kill Kevin along the road. Crowley and Castiel are the ones who actually saved Sam by telling him the truth and healing his wounds. I totally understand why Dean did what he did, but I can understand why Sam is angry too, he knows that a line needs to be drawn.
Flag
It kinda doesn't seem like Sam is that mad anymore. Just really disappointed, and everyone knows that's so much worse...
Flag
I think it's kind of a passive aggressive reaction. Giving Dean the cold shoulder while still working with him and telling him he's not his brother is the worst punishment ever!
Flag
*not his brother anymore
Flag
Yup.
Flag
Great filler episode! I really enjoyed it. The new relationship between Dean and Sam make things less dull. I just want to see more of the fallen angels stuff coz that's what this season was supposed to be about. And the end of season 8 was AWEsome! And now all these angels walking the earth is just meh. Maybe they should introduce a cute actress to play a new angel (but keep Castiel) in a recurring role. Not enough chicks around the Winchesters! There used to be Jo, Ruby, Anna, Meg, Bela...
Flag
Meh. It wasn't a very good stand alone episode. I have always had mixed feelings about Garth so maybe that is why I didn't really care.
Flag
Anyone see a Abaddon/Metatron alliance in the future...?
Flag
Maybe when there are just a couple episodes till the season finale.
Flag
Nice that Garth cared for Kevin, but were they even in an episode together? I remember Kevin mentioning Garth a couple of times, but I don't think they were in any scenes together.

Hopefully Sam and Dean will work out their issues and it was nice to see Garth again (hope not for the last time). The funniest part was the dinner scene with the wolves having raw meat and Dean's plate only having his cooked.
Flag
Also this season, the stakes don't seem particularly well defined. Not that they need to be, and sometimes that definition can come out of the blue in the last two episodes.

But... are they trying to stop Metatron? stop Abaddon? bring Gadreel to justice? avenge Kevin? are the angels still running their scheme to convince humans to let them in through the power of tele-evangelism? It's kind of all over the place, and maybe it's supposed to be. But still...

Abaddon, for instance, doesn't seem to be any worse than Crowley. Maybe better: she's killing people and they go to their just reward. Crowley tricks people into selling their souls and going to Hell. His way is slower, but his victims end up where they want to go.

As I believe folks have noted before, why is Metatron planning to rule Heaven? He already pretty much controls the place. He's the only one who can get in, he controls the Prophet on/off switch.

I don't mind filler episodes, but they seem to have so many different story elements going on this year that filler doesn't seem necessary.
Flag
The battlefield certainly is getting crowded-- Gadreel, Metatron, Crowley, Abaddon, Bart and his faction, other angel factions, and now maybe Cain? (Dean did promise to kill him too?) That's a whole lotta gankin' going on, and right now it feels like new threats keep being added, without old threats being cleared up. Granted, some of these forces may take each other out without any interference from the Winchesters, but it still seems a little weird they both took a time-out for Garth when he's been missing for six months and they already have substantially bigger fish to fry. o.O
Flag
I actually like the fact they addressed Garth's absence. My gripe is that despite adding so many things this season it has felt like it has been comprised of mostly stand alones.
Flag
Garth is, if not a fan favorite, than clearly a writer favorite.
Flag
I agree completely. Every filler episode for now gives less time later. I've posted previously that this season is becoming too cluttered with stories when some clearly should have been reduced or sidelined altogether.
Flag
I'm fine with them having all the subplots, as long as they don't do the typical "Let's cram it all in, in the last two episodes" setup that they've done the last couple of seasons.
Flag
In don't know, I've seen a lot of shows run 22 episodes of nothing but main story and it always seems to get old fast. Now shows with shorter runs like "Sons of Anarchy" and "American Horror" story can do it because they have less episodes but a whole season of them just focusing on one bad guy would get really, really stale. We need stand alones to help break it up and keeps things interesting. I would also add the only time the ending of the season seemed rushed to me was when they pushing that season five is the end BS and tried to end the entire series in that one episode. THAT was lame.
Flag
Yeah, but you would still need some stand alone stuff to keep the Heaven/Hell stuff from getting old. Also, there are people (I'm not one of them) who don't really care for that stuff so they need some other stuff for them as well.
Flag
But there isn't one main story with Supernatural, which is why IMO they could juggle on the three or four main stories: Metatron getting back into Heaven, Abaddon and Crowley fighting it out, the Winchesters getting revenge on Gadreel, the angels with their own agenda.
Flag
I'm not too worried about them rushing anything. I'm more worried that some stories will be forgotten or resolved haphazardly. I like the stories they have going on. I just don't want them to end up like the 'Cas becoming human' story (ended rather quickly to me)
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members