A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursday, October 13, 2016)

One sign that we're in the middle of pilot season is the seemingly never-ending stream of news about a hundred different potential shows that you'll probably forget about unless they actually get picked up to series. But one of the more high-profile projects is Supernatural: Tribes, the (poor) title of which betrays its status as a spin-off of The CW's long-running Supernatural (which itself was just renewed for Season 10). At this point, I'm pretty fully on the record as being extremely skeptical of the endeavor, but since the news about it just won't quit, I'm giving in: It's time to embrace Tribes and whatever messy fruit it might bear, especially given the odds that it'll be good-looking, model-esque fruit. Another reason for my change of heart? We now have some casting news that's bound to make at least some of you pay closer attention to the Chicago-set, Winchester-adjacent drama.

Supernatural: Tribes explores the Windy City's history of mafia families and tells the story of five warring monster families and the hunter who hates them, and according to TV Line, the show has just put faces to two of its major roles. 

In the spirit of time-honored CW traditions, Nathaniel Buzolic—who recurred on The Vampire Diaries for two seasons as Original vampire Kol—will play David Hayden, a shapeshifter from one of Tribes' five monster families who's been living as a human. The CW is famous for recycling pretty faces; Arrow's Stephen Amell appeared as a werewolf in the second season of TVD before he was cast as Oliver Queen. Phoebe Tonkin was the best part about The Secret Circle before joining TVD—and ultimately The Originals—as werewolf Hayley. I imagine Buzolic's casting will make those fans who were devastated by Kol's demise very, very happy. Or they'll be really pissed, I don't know; I'm constantly confused by TV fans' reactions to stuff.

But The CW isn't only a big factory of familiar faces, as it's cast a relative unknown as Tribes' primary hunter, Ennis RothLucien Laviscount (EpisodesSkinsThe CW's failed pilot The Selection) will play the Chicago police officer who's drawn into the world of hunting following a family member's death. Roth is said to be "likable," "strong-willed," and "resolute," with "a strong sense of justice." I don't know if Laviscount will be able to fill those shoes, but he certainly fits the typical CW profile of being very attractive.

Does this new casting news have you looking at the spin-off—which will be Winchester-lite if it's not completely Winchester-free—any differently?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

58 Comments
Comments (57)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I like supernatural-themed shows to begin with so I'll probably give this a shot. But if the new leads are not as likable as the Winchesters, then it's gonna be a short trial for Tribes.
Flag
I don't think this should be called a spin-off. a spin-off is when an established character/s gets their own show. Angel was a spin-off, NCIS: LA is not. There needs to be a better term for shared universe shows. I am open to suggestions. Anyone?
Flag
I guess the two actors are good-looking. Personally they don't do anything for me. They look like boys. Jared and Jensen are men.

But I suppose I am being a bit unfair. Jared was about the same age as these guys when Supernatural first came out. Jared just appeared to be older and more mature looking... But that probably has to do with the fact that I was 14 when Supernatural came out...
Flag
No Sam & Dean, no watching the tribes.
Man, the brothers are the heart of the show. Lmao
At least for me.
Flag
Kaitlin - I think it will be dependent on the leads just as Supernatural was. Jared and Jensen are the reason we come back week after week even after a couple terrible run of episodes in seasons 6-9. They make it work. SN also had the freshness of using REAL urban legends to explore. I am not sure "Tribes" will have fresh material. But if these two guys have good chemistry and make us interested - then it could work. I don't watch the shows they were in, so i have no idea. And really - it doesn't matter until they are on screen together. If Kripke were involved in this more heavily, I would feel better.
Flag
The casting so far does nothing to change my mind about the show -- It looks weak. I'll give it the usual 4-episode Test tho because I'm fair and balanced ;-)
Flag
In my opinion only, right now is a stupid move to put a sequel of SPN. Just telling me that Jared and Jensen don't want to have to do anything more with the show because of the direction SPN has taken. I can't blame them. I wish the creator of SPN ( Krikpe , I think that's how you say his name ) comes back and finishes his baby with a bang. Giving Jared and Jenson the acclaim they deserve, instead of starting another version of SPN. I don't know but to me something sounds fishy.
Flag
Okay, now I'm definitely watching. I like Nathaniel :D
Flag
I am happy for the guy.
Flag
Ugh...
Why most of the shows now have this teenage drama feel to it? It's just is ridiculous! When SPN started it did not feel like that though the plot was about two young boys. I really don't get it...
Flag
The premise still puts me off; a lone hunter without superhuman abilities being surrounded by five, no less, notorious supernatural families. Why aren't they just going to whack him on sight? Is it that he's unknown to them and so manages to subdue them week in and out either with weaponry or his paralysing good looks?! However, The CW has relied on fairly off the rack model-esque main cast members since it appeared and so to criticise it as a fail on that basis is premature. I assume he's going to get some hapless foil of a sidekick, or multiple helps, somewhere along the way. Let's face (!) it, no CW show sticks with a singularly self-sufficient character.
Kol could still turn up on T.O. in flashback just to promote the actor for Tribes. It could be a good storyline for Hayden (or his tribe) to shape shift into Roth's father's image to taunt him.
Overall, as is though, unless Roth has Garth, Castiel, Oliver Queen, Harry Dresden etc. on speed dial for hunting/survival tips, I don't see how he's going to make it?
Flag
I wasn't that interested in this show when I first heard about it, but now I will probably watch it. Unlike most people I actually liked Kol on TVD so I kind of have to at least give this show a shot
Flag
Not interested in a spin-off. Unless it's about Charlie and Dorothy kicking ass together while being funny and adorable.
Flag
This Roth character sounds a lot like Dean to me.
Flag
No, thank you!

#sorry not sorry
Flag
I'll still give this a shot, but there has literally been nothing said thus far about this spin-off that makes me want to watch it, other than the fact its a spinoff.
Flag
Supernatural has already gotten bad enough (and I was one of the biggest fans originally, but now it's just ridiculous bad), it doesn't need a spinoff, and I'm amazed it gets another season.
I can't remember the last time they tried that element called character development. For the Winchester brothers to still have and be haggling out these ridiculous trust(among other things) issues every second of every episode just makes it so tasteless lately... Ug! Just let it end gracefully.
Flag
I'm getting tired of everyone on the CW being generic beautiful people. They're all some simultaneously attractive and totally boring looking at the same time, these two are no exception. Yet another nail in this show's coffin.
Flag
Amen ! When are tv channels going to understand than the beauty of an actor or actress resides in his/her capacity to act and play intersting character ? The greatest shows of all time don't have models as actors.
Flag
And even great shows that have attractive people at least cast unique looking attractive people. I mean think of Game of Thrones, tons of beautiful faces, but most of them are unique, Peter Dinklage might be a dwarf but he's also hot as hell, Rose Leslie who plays Ygritte doesn't look like a swimsuit model yet somehow she's beautiful, Natalie Dormer has one of the weirdest looking faces out there, and yet she's super hot (and it's not because of the cleavage).
Flag
I agree. But in this case SPN has both. Especially in Ackles who is a truly very versatile actor and extremely underestimate. These actors know that SPN now came either break them or make them. If SPN had stopped in season 5 it would have been a great ending for all concerned. Hopefully season 10 can do the same as season 5.
Flag
We'll have to agree to disagree on Ackles !
Flag
Yes we do ! lol. I'm glad Jared may be safe.

Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
So I guess this means that Kol won't make an appearance on The Originals in flashback form or other. Judging from what I've seen of Nathaniel's work on TVD and Blue Water High, I really don't think he's enough of a strong actor to be one of the main characters in this spin-off. On the other hand, I love how The CW has Aussies in nearly every show of theirs: Claire Holt and Phoebe Tonkin (TO), Luke Mitchell (TTP), Adelaide Kane and Caitlin Stasey (Reign), Eliza Taylor (The 100) and Nathaniel Buzolic (TVD, SPN:Tribes).
Flag
I can't help but think that a spinoff about Chuck getting drunk, trying to write, and failing to get laid with fangirls would have made a better spinoff idea...I think I actually just halfway described Californication.
Flag
Not interested
Flag
LOL CW shows are very incestuous
Flag
no thanks. pass
Flag
Hmm, reading from the paragraph about who the actors are... ('In the spirit of time-honored...etc') I got this unholy feeling of a new teen drama being described, not something Supernatural-esqe. I'm scared.
Flag
Well maybe we have to see Tribes like a show about monsters' s hunters in Chicago and not like a Supernatural's spin-off??
If we put aside all links with the Wincherster we may find it nice, who knows? :)
Flag
As long as The CW does.
Flag
As Supernatural episode 20 is the backdoor pilot for Tribes then I'll watch it because...duh....I'll be watching Supernatural Episode 20 like so many others will! That said, after reading this article I am now very interested in Tribes just to see Lucien Laviscount. Bless his little cotton socks he was in Coronation Street (British soap) as Sophie Websters boyfriend before she was a lesbian. I imagine he decided to do the smart thing and check out America as there's a severe lack of work for Black actors in the UK. Good Luck Lucien!!!! At least Original fans now know the status on the return of Kol!
Flag
Haven't watched Supernatural since seaon 4 but I think Nate Buzz has some cultish power over me... He forces me to watch things I don't want to watch...
Flag
Lol. you watch the first 4 seasons, Lucifer comes out of his hole in the series finale and you stop watching???
Flag
I don't know, I just didn't love it anymore.
Flag
Wow, they are really doing it, aren't they? It's interesting (or uninteresting, I guess) that I've been watching Supernatural since the beginning, and with so many potential spinoff storylines, they picked one I couldn't care any less.
Flag
I don't understand WHY this is a spinoff of Supernatural apart of the cheap backdoor pilot this plot so far got NOTING to do with Supernatural or the winchesters!? This smells like CW wanted a new show like Vampire dairy's and just put Supernatural in the title and make a backdoor pilot for a show that got nothing to do with the current show! The Orginals where characters on TVD for years but this show's plot doesn't make sense in the series it spinoff! Sam And Dean will just help the hunter get rid off all that Tribes and have one beer in a bar at the end of the 43 minutes ep!
Flag
if i have never seen a single episode of supernatural, will i understand this show? maybe not enjoy it, thats left kind of up to me, but will i be incredibly lost and not understand what is happening, having never watched supernatural?
i am a big [Kol] fan, so once i saw him I thought it might just be a fun watch.. or will I be out in the cold, with zero idea of whats happening?
Flag
No. If you want to watch a good show, download or netflix/hulu/whatever the original 5 seasons of Supernatural. Don't watch this bad spinoff to be, original SN is awesome.
Flag
I'll prob check it out.
But so far casting makes me wanna watch since I'm still reeling from Starcrossed. I feel like it can't be worse than that and the casting makes me a wee bit hopeful.
Flag
Meh...
Flag
This spin-off will be fail like Ravenswood...and I already dread episode 20 of Supernatural's current season...
Flag
i did not read the article, i read most of this on another site and i got one word for this, the spin off idea in the first place, let alone the casting. FAILURE!!!
Flag
It may not that teen soapy as I would believe. Nathaniel Buzolic is 30. Lucien Laviscount is young but not very young at 21. To me might be playing older(?) as a character. I doubt he'd be playing younger(?). I guess we wait for other cast announcements particularly on the female side to see how the ages look there. Then it becomes an issue of how the character are acted/written.
Flag
I'll probably check out the pilot but if it's just another teen soap I doubt I'll watch it. It may have the Supernatural name but that's it.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 9:00 pm
    What Would You Do?
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Dateline NBC
    NEW
    NBC
  •