A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning October 13, 2016)

By now you Supernatural fans know that The CW has ordered a pilot for a Supernatural spin-off called Supernatural: Tribes, and by now hopefully you've gotten over that unfortunate title (Kaitlin sure hasn't). Why a new Supernatural spin-off? Probably because Jensen and Jared are no longer in their 20s and The CW needs to restock its collection of young hotties (kidding mostly!). The new series would exist in the world of the Winchesters (Sam and Dean will make appearances, without a doubt), but unlike its country-crossing source material, Tribes would stay put in Chicago. Borrowing from the Windy City's history of mafia families, Tribes tells the story of five warring monster families and one pissed-off hunter. 

But who will these monsters and hunters be? Now we know, thanks to some digging by the folks at TV Line

At the center of the action is Ennis Roth, a human cop-turned-hunter in his mid-20s (of course). He'll be our window into this world as Sam and Dean tell him the truth about Chicago and the five monster families that run it. Casting agents are looking for an African-American male to play the part, and I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that he'll be above-average in the attractiveness department. 

So far, we only know the "species" of two of the show's five monster families: shape-shifters and werewolves. From the shape-shifter clan, we'll meet David Hayden, an early-20s (duh) shifter who's been living a normal human life until something terrible happens and then *BAM* it's back to shape-shifting. His sister Margo Hayden is also in her early 20s (obviously) and has a bit of a wild streak in her past, but now she has her eyes on taking a position of power in the family. 

We'll also be hanging out with two members of the Durants, a powerful and wealthy werewolf pack. Violet Durant is in her early 20s (what else did you expect?), probably hot (I think we can strike the "probably" part), and has a thing for Ennis. But their mutual attraction becomes a  problem because werewolf-human making out is frowned upon by lycanthropes. Violet's brother Julian Durant is totally sexy and in his 20s (I'm shocked). He's Ennis's chief rival. 

And finally, Freddie Costa is a cop who mentors Ennis and has his own secret. And this will blow your mind, but he's ANCIENT, DUSTY OLD. He's in his 30s. 

How does that sound, Supernatural fans? I love Supernatural, and this sounds... well, it sounds like everything else on TV, actually. Also, what types of monsters do you think the three other families will be? Definitely vampires, right? But what about after that? Leviathans? Wendigos? Masturbating oversized suicidal teddy bears? Let's hear your thoughts!

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

231 Comments
Comments (230)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
haha, love the teddy bear reference!
Flag
I'm guessing the other three species will be vampires, ghouls, and Djinn.
Flag
Charlie and Dorothy's Adventures in Oz would be a much better idea for a spin-off!
Flag
I'd rather stick a knife in Dean myself.
Flag
It just doesn't sound Supernatural to me at all... There were so many other good elements to Supernatural that they could have taken to make a spin-off and they decide on this... Warring supernatural creature families isn't original at all. C'mon they can come up with something so much better.
Flag
They should have made the spin-off about Samuel Colt.
Flag
I would have liked to have seen that. Instead we're getting a Supernatural/Mafia drama... The idea has potential and maybe its too soon to judge, but because this is the CW I don't really have much faith in the show. I swear if I see another supernatural love triangle I will puke. And I will mail that puke to the CW... =__=;;
Flag
I love Supernatural but this spinoff sounds horrible base in one city and all with complete unknows never showed in the show before....
Flag
Quite excited about the show. Since it's the same writers, I'm sure they won't disappoint. Those complaining about not having Sam-and-Dean should realize that it's a spinoff. They can't have Jared & Jensen star in 2 shows at the same time. That would be inconsiderate of their time.

So, if you love the Winchesters, watch the show. They would want you to. Of course, you will eventually fall in love with the show and need no convincing.
Flag
It seems CW has finally figured out a way to get Vampire Diaries, The Secret Circle, Beauty and the Beast and Supernatural all in one show.

It could be an interesting spin-off, but it sounds like a Grimm knock-off.

Flag
It doesn't sound very entertaining in my opinion, but I'm not judging it yet like many of you are. If Supernatural is an amazing T.V series, why wouldn't Supernatural: Tribes be?
Although, it is pissy how there won't be much of Sam and Dean... I don't like that idea :\ I'll give it a shot though when it comes out.
Flag
I think I may be done with Supernatural after this season.
I've finally learned that the first five seasons are all I need of this show.
Flag
I get the impression that next year will be it's last, although it could just as easily wrap up this year. But CW seems to like to keep it's popular shows around for a while. And I think Supernatural is also it's last WB carry-over show.
Flag
yeah, I think I read somewhere too that the next season will be its last.
Flag
yeah while this sounds familiar to a lot other shows right now but I will when it comes out my DVR will be recording
Flag
Let's get really out there and NOT do vampires. I've hated every vampire ep. Supernatural has ever done, I can't imagine this being good, but then again, I like The Originals better than TVD right now.
Laughed-until-my-drink-squirted-out-of-my-noise at the last 30's comment. Thanks for that (no, but really).
Flag
As long as there is no triangle romance I will be fine.
Flag

spot on, I thought of 15 other tv shows while reading this. that aside, I will watch anything that Supernatural is willing to shove at me.
Flag
so....The Winchesters know about a Cosa Monstra in Chicago and they haven't gone Elliot Ness on them? I have a feeling this is going to be like when the Duke cousins came to Hazard.
Flag
Vampires... Demonds... Angels... Or maybe story-writer & producers who works on "a silly spin-off a true legend" in order to milk the cow for more cash...
Flag
Staff
Laughing, crying, but still strangely excited.
Flag
Sounds just like all the other teen/early 20's crap out there just hope it doesn't drag SPN down with it when it crashes n burns. Sam and Dean rock and they are as hot if not more so as when SPN started
Flag
It sounds awful.. Just leave SPN alone. The only reason this show is love and watched is Jensen and Jared.
Flag
This sounds cheap & retarted. The whole purpose of SPN, is hunters kill monsters. The idea of affluent monster families in chicago seems interesting at first glance....BUT it makes no fuckin sense w/in the context of the SPN universe. Sounds like a GOT/SOA wannabe....
Not happy about this at all.
Flag
The horror!!!!!! That sounds awful!!!!! What is Supernatural without the Winchesters and their road trips? Don't even want to watch the pilot! The only pieces of news that could change that would be the absence of vampires or the presence of insanely pretty girls...
Flag
We watch SPN because they have good stories; not because of The Winchesters. The Winchesters are just a bonus.
Flag
I agree, but the stories are good because of the characters, They'll have to create damn good characters that I'd want to follow. And I mentioned the road trips too. I'm not sure I want a series set in Chicago only, I already watch Chicago Fire and Chicago PD ;)
Flag
Considering there are shape-shifters, there will probably be a family of ghouls too - super fast, super strong shape-shifters who eat the dead to change their look - that would be cool.

Considering there will be werewolves, maybe skinwalkers? John Winchester calls them the cousins of werewolves, but instead of wolves, they shift into dogs. That would be pretty awesome.

If they want to avoid the cliche vampire like monsters they should have the Vetala - loyal creatures that work in networks of family, they fit perfectly into the shows plot and they're awesome looking - got the sharp teeth and the blues eyes. That would be really dope.

Flag
sounds horrible
Flag
Sounds interesting. Its awesome that they try to expand the supernatural universe! Lets hope they dont mess it up!
Flag
sounds terrible..why not have a cross series of Teenwolf, vampire diaries, witches of eastend, supernatural and walking dead..just to fulfill every criteria currently being sort after in the market, they could kill off all the over 25's and just have all the young sexy fit world wise kids running the show after they've all slept with each other, fallen for each other and then all had their hearts broken by each other and now seek revenge on each other while the not so hot ones are secretly in love with the really hot ones but never notice..then send in the Winchesters+Blade+Buffy and Kate Beckinsales character from Underworld just to liven up the boring brooding talks about young angst and how no one understands how hard it is being being young hot and immortal.........
Flag
Ennis
Flag
So... monsters hiding around Chicago and running things in the background. Grumpy guy stands between them. Most likely humor thrown into the mix similar to Supernatural's various comments / jokes and pointing out the obvious. Said Grumpy guy will use shotguns and the occasional spell / artifact to vanquish some jerk monsters.

So... we're getting a very watered-down "Dresden Files"

Obviously there are other similarities to other shows (Lost Girl) but the Chicago thing kind of makes me thing "Dresden"
Flag
Okay it sounds better than I was expecting it to sound.

I'd be very surprised if one of the other families wasn't vampires, because duh?
Flag
Sounds interesting to me.
Flag
This soap thing is not for me.
Flag
its goin to suck..
Flag
Basic Ideas appealing to our generation of tv viewers. I do find the idea lame since it is just a mix of over used themes. On the other hand, I am a sucker for that kind of show. However I can't stand the idea of it as a spin off of Supernatural.
As I prevoulsy said Supernatural dealt with more or less succes on the different monster races.
I want a clear cut end (what happened to God) on the Supernatural series which runs through its life Cycle.
After that i would be open minded to a new monsters series with crossovers from the Winchester Brothers to established and guide our new hero for a while as the experts they are. I would even why not kill them in that series after an happy end in Supernatural and give them a hunter goobyes.
But please don't use the series as a spin off as Supernatural will forever be the Winchesters and will be a turn off for me as it might be for other fans costing to a series to be canceled when it could be good
Flag
How about we forget about this and bring back The Dresden Files instead?
Flag
Totally with you. But no Paul Blackthorne! I thought Cruz as Murphy was perfect but other than that the cast was awful.
Flag
Paul Blackthorne did good.. I liked him in the show..
Flag
Was he really a good Harry? Im not so sure ... I thought he was too old. He always looked like someone in their forties while Harry was in his mid thirties or younger. He is good as Laurels father on Arrow though.
Flag
Hey.. what can I tell you, I think he played the part good and you know.. Dresden files.. Harry Potter meets Rockford Files.. so, Harry had a gruff look, which made sense to me :)
Flag
LOL, I was thinking the same thing and posted something similar before reading this.

But yeh, very similar.

At least the next book is out in 1-2 months.
Flag
Warring families in a big city but with monsters and a protagonist in the middle. Sounds like Lost Girl but with a dude.

How do you go from super powered angels, demons, and leviathans then back down to lesser monsters like werewolves and shapeshifters? It's the reason we haven't had many stories about these lesser monsters in Supernatural anymore.
Flag
I won't watch it unless there's a family of suicidal teddy bears in their 20s.
Flag
They should just call it Tribes or anything else without the title Supernatural in it. Go the Vampire Diaries and Originals route and just use a similar title logo as Supernatural.
Flag
Will give it a try if they change the name, without a name change I wouldn't be able to shake off the feeling that I'm watching Survivor and I hate that show.
Flag
I actually think it sounds like a pretty good, from the description, minus the obvious love triangles. Sounds a little like, potentially, a Supernatural Game of Thrones, with all the warring families. I wish we could have heard/see some of it ahead of the convenient pilot set-up, though. Hopefully, also, it'll allow The Winchesters to focus on worldwide threats and angel/demon problems, rather than generic monster issues outside of specifically personal cases like with Garth.
Flag
The title sucks (no puns intended), but with the character info, it doesn't sound too bad. I'll give it a chance. I may snark about some of what Supernatural, but overall it has been pretty good. And besides, Grimm sounded pretty bad when it was first announced. And I was VERY pleasantly surprised by it.
Flag
After being a faithful fan for years I got bored with Supernatural somewhere during the last season. I watched the first 3 episodes of the present season but it can't hold my interest anymore. I'll certainly will give this spin-off a try though.
Flag
Sounds like the Prison Break: Cherry Hill pitch. Luckily that never got off the ground.
Flag
It sounds stupid. If there are werewolves about Sam and Dean should be killing them.

Werewolf pack? Family? Since when does this happen? People get bit, they are normal humans until night time where they go full monster and kill people. They've made such a big deal in the past of humans that have been bitten needing to be put down because they will eventually kill an incontinent.

Flag
Clearly you haven't seen last week's episode of Supernatural....
Flag
Or the Bitten episode from last season, when they didn't pursue the newly bitten werewolf from the found footage.
Flag
This sounds horrible but Supernatural sounded bad on paper too.
Flag
I liked the cop turned witch from last season I think it was. The spin-off in a single city has such potential in a world brimming with so much mythology and so many vibrant but minor characters in Supernatural. It would be amazing to see some of them popping up.
Flag
Love the show,hate any sort of seq ,see what happened to Nikkita ,love the old show too ,new one good ,but not for someone watched the original Show n dig it
Flag
I'm going out on a limb here and say cast that Black guy that Damon killed in the Vampire Diaries. The one whom was making out with Caroline.
Flag
I mean Elena not Damon.
Flag
Really annoying seeing everyone passing off the show already. Respect to the ones who have expressed doubts but are still tuning in. I do personally find myself intrigued by the idea, but I can see why people are doubtful. You should only be tuning in if you're a SPN fan or you're interested by the concept, and if you're an SPN fan then you have to be happy with how the writers have done. Out of 9 seasons, only 1 of them hasn't been great (okay, maybe Season 6 wasn't up there either). The writers are good, and if they're doing another show, then bring it on. I trust them with Supernatural so I see no reason why I shouldn't trust them with something new. Oh, and those of you saying that it's a rip-off of The Originals need to understand that, well, it's not. The Originals follows three vampires who return to a town they built to find that the vampires have a firm grip over the witches. That's two species. There are werewolves involved, but they are barely in it and have had no impact. How do you compare two species against five? A five-way battle for control over Chicago, with a lone human in the middle, is nowhere near the same as a two-way battle for control of just one part of New Orleans! At least give the show a chance, geez.....
More+
Flag
this actually sounds good and could be goo too. So happy that the main guy is black and not the typical white guy they always cast
Flag
So far the only thing overly intriguing is having an AA lead, and not just for the sake of having an AA cast member to seem diversified. The warring clans of whatever monster nonsense sounds like its going to be a very dull procedural type with just-came-into-town monster of the week nonsense. Sorta like Grimm, but possibly better special effects?
Flag
Sounds like an even more class led version of Grimm. I wonder if Michael Douglas will cameo in a board (or is that bored) meeting?
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members