A Supernatural Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on The CW (Returning Thursdays, Fall 2016)

It doesn't matter how hard I try to pretend The CW's horribly titled Supernatural spin-off pilot isn't happening; it just keeps finding new ways to ruin my day. We already know that the Chicago-set Supernatural: Tribes will follow a cast of non-Winchester and non-honorary-Winchester characters battling five warring monster families, and thanks to TV Guide, we now have a few more details about its impending debut: The backdoor pilot will air later this spring as the twentieth episode of Supernatural's ninth season, with the Brothers Winchester traveling to the Windy City for a case. Once there, they'll run into Tribes' protagonist, Ennis Roth, a human cop who's been pulled into the world of hunting following the death of a family member—much like the Winchesters were so many years ago. Ennis also has some deep-seated daddy issues, because daddy issues are the hot, sticky blood that runs through the veins of the Supernatural world. Would it kill The CW to give Tribes its own style and flavor, or am I going to have to sell my soul at a crossroads to make that happen?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/25/2016

Season 11 : Episode 23

107 Comments
Comments (106)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Among all the quick to judge complaints I don't understand people's problems with the title "Tribes," I mean if you think about it "Supernatural" is not exactly a jump out at you, original title in itself, in fact it is kind of bland - but it works nevertheless.
Flag
I'm already disappointed in the casting and plots. Very uninspiring. Storyline is old and unoriginal. It's just going to fall flat from the comparison to it's parent show. Supernatural was a rare occurrence with the combination of a great storyline, actors and directors. The powers that be should have just let it come to an end and not squeezed some more cash out of it with a spin-off.
Flag
I'm still not sure I'm going watch this, but I would rather see the lead character be a recurring character this season, and then if he really likeable, then have him get his own series. Is one episode going to be enough that we care what happens to him?

I'd like to see a Winchester relative be the main character, like Sam and Dean's cousin.

Flag
What happened to all the Campbells?
Flag
That would be a better title too "The Campbells"
Flag
Except that they all died and most of them were demon possessed to start with.
Flag
I really think this spin off is stupid and should be terminated.
Flag
The mother and father issues brings audiences to watch..cause in reality we all have issues with one parent or both.
Flag
every show at some point will have mommy or daddy issues at some point!!
Flag
I'm reserving my judgement until I actually see the show. It might be amazing.
Flag
Most pilots with a supernatural/comicverse bent sound ridiculous. When I first heard of Supernatural, my immediate reaction was 'Buffy, only with guys. Don't think it will last.' I was wrong. It outlasted Buffy.

So, there are going to be parental issues of one sort or another. I would only be surprised if it didn't.

Beating it up before it actually airs seems counter productive.
Flag
In fairness, most American male writers of modern-day scripted dramas seem to be obsessed with their fathers, and transfer that onto the characters they write. If the characters don't have father issues, then they have mother issues. If they don't have mother issues, they have parent issues.

Supernatural - check.

Arrow - Pretty much all of the first season. Now Oliver has traded up to mother issues.

Psych - Check

Person of Interest - Just found out Finch has father issues

Grimm - Nick's mother, Monroe and Natalie's parents

Once Upon a Time: All over the place with father and mother issues

OUaT/Wonderland - Alice's father

Heck, on original Star Trek, Spock had father issues.

The Following - Now Emma has mother issues

24 - Okay, nothing there. But then Jack wasn't born, he was shot out of a gun, right? :)

I'm sure it's not every show, but there's enough...
Flag
I would say Ollie earned his mommy issues although I DO think he Because I don't know anything about them and have no strong feelings one way or the other. I DO think he overracted a tad last episode and hopefuly he will back peddel a bit next episode. :)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
FYI: Emma became Joe's follower BECAUSE of her mother issues, and killed her mother because of her Joe issues.
Flag
Watch season 6 of 24. Jack has loads of Daddy issues.
Flag
Also his Jack's father kill his brother.
Flag
Pretty much anything Ryan Murphy is associated with has mommy issues.
Flag
Season 3 of American Horror Story didn't really have any. A little bit with Hank and his father, but I wouldn't call either one of them more then tertiary characters.

I don't think Season 2 of AHS did either...

But from what I've seen of Murphy's work, just going by AHS, he seems to take a very... matriarchal stance with his TV work.
Flag
Did you actually watch Season 3 of American Horror Story?
Flag
Well, yes... I kind of have to. :)
Flag
Season 3 didn't what now? Cordelia and Fiona? Kyle and his mom molesting him? Luke and his mom, with the bleach enema and her suffocating him with a pillow?

Season 2. The killer Johnny literally tried to kill his mother Lana to accomplish what his father never could. The lactophilia he had when he paid a prostitute so that he could feed on her breast milk and get something that his mother never did to him?

The original killer his father killed all of those women because of his lack of relationship with his mother. He admitted that to Lana when he had her tied to the bed.

Flag
I don't think Cordelia and Fiona had father issues, no. :) Which was my original statement, and the one I was going with.

Kyle and Luke didn't have father issues.

Johnny and the original killer didn't have father issues, either.

I acknowledged the mother issues, with my comment about Murphy taking a matriarchal stance.
Flag
I suppose you could argue that Kim Bauer has father issues. But when your dad beats God two out of three in arm-wrestling matches, what do you expect...?
Flag
What a travesty... Ya know what, for the ppl who will give this a chance, good for you, no offense and nothing personal... but this sounds like garbage mated with trash and had a babby called tribes...fine, but to degrade SPN to try and sell this monstrosity...so lame...greed has no bounds, my friends..
Flag
Is there enough to see of the (backdoor) pilot and maybe of the first episodes to justify all the hate? Yeah spin offs suck, backdoor pilots are not the best deck you can have but all in all there are some shows over the last years that proved me wrong in my bad expectations. Take Teen Wolf for example: nothing I heard, read or saw in advance of the pilot gave me any indication of how actually good this retake of the iconic but extremely outdated MJ Fox original would be. So again, my question: what gives us the certitude to say this thing is a travesty or even an abomination of Supernatural? Crappy premisses aren't any indicator at all, take Being Human or Sleepy Hollow.
And ruining an episode of Supernatural? lol They did that on their own too often already, that ship has sailed.
Flag
I don't see how a show like this lasts more than 2 episodes, ESPECIALLY if Sam and Dean show up.

"Oh, bunch of monster clans in Chicago? Guess we'll call in a bunch of hunters and kill them all because, as hunters, it would be dumb to just leave them here to kill people randomly at all times..."
Flag
Actually Dean and Sam have been leaving monsters and sometimes their clans alive since, oh, Season 2.
Flag
Yeah..*A* clan, and the occasional loners that tend to be actively trying to stay off the radar, not warring factions. They tend to rate much lower on the "let them live" scale because of the whole "human collateral" issue.
Flag
If the various monster clans are JUST killing each other and leaving humans alone then they would okay with it. The new rule since that season two vampire episode is :as long as they are not killing people they're okay.
Flag
Sure, but the one thing that would bring warring factions together would be something like the Hunters coming in and attacking them all.

As long as they're attacking mostly themselves, I would imagine Hunters would leave them alone. There are reasons why they might attack innocents, but also reasons why they wouldn't.
Flag
They've actually been leaving monster clans alive for the last season or two...
Flag
I love Supernatural so I will watch this too.
I would of liked to see the spin off starring Crowley though.
Flag
Crowley is so brilliant I'd even be happy if he turned up in NCIS or Trophy Wife!
Flag
Hmm ok the title sucks, no-one can deny that, it's awful - I'm hoping they change it b4 the season starts (if it's picked up). If not I'm gonna have to abbreviate it somehow.. SPNT..? *unconvinced face*

Other than that I'm not sure I agree with the rest.. no need to start selling souls yet IMO, think we should just wait & see. Personally I've loved Supernatural long enough to warrant me giving it's spin-off a chance & not writing it off before it even airs ;)
Flag
A good spin off would be C&D in the OZ.
Flag
Provided they could avoid the levels of cheese we see in OUAT in Wonderland, it could be pretty good for a couple of summer mini-seasons.
Flag
This is the CW they don't have the budget for that kind of hardcore fantasy setting.
Flag
"Would it kill The CW to give Tribes its own style and flavor"

Would it kill you to give the f*cking show a chance (ie. maybe give it a SINGLE EPISODE) before writing it off?
Flag
If the CW doesn't want us to make assumptions about the show before it airs, why release information about the show before it airs?

That said, I don't see reviewing what the CW tells us "writing it off." If Kaitlin says I'm not watching it, that'd be... writing it off, right? If pointing out the obvious, that the network is going to pains to tell potential viewers, is "writing it off," then we're all in trouble... :)
Flag
Noooooo I do not want a backdoor pilot, what a way to ruin a Supernatural episode :(
Flag
I kind of like backdoor pilots. They introduce you to the new characters while also having the familiar characters there to ground things.
Flag
Now that I think about it Arrow did a great job introducing Flash. The first examples that came to my mind were The Originals in TVD and a Bones spin-off, both felt like "let's stop whatever we are doing and met this cool new characters and even change our personalities a bit".
I think Arrow is the exception and that it worked for this show because it is in its normal dynamic to have some comic character star for a few episodes. And I think it won't work for Supernatural because what I've heard about Tribes doesn't seem very consistent with the world of Supernatural.
But I guess I'll have to wait and see.
Flag
How about you watch the episode before deciding it's ruining anything?

But I see your point, why be an adult when you can be a baby?
Flag
Because the network (and pretty much all networks) are releasing information to get us to decide whether a show is good or bad before it airs.

Why is it any more reasonable to decide to watch something based on storyline leaks and promos, then to decide not to watch it? Unless you watch everything that comes out and gives it a chance, we all use this information to decide what we'll watch and what we don't.

As far as deciding if a backdoor pilot ruins something, it's called "learning from experience." Each person brings it in when deciding what to watch and what they don't. I don't agree that backdoor pilots ruin everything, but if the OP's experience is different, more power to them.
Flag
Well, because I have many things to do other than watch tv, and I'd rather dedicate those minutes to shows I already like than to a mixture of a show I like with a new show, especially when the new show sounds unappealing to me. If your definition of an adult is someone who watches every damn thing on tv or someone who doesn't know her tastes good enough to decide what she might like based on previous information then ok I'm a baby.
Flag
Never liked the idea of a 'backdoor pilot'. If this particular episode produces a high number in the ratings (like First Born did only a few weeks ago) then this thing could move forward without anyone actually wanting it (I'm going to watch the ep anyway because they might sneak in something related to the bigger picture).

Also, if they are going to try a spin-off, I would have preferred it to come after Supernatural had finished. I'm already losing faith in this show rapidly. If there is a second series to watch along-side this I don't think I'd be up to it as I'm struggling to retain interest in what's already going on!
Flag
The CW already gave an order for a solo pilot episode also. So the ratings for episode 20 really won't cause the spin-off to sink or swim.
Flag
Well that's good news at least. Between this and the HIMYM spin-off it's like the networks want me to watch re-hashed versions of things I've been watching for 9 or so years!
Flag
Well this Supernatural spinoff sounds like it will have a different tone than the original so it won't really be a rehashed version, but I guess we'll have to wait for the show to really know for sure.
Flag
Has a full season already been ordered?? I only wonder because it could end up going the way of NCIS Red which tried a back door pilot in NCIS Los Angeles and was so poorly received they didn't bother with taking it any further than that. I will give the pilot a go but I cant honestly see this being well liked at all, after all the heart of Supernatural has ALWAYS been the Winchesters (even when we get bored with Deans super guilt and Sam's super angst), the Impala and more recently the bromance between Dean and Cas.
Flag
I like Supernatural but I'm pretty sure I'll pass on this one.
Flag
I agree with others here selling your soul will make no difference here. I know I simply won't bother watching. Voting with your feet is the real answer here rather vexing ourselves over the stupidity of TV executives. We've all got things to do... right!? No publicity, no oxygen, no life!
Flag
Jesus Christ, it's a fucking hour of TV on a show you like? You're not "voting with your feet" when you refuse to even give something a chance. That's called being an asshole.
Flag
Staff
Hey guys! Please remember to always be nice to each other. TV.com does have a zero tolerance policy on bullying or calling each other names. It's totally fine to disagree but please do so politely! You can PM me with any further questions. THanks!
Flag
Sorry I hoped I was being polite. Sorry for any offensive! Manoj
Flag
No. That's not being an asshole. Maybe it's narrow minded, maybe it's because of being burnt - there are numerous reasons for refusal, a lot of them justified. It's just that I don't see a general problem in enlarging an existing, well fleshed out universe, trying out a different take on a proven idea and milking a cow. It's been done too often and maybe it's going to be good this time - who knows? Because of prejudices I almost missed out on Supernatural completely.
Flag
And while I probably won't base my viewing on just the show description, we'll have more information by then to make what The CW presumably wants us to have to make a reasonably informed decision on whether to give it a chance or not.

Like who is the show runner, and who are the other creative forces? If it's Ben Edlund, then sure, I'll give him a chance. If it's some second-string "we just made him a co-consulting-associate-supervising producer" last year crew guy in charge, not so much.
Flag
That is one of the reason I gave up on The Walking Dead. I was already buying the Comic book. I watched then bought the boxed set 1 and 2. But Changes in quality and show runners, etc have meant though incomplete I won't buy any more TWD TV stuff.
Flag
Although it doesn't sound like the kind of thing Ben Edlund would want to be working on, either. But I suppose if The CW wants the show, and Ben needs another pool in the backyard... ;)
Flag
I'll stop prejudging shows, when networks stop giving me pre-release info and want me to prejudge them. :)
Flag
I can only but agree!
Flag
Sorry Matey I don't live in the dictatorship of Danicichstan. I am part of a democracy where free speech and opinion is right not a privilege
So shout and be offensive if that's all you can do. It won't change my opinion. TV is littered with poor programme commissioning idea. I as oneof the public are just far more savy to TV executives shoddy and unoriginal thinking...
Flag
Really? Where do you live? If not in Iceland than you do have a weird view on reality stating that you are "part of a democracy where free speech and opinion is right not a privilege".
Yeah you have the right to choose your entertainment and your beverage, that's it. Ridiculous how easy people are taking their mouth full of words like democracy, free speech, rights and privileges when it comes to TV shows they like or don't like. You're rightfully offended by being called an asshole especially when uncalled for - but please less drama.
Flag
@klotensen responding to your comment below. I can only but agree with you.
Flag
@ ManojMajhi: I'm sorry too, I didn't want to come off so harsh, like you wrote - drama about drama, right? But we could use more countries where democracy not only exists on paper...
Flag
You might be right. I was only responding to the overall offensive tone. Ok! Drama about a drama...
Flag
There are several hundred new shows on each fall, assuming you have second-tier cable in the States and are an American viewer. Time constraints mean that I refuse to give 99% of those a chance.

How many shows do you refuse to give a chance each fall?
Flag
Alternately, if a particular episode of a show you do watch sounds really really bad, do you still watch it?
Flag
The answer for me is no. But that is just me! I like what amazon are trying to do and at least understand their viewing public actually do have thoughts and opinions... right or wrong. E.g. Betas I actually liked it. My friend hated it. We agreed to disagree. So Betas appears to be in the can now (correct me if I am wrong?). If so at least not too much time or money was wasted by everyone.
Flag
i'm not sure even selling your soul could fix this. Without Sam and Dean, it is not supernatural no matter how much they say it exists in the same world and locking it down to one city, how boring. Heck, this could be a bad idea too, but I would rather see a spin off that follows a character like Garth or another Bobby like person. Granted it would not be a great difference from Supernatural, but at least it does not limit itself. One city (Chicago at that, ugh), 5 monster families (where has this ever been shown as possible previously in Supernatural besides the occasion vampire coven.) and a cop with daddy issues (why not just a regular guy who somehow stumbled upon this world without losing family or friends - wow, isn't that such an original idea.). This is just gonna suck.

Wait... I got it, this is CW right, why not go back to that group of teenage hunters from a previous episode. Than it can be like everything else on CW. (This comment is sarcasm - but do not let any CW execs see it)
Flag
That's the thing. Any spin off they do following any hunters on the road is just going to be a rehash of the parent show. The best spin offs are not clones of the original show but tell their own stories in that same world. Maybe if "Supernatural" the show and the vocal fans had embraced different types of characters other than the standard surly, flannel wearing, classic rock listening hunters maybe they would have had more to work with now. As it is every hunter is basically the same and works the same way so they had to go to the other side of the street for ideas. Also didn't help that they killed off every really good character they managed to make.
Flag
I do not want to see monster families battling each other. If i want to see that stuff, I will rewatch sopranos or something. Maybe they cannot go with following hunters, but seriously, let try mob-like stuff in the supernatural universe. It has been overdone and knowing CW they will bring in too many teens and ruin it more.
Flag
Don't totally disagree but they've made the bulk of their hunters so cookie cutter that a show about them would be same old, same old. I would say Garth is the most stand out hunter with his methods, choice of music, etc... but he's basically treated as comedy relief and comedy relief characters can't carry their show. Still say Cas is the best choice for a spin off but probably not until "Supernatural" ends. Still, the stuff with the angels and all would make a good ongoing plot for such a spinoff. :)
Flag
Oh god. what's with CW and their hero's dads??
Flag
FOR GOD'S SAKE.. CHANGE THE TITLE NAME.. IT SOUNDS LIKE A PROGRAM ON DISCOVERY CHANNEL!
Flag
I smell Cancel Axe on this one.
Flag
Hopefully it will be good, I'm praying to the CW gods that they make this just as good as supernatural but with its own significance differences.
Flag
I always thought they should of called the spin-off....Supernatural:Nightstalkers or something else rather than 'Tribes'.Anyway,hope it's as good as the original.
Flag
The front page cuts this off so all it says is "Supernatural: Tribes may not have any Winchesters but it will have Daddy". I thought to myself wtf, how will John be in this show? Now I'm disappointed.
Flag
I saw 'DADDY' and thought! Oh! Jeffrey Dean Morgan!! Now I'm sad.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I thought the same thing, lol. Actually, I didn't even get so far as 'issues' in the title and thought.... whaaa! they're bringing his ghost back!??

I should probably read the whole thing before I react, lmao!
Flag
THAT I would watch.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members