Supernatural

Criss Angel Is A Douchebag

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Jan 22, 2009 on The CW

• An examination of aging and anachronisms

The main thrust of the episode is the writers/producers having fun with Criss Angel, obviously. But still, the main bit is looking at the washed-up lives of three aging magicians. Barry Bostwick gives a strong performance, and it was fun seeing John Rubinstein working alongside his son (kind of). Richard Libertini was kind of wasted. The resolution was definitely out of left field.

Unfortunately, the episode is a bit padded with Dean's trip to a S&M club, and the brothers being arrested (wouldn't their files get pulled, whether Jay dropped the charges or not?). And there's the new "Sam keeps a secret from Dean" subplot. Which never works, so why bother?
  • Funny idea... Love Sammy... But over all...

Like Family Remains, there was something about this episode that I didn't like, which meant I couldn't enjoy it as well. It still wasn't a bad episode. I couldn't beleive it was Charlie all a long. I felt so SO bad for Jay. I didn't really like the title because I've never been partial to the words douche bag. But my absolute favourite part was when Sam decided to pursue his evil intentions again, leaving Dean behind at a bar. I almost cried, and my mind kept picturing little angels with white wings chasing him. It's going to be SO sad when Dean finds out what little brother's up to... again. Over all, not bad, but still not my favourite.
  • Average for supernatural, but great by the standards of any other show!

This episode is a little slower than some but it is a solid installment. It has the feeling of a murder mystery, as the brothers sort through the facts and suspects to figure out who is behind the dark magic that is killing people off gruesomely yet intriguingly. The fact that the guest stars are in their sixties gets Sam reflecting on where his and Dean's lives will end up many years from now. I got the feeling that like his mom, Sam has hopes to get out of the hunting life some day. It was clever of the writers to have a show about magicians - an interesting contrast with the real magic. The episode is worth watching.
  • Was expecting better.

Supernatural is one of the best shows on TV and this season has proved to us that, that is true but this episode was nothing special. The last few episodes have been really good so when this one came around it seemed like a bit of a drop in quality. The main theme of the episode was about Magic I found it a bit boring, there wasn't much of Sam and Dean in this episode it mostly focused on the Magicians. The ending was really good so that saves this episode from being a lower rating. 8.5 out of 10 .
  • Amongst all of the macrocosmic bluster and gargantuan set pieces, it's easy to forget that, at its core, Supernatural has a great deal to say about the human condition: about birth, death and all that stuff in between.

'Criss Angel is a Douchebag' is effectively a vehicle designed to get Sam from reluctance to do whatever it takes to harness his psychic abilities, to fully compliant participant in Ruby's conspicuous machinations and while, from a character perspective, it works beautifully, it is somewhat maddening that by episode's end, we still have no clue as to what exactly it is that Sam is so wary of taking part in. Could it be that he needs to off a few humans? Reduce their lifespan? Suck Ruby's blood for twenty four hours straight? Or maybe even pay a visit to The Chief like his brother? (A delightfully humorous moment that: believe me, these places are real, just as disturbing as depicted and often go by the name The Eagle *ahem*) Quite deliberately, the production staff hold the answer back, teasing us for yet another week and ensuring that we'll continue to tune in in the coming weeks in hopes of finding out. We're currently in the midst of Supernatural's 'stand alone' run; typically, following the Christmas break, it takes a good three or four episodes before we get back to the juicy mythology stuff, but that just makes their ultimate arrival all the more pant-wettingly exciting. In the meantime, cast and crew work their little socks off to create slices of thoroughly enjoyable independent entertainment and Julie Beige's episode is no exception. This is a lovingly written script, dripping with sadness, melancholy and regret. The dialogue given to the three elderly magicians is absolutely stunning, perfectly capturing the world-weariness of those whose best days are (supposedly) behind them. The actors playing these parts are absolutely superb too: within less than five minutes, you about their plight, you want them to prove time, fate and the current generation wrong. It's a beautifully sad piece, the kind of story that leaves you with a significant weight on your shoulders, but one that you're quite comfortable carrying. Amongst all of the macrocosmic bluster and gargantuan set pieces that we've been treated to this season, it's easy to forget that, at its core, Supernatural has a great deal to say about the human condition: about birth, death and all that stuff in between. 'Criss Angel is a Douchebag' is a wonderful reminder of that fact.
  • That old black magic

This week's ep featured the bros encountering the old stage magicians scene, something very interesting for this show. And it had some really nice touches here and there, such as providing us with a rather poignant second-character story, a great Sam/Ruby moment, some very funny stuff with Dean, and even the (unnecessary) counting of ways in which the word "douchebag" can be incorporated into an episode. Otherwise, the whole pace of the ep just left me with a feeling of boredom. But not necessarily bad.

Let me start with the "douchebag" thing. I mean, seriously? Okay, yes, it WAS funny - the first couple times it was mentioned. But when it started to feel a little pushed, that's when I was thinking, "Umm...what are they trying to say? That that guy was a douchebag?" I got it already. Next.

As for the secondary characters, a huge chunk of the ep tended to focus a great deal on them. Initially, I simply scoffed at it, but actually the more into the ep I got, I sorta realized that what was happening with these people was a kind of reflection on the brothers themselves. This ep, for me at least, was a kind of perspective Dean and Sam have about their futures in the hunting business. Especially Sam. Way back in season 1's 'Shadow', Dean remarked that there can be nothing for him to do after they had killed Azazel because he knows there will always be something to hunt, whereas Sam was ready to return to normalcy. This week, the same logic is applied again. Sam was ready to give up using his powers, even when Ruby practically begged him to use them by reminding him of the dire situation regarding Lilith, Lucifer and the seals. But after learning (or, realizing, rather) that he could be stuck doing this the rest of his life - long into his old age - he sings a different tune. By ep's end he is ready to follow Ruby's advice and end this so that he won't have to do this when he is old, something he really has no desire for. So, it is clear that even though he has embraced the hunting lifestyle a lot stronger over the past few years and has become very dedicated to it, there's still that part of him that obviously yearns to be free of it, too. Dean, on the other hand, still seems as if this is the life he was meant to do, as is Sam. He knows the stakes and the inevitable outcome of such, as evidenced when he tells Sam, "It ends bloody and sad. That's the life". Which, of course, Sam wants no ending like that. Even with everything Dean has been through, there's still that part of him that makes him think he will be stuck with the hunting biz ad infinitum. But after hearing Jay's thoughts of being old and alone, both brothers could take this as an incentive of sorts to figure out where to really go with their lives - or realize they may end up as "washed-up old men" like Jay, Charlie and Vernon.

Another interesting thing of note was one line that Jay told the boys about "giving his brother a gift only to have it thrown back in his face" (or something to that effect). This is a direct reflection on what Sam and Dean have done in the past. Obviously, all the sacrifices they've made for each other, but each one ultimately causing the other (or, rather, both) a great deal of grief after the fact. And now, with Sam wanting back into action, this little trend of the brothers Winchester is sure to continue.

I gotta admit, the ending twist with Charlie was a bit of a surprise, but nothing all that....that. Really, the only qualm I have about it was the immortality thing. I'm sorry, I just don't buy that the distorted doc from last season's 'Time Is On My Side' couldn't be killed, but Charlie can? Even if it is done with black magic? Other than that, it was kind of a nail-biting climax with Sam and the "Table of Death".

Bits and Pieces:
    - Loved when Dean teased Sam about Sam's little "magic phase" from his childhood. Classic sibling ribbing!
    - Arguably the most hilarious part of the episode was when Dean was tricked by Vernon and Charlie into going to the gay club to meet the "Chief". And as funny as that was, it still makes one wonder: what exactly IS Dean's safe word? Just curious....
    - Re: the above, for that matter, makes you wonder how (or even why) Vernon and Charlie knew about the gay club to begin with. Hmmmm.....

I'm going to rate this a 9 as it just wasn't my favorite ep. But like I said, it wasn't bad. Just boring to me. But still had it's intriguing moments. Next week, we get a glimpse into something we've all wanted to know for a long time: the Winchesters going to school in their youth. I absolutely can NOT wait for that one!
  • A job forces Sam to face a bleak future and again opens the door for Ruby's demonic seduction.

This episode taps into something mentioned in passing before – you stop being a hunter when you die or retire before that happens. Dean knows the score, always has, and knows with absolute certainty he will die bloody (it won't be the first time!) but Sam still clings to the hope that maybe they can still have normal lives, if only they could stop Armageddon. It was Sam who said in 'Wish' that he couldn't be that guy again but seems it's still in him, deep down. Not only does this case deeply upset Sam, but makes him look at his future, creating a vulnerability that Ruby exploits yet again.

I do believe Ruby is on our side and she believes that whatever it is she wants Sam to do will help, but she seems so focused on the war that she's ignoring the danger to Sam. Also, she's not really looking for alternatives, pushing whatever 'solution' she has as the only option. Whatever this is, it's major since they were talking about it separately from Sam's 'psychic' thing so this is the same something Ruby hinted at before – "You know what you have to do!"; Sam: "What if there was a way we could win?" If this is as bad as it sounds, this could be what pushes Sam over the edge, he's been dancing on the edge of the blade since Dean died, doing things he swore he would never do. Ruby just keeps pushing, getting him to cross boundaries and setting up new ones, and step by step Sam's powers build and the darkness in him increases. I am torn between Ruby not thinking that far ahead and thinking that she's building Sam up to something, she's held things back from him before. Since I think she's on our side, I don't think it's the mantle of Antichrist, but maybe she's got another equivalent? I definitely am getting a 'plan' vibe from her, she's up to something, something she is not telling Sam about. After the last time we saw her, I actually started warming to her a little but here she's back in fine form – all the suspicions and wariness I had about her before are back 100%. She's absolutely got an agenda.

Ruby has her M.O. and it works this time as it has every other time: she tells Sam a new option regarding his powers, then leaves for a while, letting him stew over it. Sam starts wondering if it will work and the more he thinks about it, the less unsure he becomes – that's when he starts hinting about it to Dean – then when Ruby shows up again and gives him a nudge, he gives in. As with every other time, Sam has agreed to do what she wants him to do. Ruby seems to be uniquely able to tap into Sam's hero complex, by giving him a viable option that will solve a problem and save lives (usually including Dean's, Sam's greatest weakness), Sam will talk himself into it until he actually does it. Sam means well but as Dean has continuously warned, his powers come from evil and using them opens him up to that evil, but Sam convinces himself he can fight it. Look at how much Sam's changed in the past couple of years and tell me he can.

This episode also sets up a disturbing parallel, something neither Sam nor Dean could miss – that Jake killed his best friend/'brother' because Charlie went bad – Dean's been in the position to do just that since John laid Sam's destiny on him, even Sam himself made Dean promise to do it if he goes evil. This is also Dean's future should that come to pass – growing old alone. That could be another part of what Sam's running from, but instead of refusing to submit – as he did the last time Ruby brought it up – he surrenders, running toward the destiny that terrifies him. Sam seems desperate to end all of this, willing to use his demonic powers despite the risk, gambling that he can control whatever he's about to awaken in himself. There was a time when his powers so terrified him that he refused to use them at all. Sam's growing so weary of the fight – both the war and his internal battle – that he'll do anything to end it.

Why is it Ruby that shows up and announces the unbelievably bad news? 34 of the 66 seals are toast. Where is Castiel?? He got Dean out of Hell for a reason, shouldn't he be giving Dean instructions? Like, oh I don't know, maybe what seals are being attacked?! I gotta agree with Ruby on that one, Dean and Sam should be fighting the war, not worrying about comparatively minor jobs like this one. But in their defense, without angelic assistance, they don't even know where to start. This is not helping Sam's feelings of desperation, just gives him a hard push toward Ruby's proposal.

Next week looks like we'll finally get some background on the boys' teenage years, including a question I always had: how many schools did they go to over the years and how long would they stay in one place? I always love finding out more about their childhood.

This episode has some great scenes and superb dialogue – "Sammy, it ends bloody… or sad. That's just the life."

We've been here at the edge before, so close to Sam becoming evil, but always Dean saves the day by saving his brother. Are the writers going to take us to the edge again and back off, or go to the next level? We're halfway through season 4, the writers have to start building toward the finale soon (and we're all speculating that this season is going to be Sam vs Dean) so perhaps this is the beginning. Can't wait to see what happens next! I see there's a new writer in town, fresh blood is always welcome (no pun intended) and the result is a very provocative episode in regard to Sam.
  • Sam and Dean encounter magicians.

I'll start off by saying the episode was great. I do see that there's a little tension between the brothers when they start talking about real magic due to Sam's abilities. I want Sam to use his powers because he could do alot of good with them, but Ruby seems to want to make him evil. I personally like Ruby and Sam together but not at the cost of Sam's sanity and purity.

I just want Sam and Dean to get along again and I kinda want something to happen with the new "Angels and Demons" war story line because they haven't done anything with it in the past couple episodes.

Great job everyone. Looking forward to watching another episode.
  • This was an okay episode.

This was the second week in a row that I felt that SPN was just okay. The episode was really slow and very predictable. It was really annoying that various characters kept saying what is a douchebag. The only interesting aspect of the episode was trying to figure out who was responsible for the murders. The most amusing part of the episode was when Dean was sent to a gay bar. For some reason it reminded me of the scene in Police Academy where a similiar thing occurred. The acting was superb as always but something was just missing from this episode. The first half of this season was so great. I just hope the latter half of the season will improve.
  • Awesome title, awesome episode

First and foremost, I must give the producers and writers credit for choosing one of the most unusual titles in recent memory. I'm sure this one raised a few eyebrows. Maybe it's just how I was brought up, but that was always considered a relatively vile thing to say in public. Times change, however, and I suppose this is just another example of how much they change. Besides, it's not like they're particularly wrong.

Much like the previous episode, this is a stand-alone affair with plenty of connections to the overall arc. And, as usual, the strength of the episode is not the case itself, but how it pertains to the Brothers Winchester. (I know I consistently repeat myself on that note, but it's important to reinforce what makes this show something more than it appears.)

This was all about Sam and his realization that the current war is not going well. If Lilith is more than halfway to her goal (and almost exactly halfway through the season, of course), and the angels are losing the battle to keep the seals from opening, then Sam has a pretty damn good reason to be worried about the future. And unlike Dean, who has always embraced the manly sacrifice side of Hunting, Sam doesn't want the only option to be "fight 'till we can't".

And that is a new and compelling form of temptation, above and beyond everything else that Ruby has tossed his way. More than that, it's precisely the sort of temptation that never, ever ends well in this kind of story. There's always a way to win the war, once and for all, if only this one price is paid in the process. And that price, it appears, will be Sam's willing embrace of the dark side.

It's been a long time coming, and I'm not sure this particular experience should have been necessary to that decision. Sam has had plenty of chances and reasons to embrace his inner darkness, and he's already taken several steps in that direction during Dean's time in hell. So I view this more of a resumption.

Sam and Ruby were dancing around exactly what it was they would need to do for Sam to gain enough power to take down Lilith. It was enough that I felt like I was forgetting some detail from earlier in the season. Was it Sam's clandestine exorcising, or was it sleeping with Ruby? Both are disturbing and fun, and both will cause Dean to have a fit when he inevitably finds out.

Speaking of Dean (and not of his hilarious encounter with Chief), this seems to tie into the reason why he was chosen to return from Hell. The angels are not going to be happy with Sam at all, and they may decide that Dean has failed at keeping Sam in line. Dean may be forced to choose between supporting his brother and stopping him. That's hardly new speculation, but it has been a long time coming.
  • Fantastic!

What can I say, the title of this episode alone made it worth watching. I can't believe how many times douchbag was said in this episode. I always like when they rty to mix magician stuff with real magic. It always turns into a good episode, whatever the series. I just wish the n ew Ruby would die, she is such a bad actress, it's not even funny. I loved how Dean referred to the fact that both he and Sam have died and come back to life. I hadn't realized that before. Stupid me. If the Angels are so concerned about the 66 seals being broken they should just tell Dean where or what they are instead of just sitting around on their holy a**es waiting for Lucifer to get them. End rant.
  • It's could be better!

Hi guys, I'm so sorry to say that in the being, but I hope more, it's not a bad episode because supernaural always awesome, but they're could be better!

1° - Until dean's seasson masoquist it's hilarius, but the rest come on! immortality it's topic so full!

2º- The metaphor it's presents all the epsidode, in the convesaction beteween and sam and dean, Do you think it sam never gone die? and the end that's so clear if sam becomes evil dean makes a decition!

3º Ruby, alive and flash! come on! I lose my pacient by the actress, I want kate kassidy back! jesus crist!

4°- Sam come in the awuay no return with his power!

I hope the next epsode better!

kiss cau!
  • Whether you want it or not it is a classic. Criss Angel is there after all

Loved the ep i must say. I always liked magic, card tricks, illusions, etc etc etc and this show has a bit of allof them. The "Jay" character is a great actor and always liked his performances throughout other acting performances; every time i see him at least. The "case" itself was pretty interesting. Not very deep regarding the kind of book used and stuff which is always cool when looking at demons and things alike which is something i really like; but i must say i was surprised at the end when the bad guy was found.
    And Criss Angel a Douchebag? Agreeeeeeeeeeeeed :)
  • It was not a spectacular episode.

I feel that the acting is always superb. I like Ruby in this episode. There is character development for Sam/Jared. Otherwise, the episodes feels like a filler. I am hoping that next week's episode will have Castiel in it. I like Barry Bostwick. He did lots of mini-series in the 1980's. The storyline could have gotten better. He could not kill his friend. Else, he and his other friend Vernon go to the other side. The aging aspect adds to the character development for Sam to choose to go after Lilith with Ruby. I have a strong feeling that Ruby is setting Sam up.
  • a wonderful, nice episode

Supernatural is finally back in shape with another really good episode after the last painfully bad episode. This time, Supernatural is back to being about supernatural events, cornering this time on magicians. Three old magician friends are being phased out of their careers by the younger, more hip Chris Angelish magicians of this generation. It is current somewhat as people move away from simple parlor tricks to more flashy, televised events like David Blane. More traditional magicians have to fight to survive. How these three made it all the way to 2009 is a miracle. The friends contemplate growing old and not doing what they love anymore. That all changes when one of them perform magic that looks all too real. And unfortunately for the younger, cockier magicians in town, the magic is real for them because every death-defying trick has deadly consequences. In comes Sam and Dean, stumbling on their way looking for a case. Sam used to be a fan of magic tricks which Dean calls him on. Since Dean has been in the profession longer than Sam, Dean's sickened by these cheap parlour tricks that can slide on "black" magic. And in the hunting profession, black magic is black magic with evil powers pulling the strings. Witches gain their powers by selling their souls, not to mention the faith healer in season one who manipulated a reaper to perform the miracles, which is oddly similiar to this episode. Dean is justified in being miffed. Dean has healed, somewhat, from last episode after admitting that he felt good torturing hell victims. He's not over it, he's just not talking about it. This episode shifts over to being about Sam and his struggle. Finally, the issue of the brothers ducking around the oncoming Apocalypse is addressed. Ruby storms in in the middle of the magician investigation, demanding that Sam get his act together. Lillith has broken 34 seals already, which in last count, is slightly over half. Ruby tries to convince Sam that the time is right, they have to stop Lillith and actually go after her. And to do that, Sam has to rewaken his domant powers, an issue he's refusing. His decision is partly based on Dean's disgust on anything demon related, especially involving Sam, but personally, he doesn't want to lose control and become this terrible monster Dean and the angels and himself are worried he will become. Ruby informs Sam that he has to do this or else global destruction will happen. For those who are on the fence on whether Ruby is noble or evil, her speech with Sam didn't help matters and did sound eerily suspicious, like she doesn't care about the Apocalypse, she just wants to use Sam for her own ends. There is a sadness in the episode, with the magicians and the brothers, as they are burned out of their career and feel old age creeping up on them. For the magicians, they want to feel young again, be immortal, have the same passion they have for their jobs as in the old days. For Sam and Dean, they wander if they will be hunting at age sixty, still fighting monsters and it's a future that's not livable for either. Dean feels he'll be retired by then and Sam, he hates the idea of going that long in a low-paying, emotionally-draining lifestyle. The brothers investigate and the deadly tricks turn out to be the work of evil tarot cards. That's a new twist. Sam and Dean realize how strong the magicians' friendship is between each other, they're family, and they'd die for each other. Pretty subtle but close parrallel between Sam and Dean. They confront the performer of the tricks, Jay, and one of his friends is pulling the strings. There is a nice Dean metaphor comparing magic to crack, how once someone is hooked on it, they won't stop and become completely unrecognizable. Poor Sam didn't need to hear that. Jay confronts his friend, Vernon, after Charlie appears to die at Vernon's hands but in a shocker, it turns out Charlie is the puppeter. He's been pulling tarot card spells right and left. He's also found a spell that reverses age. With the competetion dead and immortality at the rein, the magicians can reclaim their glory days. He offers his friends the same power. Jay refuses. He understands he can't reclaim what is lost, the glory days are gone. Sam and Dean walk in to stop Charlie but Charlie almost kills them with his tarot spells. Charlie is stopped by Jay, who performs one final trick, ending his friend's life. Sad. Vernon leaves Jay forever and Jay has given up on tricks. Dean and Sam thank him for his help but Jay feels miserable. He surrendered immortality, killed his friend, and surrendered the life that made him happy. He's miserable. Based on all the sadness at the end of the season four episodes, I kind of want an upbringing ending for those now. Jay killing his friend, his "brother", I sense a bit of foreshadowing if Sam and Dean will be forced to fight each other. As for Sam, Charlie was the final straw. Sam subtly realizes that his own glory days of the hunt are gone. He's sick and tired of hunting. He will not, cannot hunt forever. At the end, he gets into a car with Ruby. I'm guessing they're either resuming training or locating Lillith or both. A minor point to make: I don't see the sense of putting Sam and Dean into death situations that they will wiggle out of, especially since you know both will survive. Dean can't die because the angels need him and Sam can't die because he has a part to play in the Apocalypse. It was a nice, wonderful change-of-pace episode that is a nice break from ghosts or angels. Next week, Sam and Dean go back to high school. Sounds promising.
  • The Winchester brothers discover that a stage magician is using real magic... and it is turning deadly.

Jay, an over-the hill magician appears to revive his career through a series of death-defying acts. The catch is that every time he performs an act, a person dies in the same manner as the act. Sam and Dean arrive on the case and begin their investigation. While Dean is out, Ruby comes to Sam and tells him that the Apocalypse is coming closer, and that he is the only one who can defeat Lilith, but he needs to embrace his powers(the plot thickens!). After Sam and Dean confront Jay, they discover that he is not the one who is killing people, but it is his friend Charlie instead. It turns out that Charlie discovered a spellbook while he was with Barnum's show, and the last spell he discovered was one that appeared to make him immortal, which Sam and Dean discover the hard way. However, Jay kills Charlie with his own magic, but later admits that he will regret it for the rest of his life. At the end of the ep, Sam gets into a car with Ruby, saying "I'm in."

Common sense would have told me to give this episode an 8 or 8.5, but it's Supernatural, what can I say? My favorite part of this episode was when Sam and Dean have their conversation about aging, and wondering if they will live to see 60. I liked Dean's comment "I never want to get old." I agree completely. Sam is going to start using his powers again! This should get interesting. Can't wait for next week's episode. I always wondered what the Winchesters were like in high school. Apparently, we get to find out.

P.S. If you haven't already, check out the Supernatural- Boulevard of broken songs video on Youtube. I found it completely by accident, but I was amazed by it. Personally, I think a classic rock mix would have been more appropriate, but it is a good video nonetheless. Check it out!
  • So the boys are back on a regular schedule and this episodes main focus was on magic.

So the boys are back on a regular schedule and this episodes main focus was on magic. In this episode we had people dying the same way a magician was supposed to during his tricks. Warning contained in the review below are some spoilers! So this episode does a good job of trying to fool us, it tries to lead us to a likely suspect, and we are lead to believe that that person is the reason for all the killings. In the episode this happens twice, but both times we find out that it's not who we think it is. The real person behind the magical deaths (pardon the pun) turns out to be the guy who we first suspected and later brushed off because of his death. This was a pretty good episode overall and there was a bit of main story fit in, but just enough to tease. I have a feeling soon we will get an episode all based on the main story, and I can't wait to find out what Sam and Ruby have planned.
  • In this filler episode, Sam and Dean travel to Iowa where not all magic is card tricks and slight of hand.

What can I say. This episode is on par with Bugs with rather poor writing and lackluster character portrayals by some well known guest stars. The story had a few funny moments, gratuitous smirking, and a bit of a teaser about some escapade that Sam will be pursuing with Ruby, but all in all it just could not make up for the feeling of a filler episode-and a blase one at that.
    Sam and Dean investigate the death of a magician's younger, more successful competition... all of whose deaths coincide with a phenomenal magic act that can't be humanly possible. Tarot cards are found on each of the victims leading the Winchesters to uncover an unlikely culprit.
    There's black magic involved and a convoluted backstory of youth and immortality. Unfortunately, it couldn't overcome the feeling of drudgery in watching the story unfold. The pace was too slow, the story was disjointed, nothing really made that much sense even when pieced together.
    The only thing this episode did was to introduce yet another secret that Sam is hiding from Dean- a secret even the viewer isn't in on. But it involves Ruby...and it can't be good. Much like this episode...
  • hum first I like to say what is sam thinking joining to ruby against lillith I read some spoilers oh my I just cant talk about it anyway this episode was awesome dean almost chocking jared and jensen did a fantastic job can't wait for more wait for more!!

wow this episode was excellent funny first I like say about our sammy and ruby first he said no then what changed his mind guess because like he said I don't want to do this when i'm an old man i mean he's almost twenty seven can't blame him for that but his choices hum have to question them maybe he loves ruby just a hunch on that one all in all this episode was spectacular and can't wait until next week when sam and dean return to their old high school I guess ruby and sam just went to talk will dean have to stop sam we shall see what happens but I know dean will not be able to kill his baby brother he just won't be able to do it if sam turns dark side and I doubt he will let the angels hurt his little brother well thats about it until next week
  • The boys investigate the deaths that reflect cards of the TArot and the illusions of a second chance charlie magician.

funniest part about this ep was Chief and the safeword... I don't know maybe it's me, but though I loved seeing Barry Bostwick againn I just didn't care much for the ep. Frank 'n Furter was more diabolical. No offense to the writer. I just didn't think much of it. Best thing about it was Dean's "Gulp" moment at the mention of a need for a 'safeword' No, I take it back...sorta, there was a moment at the end when Barry Bostwick's character traded the whole deck for the magician card... that sent a little tingle of "good for him" through me. Maybe it is just me but this ep really just didn't tingle my supernatural senses. This whole ep just felt flat... there wasn't a single genuine moment...Sorry, it's just my humble after all. No fault to anyone. It's probably me. thanks to all the kast and krew for their hard work, and as always special love to my boys.

Maybe next week.