Supernatural

Crossroad Blues

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Nov 16, 2006 on The CW

• this was a good ep

in this ep of the show supernatural they come accoss this crossroads and turns out they find out that people were making deals and they were being killed not so long after they made them and dean and sam go there to check it out and they find out that a man is going to die for it and dean wants to make a deal to save him and then the deamon that comes startes to tell information about there dad this was a very good ep and i thought it was one of the best of season 2 and it was intense and interesting
  • Demons

In this case we're dealing with another demon, but not the one that Sam and Dean are looking for. Something feels off about this episode; it feels less structured and organized than other episodes. All the cases of death in the beginning felt pretty pointless like they didn't really accumulate to much outside of giving the Winchester brothers their next clue to solving the case. The victims were basically without a soul. It just felt like too many characters were introduced, and the Bluesman guy wasn't all too interesting. Things didn't get better until the end when Dean showed off some impressive acting with his deep emotional connection with his dad that remains strong.
  • Good episode.

In this episode Sam and Dean find out they are dealing with people that have made deals with a crossroads demon and the time is up on their deal. Dean wants to stop a guy from dying by making his own deal with the demon and it ends up to be a very enlightening conversation. Dean is told about what John did for him.

It has been a while since I saw this epidode but I think Sam and Dean found a way to save that guy. When Dean tells Sam what the demon told him Sam wants to know if he was seriously considering making a deal.
  • This episode was an emotional episode but it was boring.

7.1
    This episode was about several people making deals with a demon at the crossroads at Lloyd's Bar. After ten years pass hell hounds come to collect their souls. This storyline was used to explore how Dean was feeling about his suspicion that his father had made a deal with the demon in order to save his life. Sam's and Dean's suspicion about what their father had did was confirmed in this episode. Additional information was revealed about exactly where John Winchester was. He was being tormented in hell. Jensen Ackles really did a good job in the scene where the demon was telling him this and trying to get him to make a deal to bring his father back. Dean was tempted but ended up not doing it. I have to admit that I was kind of confused about who had first summoned the demon. Since it started in the 1930's, I thought that the musician had summoned the demon instead of the painter. This episode covered a lot of ground but I found myself bored. Supernatural isn't even scary anymore. Last season the episodes were a better mix of action and character development. This season seems to be all character development and little action. Don't get me wrong I like character development but I think the right mix of character development and action makes for better episodes.
  • Selling souls

Supernatural
    Season 2
    Episode 8: Crossroad Blues
    Sam and Dean investigate a town where people start dying and discover that the people in there are making deals with demons. A crossroad demon reveals to Dean how his father gave his life to save Dean.

Cool, entertainning, interesting, amazing episode. I really liked it, I wouldnt say one of the bests of the season (or the whole series) but yes, it was rlly good. It had its fun and comedy too. I laughed rlly hard when Dean showed Sam the picture of the hell hound and said: "I bet those dogs can hump the crap out of your leg." Classic!
  • Started off a little slow, but otherwise a decent enough episode

It's amazing how Supernatural has been able to take old folklore and horror stories and incorporate them into the Winchester's issues. The individual hunts that Sam and Dean go on are much more personal in ways. Instead of just going around and saving people, the hunts end up teaching them something and help them come to some sort of realization. This episode continued that. There was a clear connection between what happened with Dean and his father and what happens at the end and the way that Dean deals with the reaper.

As I mentioned earlier, the episode is a little slow at the beginning. The hunt this week was certainly interesting, but it wasn't the greatest. What made the episode better was, once again, the brothers. Watching Dean as he descends into sadness and anger has been quite an experience, and it makes for some riveting television. Sam has it right when he tells Dean that he's scary when he acts as if his life isn't worth anything. His dad's sacrifice haunts him, and he feels like he has to return the favor.

I think perhaps the most interesting fact was learning that John may be in hell. It was sort of haunting, to think that this man, the man who is responsible for taking out so many evil things, has had to deal with living in the worst place ever. I could chills just thinking about it.

I've mentioned before that I wish they would get back to the main storyline with the yellow eyed demon, but I think I was a little blind to the fact that they really are doing so. It's just done in subtle ways. Overall, I enjoyed the episode.. not as much as other episodes this season, but it was pretty solid.
  • One of the most beautiful episodes of Season Two.

"Crossroad Blues" is not only an awesome episode in its own right. It is only the foundation of Season Two finale, "All Hell Breaks Loose", and Season Three overarching plot. It is a key episode in Supernatural own mythology and a deep, compelling character study which once again delves in Sam and Dean's psychologies to develop their personality, their struggle with their very soul and their relationship.

The supernatural story, about people making deals with Crossroad Demons to fulfill their innermost desires, is stylish, atmospheric and creepy. The Louisiana ambiance provides like the perfect icing on the cake, with its Robert Johnson myth and its hoodoo folklore. Furthermore, the script gifted us two great characters, George Darrow, a lonely painter wonderfully portrayed by John Lafayette, and the sly, vicious and subtle Demon itself, brought here to life by a perfect Jeanette Suza. The direction, by the always great Steve Boyum, who directed some of my favorite episodes on the show, is top-notch: grainy and misty during the '30s flashback, it displays a really unsettling quality in the segments set in the present. Particularly, he did a perfect work with the invisible Hellhounds and the death omens - scary, shivering, eerie. And the cinematography highlighted this emotions with powerful chiaroscuro and sudden bright daylights that manages to be as unnerving as the nighttime sequences.

I really can't express how much I appreciate Sera Gamble's writing, which is always clever, witty and meaningful. I really think that she is the writer who capture better Sam and Dean chemistry, their peculiar characters and their struggling/loving relationship. Plus, her script are always morally ambiguous, ethically challenging and deeply emotional. Every episode she pens becomes immediately one of my favorites (with a sole exception during Season Four), and she has the unique gift to be able to lavish her story with just a pinch of eroticism that makes them even more irresistible. A final, honorable mention must go to the brilliant way with which her and Eric Krike wrote Robert Johnson story into Supernatural own mythological canon. It gave it some much depth, so much realism that I really was blown away. All in all, a perfect - there's really no other word - episode.
  • Let's make a deal.

The crossroad demon can give you want ever you want, for a small price - your soul.

Dean battles with the deal his father made to save his life. He feels guilty and somewhat betrayed by his father. His Dad's legacy was supposed to go out swinging, not make a deal with the demon.

Dean may have wanted to make a deal with the Demon, but knowing that it was a really bad idea does not. It is too bad he doesn't see with this much clarity when confronted a similar choice down the road.

Great episode with lots of humor and drama.
  • Poor Dean … poor John … poor Winchesters … a heart wrenching episode.

A breathtaking episode full of angst and sorrow, well written, very well acted. I think we all already know how wonderful an actor Jensen Ackles is and Crossroad Blues only proves it even more. "You think dad made one of those deals? Hell I've been thinking it" … no short changing Jared either, the guy is amazing. But it was Jensen's episode to shine, and damn he did. My heart was breaking with every look on Dean's face when he was trapping the crossroads demon, he didn't have to say anything, his bewildered gaze said it all. For a moment I thought he was going to strike the deal just to get out of that misery, but I think deep inside he knew it was the wrong move, and he wasn't about to do to his family what his dad did to him (wish that conviction lasted …). The final scene in the car spoke volumes about both boys, Dean's growing desperation with his burden and Sam's worry for his brother's sanity.

And how they're able to mix such sorrow with genuinely sweet humor is beyond me, the ultimate talent in my opinion. The first scene between the brothers, Dean accusing Sam of being jealous, the "MySpace" dialogue … I swear that look on Dean's face was the cutest most innocent look I've ever seen … Kudos to Sera Gamble, I'm one of the people who don't always find her work perfect but she comes damn close with this one. Steve Boyum as a director wasn't bad either for his first episode of SPN … something tells me we'll be getting more great installments from him in the future (Yeah I'm psychic :D)
  • Black dog.

It started out pretty slow in the beginning, but in the end it turned out to be one hell of a ride. It started out slow when all they were doing was investigating for the first half of the show, they had suspenseful parts when the black dog was trying to kill people, once again, everyone is connected. I love how the scenes kept changing back & forth, Sam trying to save the successful business man, and Dean trying to make a fake deal with the demon, Sam saves the man, and Dean plays nicely well while he traps the demon. A good filler.
  • Keeps getting better and better

I didn't know what to expect from this episode but once I saw it I was very impressed. This show just amazes me every time. They come out with a great episode and when you don't think it can get any better they come out with something like this. What I like most about this show is how they work urban legends in into the story. This episode is one of the best of the season and it works well into what they are going to do in the season finale. I wish that we could see what they hell hounds look like. A great take on the Robert Johnson Legend.
  • Sam and Dean hear of successful people killing themselves/dying suddenly and decide to investigate. With the help of a well-known legendary story, what they uncover will have massive repercussions later on......

I love this episode - a real turning point in this season I feel, as it is the first time we come across the "Crossroads Demon" which, of course, plays a massively important part in the season finale. I love how the episode begins, with the story of Robert Johnson (check the legends guys!!!) and how the different characters in the episode all made deals for different reasons. I also think that the scene with Dean and the Crossroads Demon is amazingly well written, the dialogue is sharp and snappy and really adds that special something to the episode. A real winner.
  • Great episode!!

I think this episode was awesome. It's also very revealing. Dean finds out that their dad sacrificed himself to save Dean. One scene that I thought was great was how Dean was trying to trick the demon he summoned into a devil's trap. I can't believe Dean wanted to make a deal with a demon. Everyone knows you should never do that. While Dean is summoning the demon, Sam is trying to save Evan's life. I loved this episode. It was very well written. This show is the best show in the world. I just can't get enough of it. Overall, this was a really great episode. In which I loved. I can't wait to see what happens throughout the rest of the season.
  • Sam and Dean think they are on the trail of black dog, but in reality they are dealing with a crossroads demon. Mega Mondo Foreshadowing.

**Season 2 Spoilers**
    Watching this episode the second time around is harder than watching it the first time around. The second time around I know how season two ends. I know that this isn't the last we will see of the crossroads demon. This episode does give me hope that things will end ok for Dean – after all what is Supernatural without both Sam AND Dean? Anyway, that aside…

This was a really interesting episode. The plot line was really good, and Dean's issues with his dad making a deal for him really comes to the forefront. Him getting confirmation of his worst fears doesn't help his mantel stability any, but hey, angst is great for ratings.

One of the great things about this show is the writing. Dean really does want his father back. The demon twisting the knife about Dean's father most likely hurts Dean a lot. Dean probably does wake up every morning thinking "I can't do this anymore" as the demon said he did. The demon makes him a sweet deal. However, Dean doesn't lose focus on the primary objective and doesn't fall prey to the demon.

This is an ongoing theme of the show. The demons taunt Dean and he blows them off. Like the mental cruelty doesn't affect him. It makes you wonder what other kind of training they had growing up. Mental cruelty training?

The writing of this episode shows how well the story arc of season 2 is plotted out. The acting was also simply fantastic. This is a great episode – one that stands out and shines as an example of how great Supernatural really is.
  • One of my favorite episodes. Definately stands out!

"Crossroad Blues" is one of my favorite episodes of the series. It is a great classic story. The research and backstory was extensive and well thought out. I love that the one person they were able to save had sacraficed himself for someone else. Dean made an excellent point about the selfishness of the man's sacraficing himself for his wife, but I still think it was the ultimate gesture of his love for his wife. The soundtrack for his episode was great. I've always liked the music they play on Supernatural, but the use of the blues and the Johnson legend was inspired. The basic idea had been done before in movies and tv, but never so well. (If you liked the idea of the story, check out the movie "Crossroads" with Ralph Macchio)
  • Now this is what I love about Supernatural !!!

Dad's in hell after all...

This is another Dean-focused episode, you know... Dean dealing with the pain of losing his Dad? I would say "get over it, man wanted you to live, so live" but I kinda like watching Jensen sad, cause he's such a cutie.

This episode is focusing on one new modern legend - crossroads like a place for making a deal with devil. Few people did it in this episode, and all form different reasons - power, fame, talent, saving a dear person... It's pretty realistic... There are all kinds of people ready to do all kinds of things to get things like fame or power, but saddest thing about them is that most of them don't know how to find it.

I think that this episode was very deep, and very alike episodes from first season. That's why I love it.
  • I very much enjoyed Crossroad Blues. One of my favourites!

I really like this episode. I love watching and learning about crossroads and deal-making. It is really interesting. Even more so when Sam and Dean are involved. Our boys discover a series of deals being made right about the same time ten years ago, at a place called ‘Lloyd’s Bar’. Several people made deals with the crossroads demon for things like talent, and love. But they never went to consider the cost. They were selling their soul to the demon! Then ten years later a hellhound would come for them and take them to hell. A pretty sucky way to go. I particularly like this episode because they mention things like the ‘Robert Johnson Legend’. This stuff really interests me. But I cannot go past the time when Dean said to Sam at the café. “So what did you find out? You innocent harmless young man you.” Classic.
  • The Boys are on the hunt in Louisiana after a mysterious death, and discover that Demons Inc™ has released a new flavor of possession – Red Hot Cinnamon, the Deal-Making Edition. ...These episode descriptions are getting worse and worse, I know, sorry.

My ratings are all over the board. I might need to make myself a spreadsheet so I can have a list of the episodes and the ratings I give them in one easy-to-see list. Right now I just seem to be assigning an arbitrary number somewhere in the 9’s, since every episode keeps me mighty-well hooked on the show.

I’ve admitted previously that my big “fear factor” is the fear of not having enough oxygen – that’s why I hate diving, watching people drowning, watching people bury their heads in the sand, etc. However, I’ve got to admit that there’s something deliciously extra-spooky to me every time The Boys have dealings with demonic forces. There’s something much more inexorable, much more – well, diabolic, for lack of a better word – that is just deliciously creepy whenever demons and possessions come in to play. This may have something to do with the fact that I snuck a book on the making of the Exorcist out of the library when I was a little kid, without my parents’ knowledge, and it had some pretty gory descriptions of demonic possession, as well as post-production photos. I had nightmares. But other than that I’m well-adjusted (and available! Hahaha...just kidding).

In preparation for the next Harry Potter book coming out, I’ve been rereading the series so as to have a fresh memory of all the events leading up to the finale. The result of this is that for the first part of “Crossroad Blues,” before the boys had figured out they were dealing with a demon and her (his?/its? The demon probably takes possession of whichever gender is sexually pleasing to the target of the deal...) hellhounds, I could only think about Sirius Black. Grim indeed. Now for something completely different.

The show seems to have an interesting mythology about it, and I mean this more so than in the usual way ‘mythology’ is exposed, meaning the backstory of the Supernatural universe. The Boys use rituals: pagan, Christian, etc., even diagrams “straight from King Solomon” to capture demons, which would seem to suggest that there is a basis to religions and, if there is supernatural evil in the world, there is in some place supernatural good which seems to like watching humans take on evil on their own. St. Augustinian and Thomas Aquinus-ian discourse on the mentality of God and why evil might be allowed in the world aside, I found this concept interesting when The Boys were interviewing the disgruntled architect. He made a passing comment about how everyone genius seems to die at an early age, and while I think it was meant as a clue for leading the Winchesters to realizing these geniuses were bartering with a demon, the statement was not something new to me. I had a Latin teacher in high school who would expound at any chance about different experiences from her personal life, and the moral of one such story was that a young man, a genius whom she had known, had killed himself at the age of eighteen. There were more details that she knew about his suicide, but I can’t recall what precisely.

This statement made by the disgruntled architect, in addition to the disproving of faith healing and the possibility that the Children of the Corn have their powers through the good graces of the Yellow-Eyed Demon gave me pause because it seems in direct contradiction to the Catholic (and I don’t know if other Christians believe this also) idea of the Holy Spirit guiding humans through certain specialties and purposes. Rather, any type of gift or boon granted to humans seems to be some type of demonic plot. Perhaps this is just because of the nature of the show; Sam and Dean are only hunting evil, so that’s all we see, ergo that’s all that seems to be (a logical fallacy, of course).

I have some other random notes here about the different flavors of demon we’ve seen so far – one yellow-eyed, one red-eyed, multiple black-eyed. I would assume that this is some sort of caste system, and it’ll be interesting to see it further discussed later; I quickly googled and wiki’ed it to see what other people wrote, but all of the discussions quickly started turning to the season 2 finale and I’m still desperately trying to keep myself from spoilers. I also wrote down Faust, who obviously made a deal with the Devil, and I know there was something more I wanted to say about that than the obvious but instead I’ll just let you ponder that relic of sixteenth-century playwriting. After The Boys left the house of the artist who originally summoned the demon ten years ago, I recalled Missouri, the psychic from “Home.” Maybe it would be in the Winchesters’ best interest to find themselves an “Idiot’s Guide to Hoodoo,” as it seems the rituals therein have some pretty potent anti-Things that Go Bump powers. Finally, I chuckled at Dean’s door-kicking ways, reminiscent of the Dane Cook sketch. “We don’t even have a lock on that door...”
  • Dean and Sam find out more about Crossroads.

This episode is very informative. The whole episode is about learning something new about the crossroads. Every minute that passes is another minute that informs us about what deals are made there and with what demon. I love how Dean tricks the demon at the end. I was scared at first. He looked extremely interested in making the deal. I thought he would go for it when the demon hung his father's death above his head and then said that she could bring him back to life for 10 years and then Dean would croak. With Dean emotionally scarred from his father's death I thought he would take the deal. But he didn't. YA! Another wonderful episode.
  • Fantastic...I really loved the voodoo episode and I hope that in future seasson of Supernatural, voodoo may appear again.

In this episode Sam and Dean track down some peolpe that have made a pact with a demon in a Crossroad. In the beginning of the episode the famous blues guitarrist Robert Johnson has the same problem, he has made a pact with the demon and ten years later the demon wants Robert Johnson's life in exchange for his gift which is be able to play the guitar very well and be famous because of that. Sam and Dean manage to save a man that has exchanged his life for his wife life and the demon tells Dean that his father has done the same to save him from death.
  • Who let the helldawgs out?

Well, Eric Kripke and company have done it again. They have once more managed to rip a girl’s heartstrings out by giving us another powerfully emotional, super-creepy, bite-your-nails-while-sitting-on-the-very-edge-of-your-seat episode that leaves you wanting - no, SCREAMING - for more. This episode was simply terrible (in the “good” terrible way, of course) on all levels. And I, for one, can not get enough!

Last season I mentioned that one of the things I love about “Supernatural” is its tendency to have the characters really lay it out straight and deal. No metaphors, no beating around the bush, etc. They simply say what it is and nip it in the bud (or try to anyway). Most notably in this ep the parts where Sam confronts Dean over John’s death and deal with the Demon, and that demon girl revealing John’s true fate to Dean. We all know that the boys dealing with John’s death was far from over, especially for Dean. And so far this season we have seen Dean get angry and become dangerous over the fact and finally break down and bear a tremendous mountain of guilt over it. True, he spoke to Sam in ‘Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things’ that he suspected that John had made a deal with the Demon to save his (Dean’s) life, but they couldn’t know for sure. This ep confirms his suspicions - or, rather, fears. And it was done in such a vicious way. While the ghost story this week (as far as effects go anyway) were great and chilling, the scariest stuff was what went on with Dean. Since his breakdown in ‘CSPWDT’, Dean has given the impression that he may actually be dealing a lot better with John’s death. We all know better, of course, but the events in this ep open up some very ugly wounds and even rub salt into them. The most heartless, of course, being the way the demon girl told Dean about John’s real whereabouts. The actress was great, but the character (in her demon form, at least) was a bitty (being nice here!). Straight up. It was horrible the way she described John being in Hell to Dean, and watching him squirm in emotional agony over hearing this. Now, I’m not gonna open up a debate on this as there are all kinds of theories out there on what Hell is (or isn’t, to some peeps), but for the sake of the drama here let’s just put it like this: John’s apparently in a horrifying, frightening, painful place and suffering terribly. Whether she’s lying or not isn’t the point: it’s done, and now it will bring even more damage to Dean’s mental anguish and guilt, and being the child and hearing something like this about a parent has got to be devastating beyond words, so how can one ever get over that? All of this, therefore, setting the stage for a possible huge emotional (and perhaps physical) showdown between Dean and Sam later on.

Dean wants John back. He makes no bones about it. And who can blame him? I mean, not only is the man his father, but he’s also been the only and single most important human aspect in Dean’s life for a long time. Dean lost his mother at age 4, he lost Sam when Sam ran off to college, and because of his lifestyle he’s made no other real prolonged human connections throughout his growth (except for Cassie last year, but let’s not go there even if this is important). Still, he was with John a lot longer so of course this loss is gonna hurt like a mutha. However, he now has Sam back and has actually gotten close to him over the past year, so at least he’s not alone. And Sam is undeniably a huge part of Dean's fulfillment to go. Yet this is where more conflict comes into play as Dean is carrying the huge secret (obviously by now about Sam) and it may possibly be something that shatters their brotherly relationship even though Sam is the biggest human connection Dean has in his life at the present time. In fact, I have been noticing here and there how Dean seems to keep a bit of a subtle distance from Sam. Sure, he teases him and gets along with him as well as usual, but there has been something slightly off about how Dean treats his brother. I’m gonna guess it has something to do with the Big Secret mostly, but it could also be due to the fact that because of his guilt over John’s death that Dean may be scared to really get close to Sam as he may fear losing him as well, hence the Secret. Of course, I’m just speculating, but always something to at least consider, I guess.

What’s even scarier in this ep is that it seems it actually was Dean’s time to go. In fact, according to the demon skank, he should already be dead. Given, the guy’s cheated death in his own Final Destination-esque ways, but I’ve always believed there’s a purpose for everything. If Dean were to be dead, somehow he would be. I simply don’t believe this to be the case. On the surface, Dean has led a pretty unfulfilled life. He lost his mother at a young age and was pretty much forced to grow up in a lifestyle that few only know about by a father who was pretty much absent on hunts while leaving the younger brother behind for him to babysit while protecting him and then lose said younger bro (via a rather nasty rebellious streak to make a break for a normal life) and be alone and make no real friends only to coopt the younger bro’s help on a missing dad hunt only to gain younger bro’s despondent company full time to join him on a cross country ghost tour and later find out younger bro has visions and the like and in the end lose the father and now harbors an empty hole inside himself. *whew* No wonder death seems like the easy way out right about now for Dean. But the unfulfillment is just what I said: surface stuff. Technical stuff. It’s the stuff one feels inside themselves that leads to true fulfillment. On countless occasions Dean has displayed why he has so much left to give and live life for. His protectiveness of Sam, his willingness to help others in peril, his ability to use humor to cope with atrocities (which is important in maintaining his humanity), and his overwhelming loyalty, dedication and love for his family. And if that isn’t fulfillment, then tell me what is. Still, he has a long way to go - to fulfill. I know this sounds like I’m saying Dean is suicidal - that’s not it at all. But he has three times now come very close to choosing death of his own free will (opposing Sam’s decision to heal him last year in ‘Faith’, especially when they found out someone innocent died in his place; leaving with Tessa in ‘In My Time of Dying’ to keep from becoming an angry spirit; and here when he almost chooses to sell his soul to get John back). I believe that it is those good qualities I listed above that make him want to sacrifice himself for, not giving in to any kind of defeat. But I also believe he wants to live simply to remain close to Sam and be a family with him, and to protect him from whatever the Big Secret is or what the Demon has in store for him (Sam). And who knows? Maybe he actually will follow Sam’s advice one day and leave the hunting biz and start a new life filled with peace and someone to share it with. All of this horrible anguish he’s going through now is simply a test of how strong his dedication and love are, I think, and will only add to the joy of fulfillment should he succeed in conquering his fears and depressions. In any case, his life is simply not done, I don’t care who says what.

Sam, bless him, is trying so hard. He makes a very good argument with Dean in the end over John’s sacrifice. Understandably, Dean can’t cope with the horror of the situation, but Sam is right that he says John’s legacy lives on in them. This also lends to Dean’s fulfillment, whether it’s ghost hunting or not. However, because of the amount of emotional anguish Dean is feeling right now, Sam just can’t seem to find any way to help him. He wants to say something, but he fears Dean is right. What CAN you say that will make these tragedies okay? Still, for his part of the grieving process, it’s nice that Sam is dedicating himself more and more into the hunter’s role. He’s admitted doing it for John’s sake and I think he’s right. Remember, he did admit at the end of ‘Everybody Loves A Clown’ that he himself wasn’t doing too well over their dad’s demise either. And even though he doesn’t share the burden of carrying a huge dark secret like Dean, he does harbor something just as bad, if not worse: the fear of wondering if his dad died thinking he (Sam) hated him. However, he does seem to have found some small but viable way of coping. Then again, who knows? It may be his feelings are bubbling underneath and are waiting to erupt at some point, but I kinda doubt it or they probably already would have by now and he and Dean would’ve ripped each other apart. Or hugged. Oh well. Time will tell the tale.

Gotta say something about the spook effects this week. Brilliant! Seriously evil stuff here and very jump-worthy. The ghostly disfigurations of those people were ghastly enough, but come on! Those hellhounds were truly scary as hell - because you couldn’t actually see them, yet you could sense they were right there! Which, basically they were (i.e. the quick-moving shadows and the growls and the claw marks on the floors), but still... And that scene where they clawed that woman’s leg down the side and dragged her away, just...eww, with a shiver on the side. However, gotta say I didn’t care too much what happened to the secondary characters as they simply seemed to exist only to introduce the week’s case and later keep Jared’s character occupied while Dean dealt with the main issues at hand. But I can live with it. Either way, Kripke is a frickin’ genius!

Bits and pieces:
    - Personally, I liked the flashbacks to the 1930\'s. For me, it gave a kind of sense that made me feel like “Hey, this has been going down all this time” and just added more of a reality to the whole atmosphere of the episode, I guess.
    - I’m just eating all this continuity up this season! Loved, loved, loved the fact that Dean used the devil’s trap symbol to catch the demon chick with, just like they used on Meg last year. And how clever he was at it! -And let’s not forget, per last week’s events, that Dean is now a wanted man! This is something else that may possibly come back on him again in the future. - Back to the devil’s trap deal, when Dean was chanting the Latin - sorry, but he just sounded sexier saying it than Sam did last year. Seriously, Jensen can certainly put some power in that beautiful voice.
    - Funniest line: when Dean made the Myspace reference. At least, for me that was the most hilarious.

Yep, you guessed it: a 10 all the way. But to make matters worse, we are left hanging nervously (and, I’d wager, impatiently for some of us) after watching that collage of previews for upcoming episodes that don’t start again until God knows when (I’ll have to check the listings). And according to the previews in question, things are about to hit the fan in a mega way - especially when it seems like we’re about to find out what the Big Secret is! Time to start the screaming again.
  • I liked this one a lot.

It seems that Supnatural has stepped away from trying to be scary and is now beginning to focus on the mythology or longer ark stories for the series. Season 1 was really all monter of the week and had a handful of important episodes. But this series seems that all episodes are linked and tell us important things. I really want to find out more about the 'deamon' and if the boys will ever get their father back. This episode was well written and exciting. I liked how once again they played on Deans guilt over his fathers death. The story to this episode was simple yet effective. An evil spirit which will grant each person a wish but at a price of their soul. I liked this episode a lot and hope to see more episodes like this in the future.
  • brilliant 10/10

Dean and sam hunt for a black dog but soon realise they are on the trail for a hell hound. Who trades peoples lives for there greatest desire. Dean who has a hard time felling any sympathy for anyone who would trade there life for anything, finaly admits fully too sam that he belives that this is what his dad did too save him. And once again we see the deeper side of dean which is masked by all the jokes (Which i love.) When dean traps the demon she tells him the whole truth about his father. And offers him the only thing that he wants his dad back but at what price. As a huge dean fan i couldnt stop the uncontrable amount tears.
    ps. loved the myspace joke and the end not technically part of the episode but after seeing the next time part i am defenatly not going to miss next weeks. (not that i ever would.)
  • a very good episode

This episode was great.

I liked the whole premise of selling your soul for something, it's fascinating.

This episode had some shocks. The people's faces when they went all mangled was creepy. Yes I am easily scared, don't hold it against me.

But the episode also had some funny moments. The Myspace one was amusing. That's what I like about Supernatural, the mix of scary and funny.

This episode was also interesting because Dean finds out that his dad did indeed die to save his life. That might have some repercussions for future episodes.

On the whole this was a very good episode. Can't wait for the next one.

9.5 out of ten.
    I liked this episode, once again it opened up dean's wounds. the deamon was cool, the girl that played her at the end i thought did a great job. the use of black vodoo magic was a good new twist. although this may not really be associtated with the episode i loved the preview for the next 2 epidoes. :D :D i also realli liked the face melting sort of thing and the was the doctor acted wen the hell hound got it... Bravo, hehehe.
    and oof course it was funnie, i loved the myspace joke and the dog humping joke.. LOL.
  • Dean and Sam stumble upon mysterious deaths related to black dogs and find out that they were the demon's hounds collecting on debts from people who sold their soul to the devil.

The reason I like this episode is that it brought to light the side of Dean that he always hides behind wisecracks.I could relate to his despair in finding out his dad died because of him it was no secret how much his family meant to him. Learning that he was the cause of either of their suffering would have been an added weight on his shoulders, which adds to his already heavy burden. he's always been the protective brother and son, the one keeping the three of them together.The demon rubbing the fact in was the most painful thing to watch because I know that behind the tough exterior, Dean has the kindest heart. He wouldve done anything to protect his family, even give up his own life in a heartbeat just to save one of them...
  • Supernatural certainly isn't running out of ideas!

While I missed last week's episode which looked really good, I'm glad I didn't miss this week's because a hell (literally) of a lot happened.

This episode is terrific as the deal with the devil comes to quite literal terms as ten years after a wish is granted, people are attacked and this plot was a perfect way of confirming Dean's greatest fear.

This season is even better than the first as not only is Sam's conspiracy seemingly bigger than we thought but Dean is showing a much darker side, which is also entertaining when he's hunting demons.

Overall, this episode once again proves why Supernatural is my favourite non-comedic show.
  • wow

the guys are becoming stronger and stronger!!!

They don't need their Dad anymore.

They need another partner!!!

I like the way winchesters think...pretty cool

this great episode brings out the fact that how intelligent the two of them think...And how their minds work in sync while thinking and solving a mystery...

Linda Blair was awesome, sweet Cop...who release the situation well..

Dean was smart, funny, and absolutely at his best, while dealing with law...

How their stories match word to word...how they find each other, it was some nice work there...
  • Dean calls a demon to make a deal to save a man named Evan Hudson, in exchange for himself. While making the deal, the demon confronts Dean’s worst nightmare about their dad.

Dean calls a demon to make a deal to save a man named Evan Hudson, in exchange for himself. While making the deal, the demon confronts Dean’s worst nightmare about their dad. I'll let the quotes say everything!

Sam: So much for a low profile. You’ve got a warrant in St. Louis and now you’re officially in the Feds’ database.
    Dean: (laughs) Dude, I’m like Dillinger or something Dean: What do they got on you?
    Sam: I'm sure they haven't posted it yet.
    Dean: What no accessory? Nothing?
    Sam: Shut up.
    Dean: (laughs) You're jealous.
    Sam: No, I'm not Dean: What do you got on the case there, you innocent, harmless young man you? Dean: What the hell was that for?
    Dean's Demon: Sealing the deal.
    Dean: You know, I usually like to be warned before I’m violated with demon tongue. Dean: I don’t know what this thing is.
    Sam: You mean Carly’s Myspace address?
    Dean: Yeah, Myspace. What the hell is that? Seriously, is that like, some sort of porn site?
  • I think this episode sets the scene for things to come.

This is an excellently written episode. The boys finally find out why their father died and have to deal with it. They also learn that their father is in hell. What I really enjoyed about this episode is how Dean struggles with what he has learned and the choices he has to make. He really wrestles with what the demon has told him and has to choose to either exchange his soul for that of his father's or protect the young man who is about to be taken. The final scene says it all when Sam asks him "you weren't really thinking about accepting the deal, were you?" You can see that he really agonized over it and still does. I really feel that this episode is going to lead up to some way for the boys to get their father out of hell. Can't wait to see it!!!
< 1 2 3