Supernatural

Dark Side of the Moon

Aired Tuesday 9:00 PM Apr 01, 2010 on The CW

• Sam Who?

I was not a fan of the way that the writers portrayed Sam in this episode. So far, they've been fairly consistent with his character and, while it's obvious that he wants to be normal and he enjoys his time living as a normal person, he isn't all about himself and being with strangers. He loves his family and his brother. He would do anything for his brother, so doesn't it seem fair that some of his favorite memories would be with Dean? That didn't make sense to me. They made him seem selfish and Dean looked like a saint next to him. It just wasn't fair. It doesn't help that Sam is also my favorite. Obviously, this wasn't one of my favorite episodes. In fact, I couldn't even watch all of it. I was very disappointed with this episode.
  • High quality, but bleak episode.

This was a top quality episode of Supernatural in many ways and both Jared and Jensen gave great performances. But it was marred for me by the way the writers depicted Sam. They portrayed him as a rather selfish man, whose happiest memories were having Thanksgiving with strangers, or when he ran away from home. He had, apparently, no happy memories of times with Dean or with the love of his life, Jessica. In contrast Dean's happiest memories revolved around Sam and his mum. This implied an imbalance in their relationship ie that Dean loves Sam more than Sam loves Dean. That is inconsistent with how the relationship has alway been portrayed, and does a disservice to the character of Sam. It was a missed opportunity to properly show the depth of the relationship between the brothers.

That, rather big, concern aside, this was an important and well-crafted episode.
  • Really well done episode, but it broke my heart...

The episode itself was great, but it just broke my heart. I enjoyed this episode because it was important, and it allowed us a deeper look at the winchesters themselves. This episode really emphasizes Dean's family-oriented demeanor, but I hated how it made Sam out to be. He may not be a total family man, but he loves his brother and dreamed of one day having a family. In my opinion, Sam is better than the selfish person he was made out to be here. The brothers have an unbreakable bond, and the scene at the end nearly brought me to tears. That being said, I liked getting a peek at more of Sam and Dean's memories and revisiting some old friends. The cast was excellent, as usual, and you could FEEL the emotions in here. The plot line was good, and this episode is a great contribution to the show, in my opinion.
  • Filler.

5.5
    Not that there's a huge problem with that, we did get some old cast cameos out of it and I guess fans of the weird not quite unresolved sexual tension between Sam and Dean got a bit of the good old "will they stick together or fall apart" angle.

But it was filler.

The episode falls in between of a moment of good forward drive on the show and stops it dead. It starts with an unrelated, isolated incident and spins off into a largely inconsequential trip that feels almost like a clips episode full of backstory rather than a proper new chapter of the plot.

Not only that, but it ends with a Deus ex Machina (literally). In the end, the meaning of the episode to the entire arc is very limited. Either all of this is a plot to diminish the protagonists' morale, in which case it's superfluous and it could have been implied without wasting an entire hour, or it is not all real, and the McGuffin of the entire season has just been defused. Either way, the momentum is broken and the show stands still waiting to (hopefully) be kickstarted again in the next episode.

I guess one way to convey this for all the fans who will certainly express themselves with the rating tool is this: when this late in the game an episode could have been aired in any order in the middle of the last four or five weeks, you know it is not a season highlight. Don't you agree?
  • I liked this episode. Very enjoyable and great to watch.

I was heart broken at the end of this episode when Dean threw away his necklace. I have loved that necklace since I saw it in Season 1's episode Skin (Which is my favourite episode!)I was crying at the end of this episode! I also hate it that they always die. I think I have seen them die once too often and I hate it. I want it to stop. My favourite part of this episode was when little Sammy was lighting fireworks with Dean. That was very cute. Over all, I enjoyed this episode very much and I can't wait to see what else is gonna happen in Season 5.
  • Pure gold!

This episode had it all! Memories of the past, action and answers. It was cool to see Ash again! A little weird that he was all tuned into heaven, but cool. I can't help but think though, that there was something fishy about what Sam and Dean saw, I think more of it was a show then they thought. Maybe what they heard was true, god really doesn't care. Or maybe it was only half of the truth. Something tells me that there is more to it. I really liked how in heaven it was like a big network of memories, and how it would just change from one memory to another, I also like the way Ash explained it, I guess it makes sense; I just never pictured it like that. My idea was this whole cloud city of light, but I guess everyone has a different idea of it. Very good portrayal of heaven though. I am pumped for the next episode, this was one of the better episodes of late!
  • Dean and Sam give us a tour of Heaven.

I liked how the previously bit made a point out of how many times both characters have died. It meant that their death scene could work as an opening, without being too epic a moment by reminding the audience that death for these two isn't that big a deal. Having them killed by a couple of hunters was a nice touch, as you'd assume they'd have their bases covered for Demons, but probably not humans.

And so began our tour of Heaven. This was a tough thing to pull off, especially on a TV budget, but they did a great job. Everyone has their own idea of what Heaven would be, and to be honest a little universe for everyone makes sense. It worked as I was happy to accept that's what Heaven could be like, as well as grounding it in Supernatural's reality by how they were all connected. Getting to see Ash again was a great moment! When I first saw the guy in the wrestler mask I thought that was too far even for Supernatural. But with the reveal of who it was it all made perfect sense. Ash was basically the exposition (as he was through much of season 2), but he's so well played and written that it all worked great.

And he wasn't the only old face as we also saw Pamela again and (the real) Mary Winchester. Pamela was a cool one as despite only being in a few episodes of season 4 she was a good character. Her flirting with Dean paid off a bit here in a moment that worked nicely when there was a danger of it being cheesy. The difference with Mary was that she was Mary in Heaven, but Dean's memory of her. This worked well as seeing her again would've filled an episode on its own. By having her as a memory made for some great scenes, and Samantha Smith was as great as always. Having JA and JP play themselves during their memories despite the age they were meant to be was a great idea. It worked to give some hilarious visuals, like Dean's "I wuv hugs" T-shirt. But it also made the emotional moments even better. Dean having his sandwiches made by his mother was a heart wrenching moment and just a small example of how powerful this show can be.

The main threat here was Zachariah. Having been absent for a good portion of season 5 it was cool to see him again. Being on "his turf" meant that any of their usual tricks to get around Angels weren't going to work, which nicely added to the fear factor. The search for an Angel who was speaking to God did feel a bit forced unfortunately. Every Angel seemed adamant that God was no where to be found, but if they all knew this Joshua was talking to him then surely that proved he was at least around somewhere. Maybe they thought he was crazy, but considering how Zach backed off when Joshua threatened him that doesn't work.

Getting God's message second hand was the only way they were ever going to do it, but it wasn't as affective as it would've been coming straight from the Creator Himself. That doesn't mean it wasn't still an impressive scene, but it could've been better. Castiel's devastation at the news was incredibly well delivered and a really sad moment. They were really going for the tear ducts at the end as Dean threw away his necklace that had meant so much to him.

So in the end it was another very good episode that keeps the depression and exasperation of Dean going nicely. Heaven could've been a huge mistake to show, but was done very well. A bit more visual flair might've been nice; while the weird purple sky looked otherworldly a visual effect when Zach changed the forest around might've been nice. Similarly Angels still teleport off-screen. But other than that this was a very strong episode that continued the story well with a great episode.
  • Sam is revealed for the dirt bag that he is.

This story showed more of the apocalypse story line. Dean was shown as the sweet caring loving family guy while Sam was revealed as the rebellious, family hating dirt bag that he is. His idea of heaven is NOT FAMILY. Not his family at least. This episode shows what a truly awful guy Sam is. He is shown as a self centered selfish brat who has no appreciation for what his brother has done for him. Sure he comes off as a nice enough guy some of the time but when you're rotten at the core there's no saving you.

Dean throws his necklace into the bin at the end of the story. This reveals how the brotherly love aspect of the story has been broken. Dean knows that Sam doesn't care about him now.

This is the episode that killed the series for me. I won't be watching anymore. Kripke said somewhere that this series was ultimately about the importance of family. But I only see the importance of Dean - the one the angels love. Sam's true colors are shown and they are awful. I wish they'd just boot Sam out of the story all together now.

Heaven is also awful. People reliving their best memories all the time. That'd get old in about a day or two. Anyway the family love aspect of the series is officially dead. You can't fix a rotten core. So bye Supernatural from me.
  • Sam and Dean are killed by hunters, and they end up in Heaven. They need to find Joshua, and the road to him takes the brothers through their past.

An absolutely amazing episode! We catch a glimpse of what a younger Dean was like, and what his life was like. The innocent smile that Jensen captured with the fireworks was so moving. This episode saw Dean go through an emotional wringer, and Sam wasn't unscathed either. Watching the scenes with Dean and Mary... heart-wrenching at times.

The end was especially powerful and really made the episode. The brothers didn't get the news they wanted, and having to share this with Castiel made it harder. Mischa Collins did great showing us Castiel's reaction. And Jensen Ackles- I love him snarky and full of attitude, but he definitely can cause tears as well.
  • the boys continue to unravel

After seeing Bobby broken after killing his wife a second time, the angels continue to hammer the boys into an endless emotional breakdown. Not even the ultimate paradise of Heaven can bring the poor boys any peace. After being murdered by two old friends blaming them for the Apocalypse, the boys find themselves in Heaven, only instead of pearly gates and endless rays of golden light, they relive their "greatest hit collections" of best memories. However, they're instructed by Castiel to find Joshua, the angel who communicates with God, to find God's whereabouts. All they have to do is avoid Zachariah and flunkees. No biggie. And what would a trip be without the return of some old friends.
    Dean's version of heaven is all the good times he shared with his family, the time he and Sam used fireworks at the park, the time where he had to comfort his mom when she and John were fighting, etc. Dean has always cared about family first, it only makes sense his heaven emulates that.
    Sam's heaven on the other hand, is the memories where he was either sharing Thanksgiving with another family or on his own, emulating his continuous desire to be independent, to break away from the hold John had on him. Sam doesn't have any memories of the time where his family was complete, those are all Dean's. It must have hurt him so bad that in Dean's memory, he couldn't communicate with Mary because it wasn't His memory. He doesn't remember Mary cutting the crusts off his sandwiches. He doesn't have a memory of his parents reading him a bedtime story. Throughout his life, he's continually chased his ideal family, his ideal life that eluded him, ideals that could never be met no matter how hard he tried. Seeing Sam's version of Heaven wounds Dean. He's always tried to be the perfect brother, the perfect son, and John never returned that affection and Sam, Sam ran out the minute he had the chance. Sam didn't mean to ever hurt Dean and Dean knows this but it proves that Sam didn't even consider Dean's feelings. It reinforces Dean's fear that he's not even good enough for his own family, a fear Zachariah gleefully digs in later.
    Heaven-So the human part of Heaven is a collection of everyone's personal memories and experiences collected together like Disneyworld amusement rides. Everybody usually stays in their own worlds of their choosing. Though look up at the sky, and it's a very beautifully (but slightly 70s LSD) purple sky with dust, stars, and a fat full moon swirling together. The real side of Heaven is what no one ever sees because it is a lot like the Matrix. The true visage of Heaven is too overwhelming for humans to process. So too is the angels' true forms even in the afterlife. The angels run the show, spurring Apocalypse, while the humans exist complacently, isolated, stuck in recreations of the past. For a supposed Paradise, this depiction of Heaven is pretty gloomy. Hell's endless torment, Earth's full of death, drugs, misogyny, and chaos, and Heaven's the Matrix. What do we have to look forward to in the Supernatural world? Ash is back!!!-While being chased around by Zachariah, Ash comes in and saves the boys. He hasn't changed at all. Except now he lives his days in Heaven to the fullest, doing everything he can, sampling everybody's personal heaven, listening to angel chats via computer radio waves, and drinking "alcohol-free" beer. Ash bears no ill will towards the brothers, thankfully. Sam and Dean get him caught up on current events (Ellen and Jo) and Ash also reacquaints the brothers with Pam.
    Pam too is loving Paradise or her version of it. And why not? She can see again. She muses that maybe the Apocalypse isn't so bad, because people can come here, they can be truly happy, refusing to believe Dean when he says this Paradise is actually a prison. She wears Dean down from his already low funk and makes him believe saying yes to Michael wouldn't be so bad. Before he and Sam leaves, she samples a kiss, and to her, it's perfect.
    Zachariah proves he's an bigger d!ck than previously realized. He stalks the boys in a "forest" like a predator chasing its hunt. He turns Dean's memory of his mother into a monstrous apparition, preying on Dean's fears that he wasn't ever good enough for his family, that Mary never loved him, that even Sam left him when he had the chance. Zachariah is a little too fond of "Mary" and it's nastily implied they do. . .well, you know. And why is he such a big d!ck to the brothers? Because they make him look bad. Because a powerful cherubim such as himself can't handle two obnoxious humans. He'll restore them to their bodies but only after he has a little fun. Luckily, he's interrupted by Joshua, who says he'd like a word with the boys. Joshua also proves to be probably the nicest angel the boys have ever encountered besides the creepy love-dovey emotional roller coaster that was Cupid and Castiel of course. Joshua resides in the garden which might be Eden but to the boys, it's a planetarium. Joshua unfortunately proves to be no help and further beats the boys' dwindling faiths by telling them God's role in this. God is alive. He's somewhere on Earth. He saved the boys and resurrected Castiel. He forgave Sam for what he did and allowed Sam to come to Heaven. But his involvement ends there. He won't stop the Apocalypse. Why? Joshua can't provide a good answer. He does root for the boys to win but he also won't get involved. He sends the boys back to their bodies, emotionally defeated. Castiel takes the news about God pretty hard. This is his Father, a father that won't come to his aid, a father that won't show. Castiel leaves, defeated and broken as the brothers, throwing Dean his amulet. Even Castiel has given up. Sam tries to provide optimism, he still wants to fight, assuring Dean they will find a way to end this their way, all the way. Dean, however, finally gives up. His last lifeline is gone. He saw and heard what his family "really felt about him". Everything he fought for, everything he is, was left shattered up in Heaven. He leaves the room, dumping the amulet into the trash. When he threw it in the trash, my heart broke a little. What does that mean? I'm not sure exactly. It could signify Dean's destroyed faith. But more importantly, I think it signifies his broken faith in his brother. The boys are splitting apart again, they're moving further away from each other just when they regained each other's trust. It seems the Funpocalypse of Season Five Part One has ended. We are now getting into dark, dark territory with friends and family connections unraveling, hope is being destroyed, God won't help, and there's not even a proper paradise to look forward to when everything's done. Pretty depressing stuff. The stakes are high and even though I know the boys will pull in the end like they always do, I wonder how much they more they can take. I wonder just how they can pull through. Intense. Next episode doesn't look to be any less dark, with a daughter of a preacher turning the town against itself. Wow. I'm stilling rooting for the boys, we'll see how they'll win.
  • OH,What a great episode, sad but great..

It was really awesome , heartbreaking and sad m but it was great . It was so sad to see how could things turn from bad to worse!
    It was really upsetting to see that Dean has given up his childhood for Sam and he's not even his brother's best memories (hell, even Sam's best memories were kinda Dean's worsts!)..the last scene was also heart wrenching ,when Cass got disappointed and Dean threw the amulet away!!(,though I think after everything he saw that day,it wasn't all wrong and weird.) Dean's tired ,this was his last hope and I was so depressed when he talked about it or when Jashua talked about Dean's feelings . Jensen made a great Job-as ever- ,he was perfect . Dean's first memory with Sam was so sweet. Poor Dean ,he looked kinda betrayed when he found out Sam's best memories were those he was away and made trouble for Dean.And finally I got a little shocked when they released the truth about John and his seemingly perfect marriage!!Has Dean ever had a little peace of mind?!!
  • Disturbing, haunting, sad, sweet and depressing. Another painfully enlightening instalment in the Winchester saga. *spoilers*

First of all - I really liked the opening. It was so believable, so logical and so THEM, especially Dean's weary promise/threat to their opponents - he's been down this road before.

The rest of the episode was another enlightening view on the differences between Sam and Dean. To Dean, family has always been everything, to cherish, protect and find comfort in. Sam has never known "familylife", and has always sought solitude and normalcy away from his father - and by default, his brother.
    It is quite clear that this realization pains Dean, who is already stretched past the breaking point but still stumbles on, refusing to just lie down and die.

The comparison between Heaven and the Matrix was chilling to me, reminding me of the traitor in the Matrix who would rather go back inside, even knowing it's all an illusion. And while this isn't currently an option for Sam and Dean, it's quite clear that Dean at least is disturbed by the idea of spending eternity in his own personal virtual reality.

And I loved Dean's reaction to the message from God - "Just another deadbeat dad with a lot of excuses". His resignation as he accepts this truth is painful to see - his last hope is being snuffed out, and there is literally only habit and obstinacy driving him on now.
    Sam's attempts to chear him up are pathetic and fail miserably, sounding like denial rather than a real, optimistic outlook. It makes you wonder how much Sam is lying to himself. Does he really believe what he says, or is he hiding a fatalistic resignation as deep as Dean's?

All in all an interesting story, filled with lots of awkward and painful family moments, leaving me with just one "unfinished" bit of business:
    I would have loved seing Dean run into the two hunters... >:D
    Hopefully they'll bring it up in some future episode. ;)
  • Nock, nock, havens door....

Guys , another great eps! really surprise like the directors discribe the paradise! awesome!

First: oh my the away the boy's muders os creepym that's make fell bad all the time. But so curious the memoriys by the boys that not strange to me dean anda sam so diferents for each other. Dean has a chillhood by his mom, and we konw the things betewn mary and jonh not a tale fatih. And sam his best moment when he was alone by his family. The classic rock music revel the only tender moment betewen dean and sam only hole seasons.

Second: Zacarias really mad with boys, I think if he dosen't need dean he will kill him now! Third: Do you belive it that god, dosen't care? I don't think so god loves his creatcion, there's something about there, belive me.

Four: Ash and pamela it's nice surprise, But I missig to see jo anda ellen, remnber that jo and dean makes deal to met in the other side, so that's really strange this?

Five: The last part break my heart, cas leveaig no faith, dean too, the only hope is sam
  • A very nice one... cant wait to see d next episode..

The episode starts with d killing of Dean and Sam and they go to heaven... they will come to know that heaven is all about creating their own environment... Castial contacts them and tells them to meet Jaushva who is a speaker to god... they comes to know that GOD is in earth and is fed up off all the things going on, and he is not responsible for any of it and will not help them to save the earth.. when Sam and Dean come back to life, they meet with Castial and he gives back the locket which he had taken from Dean... Dean and Castial loose their last hope i.e GOD, but Sam tries to convince Dean.. the episode ends there...
  • Very enlightening but also depressing

**********Spoiler Alert****************************

I liked this episode so much better than last week's. Sam and Dean have died so many times I have lost count but that didn't make it any easier to watch this time around. The Winchester's trip to Heaven not only showed them things about each other that they didn't know but it also took the audience along for the ride. Dean's first memory in Heaven with Knocking at Heaven's Door playing was perfect. I did like Supernatural's take on what Heaven would be like. You get to relive the best times of your life. It was also nice to see Pamela and Ash again. I was hoping that God would be the solution to defeating Lucifer but sadly I was wrong about that. He could care less. And just when I thought that Sam and Dean were mending things by the end of this episode it seemed like they may be drifting apart again. Seeing Castiel lose his faith was heartbreaking. At this point I don't know how the Winchesters are going to defeat Lucifer. Every avenue they have tried has proven to be a dead end. It will be interesting to see what else this season has in store for the Winchesters.
  • another great installent jared and jensen did fantastic as usual can't wait for more can't wait to see what happens we have only six more episodes to go what will happen next for our winchester boys will have to wait and see what happens next to our boys!

wow another great installment for supernatural the winchesters what will they be doing next jared and jensen fantastic job as usual as well as the rest of the cast this season has been spactular can't wait for more to see what our final six more episodes of the season can't wait for more and that season six is to go for next year will have to wait and see what will happen to our winchester boys sam and dean will continue the good fight and never give up what will will be instore for our boys time will tell can't wait
  • Noo! Not the amulet!!

This is such a ridiculously sad but brilliant episode. It gave us yet more great insights into Sam and Dean's past - always a fascinating topic - and watching them relive their greatest memories was great. When I read on here that Heaven would feature in this episode I wasn't sure if it would work or not, but then I told myself that the Supernatural writers are possibly the only people with the skill set to pull it off, and pull it off they have. It's a unique take on Heaven, and we even got in a bit of the ever-hilarious "Castiel trying to use human technology" thing!

My favourite part was when Sam died (I love over-protective and brotherly Dean so that makes sense) and Dean looked soooo upset! Bless him. Those hunters who killed him/them are so screwed.

I hated the last few seconds when Dean just threw his treasured amulet into the trash can in the hotel room and walked out. How could he do that?! He ALWAYS wears that thing, and we as viewers have even had the priviledge of seeing young Sam give it to him in Season 3. It's as much a part of the show as the Impala! How could he?? :(

Still, that was probably the best bit, as it left such an impression on me. The total lack of music and Sam's sigh at the end made it even more intense.

Great episode overall - where do we go from here? The writers will come up with something brilliant, I'm sure, and Dean needs to start trusting his brother again. I feel quite sorry for Sam - he can't control his best memories.

(And Sam had better have picked up that amulet again after Dean chucked it away. He probably did, he's still a sentimental guy, and Dean will want it back soon.)
  • Awesome.... but depressing.

It all starts out with a bad morning with Dean waking up to find a gun in his face and his brother being held up with another gun by old (somewhat)pals Roy and Walt. They kill Sam first for starting the apocolypse and then Dean for recognizing them and not wanting Dean looking for them all their lives for killing his own brother.(Big thing that did he is alive and probably gonna kill you)When they die they are in Heaven weird huh. Each of them remembers old happy memories Dean remembers Shooting off fireworks with his brother as a kid and his mom with him being a 4 year old. Sam: The night he left his father and Dean. And when he ran away another time with his lovely dog Bones. While up there they meet old friends. Ash and Pamela. Learn that God doesn't care that Zachariah is a little grumpy and being made fun of on the playground. And at the very end was the most depressing of all the Necklace or the amulet that Sam gave Dean as a kid (As seeing in Season 3 "A very Supernatural Christmas") He threw away it was like he have given up his faith in his brother. Something no Supernatural brothers fan wants to see. Like I said before awesome but depressing. I think Kripke needs to make episodes more happier.
  • Heaven ain't what it used to be

The Brothers Winchester have died more often than most main characters, so while it's disconcerting, it's not particularly unusual for them to die again in violent fashion. It does remind the audience that there are plenty of hunters with a bone to pick with the brothers, and it also serves the purpose of sending the boys to the "Supernatural" version of heaven.

I think a lot of those who criticize the depiction of religious concepts on "Supernatural" display an unfortunate level of insecurity in their own beliefs. Fiction doesn't have to conform to any specific religious interpretation; it only has to be self-consistent. In terms of how God has been portrayed on the show, this is consistent.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a lost opportunity. Why bring God into the equation, if you're not going to pull that trigger? I have offered a scenario in the past in which God essentially tells Sam and Dean that the idea is for humanity to find its own path to salvation, along the lines of "God helps those who help themselves", but this is a bit of a cruel way to do it. Joshua tries to soften the blow, but this is not going to help their morale.

What was confirmed, in a sense, was the fact that God knew what was going to happen. That implies that letting the apocalypse play out as it has is part of his own plan. Some will take exception to that, even if the entire book of Revelation makes a point of the fact that the end of the world, with all of its suffering, pain, and fear, is supposed to be how it is all meant to happen. The only real spin that the writers put on it is the expectation placed on the Winchesters to figure out how to make it work out well.

This could make the "controlling the rings of the Four Horsemen" scenario more of a possibility, but with the resolution phase of the season upon us, there has to be more to it. The problem is that God was just about the only source of power strong enough to counter Lucifer. If God isn't going to offer up some kind of mystical superweapon for the Brothers Winchester to use, then what exactly are they supposed to do?

More importantly, is it going to be a satisfactory resolution not only to the season, but to the entire narrative arc of the past five years? A lot of fans would have been annoyed with a "deus ex machina" end to the story, but it would have been sensible given the nature of the story. According to nearly every interpretation of Revelation, Lucifer is meant to believe that he has the upper hand, and the unbelieving masses are meant to believe the same, until God comes along and delivers the knockout punch. So what could possibly replace that and make sense?

On the other hand, I suppose there's one reason to keep faith in the writers. The characters themselves are asking the very same questions. A great deal of the show, in terms of the brothers' versions of heaven, were in keeping with their established histories. All that being the case, the writers seem to be moving according to a solid plan. I've had reason to trust the writers this long, so I can continue to give them the benefit of the doubt.

This episode leaves Dean and Castiel at the end of their spiritual ropes, which is saying a lot, considering that Dean was on the brink and Castiel is an angel. What's surprising is Sam's reaction. While Dean and Castiel seem to have missed the part where God had granted the brothers salvation, saved them from Lucifer, and restored Castiel. Clearly, God has faith in them. This brings to mind the story of Job. Sam knows what he has done, and now he knows that when he dies for the final time, he will go to heaven. It would make sense, even in this situation, for Sam's faith to be bolstered. After all, Sam was always the brother with a more spiritual bent.

It's interesting, though, how the writers chose to depict heaven. It does adhere to a certain interpretation of heaven that I've heard on occasion, but it makes it far more isolating than one would expect. Interaction with loved ones is a rarity, and loved ones within your version of heaven are shades of memory, tailored to your desires. Compared to the torture in hell, it's definitely a better situation, but it's not the bliss that one would anticipate. Is this how it has always been? Or is it how things have been since the angels have taken control?

Then again, this is "Supernatural". Was anyone expecting this show's version of heaven to be unbridled joy?
  • Heaven Ain't What it Use to Be!

Dark Side of the Moon-When Sam and Dean are killed by hunters, they end up in Heaven. They discover they must find Joshua, an angel who speaks directly with God, before Zachariah can find them.

You know, I have been wondering if Superntural was gonna do their own verison of Heaven and I'm glad they did. This verision of Heaven kinda of dark and gloomy, as you would expect Supernatural's verison to be. But it was also quite appealing, touching and fun at times. Sure Dean and Sam hold the record for "most TV deaths in one series" next to Charmed, but but this time it's intriguing watching them in Heaven. I loved the idea of Heaven being a recap of your best memories throughout your life. Watching scenes like Dean shooting firecracks with Sam and Dean as helpless as a child watching his mom make him a sandwitch just once again shows how much Dean values family. Of course, Sam's version of heaven would be the opposite as Sam throughout his life as always tried to distance himself away from hunting. It was nice seeing a callback to Sam's life/state of mind before he rejoined Dean to hunt again at the beginning of the series. I was kinda surprised Dean was so upset. After all they've been through, a couple of harmless memories in heaven shouldn't piss him off that bad considering he should have know Sam felt that way years ago. Castiel finally returns after what seems like such a long absence. It sucks for the majority of the episode he's just a voice on the radio or an image on a TV screen, but that last moment when we do see him in person again and he officially gives up on God was worth see Misha's fine stoic acting. Zachariah returns and is still a d@#che, but I do love watching Dean's hilarious remarks toward him, especially the one about him being bald, lol. I loved the debut of Zachariah and the scene in the garden was nicely shot. Guest star Roger Aaron Brown was great as Joshua. Joshua's speech about God not stopping the Apocalypse was pretty shocking and you can't help but feel sorry for the brothers. I knew we were in for a heavy episode that started out with Sam getting blown away by a shotgun but I didn't know it would leave such a hopeless filling. Of course, in the end the brothers will prevail, but with God saying pretty much "f@#% it!", how they will beat Lucifer and the Apocalypse will be interesting to see! A great episode that once again pushes the main arc in complex, intriguing ways, "Dark Side of the Moon" is solid from start to finish.
  • Our beloved boys are hunted, literally to death giving them a rare opportunity to find out exactly where God stands amidst the mess his "children" have created. In the meantime our boys learn a few things about each other and the meaning of "Heaven".

Thank You Krip! Thank you for giving us a realistic idea of just what heaven could possibly be! I figure your take on hell is pretty much the same. At last, something that makes sense! Awakened by hunters out for vengeance Sam and Dean find themselves hunted to death, and their souls now freely roaming heaven. This Magical Mystery Tour takes them through each others' best moments or "Greatest Hits" as the boys put it, resulting in a few sad surprises for Dean when he realizes that some of Sam's most heavenly moments don't even include him. But heaven isn't all its cracked up to be when they realize they have an extremely P.O.'d Zachariah (turns out he's 'petty', huh, who'da guessed that what with the stomach cancer and the breaking of Sam's legs, and the was it sealing? or removal or his lungs? Hmm...) willing to ream them both seven ways from Sunday for little else than sticking to their guns and not wanting to serve as pawns. (gee... go figure, not a whole lot of incentive for playing along... being left as a drooling idiot or trapped in your own meat with Lucifer himself riding you day and night... well surprisingly, those options lack allure. So, Stick to your guns boys!) We had several wonderful guest appearances, certainly the most entertaining being Ash who's heaven would of course include a means of translating heaven! How Awesome is that? Ash, you just plain rock! Certainly the most diabolical guest appearance would be Dean's second flashback to home with all his own doubts spewing like projectiles from his own mothers' mouth, (courtesy once again of Zachariah, who I'm certainly ready to believe is an even greater threat than Lucifer himself. [Sam how's about you just point Lucifer at Zachariah and see what happens... could be entertaining]). The most revealing thing about Zacharia's Puppet-Mary's tirade was Sams reaction to it, the pain on his face as those horrors were hurled at his big brother was beautifully telling. It was lovely to see Pamela with real eyes, and to know she's just as frisky in heaven as she was on earth even if she has been stepford wife'd. But hey, who can blame her, if you're in your own ideal heaven you're supposed to rejoice and be at peace, not question whether or not its real or whether or not it matters. And yet, conceptually, being content in your own heaven to the point of not wanting to leave it or caring what goes on beyond it... rather lends itself to the idea of being imprisoned by your own ennui. And any prisoner will tell you, the first obligation of a prisoner is to escape. And truly, if heaven is such a great place then why does life matter? (oh and yes, apparently the boys have both been to heaven before but had the memory erased... kinda like that whole past life, starting the new one with a clean slate thing... makes sense.).

At last our boys are once again saved from Zacharia's nefarious intent only to find out that God isn't interested in playing this game. He's really not even interested in refereeing it, but to a degree he has, and now he's gonna go sit out the second half and just watch his kids beat the snot out of each other and see who wins. Is it a test of faith? Of personal responsibility? Of virtue? Is God just another absentee father that Dean has to clean up after? Is this a lesson in self reliance straight from the 'heavenly father' himself? Maybe he just doesn't want his skee ball game interrupted. Maybe he needs another margarita, and maybe he just doesn't care. Sadly, upon their return, and sharing what they've learned with Cas, Dean and his angelic buddy's faith is sorely shaken, Sam's resolve seems to have steeled a bit. Cas returns Dean's pendant and again the look on Sam's face as Dean's lost faith is reflected in the simple act of him throwing it away tells us far too much. Maybe it was because so many of Sam's 'heavenly moments' were of times without even Dean, maybe he's just too tired to believe in, or hope for anything anymore. I hope Sam pulls that pendant from the trash and keeps it safe (around his own neck) for when Dean is ready to take it back. (Let's also hope that when the time comes that sucker glows hot because the presence of "The Lord" winds up in one of the boys... now that would be an interesting twist). I have a new addition to my top 10 fave Supernatural Episodes and Dark Side of the Moon is it! Beautifully conceived, written, acted, directed, edited... just plain beautiful! Thanks as always to Kast and Krew for such an excellent ep! As always special love to Jensen and Jared. Thanks boys.
  • The Brothers die yet again. Only this time they get to visit the mythical Heaven.

HEAVEN! Wow I loved the way they blended Mitch Albom's the five people you meet in heaven with Supernatural.

It showed literary integrity as well as creativity. Yet again proving the writers have their pens on the pulse of peoples' intuitions. I myself have always thought of heaven as a very individual experience. To show the diversity of opinions and levels of heaven with gateways,passages and secret codes left me enthralled.

The cinematography in the garden scene was beautiful and reminded me of a butterfly conservatory/trip to the zoo.In their memories I felt I was experiencing my own.

A truly great episode however seemingly out of order. I would have preferred this episode as the hiatus opener, not the zombie episode.This is an example of a show reiterating its' theme and solidifying the message before the season conclusion.

P.S. Zachariah taunting the boys made me want to slaughter him.

P.P.S. This episode is another reason why this show is on the same lines of Buffy and Angel in terms of excellent writing/acting. Charmed as fun and fluffy as it was could never conceive of the gripping story lines which make these shows stand the test of time without getting flat.
  • Wow

This ep reached new heights. Really. Sending the boys off to heaven; you can feel so sorry for them. It seems that this show is not too scared to do anything; now they have God as a world class douche. He can interfeare, but instead he simply can't be bothered. I still think this is not entirely true; God put Sam and Dean on that plane for a reason, because above anything they are the only two who can kill the devil, not Michael or God. God's telling them this so they keep on fighting. It was also nice to see Zach again. Can almost feel sorry for him; he's a superior angel who the others have obviously looked up to and he can't even get some humans to say yes? No wonder he's p**sed. Ultimately very good and at times emotional. Ash rocks! And was good to see Pamela too. She definately was a sight for sore eyes.
  • Sam and Dean are killed by hunters who know about Sam and his situation with the Devil. They end up in Heaven and spend their time avoiding Zachariah and trying to find the garden where Joshua who speaks to God is located based on Castiel's information.

A number of interesting things we learn in this episode. Each person sort of creates their own version of heaven. The Angels seem to have as many or more problems than humans. Intelligence is an asset as we see with Ash from the roadhouse who is played by Chad Lindberg. We also see Samantha Smith as Sam and Deans's Mom Mary Winchester who is so nice in Dean's memories, but downright evil being manipulated by the Angel Zachariah. In one of the best cameos we've ever seen Tracy Dinwiddie who plays Pamela Barnes was back. She really gives it to Dean and not in a bad way. It was great to see her as she is one of the best characters the show has ever had.

It seems that Sam and Dean have died a number of times that they don't even remember and Ash has seen them in heaven before. This time they don't get out without remembering everything though.

After all the running around is done we finally get to meet Joshua who seems to be a simple Angel and in the end the news is not the best for the boys. So for the time being the Apocalypse is theirs and theirs alone to deal with and we are left to wonder if even Castiel has the spirit to fight anymore.

This was a better episode than I thought it would be based on the coming attractions. Unfortunately it was very dark and unconnected which was a little disappointing. I did enjoyed it though and the boys were great as always. It was nice to see Ash and Pamela as well. Thanks for reading...
  • The truth about heaven.

I think the idea of this episode was ridiculous, but it sure shaped up in to something very awesome. Dean & Sam die, and apparently it's not the first time they've gone to heaven according to Ash. They just forgot. Liked seeing the dead characters. I was hoping to see Ellen & Jo. Zachariah returns to make Dean & Sam's life just about miserable. I couldn't help to feel bad for them when their last hope was shot down. God rejected the idea. "Back off" were his exact words. The face that Castiel made was just heartbreaking in the end. We see the guy that can talk to God, Joshua. Another angel. The writers take on heaven was a bit too much, heaven is just everyone's memory. Everyone's individual heaven. It was creative, definitely. I don't know, something about it, kind of turned me off. I guess you can call it controversial, just talking about heaven, the way they do on this show. I wont even get in to it. A solid episode, eventful. Definitely better than the last episode.
  • Zacharia attempts to kill off Dean and Sam to manipulate them in a warped version of Heaven to enable them to say yes to Micheal.

Great episode. "It's like Disneyland without the antisemitism"

Loved the name "Dark Side of the Moon" with the duality of Heaven, and Hell, Good and Evil.

What did the promos say? "Another man's Heaven is another one's hell"

I couldn't have said it better myself. Although last week's episode was enjoyable it was nonetheless standard filler with only an oral references to Apocalypse, but this episode was a critical episode, and not filler.

The guys die at the hands of other hunters. They get sent up to Heaven? or do they?

Sam and Dean catch very early that this is not Heaven at least not the heaven they envisioned.

They reach Castiel who tells them that's all a prop by Zacharia. This is another attempt by him to get the boys to say yes to Michael, very similar to "The End" episode.

This was a well written psychological episode with moments of action to show what a warped reality of heaven this really was. Sometimes the guys were in one place celebrating a memory, other times the memory wasn't that great. When Zacharia sees that the boys aren't falling for his tricks, he starts hitting them below the belt like when he showed the dead mother turning into a demon and saying she didn't want Dean as a baby. What a bastard. This episode then was another test of will and psychology. There were a few jokes of course, but writers were right on track throughout.