Supernatural

Defending Your Life

Aired Wednesday 9:00 PM Oct 14, 2011 on The CW

• The Mummy 4: Dean's In Deep Sh!t

Defending Your Life-The Egyptian god Osiris wreaks a bloody trail of deaths as he tries and executes anyone guilty of past mistakes. Sam is forced to defend his brother when Osiris targets Dean for his guilt over all the things he's believed he's done in his life... and calls Jo as a witness.

You know, a part of me really wanted to LOVE this as with most Supernatural episodes, it's starts out pretty intriguing. Suspense, violence, blood, not to mention a cool car chase scene that ends with a guy being brutally rammed into a wall. What's not to love? But once we find out about Osiris and his M.O., the plot kinda a mixed bag from there. On one hand, seeing Dean on trail for his past sins that he feels guilty for was an interesting twist, especially considering the obvious plot point that he just killed Amy last week behind his back. But on the other hand, why "not" bring Kat back? Why not break the news to Sam in such a sudden way? Why doesn't Dean just reveal the truth to Sam? Wouldn't that better than continuing to hide the truth because he doesn't want to betray his brother? From what we've seen of the brothers the past 6 years, why would Dean do something aspetty as keeping a secret from Sam? Secrets like this have only screwed the brothers over in the past, heck Dean was pissed when Sam was working with Ruby while he was trapped in hell! Why not just tell Sam "hey, I killed your monster friend and you'll probably hate me for it, but the ends justifies the means" Or...something!The end of the episode is just sad...and not in a good way. Even as Sam is slowly losing his mind, he's more at peace mentally than Dean is. Sam really needs his brother right now as he's screws are getting more loose yet Dean could potential make things worse with his little secret. A better resolution to the episode would have been Dean coming clean and moving this plot along yet essentially, the episode ends with Dean feeling more guilty than ever. *Sigh*

Okay, maybe I'm being too hard on this episode. It's not bad by any means. I least we got to see Jo back! I loved her moments with Dean and the regrets surrounding her past. That was something that was kinda needed looking back. Jo was forced into hunting by Dean (sort of). But she always had the choice of walking away, like Sam once did. But was it really Dean's fault or was being a hunter naturally in her blood? It's a sad reminder that being a hunter means sacrificing parts of your life, even your childhood, as we've seen in the past. But after that, the rest of the episode doesn't have much weight. Osiris, the Eygptian is a pretty forgettablefoe. Besides the fact he's nothing more than a Mummy reject kinda of villain, it's funny how we've seenmultipleGods on this show, yet they all come off so weak. Sam kills him so easily, it's kinda anti-climatic. Not to mention, the convenience of the Ram's Horn is a bit silly, even for Supernatural. I don't know, things are starting to feel a bit underwhelming after the first two episodes this season. I know we need room for the narrative to breath to give way to standalone episodes, but so far, they've been weaker than usual. "Defending Your Life" is simply okay (ish). Can't wait for next week's episode though, be still my Buffy heart! It's Cordy and Spike!!!