Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

6th season should have never been made

libra113

[102]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 27
    Don't really see it myself. Dean has always agonized over what happenes with Sam so that's not exactly new but surely you're not saying he should just shrug and give up and leave Sam a souless shell. Again, the stuff with Lisa and Ben was irritating and pointless but while they DO keep bringing it up from time to time hopefully the actual story itself is over and done with. I certainly don't see it going anywhere but I DO worry that as long as they're alive there's a change they could return and yet the writer's seem unwilling (or unable) to pull the trigger.

As for Sam, without a soul there's not much hand wringing there. He doesn't care about anyone or anything so I don't know how less overly emotional and 'soapy' a character could get. There's a reason they've never done "All My Vulcans" emotional blank slates and soaps don't mix.

Other than that the show itself is sound. Maybe it's not breaking new ground (although I would say the Alphas, civl war in Heaven, Hell being taken over by Crowley and the whole 'mother of all monsters' ARE new ground) but a show going into it's sixth season isn't breaking new ground (unless they pull a lame move and change EVERYTHING to just to shake things up) and it's not supposed to. At this point it's not about new ground it's about enjoying the playground you spent five seasons creating and having fun with the established rules.

There was a time when this was considered the reward of lasting this long, something shows aspired to earn so that they could put aside setting up and explaining and establishing and just tell stories with characters people know in a world they understand without having to go over every detail all the time.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[104]Nov 30, 2010
    Well I don't know about not supposed to break new ground and if that's the term I used I mis-typed. What I meant was that the longer a show is on the more comfortable it is in it's world setting and as such it's not normally so much about adding new details as it is about exploring what's there already.

In a sense they spent the last five seasons taking the toys out of the toybox and telling us what they are and how they work and now in season six it's about playing with the toys themselves. To put it another way they spent five seasons setting up the game and now they fianlly just get to play already.

As for the rest of it short of having Dean disown Sam and walk away (which would never work, nor would in character no matter how many times Sam kicks him in the teeth) they're doing the only thing they can.

Like it or not the show isn't reality and cannot just do anything they want, they are limited by actors, what the fans will tolerate (and they hate Sam and Dean being apart too long), etc... and within thoes limits they have to make the show work.

basenji529

[105]Dec 1, 2010
    • level: 15

Agreed. And they can't come up with some crappy reset button. That was half of what made Voyager suck. (The other half was characters like Ethnic Scrappy Chakotay and Wesley Neelix.)

libra113

[106]Dec 1, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

Agreed. And they can't come up with some crappy reset button. That was half of what made Voyager suck. (The other half was characters like Ethnic Scrappy Chakotay and Wesley Neelix.)

Well, I THINK what hurt Voyager so much was they very quickly sold out their own premise.

It was SUPPOSED to be a show where they were cut off from home, meeting all new aliens and having to scrape and struggle to survive. What happened was they were constently meeting the same aliens over and over again (depsite setting a course for home in the direct route), they never once seemed to lack food, water or basic supplies and even their uniforms were never dirty or damaged.

Then they started communicating with home, getting visits (forget how) and it was just like any other Star Trek show.

Now, Stargate Universe is doing the same thing and while they have cheated somewhat (visits from the Lucian Alliance and messages to and from home, etc...), they are much more holding to the notion of being lost in deep space and alone and struggling to survive. Ironically, not sure I like it much more than Voyager.

basenji529

[107]Dec 2, 2010

There was a kids' show, Space Cases. Which actually showed what it was like to be lost in space. They were even stranded on an uninhabited planet for a while. Yes, they did occasionally talk to friends (through wormholes too small to go anywhere). How far in space they were, I don't know; their hyperdrive was damaged, but to be truly lost usually means more than eight light-years out of known space.

BTW, the black Power Ranger is the human kid! It's also funny because the racist is black. He hates Andromedans. There is ho yay between him and the Andromedan, though. Like this:

Radu: I had a dream.
    Harlan: About what?
    Radu: (I can't remember the Princess's name. Suffice it to say, her father hates the United Planets, so Radu and her are like Romeo and Juliet.)
    Harlan: So it was a good dream, then?

Yes, they got away with a joke about nocturnal emissions on Nickelodeon.

JoshSutton

[108]Dec 4, 2010
    It's not the same show anymore. The storytelling, i'm no finding it interesting. It's a shame such an awesome show has become so slow. It seems to be all tell and no show these days. Where's the ghost stories, helpless victims, monsters and rock music?

JoshSutton

[111]Dec 5, 2010
    Nicely put. I completely agree. Unfortunately i don't see this show ever getting it's soul back, maybe with Sam it'll be a different story. I'm uncertain whether i'll be seeing it if it does happen though.

libra113

[113]Dec 5, 2010
    I'm sorry but I'm SO tired of all the whining.

Bottom line: you keep coming back so you're obiviously getting something.

I can tell you I've had shows go south on me ("Lost" springs to mind) and I just stopped watching. I didn't watch every week then go on the boards to whine and complain.

If you don't like it just don't watch it and pull out the dvds and enjoy the past. If you're REALLY going to give it a fair chance and not just complain then do so.

libra113

[116]Dec 5, 2010
    I was just say MABYE actually give it a fair shake.

I don't know about you exactly but there were people who were bashing and complaining before the new season even started. There were people who were complaining as soon as it was even mentioned and nothing had even been filmed or even really written yet.

I don't really see what all the complaining is about. Granted "Exile on Main Street" was a weak start but in my estimation that was because of Lisa and Ben and not getting Sam and Dean back on the road more quickly.

Once that was done the show was back on track and it's been going strong ever since.

You may not like Sam without a soul. You may not like the tension between the two of them. You may not even like the Alphas, Pergatory and all that and that's fine but that doesn't mean the show is, itself, fundmentally flawed, just that you don't like it.

If you don't like it stop watching and move on. If you want to keep watching then watch with an open mind and give it a fair chance.

I'm sorry if you were offended but all the posts have read seem nitpicking and whining (mostly about wanting Sam and Dean to be like they were before which is silly and impossible or that they should never have done a new season, which is a done deal and it's too late to stop it now).

I've got even worse new for you who don't like it. Apprently, the rating are holding and improving and it's apprently going to be back on next year too.

libra113

[118]Dec 5, 2010
    sramv9 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    I was just say MABYE actually give it a fair shake.

If you don't like it stop watching and move on. If you want to keep watching then watch with an open mind and give it a fair chance.

I've in my opinion been giving it a very fair chance. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean I haven't given it a fair chance.

As to moving on? see my previous comments.
    Again, not talking about you specifically. I'm talking about thoes (and they are out there) who condemed the new season before even a single script was written or filmed.

I REALLY blame it on Kripke for running his fat mouth about how anything beyond season five would automaticlly stink and thus pre-programming some fans to reject anything new on principle.

I really wish he had just shut up about that stuff or never said anything at all.

RoKC426

[119]Dec 5, 2010
    • level: 2

This season works fine exceptionally in my book, Ive seen shows do worse jobs at overextending their stay (Lost, Heroes, Psyche) and with the loss of my other favorite shows (Reaper, Legend of the Seeker) I found it quite refreshing that I still have Supernatural to look up to watching.