Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

6th season should have never been made

basenji529

[142]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 15

It was a joke. It started on the Transformers wiki. But basically because of this "6th season should have never been made" thing.

Hence the reference to "In other words, pretty much everything." The fact that I listed both the female characters and the death of the female characters should give you an idea.

libra113 wrote:
    Perverts? Don't remember that one at all.

I'd say girls that get off to brothers having sex count as perverts.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[143]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 27
    basenji529 wrote:

It was a joke. It started on the Transformers wiki. But basically because of this "6th season should have never been made" thing.

Hence the reference to "In other words, pretty much everything." The fact that I listed both the female characters and the death of the female characters should give you an idea.

libra113 wrote:
    Perverts? Don't remember that one at all.

I'd say girls that get off to brothers having sex count as perverts.

oh ok. I thought you meant the perverts were on the show itself.

When you come down to it there have been 'fans' complaining about this or that with the show from day one so why should season six be any diffrent?

god71

[144]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 2
    it is beeter becos eric krispy has run off HE IS A COWARD YOO SHOULDNT ABONDON YOOR OWN SHOW

what a bad example

ssfan12

[145]Dec 20, 2010

i remember when it was announced the show was moving to fridays, there was a little panic, but i heard people say that spn has a built in audience, it will follow the show to friday. people who said that were right. but the ratings have been in steady decline and are kind of stabilizing at a somehwat low number, though decent by cw standards. this tells me that 2/3 of the spn audience will watch ANYTHING they put out and think highly of it or at worst watch it out of habit and complain about it. 1/3 of that built in audience, expected the high quality they have been used to, are more objective towards it and looks to be done with the show. that has to cause some concern im sure.

in my opinion, the writing is worse, story telling is worse, taking creative shortcuts, monsters of the week are just rediculous. seems like a shell of it's former self. some people will take the shell over nothing though. it reminds me of the later heroes seasons. ive heard a few people say this and i agree, that season 6 is seriously like bad fanfiction. some say jump the shark, i dont know if the show has but bad fanfiction seems to nail it in my mind.

think bad fanfiction...... now think of shapefshifting babies, dean turns into a vampire for a day, faeries, skinwalking dogs befriending families, dragons ubducting virgins. and thats just half the season. i loved the show, 1-5, as much as anyone but come on...how can people honestly support this. i might get flamed for saying this but i really believe the sam and dean eyecandy is a huge reason that a moderate amount of people watch for. the fanservice type things to make all the girls giddy, like casitel kissing meg for apparantly no reason(i read this so if this is wrong, and there was a storyline purpose for this please correct me).

bottom line, quality has seriously dropped in my opinion, and a significant(but not majority) part of the supernatural fans agree with me and topic creator. guess im in the minority, but ending the series with some creative integrity would have been nice. not milking the series for everything its worth when the creative team is running on empty.

libra113

[146]Dec 20, 2010
    From what I've heard the ratings have increased greatly since the move to Friday starting with the re-runs of last season and continuing since. I've heard a few months ago that the strength of these ratings have the show already coming back for another season so there must be something to all that.

I don't want to say this again since people get so upset but the soultion is simple: If you don't like it anymore stop watching it. Seems simple to me. Like people who complain about violence or sex on tv or want this show or that show cancelled becasue they find something objectionable about it. Just change the channel.

In this day and age, where most people have 100 or more channels to pick from, plus dvd, plus going out and having a meal, plus whatever it's not like you HAVE to sit home on Friday night and watch a show that you obivious now hate so much that all you can do is complain and pick.

I have had my issues early on but by the second or third episode things settled down and smoothed out. I have my concerns about the upcoming episode but remember all the worry about "Tall Tales" the alies and the space ship and remember how that came out?

At very least it's bad form to judge an episode that hasn't even aired yet. As for the others this show has ALWAYS taken ideas that sound bad on paper and spun them into tv gold (long lost brother, anyone). I wasn't too jazzed about faries per se but they did a great job at turning it on it's ear and making it work.

basenji529

[147]Dec 20, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    oh ok. I thought you meant the perverts were on the show itself. When you come down to it there have been 'fans' complaining about this or that with the show from day one so why should season six be any diffrent?

Pretty much. Fans piss and moan with every change. There are Star Wars fans out there who are still complaining that Leia is Luke's sister.

Oh, speaking of homoerotic brothers-in-arms (such as Sam and Dean), congratulations on DADT being repealed. Just one more step toward the Instrumentality...*clasps hands Gendo-style*

libra113

[148]Dec 20, 2010
    Yeah, there seems to always be some group of fans who don't like this or don't like that and they've been complaining about it from day one. Suddenly, it's like the complaining this season is somehow diffrent when it's just the same old song and dance.

I'm not sure WHY the repeal is such a victory. Under Don't Ask Don't Tell they were STILL finding out on their own (through highly questionable and possible illegal means) and kicking people out and, unless I miss something, all this means is they can ask again. Are their provisions to prevent them from kicking gays out? Are there ways for them to get around it by lying and saying it's something else so they CAN get away with it? To me thoes are the real questions. That and WHY they would want to turn out any willing, abled bodied and highly skilled members when they're recruitment numbers are below standard levels and they need all the people they can get.

They're willing to lower academic requirements, let in people with criminal backgrounds, etc... but NOT if they happen to be attracked to memebers of the same sex? That make sense to ANYONE?

ssfan12

[149]Dec 20, 2010

i completely agree with libra on some things. if people don't like the show, dont watch it. it can be a hard habit to break, i know personally, but if you really think its that bad stop watching. i have stopped watching. it really wasnt hard for me it was just like, ok this is in a sense supernatural, but its not the supernatural i liked and my interest in watching the shows has left completely, the last few episodes i chose to watching nothing rather then supernatural.

i also agree how much people have always complained about the show. it always seemed like minor things though, like people hated bella, questioned adding chuck when we was introduced, thought bugs was stupid, liked or didnt like angels. it was kind of like no show is perfect and you can find something to complain about if you want to complain. season 6 is a bit different. where other things might have been complaining about somewhat superficial things, complaining now seems to be complaints about the core of supernatural. story, main characters, writing, creativity, originality.

as far as ratings, the show debuted pretty high 2.9, i think actually higher then the season 5 finale. the ratings completely tanked for 2 episodes going to 2.16. was high again for weekend at bobbys. stabilized at mid 2's (about 2.5) for 3 episodes. it dropped again after family matters and the last 4 episodes seem to stable at consistent low 2's (2.0-2.2). one episode even getting a 1.94. maybe ratings go up when they come back but as of right now its proof that it's losing a good chunk of its audience.

libra113

[150]Dec 20, 2010
    If they've lost a sizable chunk of their viewers then why was it renewed for season seven already? I don't recall it EVER being renewed so quickly before.

Further, I take exception with the idea that the complaining about season six is diffrent. Everything thing you just said about season six was also said in the last couple of seasons with the addition of the whole Heaven/Hell, angels/demons, Lucifer rising, end of the world storyline.

There were people from the moment that started that complained that angels and lucifer and the end of the world wasn't original and it has all been done before and yadda, yadda. It's the same old complaining as we've had for (at least) the last two seasons of the series and, to some extent, even further back than that.

ssfan12

[151]Dec 20, 2010

im not a cw exec so i have no clue why its been renewed. i have no doubt it will be renewed, and i have little doubt we will see a season 8. but i havent heard any official word. my guess would be even though ratings have dropped, which is not debatable, its a fact. 2.0-2.2 still blows most of their own shows out of the water ratings wise. even having lost some of its audience, enough people still watch to make it worthwhile to renew it instead of taking a chance on a new show that could just completely bomb and get canceled after a few episodes. logically it makes sense as far as business goes.

agree to disagree about complaining. i didnt really check boards during the first 5 seasons, i just know what i thought and what friends and family who watched thought. i havent looked at viewership/rating trends for past seasons so i don't know if complaining has translated into a measurable consistent drop in ratings correlating with episode progression. it has this season. and im not a betting person but i would be willing to bet there was no such correlation previous seasons.

libra113

[152]Dec 20, 2010
    Well thoes conditions have been in play since the start and it didn't stop there being concern on it's return or not. The only thing that's changed is that the show has been on longer.

As for the ratings of each episode I don't follow that closely but I seem to recall they've always fluxuated not just from one episode to the next but from one half hour to the next (beleave it or not but there are apprently neilson families who record only watching the first or last half of episodes, I can't imagine doing that with ANY show).

basenji529

[153]Dec 21, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, there seems to always be some group of fans who don't like this or don't like that and they've been complaining about it from day one. Suddenly, it's like the complaining this season is somehow diffrent when it's just the same old song and dance.

To be fair, the anti-Jedi thing does have its roots also in the Ewoks. To give you an idea, "Ewok" is never mentioned in the movies and is still a household word.

libra113 wrote:
    I'm not sure WHY the repeal is such a victory. Under Don't Ask Don't Tell they were STILL finding out on their own (through highly questionable and possible illegal means) and kicking people out and, unless I miss something, all this means is they can ask again. Are their provisions to prevent them from kicking gays out? Are there ways for them to get around it by lying and saying it's something else so they CAN get away with it? To me thoes are the real questions. That and WHY they would want to turn out any willing, abled bodied and highly skilled members when they're recruitment numbers are below standard levels and they need all the people they can get. They're willing to lower academic requirements, let in people with criminal backgrounds, etc... but NOT if they happen to be attracked to memebers of the same sex? That make sense to ANYONE?

Well, supposedly they can't use sexual preference anymore. The military has actually asked that it be removed because they knew they'd have to remove it anyway if not for this, and they want time to get everyone else used to the idea.

If anyone's wondering about the Instrumentality reference, it's a reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion. The kids at NERV fight monsters called Angels. If an Angel comes into contact with Adam, the first Angel, all of humanity is destroyed. The last Angel is a boy, and the main character, Shinji, has a crush on him. (Look at where Shinji's eyes point to in the shower!) Kaoru is not really gay per se; he doesn't seem to be aware that such a thing exists. (In the manga, he likes Shinji, and Shinji takes the role of tsundere, at one point telling Kaoru that guys don't like guys.) Anyway, Kaoru goes toward Adam, piloting Unit-02 from the outside, so it's up to Shinji and Unit-01 to stop him, as Beethoven plays.

Eventually, Shinji meets up with Kaoru, they fight for a while, and then Kaoru asks Shinji to kill him so Shinji can live. The Instrumentality happens soon after that, and nobody in the entire Eva fandom understands it, but apparently all of humanity exists in one organism.

libra113

[155]Dec 21, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

libra113 wrote:

To be fair, the anti-Jedi thing does have its roots also in the Ewoks. To give you an idea, "Ewok" is never mentioned in the movies and is still a household word.

libra113 wrote:
    I'm not sure WHY the repeal is such a victory. Under Don't Ask Don't Tell they were STILL finding out on their own (through highly questionable and possible illegal means) and kicking people out and, unless I miss something, all this means is they can ask again. Are their provisions to prevent them from kicking gays out? Are there ways for them to get around it by lying and saying it's something else so they CAN get away with it? To me thoes are the real questions. That and WHY they would want to turn out any willing, abled bodied and highly skilled members when they're recruitment numbers are below standard levels and they need all the people they can get. They're willing to lower academic requirements, let in people with criminal backgrounds, etc... but NOT if they happen to be attracked to memebers of the same sex? That make sense to ANYONE?

Well, supposedly they can't use sexual preference anymore. The military has actually asked that it be removed because they knew they'd have to remove it anyway if not for this, and they want time to get everyone else used to the idea.

If anyone's wondering about the Instrumentality reference, it's a reference to Neon Genesis Evangelion. The kids at NERV fight monsters called Angels. If an Angel comes into contact with Adam, the first Angel, all of humanity is destroyed. The last Angel is a boy, and the main character, Shinji, has a crush on him. (Look at where Shinji's eyes point to in the shower!) Kaoru is not really gay per se; he doesn't seem to be aware that such a thing exists. (In the manga, he likes Shinji, and Shinji takes the role of tsundere, at one point telling Kaoru that guys don't like guys.) Anyway, Kaoru goes toward Adam, piloting Unit-02 from the outside, so it's up to Shinji and Unit-01 to stop him, as Beethoven plays.

Eventually, Shinji meets up with Kaoru, they fight for a while, and then Kaoru asks Shinji to kill him so Shinji can live. The Instrumentality happens soon after that, and nobody in the entire Eva fandom understands it, but apparently all of humanity exists in one organism.

Yeah but their favorite trick is come up with some other reason to discharge a person, they've rarely (if ever) in the last several years discharged someone for being gay or lesbian, instead they call it conduct unbecoming if they're spotted coming out of a gay bar or are seen on the street with a date (meanwhile strait military personnel hit stripbars and frequent hookers, espcially over seas and no one bats an eye unless charges are made by someone who could embarass them publicly). One guy was going to sue becasue they hacked his privet laptop, in his privet residence and searched his privet e-mails and thus found out he was a sexually active gay man then dischaged him on something (don't recall what).

Don't ask don't tell was a joke becasue they didn't ask they just snooped and pryed and got the information any way they could. Still, it at least gave the discharged something to use as a basis for a suit when they were mistreated, not that I recall that going very well.

I just don't see where a group so desperate for members gets off being so picky as long as the applicants are able bodied and clear minded. Hell, they've even backed off their no tats policy (to keep current or ex-gangmembers out), lowered they physical and acedemic standards and kept people in longer than contracted through that stop loss stunt and there's a whole pool of people just dying to get in that they don't want.

Just plain stupid.

libra113

[156]Dec 21, 2010
    sramv9 wrote:
    ssfan12 wrote:

i also agree how much people have always complained about the show. it always seemed like minor things though, like people hated bella, questioned adding chuck when we was introduced, thought bugs was stupid, liked or didnt like angels. it was kind of like no show is perfect and you can find something to complain about if you want to complain. season 6 is a bit different. where other things might have been complaining about somewhat superficial things, complaining now seems to be complaints about the core of supernatural. story, main characters, writing, creativity, originality.

I agree with this. This season a lot of long time fans seem to be criticizing not just one or two little things but a broader change in the mix of all those elements you mention. So even though the existence of criticism may a constant, I do believe that there are many things very different about this season, and that the differences are the basis of a lot of the negative season six commentary I've been reading.
    Yes, season six is diffrent but diffrent doesn't mean bad and most of the stuff I've been reading is just complaining that it's not the same.

A show can't stay the same forever or it stagnates and dies. The show and the story has to evolve and change. Imagaine if the writers had such a fear of change. Sam and Dean would still be looking for John and hunting urban legends and trying to kill Yellow Eyes, the story would stalled in stage one.

To me this season they're TRYING to tell a new story and before they even get it really going people are refusing to even listen. That's all well and good, cool if you don't like the story that's fine but don't yell and scream and try and prevent the rest of us from listening to the story and seeing where it's going.

Personally, I'm exsisted to what's going happen with Purgatory, the Alphas, the Mother of all Monsters, Sam's mental wall, the war in Heaven, who is going to rule Hell and all that.

libra113

[158]Dec 21, 2010
    I don't really think it's worse it's just diffrent. It's a diffrent story with a diffrent POV and it's got a diffrent writing style. Some will like it and some won't, that's why it's such a temptation with lesser tv shows to maintain their status qou and never change anything because they're afrid of losing their almighty ratings, and in that enviorment creativity and originally CANNOT live.

ssfan12

[160]Dec 21, 2010

it is absolutely different, whether its worse is just opinions. its not up for debate though that the ratings have dropped enough that it's a pretty noticeable trend. i did go and check season 4 and 5 and the ratings did go up and down a lot. ratings were rarely consistent over long periods of time. that just backs up what i was saying about season 6. this season, ratings havent been up and down all over the place, they have been very consistent in dropping and becoming stable for a bit and then dropping again. i doubt it will go much lower then 2.0 consistently but we will have to see.

a show like supernatural where there is a hardcore fanbase, ratings are a really good indicator about how people feel about the story and season in general. the ratings show that there has been a noticeable drop in viewership as the season has gone on, and its been more consistent then anything the past few years. maybe when the show comes back ratings will be way up and down, who knows, but as of right now, its is proof that a lot of people have left the show.

again, the majority of spn fans will watch because its spn, sam and dean are hot and castiel too, and castiel watches porn and makes out with demons for no reason lol yay, hes so cute and funny. but a pretty large amount look to have not been enjoying the season and have left. im trying to point out real ratings trends and facts here to prove that "6th season should have never been made" is something that around 1/3 of spn fans look to have agreed with since the season 6 episode 1. im not arguing whether it deserves the ratings, though its clear how i feel, but the ratings are the ratings, thats just reality.