Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Archangels

lachlan_j_g

[1]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 11

ok so just to clarify - so far we have seen 4 archangels - 2 are dead, and the other 2 are in the cage. are there any more? im not clear on just how many there are?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]Apr 13, 2012
    • level: 27

lachlan_j_g wrote:

ok so just to clarify - so far we have seen 4 archangels - 2 are dead, and the other 2 are in the cage. are there any more? im not clear on just how many there are?

So far we've seen: Castiel, Anna, Uriel,Zachariah,Balthazar,Micheal, Lucifer,Raphael and Rachel. I think that's all.

lachlan_j_g

[3]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 11

libra113 wrote:

lachlan_j_g wrote:

So far we've seen: Castiel, Anna, Uriel,Zachariah,Balthazar,Micheal, Lucifer,Raphael and Rachel. I think that's all.

i thought Cas, Anna, Rachel, Uriel, Zach, Balthazar were all regular angels -I thought thatan archangel was a lot more powerful and able to easily throw regular angels around. Raphael & Gabriel are dead, Michael & Luficer are in the cage.

libra113

[4]Apr 14, 2012

lachlan_j_g wrote:

libra113 wrote:

lachlan_j_g wrote:

i thought Cas, Anna, Rachel, Uriel, Zach, Balthazar were all regular angels -I thought thatan archangel was a lot more powerful and able to easily throw regular angels around. Raphael & Gabriel are dead, Michael & Luficer are in the cage.

They were I was just naming off all of them angel or archangel without any distinction.

Noremac39

[5]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 1

According to Supernatural wiki episode 21 is gonna have 2 new Archangels in it. There will also be a new profit who Dean and Sam Winchester believe can help them defeat the Leviathans, but the Archangels want him for their own purposes.

gatoraderising

[6]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 7
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

I pretty sure in Supernatural there is only the 4 Archangels. Really only 2 now and their both trapped in Lucifer's Cage lol. If there was more they would have surfaced by now.

libra113

[7]Apr 14, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

I pretty sure in Supernatural there is only the 4 Archangels. Really only 2 now and their both trapped in Lucifer's Cage lol. If there was more they would have surfaced by now.
    Well, there could always be more. With the way things in Heaven have been going since the end of season five they may have been a bit preoccupied to show up on Earth (or have shown up already and we just don't know about it yet).

Either way we just have to wait and see if any others do show up before the series ends.

gatoraderising

[8]Apr 14, 2012
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Well, there could always be more. With the way things in Heaven have been going since the end of season five they may have been a bit preoccupied to show up on Earth (or have shown up already and we just don't know about it yet).

Either way we just have to wait and see if any others do show up before the series ends.

Ya there could be more but to me it would be kinda weird if all of sudden 2 more Archangels pop out of nowhere.

libra113

[9]Apr 14, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Ya there could be more but to me it would be kinda weird if all of sudden 2 more Archangels pop out of nowhere.
    Weird is the stock and trade of a show like this. I kinda wonder what makes an archangel? Do they start out as angels and getpromoted? Are they just there? When one is destroyed does another one rise up and take their place?

gatoraderising

[10]Apr 14, 2012
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Weird is the stock and trade of a show like this. I kinda wonder what makes an archangel? Do they start out as angels and getpromoted? Are they just there? When one is destroyed does another one rise up and take their place?

I think their just the first angel's God made. I don't know if another angel can just take the place of a archangel. If there was 2 more archangel out there you would think we would have heard about them before.

libra113

[11]Apr 14, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

I think their just the first angel's God made. I don't know if another angel can just take the place of a archangel. If there was 2 more archangel out there you would think we would have heard about them before.
    Probably. Interesting side note and "Supernatural" has never touch on this but in the classical story of Lucifer's fall there was a war in Heaven and some angels sided with him and fell right along with him. Might beinterestingif someone set them free in the world.

gatoraderising

[12]Apr 14, 2012
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Probably. Interesting side note and "Supernatural" has never touch on this but in the classical story of Lucifer's fall there was a war in Heaven and some angels sided with him and fell right along with him. Might beinterestingif someone set them free in the world.

I think there was more then just some that sided with Lucifer. I think in the lore the angels that werent kiiled in the battle in heaven that were on Lucifer's side became the first demon's in hell. It seems in Supernatural it was just Lucifer all by himself.

libra113

[13]Apr 15, 2012

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

gatoraderising wrote:
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

I think there was more then just some that sided with Lucifer. I think in the lore the angels that werent kiiled in the battle in heaven that were on Lucifer's side became the first demon's in hell. It seems in Supernatural it was just Lucifer all by himself.
    That's what I was saying HOWEVER, they never actually said that so they could easily take the standardinterpretationand introduce them. Of course, as I've said elsewhere, doing something like that now would be a step backward and shows should never move backwards.

Of course if they tied it in to the defeat of theLeviathansand gave them adifferentmotive than Lucifer's so that it would be a totally new story it MIGHT work. Just depend on how they went about it.

taxcat11

[14]May 6, 2012
    • level: 5

The show seems to have only used a small portion of angel lore. Angels do not change ranks and are very structured traditionally. There are 9 "choirs" or types of which supernatural has only dealt with3 (angels, archangels, "cupids"). Although supernatural claims archangel to be the highest, they are actually ranked 8th only above angels. From the top down: Seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and lastly angels. Most choirs' duties have nothing to do with dealing directly with humans. The so called cupids aren't angelsreally as they belong to greek/roman mythology- Cupid was the son of goddess Venus. Visually Cupid is linked to cherubs both are portrayed as children with wings and so are confused for each other.

libra113

[15]May 6, 2012

taxcat11 wrote:

The show seems to have only used a small portion of angel lore. Angels do not change ranks and are very structured traditionally. There are 9 "choirs" or types of which supernatural has only dealt with3 (angels, archangels, "cupids"). Although supernatural claims archangel to be the highest, they are actually ranked 8th only above angels. From the top down: Seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and lastly angels. Most choirs' duties have nothing to do with dealing directly with humans. The so called cupids aren't angelsreally as they belong to greek/roman mythology- Cupid was the son of goddess Venus. Visually Cupid is linked to cherubs both are portrayed as children with wings and so are confused for each other.

As I'm sure you know they always take liberty with the lore and reshape it to fit their story. Putting in too many ranks of angels would have just over complicated an already over taxed story and now it's a bit late to being throwing in more ranks.

smegmag

[16]May 6, 2012
    • level: 4
    libra113 wrote:

taxcat11 wrote:

As I'm sure you know they always take liberty with the lore and reshape it to fit their story. Putting in too many ranks of angels would have just over complicated an already over taxed story and now it's a bit late to being throwing in more ranks.

Yeah, they do love to mix up lore with show canon---btw one of the angels who fell with Lucifer according to actual lore was named Azazel--he was a prince of hell and corrupted humanity by giving us technology and science. Cool.

Also, that whole 2 new archangels thing was either a mistake or a misdirect. Clearly there was nothing "arch" about those dolts since they turned out to be Cas's old garrison mates and he was their captain. Also how cool to learn that Cas was a "watcher" although obviously not one of the bad ones.

libra113

[17]May 6, 2012

smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

taxcat11 wrote:

Yeah, they do love to mix up lore with show canon---btw one of the angels who fell with Lucifer according to actual lore was named Azazel--he was a prince of hell and corrupted humanity by giving us technology and science. Cool. Also, that whole 2 new archangels thing was either a mistake or a misdirect. Clearly there was nothing "arch" about those dolts since they turned out to be Cas's old garrison mates and he was their captain. Also how cool to learn that Cas was a "watcher" although obviously not one of the bad ones.
    I don't recall anyone in the show saying they werearchangels, that was coming from people on here who assumed they were the archangels who were supposed to be protecting the keeper.

smegmag

[18]May 6, 2012
    • level: 4
    libra113 wrote:

smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

taxcat11 wrote:

Yeah, they do love to mix up lore with show canon---btw one of the angels who fell with Lucifer according to actual lore was named Azazel--he was a prince of hell and corrupted humanity by giving us technology and science. Cool. Also, that whole 2 new archangels thing was either a mistake or a misdirect. Clearly there was nothing "arch" about those dolts since they turned out to be Cas's old garrison mates and he was their captain. Also how cool to learn that Cas was a "watcher" although obviously not one of the bad ones.
    I don't recall anyone in the show saying they werearchangels, that was coming from people on here who assumed they were the archangels who were supposed to be protecting the keeper.

The archangels description which was discussed in this thread originally came from the "official" episode description on the CW website:

CASTIEL AWAKENS FROM HIS COMATOSE STATE - Meg (guest star Rachel Miner) calls Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) and tells them Castiel (guest star Misha Collins) is awake and talking. Meanwhile, a teenager named Kevin (guest star Osric Chau) gets hit by a bolt of lightening and is turned into a reluctant prophet. Sam and Dean believe Kevin holds the key to defeating the Leviathans but must fight off two Archangels who want him for their own purposes. The episode was written and directed by Ben Edlund (#721)

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/episodes/721

hence, I would say the reference was either a mistake or a misdirect.

gatoraderising

[19]May 6, 2012
    smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

taxcat11 wrote:

The archangels description which was discussed in this thread originally came from the "official" episode description on the CW website:

CASTIEL AWAKENS FROM HIS COMATOSE STATE - Meg (guest star Rachel Miner) calls Dean (Jensen Ackles) and Sam (Jared Padalecki) and tells them Castiel (guest star Misha Collins) is awake and talking. Meanwhile, a teenager named Kevin (guest star Osric Chau) gets hit by a bolt of lightening and is turned into a reluctant prophet. Sam and Dean believe Kevin holds the key to defeating the Leviathans but must fight off two Archangels who want him for their own purposes. The episode was written and directed by Ben Edlund (#721)

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/episodes/721

hence, I would say the reference was either a mistake or a misdirect.

I'm going to go with misdirect.

taxcat11

[20]May 6, 2012
    • level: 5

Well, I think they may have painted themselves into a corner by calling the keeperof the word:a prophet. Archangels guard prophets, but really I am not sure the word keeper is a prophet. He is not seeing the future or the present, he is merely "reading" what is written in a language nobody would know. Maybe a keeper doesn't rate a personal archangel or maybe heaven is currently out of them, although more than four have been named in various sources - the actual number of archangels is anybody's guess.