Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Castiel!!! Spin off series...

vortexjumper

[1]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 8
    Just thinking that maybe at the end of Supernatural's awesome run (if Castiel survives) maybe his character would be a good forerunner for a spin-off series. The overall story-arc being Castiels back story and eternal battle with Satan and his demon armies et al.. but each episode could be in a different time frame with him recruiting, training, and aiding hunters. For example an episode in the wild west with the making of the colt... What does everyone think?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ToxicAngel503

[2]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 26
    That would be cool, but honestly, I think it should all end with the show. And I highly doubt the CW would actually do a spinoff with Angels and Demons and stuff without the "hot eye candy" to pull in their targeted audience.

mbuckler

[3]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 9
    I don't know but I like the thought. I'm a big Castiel fan I like the new edition to Supernatural. He's like a mentor for Dean. I spin off would be an interesting thing to see.
    Edited on 10/04/2008 5:45pm

ToxicAngel503

[4]Oct 4, 2008
    I'm in love with Castiel! I just don't think they would go for a whole show about him.

libra113

[5]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 27
    Well, once the show is done there's nothing saying they would HAVE to go through the CW. Warner Brothers studios (who seem to love and fully back the show all the way and always have)own the rights so they could move to the big screen with prequels or follow up movies, or they could pull a "Stargate SG-1" and do direct to video movies. Thoes are really starting to get big and don't have the stigma they used to.

ToxicAngel503

[6]Oct 4, 2008
    I don't want a spin-off. Like I said in the other thread, Sam and Dean represent the story for me. I mean the story is bigger than them. There is so much more beyond them, or at least potential to be more, but I don't want there to be. I'm not one of those "Oh my gaaawd, they're like so totally hawt!!" Hell, I'm usually the one bashing those chicks. I just don't want the story to expand beyond them because to me, it would cheapen their story. I think this is their story and I want it to stay that way. I don't want no Angel (not the creature, am referencing Angel from Buffy) or anything like that. I want this all contained in these five seasons of Supernatural because Supernatural is the story and the faces of that story is Sam and Dean. No bros, no show.

rickytux22

[7]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    Not a huge fan of the spin off idea think that it wouldn't have enough substance for more than a season if that. I guess you could do a spin off with him fighting before the Fall when Lucifer lead his army of angels against heaven or what he is doing now while Dean and Sam are doing their thing but I'm no to interested in those prospects. I'd like him as a character on Supernatural but that's about it

libra113

[8]Oct 4, 2008
    I would kind of like to see what new characters out there hunting would be like. Sadly, too many of the hunters they're doing these days are getting kind of cookie cutter and I would like to see diffrent versions and seeing them working together in their own series. Also, like to see new relationships like just a mother/daughter, father/son, husband/wife, brother/sister, etc... I think there's a lot more story to tell and lot more perspectives if they could get some fans to open their minds and not be so Sam/Dean centeric and expect every hunter to be just like them all the time. I would like to see some country music loving cowboy hunters or goth punk hunter or even more of the priest hunters like we saw with Pastor Jim.

supering

[9]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 20
    if there is a spin off series, I'm all for it. Whether it's about castiel, or the old West, or whatever. I'm not sitting here like praying there will be one, but not against it in any way

shmandda

[10]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 19
    Yeah, I'm with Supes here....if they happened to do a spin-off (of any kind), then awesome. If not, then that's cool too.

libra113

[11]Oct 5, 2008
    Well, anyone who doesn't want it doesn't HAVE to watch it. The people who only care about Sam and Dean and not the greater world don't have to bother at all. Personally, we've spent all this time seeing how THEIR relationship colors THEIR corner of the world and I would like to see how other dynatics does the same thing. The core of the show is them and how they interact but that's not to say other dynatics and types of relationships wouldn't be just as intresting (and Heaven forbid maybe even MORE intresting) to explore and observe. Hunting has been around long before them, they are far from the only hunters in actions and it's high time we explored that further. I've beening wanting to see the greater world and meet other hunters (who don't die or turn against the guys)and devolp that world. It's long overdue and sorely missed. Of course what do I know? I'm the fool who thought there was also room in this world for non-hunters who know what's going on and react to that information diffrents, such as make money trading in supernatural objects or something. Guess not.

shmandda

[12]Oct 5, 2008
    • level: 19
    Oh no, I'm not saying that it wouldn't be interesting to see another side of this world. In fact, to use an example, when Angel was spun off of Buffy, I kind of felt luke warm to the idea in the beginning, kind of like why would they do that to this world that I know and love. But after a while I actually became one of those people who likes Angel just a bit more than I do Buffy. So, needless to say I learned my lesson there....I'm so not opposed to seeing a different view of SN all. Hell, I wouldn't even mind seeing a Ghostfacers project of some kind (*runs and hides from the rocks being pelted at her* ). I'm just saying that, to sort of quote Supes here, I'm not one of those people sitting around praying for it I guess.

ToxicAngel503

[13]Oct 5, 2008
    Okay, never said I wouldn't watch it. I would really miss the jokes from Dean, Sam's b!tchiness, and the angsty bromance, but I would have to watch it. Dude! Okay, I will make an exception for Ghostfacers because they crack me up .

libra113

[14]Oct 5, 2008
    Yeah, I would like to see a "Ghostfacers" thing on tv (internet shorts don't intrest me at all)but I think to sell it they would have to have a hunter or a psychic or someone who REALLY knows the score join the group because, let's face it, they're knowledge of the supernatural (the 'real' supernatural) is pretty limited. Maybe, Tamera could get saddled with them or something.

tv_lover066

[15]Oct 5, 2008
    Well, now i love castiel but i don't know if he's got the goods to pull off his own spin-off. With the Winchesters there is a direction but with Castiel there is a question mark in my mind. Then again I said the same about Angel spinoff and turns out I find that much more enjoyable than buffy however if there is a spin off then i would definitely watch it but if it doesn't happen then i would be perfectly content with our 5 SN seasons.

libra113

[16]Oct 5, 2008
    tv_lover066 wrote:
    Well, now i love castiel but i don't know if he's got the goods to pull off his own spin-off. With the Winchesters there is a direction but with Castiel there is a question mark in my mind. Then again I said the same about Angel spinoff and turns out I find that much more enjoyable than buffy however if there is a spin off then i would definitely watch it but if it doesn't happen then i would be perfectly content with our 5 SN seasons.
    I think the best way that could work would be if Castiel was more an advisor to other characters. I think it would ruin him if we saw him too much and learned too much about him. Maybe it could be him and a couple of other angels and two or three humans (maybe a hunter, a psychic and someone elese or something). To me too much detail and screen time would be like when DC started to reveal too much about the Phantom Stranger. He was a cool character when we didn't know anything about him but when they started to try and tell us WHO he was and give him his own comics it took away the mystery.

BuffyFreak777

[17]Oct 6, 2008

libra113 wrote:
    tv_lover066 wrote:
    I think the best way that could work would be if Castiel was more an advisor to other characters. I think it would ruin him if we saw him too much and learned too much about him. Maybe it could be him and a couple of other angels and two or three humans (maybe a hunter, a psychic and someone elese or something). To me too much detail and screen time would be like when DC started to reveal too much about the Phantom Stranger. He was a cool character when we didn't know anything about him but when they started to try and tell us WHO he was and give him his own comics it took away the mystery.

I agree with that 100%. I think his mystery is part of his charm. I mean I fell head-over-heels in love with him from his first scene, and normally you'd want to see more of the character you really like, but in this case, nope. As long as he makes a little appearance every now and then, I'm a happy camper.

cherry_brandy

[18]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 9
    When I hear the word spin off I automatically shudder. I agree with Toxic in that I think it would cheapen the story but that's not to say that I wouldn't watch it. They would have to give it a totally different title though and none of that '...and who knows maybe their old friends Dean and Sam might call in for a coffee' crap. The brother's story should end when SN ends otherwise ugh - Cheap and Nasty.

As for Castiel, if they did a spin off with him the timeline would have to be present onwards as he hasn't been to earth in 2000 years - unless of course - no not going there. I love the character, but in his own show I think he'd get a little blach.

vortexjumper

[19]Oct 6, 2008
    • level: 8
    Just remember Cherry Brandy, to angels I think time is relative...Castiel was after all in the past with Dean!!! I do however agree to certain extents with Libra 113. Castiel as an advisor giving the "Supernatural segway(sp?)" into a new spin-off. But whats to say he couldn't be like the watchers on Buffy/Angel possibly even training a new angel who was deemed worthy to join the battle ranks like say Agent Hendricksen.

tv_lover066

[20]Oct 6, 2008
    Well I had a thought that could have worked , in my mind at least, what if Castiel had his Angel status taken away...then he would be like a normal guy but with the same mind...he would be coming into the world which would be so new and strange to him meaning we would get to see him adjust which could be interesting. Maybe he could team up with some hunter or a psychic?? Then I thought, but if that happens then we wouldn't exactly have Mischa Collins playing Castiel since he is just a vessel....hmmmm...and there is an accept no Castiel substitues policy i am bound to! No one but Mischa!!