Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Dean's eyes bleeding in "Bloody Mary" (Spoilers for Upcoming Episodes)

historylover20

[1]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 28
    OK. As some of you know, "Supernatural" had a forum at the William S. Paley Television Festival. I found a blog, and I passed it to some of you.

But, one thing that wasn't in the blog (and it was reported by a couple of other audience members) is that Kripke stated that the fact that Dean's eyes started bleeding in "Bloody Mary" is significant, and it will be addressed in an upcoming episode (or episodes.)

So, obviously Dean has some sort of secret which causes his eyes to bleed. And it's more than the fact that Mary got out of the mirror (because if that's the case, it wouldn't be addressed again).

What do you guys think Dean's secret is? I have my own theories, but I want to know what you guys think.

Kat
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

goblz

[2]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 10
    I'm not sure what my theories are on this, lol. What are YOURS?

historylover20

[3]Mar 9, 2006
    I think while hunting he wasn't honest with someone about a particular danger and they died.

Kat

archangelcory16

[4]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 32
    What comes to my mind...hmm, something about a girl and sexual relations. And then death.

Ruthin4Eva

[5]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 5
    I think Dean has a deeper connection with the thing that killed his mother and Jess. I think he knows a lot more about it than he lets on. I also think that there is a reason why he has never been able to move on with his life. After Dean's comment in Nightmare when he says "As long as I'm around, you'll be safe" or something of that nature, I started to get a sneaky suspicion that Dean may be the only one who can protect Sam, for some reason which may be supernatural or may not be, and that's why he was forced to take care of him for most of his childhood.

Those are just a few thoughts. Of course, I could, and probably will, be wrong, but those are just my immediate instincts.

historylover20

[6]Mar 9, 2006
    No, I think that you may be on to something.

Kat

SciFiLover

[7]Mar 9, 2006
    • level: 8
    oooohhhh... That makes a lot of sense. That Dean is the only one who can protect Sam. I've a few theories so to what that could mean.

1. John cast a spell on the boys when they were younger without Sam's knowledge so that Dean would be Sam's protector from harm.
    2. Sam's growing gifts are "gifts" that were given to him by a higher power and only a blood relative can protect it... and John can't protect them b/c he is fighting the big bad.

Kind of a stretch, but a possibility.

goblz

[8]Mar 9, 2006
    Hmmm... so Dean would be like Sam's talisman or something. Very interesting. I hadn't really considered that.

sams1ra

[9]Mar 10, 2006
    Ruthin4Eva wrote:
    I think Dean has a deeper connection with the thing that killed his mother and Jess. I think he knows a lot more about it than he lets on. I also think that there is a reason why he has never been able to move on with his life. After Dean's comment in Nightmare when he says "As long as I'm around, you'll be safe" or something of that nature, I started to get a sneaky suspicion that Dean may be the only one who can protect Sam, for some reason which may be supernatural or may not be, and that's why he was forced to take care of him for most of his childhood.

I think so too. I've said on another thread that I think Sam wasn't the only one to get a visit from the thing that killed their mom that night, and the way he just can't let go even after 22 years could mean something.
    I have a couple more theories though. I was thinking about "Faith", and maybe that guy that died to save Dean wasn't the first one (and if I go back to what I was saying before, maybe Dean was in the room with Sam when Mary got there the second time?)
    Another theory, that seems the most logical to me because it's the most expected one, is that he tried to protect someone and failed. Too easy, I know, but... who knows?

Edit: I just had another thought. They said that Dean's necklace means something (I knew it! I knew it!!). I was thinking about that look he had at the end of "Nightmare". Maybe that thing is a charm to keep his powers dormant? (Though I don't know why we didn't see anything in "Skin". Maybe he can partially control them?) And maybe, not using his powers, whatever they may be, got someone killed? Like when Sam saw the woman in their house in "Home" and helped her, or the guy in "Nightmare"...
    Edited on 03/10/2006 3:29am

historylover20

[10]Mar 10, 2006
    sams1ra wrote:

Edit: I just had another thought. They said that Dean's necklace means something (I knew it! I knew it!!). I was thinking about that look he had at the end of "Nightmare". Maybe that thing is a charm to keep his powers dormant? (Though I don't know why we didn't see anything in "Skin". Maybe he can partially control them?) And maybe, not using his powers, whatever they may be, got someone killed? Like when Sam saw the woman in their house in "Home" and helped her, or the guy in "Nightmare"...

Or (piggybacking off of that...) Dean was using whatever power he's got and someone was killed...?

Just throwing out a theory. I don't believe Dean has any supernatural powers. I'd rather he didn't, because it doesn't look like Dean is going to just be the sidekick. Leave the supernatural power to Sam.

Kat

Only_dodo_bird

[11]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 12
    I also agree that if Dean has powers, it'd be a little bit too much. I like how they help people without gifts(well besides Sam's gifts, but he doesn't know how to use them). I think if they gave Dean powers they'd be kicking a dead horse.

Also, about the necklace. I really want to find out why it's so important. But that's a whole another story completely.

I really like the idea about how maybe he let someone die. But I don't know. I really just want to see how it all plays out.

historylover20

[12]Mar 10, 2006
    Dean probably doesn't have any supernatural powers, like Sam does. However, if he has anything, it's probably some sort of a demon's instinct. To hunt monsters that long has to have some sort of monsterous effect on the psyche. It's very possible that Dean views himself as not only as a "freak" but as a quasi-monster, like the things he hunts. He might identify with them. Which also might explain why he takes such a hard line to them--everyone evil or demonic should be killed. No shades of gray.

I'm definitely not saying that Dean is a demon like some of us have speculated about John. He's obviously not. But, he may actually view himself as a monster. And he's got his own monsters and demons, probably even more than Sam. There's certainly more of a fatalism about him (see "Faith.") This also might relate to the possiblity that he may have not been able to save someone during a hunt-gone-wrong.

Sometimes we forget how dangerous Dean really is. He's sexy; he's hilarious. But, I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley. (Now, if I met Jensen Ackles... )

Now, I'm not sure how this relates to the eye bleeding. I just wanted to share my opinions (and to expand on my original theory.)

Does this make any sense? I'm probably just rambling.

Kat

sams1ra

[13]Mar 11, 2006
    I don't know, but I have a feeling that whatever it is would be disappointing (cuz everything short of it having to do with Mary would be, wouldn't it?) I hope they write it well either way.

vic7337

[14]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    yeh

hoggcorp

[15]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    Maybe Dean felt really guilty about the people he hadn't been able to save? And Mary interpreted it as being guilty of the deaths

sams1ra

[16]Mar 11, 2006
    hoggcorp wrote:
    Maybe Dean felt really guilty about the people he hadn't been able to save? And Mary interpreted it as being guilty of the deaths

I don't think they would have singled out that event if it was just guilt over things he couldn't help. They mentioned that eppi for a reason, so I'm pretty sure there's more to it.

sams1ra

[17]Mar 12, 2006
    I have a test to study for, so of course I'm watching SN reruns instead, and I just had a sick thought. What if Dean secretly wanted for something to happen to Sam, something that would make him want to hunt again, and then Jess got killed. It's not like he killed anyone, but still "ghosts don't exactly see shades of gray"...

ayumidah

[18]Mar 12, 2006
    I read a fiction that suggested that. It's possible. Sam would be very mad at that, wouldn't he? Eek more brotherly angst.

m0nster1nc

[19]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 11
    some peoples think it's just that he was there that mary attacked him... i think so too. (you'll probably think i'm unimaginative, and you'll be right)

historylover20

[20]Mar 13, 2006
    m0nster1nc wrote:
    some peoples think it's just that he was there that mary attacked him... i think so too. (you'll probably think i'm unimaginative, and you'll be right)

The creator said at the William S. Paley Festival that his eyes bleeding mean more than that. If it was only because Mary was out of the mirror, it wouldn't be revisited. However, Kripke mentioned that it was going to be revisited in a later episode.

Kat