Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Dean's pendant- ?

H_Louise

[1]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 53
    Does anyone know what Dean wears around his neck- the pendant thing? And what its significance is?

In 'Skin' we see him rip it off his other self so it must be important to him. Any thoughts or theories?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

bannack

[2]Mar 10, 2006
    • level: 1
    We will be finding out the importance of Dean's necklace this season but right now it is a mystery.

vic7337

[3]Mar 11, 2006
    • level: 3
    Yep!

kierens25

[4]Mar 13, 2006
    • level: 6
    There's already about five forums out there for this subject. Search the other forums before creating a new one for something that has already been discussed over and over again.

Pedroff

[5]Mar 13, 2006
    kierens25 wrote:
    There's already about five forums out there for this subject. Search the other forums before creating a new one for something that has already been discussed over and over again.

I think you meant to say thread not forum.

kierens25

[6]Mar 14, 2006
    Pedroff wrote:
    kierens25 wrote:

No. Forum. Threads as well, but forums galore. This site, other sites every frickin' site in the world. I meant forum.

Pedroff

[7]Mar 14, 2006
    kierens25 wrote:
    Pedroff wrote:
    kierens25 wrote:

No. Forum. Threads as well, but forums galore. This site, other sites every frickin' site in the world. I meant forum.

Oh ok, I thought you were just talking about this sites forum alone.

goblz

[8]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 10
    If there's not a thread in this particular forum about this topic, then what's the problem? Not all of us are on every other board.

historylover20

[9]Mar 14, 2006
    • level: 28
    No kidding. No one else seems to have a problem with this topic. Plus, none of the other forums have been able to come up with a definitive answer. Maybe this forum will.

Kat

Only_dodo_bird

[10]Mar 16, 2006
    • level: 12
    historylover20 wrote:
    No kidding. No one else seems to have a problem with this topic. Plus, none of the other forums have been able to come up with a definitive answer. Maybe this forum will.

Kat

I agree.

sams1ra

[11]May 23, 2006
    Okay, this damn thing's still bugging me. I thought they were going to answer it in the last eppi, but... they didn't! Urgh! Kripke did say it was important. I read many theories on what it might be, and I had a couple of my own, but I just came across this fic that had an interesting idea. We don't know where he got the necklace from, or when. The fic suggested it was given to him by his mother when he was born, that she used to tie it around his wrist when he was a baby and that's why the demon didn't get to him. I sort of like the idea, because other then the Winchesters, all the other kids (Max, the little baby in Salvation etc.) were all only children... What do you think?

H_Louise

[12]May 23, 2006
    • level: 53
    I like that idea too, it has to be some sort of protection charm.

fireflycrew

[13]May 23, 2006

my friend n i...we're in our business studies class (shhhh) believe that the pendant is most definatly some sort of charm. Maybe it's a gift from a magical 'lady friend' on one of his solo missions.... or he took the charm off a supernatural foe as a kind of trophy...?

lots 'o' love sam n aimee ^_^

back to the bank reconciliations *sigh*

ciara99

[14]May 23, 2006
    thats what i thought too, that one of the people from one of his solo-missions gave it to him as a thank-you and he really liked it.

sifichick

[15]May 23, 2006
    • level: 14

If ya'll don't mind I"ll take this moment to re-iterate my theory on the pendant (I wrote it on the speculations and spoiler thread, but I know some folks don't like that thread because of the spoiler part)

I too had been thinking about some of the things folks have been saying about Dean's pendant. 

A lot of folks seem to think that it indicates that it represents protection for HIM against evil.

My theory is that it represents Him as THE ProtecTOR. 

I don't really think it imbues him with any special powers or anything, but maybe because it's sacred to him - it gives him a psychological edge - that sense of purpose that goes a lot further than vengeance - that's why he's so dedicated to the family business - that's why he's so adamant about helping anyone who he perceives as weaker than himself. 

This would explain why some of the things that have happened to him have happened - the electrocution, and other things that are not quite so... savory.  (trying not to spoil for anyone who hasn't gotten there yet).  Let me know if any of you think this could be a good explanation. 

And as I said before - Yes, I am starved for attention. 

Lucey

[16]May 23, 2006
    • level: 16
    That's sounds the most logical to me. It would just be a little too creepy if it was some sacred symbol that made people come back from the dead and on and on. Kripke might make it work, but even for Supernatural, it's a bit...different. Just my little humble opinion. I know Kripke will do something with it...one day...hopefully anyways.

sams1ra

[17]May 23, 2006
    Sifichick, I really like your idea. It sounds reasonable enough. BUT in one of the interviews (don't remember which) someone from production said Dean's pendant, the fact his eyes bled in 'Bloody Mary' and the city of Sacramento all have a special meaning to be revealed eventually. Dean definitely has a deep connection to that pendent, and if it's not obvious from the fact that he never takes it off (even in the shower - 'Bugs'), then that scene in 'Skin' makes it even more obvious. I still think it has something to do with The Demon

brighette

[18]May 23, 2006
    • level: 15

sams1ra wrote:
    Sifichick, I really like your idea. It sounds reasonable enough. BUT in one of the interviews (don't remember which) someone from production said Dean's pendant, the fact his eyes bled in 'Bloody Mary' and the city of Sacramento all have a special meaning to be revealed eventually. Dean definitely has a deep connection to that pendent, and if it's not obvious from the fact that he never takes it off (even in the shower - 'Bugs'), then that scene in 'Skin' makes it even more obvious. I still think it has something to do with The Demon

Yeah, I wish they'd get to at least one of those meanings They've been alluding to them in interviews for a while now. I thought maybe one would be discovered by the end of this season.

EDIT: I don't believe that Dean has had the pendant since he was a baby/child, though. Simply because 4 year old and 9 year old Dean didn't have it (Pilot and Something Wicked). So it came sometime after then. I read an interesting fic where it was imbued with Fear and Loyalty, which allowed him to be a better protector. The fear manifested itself in him by the fear of losing his family, and loyalty - well, we all know he's loyal to a fault when it comes to Sam and John. These qualities make him more aware of what's around him and able to make decisions very quickly without thought of his own mortality when it comes to his family.

Whatever it is, I expect it will be worth the wait once Kripke et all choose to share it with us!
    Edited on 05/23/2006 10:59pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MissAJ

[19]May 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    I like the it has something to do with his mom theory. Like maybe he found it in her stuff and uses it as a good luck charm.
    Or since he does say in an interveiw that it's an eygiptian(spelt wrong) protection thingy, maybe he did get it from a girl.

sifichick

[20]May 24, 2006
    • level: 14
    brighette wrote:
    sams1ra wrote:

Yeah, I wish they'd get to at least one of those meanings They've been alluding to them in interviews for a while now. I thought maybe one would be discovered by the end of this season.

EDIT: I don't believe that Dean has had the pendant since he was a baby/child, though. Simply because 4 year old and 9 year old Dean didn't have it (Pilot and Something Wicked). So it came sometime after then. I read an interesting fic where it was imbued with Fear and Loyalty, which allowed him to be a better protector. The fear manifested itself in him by the fear of losing his family, and loyalty - well, we all know he's loyal to a fault when it comes to Sam and John. These qualities make him more aware of what's around him and able to make decisions very quickly without thought of his own mortality when it comes to his family.

Whatever it is, I expect it will be worth the wait once Kripke et all choose to share it with us!

Hmmm didn't know about the bloody mary eyes bleeding thing as a truly important plot point - Just figured her power manifested itself into this reality once her mirror was broken and she was able to crawl out. However - if he does have some secret - and believe me I could think of a dozen off the top of my head - that would make him feel that kind of "Bloody Mary" guilt - first and foremost being that maybe as a child he himself got the sibling jealousy bug under his skin and "wished" something would take Sammy away - and not too much further down the road voila, Mary's dead trying to protect Sam - (I'll probably get a lot of flak for this but just because he kissed baby sammy on the head in the pilot doesn't mean anything - he still coulda been jealous) and let's face it - kids can be petty - then when they were sitting on the car while the fire dept was dousing their house, John was holding Sammy and kissing his head while Dean was left out of John's embrace - clinging to him from the outside if you will. That kind of thing might be where the guilt came from - or I could be totally wrong. It happens.

:J