Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Deep Freeze for Lisa?

taxcat11

[1]May 20, 2010
    • level: 5

I guess everybody noticed by now that Supernatural has come full circle...We started with Sam living the dream with Jessica & Dean showing up and now we ended season 5 with Dean living the dream with Lisa & Sam showing up. So do you want Lisa to be fridged?(The term fridged comes from the Green Lantern comic books - it refers to a character the hero cares for who ends up murdered which forces the hero back to being a hero, in this case the character ended up in the refridgerator) It's kind of hackey but writers still do it. What do you think?

Edited on 05/20/2010 6:37pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]May 20, 2010
    • level: 27
    Not only do I want Lisa and Ben BOTH fridged (never felt the Lisa/Ben thing was a good idea starting with "The Children Are Alright") but, more importantly, the story NEEDS it to give Dean his edge back after who knows how long out of hunting and to give him a motivation to fight.

motleylil

[3]May 21, 2010
    • level: 19

Yes, but he deserves a few months of happy life in the meantime. He did just save the world. I mean, give the guy a break, for God's sake.

libra113

[4]May 21, 2010
    motleylil wrote:

Yes, but he deserves a few months of happy life in the meantime. He did just save the world. I mean, give the guy a break, for God's sake.

Well, they are skipping ahead an unknown number of years so he WILL have that and it will make it all the more heartbreaking when he finds Lisa and Ben dead.

ScareyKitty

[5]May 21, 2010
    • level: 5

libra113 wrote:
    motleylil wrote:

Well, they are skipping ahead an unknown number of years so he WILL have that and it will make it all the more heartbreaking when he finds Lisa and Ben dead.

Well, in that closing scene,Dean doesn't look all that happy to me, he may have saved the world but he couldn't save his brother and thats what his father told him to do! I think he feels a failure and adrift in a world he dreamt about but doesn't understand. Without Sam he's only one side of the coin and no matter how much small change he collects around him he's still incomplete!

I also want him free again and I am hoping that the new season can pull it off! I REALLY want season 6 to be a success. This has been a brilliant series and deserves to live longer. Having said that....... I want QUALITY of life so I am throwing masses of good vibes out there to the writers, please dont let us down.

libra113

[6]May 21, 2010
    Yeah, I think that the whole saving the world and then settling down with Lisa thing isn't tasting as sweet as he had hoped given the high cost of victory.

I can't really see him being happy and REALLY enjoying a normal life knowing something of what Sam was going through in Hell (Dean's had a taste of it and knows what Sam is going through is WAY worse).

Personally I think Lisa and Ben being killed would be more powerful and emotional but I guess her getting sick of his not REALLY being there in body, mind AND spirit and kicking him to curb would be much the same but less viserally effective.

gamrgrl007

[7]May 28, 2010
    • level: 10

I, for one, HATE this Dean-Lisa-Kid thing the writers have suddenly got going on. Even with or without Sam's 'loss'...

1. ...when was it DEAN'S dream to lead a 'pass-the-potoatoes' life? Why is THIS his choice for supposedly the 'rest of his life'?

2. ...Dean hammers it into Sam's skull over 5 seasons that they're MEANT to be hunters of evil, to end up as a disillusioned, unemployed house-husband of sorts?

3. ...when did Lisa, who appeared as one of Dean's many, many girlfriends in ONE episode in the previous four seasons become SO IMPORTANT to him to seek solace with when a tragedy this big has hit him?

4. ...if they HAD to get Dean a love interest, why kill Jo, with whomthe creatorshad actually invested to build up sort of a relationship with Dean, and introduce a girl with whom he clearly hasn't had any emotional attachment since the start of the show? How, and WHYis she suddenly the sole anchor of his life, when she doesn't even KNOW what his real life is like?

Etc. Etc. including the fact that Jensen Ackles seems to have zero chemistry with whoever is playing Lisa. It's just boring and annoying to watch them. It's ironic that after waiting 5 years to introduce a leading lady for Dean, they stashed Lisa on us.

So given that I don't see how Lisa is important to Dean to begin with, I don't see how her dying will impact him severely. But of course, that's what WILL happen, and we'll be forced to deal with it, so YAWN.

libra113

[8]May 28, 2010
    Well, the thing is that Jo wasn't very popular AND she didn't seem to really click with Dean either. She always came off more as a little sister than anything.

Personally, I liked Cassie best and they actually had an established history of sorts but again the bulk of viewers didn't liker her EITHER so I guess they were stuck.

dpebbleson

[9]May 28, 2010
    • level: 23
    I think it was established by Bela example that fans shouldn't be listen, as the most vocal ones are possessive fan-girls who view all these women on the show as a threat (?).

But of all these women, I think Lisa is the one with the worst chemistry, and Cassie is the one with the most 'history' so as Libra, I'd prefer her as well.

jake-sf

[10]May 28, 2010
    • level: 6

gamrgrl007 wrote:

I, for one, HATE this Dean-Lisa-Kid thing the writers have suddenly got going on. Even with or without Sam's 'loss'...

1. ...when was it DEAN'S dream to lead a 'pass-the-potoatoes' life? Why is THIS his choice for supposedly the 'rest of his life'?

2. ...Dean hammers it into Sam's skull over 5 seasons that they're MEANT to be hunters of evil, to end up as a disillusioned, unemployed house-husband of sorts?

3. ...when did Lisa, who appeared as one of Dean's many, many girlfriends in ONE episode in the previous four seasons become SO IMPORTANT to him to seek solace with when a tragedy this big has hit him?

4. ...if they HAD to get Dean a love interest, why kill Jo, with whomthe creatorshad actually invested to build up sort of a relationship with Dean, and introduce a girl with whom he clearly hasn't had any emotional attachment since the start of the show? How, and WHYis she suddenly the sole anchor of his life, when she doesn't even KNOW what his real life is like?

Etc. Etc. including the fact that Jensen Ackles seems to have zero chemistry with whoever is playing Lisa. It's just boring and annoying to watch them. It's ironic that after waiting 5 years to introduce a leading lady for Dean, they stashed Lisa on us.

So given that I don't see how Lisa is important to Dean to begin with, I don't see how her dying will impact him severely. But of course, that's what WILL happen, and we'll be forced to deal with it, so YAWN.

Oh my, I don't know, maybe Dean somehow showed us before that he wished he could live a simple life? He would love it simple, he just always lived knowing he would never actually get that life. But because of Sam he made the promise. I don't think he's comfortable in it either.

Why is Lisa important... I don't know, the KID maybe? Which they didn't really show there, but he saw something in him, he thought it was his, etc... and he knew Lisa wanted him to say. All that left a bigger mark on him and thats why he came back to her. No other girlfriends made that impact.

Some common sense, please.

JasP123

[11]May 29, 2010
    • level: 3

Wow it looks like i'm in the minority. I actually really like Lisa. She seems like a mature confident woman with her own life, who isn't pinning after Dean. They seem like equals in the relationship as opposed to Dean and Jo where Dean always seemed alot older and more mature. Obviously I hope the relationship won't work out, because supernatural isn't that kind of show, but I don't mind her sticking around for a few weeks.

I_Want_Pie

[12]May 29, 2010

gamrgrl007 wrote:

As far as 1 goes, seriously?!?

Were you not paying attention during What is and What Should Never Be or Dream a Little Dream of Me? I think it's been very well established that deep down, Dean wants picnics and a lawn to mow. I mean this goes back to Season 2 at the latest.

As far as Lisa goes, she was in 2 episodes in Season 3. It was also pretty much established that she was Dean's dream girl. I'm thinking the circus sex probably contributed to that. She like Cassie also knows the truth about what Dean's job is.

DerekWhitehead

[13]May 29, 2010

NO! They can get rid of Lisa but the whole "killing every girl in the show" thing gets pretty annoying. I think they can use a few more characters. I don't want Lisa to get killed but I don't want her to become too much of an important character.

libra113

[14]Jun 1, 2010
    DerekWhitehead wrote:

NO! They can get rid of Lisa but the whole "killing every girl in the show" thing gets pretty annoying. I think they can use a few more characters. I don't want Lisa to get killed but I don't want her to become too much of an important character.

But they HAVE to kill everyone who gets too close to either Sam or Dean (especially love intrests) becasue it's their lot in life to be alone and living the life. That kind of life is forever out of reach for them that's the what we've been told from day one and suddenly changing the rules in midstream wouldn't make sense.

RachelleMcAdams

[15]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 11
    libra113 wrote:
    DerekWhitehead wrote:

But they HAVE to kill everyone who gets too close to either Sam or Dean (especially love intrests) becasue it's their lot in life to be alone and living the life. That kind of life is forever out of reach for them that's the what we've been told from day one and suddenly changing the rules in midstream wouldn't make sense.

I eant Dean to back in hunting because he wants to nto because he is driven by giilt and revenge so I doubt their kill Lisa off.

libra113

[16]Jun 1, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    DerekWhitehead wrote:

I eant Dean to back in hunting because he wants to nto because he is driven by giilt and revenge so I doubt their kill Lisa off.
    If I were a betting man I would bet Lisa and Ben don't make it out of the first episode alive.

The rules of the show and of narriative fiction such as this really doesn't give them any choice in the matter. For them to restore the status qou and move the show forward they HAVE to die.

There's just no place for them in the narritive of Sam and Dean's lives.

Mickis

[17]Jun 2, 2010
    • level: 4

I don't think it's necessary to kill off Lisa and her kid. Despite Dean's promise to Sam, I just can't see him being able to enjoy himself in that house with her as much as he'd like to think. Not just the fact that Sam is suffering in hell, but just innocent people everywhere. Dean's always been the kind of person to carry the world's problems on his shoulders.

Imagine everytime he reads something suspicious in the paper, or hears something on the news. He's trained to catch weird and demonic sh*t where normal people wouldn't. He'd feel like maybe, oh, that's one death I could have prevented. That's one tragedy I could have stopped. Remember that episode where he was in the fantasy world where Sam still had Jess, and he was dating some nurse. He looked stuff up on the net and found out that all those people he'd saved were now dead because he got to live the american dream. I just don't think he'd be able to shut it off. It would eat him from the inside, and eventually Lisa would have to notice, right?

They could just go their seperate ways, break up. People do it all the time, even without the massive weight of guilt wearing them down. Maybe they just didn't get along, relationship wise. I really don't see why they'd have to kill her off. I mean, yeah, not a big fan of this sudden thing 'hey, here's Lisa. The love of Dean's life, didn't you know?' but I think the killing off every single character at least ONCE is getting old at this point.

Just have him dump her and go back out on the road with Sam.

gamrgrl007

[18]Jun 6, 2010

I_Want_Pie wrote:
    As far as 1 goes, seriously?!?

Were you not paying attention during What is and What Should Never Be or Dream a Little Dream of Me? I think it's been very well established that deep down, Dean wants picnics and a lawn to mow. I mean this goes back to Season 2 at the latest.

As far as Lisa goes, she was in 2 episodes in Season 3. It was also pretty much established that she was Dean's dream girl. I'm thinking the circus sex probably contributed to that. She like Cassie also knows the truth about what Dean's job is.

Well, if appearing in 2 episodes out of a 100+ justifies Lisa being Dean's 'Dream Girl' then sure, why not?

jake-sf wrote:
    Why is Lisa important... I don't know, the KID maybe? Which they didn't really show there, but he saw something in him, he thought it was his, etc... and he knew Lisa wanted him to say. All that left a bigger mark on him and thats why he came back to her. No other girlfriends made that impact.

Some common sense, please.

The KID? Seriously? Then why not that girl in "Dead in the water"? Dean got along great with HER kid too.

It's actually 'common sense' that indicates that this whole Lisa business is a contrived cop-out. So here's what Dean decided. "Hmm, apocalypse over, Sam's gone, let's be what I always wanted to be - unemployed house-husband! So who should I settle with? Lisa... yeah, Lisa. I like her kid, and she's okay with taking me in, so, yeah, cool whatever."

Even the Chuck-Jenny hookup on Gossip Girl probably had greater relevance.

I'm not against Dean "settling down". But for a show that is 'serious' and takes relationships seriously, this was like, wham. They should've invested more time in developing the relationship, building the emotional bond between Dean & Lisa, make it seem like he REALLY needs her love, her support. What I see here is Dean USING Lisa as a temporary distraction before he returns to his 'chosen' life. I just hope they invest enough time and explanationin the 'break-up' and justify it better than that 'hookup'.

And if they kill off Lisa & kid, that's just going to make the whole business lamer still, if that's possible.

***Serious spoiler about S6: from an interview with Jensen, don't read if you don't want stuff spoiled***

***SPOILER***

Edited on 06/06/2010 12:51pm
    Edited 2 total times.

writergirl06

[19]Jun 6, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, the thing is that Jo wasn't very popular AND she didn't seem to really click with Dean either. She always came off more as a little sister than anything.

Personally, I liked Cassie best and they actually had an established history of sorts but again the bulk of viewers didn't liker her EITHER so I guess they were stuck.

People didn't like Cassie? Loco. She was the best of the bunch.

libra113

[20]Jun 7, 2010
    writergirl06 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

People didn't like Cassie? Loco. She was the best of the bunch.
    No aurgument here but some people didn't like her, I wasn't one of them.

A break up lacks the emotional impact of Dean walking into the house and finding her dead. Besides it's a family tradition (John went through losing Mary, Sam lost Jess, it's Dean's turn) and is in keeping with the whole recalling season one. I mean how much impact would the first episode had if Sam came home and Jessica had left him so he decides that without her he might as well hunt? Zero compaired to her ending up flambe on the cealing of their place. This will give Dean a personal motive to get back into the game. For years he did it for his mom and becasue of his dad NOW it's REALLY personal.

Maybe the kid can just be missing but my concern is sinc he's a kid they will have to make sure to show that Sam and Dean are looking for him in EVERY episode and as much as some fans felt it fake that Sam and Dean took other hunts and took breaks looking for John they're going to feel it even more with them looking for some helpless kid.

I would say, recast the kid (since time has passed) and have him being possessed by the demon that kills Lisa. Then a few episodes in have him die and the demon switch bodies.