Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Deep Freeze for Lisa?

RachelleMcAdams

[41]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 11
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah but they WOULD have died AND many died off screen between John's first encounter and Sam and Dean's final encounter with the creature.

I'm not saying they have to make a meal out of it but they have to get rid of these characters as quickly and dramatically as possible so Sam and Dean can get back on the road and on with the hunting evil for revenge thing that they do.

No those were 3 month year old babies dying. Supernatural may be dark with monsters and evil demons but killing kids is way too dark for this show.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lost-kyle

[42]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 9

What about if lisa dies and dean has to look after ben, it would be like sam and deans father looking after them all those years out hunting after his wife's killer. I think it may be good in terms of drama.

Still i think there will be deep freeze for Lisa

libra113

[43]Jun 21, 2010
    • level: 27
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah but they WOULD have died AND many died off screen between John's first encounter and Sam and Dean's final encounter with the creature.

I'm not saying they have to make a meal out of it but they have to get rid of these characters as quickly and dramatically as possible so Sam and Dean can get back on the road and on with the hunting evil for revenge thing that they do.

No those were 3 month year old babies dying. Supernatural may be dark with monsters and evil demons but killing kids is way too dark for this show.
    So it's ok to kill three month old babies but a kid is crossing a line? That makes no sense.

Hell, they even heavily implied that Lilith ate babies and showed her personal cheif stealing a baby. Again, no one is saying they have to graphically show Ben being killed but that's not to say he CAN'T die off screen.

libra113

[44]Jun 21, 2010
    lost-kyle wrote:

What about if lisa dies and dean has to look after ben, it would be like sam and deans father looking after them all those years out hunting after his wife's killer. I think it may be good in terms of drama.

Still i think there will be deep freeze for Lisa

God no, there's just no place in the show for Sam or Dean to have kids to take care of or wives or steady girlfriends tagging along.

I think they either kill them both OR, have them both possessed or something as long as it gets them out of the way of REAL focus of the show: Sam and Dean and their rocky ups and down as brothers. That's the show begining to end.

dpebbleson

[45]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 24
    libra113 wrote:
    Oh I agree about Dean's motives, they don't NEED to be driven by revenge per se however, there ARE a couple of issues kind of haning in the air that SHOULD be dealt with:

(1) Lisa and Ben themselves- As I said they are anchors that hold Dean in place and this is a road show so they HAVE to be removed in some way. Now I'm NOT a fan of either of them so yeah a brutial death would be my perfect option. I've also, suggested possession (in fact having her possessed from the start, maybe right after her first on screen appearance or even before WOULD explain some issues I have with her as a character), maybe they could BOTH be possessed by survents of the new big bad and try to carry out a hit on Dean which fails and leads him to try and save them (of corse the longer that drags out the more tedius it will become AND the less likely he will succseed given how hard demons are on their host bodies). A plan old kidnapping is kind of limiting becasue then if Dean doesn't focus on getting them back 24/7 it won't seem real and it would severally handicap his character from being himself. Maybe if it turns out that Lisa has been possessed from the start and it turns out everything they had was a lie then it would allow him a clean break since he never really knew the REAL Lisa after all and even if the demon is removed it would be unlikely that the REAL Lisa would be the same or want to hang around. The kid is a trickier issue but must be gotten rid of as well. Perhaps in a switch HE is the big bad leader and the demon inside Lisa is his servant playing a part.

(2) Whatever they do will (and must) have a profound effect on Dean's characters. He MUST morn their passing, be angry at their abuduction, etc... So the Dean we get is not going be the Dean we've seen before but someone new.

No matter what they do they have their work cut out for them AND things aren't going to be the same, I don't envy their postion at all.

Okay, I agree with you on many points, but let me make a parallel to another show. It's 'The X-Files' which is sort-of a spiritual ancestor to SPN. They had really great 7 seasons, and imagine this thing:

- They wrapped the entire story-line, but they needed to continue. It would screw a lot if they assigned a new skeptic detective to Mulder, because that's the part of the dynamics - Mulder always needs someone sober next to him, who will challenge him.

And in fact, Seasons 8 and 9 sucked just because of that. They rehashed the show, cast Dodget (skeptic) and Reyes (believer), which is basically like S1 of 'X-Files' started. And it sucked because it was already cliched, and predictable.

Now that's why I think usign cliches is a dangerous thing. If S6 starts the same as S1 (with the death of the loved ones), it will feel all the same.

See, that's what I meant

RachelleMcAdams

[46]Jun 22, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah but they WOULD have died AND many died off screen between John's first encounter and Sam and Dean's final encounter with the creature. I'm not saying they have to make a meal out of it but they have to get rid of these characters as quickly and dramatically as possible so Sam and Dean can get back on the road and on with the hunting evil for revenge thing that they do.
    So it's ok to kill three month old babies but a kid is crossing a line? That makes no sense. Hell, they even heavily implied that Lilith ate babies and showed her personal cheif stealing a baby. Again, no one is saying they have to graphically show Ben being killed but that's not to say he CAN'T die off screen.

Well, I never said that now did I? In real life kids are killed by pedophiles but babies are being killed by abortion more often so in movies and shows abortion is happening all the time so it may be wrong and extremely sad but it something that happens in real life all the time so it not all suprising. Again, In every horror movie I seen execept nightmare on elm street(where it's implied freddy kills kids but never shown and when he dies he kils teenagers instead) Kids have either survived, almost died, or like in this weird alien movie have gone missing but it's never been implied they died. I could see Ben almost dying or held hostage by the demons to use bait to lure Dean in but killing him off or even Lisa would be cliched and bring back the angst from S4 and S5 that the show doesn'tdon't need.

Edited on 06/22/2010 12:46pm

libra113

[47]Jun 22, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Oh I agree about Dean's motives, they don't NEED to be driven by revenge per se however, there ARE a couple of issues kind of haning in the air that SHOULD be dealt with:

(1) Lisa and Ben themselves- As I said they are anchors that hold Dean in place and this is a road show so they HAVE to be removed in some way. Now I'm NOT a fan of either of them so yeah a brutial death would be my perfect option. I've also, suggested possession (in fact having her possessed from the start, maybe right after her first on screen appearance or even before WOULD explain some issues I have with her as a character), maybe they could BOTH be possessed by survents of the new big bad and try to carry out a hit on Dean which fails and leads him to try and save them (of corse the longer that drags out the more tedius it will become AND the less likely he will succseed given how hard demons are on their host bodies). A plan old kidnapping is kind of limiting becasue then if Dean doesn't focus on getting them back 24/7 it won't seem real and it would severally handicap his character from being himself. Maybe if it turns out that Lisa has been possessed from the start and it turns out everything they had was a lie then it would allow him a clean break since he never really knew the REAL Lisa after all and even if the demon is removed it would be unlikely that the REAL Lisa would be the same or want to hang around. The kid is a trickier issue but must be gotten rid of as well. Perhaps in a switch HE is the big bad leader and the demon inside Lisa is his servant playing a part.

(2) Whatever they do will (and must) have a profound effect on Dean's characters. He MUST morn their passing, be angry at their abuduction, etc... So the Dean we get is not going be the Dean we've seen before but someone new.

No matter what they do they have their work cut out for them AND things aren't going to be the same, I don't envy their postion at all.

Okay, I agree with you on many points, but let me make a parallel to another show. It's 'The X-Files' which is sort-of a spiritual ancestor to SPN. They had really great 7 seasons, and imagine this thing:

- They wrapped the entire story-line, but they needed to continue. It would screw a lot if they assigned a new skeptic detective to Mulder, because that's the part of the dynamics - Mulder always needs someone sober next to him, who will challenge him.

And in fact, Seasons 8 and 9 sucked just because of that. They rehashed the show, cast Dodget (skeptic) and Reyes (believer), which is basically like S1 of 'X-Files' started. And it sucked because it was already cliched, and predictable.

Now that's why I think usign cliches is a dangerous thing. If S6 starts the same as S1 (with the death of the loved ones), it will feel all the same.

See, that's what I meant
    Maybe but from what I remember of the "X-Files" that's the only dynamic that would work.

I mean if they got two agents who didn't beleave then they would just quit the X-Files and take normal FBI cases and if they both beleaved then they would dig deeper and just accept everything at face value.

In the case of "Supernatural" the show IS Sam and Dean, everyone else has a ticking clock over their heads and will likely either just go away or die so thoes are basically the options: either Lisa and Ben go away or they die.

Given the status the writers have choosen to give Lisa in particular (very out of nowhere and making no sense or having no grounding in reality whatsoever) having her just go away isn't going to be an easy sell so that leaves death.

Further, it tied Dean into John who lost Mary and Sam who lost Jessica.

Death of a loved one may be cliche but it's also how the show works. You can't do away with a recurring story theme just becasue it's been done before that's what recurring story themes are.

libra113

[48]Jun 22, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah but they WOULD have died AND many died off screen between John's first encounter and Sam and Dean's final encounter with the creature. I'm not saying they have to make a meal out of it but they have to get rid of these characters as quickly and dramatically as possible so Sam and Dean can get back on the road and on with the hunting evil for revenge thing that they do.
    So it's ok to kill three month old babies but a kid is crossing a line? That makes no sense. Hell, they even heavily implied that Lilith ate babies and showed her personal cheif stealing a baby. Again, no one is saying they have to graphically show Ben being killed but that's not to say he CAN'T die off screen.

Well, I never said that now did I? In real life kids are killed by pedophiles but babies are being killed by abortion more often so in movies and shows abortion is happening all the time so it may be wrong and extremely sad but it something that happens in real life all the time so it not all suprising. Again, In every horror movie I seen execept nightmare on elm street(where it's implied freddy kills kids but never shown and when he dies he kils teenagers instead) Kids have either survived, almost died, or like in this weird alien movie have gone missing but it's never been implied they died. I could see Ben almost dying or held hostage by the demons to use bait to lure Dean in but killing him off or even Lisa would be cliched and bring back the angst from S4 and S5 that the show doesn'tdon't need.

Be that as it may the cold hard truth is: "Supernatural" is Sam and Dean there is no room for it to be about anyone else. There's no place in the show for long term girlfriends, wives, kids and all that, there just isn't room.

There is no doubt they will be out of the picture either right away or by the end of the first episode the REAL question is HOW.

RachelleMcAdams

[49]Jun 22, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Be that as it may the cold hard truth is: "Supernatural" is Sam and Dean there is no room for it to be about anyone else. There's no place in the show for long term girlfriends, wives, kids and all that, there just isn't room. There is no doubt they will be out of the picture either right away or by the end of the first episode the REAL question is HOW.

Well Jensen said in a interview that Lisa and ben will appear in two or three episodes in S6 and from there and then onI assume Sam will come and drag Dean back in to hunting.

Edited on 06/22/2010 2:07pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Mickis

[50]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 4

Touchy touchy. Libra, you need to chill. I mean really. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I feel like you're shoving your thoughts on the show down everyone's throat. Kind of a 'my way or the highway' theme seems to come with your posts.

I get that you think that the show is about Sam and Dean and no one else. Nothing will ever change, new characters are only brought in to die a horrible death and plotlines will be used over and over to keep the theme of the show. I sense a fear of change here. It's been stated now what you think will/should happen in season 6, I don't see any reason for you to keep disagreeing with every other post here who doesn't dance to your flute.

Chill. Seriously. It's a TV show and people are free to speculate and have their own views of it. So just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

dpebbleson

[51]Jun 22, 2010
    • level: 24
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

See, that's what I meant
    Maybe but from what I remember of the "X-Files" that's the only dynamic that would work.

I mean if they got two agents who didn't beleave then they would just quit the X-Files and take normal FBI cases and if they both beleaved then they would dig deeper and just accept everything at face value.

But, that's it - it didn't work! The fans disliked the last two seasons, and they just didn't make sense... The core dynamics was there, but simply didn't work. Didn't produce satisfaction like the previous seasons. Or, put differently, it worked perfectly, but like those clocks - it simply worked, there was no pleasure in it, because, like clock, it was ticking in the same rhythm.

I'd be eagerly waiting for SPN to deconstruct itself, and prove that it can change dynamics, while retaining the same 'Sam and Dean' core

RachelleMcAdams

[52]Jun 22, 2010
    Mickis wrote:

Touchy touchy. Libra, you need to chill. I mean really. I know everyone's entitled to their own opinion, but I feel like you're shoving your thoughts on the show down everyone's throat. Kind of a 'my way or the highway' theme seems to come with your posts.

I get that you think that the show is about Sam and Dean and no one else. Nothing will ever change, new characters are only brought in to die a horrible death and plotlines will be used over and over to keep the theme of the show. I sense a fear of change here. It's been stated now what you think will/should happen in season 6, I don't see any reason for you to keep disagreeing with every other post here who doesn't dance to your flute.

Chill. Seriously. It's a TV show and people are free to speculate and have their own views of it. So just agree to disagree and leave it at that.

Agreed and Haha

libra113

[53]Jun 23, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Be that as it may the cold hard truth is: "Supernatural" is Sam and Dean there is no room for it to be about anyone else. There's no place in the show for long term girlfriends, wives, kids and all that, there just isn't room. There is no doubt they will be out of the picture either right away or by the end of the first episode the REAL question is HOW.

Well Jensen said in a interview that Lisa and ben will appear in two or three episodes in S6 and from there and then onI assume Sam will come and drag Dean back in to hunting.

Well, I can't see how they're going to do that many episode of Dean being a normal guy without boring everyone. That's not what we've tuned in to see, we've tuned in to see him fighting evil.

libra113

[54]Jun 23, 2010
    Mickis wrote:

Well, except that's how the show works. Ever wonder WHY other characters don't get the air time that Sam and Dean get? Why pretty much any time anyone gets close to their level they end being written out of the show.

Maybe, it would be a broader, richer show with a full cast but the time to have done that would have been season one. They could have devloped Pastor Jim and Caleb more and added others but they choose to kill them off because the show is Sam and Dean.

Nature of the beast.

libra113

[55]Jun 23, 2010
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

See, that's what I meant

But, that's it - it didn't work! The fans disliked the last two seasons, and they just didn't make sense... The core dynamics was there, but simply didn't work. Didn't produce satisfaction like the previous seasons. Or, put differently, it worked perfectly, but like those clocks - it simply worked, there was no pleasure in it, because, like clock, it was ticking in the same rhythm.

I'd be eagerly waiting for SPN to deconstruct itself, and prove that it can change dynamics, while retaining the same 'Sam and Dean' core
    Well, in the case of that show it was more anger over replacing the two original actors. That would be like if "Supernatural" suddenly focused on two other hunters and didn't have Sam and Dean anymore. It wouldn't matter if the characters were carbon copies of Sam and Dean or totally original and new, it still wouldn't be them.

I wouldn't be opposed to doing that except that's not, from what I've read, they have planned and I doubt it would work either.

From what I read this season is going to start out just like season one only with Sam and Dean's roles switched. The logical conclusion being: Sam shows up and talks Dean into taking on one last job and then Dean comes back, finds Lisa and Ben dead and decides to continue hunting to get revenge for their deaths.

May not like that, may feel it's been done and is played (although I would say it's more in keeping with the themes of the show and how, if you look, history keeps repeating itself on the show) but that SOUNDS very much like the plan unless they change their minds or what they're saying is intentionally misleading.

If they could come up with something fun and entertaining to do that's diffrent, more power to them, but I can't see Lisa and Ben tagging along. I can't see them just going away being heart breaking and dark enough. The only thing that fits the show's tone is horrible bloody death and revenge.

ToxicAngel503

[56]Jun 25, 2010
    • level: 26

Just making a pit stop. I don't love Lisa but I support her relationship with Dean however they decide to make it happen. It wasn't all sunshine and roses like I prayed it wouldn't be so I'm okay with what they do. Oh, and Libs? You sound like a sex-crazed psycho drooling-at-the-mouth fangirl who is afraid of boobs getting in the way of the beautiful romance that is Sam and Dean. I would put the eye-rolling emoticon but um...where did it go? :-/

Edited on 06/25/2010 11:59am

libra113

[57]Jun 26, 2010
    Nope, just a realist. Sam and Dean ARE the show. Cas managed to make some inroads but only because Sam and Dean were growing apart and Cas was able to take Sam's place AND carry his own weight. Can't say I see Lisa and Ben being able to do either of thoes things.

In any case something has to be done to get her out of the way of the story and letting her live is just too much of a lose end. Maybe Dean walks away but that doesn't mean Meg or someone is going to want to paint the walls with her blood just on principle.

Demonicka

[58]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 2

I wish Dean could dump Lisa. This would be a better solution for me rather than killing her. It would show that she wasn't so important. Dean is a man who likes the rock'n'roll life, not the apple pie one. So leaving her would be the best confirmation that Dean's character is still the one I remember from the first two seasons.

basenji529

[59]Jul 19, 2010
    • level: 15

I'd like to introduce you to Women In Refrigerators. It's inevitable. Women, especially love interests, will be stuffed into the fridge. This is to maintain circular storyline: I can easily keep friendships in the background, but in a society emphasizing (heterosexual) romantic love over all else, people want to ship, so once a girl is introduced, Sam or Dean has to fall in love with her, and she's a Yoko; Ruby actually parodied this by being the ultimate Yoko. (Well, actually, that's closer to Go And Seduce My Arch Nemesis, in a rare "no turn" example,but still...)

Of course, Supernatural is hardly a circular storyline; the demon storyline took up essentially four seasons.

Those Greeks had it right: Four words for love.

libra113

[60]Jul 19, 2010
    Actually, what would be kind of fun would be if Lisa was possessed all along (well from around "The Children Are Alright" onward), which would nicely explain one aspect of her character that always bugged me, namely that Dean is a vurtial stranger, he has dangerous enemies who a threat to him and everyone around him and she invites him to live in her home with her small child.

I get graditude but that's willfully putting an innocent child in harm's way for her own selfish sexual needs.

I also never bought that a real an lastig relationship can spring up so quickly from one weekend years ago between two people who really barely know each other. Therefore the idea that up until the point where she stopped spurning his advances onward she was possessed and was drawing him into her life to get close to him. Maybe not even a demon, maybe a Succubus or something which would explain why he kept coming back when it defied all logic and reason.

I would LOVE for something that would tie up the whole Lisa/Ben thing once and for all AND make it make sense but the realist side of me can't shake the idea that they will just do the quickest, easist thing to get Sam and Dean back in action and well we all know what that is.