Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Everlasting "Snubbed" TV Series

beilmandulin

[1]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 10

With the TV.com end of the year awards and pollscoming and also the Golden Globes nominations coming out, it got me thinking. These awards show people must have some preconcieved notion or stereotypical biasin mind when they think about Supernatural and considering it for award nominations.

If they had an award for NOT getting awards or even nominations, I think that Supernatural would win. Even on this sites' less professional and just fan based polls, Supernatural doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Until Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki [sp]?, (and Mischa Collins and Jim Beaver etc.)some of the directors,and/or just the whole show overall gets a nominationfor either a Golden Globe, an Emmy or any other major TVaward(or even justa TV.combest of the year nomination), it should get the "Always snubbed show" award. (lol)

I think that every single year that those award nominations come out, Supernatural should just be listed asa permant "snub" when writing articles about "snubs and surprises" etc. until there ARE nominations for the show.

Anybody agree or disagree?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dpebbleson

[2]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 23
    I agree that Supernatural doesn't get the attention it deserves. It's much smarter than many shows I've seen, and actually has a theme to it. It's not just pure fun and scare, it raises some issues, and doesn't put aside the ideas it provokes, which is evident in meta-episodes.

I think in time people will learn to appreciate it much, much better. Many great works in literature weren't very famous or accepted by the critics, yet are now classics. And many of these classics wouldn't even get published today. They'd be deemed boring and whatnot. So popularity or flashy awards aren't measure of what's good. They can indicate it, but are not a definitive proof. Who knows what goes behind the curtains of these awards - lobbying, mass voting at its worst, money...

Maybe 'Supernatural' won't ever get a major award, but we shouldn't be discouraged. I think many of the awarded shows will fade into the oblivion, and not even their awards will be able to save them from it.

libra113

[3]Dec 14, 2010
    • level: 27
    Meh, the show has never gotten the rewards it should and, in general, shows like this tend to get ignored unless they have hot flesh to flash for attention and the willingness to play to lowest common denomitor to actually do that.

Personally, if it's a choice I would rather they not get attention then get that kind of attention AND I would rather they do good work and not worry about awards and all that.

beilmandulin

[4]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 10

libra113 wrote:
    Meh, the show has never gotten the rewards it should and, in general, shows like this tend to get ignored unless they have hot flesh to flash for attention and the willingness to play to lowest common denomitor to actually do that. Personally, if it's a choice I would rather they not get attention then get that kind of attention AND I would rather they do good work and not worry about awards and all that.

I totally agree with you but Iwish that it would just beacknowledged for being the amazing show that it is at least once for crying out loud.

basenji529

[5]Dec 15, 2010
    • level: 15

It's not just always losing out in the award shows. They put it on Friday this season, and it's doing pretty well.

libra113

[6]Dec 15, 2010
    basenji529 wrote:

It's not just always losing out in the award shows. They put it on Friday this season, and it's doing pretty well.

Well rewards and ratings are two diffrent things.

I will say, generally, "Supernatural" does well in fan based awards and voting situations (becasue we're all just whacky enough to vote a gillion times ). It's just in the more 'industry' stuff that they (and other shows like it that don't resort to t&a to get attention or are on major networks)get ignored and passed over for lesser work.

jack756

[7]Dec 16, 2010
    • level: 14

i not shock supernatural doesnt get any awards b.c i have notice a while now alot of scifi shows dont get credit for the work they do .i gues ppl consider scifi shows not worth it.for me scifi is a harder job than something normal b.c in scifi u have to pretend something is there when actually u looking at a green screen(u have to use ur imagation)

one day scifi shows will all get the credit they deserve(da only dram i watch is 90210 and i mean thats all i watch thats not scifibut anyway all i watch is scifi b.c it gives u something 2 watch without thinking about the real world u knw and for me since im black i dont have alot of fave black actors or actress b.c theres not any blacks n scifi shows besides halle berry even do shes mix and will smith.)

i hope sn win a award..1 day

god71

[8]Dec 17, 2010
    • level: 2
    libra113 wrote:
    basenji529 wrote:

I will say, generally, "Supernatural" does well in fan based awards and voting situations (becasue we're all just whacky enough to vote a gillion times ). It's just in the more 'industry' stuff that they (and other shows like it that don't resort to t&a to get attention or are on major networks)get ignored and passed over for lesser work.

you are wrong supernatrl dosnt get voted cos other shows do

dpebbleson

[10]Dec 18, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    god71 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    basenji529 wrote:

you are wrong supernatrl dosnt get voted cos other shows do
    What are you going on about? I've been reading your posts since I got on a few moments ago and it looks like you shouldn't post drunk.

libra113

[11]Dec 18, 2010
    Seriously I was reading this person's posts all over the board this morning and I had a hard time getting what they were typing.

Not trying to be snide or anything just didn't get what they were saying is all.

dpebbleson

[12]Dec 18, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Seriously I was reading this person's posts all over the board this morning and I had a hard time getting what they were typing.

Not trying to be snide or anything just didn't get what they were saying is all.

Honestly, I couldn't make much of them myself. I'm blaming myself, I must be retarded for not being able to understand such clarity of thought put into words

god71

[13]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 2
    lol sorry about that last nite okay

supernatural gets igoored i think cos the critics think they will seem...less proffessoinal or something if they bring it up for a nominaton?

dpebbleson

[14]Dec 18, 2010
    I recently saw a list of tv shows by some internet tv guide, it was top 100, and SPN ranked 15th I think, far higher than likes of 'Fringe' (at the bottom of the list), 'Heroes' or 'Lost'. That's something I guess.

libra113

[15]Dec 18, 2010
    god71 wrote:

supernatural gets igoored i think cos the critics think they will seem...less proffessoinal or something if they bring it up for a nominaton?
    It's okay, we all have our moments.

The industry as a whole doesn't take sci-fi/fantasy/horror nearly as seriously as 'real world' dramas, it's pretty much always been that way. That's why they've established their own awards.

dpebbleson

[16]Dec 19, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    god71 wrote:

The industry as a whole doesn't take sci-fi/fantasy/horror nearly as seriously as 'real world' dramas, it's pretty much always been that way. That's why they've established their own awards.

I've noticed that at universities as well. It's like, you have serious literature, and you have sci-fi/fantasy/horror, and you're far less respected if you write a dissertation on sci-fi, then on some classic.

I've been watching 'Battlestar Galactica' (2004) for the first time, and I must say I'm stunned at how good it is. Yeah, it's sci-fi, but it's also drama, and is more about people and human nature, and tough choices, survival, hatred and whatnot. It's very serious, and it's sci-fi. They don't exclude each other, but people simply have limited minds, they can't put sci-fi and serious into the same box, it's just some long, long prejudice, probably from the fact that in its beginnings, sci-fi was kind of naive and pulp.

libra113

[17]Dec 19, 2010
    Yeah, I think it dates back to the day when sci-fi was just guys in rubber alien suits and cardboard ships on strings and fantasy was just female looking dudes in robes with funny ears. Still, I think stuff like "Battlestar", "Supernatural", "Lord of the Rings", ect... are TRYING to buck that and prove it CAN be done deep.

Funny thing is "Walking Dead" my fav new show has been getting a lot of praise from the jump (it was even picked up for season two based on the ratings of the first two episodes alone)for being more about the characters and their struggles than about zombies and gore (not that it doesn't have that being that A&E can get away with headshots and gore). It's also a really good new show and it's good to see it get it's due.

tvtome_xena321

[18]Mar 19, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    god71 wrote:

Yep its true they dont take it seriously, and its a shame. However the only Sci-fi/fantasy/horror show that actually won emmys and golden golbes are X-Files and Lost. I'm not sure if any other ones did. But to be honest, I dont care about emmys or golbes, they mean nothing to me, and theres plenty of other smaller awards that sn or any other cult following show can win.

libra113

[19]Mar 19, 2011
    Yeah reward shows kind of lost all their credibility and luster when there got to be so many of them and it became clear that it was all about what gets the most rating, has the most money to lobby to win the awards and so on.

To me the Oscars (for example) are out and out rigged becasue I remember one year the critics were complaining about the lack of independant films then the next year ALL the nominated films were independant films.

To me that says that the people who run the show hand pick not only the nomines but the winners as well. I've also heard that they allow academy members to vote on awards based on things that they have no clue about and they just vote for their friends.

The whole thing has long ago stopped represented actul quality, if it ever did and I'm sure all award shows are the same.

tvtome_xena321

[20]Mar 20, 2011
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah reward shows kind of lost all their credibility and luster when there got to be so many of them and it became clear that it was all about what gets the most rating, has the most money to lobby to win the awards and so on.

To me the Oscars (for example) are out and out rigged becasue I remember one year the critics were complaining about the lack of independant films then the next year ALL the nominated films were independant films.

To me that says that the people who run the show hand pick not only the nomines but the winners as well. I've also heard that they allow academy members to vote on awards based on things that they have no clue about and they just vote for their friends.

The whole thing has long ago stopped represented actul quality, if it ever did and I'm sure all award shows are the same.

True, its very rigged and biased and agree with all your points.

But at the end of the day, cult shows rule, like for instance does a show say like seinfeld or ER have conventions still going unlike shows like Buffy, Xena, X-Files etc. have been ended for year, which still have so much profits with conventions and merchandise. Half the shows that win awards barely get mentioned or talked about years after they end, and thats why shows like supernatural have a greater post-series impact for years to come.