Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

I Wish the Show Would Get **SCARY**...

  • Avatar of DigitalCrash29

    DigitalCrash29

    [21]Jan 13, 2006
    • member since: 12/09/04
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 60
    Yeah, I completely agree. In my opinion though, Bloody Mary wasn't scary, I just simply didn't find it that scary. Like all of you have said, they have had the capability of being scary, just that they haven't gone the extra mile. Now I'm the one feeling like a broken record... but yeah... they need to get into the mind of the viewer and think, what would scare them? I can think up the fear of liking something awful, might not be the best fear though. Of course the fear that involves tragedy probably is the strongest... and awkwards sensations. Like as I wrote the short story in my topic "The Beginning of a Case" I couldn't help but think of adding more to the pianist, and what I thought was horrid and just (if they added the haunted piano legend) what would make the show scary.

    (Note: This is just going to be somewhat of a story, so you can just skip this if you want to)
    Imagine a family who had just gotten a piano, they are happy, and they are oblivious to the fact that its haunted. They gather around the piano and play melodies and have a wonderful time together, they have never felt closer. Then one day the family goes out, umm... shopping? well... anyhow... they look at the piano as they leave and as they leave the great times that they've had with it return to them, they love the piano dearly. "Let's go", the father says to his son, "Forget your keys, hun?", the wife says "Right". He grabs the keys, and looks at the piano, and they leave. The car door closes, and as that happens a soft sweet melody starts to play (abruptly, out of no where), one that is sad or joyful depending on one's mood (hard to think of, huh?). It is night time or at least somewhat dark (not entirely dark, during that time of day when everything's a cold bluish color, exactly the color of the day when it's about to rain), the soft sweet melody plays, and as the reader you can feel the great memories you've had over the years, the memories with your family and friends. Of course, you have to ask, who is playing that music? slowly a mysterious fog starts to form on the bottom of the room... the floor basically, and it's makes its way across the bottom floor until it covers the area (not the second floor as it can't go upstairs).

    Now I know I'm mixing two worlds here, the real world and the fake world (by stating the "reader")... but... as the reader, imagine walking across the house, strolling... being lured by the music and also by the curiousity as to who is playing it, yet you feel frightened because of the fog, and thus you walk to where the piano is with reluctance. The fact that no one else is there yet the fact that music is playing adds to that suspense. Frightened, yet curious, you move closer to the living room, where the piano is. You walk across a hall... the fear inside of you rising, heart racing. Then, your somewhere near the piano, you look to your right, as that's where the music is coming from, and there... through that opening in the wall (as living rooms don't have doors) you see a figure in a coat playing a piano, the piano. You're petrified in place, you don't want to go on, but your curiousity says, "go, go, figure who he is... what he is" and so in small, unsteady steps you start walking toward him, it. Realizing your there, he stops playing, you freeze, and he looks up in your direction, and when you look at his face your heart gets that chill of fear. He just stares at you... at least that's what he would do, but his eyes are sewed shut, and so is his mouth. Marks of blood left all over his face (blood that has slowly dried into marks), specifically from below his eyes (as if he cried blood), his mouth, and where his ears used to be. Then, with those sewn-shut lips, he smiles, and still looking at your direction, still smiling, he begins playing once more, as if nothing had just occured. The fog still surrounding the floor you are on. The piano that the family likes. The piano with blood, the blood from his hands, blood from the disjointed hands. The soft sweet melody, is it really soft and sweet now?
    (End of Story)

    Now, I would probably add to that but this isn't the place to do so... and sorry for making it long, didn't mean too... just got to absorbed into it, this is something I would like to see in the show... unlikely but at least something somewhat similar to this. Anyhow yeah, they just need to be in there... let themselves be absorbed into the story, and try to describe the feelings in an accurate way. Honestly, none of the episodes so far have scared me(excluding perhaps the Pilot as I didn't really fully watch that, from what I saw it wasn't that scary though). I guess... you could say it needs more suspense, not just a creepy setting but a suspensful one too. More close-ups... like they could've zoomed-in in Bloody Mary to at least let you see her empty eyeball sockets.

    Quite honestly though, it did freak me, in Scarecrow, the scene where Dean gets on the ladder and takes a look at the scarecrow, and then commercial break. Even though, when commercials were over, I hated the fact that he is no longer near the scarecrow anymore, they could've added to that scene. Another thing I don't like are the jerky, quick moments of doors closing and stuff... for some reason it annoys me, if it went smoother it might be scarier as it would feel more natural. Of course, I'm not saying that I hate Supernatural, just that, it could be better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Sastra05

    Sastra05

    [22]Jan 13, 2006
    • member since: 01/25/05
    • level: 8
    • rank: Super-Friend
    • posts: 224
    i'm not five years old anymore, so nothing really scares me. distrubing or startling is better.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [23]Jan 13, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    Sastra05 wrote:
    i'm not five years old anymore, so nothing really scares me. distrubing or startling is better.


    Yeah...and disturbing is actually easy to do. Any murder can appear more disturbing than usual on TV...shows usually do it by changing an element or two, get a certain type of music...and sometimes it's most disturbing when the camera moves away and you hear what's going on...

    "Home" sorta did that when they cut to the monkey while we hear the guy's arm getting ground up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sams1ra

    sams1ra

    [24]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 12/07/05
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 366
    You know, you're right. I was really scared in the pilot, and that completely hooked me. I think I jumped on "Wendigo" when Sam dreamt of Jess reaching out of her grave to catch him, and the monkey thing in "Home" creeped me out even though I could guess what was coming, but other than that, I don't remember being scared... And I scare easily!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [25]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794
    historylover20 wrote:
    Gislef wrote:
    As to Supernatural, arguably the creepiest/scariest part of "Scarecrow" wasn't the monster, but the fact that the aunt and uncle were willing to go along with it and sacrifice their niece. Which goes back to my point about the psychological spirit-attacking - the Jorgesons are more "monsters" then the scarecrow, and the "creep factor" comes from the fact you can't trust those you thought you could trust the most.


    Didn't think of that.

    Also, I still hold that it's the best written show that's on the air right now. It sure beats any of the stupid reality show craze that's going on now.

    Kat


    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Sorry if that seemed like a poke at you or anything, it wasn't - I just decided to finally comment on something everyone's been saying.

    Also...when you say "Supernatural" is the best show on TV right now, may I ask what other shows you watch so I'll know what it's being compared to? Because, personally, I don't think that the writing could be considered as cohesive and strong as "Lost", or "Alias", or even "Desperate Housewives". So are you really comparing the writing skills, or the plots? Because even if you don't like a plot you can usually tell if there's something seriously wrong with the actual writing or not.


    I'm not offended. I really don't offend all that easily! Until you start attacking me or my family personally, I won't get mad and storm off.

    To be honest, I really don't watch much network tv. And I can't afford cable either. Right now, I'm having an X-Files marathon. Watching my DVDs. (And, the X-Files is my favorite show!)

    I've never been able to get into "Lost," "Alias," "Desperate Housewives." Many factors about that: I work nights, so I couldn't watch those shows often enough to get into them. I'd also have homework. I'd turn those shows on, but only watch them while writing a research paper. That type of thing.

    OK, I might have jumped the gun to say "Supernatural" is the best writing on tv now. It's the only one that I can pay attention to. It's the only one who let me put away my work for an hour or so. So, for me, it has the best writing just because it can hold my attention. Until I go back to my X-Files DVDs.

    And I'll admit: "Supernatural" may not hold my attention for long. Sad, but true. It depends on what I think about the other shows that are premiered. It also depends on how the myths and legends are handled. It depends on if the writing suddenly takes a nosedive (like "ER" or "The West Wing.")

    Does that make any sense? Because, I'm just giving my opinion, like we all are.

    Edited 'coz I ken spel reel gud.

    Kat
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [26]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    Yeah, I understand.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [27]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Yeah, I understand.


    Good! Thanks.

    I've noticed "Alias" reruns on a channel I get. Either I watch the channel randomly, or these reruns come on randomly.

    I'm going to check, because if it starts with season 1 again soon, I'm going to start watching those reruns.

    Kat
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of DigitalCrash29

    DigitalCrash29

    [28]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 12/09/04
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 60
    historylover20 wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Yeah, I understand.


    Good! Thanks.

    I've noticed "Alias" reruns on a channel I get. Either I watch the channel randomly, or these reruns come on randomly.

    I'm going to check, because if it starts with season 1 again soon, I'm going to start watching those reruns.

    Kat


    Really? what's the channel?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [29]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    historylover20 wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Yeah, I understand.


    Good! Thanks.

    I've noticed "Alias" reruns on a channel I get. Either I watch the channel randomly, or these reruns come on randomly.

    I'm going to check, because if it starts with season 1 again soon, I'm going to start watching those reruns.

    Kat


    TNT? It airs every day.

    And "Alias" is AWESOME, but you have to watch it from the beginning.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [30]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794
    I don't get TNT. That's very disappointing.

    I believe it's a Fox channel here. I need to look.

    Kat
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [31]Jan 14, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    historylover20 wrote:
    I don't get TNT. That's very disappointing.

    I believe it's a Fox channel here. I need to look.

    Kat


    Oh, ok, I gotcha. My FOX affiliate plays ALIAS on the weekends. I guess your's does too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of historylover20

    historylover20

    [32]Jan 15, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 28
    • rank: Disco Stu
    • posts: 6,794
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    historylover20 wrote:
    I don't get TNT. That's very disappointing.

    I believe it's a Fox channel here. I need to look.

    Kat


    Oh, ok, I gotcha. My FOX affiliate plays ALIAS on the weekends. I guess your's does too.


    Yeah. I have two Fox affiliates, since I'm between two big cities. I just need to find out which one plays it. And, then look to see when they start rerunning season 1.

    Kat
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of WynneL

    WynneL

    [33]Jan 15, 2006
    • member since: 12/28/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 33
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    ...or at least a little more creepy. The pilot was probably the closest thing to scary that TV has done in YEARS. It was very good. But the show has not duplicated those chills since then...at least for me. I know "Bloody Mary" scared a lot of people but it wasn't scary at all for me.


    That's one of the ones I haven't seen yet, but the pilot was indeed more powerful than the following episodes. I think they'll do something like that again for the finale.

    archangelcory16 wrote:
    Has anyone here been truly scared by the show? Or scared to go to sleep or something? That's what the writers want but it's just not happening.


    Maybe they're worried--or the network is worried--that general audiences would be too traumatized. I mean, I am a jaded horror fan who wished they'd go right for the jugular like they did with the bizarre pilot, but my poor mother did indeed suffer nightmares. She slept that night with her bedroom light AND her nightstand lamp on. *lol* I felt so guilty for getting her to watch it with me...

    archangelcory16 wrote:
    I hope they amp up the scares and disturbing stuff soon, or at least next season. Because I'm scared it's turning into a dark version of "Charmed".


    I think they'll remember their roots. At least, I hope so. But I'm sure we can help them stick to it through letters and such.

    In the meantime, if you want to be REALLY scared, I'd recommend you play a game for Xbox/PC called "Thief 3: Deadly Shadows." It's nervous enough just playing as a weak, desperate thief whose only hope of staying alive is hugging the shadows and praying his enemies don't realize he's there. It's far more frightening to feel like you're actually living the level called "Shalebridge Cradle", which is so unbelievably well designed that even in the emptier areas I was forced to a millimeter-per-second crawl. Perfect fix for a jaded horror fan. The Overlook Hotel in Bloodlines is also pretty good, and System Shock 2 will have your heart pounding, but Shalebridge Cradle is hands down the best scary level in any game I've ever, ever played. I was sucked in to the point where even now I can't get the Cradle out of my head. An orphanage that was converted to an asylum which the inmates took over and burned to the ground with their cruel doctors inside... a building which almost breathes its unliving energy, which has such a powerful and evil supernatural memory that it feels like it could swallow your very body and soul for all eternity... well, I can't really express it in words. At the end, I felt such an overpowering sense of relief just to have escaped its grasp... turn the lights off, shut yourself in alone, and spend a night in the Cradle. You'll thank me. (Unless you are rushed to the hospital after a severe heart attack.)

    Gislef wrote:

    So I think psychological horror is "creepier" because it strikes at your subconscious fears and terrors. The monsters on Supernatural will kill your body - the ones that were on the new Stalker will crush your spirit. Which is creepier?


    Ironically, I felt like Nightstalker failed in the same vein that Supernatural sometimes does--too much comfort in the familiar. Supernatural is weakest on the urban legends and the familiar. Nightstalker was weakest on the aspect that it was Nightstalker, but it also really wasn't. This in many cases alienated the very audience it was trying to draw. If it had had the guts to be completely original and not use the title, the premise, the names of the old Nightstalker--then it would have had the freedom to shine without the stain of not being the old show. The fine cast, the writing, the direction would have stood on their own very well, in my opinion. So, why even call it Nightstalker when it has a different spirit?

    archangelcory16 wrote:

    But doesn't anyone agree that the pilot episode did a much better job of set-up compared to episodes since? In every scene where they were setting up "scares", there was an impending sense of dread/doom and they didn't rush it. And the woman in white scenario was disturbing in almost every way. The fact that such a beautiful, harmless looking hitchhiker could want to seduce someone and then rip their heart from your chest, the fact that it's a spirit of a woman who committed suicide and murdered her children...even though you know it's a story, it could make you think twice before picking up a stranded person, no matter what they look like.


    BAM. There was depth and intrigue to that premise. Brainless baddies are never quite so enjoyable as a personal in-your-face gut-wrenching evil. I mean, hell, Constance could've been someone I knew, someone in my time. The more they bring it close to home, the better. The hitchhiker itself was an urban legend, but unlike Hook Man, they made it more than just an urban legend. It was deeper. It was a lot more human. There was sadness, there were ambiguous motives, there was insanity, and there was revenge.

    historylover20 wrote:

    Look at Hitchcock movies. The psycho/murderer is never shown until the end. These movies are psychological disturbing. It's the camera moves. It's the placement of shadows that make things in movies creepy and scary.


    My father calls this the "don't show the elephant" premise. This because of the war in which elephants were used on an unsuspecting army--the soldiers had never seen elephants before, so when these huge, strange beasts came charging in and trampling their fellows, there was extreme panic.

    If we see the monster again and again, we become jaded. Far better to keep it enshrouded in shadow, to show it only at the most dramatic moment or even to never show it at all.

    Hey, we should write a mass letter to the producers...

    You know what would've been cool in "Scarecrow"? If they had only shown it looking really innocuous and still in daylight. That would have been far more haunting; really driven the shivers down your spine. Imagine the impact when you at last saw those few seconds of it racing towards a victim at breakneck speed... part silhouette, part horrifying illumination... that would've been quite nice.

    archangelcory16 wrote:

    "Home" sorta did that when they cut to the monkey while we hear the guy's arm getting ground up.


    Oooh... I knew the garbage disposal would eat that guy's arm; that didn't shock me. But the MONKEY... the bloody freakin' MONKEY...

    Okay, yeah. That freaked me out. I am afraid of children's toys. I guess... hmm... actually, it may have to do with my old attic, which was my playroom. It was always cold, the windows rattled, there was a hideaway crawlspace with lots of asbestos through a torn piece of the wall, and a back room with an old bed frame where a frayed noose hung from a rafter, very near what looked like a large dried bloodstain on the wall.

    So I connect all children's toys with my creepy attic playroom, which is one floor above the place where I had my one and only supernatural experience.

    Damn, that house was freaky. And not even just because I knew it was old.

    archangelcory16 wrote:

    And "Alias" is AWESOME, but you have to watch it from the beginning.


    *points Kat to above statement* Too true. I actually started mid-season one in a marathon, but I've been watching the season 1 DVD that I got for Christmas and I like it even better now.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Kal-el90

    Kal-el90

    [34]Jan 17, 2006
    • member since: 12/05/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 14
    I think probably the creepiest one was Dead in the water and The Asylum. The show isnt really scary but that doesnt tAke away from the fact that its very intersting. But about the scary thing this is comeing from a guy that thought the The Grudge was histarical.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lmary

    lmary

    [35]Jan 18, 2006
    • member since: 01/16/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 19
    Are you kidding?!! This shoe is VERY much scary and creepy and sexy and cool it's a perfect marriage of "Dawson's Creek" meets "X-Files" plus the music makes us old foggies feel a part of it too. Or would you prefer all the terrible horror movie remakes passing for Hollywood movies these days ugh this show is a billion times better than anything they are coming up with. And I defy you to find a better way to occupy your Tuesday nights and as for the "Charmed" reference that show has always been silly and prides itself on it and why not? You always have to give shows like this leeway it can't be easy coming up with the stuff they have so far and it has been remarkable far as I'm concerned. I love "Supernatural" the only gripe is now I have to give up "The Amazing Race" darn!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.