Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

If Supernatural had been conceived with female leads...

libra113

[61]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 27
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    A weird alternet universe where all the male characters are female and all the female characters are male and Spoke has a beard.
    If they did a spinoff or fanfic of this then I prefer they keep Dean character because he is interesting ,complex, funny, and my favorite out of Sam and Dean then they could create Sam like female and have a interesting and unique dynamic of brother and sister relationship

Kinda plays into all the jokes about Sam being a girl too.

What? people call Sam a girl
    Wow go easy on sarcasim, it's heavily abused around here.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RachelleMcAdams

[62]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 11
    [QUOTE="libra113"]
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    A weird alternet universe where all the male characters are female and all the female characters are male and Spoke has a beard.
    If they did a spinoff or fanfic of this then I prefer they keep Dean character because he is interesting ,complex, funny, and my favorite out of Sam and Dean then they could create Sam like female and have a interesting and unique dynamic of brother and sister relationship

Kinda plays into all the jokes about Sam being a girl too.

What? people call Sam a girl
    Wow go easy on sarcasim, it's heavily abused around here. [/QUOTE

I think Sam is a male version of young Mary and John
    A lot of people say Dean is more like Mary but I don't
    see the parralels so this AU Samantha character would be
    like young mary basically starting young and sweet then
    growing more mature but stil sensitive and kind person
    a female version of Dean would be Glen that is why they
    got along well in family matters because both refused to work for demons and put a tough front and Glen like Dean had a sense of humour

basenji529

[63]Dec 20, 2010
    • level: 15

god71 wrote:

Supanaturl isdumb cos angels are supposed to have wings and THEY DONT on suponatrAl it is stupid

You're trolling, right? That's funny, since I'm sure most people have heard of Neon Genesis Evangelion? Most people on TV Tropes and in the anime fandom in general have, anyway. The angels there...I think one (Arael the mindraper) has wings. Not to say some others don't fly. Shamshel, Rhamiel, Sahaqiel, Bardiel, Armisael, and Tabbris all fly; they just don't have wings.

Sticking to the lore, cherubim don't look anything like the Hallmark version.

Edited on 12/20/2010 9:03am

libra113

[64]Dec 20, 2010
    Well, if we're going to SERIOUSLY talk about this I MUST point out that the angels are possessing humans and humans don't have wings so they CAN'T have actual physical wings.

It APPEARS they have some sort of spiritual wings that are invisible to human eyes but still allow them to travel (as we've seen them travel all over in the wink of an eye) and they can show the shadow (or perhaps allow humans to see a dim perception) of them when they desire. They also seem to burn the nearby area when an angel dies leaving a charred outline of the wings around their dead vessle.

All and all I would say the show made the right choice as the nature of the show is keeping the inhuman invisible and it would be hard to beleave that guys and gals with wings could walk the world unnoticed. Anyway, having seen winged people in other stuff I can tell you they ALWAYS look silly. Oh and on a personal note if he had wings Cas wouldn't have been able to wear that cool trenchcoat and that would have been no fun.

RachelleMcAdams

[65]Dec 20, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, given the way the story was built I don't think it WOULD have been an enseble show even without a fanbase that chases off certain characters.

Also, I suspect that had it been Dina and Samantha Winchester looking for their missing mother Joanna 22 years after the death of their father Marty (something I actually toyed with writing myself just for kicks) it MIGHT have come of a bit "Charmed"-like and probably would have been compaired to that show (and "Buffy" and "Xena") and probably not in a way that would have helped the show any.

Likely, it would have a larger male fanbase (although everyone I've showed the show to male or female have always really liked it and ended up becoming veiwers themselves)but I don't if it would have been THAT much diffrent. Maybe male fans wouldn't have chased off male characters getting too close to the girls but then again there would have been more pressure to put Dina and Samantha in belly shirts and tank tops and show as much cleavage as tv would allow.

So which is better?

Actually I still can imagine Jessica being female but just a a sweet and helpful best friend and college roomate who concidentally looks like Samantha mother(Mary Winchester)

libra113

[66]Dec 21, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, given the way the story was built I don't think it WOULD have been an enseble show even without a fanbase that chases off certain characters.

Also, I suspect that had it been Dina and Samantha Winchester looking for their missing mother Joanna 22 years after the death of their father Marty (something I actually toyed with writing myself just for kicks) it MIGHT have come of a bit "Charmed"-like and probably would have been compaired to that show (and "Buffy" and "Xena") and probably not in a way that would have helped the show any.

Likely, it would have a larger male fanbase (although everyone I've showed the show to male or female have always really liked it and ended up becoming veiwers themselves)but I don't if it would have been THAT much diffrent. Maybe male fans wouldn't have chased off male characters getting too close to the girls but then again there would have been more pressure to put Dina and Samantha in belly shirts and tank tops and show as much cleavage as tv would allow.

So which is better?

Actually I still can imagine Jessica being female but just a a sweet and helpful best friend and college roomate who concidentally looks like Samantha mother(Mary Winchester)
    Well can't really see Samantha being all vengful and broken up over the death of a room mate as opposed to someone she was serious about and perhaps might marry one day. Also, in this senerio Mary would be Marty and maintian the connection the person in Samantha's life who dies would have to be a male.

RachelleMcAdams

[67]Dec 21, 2010

[QUOTE="libra113"]

RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, given the way the story was built I don't think it WOULD have been an enseble show even without a fanbase that chases off certain characters. Also, I suspect that had it been Dina and Samantha Winchester looking for their missing mother Joanna 22 years after the death of their father Marty (something I actually toyed with writing myself just for kicks) it MIGHT have come of a bit "Charmed"-like and probably would have been compaired to that show (and "Buffy" and "Xena") and probably not in a way that would have helped the show any. Likely, it would have a larger male fanbase (although everyone I've showed the show to male or female have always really liked it and ended up becoming veiwers themselves)but I don't if it would have been THAT much diffrent. Maybe male fans wouldn't have chased off male characters getting too close to the girls but then again there would have been more pressure to put Dina and Samantha in belly shirts and tank tops and show as much cleavage as tv would allow. So which is better?
    Well can't really see Samantha being all vengful and broken up over the death of a room mate as opposed to someone she was serious about and perhaps might marry one day. Also, in this senerio Mary would be Marty and maintian the connection the person in Samantha's life who dies would have to be a male. [/QUOTE)

Remember in that one episode where Sam and Dean worked in that buisness office and they where in alternate universe where they weren't related at all and Dean had Jo as youngersister instead of Sam well in my fanfic Dean would still be the cynical and tough big brother but Sam or Samantha would be a female, and Mary and John will still exist and Mary still be the one to burn on the ceiling because I can't imagine a single mother traveling across america fighting monsters and instead of rasing her kids in proper home and environment because females naturally having a maternal instinct would put their childs safety over vengeance of her dead husband and besides it be interesting and great to see a brother and sister dynamic because it's easy to imagine two siblings of the same sex developing aquick bond with each otherthan the opposite sex even if they are brother and sister and a female without a mother figure would be interesting to see played and her conflicts about being without a mother, mabye I am just putting to much thought to in this but to me supernatural without Dean wouldn't be as fun

libra113

[68]Dec 21, 2010
    One thing "Terminator: The Saraha Conner Chronicals". In that she moved John and herself all over the country as needed to protect him from Terminators when they showed up. They even used diffrent names and did everything they could to hide out.

Also, she was always working to advert Judgment Day and prevent Skynet from existing so she was just as single minded and driven as John Winchester was. In fact, under the right conditions, they would have made a good couple (like if Yellow Eyes was into technology and had a connection to Cyberdyne Systems and Skynet).

RachelleMcAdams

[69]Dec 21, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    One thing "Terminator: The Saraha Conner Chronicals". In that she moved John and herself all over the country as needed to protect him from Terminators when they showed up. They even used diffrent names and did everything they could to hide out.

Also, she was always working to advert Judgment Day and prevent Skynet from existing so she was just as single minded and driven as John Winchester was. In fact, under the right conditions, they would have made a good couple (like if Yellow Eyes was into technology and had a connection to Cyberdyne Systems and Skynet).

Yeah but wasn't she like a robot?

libra113

[70]Dec 21, 2010
    Sarah Conner wasn't a robot she was John Conner's mother. The robot was named Cameron (after James Cameron).

Never underestimate the kick ass nature of a mother protecting her children and never doubt if John had died that Mary would have gone back into hunting and kept Sam and Dean on the run to keep whatever it was that killed John from finding them.

Of course Mary would have known from the start what it was (assuming the story remained the same) and would have had a huge headstart over where John was starting from.

RachelleMcAdams

[71]Dec 21, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    Sarah Conner wasn't a robot she was John Conner's mother. The robot was named Cameron (after James Cameron). Never underestimate the kick ass nature of a mother protecting her children and never doubt if John had died that Mary would have gone back into hunting and kept Sam and Dean on the run to keep whatever it was that killed John from finding them. Of course Mary would have known from the start what it was (assuming the story remained the same) and would have had a huge headstart over where John was starting from.

True Truebut Mary wouldn't be a drill sergeant to Samantha and Dean or Sam and Dean like John was to the boys she would be softer , kind and more caring and it wouldn't leave them in hotel rooms alone or ignore their phone calls I get it John was imperfect like all dads but he wasn't the best he could be also I'm pretty sure Samuel was strict on Mary but protective so her parenting would be different from John

Edited on 12/21/2010 8:38pm

libra113

[72]Dec 21, 2010
    Diffrent to be sure but I wouldn't neccisarly dissmiss the possibly. To use the Sarah Conner compairsion again SHE'S very much like a drill sergant to John. She took him all over the world to train in weapons and combat with many people (a lot of whom were 'freedom fighters' and/or out and out criminals), she taught him to beleave that 'no one is ever safe' and never to trust anyone other than her. She changed their names and their cover story at the slightest sign of trouble and pretty much did ANYTHING to make sure he became the man she was told he would be in the future.

If you haven't seen the sadly short lived series you should watch it on DVD the compairisons between Sarah, John, Cameron, etc... and hunters is actually pretty solid and it was good series that sadly was hurt by Fox and their meddling.

RachelleMcAdams

[73]Dec 22, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Diffrent to be sure but I wouldn't neccisarly dissmiss the possibly. To use the Sarah Conner compairsion again SHE'S very much like a drill sergant to John. She took him all over the world to train in weapons and combat with many people (a lot of whom were 'freedom fighters' and/or out and out criminals), she taught him to beleave that 'no one is ever safe' and never to trust anyone other than her. She changed their names and their cover story at the slightest sign of trouble and pretty much did ANYTHING to make sure he became the man she was told he would be in the future.

If you haven't seen the sadly short lived series you should watch it on DVD the compairisons between Sarah, John, Cameron, etc... and hunters is actually pretty solid and it was good series that sadly was hurt by Fox and their meddling.
    I'll check it out

LOL imagine the boys bragging about having a kickass mom

libra113

[74]Dec 22, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

I'll check it out

Intresting and very non-traditional.

RachelleMcAdams

[75]Dec 22, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

I'll check it out

But because of Mary deal breaking the natural order she was bound to die and John end up the badass hunter dad

libra113

[76]Dec 22, 2010
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

I'll check it out

But because of Mary deal breaking the natural order she was bound to die and John end up the badass hunter dad
    Yeah but if we're imagining a whole alternet reality senerio then I guess it would be John who made the deal and died and Mary would be a novice hunter trying to find out what's going on. Either that OR she didn't walk into the nursey and is striking back.

libra113

[78]Dec 22, 2010
    Thought we were just playing with gender here not creating an entire alternet timeline.

Kinda wish they could do an episode where we could see one or more alternet realities so we could see the what ifs. Have no idea how they would justify it but it would be fun.

Back in my fan fic days I did a couple of what if type things: One was if Mary had never died and Sam and Dean had never been hunters (and I did it ages before the show did ). The other one was if Dean died in "In My Time of Dying". Sam goes off the deep end, punches John and takes off then... well don't want to give it all away.

RachelleMcAdams

[79]Dec 22, 2010
    libra113 wrote:
    Thought we were just playing with gender here not creating an entire alternet timeline.

Kinda wish they could do an episode where we could see one or more alternet realities so we could see the what ifs. Have no idea how they would justify it but it would be fun.

Back in my fan fic days I did a couple of what if type things: One was if Mary had never died and Sam and Dean had never been hunters (and I did it ages before the show did ). The other one was if Dean died in "In My Time of Dying". Sam goes off the deep end, punches John and takes off then... well don't want to give it all away.

Sounds interesting can i read both of them?

basenji529

[80]Dec 23, 2010
    • level: 15

Crazy thought I just had: Supernatural is doing an anime adaptation. What if 4kids dubbed it? It would be HORRIBLE.