Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

is god capable of killing.(spoilers)

presario111

[1]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 5

im curiouse after last nights episode as to why god didnt just destroy the leviathans after they became so savage. and it seems to me that death is the one who causes all the bodies to pile up(the egyptian first borns. the noahs ark flood) so i cant help but wonder can god actually kill or just create. i also dont remember any story were god was the personal hand that killed someone most he did was make them suffer, or send someone else to do it(for example death). if some does have an example let me know. and yes i understand that supernatural has a different take on god but i am still curious

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

proudz

[2]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 8

Its a fantasyshow about supernatural things. Not a teological discussion...

libra113

[3]Sep 24, 2011
    • level: 27
    It's kinda like that old joke about can God make a burrito so hot even he can't eat it.

Either he can only create and not destroy or he just doesn't have a taste for violence and lets others hand it when there's no choice or perhaps they got out of hand and he didn't have the power.

It's also possible that Death is there to handle that stuff becasue that's his place in things and God doesn't do it becasue it's not his role.

gatoraderising

[4]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 7
    I just think God let's other people do his dirty work for him. The Angel's, Fate and even Death do the work that maybe God just doesnt want to do anymore. Or maybe he doesnt have the heart to kill his own creation's. Its hard to say on Supernatural

libra113

[5]Sep 25, 2011
    Let's not discount the notion that everything has its place and its own role in the universe. It's Death's role to reap the dead. The archangels and angels carry out God's will and so on. There's really no need for him to do his own smiting when there are others who exsist just to do that very thing.

gatoraderising

[6]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 7
    Well ya that was kinda my point. God has other people to carry out thing's for him. If he wanted to go around smiting people and other thing's he could but he doesnt need to because he has other's out there to do it for him.

Seeing Lucifer again was nice, even if it is all in Sam's mind.

lilcamozzi2

[7]Sep 25, 2011
    • level: 4

wait but isn't it god who caused all the things in the bible, hes the one that smites people and caused the flood in the story of noahs arc. Death has said all along on supernatural that he doesn't kill ppl he reaps them. I mean remember when dean had to take deaths place for a day it wasnt his decision to kill those people it was just there time to go and it was what was suppose to happen. So death only reaps them when the universe that god created kills these people. Its extremly obvious god can kill ppl, i mean hello we just watched Cass kill a whole bunch of ppl as god.

libra113

[8]Sep 25, 2011
    lilcamozzi2 wrote:

wait but isn't it god who caused all the things in the bible, hes the one that smites people and caused the flood in the story of noahs arc. Death has said all along on supernatural that he doesn't kill ppl he reaps them. I mean remember when dean had to take deaths place for a day it wasnt his decision to kill those people it was just there time to go and it was what was suppose to happen. So death only reaps them when the universe that god created kills these people. Its extremly obvious god can kill ppl, i mean hello we just watched Cass kill a whole bunch of ppl as god.

Yeah but we can't just take the Bible at face value in "Supernatural" as Cas himself said it gets more things wrong than right and there's a diffrence between killing and picking who gets killed and yeah Death reaps but he doesn't pick WHO he reaps that's, I would think, done by a higher power or The Fates (as seen in "My Heart Will Go On") or someone.

You can't say God kills if all he does is pick the target and sick an archangel or an angel on it. Of course I guess you COULD aurge that they're no diffrent than say a gun and that it's the person who pulled the trigger than did the killing and not the gun itself. Then again a gun is an inanimate object and angels aren't. Still, there weren't allowed free will for all this time so yeah they COULD be said to just be a tool. It's a complex issue with no easy way to work it out except to just say it's all in how you look at it and move on.

basenji529

[9]Sep 26, 2011
    • level: 15

Well, if we use the Bible as lore, God kills all the time, and even created evil, but, yeah. Expecting the lore to be used as the lore on this show is a bit much.

libra113

[10]Sep 26, 2011

Espcailly since an angel (Cas) already said it gets more wrong than right.

I love how this show has three levels of lore. There's what's commanly accepted lore in our world. What's commonly accepted lore in their world and what's really correct and not just BS in their world. Gives them room to work and still use real lore as a jumping off point.

waisal14

[11]Sep 28, 2011
    • level: 10

Supernatural has a tendency to provide their own twist to the original versions from how all the supernatural creatures on the show from the bad to the good guys. Their interpretation isn't always exact and they're just bringing to the forefront how the public views God. He's distant and unattainable. If he wants to be found, he'll come out when he wants to. The creators of the show didn't go to much detail into who he is but give his background story from the other characters, particularly the angels.

Season 7 presents an opportunity for the writers and creators of the show to find a creative way to present him to help the boy's can find a weapon to kill Leviathan. Leviathan was created before angels and souls somehow and God let it exist to live in purgatory. There's no written document stating how to kill the beast that the boy's will most definitely need help. If not from God maybe they can find a prophet like Chuck or someone else who communicates with God to figure out their options.

libra113

[12]Sep 29, 2011
    So you didn't see the end of season five or you're in denial of what it shows?