Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Is going to S12 too long for the show to keep its edge

Noremac39

[1]Mar 25, 2012
    • level: 1

I believe the show can go all the way to season 12 and end in a glorious way. Season 8 could be more of the Creatures of Purgatory and have Castiel pop up every now and then as a recurring character. Season 9 deal with the fairies and other creatures of the sort like goblins and what not. season 10 could deal with hybrids such as vamp/werewolfs, skinwalker/wraiths, ghouls/shapeshifts, demon/humans, and Demon/Angels with Meg and Cas making the abomination in the Asylum so Cas won't know what he's doing. Season 11 be the Fall of Sam and the Rise of Lucifer. Season 12 Sam says yes in the finale of 11 and Dean and Cas work to stop the end with Adam. Eventually Dean says yes he and Micheal kill Lucifer and bring Sam back and the 3 of them Drive away in the sunset in the Impala with Wayward Son playing. The End

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CharmedOneP391

[2]Mar 29, 2012
    • level: 19

I'd say Season 10 at the most. I like the idea of a Season Arc being about Monster Hybrids maybe forming factions in order to kill The Winchesters and maybe looking for a way into Heaven. I'd also like for Lucifer, Michael, & Adam to actually be released. I'd like to know what happened to the Anti-Christ child. I'd like an appearance from John Winchester. The Other 2 Fate Sisters. There are still stories to tell. 5 more Seasons worth? Probably not. Maybe 3 at the most. Season 8 could very well be the last, too. But being CW's #2 show...it's hard to tell.

Edited on 03/28/2012 11:15pm

Noremac39

[3]Apr 14, 2012
    • level: 1

Hopefully it will last another 4 years then finally be put to rest

SohiHien

[4]May 5, 2012
    • level: 8
    It honestly seems like it is getting too old now. I haven't been impressed this season and doubt I will buy this season when it comes on DVD. If it doesn't improve I'm not sure it will make it another season it seems to have lost alot of it's fans in the last two seasons.

libra113

[5]May 5, 2012
    • level: 27

SohiHien wrote:
    It honestly seems like it is getting too old now. I haven't been impressed this season and doubt I will buy this season when it comes on DVD. If it doesn't improve I'm not sure it will make it another season it seems to have lost alot of it's fans in the last two seasons.
    It's already been picked up for another season so that's a done deal.

vampman87

[6]May 5, 2012
    • level: 4

I want the show to end after season 8. Season 1 and 2 were great at establishing the boys and their enemy, Yellow Eyes. Season 3 was fair as to expanding the consequences of the season 2 finale (demons everywhere and Dean's deal.) Season 4 was near perfect for establishing the Lucifer storyline, and it led to a great payoff in season 5 with the boys actually fighting Lucifer. Season 6, while shaky, tied up the loose ends post-Lucifer/Apocalypse (Crowley becoming King of Hell, Rafael and Castiel fighting over a leaderless Heaven) and set up Purgatory, giving us a sample of the horrors that lie within with Eve. Season 7 has finally shown us why Purgatory was created with the Leviathans, though their threat level has been mixed. I hope season 8 has the boys defeat the Leviathans and end on a happy note. And PLEASE don't re-release Michael and Lucifer. Yes, I know they're popular, but their story has been told, and restarting the apocalypse arc would just be a cheap rehash of season 5.It took an entire season to let Lucifer out and another to put him back in. Having any episodes with him being released would just make the entire story arc of season 5 pointless. We got our Lucifer fix with "Hallucifer," and he was awesome. I don't know any other way of bringing the character back yet not making him the central villain except as a hallucination, like Yellow Eyes, Llith, and Alistair.

libra113

[7]May 6, 2012
    Well we know no matter how ends it won't be happy, not this show's style. When it ends it will be bloody and sad and very, very unhappy for all.

Yeah, don't see that happening. It would have been nice if Lucifer's arc hadn't been squeezed into one season when it really needed two and lot of it seemed rushed but it's too late now and any attempt to change that now would just be cheap and pointless.

dpebbleson

[8]May 6, 2012
    • level: 23
    I wouldn't like it to extend to twelve seasons, I think that'd be too much. Eight seasons is more than enough, there's so much you can tell without exhausting the characters and actors.

lachlan_j_g

[9]May 6, 2012
    • level: 11

dpebbleson wrote:
    I wouldn't like it to extend to twelve seasons, I think that'd be too much. Eight seasons is more than enough, there's so much you can tell without exhausting the characters and actors.

i agree, 12 is definitely too much. i think if it ended next season that'd be good, but 9 would be the max i think

libra113

[10]May 6, 2012

Whatever season is the last I just hope it's not like season five where the main story gets squeezed out by a lot of 'last chance to do' this or that stories that just amount to them getting their pet stories out and taking an alreadycramped story and making it worse by doing nothing with it until the last minute.

When I think of how much they short changed the whole Micheal/Lucifer/end of the world thing just because they wanted to finish it in season five then how many 'last chance' episodes they shoved in there it really bugs me.

RichardCarlso

[11]May 15, 2012
    • level: 2
    dpebbleson wrote:

Gunsmoke-20 years

Ozzie & Harriet-14 years

Bonanza-14 years

Knots Landing-14 years (SPN is kind of a soap opera)

The Lucy Show-12

My Three Sons-12

Hawaii Five-O-12

M*A*S*H*-11

Cheers-11

Married With Children-11

Stargate SG-1- 10

Smallville-10

It can be done without wearing out the characters or running out of plot lines.

dpebbleson

[12]May 15, 2012
    • level: 23
    RichardCarlso wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:

Gunsmoke-20 years

Ozzie & Harriet-14 years

Bonanza-14 years

Knots Landing-14 years (SPN is kind of a soap opera)

The Lucy Show-12

My Three Sons-12

Hawaii Five-O-12

M*A*S*H*-11

Cheers-11

Married With Children-11

Stargate SG-1- 10

Smallville-10

It can be done without wearing out the characters or running out of plot lines.

Well, of all these I really only watched Smallville, and I can say that its ten season was too much for its own good, the show started getting repetitive already in fifth or sixth season.

X-Files also lasted for 9 seasons, when 7 seasons would have been much, much better.

I wouldn't like to interfere with your personal tastes, if you still like shows extending for so many seasons, that's simply a fact that can't be denied, but I don't.

I'm aware that one shouldn't make general rules too easily based on previous experiences, but so far, every book, film, or tv series that extended for too much had a serious decline of quality in latter parts, pertaining to similar or same plots and complications, characters caught in loops and perpetually conflicted merely to keep something happening, action becoming slower and slower, and more descriptive, and so on and so forth.

So based on my previous experience, I don't think SPN would do good if it had twelve seasons, but of course that's merely my opinion. If you like it even after twelve seasons, that's perfectly okay.

RichardCarlso

[13]May 15, 2012

@dpebbleson

Twelve might be too long. Yeah, some shows hang on too long. The X-Files was horrible at the end, for me, anyway. Never watched Smallville. But, you never know. If SPN can keep it's edge, maybe they go 10.

RichardCarlso

[14]May 15, 2012

According to this, SPN is still hugely popular. Whats changed is HOW people are watching it.

http://www.thewinchesterfamilybusiness.com/archive-articles/23-general/17064-what-are-supernaturals-true-ratings-.html

libra113

[15]May 15, 2012

dpebbleson wrote:
    RichardCarlso wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Gunsmoke-20 years Ozzie & Harriet-14 years Bonanza-14 years Knots Landing-14 years (SPN is kind of a soap opera) The Lucy Show-12 My Three Sons-12 Hawaii Five-O-12 M*A*S*H*-11 Cheers-11 Married With Children-11 Stargate SG-1- 10 Smallville-10 It can be done without wearing out the characters or running out of plot lines.
    Well, of all these I really only watched Smallville, and I can say that its ten season was too much for its own good, the show started getting repetitive already in fifth or sixth season. X-Files also lasted for 9 seasons, when 7 seasons would have been much, much better. I wouldn't like to interfere with your personal tastes, if you still like shows extending for so many seasons, that's simply a fact that can't be denied, but I don't. I'm aware that one shouldn't make general rules too easily based on previous experiences, but so far, every book, film, or tv series that extended for too much had a serious decline of quality in latter parts, pertaining to similar or same plots and complications, characters caught in loops and perpetually conflicted merely to keep something happening, action becoming slower and slower, and more descriptive, and so on and so forth. So based on my previous experience, I don't think SPN would do good if it had twelve seasons, but of course that's merely my opinion. If you like it even after twelve seasons, that's perfectly okay.
    I gotboredwith the "X-Files" the moment it went from being a small cult hit to being a majorphenomenonand all the Johnny ComeLately typesand the posers showed up. That was also the point they stopped trying to make sens and banked on the show's mystic selling ideas that made no sense.

The issue with "Smallville" is that it covered a much shorterperiodof the character's life than they ended up showing. Clark becomes Superman near the end of college but Welling refused to do that so they had him drop out of college, get a job at the Planet (without a degree or any realexperienceas a reporter on that level). If he had been willing to put on the suit and play the part the show would have been so much better instead they were just sort of circling the airport unable to land and it showed.

tvtome_xena321

[16]May 16, 2012

I'm not so sure the actors would really be willing to stick around for 12 years, as much as I like it, they have already killed off dozen of characters, 5 more years seems way too much to be honest. The ratings are no way going to be able to hold on another 5 years, sadly it will most likely reach just 1 million or lower if it went that long. I don't even think it really needs 23 or 24 episodes as rumored, I prefer quality over quantity any day, there's always a number of episodes each year that are filler, but I'll admit Marathon on DVD, you enjoy them more.

On another note, rumors of the show moving out of Friday to Wednesday paired with Arrow have surfaced. Would it fair alright against two reality show's Survivor and X Factor I wonder.

Edited on 05/16/2012 8:26pm

libra113

[17]May 17, 2012

tvtome_xena321 wrote:

I'm not so sure the actors would really be willing to stick around for 12 years, as much as I like it, they have already killed off dozen of characters, 5 more years seems way too much to be honest. The ratings are no way going to be able to hold on another 5 years, sadly it will most likely reach just 1 million or lower if it went that long. I don't even think it really needs 23 or 24 episodes as rumored, I prefer quality over quantity any day, there's always a number of episodes each year that are filler, but I'll admit Marathon on DVD, you enjoy them more.

On another note, rumors of the show moving out of Friday to Wednesday paired with Arrow have surfaced. Would it fair alright against two reality show's Survivor and X Factor I wonder.

Well, it only had about that amount for first several years the show was on so it would be a kind ofsymmetryfor it to widdle down to the same hardcord base that saw it through it's early run.

Not only have I not heard the Wednesday night thing I've never heard of "Arrow". Dare I hope it's got something to do with Green Arrow (the comic book character and not whatever they were doing with him on "Smallville").

Edited on 05/17/2012 7:56am

CharmedOneP391

[18]May 17, 2012

(Unless the two leads decide they want to quit) it looks like Season 8 will not be the Final Season, at least if it's up to the President of TheCW.

The show's also moving to Wednesday Nights next year at 9pm. Following Arrow.

libra113

[19]May 17, 2012

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

(Unless the two leads decide they want to quit) it looks like Season 8 will not be the Final Season, at least if it's up to the President of TheCW.

I just heard of "Arrow" today but I'm veryinterested. I always liked Green Arrow, the real one not the one on "Smallville" that is.

CharmedOneP391

[20]May 17, 2012

libra113 wrote:

CharmedOneP391 wrote:

I just heard of "Arrow" today but I'm veryinterested. I always liked Green Arrow, the real one not the one on "Smallville" that is.

Ha, I actually got into the Green Arrow after watching Smallville. and was a bit disspointed when I found out it wasn't a spin off..considering the fan base would've already been there. But I'm also excited for the "reboot" of the character last seen on the Network about a year ago lol.