Official Discussion Thread: All Dogs Go to Heaven (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Nov 8, 2010
    • level: 102
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 11/12/10 episode "All Dogs Go to Heaven" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

aussiemovieguy

[2]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 3
    WOOT, damn where are the oldies that used to spam these threads. Season seems to be getting better, though im hoping Crowley isnt really the main bad guy, he's a real let down compared to what we've had in the past, ie azazeal, lilith, alistair, even uriel and lucifer ofc. I like the character, but I hope theres something alot scarier out there to worry about.

jkpop_07

[3]Nov 9, 2010
    • level: 5
    This movie makes me cry every time I watch it! All I gotta say is this ep better not make me cry!

sinjaceheroes

[4]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 14

5 minutes to go!

LordSothe

[5]Nov 12, 2010

Wasn't very impressed with this one. By this point, Sam and Dean stopping to discuss their relationship once an episode -even when there aren't any major developments to it- feels very formulatic and is starting to get old. It doesn't help that they almost always do it the same way -Near the beginning of an episode, one brother expresses a concern about the other, somewhere during the case the other brother does something that seemingly confirms it, then the brothers discuss it over the Impala at the end of the episode. I think it would really help if they switched it around a bit.

As far as the plot goes, honestly I think the episode would have been a lot better had it just been a werewolf. I just found this one, for lack of a better word, boring. Sam's just bound and determined to kick the dog every chance he gets, while Ackles seemed like he's burnt out on playing the moral compass. I didn't find the shapeshifter to be a particularly compelling character, either. The shootout at the end also seemed extremely unrealistic -Sam and Dean, who routinely get knocked on their asses by a single monster of the week, singlehandedly take down an entire pack of skinwalkers without even breaking a sweat. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the Sniper Rifle to begin with.

jake-sf

[6]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 6

Pretty much just a filler. Except the end, I guess. Some funny lines from Sam. The rest, nothing worth being excited about. Its nice to see Crowly, but that was short.

Using animals, here dogs, in a show is always risky in my eyes. Its believable to a very limited degree, nevermind that you can't ever show them getting shot or things like that, way too obviously keeping them off camera. Maybe I'm to blame for knowing how TV shows works. Wish I was still a kid and believed in the magic of TV.

Despite what the only review available yet for this episode says, the ending for the dog guy was realistic and fitting, as rude as it may seems. Just wanted to point that out.

Overall, some interesting ideas. But I was not very excited about it all. Still, decent episode.

LordSothe wrote:

The shootout at the end also seemed extremely unrealistic -Sam and Dean, who routinely get knocked on their asses by a single monster of the week, singlehandedly take down an entire pack of skinwalkers without even breaking a sweat. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the Sniper Rifle to begin with.

Well. The skinwalker seems pretty easy to take down, its like they didn't have much super strength or super speed, they could just turn into dogs... not so useful against guns. Sam going in their face like that with Dean hiding with is rifle to back him actually looked more organized and efficient than most of their attacks. The fact that he used a rifle helps, damn, when is the last time we saw one of those in the hands of Dean?

Edited on 11/12/2010 8:25pm

ToxicAngel503

[7]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 26
    *sigh* I remember actually liking this show.

libra113

[8]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 27
    jake-sf wrote:

Pretty much just a filler. Except the end, I guess. Some funny lines from Sam. The rest, nothing worth being excited about. Its nice to see Crowly, but that was short.

Using animals, here dogs, in a show is always risky in my eyes. Its believable to a very limited degree, nevermind that you can't ever show them getting shot or things like that, way too obviously keeping them off camera. Maybe I'm to blame for knowing how TV shows works. Wish I was still a kid and believed in the magic of TV.

Despite what the only review available yet for this episode says, the ending for the dog guy was realistic and fitting, as rude as it may seems. Just wanted to point that out.

Overall, some interesting ideas. But I was not very excited about it all. Still, decent episode.

LordSothe wrote:

The shootout at the end also seemed extremely unrealistic -Sam and Dean, who routinely get knocked on their asses by a single monster of the week, singlehandedly take down an entire pack of skinwalkers without even breaking a sweat. Makes you wonder why they bothered with the Sniper Rifle to begin with.

Well. The skinwalker seems pretty easy to take down, its like they didn't have much super strength or super speed, they could just turn into dogs... not so useful against guns. Sam going in their face like that with Dean hiding with is rifle to back him actually looked more organized and efficient than most of their attacks. The fact that he used a rifle helps, damn, when is the last time we saw one of those in the hands of Dean?

Umm but they DID show Lucky shot, just not killed (and as an animal lover that was close enough).

My only real issues were: (1) the shape shifters we've see before have been often called skinwalkers in various external material (the guidebooks and whatnot) so it was a bit cofusing when the real thing showed up and (2) I'm also a little disspointed that they limited the skinwalker legend so much. In the actual legend they can become dogs, wolves, bears and such but the story only called for dogs so that's what we got. I kinda also have to say the simularity to Lucky's sitaution and Dean's was a bit heavy handed and Sam's dog jokes were getting old fast. Still, it was a lot better than I feared (I DO wish the dog thing had stayed more of a secret but it's in the title so...). The one I'm REALLY worried about is next week but we will see.

So Sam doesn't care for Lisa and Ben anymore than I do. A good side to be souless I guess.

mynameisjohnas

[9]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 6

Felt like I was watching an episode of "Touched by an Angel"...weird.

Anyways, I liked the guy who played Lucky and wouldn't mind seeing him back (Andrew R brought a nice amount of lethargyto the screen)but beyond that I don't have much to say about the episode. Nothing new really happened other than a small expansion of what the Alphas are ordering their legions to do so I'd agree it was pretty much filler.

dman_dustin

[10]Nov 12, 2010
    • level: 8

libra113 wrote:
    Still, it was a lot better than I feared (I DO wish the dog thing had stayed more of a secret but it's in the title so...). The one I'm REALLY worried about is next week but we will see.

I have to agree, it may have not been the best episode, but the promos made me think this was going to be a really bad episode, with the whole Dean with a Sniper Rifle and the whole possibly shooting Sam, but it turned out a lot better than I thought, True the whole premise was completely different than the promo implied, I mean skinwalkers, dang, I didn't even think it was werewolves until they started saying it was a werewolf and then they changed it to Skinwalkers. I guess the promo didn't exactly say what the implied Alpha was going to be. I'm Just glad it didn't turn into Dean considering killing Sam while Sam was trying to get the "Alpha" by himself, that probably would've been a horrible episode.

As for next week's episode, it looks absolutely hilarious. It's about time we get an episode this season devoted mostly to the funny moments. Say what any of you will about the subject of said episode, it's still funny when you think about it. Oh the hilarious quotes that will most likely spawn from that episode. Hopefully it'll be near Changing Channels funny or funnier than "Pudding!"

Kitanishi

[11]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    - Poor Lucky. That was seriously tear-dropping and heart-wrenching stuff, the way he just staggered homeless in the end...excuse me I think i have something in my eye....

Everything else was the usual supernatural stuff. A lot better than previous episode or anything in angel-angst previous season, but still, not up to the quality of season3 or 2.

But this ep gets 5/5 for the poor doggy itself :

smegmag

[12]Nov 13, 2010

libra113 wrote:
    jake-sf wrote:

LordSothe wrote:

Umm but they DID show Lucky shot, just not killed (and as an animal lover that was close enough). My only real issues were: (1) the shape shifters we've see before have been often called skinwalkers in various external material (the guidebooks and whatnot) so it was a bit cofusing when the real thing showed up and (2) I'm also a little disspointed that they limited the skinwalker legend so much. In the actual legend they can become dogs, wolves, bears and such but the story only called for dogs so that's what we got. I kinda also have to say the simularity to Lucky's sitaution and Dean's was a bit heavy handed and Sam's dog jokes were getting old fast. Still, it was a lot better than I feared (I DO wish the dog thing had stayed more of a secret but it's in the title so...). The one I'm REALLY worried about is next week but we will see. So Sam doesn't care for Lisa and Ben anymore than I do. A good side to be souless I guess.
    Not exactly what I thought it would be, but I love animals so I cant really hate on it. I didnt mind the heavy handed parallel between Lucky/Mandy/Aiden and Dean/Lisa/Ben at least we were blessed with the ending that should have been --Lisa shutting the door in his face upfront!!! It would have saved us (well, me at least) from the total dreckitude of the Lisa/Ben storyline. I too am soulless if the definition is not caring about Lisa/Ben. Also they did manage to move the brother storyline an inch or two--Sam's top of episode spiel was totally fake, but the bottom speech bordered on the believable. So Sam's changing or at least he's becoming a better liar. Finally, kudos to the canine actor who played Lucky. He hit his marks, he emoted, he did particularly well when he perved on Mandy in the shower scene. So good job, boy, good job!!! P.S. human Lucky was pretty good too.

Shikady

[13]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 13
    I already review this episode, but I have a question for libra or another Supernatural lover.

Any teories about Crowley's new powers? Where did he get all the powers =S ?. I mean, if he got more powerful, then any demon could get more mojo and try to be the ruler of hell...

ToxicAngel503

[14]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 26
    Shikady wrote:
    I already review this episode, but I have a question for libra or another Supernatural lover.

Any teories about Crowley's new powers? Where did he get all the powers =S ?. I mean, if he got more powerful, then any demon could get more mojo and try to be the ruler of hell...

And that's the million dallar question on this show. Where does anybody get their powers, and who doles out the promotions? We know Castiel got his directly from God, but where does anyone else get more mojo?

libra113

[15]Nov 13, 2010
    dman_dustin wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Still, it was a lot better than I feared (I DO wish the dog thing had stayed more of a secret but it's in the title so...). The one I'm REALLY worried about is next week but we will see.

I have to agree, it may have not been the best episode, but the promos made me think this was going to be a really bad episode, with the whole Dean with a Sniper Rifle and the whole possibly shooting Sam, but it turned out a lot better than I thought, True the whole premise was completely different than the promo implied, I mean skinwalkers, dang, I didn't even think it was werewolves until they started saying it was a werewolf and then they changed it to Skinwalkers. I guess the promo didn't exactly say what the implied Alpha was going to be. I'm Just glad it didn't turn into Dean considering killing Sam while Sam was trying to get the "Alpha" by himself, that probably would've been a horrible episode.

As for next week's episode, it looks absolutely hilarious. It's about time we get an episode this season devoted mostly to the funny moments. Say what any of you will about the subject of said episode, it's still funny when you think about it. Oh the hilarious quotes that will most likely spawn from that episode. Hopefully it'll be near Changing Channels funny or funnier than "Pudding!"

I don't mind the subject matter, per se, and I love the funny episodes just a bit worried about the whole Will o' wisp style faries. Silly me I thought they would take human form like most (if not all) of the monsters the show deals with. Makes it easier to make them scary and threatening when they don't look like lightening bugs. If I were Dean I would buy a flyswatter, a can of bug killer and be done with it already.

libra113

[16]Nov 13, 2010
    smegmag wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    jake-sf wrote:

LordSothe wrote:

Umm but they DID show Lucky shot, just not killed (and as an animal lover that was close enough). My only real issues were: (1) the shape shifters we've see before have been often called skinwalkers in various external material (the guidebooks and whatnot) so it was a bit cofusing when the real thing showed up and (2) I'm also a little disspointed that they limited the skinwalker legend so much. In the actual legend they can become dogs, wolves, bears and such but the story only called for dogs so that's what we got. I kinda also have to say the simularity to Lucky's sitaution and Dean's was a bit heavy handed and Sam's dog jokes were getting old fast. Still, it was a lot better than I feared (I DO wish the dog thing had stayed more of a secret but it's in the title so...). The one I'm REALLY worried about is next week but we will see. So Sam doesn't care for Lisa and Ben anymore than I do. A good side to be souless I guess.
    Not exactly what I thought it would be, but I love animals so I cant really hate on it. I didnt mind the heavy handed parallel between Lucky/Mandy/Aiden and Dean/Lisa/Ben at least we were blessed with the ending that should have been --Lisa shutting the door in his face upfront!!! It would have saved us (well, me at least) from the total dreckitude of the Lisa/Ben storyline. I too am soulless if the definition is not caring about Lisa/Ben. Also they did manage to move the brother storyline an inch or two--Sam's top of episode spiel was totally fake, but the bottom speech bordered on the believable. So Sam's changing or at least he's becoming a better liar. Finally, kudos to the canine actor who played Lucky. He hit his marks, he emoted, he did particularly well when he perved on Mandy in the shower scene. So good job, boy, good job!!! P.S. human Lucky was pretty good too.

Yeah, I liked Lucky too and the ending was sad (if for no other reason than it looked awfully close to an ad I've been seeing on the cable channel about abused and neglected animals thus had a mental link to saddnesss), hopefully Lucky will find a home and not turn that family either.

Yeah, I like that Sam is FIANLLY admiting that he doesn't feel or care about anything and stop trying to put on that he does. A lot of people have been talking about the times he SEEMS to show emotion and I suspect (as I've said around here before) that thoes times are all him putting on emotions, trying to hide how bad things are.

Yep, I'm souless too if that whole Lisa/Ben thing is the only measure becasue I would have just as soon as them killed already. Hell, I was saying that before the season even started.

libra113

[17]Nov 13, 2010
    Shikady wrote:

I dunno. Maybe the power comes with the position you just have to have enough power to get to that point and get more power.

It's also possible that it has to do with a hidden benifactor (an idea I've suggested before)or that he found some other means of getting the power so he COULD become king of Hell.

On the subject, I've always wondered about Crossroads Demons. They make deals for souls but they have clue what people are going to ask. We know they can raise the dead, give people skills they don't have normally, increase their own skills to genius level, cure any illness and who knows what else?

What exactly ARE the powers of a Crossroads Demon and what are their limits?

grissomsidle

[18]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 17
    Okay before I say a thing about the episode I am going to say one thing. Some people keep wanting old Sam and Dean: It will NOT happen. You can't have old Sam and Dean because they went out the window as season's went along. They grew up. Had some hard experiences. Dean and Sam are never going to be exactly what they were before. I don't really want them to be the Sam and Dean of Season 1 or Season 2 or Season 3 or...you get my point. Okay, so that was longer than I intended. Now moving on to the episode.

There were two parts I liked the best about the episode. The scene with Crowley is one of them and the other is Dean and Sam in the very end. It was uh, maybe chilling to hear Sam say it outright that he doesn't care essentially about anyone. Hard to when you don't have a soul. He's all what makes the most sense to me guy. As for the storyline, it could have been better. I felt some for "Lucky". The skinwalker info was mildly interesting. Again, it mostly just fell a little flat. So there's my two cents.

basenji529

[19]Nov 13, 2010
    • level: 15

I honestly fell asleep halfway through this episode.

jkpop_07

[20]Nov 13, 2010
    I agree with the earlier posts... this ep was a filler. Although I will say that the one thing I loved about this ep was playing off dog fears. And what better dog can you get to play the villian than a German Shepherd and a Doberman! Well maybe a Pit Bull. And I'm pretty sure all those skinwalkers Sam and Dean killed aren't going to heaven.