Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWIn Season

Official Discussion Thread: And Then There Was None (possible spoilers)

libra113

[21]Mar 3, 2011
    • level: 27
    dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Now we all know Agatha Christie wasn't one of thoes but I can see how the publisher, the book sellers, etc... wouldn't want to have their fingerprints on the book regardless of intent or context.

Yeah, indeed. I think it was even published under that name, then someone complained. I'm not sure if this was before or after someone complained about 'Ten Little Indians' title, but this has definitely gotta be one of those controversial books. It's also deemed one of her best.

I like Agatha Christie because she knows a lot about psychology, and can tell you a lot about a character in just a few sentences.

I wonder if the plot of this episode resembles the book, with unknown killer, or it's something else...
    Well, that's why I've avoided giving the ending in case someone on here hasn't read it (or knows the story) and it turns out the ending is the same or simluar.

Yeah it's a tough topic with titles and all that. I know on some board (can't remember if it was here or another) someone was saying that the term Indian is acutally better than Native American to them (they said they were one) and with all the back and forth I know I have no clue how to phrase it, so I just stay away from it totally.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BarryWeen3

[22]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 14

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Now we all know Agatha Christie wasn't one of thoes but I can see how the publisher, the book sellers, etc... wouldn't want to have their fingerprints on the book regardless of intent or context.
    Yeah, indeed. I think it was even published under that name, then someone complained. I'm not sure if this was before or after someone complained about 'Ten Little Indians' title, but this has definitely gotta be one of those controversial books. It's also deemed one of her best. I like Agatha Christie because she knows a lot about psychology, and can tell you a lot about a character in just a few sentences. I wonder if the plot of this episode resembles the book, with unknown killer, or it's something else...

Apparently when it was originally published in the UK in 1939, it was released under its original title of Ten Little N.......s. Then after some complaints it was retitled in 1940 as And Then There Were None. The novel was released in the US as Ten Little Indians. Everywhere in the UK version that the n-word was used was replaced by indian as was the nursery rhyme that was the partof the storyline. Nowadays for poltical correctness, the book is called And Then There Were None and the rhyme is called Ten Little Soldiers and the story is set on Soldier Island.

dpebbleson

[23]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 23
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

dpebbleson wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, indeed. I think it was even published under that name, then someone complained. I'm not sure if this was before or after someone complained about 'Ten Little Indians' title, but this has definitely gotta be one of those controversial books. It's also deemed one of her best. I like Agatha Christie because she knows a lot about psychology, and can tell you a lot about a character in just a few sentences. I wonder if the plot of this episode resembles the book, with unknown killer, or it's something else...

Apparently when it was originally published in the UK in 1939, it was released under its original title of Ten Little N.......s. Then after some complaints it was retitled in 1940 as And Then There Were None. The novel was released in the US as Ten Little Indians. Everywhere in the UK version that the n-word was used was replaced by indian as was the nursery rhyme that was the partof the storyline. Nowadays for poltical correctness, the book is called And Then There Were None and the rhyme is called Ten Little Soldiers and the story is set on Soldier Island.

Thanks for that info! The book is definitely controversial : )

solidusE

[24]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 4
    wtf is going on in this thread!

i'm hijacking it back!

is this the season finale?

KingofIPirates

[25]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 32
    Mediocre episode at it's core, was quite bland throughout and there was little if anything that felt the least bit compelling.

libra113

[26]Mar 4, 2011

KingofIPirates wrote:
    Mediocre episode at it's core, was quite bland throughout and there was little if anything that felt the least bit compelling.
    That seems to be your default setting these days.

I couldn't diagree more this episode had a lot going for it:

We see the Mother of All, Eve, in action. I can only guess Eve was unhappy with her write up in Bible and went bad, spawing monsters to get even.

We lose Gramps and that female Campbell cousin (could almost hear the audience cheering whe Gramps bit it). On the downside we also lost Rufus and nearly lost Bobby (nice glypmse at his backstory and the connection with Rufus).

We get a better idea of what Eve is up to and what her plan is and it's not a pretty picture.

On top of all that we see Dean cleaing the slate with Sam, now the REAL test will be to see if he lives up to his words or not.

All and all it's a good set up for what comes next. Too bad they're going on another long break (or so it seems) so it will be a bit before we see what happens next.

Edited on 03/04/2011 7:31pm

RachelleMcAdams

[27]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 11

Great episode . Overall very suspenseful, well written, and kept me on edge

Highlights of the episode

I liked the shocking reveal of Mother of All big game plan Dean telling Sam Mary would think that family means more than just blood and it's a title you got to earn. Dean condemning Rufus for holding a grudge because life is short and chiefly for hunters and in the end they are family and that is what matters

No Castiel popping up for a comedy relief or no angels at all

Lowlights and dissappointments

Mother of All once again bad acting and trying too hard to be creepy by making out with truck driver. Reintroducing major recurring characters and killing them all off instead of resolving conflicts there was between Bobby and Rufus and most of allredeeming Samuel

Edited on 03/04/2011 7:42pm
    Edited 3 total times.

libra113

[28]Mar 4, 2011
    Well, we should know by now that this show doesn't do resoultion like that, I mean Rufus said he could never forgive Bobby so there's not much that can be done beyond that point.

As for Gramps, not sure how you redeam someone who did what he did short of the cop out of saying it wasn't really him or something.

RachelleMcAdams

[29]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 11
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, we should know by now that this show doesn't do resoultion like that, I mean Rufus said he could never forgive Bobby so there's not much that can be done beyond that point.

As for Gramps, not sure how you redeam someone who did what he did short of the cop out of saying it wasn't really him or something.

He told them that it was spilled blood and basically what done is done I don't buy that the man who raised the sweet,kind hearted Mary and the man she cried over when he died was a cold hearted jerk

libra113

[30]Mar 4, 2011
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

He told them that it was spilled blood and basically what done is done I don't buy that the man who raised the sweet,kind hearted Mary and the man she cried over when he died was a cold hearted jerk
    Maybe he came back without a soul too. Maybe his soul is stil in Heaven and Crowley just raised his body to use as a pawn in his plan.

presario111

[31]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 5

wow this episode started out slow, but it got really interesting in the end and wuz the most heartfelt ive seen this show in a while..at first i thought wutever it wuz wuz just messing with them in their heads cuz i didnt think they would kill three reacuring charecters like that. i expect more of a downfall to creepy grandpa. and i guess well never see that rufus bobby spin off . as for mother either shes just taking the name eve or the bible has seriosly got her story wrong all i know is that im now more interested in her. the worm thing= worst std ever!!!

presario111

[32]Mar 4, 2011

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, we should know by now that this show doesn't do resoultion like that, I mean Rufus said he could never forgive Bobby so there's not much that can be done beyond that point. As for Gramps, not sure how you redeam someone who did what he did short of the cop out of saying it wasn't really him or something.
    Maybe he came back without a soul too. Maybe his soul is stil in Heaven and Crowley just raised his body to use as a pawn in his plan.

didnt cas confirm that his soul wuz intact on "family matters".

presario111

[33]Mar 4, 2011
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:

Mother of All once again bad acting and trying too hard to be creepy by making out with truck driver. Reintroducing major recurring characters and killing them all off instead of resolving conflicts there was between Bobby and Rufus and most of allredeeming Samuel

ya they didnt pick the best actress to play her i thought for certain shed switch virgins by now. as for samuel. honesty i was more heartbroken that gwen got killed.so i guess i just dont care that samuel is dead but i guess we still dont know who brought him back

libra113

[34]Mar 4, 2011
    presario111 wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    RachelleMcAdams wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, we should know by now that this show doesn't do resoultion like that, I mean Rufus said he could never forgive Bobby so there's not much that can be done beyond that point. As for Gramps, not sure how you redeam someone who did what he did short of the cop out of saying it wasn't really him or something.

didnt cas confirm that his soul wuz intact on "family matters".

I dunno, I wasn't even really serious.

tvtome_xena321

[35]Mar 4, 2011

Good episode, but campells such pointless, a waste of a storyline and money in reintroducing them, resurrecting them only to kill them off. Why bother. I'm used to seeing recurring characters killed off. Because to be honest everyone can die except Sam, Dean, Cas and Bobby. Mother is interesting, I wonder if she will carry into next season? Seems too big of a story-arc to wrap up too quickly.

I think Mother will indeed appear in the form of
    ***SPOILER***

Edited on 03/04/2011 8:53pm

DABhand_UK

[36]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 2
    Aha I knew she was Eve

And people doubted me

SeddonStokes

[38]Mar 4, 2011
    • level: 1
    I really hope that she's just calling herself that rather than being THE eve. I thought we were moving away from the judo-Christianity stuff and into a different mythology what with death, souls and introduction of alphas, faeries etc.

I know Supernatural has messed around with christian mythology, but making Eve the mythological Lilith after introducing Lilith already as first Demon seems so cheap to me. ESPECIALLY after its been said that the old-gods were around before God and co, so that means they wouldnt be offspring of Mother, who is meant to be Mother of all. How is eve, who in mythology an ordinary human, creating monster?(Too much inbreeding with adam lol)Why does she hate humanity who she's meant to have spawned (I though Sup's didnt adhere to 7days creationism) and placed in a hellish purgatory not the same one described in Dante or held by Christianity (personally i dont think it is christian one, rather a seperate realm like faeries). When we have mythologies such as greek where they HAD a mother of all monsters, why twist Eve? (interesting note) Eve denounced Jesus as just a man, but admitted god real (and abandon them), so why bother lieing about Jesus. Was he just human in Supernatural? I mention this because its still a question mark in Supernatural's mythology

libra113

[39]Mar 4, 2011

tvtome_xena321 wrote:

Good episode, but campells such pointless, a waste of a storyline and money in reintroducing them, resurrecting them only to kill them off. Why bother. I'm used to seeing recurring characters killed off. Because to be honest everyone can die except Sam, Dean, Cas and Bobby. Mother is interesting, I wonder if she will carry into next season? Seems too big of a story-arc to wrap up too quickly.

I think Mother will indeed appear in the form of
    ***SPOILER***

but how will she do that? One thing that DID bug me: If her face looks like that on film the whole time how come only Sam, Dean and Bobby notice it? I can see if it was just a flash but it seemed like it was the whole time she was on screen.

libra113

[40]Mar 4, 2011
    SeddonStokes wrote:
    I really hope that she's just calling herself that rather than being THE eve. I thought we were moving away from the judo-Christianity stuff and into a different mythology what with death, souls and introduction of alphas, faeries etc.

I know Supernatural has messed around with christian mythology, but making Eve the mythological Lilith after introducing Lilith already as first Demon seems so cheap to me. ESPECIALLY after its been said that the old-gods were around before God and co, so that means they wouldnt be offspring of Mother, who is meant to be Mother of all. How is eve, who in mythology an ordinary human, creating monster?(Too much inbreeding with adam lol)Why does she hate humanity who she's meant to have spawned (I though Sup's didnt adhere to 7days creationism) and placed in a hellish purgatory not the same one described in Dante or held by Christianity (personally i dont think it is christian one, rather a seperate realm like faeries). When we have mythologies such as greek where they HAD a mother of all monsters, why twist Eve? (interesting note) Eve denounced Jesus as just a man, but admitted god real (and abandon them), so why bother lieing about Jesus. Was he just human in Supernatural? I mention this because its still a question mark in Supernatural's mythology
    Well, I don't think they're remolding her into Lilith per se but hey if one of Adam's wives can go bad then why not another one.

I mean she is blamed for tricking Adam into eating the apple and is blamed for the creation of original sin so she would have a lot to be angry and vengful about.

As for the chronology that's a bit of an issue. Personally, I've caught myself thinking of them as coming into exsistance around the time humans begain to worship them or whatever but that's not neccisarily the case.

Adam and Eve COULD have predated everything (as the classic version of their story says) but the other gods came in during the time inbetween.

I mean if you mix the Bible and real history there would be a gap between the formation of the Earth (much less the rise of humans) and the rise of Christianity so there is room.