Official Discussion Thread: Appointment in Samarra (possible spoilers)

valenerramouspe

[21]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 9
    Well he finally got his soul back, no more dragging that out. Although there seems to be no big problem to solve now. I mean, who cares about Alphas and purgatory now that Crowley's gone? Sam's soul is out, and although they did mention Adam in this episode, Dean didn't exactly try too hard to keep him in the deal, so I'm guessing no saving Adam either. Digging information on souls, maybe, but that sounds danger-free and a little lame. I can't make out what the season's "topic" is, but I'm loving it so far, this episode was great, it really sucks that we have to wait a month and a half.
    There's something I don't get about Death. Does he have to be wearing the ring to do his job? Cause nobody had worn it in a while. So it makes other people into Death but to the actual Death it is useless?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

presario111

[22]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 5

valenerramouspe wrote:
    Well he finally got his soul back, no more dragging that out. Although there seems to be no big problem to solve now. I mean, who cares about Alphas and purgatory now that Crowley's gone? Sam's soul is out, and although they did mention Adam in this episode, Dean didn't exactly try too hard to keep him in the deal, so I'm guessing no saving Adam either. Digging information on souls, maybe, but that sounds danger-free and a little lame. I can't make out what the season's "topic" is, but I'm loving it so far, this episode was great, it really sucks that we have to wait a month and a half. There's something I don't get about Death. Does he have to be wearing the ring to do his job? Cause nobody had worn it in a while. So it makes other people into Death but to the actual Death it is useless?

i think who ever wears the ring simply represents death but in no way actually makes him cause it was still pretty obviouse death didnt need the ring to be all powerful but maybe he needs the ring to be able to leave earth. its been shown that reapers can kill with a touch wich is all dean did so in a way i think the ring simply makes u into a reaper briefly and that tessa was there to show him the ropes. still supernatural has the best grim reaper ever and as long as julian richings keeps giving a performance like that im not gonna question the plot holes.

by the way i cant help but wonder if death payed for that food at the end or if he just walked in and killed everyone again. (maybe he only kills u if u ask for a tip)

Copioli

[23]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 10
    I am very glad that they mentioned Adam. I think they will find a way to save him too.
    I liked this episode. Death, Tessa, Robert Englund, all great. And Sam is recovering his soul.

Answering a question above; I don't think Dean is being selfish. He loves Sam, and souless Sam is not Sam. He can't leave his real brother in cage being tortured

libra113

[24]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 27
    I've had a busy weekend so I didn't get to watch the episode until last night then I was too busy catching up on e-mails to get here until now.

Like Rober England but I wish they had the budget to have him in it a bit more than that and why not just find another psychic to set up the astral travel thing than risking death going to an back alley doctor (even if he's an old family friend)?

Other than that it was really good. Dean FIANLLY seems to get that cheating death has it's conceqences and it's pretty likely that the wall Death sets up isn't going to hold.

The soul thing sounds intresting and I'm sure it all ties into the Alphas and Purgatory. Like I said elsewhere if Mary (and likely John) ended up in Purgatory then it's likely others have ended up there as well so there's a whole collection of 'lost souls' in there just waiting to be collected.

Still, suspect Balthazar was the power behind Crowley and that he will continue Crowley's work to find Purgatory and it's lost bounty of souls. All and all I would say a lot happened and it was good fun. Hopefully this will satisfy the people who were so unhappy before.

aussiemovieguy

[25]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 3
    libra113 wrote:
    and it's pretty likely that the wall Death sets up isn't going to hold.

this is the reason this episode annoyed me so much. Sam's soul will go back in fine, he and Dean will make up and be best buds, and just when you think the shows gonna be about something else besides Sam for once, he's gonna go crackers and its gonna start all over again. Besides that I thought it was a good episode. the part with the little girl was really moving, and added some much needed real emotion rather then the fake lisa-ben crap. Am I the only one that wants to see Sam back to "normal" again? I have expressed before that i'm getting tired of the sam storyline, and it just seems once again they've set him up to fall again.... I know you will say "thats what its all about", but its really starting to get same ol' same ol for me.....

dman_dustin

[26]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 8

aussiemovieguy wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    this is the reason this episode annoyed me so much. Sam's soul will go back in fine, he and Dean will make up and be best buds, and just when you think the shows gonna be about something else besides Sam for once, he's gonna go crackers and its gonna start all over again. Besides that I thought it was a good episode. the part with the little girl was really moving, and added some much needed real emotion rather then the fake lisa-ben crap. Am I the only one that wants to see Sam back to "normal" again? I have expressed before that i'm getting tired of the sam storyline, and it just seems once again they've set him up to fall again.... I know you will say "thats what its all about", but its really starting to get same ol' same ol for me.....

I very much disagree, because I don't really like it when there's all this build-up and then.....nothing happens.

Take the releasing of Lucifer, do you know how annoyed I would be if Lucifer wasn't released and somehow Dean and Sam stopped it? I'd be disappointed.

Just like this, I actually want to see what happens, while I'm not sure how Jared is going to pull it off, but I really want to see what happens to Sam when the wall comes down.

So yeah I really want to see what happens to Sam when the wall goes down, because they made it so interesting sounding. I mean Dean was sort of messed up, but Sam's soul had to deal with 2 upset archangels, I want to see what happens.

I know it's wrong to want to see what happens, but I'll be disappointed if somehow the wall doesn't break down.

supernaturalFTW

[27]Dec 12, 2010
    • level: 2
    libra113 wrote:
    Still, suspect Balthazar was the power behind Crowley and that he will continue Crowley's work to find Purgatory and it's lost bounty of souls. All and all I would say a lot happened and it was good fun. Hopefully this will satisfy the people who were so unhappy before.

crowley was working for some1? he doesnt seem like the type to work for someone specially after he overthrew the devil so he can be the king of hell. as for purgatory crowley said that he wanted a place to expand into. in weekend at bobby's crowley said how stressful ruling hell was mayb he wanted purgatory to purify the demons so they would be more civil or something. i think his storyline is over but there is still the question about y the supernatural creatures r massing an army and being more aggressive(werewolfs at half moons) and such

libra113

[28]Dec 12, 2010
    aussiemovieguy wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

Well, I'm not exactly itching to see the mopey old Sam or the I know better than everyone else Sam or the other faces of Sam we've seen previously but there's only so far they could go with emotionaless Sam so I guess it had to happen eventually.

Maybe it's getting old but in the same way that watching "CSI" solve murders is getting old or watching "Buffy" take out evil monsters or the characters from "Star Trek" exploring alien planet and meeting aliens.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No "Supernatural" isn't ALL about Sam and his various situations but that IS a big part of it.

Like I said before he's Luke Skywalker and Dean is Han Solo (they've said it from the start) so yeah it's mostly going to be about Sam and his issues with Dean just reacting but it's not like Dean doesn't have SOME part. I mean it's Dean who was brought back by angels to be Micheal's vessles. It's Dean who went face to face with Death himself twice. He does have a role just not the most important role.

I would love to see him take the spot for a bit without it being moping over Lisa and Ben and maybe he will soon just not seeing it anytime soon.

libra113

[29]Dec 12, 2010
    supernaturalFTW wrote:
    libra113 wrote:

crowley was working for some1? he doesnt seem like the type to work for someone specially after he overthrew the devil so he can be the king of hell. as for purgatory crowley said that he wanted a place to expand into. in weekend at bobby's crowley said how stressful ruling hell was mayb he wanted purgatory to purify the demons so they would be more civil or something. i think his storyline is over but there is still the question about y the supernatural creatures r massing an army and being more aggressive(werewolfs at half moons) and such
    Well, no it was never stated he was working WITH someone (I never really meant FOR)but a lot of people have wondered how he had such a major rise to power all on his own and I gotta say, even as poweful as a Crossroads Demon would have to be (they have to be able to cut any kind of deal someone brings them) I don't know how much of that power they can just use as they wish and how much has to be used to make a deal with someone else (red tape and all that) so yeah I suspect there was a greater power behind him.

Also, since Balthazar said that souls were the only thing that had value anymore he seems a natural choice.

What Crowley hinted at was expanding Hell into Purgatory but I gotta say if I was him and I was secretly working with an angel to collect lost souls for some reason I just MIGHT lie about my motives to keep everyone from knowing about the lost souls and getting their first or stopping me. Maybe that's just me.

jack756

[30]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 14
    jack756 wrote:

this was nice to see tess again.now thats a character i wouldnt mine seeing again. this for me is a great epsiode.i love everything about it.

but it was some things i hated:

i dont like how this sam soul thing is dragging on(when they get his soul back all im gone think is poor adam is down there suffering for nothing.he had no ideal whats going on.maybe dean should save adam and let sam have no soul.sam was close to not having a soul anyway.why try to save someone who is behind saving.thats what dean learned i this epsidoe with the girl)

also sam trying to kill bobby i dont know what to think.a first i was like he beat not kill bobbby i will forever hate sera.but then i was like if they gone kill him get it over with all ready and basically nothing happened.i feel like they chop out.i mean they been killing so many characters off but yet when it bobby times they chop out,i was screaming at the tv(someone said if they kill bobby fans will leave the show.all i will say if fans leave over that they werent no real fans to began with.the show is about sam and dean not bobby)

im still with the show even do i dont know if i like this season or not

am i missing something.when did sam get his soul back i thought death put a whole in sam head that will make him be sam for a while until death get sam real soul.and i pray adam get outs.it sad to know he got in there for nothing and still down there been tortured...

jkpop_07

[31]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 5
    Wow what a thrilling ep! I was expecting more laughs because of Dean being Death for a day and I was pleasantly surprised by how moving this storyline was! Loved it that Death was teaching Dean a lesson. In fact I love Death as a character and especially the actor who plays him!

So far I'm not convinced that Balthazar is the 'big bad' and that Crowley was working for him. I think that they working together and that maybe there's a higher up that they're working for. Although I get this free agent/rebel fibe from Balthazar so he could be a big bad but only if he does something bad ass soon. Then I'll be convinced.

lostcause78

[32]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 9
    jack756 wrote:
    jack756 wrote:

this was nice to see tess again.now thats a character i wouldnt mine seeing again. this for me is a great epsiode.i love everything about it.

i dont like how this sam soul thing is dragging on(when they get his soul back all im gone think is poor adam is down there suffering for nothing.he had no ideal whats going on.maybe dean should save adam and let sam have no soul.sam was close to not having a soul anyway.why try to save someone who is behind saving.thats what dean learned i this epsidoe with the girl)

also sam trying to kill bobby i dont know what to think.a first i was like he beat not kill bobbby i will forever hate sera.but then i was like if they gone kill him get it over with all ready and basically nothing happened.i feel like they chop out.i mean they been killing so many characters off but yet when it bobby times they chop out,i was screaming at the tv(someone said if they kill bobby fans will leave the show.all i will say if fans leave over that they werent no real fans to began with.the show is about sam and dean not bobby)

am i missing something.when did sam get his soul back i thought death put a whole in sam head that will make him be sam for a while until death get sam real soul.and i pray adam get outs.it sad to know he got in there for nothing and still down there been tortured...

No death just went in and fetched Sams soul, putting up the wall as he inserted the soul. It wasn't a matter of time for death, just a matter of "why the heck should I?". When he decided that he wanted to get it, he just went and got it.
    Let's face it, we're talking about the being that isn't all that impressed by god..he knows how to get things done!

As for the wall, we all know it is bound to get scrathed at, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced it in the first place. So now it's just a matter of waiting to see how long it takes, until Sam is once again turned into "something else"

libra113

[33]Dec 13, 2010
    jkpop_07 wrote:
    Wow what a thrilling ep! I was expecting more laughs because of Dean being Death for a day and I was pleasantly surprised by how moving this storyline was! Loved it that Death was teaching Dean a lesson. In fact I love Death as a character and especially the actor who plays him!

So far I'm not convinced that Balthazar is the 'big bad' and that Crowley was working for him. I think that they working together and that maybe there's a higher up that they're working for. Although I get this free agent/rebel fibe from Balthazar so he could be a big bad but only if he does something bad ass soon. Then I'll be convinced.
    Well, one doesn't have to be out and out bad to still threaten the whole apple cart.

It's clear that Balthy has become a soul collector because they have value (to who, in what way and all that still not clearly explained) and the idea of angels lowering themselves to making Crossroads style deals with mortals for their souls is a more than a little unseemily and highly questionable and if an angel is going to get in that market who better to help him break into that market than Crowley.

I'm not saying either of them was working FOR the other but that they were partners. Probably something like: I help make you king of Hell and you help me find Purgatory. You can keep the dimenion and the monsters but I get the misdirected human souls who went there because they were salted and burned by hunters or missed the original stairway to Heaven or express bus to Hell kinda deal.

They both have/has things they wanted and so they teamed up in an unholy alliance to get it and likely planned to crossed to each other given the chance.

In fact, given Crowley's suprise at Cas finding his bones I wouldn't be suprised if Blathy didn't have a hand in that and it was him double crossing Crowley before Crowley could double cross him.

Just a theory.

libra113

[34]Dec 13, 2010
    lostcause78 wrote:
    jack756 wrote:
    jack756 wrote:

No death just went in and fetched Sams soul, putting up the wall as he inserted the soul. It wasn't a matter of time for death, just a matter of "why the heck should I?". When he decided that he wanted to get it, he just went and got it.
    Let's face it, we're talking about the being that isn't all that impressed by god..he knows how to get things done!

As for the wall, we all know it is bound to get scrathed at, otherwise they wouldn't have introduced it in the first place. So now it's just a matter of waiting to see how long it takes, until Sam is once again turned into "something else"
    Well, my impression was that Death always planned on doing the soul retreaval for Dean he just wanted to put Dean through his paces first to teach him a lesson. He was just being coy about not doing it at all.

As for Sam scratching at that wall given how big a deal Death made about it he might as well have told him to scratch away. It's like in the movies when someone says don't look down... the first thing the other character does is look down.

Also, it's not so much a matter of turning into something else as it is remembering all the pain and horror and being like Dean just out of Hell times a thousand. Should be fun.

basenji529

[35]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 15

Damn, I missed it?

JoshSutton

[36]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 15
    This episode reminded me of what i liked about Supernatural before, it was about helping people, seeing Dean not want to kill these innocent people but help them stay alive was something i was glad to see. The brothers are so often wrapped up in their own stuff that they forget there's monsters out there killing helpless people. There was also emotion and intrigue in this too what with Sam getting his soul back at the end, plus i'm loving Death. This is definitely a season favourite for me in comparison to the slow moving, nothing much happening rest of the season.

pgsuperfan

[37]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 25

best one of the season so far

WCSU1987

[38]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 3

Sera is doing an awesome job with taking charge of Supernatural. Think this is one of the best seasons yet. However, the show seems to be going in so many different directions with the storyline. Just wondering when they will all connect or will they play out in there own part. Crowley was collecting monsters and trying to find Purgatory. Samuel is trying to find his daughter. Sam had no soul, but now has a soul with a dam attached to it. Death wants Dean to investigate the mystery of the souls. Balthazar is collecting souls. There are missing weapons from Heaven. Angels are fighting a civil war. Lisa and Ben possibly will have some connection. Do not forget Adam and the Cage. There is the possibility of God or Chuck becoming involved in the story.

libra113

[39]Dec 13, 2010
    WCSU1987 wrote:

Sera is doing an awesome job with taking charge of Supernatural. Think this is one of the best seasons yet. However, the show seems to be going in so many different directions with the storyline. Just wondering when they will all connect or will they play out in there own part. Crowley was collecting monsters and trying to find Purgatory. Samuel is trying to find his daughter. Sam had no soul, but now has a soul with a dam attached to it. Death wants Dean to investigate the mystery of the souls. Balthazar is collecting souls. There are missing weapons from Heaven. Angels are fighting a civil war. Lisa and Ben possibly will have some connection. Do not forget Adam and the Cage. There is the possibility of God or Chuck becoming involved in the story.

Well hopefully Lisa and Ben are history at this point, I just plain don't like them. Now if they want to bring them back so they can have a horrible, painful, death that Dean can get all angry and vengful about then cool. Otherwise let them fade away PLEASE.

As for all the rest since it all has to do with souls it's all bound to dovetail when we least expect it and probably in a way no one thought of yet.

fenerliyim

[40]Dec 13, 2010
    • level: 2

The only part that annoyed me was that Dean interned as death on a very very very very very slow day. Honestly he killed like 2 people and it was already night time. You think death would have a much harder day seeing how there is 6 billion people on earth.