Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Exile on Main Street (possible spoilers)

  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [101]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    Well, I don't know if it's so much about Dean being happy as it is about him being out and alive and having a CHANCE at maybe getting there eventually. Look at the hunters we've met, they all either die or become bitter recluses or whackjobs. For someone to get out young and intact physically and (somewhat) mentally is a rare thing.

    My issue with Dean staying behind is how silly it's gonna be if it drags on too much longer.

    Every week Dean turns Sam down, Sam accepts it and wishes him well, then next week shows up with 'one more situation'. It's going to look silly if it goes beyond next week and the longer it goes beyound that the more silly it's gonna seem.

    No, I wouldn't expect Dean to just walk away but what I WOULD expect is for him to decide to take the fight to whoever or whatever is the root of the trouble (thus making Lisa and Ben more safe in the long run) OR, I would excpect for Lisa to be outraged at Ben being put in danger becasue Dean is in her house and decide that his being phsyically safe is more important than having a man the house.

    She's coming off like one of these chicks who thinks their lives aren't compleate without a man and will take anything just to keep a man in their lives and it's just pathetic.

    When this finally ends and the show (literally and figuratively) gets back on the road I HOPE it's becasue she tells him all that and just makes him leave.

    Enough already with this surbian Dean thing. Not what I started watching the show for. I'm all for change and keeping things fresh but a show cannot change the core of it's nature or it will fail. The core this show's nature is the supernatural (it's the title) and they need to get back to that with the main characters there on screen, doing what they do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of MusicLover44

    MusicLover44

    [102]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 12/27/04
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 329

    Hey I had someone tape this for me, so I'm watching it now and I have a couple of questions. Was it just me or did they jump from Dean being concerned about where Lisa and Ben are, you know after they come running in the house Sam sees the guy in the car dead and they can't find Lisa and Ben, to a commercial break and then straight into the two of them appearing with the boys at Bobby's house? If not (which is what I'm suspecting) where were Lisa and Ben?

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of cherry_brandy

    cherry_brandy

    [103]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 08/04/08
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 711
    Sounds like you missed a bit. Lisa and Ben came into the house, Dean ran and hugged them and asked where the hell they'd been. Lisa reminded him they'd gone to the movies as requested.

    I thought it was a decent ep. You have to remember it's more like a series premier rather than a season premier. A whole new story. And Libs, you hated the idea of Lisa from the start, you sound a little fangirly and prejudiced dude I really liked her. And I wasn't that bothered about her before. I found it quite refreshing that she just trusted him and accepted stuff without freaking or screaming 'how could you endanger my son' at him. THAT would have been blah and cliche.

    I'm a bit concerned at how many folks thought Azazel was real, come on guys you need to pay much more attention. About Sam. I really REALLY hope this isn't going to turn into yet another Sam hate, Sam is a jerk, Sam is Evil fest. I am SO bored with that. Please people change the record. Obviously something is up with him. When Dean handed him the keys he sort of frowned as if trying to figure out how to react, like he'd forgotten. It was odd, but telling. He also told Dean that it was better with him around, almost as if he was saying he needed a conscience, to remind him of what he was incapable of remembering. He was so matter of fact. My guess is his soul, or part of it is still in hell, maybe being held randsom or sumfink.

    One last thing. Libs, of course Dean's going to return to hunting soon. The alternative would be ridiuclous. You worry too much dude.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [104]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    Well, yeah I know it's gonna happen it's just how long are they going to drag out the situaiton and how silly is it gonna look in the meantime?

    I mean Sam's been out there with Bobby and the Campbells for a year and suddenly just becasue Dean KNOWS he's back he has to run back to him every week for help with this and that. Talk about disjointed and irrational.

    There's this whole thing going on where Sam SAYS he wants to let Dean live his life and yadda, yadda but the story REQUIRES them to work together so he has to keep coming back to Dean in this irrational way.

    The best way they could do it is end next week's episode with her blowing up, declaring that enough is enough and that he has to go. It's the only way he's gonna leave and would be nice to see Lisa doormat assert herself for a change.

    The only time I ever thought she seemed real and actually thought I could like her was in her first appreance where she was pointing out that didn't really know each other, that their time was a long time ago and she wasn't that person anymore and that he should just leave. Where is that Lisa?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of taxcat11

    taxcat11

    [105]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 11/14/08
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 216
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, yeah I know it's gonna happen it's just how long are they going to drag out the situaiton and how silly is it gonna look in the meantime?

    I mean Sam's been out there with Bobby and the Campbells for a year and suddenly just becasue Dean KNOWS he's back he has to run back to him every week for help with this and that. Talk about disjointed and irrational.

    There's this whole thing going on where Sam SAYS he wants to let Dean live his life and yadda, yadda but the story REQUIRES them to work together so he has to keep coming back to Dean in this irrational way.

    The best way they could do it is end next week's episode with her blowing up, declaring that enough is enough and that he has to go. It's the only way he's gonna leave and would be nice to see Lisa doormat assert herself for a change.

    The only time I ever thought she seemed real and actually thought I could like her was in her first appreance where she was pointing out that didn't really know each other, that their time was a long time ago and she wasn't that person anymore and that he should just leave. Where is that Lisa?


    She did her homework and figured out that Dean Winchester is the best thing that could have happened to her.

    Ask Kate & Adam how exactly John Winchester not being around worked out for them. There is no such thing as safe - there is only safer. Dean being on scene is much better than Dean not being there. Just how stupid do you think she is? Exactly how do you expect a yoga teacher to protect a child without a hunter on site? Run & hide - good luck with that, Supernatural things seem to be pretty good a tracking things down. Become a hunter herself? What for? She already has one who wants to be around. Besides, she has had a year to get to know Dean for who he really is. Maybe she really does care for him now too.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [106]Sep 27, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    taxcat11 wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well, yeah I know it's gonna happen it's just how long are they going to drag out the situaiton and how silly is it gonna look in the meantime?

    I mean Sam's been out there with Bobby and the Campbells for a year and suddenly just becasue Dean KNOWS he's back he has to run back to him every week for help with this and that. Talk about disjointed and irrational.

    There's this whole thing going on where Sam SAYS he wants to let Dean live his life and yadda, yadda but the story REQUIRES them to work together so he has to keep coming back to Dean in this irrational way.

    The best way they could do it is end next week's episode with her blowing up, declaring that enough is enough and that he has to go. It's the only way he's gonna leave and would be nice to see Lisa doormat assert herself for a change.

    The only time I ever thought she seemed real and actually thought I could like her was in her first appreance where she was pointing out that didn't really know each other, that their time was a long time ago and she wasn't that person anymore and that he should just leave. Where is that Lisa?


    She did her homework and figured out that Dean Winchester is the best thing that could have happened to her.

    Ask Kate & Adam how exactly John Winchester not being around worked out for them. There is no such thing as safe - there is only safer. Dean being on scene is much better than Dean not being there. Just how stupid do you think she is? Exactly how do you expect a yoga teacher to protect a child without a hunter on site? Run & hide - good luck with that, Supernatural things seem to be pretty good a tracking things down. Become a hunter herself? What for? She already has one who wants to be around. Besides, she has had a year to get to know Dean for who he really is. Maybe she really does care for him now too.
    See I don't buy the idea that if they were on their own they would targets. That was one of my many issues with their first appreance. The idea that some chick who spent some time with him years ago would just happen to be in the middle of a case seems a bit hard to swallow, the odds against it would have to be staggering.

    For them to just happen to be attacked by some random monster all on their own (without any obivous connections to Dean) seems highly unlikely. She's not like the other chicks he met who just happened to be around when he was working a job he looked her up and there happened to be a job there. The whole set up doesn't seem beleavable at all.

    Also, lets not forget the ONLY reason the Djinn where there and after them was becasue Dean was there. If he wasn't they wouldn't have been there.

    In any case we ALL known he's gonna have to leave at some point so there's no point in dragging it out and making Sam look rediculas knocking on Dean's door week after week asking for his help just because he suddenly knows Sam is back.

    I'm just saying it's gotta happen, get on with it and let us enjoy the show we tuned into see and not whatever this is.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of annabeth

    annabeth

    [107]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 12/06/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 1

    I just watched the episode it was good one thing i picked up on was how different sam was he seemed very cold not like himself for instance the hug between the brothers sam had this weird smile on his face as well as dean offering the impala and he refused with also a strange look on his facei got to wonder ifit is sam if it is the demon blood has affected him in some wayand also dean was left out it use to be sam and dean family couldn't hunt without each other but now sam has a new family it seemed like dean was replaced i think sam hid the fact thathe was alive from dean for his own reasonsnot dean's happiness. Im looking forward to the new season it will only get better once the plot is revealed.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of embee87

    embee87

    [108]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 11/04/06
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 204

    All I can say is, I am glad I don't work on Supernatural. I mean, yes, they are lucky in that they have the most loyal, obsessive fan base. But their fans are also the hardest to please.


    I am so over everyone complaining about Dean's love interests. Seriously, you can justify/rationalize/analize all you want, but no one is ever satisfied and I find it hard to believe that the writers have just had a long string of misses there.I have liked some more than others, but the point is I have actually liked some. The characters theywrite are fine. It's the fans who seem to have all the problems. So when people complain about Lisa I skip their comments altogether. Not interested in the whining.


    As for the episode feeling off, I had been anticipating that all summer. Is it surprising that things feel a little different what with all the changes behind the scenes this year?


    And as for the story arc and Sam's personality transplant (yeah, he bugged me too!) give it time; I'm sure it's all part of the bigger plan. These writers have proven themselves over the last 5 years, why would you doubt them now?


    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sammyy91

    sammyy91

    [109]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 09/21/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 3

    Hmm i actually kind of liked the first episode. I know it wasnt anything special but we'll have to see how it develops.


    I think they planned to make Sam seem so cold. I think they are gonna try to show that Sam has lost the ability to feel genuine emotions. I mean he was stuck in the worst place possible, with two rather pissed of angels. So it wouldnt be too hard to believe that after everything he went through there, he has come back almost a psychopath, losing the ability to feel anything. The part that really made me believe this is the case is when Sam told Dean, after he had tried to rescue the couple, That he wouldnt have even considered of trying to save them

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [110]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    embee87 wrote:

    All I can say is, I am glad I don't work on Supernatural. I mean, yes, they are lucky in that they have the most loyal, obsessive fan base. But their fans are also the hardest to please.


    I am so over everyone complaining about Dean's love interests. Seriously, you can justify/rationalize/analize all you want, but no one is ever satisfied and I find it hard to believe that the writers have just had a long string of misses there.I have liked some more than others, but the point is I have actually liked some. The characters theywrite are fine. It's the fans who seem to have all the problems. So when people complain about Lisa I skip their comments altogether. Not interested in the whining.


    As for the episode feeling off, I had been anticipating that all summer. Is it surprising that things feel a little different what with all the changes behind the scenes this year?


    And as for the story arc and Sam's personality transplant (yeah, he bugged me too!) give it time; I'm sure it's all part of the bigger plan. These writers have proven themselves over the last 5 years, why would you doubt them now?


    Lisa is the only one I never liked becasue she felt real. She was basically a plot device the first time she was used. The second time (the dream espisode) she was a last minute replacement because the deal they were brokering to get Jason Vorshees for Dean's dream fell through and they needed something. Her appearances in the last season seemed tacted on and like they just needed SOMEBODY to pair him with and didn't have time to make up someone new so they ran to her.

    This season she's stopping the progress of the show. Sam and Dean have issues and the ONLY way those issues are gonna be shown, worked with and (eventaully) worked through is if they're forced together, but now he feels tied to her and her kid out of a sense of obligation which puts them in an awkward situation where Sam is gonna have to keep running to him for help (suddenly he NEEDS Dean for every little thing) and Dean doesn't have an out so he can just go with Sam and get it over with.

    After the rushed nature of last season and all the time they wasted on episodes that didn't feed the main story and now they're going to waste who knows how much time on this: Sam coming to Dean week after week for help with some excuse or another and Dean still being tied down by obligation. It's gonna wear thin and there's no end in sight. If they do it beyond the end of this week it's gonna be too much.

    Hopefully, this week she will get fed up with her home being turned into a warzone and just tell him to go, or at least realize that it would be better in the long run to let him go and do what he needs to do.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of pgsuperfan

    pgsuperfan

    [111]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 02/04/06
    • level: 25
    • rank: Coconut Phone
    • posts: 4,361

    finally had a chance to catch this one online I goofed my recording but just wondering how long before Dean decides to join Sammy and hunt again

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [112]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    sammyy91 wrote:

    Hmm i actually kind of liked the first episode. I know it wasnt anything special but we'll have to see how it develops.


    I think they planned to make Sam seem so cold. I think they are gonna try to show that Sam has lost the ability to feel genuine emotions. I mean he was stuck in the worst place possible, with two rather pissed of angels. So it wouldnt be too hard to believe that after everything he went through there, he has come back almost a psychopath, losing the ability to feel anything. The part that really made me believe this is the case is when Sam told Dean, after he had tried to rescue the couple, That he wouldnt have even considered of trying to save them

    But, just how long was he in Hell with Lucifer and Micheal and Adam? He said he came back nearly a year ago (apprently shortly after leaving), but also time is diffrent in Hell and later it was said he was back the whole time. Need some clarification on the timeframe and what went on. Pretty sure, like with Dean, he will spill a bit at a time as the season progressess.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sammyy91

    sammyy91

    [113]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 09/21/10
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 3

    libra113 wrote:
    sammyy91 wrote:


    Hmm i actually kind of liked the first episode. I know it wasnt anything special but we'll have to see how it develops.


    I think they planned to make Sam seem so cold. I think they are gonna try to show that Sam has lost the ability to feel genuine emotions. I mean he was stuck in the worst place possible, with two rather pissed of angels. So it wouldnt be too hard to believe that after everything he went through there, he has come back almost a psychopath, losing the ability to feel anything. The part that really made me believe this is the case is when Sam told Dean, after he had tried to rescue the couple, That he wouldnt have even considered of trying to save them


    But, just how long was he in Hell with Lucifer and Micheal and Adam? He said he came back nearly a year ago (apprently shortly after leaving), but also time is diffrent in Hell and later it was said he was back the whole time. Need some clarification on the timeframe and what went on. Pretty sure, like with Dean, he will spill a bit at a time as the season progressess.


    Hmm, thats true. They really didnt make anything clear with the first episode. You're right that eventually he will spill something, but i still believe it was deliberate that they made him so cold...i mean even when him and dean re-united, Dean showed some emotions, while Sam looked almost uninterested in the situation. Over the seasons, i always thought of Sam as the more emotional of the brothers, so it didnt seem to fit his character

    Edited on 09/28/2010 1:27pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [114]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    sammyy91 wrote:

    libra113 wrote:


    But, just how long was he in Hell with Lucifer and Micheal and Adam? He said he came back nearly a year ago (apprently shortly after leaving), but also time is diffrent in Hell and later it was said he was back the whole time. Need some clarification on the timeframe and what went on. Pretty sure, like with Dean, he will spill a bit at a time as the season progressess.


    Hmm, thats true. They really didnt make anything clear with the first episode. You're right that eventually he will spill something, but i still believe it was deliberate that they made him so cold...i mean even when him and dean re-united, Dean showed some emotions, while Sam looked almost uninterested in the situation. Over the seasons, i always thought of Sam as the more emotional of the brothers, so it didnt seem to fit his character

    [/QUOTE]See, that's the thing: on the surface Sam SEEMS the more emotional of the two but in REALITY Dean really always has been. The reason for the misconception is that Sam SHOWS his emotions more and Dean (normally) tries to supress them and be more stoic. Still, you're right Sam is suppressing his emotions more than he has in the past. As to WHY this is (his time in Hell, however long it was, possession, whatever)the jury is still out on that one. If I had to guess it's a mixture of several factors including his time in Hell, his spending a year hunting without Dean (thinking it was for Dean's own good), all the crap he's been through all these years, having beein host to Lucifer and all that demon blood (remember Cas told Dean that the amount of blood needed to kill Lilith would make him a monster, that was cleansed but the amount needed to be Lucifer's vessel has gotta be WAY more). Probably a lot of things really.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [115]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,645
    I wonder if Dean would've had to consume that much blood if he had agreed to become Michael's host?

    Or it was just related to Lucifer. And if it was, why so?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of CharmedOneP391

    CharmedOneP391

    [116]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 06/10/05
    • level: 19
    • rank: Fall Guy
    • posts: 1,105

    dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder if Dean would've had to consume that much blood if he had agreed to become Michael's host? Or it was just related to Lucifer. And if it was, why so?



    Demon blood makes the vessel stronger...so that Sam could take control of his body and throw himself into the hole. It didn't apply to Dean/Michael because they were only trying to put Lucifer back in his cage.



    sammyy91 wrote:


    Hmm i actually kind of liked the first episode. I know it wasnt anything special but we'll have to see how it develops.


    I think they planned to make Sam seem so cold. I think they are gonna try to show that Sam has lost the ability to feel genuine emotions. I mean he was stuck in the worst place possible, with two rather pissed of angels. So it wouldnt be too hard to believe that after everything he went through there, he has come back almost a psychopath, losing the ability to feel anything. The part that really made me believe this is the case is when Sam told Dean, after he had tried to rescue the couple, That he wouldnt have even considered of trying to save them




    Thats a very good point. I didn't really understand why Sam said that he wouldn't had tried to save them...when that doesn't match up with the heroic side of Sam we've seen the past 5 seasons. Somethings obviously up with Sammy...which is the biggest mystery right now.


    I wonder if he said that only because to him they were "already dead"?


    Edited on 09/28/2010 2:45pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [117]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,645
    Indeed, but then they said Lucifer drank gallons of blood in Nick's body to sustain himself in it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [118]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I wonder if Dean would've had to consume that much blood if he had agreed to become Michael's host?

    Or it was just related to Lucifer. And if it was, why so?
    I can't imagine an angelic vessle needing to taint themselves with demon blood. Anyway, there's not refrence to it, just that the vessle has to be of a special bloodline (apprently, oddly Winchester and NOT Campbell since Micheal was able to use John as a host). I can only assume it's a being in Hell thing, or give him greater power over demons or something. Maybe Lucifer's power now comes from an infernal source and requires a tainted hoast.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of libra113

    libra113

    [119]Sep 28, 2010
    • member since: 10/04/05
    • level: 27
    • rank: Shark Jumper
    • posts: 24,385
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Indeed, but then they said Lucifer drank gallons of blood in Nick's body to sustain himself in it.
    Yes and even then, as second choice, he was STILL wearing out and getting Freddy Kruger face.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dpebbleson

    dpebbleson

    [120]Sep 29, 2010
    • member since: 11/06/09
    • level: 23
    • rank: Close Talker
    • posts: 5,645
    libra113 wrote:
    dpebbleson wrote:
    Indeed, but then they said Lucifer drank gallons of blood in Nick's body to sustain himself in it.
    Yes and even then, as second choice, he was STILL wearing out and getting Freddy Kruger face.


    Could be from spending time in Hell indeed, that's what came to my mind as well.

    However, it wasn't really foreshadowed. Ruby said Sam didn't have to drink demon blood, it was just a "placebo" thing to start his powers. For Castiel it was the most horrendous thing in universe to do, but he apparently changed his mind when they needed a useful and (not-) convincing device to explain how Sam will take over Lucifer. Oh well.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.