Supernatural Forums

Wednesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Frontierland (possible spoilers)

smegmag

[61]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 5
    libra113 wrote:
    smegmag wrote:
    libra113 wrote:
    Well yeah, AFTER all was said and done they probably met and Colt ended up writing thoes lines.

He wrote the lines about Elkins April 1860 a year before the shoot out. However, maybe they both witnesssed the shootout and the boys disappearing into thin air. If Elkins saw that maybe his questions became more insistent and Colt finally answered, hence the beginning of their real friendship.
    Hard to imagine that he would have written them before. Still, I guess it points to a prior encounter.

Of course the notes they found had Colt take credit for hunting and killing the Phoniex so I guess it's sort of a self edited version of events.

Yeah, you are right he did self edit quite a bit, but I think he did it to protect the timeline and to prevent corruption of history, He omitted his encounter with future Sam and he returned Sam's future technology along with the all important ashes. HOWEVER, he did not claim credit for the phoenix kill, his journal said "gun killed a phoenix" which was true--he like show writers is a master of the ambiguous. Colt was one smartass, badass hunter--totally lovin' him.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sinjaceheroes

[62]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 14

What I hope they explain is why would the ashes of a phoenix be able to kill Eve. It stands to reason that there is only one Eve and not a species. So, how would whoever wrote that entry know the ashes of a phoenix could kill her?

This is the problem with singular creatures.

I hope when they tell Eve tonight that they have the ashes, she'll in turn say why it would kill her. Doubt it....but hoping never hurts.

smegmag

[63]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 5

sinjaceheroes wrote:

What I hope they explain is why would the ashes of a phoenix be able to kill Eve. It stands to reason that there is only one Eve and not a species. So, how would whoever wrote that entry know the ashes of a phoenix could kill her?

I hope when they tell Eve tonight that they have the ashes, she'll in turn say why it would kill her. Doubt it....but hoping never hurts.

I stopped asking questions that hard long, long ago.

Especially since Eve/Mother hasnt been topside for 10,000 years--predating our earliest known system of writing. So I guess some loyal illuminatis carried this info in oral tradition until someone finally wrote it down or translated it into a language Bobby could understand.

Also since the book didnt say it would kill the mother only that it would burn her--just like in the fairy episode where the leprechaun burned in the presence of iron, but didn't burn up. They also don't indicate how much ash would be required--I personally would have tried to load up a whole burlap sack to take down this beast--but I'm sure things will work out--looking forward to this ep.

libra113

[64]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 27
    sinjaceheroes wrote:

Well, yeah there's ONE Eve but that doesn't mean there's just one of whatever she is. I mean there was on Yellow Eyes but there are countless demons (maybe even some, still unseen, with yellow eyes, small y on that).

It's also possible that there's a connection of some kind that creates a link. Perhaps they're her first children and there's something written somewhere that he first children have special power over her in some form.

danharr

[65]Apr 29, 2011
    • level: 45

Good episode stand alone and pushes the story arc great job writers and it was great to see a legends end after a life of hunting and loved the one liners never walk up to a bunch of old west tough guys and say you're looking for a man lol!

DennisDinges

[66]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 3

I think nobody brought this up yet: When Sam meets Samuel Colt, he says that he's a hunter from the year 2011. Well, shouldn't it be 2012 since at the beginning of season 6 we learn that the show jumped over one year?

lachlan_j_g

[67]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 11

DennisDinges wrote:

I think nobody brought this up yet: When Sam meets Samuel Colt, he says that he's a hunter from the year 2011. Well, shouldn't it be 2012 since at the beginning of season 6 we learn that the show jumped over one year?

the season 5 episode 'The End' was set in 2009. so even if the final battle didn't take place until mid 2010, a year on would still be 2011

libra113

[68]Apr 30, 2011
    Yeah, in most of the past seasons the story picked up right where it left off.

Then season three picked up like a week after the ending of season two (or maybe two weeks, it was pretty close).

Then season four picked up three months later (skipping the summer when Dean was in Hell).

Five picked up right where season four left off and this season was one year later.

BarryWeen3

[69]Apr 30, 2011
    • level: 14

libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, pretty much what I said except I didn't remember the other evil witch or the name of the one in the North (guess that didn't make the original 12 books ). I have to say the movie would have been better if it stuck closer to the original "Wizard of Oz" book becasue there are a lot of really good details that got lost in the translation.

Oh, I know. Was just expanding stuff based on your fount of knowledge.

libra113

[70]Apr 30, 2011
    BarryWeen3 wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Yeah, pretty much what I said except I didn't remember the other evil witch or the name of the one in the North (guess that didn't make the original 12 books ). I have to say the movie would have been better if it stuck closer to the original "Wizard of Oz" book becasue there are a lot of really good details that got lost in the translation.

Oh, I know. Was just expanding stuff based on your fount of knowledge.

Well, I wasn't too sure since I haven't read those books in YEARS.

When I was a kid we had hardcovers of all the original books written by Baum but by the time they got to me (after three sisters) they weren't in the best of shape and while they were readable, as I said, it's been a long while.

Still, a couple of friends and I read them growing up and they're still a fondly remembered part of my childhood.

haldrey

[71]May 2, 2011
    • level: 22
    Solid, funny Back to the Future-ish episode. Loved all the references to the old cowboy shows and films like Bonanza, High Noon, etc.