Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: How ti Win Friends... (possible spoilers)

libra113

[21]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 27
    SohiHien wrote:
    Yeah I don't know what is going on with the leviathans either. Seems like corporate world domination or something. Plus I find that fact that they can be harmed by simple laundry soap pretty lame.

The show is taking a three week break and the final episode before christmas is on the 9th (I think it might be the 2nd) of December. Then it will be some time in January when the show starts up again

Next episode preview leaves me worried because Bobby is in the hospital and aparently is in a bad enough way that the doctors tell Sam and Dean he is pretty much going to die. So I really hope they find some way to save him or I will likely stop watching. They already ruined Cas' character and gave him a horrible death and then just get rid of the impala with no more word about why she has to stay gone or that anyone seems to miss her and now maybe killing off Bobby? No thanks.
    I see it all now. Bobby has a near death experance and sees Cas who tells him something important then brings Bobby back (coming along for the ride) to make sure that Sam and Dean get the message.

As for the impala if you listen to what Bobby's friend was saying in the recap last night they have to cut all ties with their past identites and tendencies and as cool as the impala is it sticks out like a sore tumb. So for now they they have to use something else, at least until the heat it off.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

puppybunny1

[22]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 13

The Powers that Be killed off Misha/Castiel. I hope that they don't kill off Bobby. This season is going down fast in a bad way.

jpi1982

[24]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 3

SohiHien wrote:
    Yeah I don't know what is going on with the leviathans either. Seems like corporate world domination or something. Plus I find that fact that they can be harmed by simple laundry soap pretty lame.

The episodes have been entertaining, but I do have a huge problem with the leviathans. To me they feel more like some powerful masters minions and not the masters themselves. It would have been better if it turned out the they in fact where not leviathans, but actually only minions trying to beak out the real leviathans. That would actually make more sense because killing a leviathan seems quite easy so far. If soap works like acid, they could just dissolve the leviathans in tub filled with soap and then spread out the bathwater. Spray some on your lawn, some down you toilet and a last "water" left in the tub you can put in a tank were you mix all the "leviathans" you kill. I can not see that the leviathans would be able to reassemble them selves after that within the next 100 years.
    The fact that the boss was not immune either (just a bit more resistant) made me loose all faith in them as villains. Hit him with soap and push him in a pool of soap and he will die like the rest.

If you could choose you weapon, who would you rather face? The strongest warlock/witch on the planet or the 10 strongest leviathans?
    I know what I would choose => (just give me a huge soap-tank and a strong high-Pressure Spray)

libra113

[25]Nov 19, 2011
    Well first it's not soap it's chemical cleaner, secondly it just burns, to REALLY kill them you have to chop off the head and keep the head and body seperate and thridly where do you propose that they set up a tub of chemical cleaner and how do they dunk them in? I doubt they're going to just jump willingly into it.

As for the rest I doubt we've seen the full on Levithans in their own flesh. So far all we've seen is them inside Cas and then taking human form. Once they've fattend up humanity and made the docial enough to show their true selves there's no telling what's going to happen.

jpi1982

[26]Nov 19, 2011

libra113 wrote:
    Well first it's not soap it's chemical cleaner

It is an ingredient in the chemical cleaner that burns them. And you can find it in floor cleaning soaps (that is how they discovered it)
    Also, you can also get this ingredient in concentrated form. Imagen the damage that would do to a leviathan (it would be at least 100 times stronger)

libra113 wrote:
    secondly it just burns

This is how acid works. If you get acid on your hand, it burns you, but if you put your hand in acid it will devolve your hand. The rate at which it desolves you hand depends on how strong the acid is and we have seen that this is a very strong acid for leviathans.

libra113 wrote:
    REALLY kill them you have to chop off the head and keep the head and body seperate and thridly where do you propose that they set up a tub of chemical cleaner and how do they dunk them in? I doubt they're going to just jump willingly into it.

You missed my point on this one. You can not actually kill a leviathan, you only disable them until they put them selves together. If you dissolve them, putting them back together again would be close the impossible.
    If you first spray a leviathan with the chemical that burns them, cutting of their heads becomes very easy as we have seen. And then after cutting of the head, you dissolve them.

libra113 wrote:
    As for the rest I doubt we've seen the full on Levithans in their own flesh. So far all we've seen is them inside Cas and then taking human form. Once they've fattend up humanity and made the docial enough to show their true selves there's no telling what's going to happen.

So you agree that the leviathans needs an upgrade? Why would they need to wait until humans becomes docile before reaching their true power. And if this is so, was it not then extremely dumb to declare war against all demons before getting their true power?

Tyrathius

[27]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 4

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

I will be very surprised if Bobby actually dies and stays dead, because Bobby always survives. We haven't seen Cas since 7x02, but if he truly is dead (I have the same doubts about him) killing off Bobby ten episodes later would just be overkill. Offing longtime fan favorites that rapidly is just going to piss the fanbase off, and after six seasons of killing everyone but Sam/Dean/Bobby/Castiel, I can't imagine them suddenly starting now. If I'm wrong, kudos to the writing staff for actually having the balls to shake up the status quo.

I like the boss leviathan. He's got a funny sort of charm to him. I wish I could say the same for the other leviathans, but he's the only one who really sticks out to me. All the others are either blank (like Edgar) or just try too hard to be frightening when they aren't any good at it (the Doctor and that one guy who witch Spike zapped). So far I've found them to be pretty disappointing. Their plan seems to amount to 1. Infiltrate human society 2. Kill Sam and Dean 3. ???? 4. Profit! These guys were apparently bad enough that God felt the need to lock them away, but so far they haven't done anything to make them seem any worse than angels or even demons. They're just shapeshifters who eat people and are hard to kill. Trying to make people fat and complacent through drugged hamburgers isn't exactly what I'd call grade A villainy.

Am I the only one who thought it was remarkably stupid of Sam and Dean to run in after Bobby with the soap, but not anything to cut off heads with? Surely they must have had a few blades in their van full of guns, right? I guess it wouldn't do for them to have grabbed Dick's head and made off with it then and there.

Anyway, I actually did enjoy this episode -It was a lot better than last weeks- it just seems like the leviathans get less threatening with every appearance. Where is the Cthulhuian stuff? The mind breaking? The black goats? Anything?

Well, I'm thinking the idea of making people fat and docile is to turn the human race into fatted cattle. If people are so complacent that their own grandmother can lay dead in the same room for who knows how long then who is going to question random people dissappearing or remains being found here or there. It would be the final step before all out feeding and then they won't have to hold back like they do now or worry about resistance even if that resistance would have just been a handful of hunters with cleaning products and axes.

It's not so much I don't think they have a plan as it is I think the plan they have is just silly. Taking over the world through drugged hamburgers? Making everybody fat so there's more to eat? That sounds like the kind of thing you'd see in a cartoon, and after villains like Azazel and Lucifer I just can't take these guys seriously.

As for the Impala, I just don't see how "We're on the run" is justification for not using it. Throughout seasons 1-6 Sam and Dean were constantly on the run from the FBI, demons, and angels. The Impala was never a liability then, and angels are far more capable than the leviathans have ever been shown to be.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this season but it just seems like it's slowly taking away everything that makes Supernatural the show it is. The bad guys aren't a credible threat, Dean is more emo than funny, Cas and the Impala are gone, Sam's return from Hell has been almost completely glossed over, and now we may be losing Bobby.

dman_dustin

[28]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 8

jpi1982 wrote:

It is an ingredient in the chemical cleaner that burns them. And you can find it in floor cleaning soaps (that is how they discovered it)

Also, you can also get this ingredient in concentrated form. Imagen the damage that would do to a leviathan (it would be at least 100 times stronger)

Chemical cleaners can actually irritate human skin, so it isn't like you can get a tub full of hand soap and expect to see the same thing.

Besides look at how old the leviathans are, back then they weren't around that stuff, so they weren't around humans when they created, so they have no immunity to it. It could be like man-made radiation for us. Radiation Poisoning can kill us, and we created it, and was probably barely in existence back in the beginning. Thus we have a chemical, that was designed to remove scum off the floor. So its a reasonable explanation why Leviathans are weak to it. It would just be like Silver Bullets and Werewolves or something, and if I'm not mistaken, real science has already said that silver bullets are actually worse than regular bullets when it comes to hunting and killing, something about not getting as much force not hitting the target as powerfully or something to that effect. So a weaker bullet kills a dangerous animal like a werewolf, just because of it's composition. Same with Vampires and wooden stakes. Are you telling me a metal stake wouldn't be nearly as effective, even though with humans we'd die faster from a metal stake than a wooden stake?

So yeah just because its "household cleaner" doesn't mean it shouldn't be any less effective simply because they are leviathans.

:
    This is how acid works. If you get acid on your hand, it burns you, but if you put your hand in acid it will devolve your hand. The rate at which it desolves you hand depends on how strong the acid is and we have seen that this is a very strong acid for leviathans.
    One problem even though it burns them, they do heal quickly far faster than humans and acid. Sam and Dean and anyone would have to constantly spray them just to keep them immobilized, and then what happens when you run out?

:
    You missed my point on this one. You can not actually kill a leviathan, you only disable them until they put them selves together. If you dissolve them, putting them back together again would be close the impossible.
    If you first spray a leviathan with the chemical that burns them, cutting of their heads becomes very easy as we have seen. And then after cutting of the head, you dissolve them.
    Another few problems, the Leviathans absorb the chemical and heal anyway. One little ounce of cleaner won't immobilize a leviathan forever, like I said you have to keep spraying it on them. And even then if we assume there's a tub full of "borax" or whatever, concentrated or not, eventually the borax is going to be absorbed. So if there are thousands of Leviathans that probably means thousands of tubs full of borax, and Libra has a point, they aren't going to willingly jump in, you might be able to get ten or twenty, but a thousand, that's way too much effort. There would have to be hundreds of hunters, no make that thousands of hunters like Sam, Dean, and Bobby doing the same exact thing.

The second problem I'm envisioning is even if they were liquid goo, I'm assuming they can reform from that. This is assuming that the borax would melt the skeleton of the human they are inhabiting. If the skeleton remains, than it could be like Doomsday from DC comics, even if it takes a long time, they probably can regenerate from that, and that's ignoring all that Leviathan/human goo from the melted body that could probably just regenerate.

After all remember, that one dude reformed his head and body together when there was no possible way that could've happened, so his head must've been alive enough to somehow crawl and hook itself back to its body and heal.

And another problem, is we don't know if concentrated "borax" can completely dissolve a leviathan. It may burn like hell, but they might just heal WAY TOO fast. Probably at best you'll get some deformed/burned body that has some tissue, and then it could easily regenerate from there.

So this cleaning agent they use, might just be like salt or even iron for ghosts, it irritates them, and is a pain in their ass, but it won't kill them like burning their bones will (the thing we have yet to see for Leviathans).

The cleaning agent is probably at best an immobilizing weapon so that they could actually kill the leviathan with something else.

All of this is also under the assumption that they just don't develop an immunity to the stuff. Like humans/animals and medicine, eventually the body gains a tolerance for it, and it is no longer effective so you have to get stronger and stronger stuff. Right now though, nothing is stronger than "borax"

libra113

[29]Nov 19, 2011
    jpi1982 wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Well first it's not soap it's chemical cleaner

libra113 wrote:
    secondly it just burns

libra113 wrote:
    REALLY kill them you have to chop off the head and keep the head and body seperate and thridly where do you propose that they set up a tub of chemical cleaner and how do they dunk them in? I doubt they're going to just jump willingly into it.

libra113 wrote:

So you agree that the leviathans needs an upgrade? Why would they need to wait until humans becomes docile before reaching their true power. And if this is so, was it not then extremely dumb to declare war against all demons before getting their true power?

Yes, I know how acid works, thanks mister wizard. Still, as you see it only burns breifly and they start healing right away. Now if you maybe used it to get one off guard, cut it's head off then drop the corpse in an old tub full of the stuff and maybe then put something on top and put the whole thing in the ground that might work out. I also think it might be time to put the stuff in some super soakers and go to town on them.

I don't know that they NEED an upgrade so much as I'm sure they either haven't reached full power OR haven't used their full power yet. Clearly, they're powerful but they seem to want to maintain a low profile for some reason (perhaps they're afrid God will lock them up again) so they're doing things stealthly and carefully, for now.

libra113

[30]Nov 19, 2011
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

I will be very surprised if Bobby actually dies and stays dead, because Bobby always survives. We haven't seen Cas since 7x02, but if he truly is dead (I have the same doubts about him) killing off Bobby ten episodes later would just be overkill. Offing longtime fan favorites that rapidly is just going to piss the fanbase off, and after six seasons of killing everyone but Sam/Dean/Bobby/Castiel, I can't imagine them suddenly starting now. If I'm wrong, kudos to the writing staff for actually having the balls to shake up the status quo.

I like the boss leviathan. He's got a funny sort of charm to him. I wish I could say the same for the other leviathans, but he's the only one who really sticks out to me. All the others are either blank (like Edgar) or just try too hard to be frightening when they aren't any good at it (the Doctor and that one guy who witch Spike zapped). So far I've found them to be pretty disappointing. Their plan seems to amount to 1. Infiltrate human society 2. Kill Sam and Dean 3. ???? 4. Profit! These guys were apparently bad enough that God felt the need to lock them away, but so far they haven't done anything to make them seem any worse than angels or even demons. They're just shapeshifters who eat people and are hard to kill. Trying to make people fat and complacent through drugged hamburgers isn't exactly what I'd call grade A villainy.

Am I the only one who thought it was remarkably stupid of Sam and Dean to run in after Bobby with the soap, but not anything to cut off heads with? Surely they must have had a few blades in their van full of guns, right? I guess it wouldn't do for them to have grabbed Dick's head and made off with it then and there.

Anyway, I actually did enjoy this episode -It was a lot better than last weeks- it just seems like the leviathans get less threatening with every appearance. Where is the Cthulhuian stuff? The mind breaking? The black goats? Anything?

Well, I'm thinking the idea of making people fat and docile is to turn the human race into fatted cattle. If people are so complacent that their own grandmother can lay dead in the same room for who knows how long then who is going to question random people dissappearing or remains being found here or there. It would be the final step before all out feeding and then they won't have to hold back like they do now or worry about resistance even if that resistance would have just been a handful of hunters with cleaning products and axes.

It's not so much I don't think they have a plan as it is I think the plan they have is just silly. Taking over the world through drugged hamburgers? Making everybody fat so there's more to eat? That sounds like the kind of thing you'd see in a cartoon, and after villains like Azazel and Lucifer I just can't take these guys seriously.

As for the Impala, I just don't see how "We're on the run" is justification for not using it. Throughout seasons 1-6 Sam and Dean were constantly on the run from the FBI, demons, and angels. The Impala was never a liability then, and angels are far more capable than the leviathans have ever been shown to be.

I'm trying to remain optimistic about this season but it just seems like it's slowly taking away everything that makes Supernatural the show it is. The bad guys aren't a credible threat, Dean is more emo than funny, Cas and the Impala are gone, Sam's return from Hell has been almost completely glossed over, and now we may be losing Bobby.

I think you're missing the point. It's not so much taking over the world as turning it into their own personal McDonald's and one thing you do with cattle is fatten them up. Another thing you defently don't want with cattle is fighting back. Fat and docile is EXACTLY what they would want out of humans.

They're on the run and in hiding on a level that they've never been before. It's been only weeks since they were all over the news killing people and as we saw in the psychic episode they CAN still be spotted. Since the Impala was also mentioned being spotted driving that around would make things worse. It's one thing to be spotted in a resturant or store and be able to laugh it off but to be spotted in the SAME car that the killers were driving is kinda hard to pawn off. Also, in case you haven't noticed the streets of America are not exactly lousey with black vintage Impalas so that would be like wearing a sign saying "hey Levithans come kill us now".

I'm not sure why you don't find nearly unkillable monsters who eat people and can assume human form non-threating but I certinally wouldn't want to tangle with them. Hell even the borax thing only slows them down and beheading only stops them from coming back and only if you steal the head, otherwise they cannot die. Doesn't seem non-threatening to me. Not sure what you're looking for here.

Tyrathius

[31]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 4

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

I think you're missing the point. It's not so much taking over the world as turning it into their own personal McDonald's and one thing you do with cattle is fatten them up. Another thing you defently don't want with cattle is fighting back. Fat and docile is EXACTLY what they would want out of humans. They're on the run and in hiding on a level that they've never been before. It's been only weeks since they were all over the news killing people and as we saw in the psychic episode they CAN still be spotted. Since the Impala was also mentioned being spotted driving that around would make things worse. It's one thing to be spotted in a resturant or store and be able to laugh it off but to be spotted in the SAME car that the killers were driving is kinda hard to pawn off. Also, in case you haven't noticed the streets of America are not exactly lousey with black vintage Impalas so that would be like wearing a sign saying "hey Levithans come kill us now". I'm not sure why you don't find nearly unkillable monsters who eat people and can assume human form non-threating but I certinally wouldn't want to tangle with them. Hell even the borax thing only slows them down and beheading only stops them from coming back and only if you steal the head, otherwise they cannot die. Doesn't seem non-threatening to me. Not sure what you're looking for here.

I'm not saying their plan doesn't make sense. I'm saying it's just too ridiculous to seem threatening. First you have Azazel, who opens a doorway to Hell and lets lose hundreds of other demons. Then Lilith, who sends Dean to Hell and eventually frees Lucifer. Lucifer starts the apocalypse and nearly destroys the entire world. Then the leviathans come and... Fatten everyone up to eat them? It's just silly, especially after all this buildup about how terrible the leviathans are.

Again, the FBI/demons/angels all presumably knew what Sam and Dean's car looked like. But that didn't stop them from using it in earlier seasons. The general public thinks Sam and Dean are dead, and most of them aren't going to remember what a couple of guys they saw on the news weeks ago looked like or what kind of car they drove. Hell, even the leviathans don't seem to be actively looking for them after SF. Unlike seasons 2 and 3 running from the law is not an active part of the plot, so there's no reason to get rid of the Impala. It's an iconic part of the show and they shouldn't just casually discard it like that.

The leviathans are just shapeshifters who eat people and are hard to kill, with a weakness to borax instead of holy water. For a monster of the week, that would be fine, but for the big bads it's a bit disappointing. Demons were nigh invulnerable, at least before the knife and the Colt were introduced. They had telekenesis, many could work spells, and while the weaker ones had weaknesses like salt and holy water most of the stronger demons were immune. Then angels come along, and are all but invincible, only being killable with the blades they carry (and even then, they're generally too fast and strong to be hit with -Pretty much every angel except Zach was killed by Cas or another angel) and can warp, heal major wounds instantly, bring people back from the dead, travel through time, and alter reality. Pretty much anything would look non-threatening after angels, but with leviathans we're told how terrible and strong they are even though none of them really seem to have done anything to merit it.

dpebbleson

[32]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 23
    I liked this episode. For me it showed how the show, intentionally or unintentionally, has become a sort of a study of human flaws.

First we had demons, petty beings, basic instincts, greed, lust, desire for destruction.

Then come angels, rational and orderly beings with exactly non-existing emotional intelligence, capable of annihilating whole towns just to fulfill their plans.

In the midst of it we had Lucifer, an anti-angel who never learn to grow up and mature, and ended up like a whining kid seeking attention, all the while having the power to destroy the world. A metaphor for humans who haven't matured as a species enough but who still hold weapons of mass destruction? Maybe not exact metaphor, but applicable just as well.

Then we got monsters, i.e., the metaphor for theories of natural laws. Remember Eve - as long as there was balance, it was okay to kill monsters, and for monsters to kill humans, just as long as there was fair play. Natural selection and all that. The fittest for survival.

Leviathans are somewhat evolved version of that, only that in this episode they've come to represent the current (capitalistic) economic system. "We're not Wall Street, we've got integrity", said Crowley. Indeed. Leviathans don't really have integrity, just as those from Wall Street he mentioned. They've come to represent the commercial civilization of nowadays, dumbed down by senseless reality shows, fattened by the fast food, docile, manipulated by the mass media. There's a lot of social criticism in Dick the Leviathan's plan to "dumb them" but "not make them eat each other".

I dunno, this was a very literary episode for me, I enjoyed the metaphors more than the story itself, though they can't be that much separated

lachlan_j_g

[33]Nov 19, 2011
    • level: 11

Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

I think you're missing the point. It's not so much taking over the world as turning it into their own personal McDonald's and one thing you do with cattle is fatten them up. Another thing you defently don't want with cattle is fighting back. Fat and docile is EXACTLY what they would want out of humans. They're on the run and in hiding on a level that they've never been before. It's been only weeks since they were all over the news killing people and as we saw in the psychic episode they CAN still be spotted. Since the Impala was also mentioned being spotted driving that around would make things worse. It's one thing to be spotted in a resturant or store and be able to laugh it off but to be spotted in the SAME car that the killers were driving is kinda hard to pawn off. Also, in case you haven't noticed the streets of America are not exactly lousey with black vintage Impalas so that would be like wearing a sign saying "hey Levithans come kill us now". I'm not sure why you don't find nearly unkillable monsters who eat people and can assume human form non-threating but I certinally wouldn't want to tangle with them. Hell even the borax thing only slows them down and beheading only stops them from coming back and only if you steal the head, otherwise they cannot die. Doesn't seem non-threatening to me. Not sure what you're looking for here.

I'm not saying their plan doesn't make sense. I'm saying it's just too ridiculous to seem threatening. First you have Azazel, who opens a doorway to Hell and lets lose hundreds of other demons. Then Lilith, who sends Dean to Hell and eventually frees Lucifer. Lucifer starts the apocalypse and nearly destroys the entire world. Then the leviathans come and... Fatten everyone up to eat them? It's just silly, especially after all this buildup about how terrible the leviathans are.

Again, the FBI/demons/angels all presumably knew what Sam and Dean's car looked like. But that didn't stop them from using it in earlier seasons. The general public thinks Sam and Dean are dead, and most of them aren't going to remember what a couple of guys they saw on the news weeks ago looked like or what kind of car they drove. Hell, even the leviathans don't seem to be actively looking for them after SF. Unlike seasons 2 and 3 running from the law is not an active part of the plot, so there's no reason to get rid of the Impala. It's an iconic part of the show and they shouldn't just casually discard it like that.

The leviathans are just shapeshifters who eat people and are hard to kill, with a weakness to borax instead of holy water. For a monster of the week, that would be fine, but for the big bads it's a bit disappointing. Demons were nigh invulnerable, at least before the knife and the Colt were introduced. They had telekenesis, many could work spells, and while the weaker ones had weaknesses like salt and holy water most of the stronger demons were immune. Then angels come along, and are all but invincible, only being killable with the blades they carry (and even then, they're generally too fast and strong to be hit with -Pretty much every angel except Zach was killed by Cas or another angel) and can warp, heal major wounds instantly, bring people back from the dead, travel through time, and alter reality. Pretty much anything would look non-threatening after angels, but with leviathans we're told how terrible and strong they are even though none of them really seem to have done anything to merit it.

did the FBI etc know what car the boys had? not until they (Leviathans)broadcasted it did they know about the car.

libra113

[34]Nov 19, 2011
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

I don't think fatting up the cattle IS the end game, it's a means to an end. Perhaps they reach full power once they gourge themselves enough and in the meantime they're taking it slow BECASUE they're not at full power. We have to remember what we're seeing is human form Leviathan and we have no idea what a pure Liviathan would be like or capable of doing.

Well I REMEMBER just a couple of weeks ago a woman in a resturant reconised them and they were able to play it off. If they had been outside, in broad daylight, in a black Impala (which are pretty rare cars these days) it just MIGHT have been a bit harder to play it off. Also, exactly WHEN was the FBI thing really used in season two? Hendrickson only appeared a few times. They only mentioned it a few times and depite Sam's claims that the had to lay low they pretty much did their jobs as always (except for maybe "Houses of the Holy" where Sam had Dean on lockdown right after the bank thing the episode before). In fact after "Fulsome Prision Blues" they said they were going to have to go down deep and all they did was change their plates and take more backroada (which was really stupid).

As I said there just aren't that many vintage black Impalas driving around the country and it makes WAY more sense for them to not use it for awhile than to just change the plates. In fact if Sam and Dean were real they would have changed cars years ago because the Impala is just too much of a give away.

As for the power of the Livathans. As I said before what makes you think we've seen their full power or what they're toatally capable of and lets be clear about their weaknessess: Borax burns them but only to a point and they heal instantly. Beheading slows them down but unless the head is MILES from the body they can rise up again. That's pretty close to unkillable and these few weaknesses they have are not exactly game ending or totally effective.

libra113

[35]Nov 19, 2011
    dpebbleson wrote:
    I liked this episode. For me it showed how the show, intentionally or unintentionally, has become a sort of a study of human flaws.

First we had demons, petty beings, basic instincts, greed, lust, desire for destruction.

Then come angels, rational and orderly beings with exactly non-existing emotional intelligence, capable of annihilating whole towns just to fulfill their plans.

In the midst of it we had Lucifer, an anti-angel who never learn to grow up and mature, and ended up like a whining kid seeking attention, all the while having the power to destroy the world. A metaphor for humans who haven't matured as a species enough but who still hold weapons of mass destruction? Maybe not exact metaphor, but applicable just as well.

Then we got monsters, i.e., the metaphor for theories of natural laws. Remember Eve - as long as there was balance, it was okay to kill monsters, and for monsters to kill humans, just as long as there was fair play. Natural selection and all that. The fittest for survival.

Leviathans are somewhat evolved version of that, only that in this episode they've come to represent the current (capitalistic) economic system. "We're not Wall Street, we've got integrity", said Crowley. Indeed. Leviathans don't really have integrity, just as those from Wall Street he mentioned. They've come to represent the commercial civilization of nowadays, dumbed down by senseless reality shows, fattened by the fast food, docile, manipulated by the mass media. There's a lot of social criticism in Dick the Leviathan's plan to "dumb them" but "not make them eat each other".

I dunno, this was a very literary episode for me, I enjoyed the metaphors more than the story itself, though they can't be that much separated
    Very true. On top of which let's not just dismiss the name Dick as penis joke and remember a certain Dick who was mentioned on the show before and was, in real life, pretty disliked and questionable himself.

libra113

[36]Nov 19, 2011
    lachlan_j_g wrote:

Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

libra113 wrote:
    Tyrathius wrote:

did the FBI etc know what car the boys had? not until they (Leviathans)broadcasted it did they know about the car.

I think they were talking about season two when Sam and Dean were originally wanted by the FBI. To me this time while being much more breif was more realistic than last time becasue last time it seemed to hardly hinder Sam and Dean at all, they took few steps to hide themelves AND they didn't change the car. As I said in another post in real life they would have changed cars years ago. In fact I would add now that, in real life, they would change cars every few weeks or so to avoid leaving a trail. It's only becasue the Impala became so popular and such a part of the show that we've all had to ingore that bit of unreality and go along. For everyone fretting about it I'm sure it will make a triumphant return and think how great that will be.

jpi1982

[37]Nov 19, 2011

After seeing a few leviathan-encounters again I agree that they would probable not dissolve in borax (but hopefully Bobby tried chopping of the leviathans arm and drop it into the bucket filled with soapwater of screen just in case)
    (though I only suggested that as a way to significantly slow down their reassembly and not to kill them. They have still not found any way of actually kill a leviathan)
    It looks like it's only their "human skin" that melts away (within seconds), but the pain immortalizes them.
    When it comes to fast healing, we have only seen Dick being able to do that. Dean and Sam did face 4 leviathans prior to meeting Dick with only a small container of "soap" each and were able to incapacitate them using that. (they where not being chased when fighting Dick, and Sam even had some soap left)
    So if Sam arms himself with a big tank of soap-water and Dean with a katana/chainsaw, they would be able to drop leviathans like flies (unless they met Dick) and they would only need to take the heads to prevent them from reassembling.
    So I still feel that the leviathans need a huge upgrade (like it turning out that they were only using a tiny portion of their real power) to justify god locking them away. Also them declaring war against all demons at a time when the leviathans either chose to or are forced to lay low makes very little sense. A pair of demons armed with soap and chainsaw would be even more dangerous than Sam and Dean D:

libra113

[38]Nov 19, 2011
    Well who knows how many more of Dick's level there are and you wouldn't want to wade through a sea of footsoldier Leviathans only to run out of borax (sorry can't call it soap or soapy water that devalues the whole thing ) and be face to face with one or more of his kind.

As for 'declaring war', not sure Dick actually declared war he just showed a good deal of distaste toward them and given that the demons are staying away and leaving Sam, Dean and Bobby to deal with them that kinda hints at more than meets the eye OR the ability to fake it.

dpebbleson

[39]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 23
    libra113 wrote:
    Very true. On top of which let's not just dismiss the name Dick as penis joke and remember a certain Dick who was mentioned on the show before and was, in real life, pretty disliked and questionable himself.

Ahaha, indeed, I missed that reference, you're right! And both DICKs support that guns organization, forgot its name

MacBeth_668

[40]Nov 20, 2011
    • level: 12
    I may be wrong(and probably am) but is this Trey Parker and Matt Stone? http://imgur.com/eCChb It's about 19 minutes into the episode where they realize there is something wrong with the Turducken.