Supernatural Forums

Tuesday 9:00 PM on The CWBetween Seasons

Official Discussion Thread: Mannequin 3: The Reckoning (possible spoilers)

Gislef

[1]Feb 14, 2011
    • level: 100
    Please direct all general and specific discussion of the 2/18/11 episode "Mannequin 3: The Reckoning" to this thread.

Enjoy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

libra113

[2]Feb 15, 2011
    • level: 27
    Should be scary. I remember, when I was a kid, seeing that "Twilight Zone" episodes with the manniquins coming to life and being freaked by manniquins for months after and the less said about killer dolls and their all out creep factor the better.

taxcat11

[3]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 5
    Did you see Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black(?) and the little voodoo doll? Way scarier than the Twilight Zone. The little guy knew how to use a knife.

libra113

[4]Feb 16, 2011
    • level: 27
    taxcat11 wrote:
    Did you see Trilogy of Terror with Karen Black(?) and the little voodoo doll? Way scarier than the Twilight Zone. The little guy knew how to use a knife.
    Sounds familuar. There is a long and storied history of evil/possessed dolls and maniquins so nothing else they're on solid ground on that score and I'm acutally suprised it took them this long to get around to it (especially with the room full of creepy dolls they had in "Playthings"). I seem to recall reference to a real life 'possessed' doll in one of the "Supernatural" novels although it wasn't really the main point of the book, it was just a bit of local color.

lachlan_j_g

[5]Feb 17, 2011
    • level: 11
    yeah I agree, this one will be a bit freaky - mannequins are scary, with their shapeless faces. hopefully will be a good filler episode, the next one I think continues the Raph vs Cas storyline which will be awesome

smegmag

[6]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 4
    Yes, I remember it well, I was a little kid and I was scared for a week. Now that was nust see tv.

smegmag

[7]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 4
    smegmag wrote:
    Yes, I remember it well, I was a little kid and I was scared for a week. Now that was nust see tv.

Opps meant to reference the "Trilogy of Terror" comment above.

CaptainHarkness

[8]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 23

This one looks a bit freaky. I'm hoping we get a little bit of stuff covering the Mother storyline even if it is just within the last 5 minutes.

KingofIPirates

[9]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 32
    Subpar episode, nothing particularly interesting happened in this one as the overall plot couldn't have been more routine and mundane.

taxcat11

[10]Feb 18, 2011

A likeable episode overall, the ending fall a little flat - seriously prankster 3 has a mannequin for a girlfriend? I think they could have done better than that. And the sister accidently dying is the solution to the vengeful ghost? That was weak too. But other than that I enjoyed this episode.

dman_dustin

[11]Feb 18, 2011
    • level: 8

The episode was okay, I pretty much was okay with it. But sad ending though. And while I don't care too much I kind of wish Lisa and Ben weren't in this episode. I don't hate them, nor do I love them but UGH I didn't want to see anything like that. Would it kill them to make it an actual emergency for Dean to go to them, not some Ben feint hat pull?

But next week. Hilarious. I'm loving it already. I'm not going to give any spoiler, but my goodness, I cannot believe they are actually pulling that off. Wow, I just love it. I can't wait for hilarity to ensue next week.

Is it next week yet?

TylerA46

[12]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 11

So why did the sister die?

dman_dustin

[13]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 8

TylerA46 wrote:

Well she died because she was impaled by a huge "shard of glass" but how she got impaled in the first place, I'm not sure. I can't tell if it was intentional or accidental. on her part. It seemed like right before she got impaled, the girl knew that it was her dead sister that was haunting them, and they mentioned kidney, so it's possible she came to the conclusion that something happening to her kidney would stop her sister from continuing to haunt them, but it was probably accidental. Though again how she even got impaled in the first place (when nothing hurt Sam or Dean) is beyond me.

You are referring to the one that died at the end, right?

If not the first one died because she hit her head on a table, hard enough that she died. Is that even possible? I know without medical treatment, sure, yes you're going to die, but is there such thing as a sweet spot, that if you hit just right can instantly kill you? I suppose her neck could've snapped in the process, but I don't know.

presario111

[14]Feb 19, 2011

well this wuz just ur run of the mill ghost filler episode but its been a while since weve had one but it was ok not the best ghost episode and certanly not the worst. i dont know why but i thought for sure samuel was gna be behind the lisa and ben incident after all hes one of the few people that know about them and he could use it against dean and i would have prefered that over the parent trap scenario.

p.s. when wuz the last time all it took for them to stop a ghost was to burn a corpse. you think they wouldve learned by now to suspect other possibilites

Farmerluk2

[15]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 6

Ok, I liked this episode, but I have to ask what was up with the Sylar head slice?

chikanoman

[16]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 12
    Worst episode ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgusting go hang yourselves writers Mannequins really????

puppybunny1

[17]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 13

I didn't like this episode. What happened to Castiel? He seems not to be in this season a lot. I cannot wait until the next episode. They are going to spoof themselves. That is great!

basenji529

[18]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 15

Deadly sex dolls are cool. Now I'm just wondering what other, ahem, amorous devices can also kill you. Fleshlights? "Male enhancement" pills? (Actually, these might kill you.)Maybe the ladies get a killer vibrator?

estella87

[19]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 14

dman_dustin wrote:

TylerA46 wrote:

Well she died because she was impaled by a huge "shard of glass" but how she got impaled in the first place, I'm not sure. I can't tell if it was intentional or accidental. on her part. It seemed like right before she got impaled, the girl knew that it was her dead sister that was haunting them, and they mentioned kidney, so it's possible she came to the conclusion that something happening to her kidney would stop her sister from continuing to haunt them, but it was probably accidental. Though again how she even got impaled in the first place (when nothing hurt Sam or Dean) is beyond me.

You are referring to the one that died at the end, right?

If not the first one died because she hit her head on a table, hard enough that she died. Is that even possible? I know without medical treatment, sure, yes you're going to die, but is there such thing as a sweet spot, that if you hit just right can instantly kill you? I suppose her neck could've snapped in the process, but I don't know.

To me it looked like the sister was (for some weird unknown reason) running towards Sam and Dean and when the Impala hit the building a shard of the glass must have impaled her somehow - though I really can't tell how it flew from the window towards her in that angle and what speed that shard must have had to impale her like that.

Anyway, it was definitely accidental, judging by the surprised look on her face and the fact that she had no reason at all to commit suicide.

And you can die from hitting your head - it's all about the force of the impact. For all we know (since there never was an autopsy) she could have suffered a skull fracture. She didn't die from the bleeding, obviously, but you never know how much her brain was damaged. It might not be very likely but if she hit her head on the curb (is that the right term?) of the table I'd say it's possible.

Kitanishi

[20]Feb 19, 2011
    • level: 9
    Yet another generic filler episode Supernatural got so taken in for last 3 seasons at least.

This actually put it into new heights - it was a filler INSIDE a filler. For filler A we had a very anti-climatic lisa comeback( i like the character, but that was ridiculous). What did it do? reinforce us that Dean's life is screwed up, nothing is good and he looses people, bla bla, angst.

For Filler B we had killer manequins from hell! The storyline only reinforced...yep...guessed right, Dean's life is screwed up, nothing is good and he looses people, bla bla, angst.

Compared to this episode, last episode's Human-boiler Dragons were a masterpiece. Hey at least that one, as slow and predictable it was, advanced a plot a bit, introducing yet another female the show will kill off~

When I think about it this show mirrors Vampire Diaries, quite well actually - you have two shows centered around monster-slaying, screwed up screwed up family ties and supernatural stuff ravaging a modern setting. However while Vampire diaries manage to go at break-neck pace, doing what a normal show would do in a season in one episode AND SUCCEEDED with that, Supernatural seems to struggle with even simplest plotlines nowadays. We barely get to see anything that matters, get introduced into tons of fillertastic plot and very bare bones of character development.

Creators seemingly promised to bring back season2-3 quality with this part of season, but so far I see them TRYING to capture a feel, but barely succeeding in even making it watchable. The faded screen tint is back, the creeepy-horror-monsters are back, the "dual storylines" are back, yet it fails to capture emotion, enjoyment and plot-quality of season2 and three.

There's just...so much lacking with the show that once was one of the best on tv...